PDA

View Full Version : Mark Milligan

we are hibs
19-12-2018, 11:24 PM
General thoughts? I'm still on the fence with him.

wookie70
19-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Thought he looked good for the first few games and you can see he reads the game very well. Not sure he has adapted to the pace of the game but it is still early days

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 11:25 PM

I’m the same. I’m not sure either way but I feel myself edging towards him not being that great.

hibee_girl
19-12-2018, 11:27 PM
I like him and would have him in the team every week.

SeanWilson
19-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Was chatting to Lovell after the game and we both pointed out the ball he played for Boyle in the second half.... He's a good player, the whole team are just a little off it just now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 11:30 PM
Offers nothing for me. Watched him closely and he is tidy but very ineffective and his general awareness is poor off the ball, to the point where he has cost goals in games. The caveat is that very possibly the pace of the game here has caught him out which it often does when players come from abroad and they are in their twilight years - but it's a 'no' from me and we need to be in the market for a proper enforcer.

Is it a one year deal with an option ? If so, I'd not take up the option.

Smartie
19-12-2018, 11:35 PM
I like him, good player.

Presumably he's on pretty decent cash (given he originally didn't want to join us) so whether or not he's value for money is probably another story.

A better all-round player than Bartley but not as good at the ugly stuff, I'm not convinced another option in this position was really worth pushing the boat out for.

I do think he's a bit old and slow, very good if you give him loads of space but struggles a bit when pressed.

He has more to offer than he's shown so far, hopefully we find a way to see the best of him.

The Harp Awakes
19-12-2018, 11:35 PM

I think he's struggling with the pace of the Scottish game. Always looking for more time on the ball. If he can adjust I think he could be a very good player for us but hasn't looked comfortable in games so far. Thought he did ok tonight though in a difficult game.

FilipinoHibs
19-12-2018, 11:40 PM
I think he's struggling with the pace of the Scottish game. Always looking for more time on the ball. If he can adjust I think he could be a very good player for us but hasn't looked comfortable in games so far. Thought he did ok tonight though in a difficult game.

Thought he was back to normal service after recovering from Aussie trip. No mistakes and neat passer with some crisp balls forward.

Unseen work
19-12-2018, 11:43 PM
I’m still not too convinced tbh.

Does some nice passes but I don’t think he is good enough in one specific area for where we want to go or play.

Fergos
19-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Still early but Id agree with the posters above in that I think he is struggling a bit with the pace of our league, first time im sure he has played league football in Europe and he is nae spring chicken.....2 touches on every ball he receives. Jury still oot.

GGTTH

Zazu62
19-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Not so sure, he’s 33 now getting on a bit, he’s been capped a lot for Australia but they play against poor opposition quite regularly

CMurdoch
19-12-2018, 11:58 PM
I think he was knocked off by the Aussie trip and that might be an age thing.

I would have him in the team every week.
Good tackler, passer, reader of the game and leader. His only downside is a lack of pace. Accordingly should only be used as defensive midfield player.

We were getting a real doing until he came on tonight and stiffened the midfield up with some dig and passing ability. Unfortunately, Mallan was still causing us problems.
Also provides a safe option for Efe to pass to and work with.

Like Slivka before him I don't understand folk not rating him.

hibee_girl
20-12-2018, 12:02 AM

Good tackler, passer, reader of the game and leader. His only downside is a lack of pace. Accordingly should only be used as defensive midfield player.

We were getting a real doing until he came on tonight and stiffened the midfield up with some dig and passing ability. Unfortunately, Mallan was still causing us problems.

:agree:

Fergos
20-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Id love to see him him tackle along more and turn being under pressure into possession and attack, that’s what he isn’t doing enough of from what I’ve seen so far and been shown short in the bigger games. Never right any player off, he has a great range of pass when given time to pick them. Just like to see a bit more from him.

GGTTH

GreenOnions
20-12-2018, 12:27 AM

I agree with this. He's obviously a quality player but he hasn't shown that yet with Hibs.

I think though it won't have helped that our midfield this season is completely new and unsettled. It also doesn't yet have that balance we had last year with a box-to-box player, a final ball guy and a deeper playmaker. Maybe we can add at least one of those to the squad in January?

franck sauzee
20-12-2018, 12:33 AM
His first 2-3 games he seemed like he was exactly what he needed. Sat in front of defence, took the ball, gave it to the more technical players. Read the game well. Could put a tackle in, since then he's looked very slow and his decisions and passing has been very suspect at times

Ozyhibby
20-12-2018, 12:54 AM
First couple of games he looked excellent. Now he is struggling big time. Far too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steakbake
20-12-2018, 12:59 AM
I like him. Tough, uncompromising and has a good touch when he’s on his game. Coming back from injury and it’ll take him a few games to settle. He’s capable and think he’ll turn out to be a good signing.

