PDA

View Full Version : NHC A Unit

Lago
18-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Ok so here's my question,
When did the term 'a unit' become common place, it seems every TV pundit uses the term, usually preceded by, some, big, impressive. Even see it being used on .net now a days.
In the olden days we talked of players or even used names.

greenlex
18-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Ever since we went decimal.:greengrin

makaveli1875
18-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Been hearing it for a good few years now . Used to be big unit .. seems to have been shortened to just unit over the last couple of years

WoreTheGreen
18-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Ok so here's my question,
When did the term 'a unit' become common place, it seems every TV pundit uses the term, usually preceded by, some, big, impressive. Even see it being used on .net now a days.
In the olden days we talked of players or even used names.

Or “it is what it is” another soundbite

Renfrew_Hibby
18-12-2018, 07:54 PM
You don't often hear the term 'pint sized' anymore now.
Changed days as a lad like Mickey Weir would really struggle to make it as a pro these days, and that's just in Scotland. No chance what so ever down south.

Lago
18-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Changed days as a lad like Mickey Weir would really struggle to make it as a pro these days, and that's just in Scotland. No chance what so ever down south.

Or tanner ball player ��

CRAZYHIBBY
18-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Darren jackson used to constantly use the term "hes a big strong boy"....itritated the **** out me

MWHIBBIES
18-12-2018, 08:49 PM

Not true at all. Most of the best players in England are under 6 feet.

madabouthibs
18-12-2018, 10:02 PM
My maw had a unit in her living room.
Couldnae move the damn thing and got injured trying! 😁

hibbydog
18-12-2018, 10:19 PM
We once signed a Lithuanian striker who John Hughes described as ‘a big lump of a boy’ which I thought was quite a nice phrase.

He was pish though

heretoday
18-12-2018, 10:24 PM
There was a six foot ten baseball pitcher called Randy Johnson who was known as The Big Unit.
Also a Chicago NFL guy called The Fridge.

Keyser Sauzee
18-12-2018, 10:25 PM
We once signed a Lithuanian striker who John Hughes described as ‘a big lump of a boy’ which I thought was quite a nice phrase.

He was pish though

I’m trying to remember who this was but it’s lost on me

Eyrie
18-12-2018, 10:30 PM

Trakys?

jacomo
My maw had a unit in her living room.
Couldnae move the damn thing and got injured trying! 😁

That’s the sort of thing I think as a proper unit.

Works for me.

Scouse Hibee

Valdas Trakys

jacomo
18-12-2018, 10:35 PM

“He’s eight stones wet through.”

Made more sense when jerseys were jerseys, I guess.

hibsbollah
18-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Not true at all. Most of the best players in England are under 6 feet.

Micky was 5'4". The point the poster was quite correctly making is that there is no chance pint sized players like that get a chance these days. Sebastian Giovinco is the only exception that proves the rule I can think of.

DetroitHibs
19-12-2018, 06:37 AM
Growing up as a lad, that was a slang term for a tadger. "Dion Dublin, bet he's got a big unit"

Viva_Palmeiras
19-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Trakys?

No he wore jeans ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
19-12-2018, 08:34 AM
There was a six foot ten baseball pitcher called Randy Johnson who was known as The Big Unit.
Also a Chicago NFL guy called The Fridge.

“Tree” Rollins was a basketball player back in the day. 7ft iirc.

Diclonius
19-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Absolute unit

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Micky was 5'4". The point the poster was quite correctly making is that there is no chance pint sized players like that get a chance these days. Sebastian Giovinco is the only exception that proves the rule I can think of.

Marco Veratti 5'5"
Lorenzo Insigne 5' 4"
Mathieu Valbuena 5'5"
Alejandro Gomez 5'5"
Bernard 5'5"
Pablo Piatti 5'5"
Pedro 5'5"
Lucas Torriera 5'5"

All playing or played at the top level in recent years.

hibsbollah
19-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Marco Veratti 5'5"
Lorenzo Insigne 5' 4"
Mathieu Valbuena 5'5"
Alejandro Gomez 5'5"
Bernard 5'5"
Pablo Piatti 5'5"
Pedro 5'5"
Lucas Torriera 5'5"

All playing or played at the top level in recent years.

And how do you think this compares with days gone by? It's a drop in the ocean. Good use of Wikipedia and cut n paste, but it doesn't make any sort of point.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2018, 06:00 PM
And how do you think this compares with days gone by? It's a drop in the ocean. Good use of Wikipedia and cut n paste, but it doesn't make any sort of point.Is it? 25 years ago how many top players existed that were that tall? Can't be many more. Surprised a big Marseille fan like yourself forgot Valbuena :faf:

Don't see the need for the 2nd part, I didn't actually copy and paste anything. I just play alot of football manager 👍

hibsbollah
19-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Is it? 25 years ago how many top players existed that were that tall? Can't be many more. Surprised a big Marseille fan like yourself forgot Valbuena :faf:

Don't see the need for the 2nd part, I didn't actually copy and paste anything. I just play alot of football manager ��

The poster said no way a guy built like Micky Weir could make it down South these days. You replied 'Not true at all. A lot of the best players are under 6 feet'. There is a big gap between Micky and a 6 feet' player, (8 inches in fact), so I'm guessing you didn't actually know how tall he was.

I agree with the OP, and disagree with you; A Micky Weir type build player couldn't make it down South these days.

That's all.

Doh Rae Me
19-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Shaquri Liverpool?

hibsbollah
19-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Shaquri Liverpool?

I think we can all agree Shaqiri is built nothing like Micky Weir, have you seen the size of his lower (and upper)body??:greengrin

Keith_M
19-12-2018, 06:22 PM
That's funny because I've been meaning to ask the exact same question.

Sounds like a very strange term to me.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2018, 06:25 PM
The poster said no way a guy built like Micky Weir could make it down South these days. You replied 'Not true at all. A lot of the best players are under 6 feet'. There is a big gap between Micky and a 6 feet' player, (8 inches in fact), so I'm guessing you didn't actually know how tall he was.

I agree with the OP, and disagree with you; A Micky Weir type build player couldn't make it down South these days.

That's all.
But I've listed 3 players without much thought who are a very similar height and are making it down south.

This thread has him listed at 5ft 4 so unless that is wrong that's what I'm basing it on.

hibsbollah
19-12-2018, 06:33 PM
But I've listed 3 players without much thought who are a very similar height and are making it down south.

This thread has him listed at 5ft 4 so unless that is wrong that's what I'm basing it on.

:rolleyes: it's surely obvious that build isn't synonymous with height. Micky could be blown over in a light breeze, Valbuena Shaqiri and Verratti have tree trunks for legs and obviously are in the weight room everyday. Giovinco is the genuine exception because he is genuinely petite, but does play in the MLS which has different demands.

Inconsequential
19-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Frank Zappa was the originator of the term unit. He named his daughter Moon Unit... :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2018, 06:40 PM
:rolleyes: it's surely obvious that build isn't synonymous with height. Micky could be blown over in a light breeze, Valbuena Shaqiri and Verratti have tree trunks for legs and obviously are in the weight room everyday. Giovinco is the genuine exception because he is genuinely petite, but does play in the MLS which has different demands.
That's understandable but that's more because modern football has higher standards for fitness and being in the gym is a big part of that. Of course a small player can't compete if he slacks off on that and gets pushed around.