PDA

View Full Version : Are we back?

PatHead
17-12-2018, 01:11 AM
Back to back wins against Hamilton and Celtic. A win against the new club and Livvy would see 12 points on the spin.

Has the corner been turned?

NAE NOOKIE
17-12-2018, 01:33 AM
Not yet IMO. We won a tight game at Hamilton where if I recall they missed a sitter, against Celtic we put in a super performance which was arguably our best of the season, though I still think we played better in our League cup exit to Aberdeen, a game I still cant believe we lost.

The Sevco game will serve up a whole different set of problems from Sunday, but if we can win that then I will be far more encouraged … what will be a factor is whether or not we can play with the intensity we showed against Celtic, if we can we will win a lot more games than we lose, but that's the question, can we play like that two games in a row?

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2018, 01:45 AM
It depends on the definition of "being back"

2 wins is certainly turning the corner.

My definition of being back is seeing Neil Lennon leading us to the scintillating and consistent footie of the 2nd half of last season, and being right in there challenging for a Euro spot.
Right now, despite that recent abysmal run, we are not far off challenging for 4th, but we have work to do to cut the points deficit to Hearts and others - do that and then I would confidently say "we're back!"

calumhibee1
17-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Back to back wins against Hamilton and Celtic. A win against the new club and Livvy would see 12 points on the spin.

We look to have turned a corner in that the performances, effort and commitment seems to have returned. The next two games will really indicate if we have. Remain undefeated and I don’t think there would be any doubt we have. If we don’t win any then I’d not be so sure.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2018, 07:23 AM
Not yet IMO. We won a tight game at Hamilton where if I recall they missed a sitter, against Celtic we put in a super performance which was arguably our best of the season, though I still think we played better in our League cup exit to Aberdeen, a game I still cant believe we lost.

The Sevco game will serve up a whole different set of problems from Sunday, but if we can win that then I will be far more encouraged … what will be a factor is whether or not we can play with the intensity we showed against Celtic, if we can we will win a lot more games than we lose, but that's the question, can we play like that two games in a row?
Hamilton didn't create anything, Rocky had one save to make and we battered them. Was a very good performance in horrible conditions.

Callum_62
17-12-2018, 07:37 AM
I kept hearing about celtic missing key players - where i believe we had more players out injured and given our relative budgets......

Yesterday was a remarkable performance given this and the basis of that was down to the workrate and desire returning

Keep that up and we will certainly be much more like ourselves

I slated Kamberi a few weeks ago, but yesterday was exactly the Kamberi I want to see - not everything came off for him but he was an absolute pest all day

Cant fault any player yesterday

If we can manage to eek out a win on weds its a terrific return. I reckon most of us would have bit your hand off for 6/9 from these 3 games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
17-12-2018, 07:40 AM
It's only one very good win, they have set a benchmark and now it's up to that squad to keep hitting that mark, or get as close to it as possible.

Winston Ingram
17-12-2018, 07:42 AM

We're back until we play a back 5 again. 2 wins and a draw since we switched to a back 4. That's double the amount of wins we've achieved with a back 5 this season.

Tambo
17-12-2018, 07:48 AM
The next 4 games will shape of we are back or not, rangers double heade, would take 4 points right now then livi at home won't be easy and of course the Derby to finish off the year.

Dalianwanda
17-12-2018, 07:51 AM
We were never away...Hibs are the constant, results will come and go :wink: :flag:

Gloucester Hibs
17-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Turned the corner in so much as I was becoming increasingly unsure whether we had a performance like yesterday in us this season. Absolutely delighted we do, but as NL said we need to be putting in these kind of performances more consistently, and against the teams further down the table.

heretoday
17-12-2018, 08:07 AM
Yes we're back!

Until the next time.......

ian cruise
17-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Though I never thought we were "away" I think we need two wins out the next two games to bring back the good feeling amongst the fans. Two wins puts us up there in the European places and gives us a much needed bounce prior to the Derby. Do that and it's everything to play for.

Bostonhibby
17-12-2018, 08:26 AM
We were probably always there, we had the potential to do that but for whatever reason it wasn't happening on the pitch. Lennon hadn't lost the dressing room as a few have suggested. He's got them playing but it's Hibs so the skill is to get the run of good results going again.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Jim44
17-12-2018, 08:32 AM
It remains to be seen if we have permanently turned the corner but on that showing there are no reasons or excuses for not doing so.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
17-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Not yet, not after 2 wins. Ask again after December.

SirDavidsNapper
17-12-2018, 09:51 AM
If we beat Sevco and Livi id say yes

hibsbollah
17-12-2018, 09:53 AM
If we get a minimum five points from the next three fixtures against tough opposition and I'd say yes.