Baader
20-12-2018, 01:13 AM
His thing is to break things up and distribute the ball to players who can do more with it. Use him for that and he can do a job but it needs to be done quick.

WeeRussell
20-12-2018, 01:14 AM
My thoughts on him is that the majority of posts on him went way over the top when he first arrived, before he was even close to proving his worth.

That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player and won’t do his bit this season, though.

Hermit Crab
20-12-2018, 01:15 AM
I don't think he likes the cold weather. Not played well in the cold.

Mango Man
20-12-2018, 01:18 AM
I'm the same, a quality player in there, but I actually do think Bartley is more effective in that role, nearly every time Bartley plays these days he puts in a motm performance, can't really say the same for Milligan, his first 4 games were good, since then he's been a bit erratic and is nowhere near as physical a player as I thought he would be.

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2018, 02:32 AM

:agree::agree: This is my take on Milligan too.

I'd like to think he can increase his fitness levels and get up to speed with the game in Scotland, but I fear that this is wishful thinking and that we are seeing the best of what we will ever get from him.

Coco Bryce
20-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Far too slow in my opinion. The game just passes by him.

RIP
20-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Being played in a defensive role doesn’t help. Should be sitting nearer the half way line.

Coco Bryce
20-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Far too slow in my opinion. The game just passes by him.

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Being played in a defensive role doesn’t help. Should be sitting nearer the half way line.

He's a defensive midfielder?

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:08 AM
He's a defensive midfielder?

:agree:

He’d only be worse moving him further forward.

Connollys11
20-12-2018, 08:29 AM

I think bartley is better.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 08:29 AM

First couple of games I thought he was a superb signing but has never recovered from James Forrest running past him at Darkheid as if he wasn’t there when he should have been launched into row 15

Struggles with the pace of the Scottish game starting to look his age unfortunately

I am free on Saturday? :greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-12-2018, 08:32 AM
His first 2-3 games he seemed like he was exactly what he needed. Sat in front of defence, took the ball, gave it to the more technical players. Read the game well. Could put a tackle in, since then he's looked very slow and his decisions and passing has been very suspect at times

This

J-C
20-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Because of our lack of depth in he squad he like Hanlon etc have been brought back far too quick, Hanlon and Gray broke down and have been out for weeks now, when Milligan came in he was fighting fit and it showed in his first few games.

We need 3-4 players in January, especially now we're going to miss the 3 Aussies.

supermcginn
20-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Would have Bartley over him every day of the week on what I've seen so far, hopefully he improves.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Would have Bartley over him every day of the week on what I've seen so far, hopefully he improves.
This!

Ozyhibby
20-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Given his form/ability, injuries (common in players that age) and the fact that he misses so many games due to international commitments it has to be said that this was a dreadful bit of recruitment.

R'Albin
20-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Given his form/ability, injuries (common in players that age) and the fact that he misses so many games due to international commitments it has to be said that this was a dreadful bit of recruitment.

Dreadful? I don't understand where you're getting that from at all. He reads the game well and his distribution is excellent. His main issue is that he needs someone more energetic playing with him in midfield and we don't really have that. He would have thrived next to McGinn IMO.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2018, 04:22 PM

I’m inclined to agree with this. The rationale for targeting this guy was presumably due to A) experience B) versatility C) considered a better holding midfielder than existing squad.

For A, we already have plenty of experienced players, maybe less so in midfield but the main thing missing was energy and legs to replace McGinn.

On B, we were already quite well covered at centre back and favoured playing a back 4, so did we really need another guy who can play there?

C - doesn’t really look any better than Bartley or Whittaker IMO. Initially his distribution looked better but only when he has time on the ball. Time that you’re not going to get against the better teams.

I’d have much preferred we spent our budget on hungry young players rather than a 33 year old. He looks worse every time I see him.

jacomo
20-12-2018, 04:30 PM
I’m inclined to agree with this. The rationale for targeting this guy was presumably due to A) experience B) versatility C) considered a better holding midfielder than existing squad.

For A, we already have plenty of experienced players, maybe less so in midfield but the main thing missing was energy and legs to replace McGinn.

On B, we were already quite well covered at centre back and favoured playing a back 4, so did we really need another guy who can play there?

C - doesn’t really look any better than Bartley or Whittaker IMO. Initially his distribution looked better but only when he has time on the ball. Time that you’re not going to get against the better teams.

I’d have much preferred we spent our budget on hungry young players rather than a 33 year old. He looks worse every time I see him.

He’s got real pedigree though.