One Day Soon
17-12-2018, 12:19 PM
If you take Hamilton through to Hearts on the present run I think anyone looking at those fixtures as we were before the Hamilton game would have said that 6 points was decent or at least not a surprise. A point at Hamilton, defeat from Celtic, a point at home from Rangers, defeat at Rangers and then a draw in the derby seemed the most likely outcome.

In fact we have six points already so I would say that we are definitively back, particularly with the January window to come.

Anything now that is equal to, or an improvement on, draw with Rangers, win over Livi, defeat at Rangers and then draw in the derby is further evidence that we are getting it right.

I remain convinced we will finish above the Poppy Thieves this season.

Hibeesmad
17-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Win our next 3 home games and that would be a fantastic achievement

The Spaceman
17-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Would say yesterday was more of a relief - we showed everyone we are absolutely one of the best teams in this league if we are up for it. We just need to channel that into consistency which is the tough part.

Very encouraging though, unlike our neighbours who got devoured 5-0 by LIVINGSTON (going on 10-0!). If I was Hearts supporter I would be gravely concerned. We had a slump where things just weren't breaking our way...they have fully imploded.

basehibby
17-12-2018, 12:54 PM

I would say an emphatic YES on that performance.

We've been in the doldrums for a bit and I think that the memory of that will serve as an extra impetus for the team to keep their standards high. Not that they need any such extra motivation for the next few fixtures! I cannot see performance levels dropping any for the visit of Der Hun, and there is a certain matter of revenge to be settled against Livi - all of which has my mouth watering at the prospect. It aint going to be easy but we have the wind in our sails now and will be hard to stop IMO.

Keith_M
17-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Two good wins but let's not count our chickens.

We're still in 8th place and will have lows as well as highs

Jonnyboy
17-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Hamilton didn't create anything, Rocky had one save to make and we battered them. Was a very good performance in horrible conditions.

That’s not strictly true given that Keatings missed from about eight yards with the goal gaping. Agree we battered them though that was mainly in the second half.

Iggy Pope
17-12-2018, 01:59 PM
That’s not strictly true given that Keatings missed from about eight yards with the goal gaping. Agree we battered them though that was mainly in the second half.

I agree. We turned a corner at Hamilton and it was after half time. We turned another one yesterday, a big wide one. We have a tight corner to turn on Wednesday, that one where all the bawbags hang about. We’ll turn corners all season.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2018, 02:01 PM

That's true, forgot about that just before half time. Overall though we very much dominated. The type of game Hibs normally slip up in.

Bostonhibby
17-12-2018, 03:02 PM
If you take Hamilton through to Hearts on the present run I think anyone looking at those fixtures as we were before the Hamilton game would have said that 6 points was decent or at least not a surprise. A point at Hamilton, defeat from Celtic, a point at home from Rangers, defeat at Rangers and then a draw in the derby seemed the most likely outcome.

In fact we have six points already so I would say that we are definitively back, particularly with the January window to come.

Anything now that is equal to, or an improvement on, draw with Rangers, win over Livi, defeat at Rangers and then draw in the derby is further evidence that we are getting it right.

I remain convinced we will finish above the Poppy Thieves this season.The thieves recent run remains worse than ours I think?

Any of our infiltrators or yam admirers care to confirm or deny?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Keith_M
17-12-2018, 03:04 PM
The thieves recent run remains worse than ours I think?

Any of our infiltrators or yam admirers care to confirm or deny?

I doubt it, they're all sulking at the moment.

ian cruise
17-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Keatings attempts don't count, the guy is a legend.

SlickShoes
17-12-2018, 03:06 PM
All thats been missing is playing with that level of intensity and cutting out silly defensive mistakes. Only the Killie game did the other team look much better than us on the day, none of the other losses were THAT bad, just from our point of view we were seeing a team just coasting along losing by the odd goal repeatedly.

If we can compete in every game like the last two we will be fine, but if people start resting on their laurels again we will have another slump.

Hermit Crab
17-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Despite winning our last 2 matches we haven't moved up the table at all, there is clear daylight between us and Motherwell in 9th in the form of 8 points but only 2 points behind St J and Livingston in 7th and 6th with a far better goal difference than St J but only one goal better off than Livingston just now.

A win on Wednesday and we jump up to 6th place but a defeat and we stay where we are you would think Motherwell will get a backlash from Celtic after their pumping yesterday so the gap will remain at 8 points. I don't think we are back just yet but we're certainly on the right track. If we can beat Der Hun and Livingston at home then we will be in a good place.

hibbyfraelibby
17-12-2018, 04:55 PM
We cannot be deemed back until we beat the form team in the league. Beat Livi and then maybes we are...

chrisski33
17-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Im sure weve been here before where we beat one the old firm then lose games we should win