I’m still hoping for him to have a glorious swan song at Hibs. We’ve had a tricky autumn but hoping for better times ahead.

alihibs1
20-12-2018, 04:36 PM
My Barber cuts his hair and says he stinks of cigarette smoke...

He is a jambo though. Milligan was fantastic his first couple of games but has fallen of the pace. He hardly gave the ball away in his first few games but since then he's getting caught in possesion far too much.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
20-12-2018, 05:08 PM
He’s got real pedigree though.

I’m still hoping for him to have a glorious swan song at Hibs. We’ve had a tricky autumn but hoping for better times ahead.

At some point between the age of 30-35 the legs go on 99% of players. Handing out multi year contracts to players at that age is crazy.
No matter how good they have been in the past, Milligan, McGregor and Whittaker are struggling now and it’s us that are paying their wages.

erin go bragh
20-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Looked class in his first 3 games playing in the midfield. When moved to the defence against Celtic he looked very slow . Hopefully get back to his early form back in the midfield.

Lago
20-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Because of our lack of depth in he squad he like Hanlon etc have been brought back far too quick, Hanlon and Gray broke down and have been out for weeks now, when Milligan came in he was fighting fit and it showed in his first few games.

We need 3-4 players in January, especially now we're going to miss the 3 Aussies.
We may need 3 to 4 but, can't see that happening.

Speedway
20-12-2018, 08:23 PM
We may need 3 to 4 but, can't see that happening.

I can.

hibs#1
20-12-2018, 09:36 PM
At some point between the age of 30-35 the legs go on 99% of players. Handing out multi year contracts to players at that age is crazy.
No matter how good they have been in the past, Milligan, McGregor and Whittaker are struggling now and it’s us that are paying their wages.

Whittaker is fine.been decent-good last 2 games.

Lago
20-12-2018, 10:00 PM
I can.
Really ?

Blaster
20-12-2018, 10:08 PM
Really ?

I think we’ll sign a centre half if Ambrose goes, 2 midfielders and a striker

Scouse Hibee
20-12-2018, 10:09 PM

The turn of pace from McGregor is pretty good for a player who is struggling now!

jacomo
20-12-2018, 10:23 PM

Lenny likes his veterans, no doubt about that. :wink:

Big Daz was a brilliant signing for us though, Whitts has been variable at best but seems determined to prove himself, the jury is still out on Spike.

Hulk1875
20-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Lenny likes his veterans, no doubt about that. :wink:

Big Daz was a brilliant signing for us though, Whitts has been variable at best but seems determined to prove himself, the jury is still out on Spike.

Scott brown finished 😁

Chorley Hibee
21-12-2018, 07:16 AM
I never understood why so many people were waxing lyrical about this guy signing in the first place. The fact we saw a 33 year old, with a nomadic playing career in Australia, China, Japan and the Middle East, as a solution always had alarm bells ringing for me. Unfortunately I've seen nothing to dissuade me from those initial beliefs.

judas
21-12-2018, 07:19 AM
I would find It hard to accept that a captain of Oz with more than 70 caps could not cut it at Hibs.

calumhibee1
21-12-2018, 07:30 AM
I would find It hard to accept that a captain of Oz with more than 70 caps could not cut it at Hibs.

Plenty crap players have played loads of international football. We’ve even signed a lot of them. Johansson has over 100 caps, Hurtado had more than Milligan has (I think anyway, sure he had somewhere in the 80s). Jarko Wiss had loads, Shefki Kuqi.. I’m sure there’s probably others aswell but they’re the ones that jump out because they all won loads of caps but were some of the worst players I’ve seen at Hibs.

I’m not saying Milligan is as bad as them by the way, I’m still undecided on him. But just having loads of international caps isn’t really that much of an indicator as to whether someone is good enough for Hibs.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Maybe if we had signed him 5 years ago we would get more from him but age is a factor. He is struggling to keep up.

J-C
21-12-2018, 11:41 AM
I was open minded about Milligan as I knew little of him when he signed, the only thing to go by was his Wiki page. After looking at it, his career wasn't exactly brimming with top quality teams but his International career was impressive, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Apart from International football this is probably the highest level of club football he's played at and maybe he's still adjusting to the pace and quality of the game here, his 1st two games were pretty decent and he looked exactly what we needed but he picked up an injury and hasn't been the same since and probably against Rangers his biggest test so far, he came with a good rep so I'll give him more time to settle and show us why he should be here.

Zazu62
21-12-2018, 11:51 AM

The Dalry Lama aka Ian Cathro signed a couple of Greek internationalists (tziolis?) sure he had 60/70 caps, 33 year old is old in the SPFL especially in the midfield u need pace