PDA

View Full Version : Slivka

truehibernian
16-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Told you he would score today :greengrin:wink:

In all seriousness, what a good player and very intelligent user of the ball. If you watch his goal back, not only do he and Whitty play ourselves out the corner really calmly, the minute SW plays the ball to Hyndman, look how intelligent a run he makes and how athletic he is to get from one end of the pitch to the other, then has the composure to not be rash and scores a really beautiful goal. He absolutely knows once Whitty plays the pass there is a chance to score or get into the box.

Top player, needs to be played more and regularly - great performance today. He's always been a first pick for me, really good footballing brain on him. Play him in a diamond or allow him to play off the strikers he is a real threat - but what an athlete too.
Fans were first class today too. As for Ryan Porteous..........if McKenna is valued at £8 million by the Dons :cb He is an absolute gem, way better than McKenna even at this stage of his career.

cabbageandribs1875
16-12-2018, 11:08 PM
i think quite a lot of players would have delayed just that split-second longer to take the 2nd touch and the shot would have been blocked

truehibernian
16-12-2018, 11:10 PM
i think quite a lot of players would have delayed just that split-second longer to take the 2nd touch and the shot would have been blocked

True mate, but it was VS's movement from the minute SW made the pass that made the goal. Fair play to Shaw too, but to go one end of the pitch to the other, full pace, and have that composure - that's a top player :aok:

mentalhibee
16-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Unbelievable goal, great play from Hibs. Hope his injury isn’t to bad, seen he was wearing a moon boot after the game.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 11:13 PM
I've been critical of Slivka in the past and don't feel he's offered nearly enough in his time here. His performance when he came on the other week was one of the only bright spots from that game (St Mirren? or Dundee, can't remember what one it was). He was superb however first half today. If he can keep up this level of performance then he'll be like a new signing.

Fingers crossed his injury isn't too bad.

truehibernian
16-12-2018, 11:19 PM
I've been critical of Slivka in the past and don't feel he's offered nearly enough in his time here. His performance when he came on the other week was one of the only bright spots from that game (St Mirren? or Dundee, can't remember what one it was). He was superb however first half today. If he can keep up this level of performance then he'll be like a new signing.

I'm biased Calum as I've always rated him, but if you look at when he played last 5 games last season he was excellent - not only his play but his assists and goal v Celtic. Dare I say he changed the game when he came on at Tynie too when we lost but he laid a chance on for Brandon Barker minutes after coming on due to him being a very athletic footballer and being very good positionally.

Always think he is best played at the tip of the diamond or on the right. He's a very fit laddie too and the run from end to end was magnificent, even if it was at the start of the match. He made the same kind of run when he scored v Celtic last time too.

cabbageandribs1875
16-12-2018, 11:25 PM
True mate, but it was VS's movement from the minute SW made the pass that made the goal. Fair play to Shaw too, but to go one end of the pitch to the other, full pace, and have that composure - that's a top player :aok:

absolutely :thumbsup: i remember John Brownlie running the length of the pitch at Hampden, although onion took the ball with him :greengrin

bodhibs
16-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Was it that little waste of skin brown that did him?

Hermit Crab
17-12-2018, 05:49 AM
Was it that little waste of skin brown that did him?

Yes, did you not see the tackle at the game?

Walter
17-12-2018, 05:57 AM

For those of us not there it's not included in highlights onlins. Funny that! Must be too explicit

Hermit Crab
17-12-2018, 06:05 AM
For those of us not there it's not included in highlights onlins. Funny that! Must be too explicit

Is it not? It was a shocker and could easily have been a red card. High, late and zero attempt to play the ball. He knew what he was doing.

CockneyRebel
17-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Any news on his injury?

CockneyRebel
17-12-2018, 10:22 AM

I watched it again on Sportscene where they reviewed it again at the end of the match. Pundits both agreed a yellow was the right decision and that Eduardo's yellow for diving should have been a free kick for him outside the box. They said he went down "in instalments" but it was because he had been tripped and stumbled but it looked to me like he only went down when once he'd lost chance to reach the ball.

BegbieHSC
17-12-2018, 10:26 AM
He’s one of the first names on the team sheet for with, with Efe and Porteous.

Never got the stick some have given him.

SRHibs
17-12-2018, 10:27 AM
I watched it again on Sportscene where they reviewed it again at the end of the match. Pundits both agreed a yellow was the right decision and that Eduardo's yellow for diving should have been a free kick for him outside the box. They said he went down "in instalments" but it was because he had been tripped and stumbled but it looked to me like he only went down when once he'd lost chance to reach the ball.

Yep, he seemed to stabilise then make a conscious decision to fall.

KWJ
17-12-2018, 10:42 AM
The diamond suits him well. He's too often thrown out wide right.

Souter96Mac
17-12-2018, 10:45 AM
The diamond suits him well. He's too often thrown out wide right.

I wasn't at the game yesterday, who played where in the diamond?

calumhibee1
17-12-2018, 11:03 AM
I wasn't at the game yesterday, who played where in the diamond?

Mallan sat deeper, Slivka on the right, Hyndman on the left and Horgan at the tip all over Brown. Mackie then came on the left for Slivka and Hyndman moved over to the right.

Speedway
17-12-2018, 11:45 AM
I'm biased Calum as I've always rated him, but if you look at when he played last 5 games last season he was excellent - not only his play but his assists and goal v Celtic. Dare I say he changed the game when he came on at Tynie too when we lost but he laid a chance on for Brandon Barker minutes after coming on due to him being a very athletic footballer and being very good positionally.

Always think he is best played at the tip of the diamond or on the right. He's a very fit laddie too and the run from end to end was magnificent, even if it was at the start of the match. He made the same kind of run when he scored v Celtic last time too.

I've always been a big fan of him too but I do think that a mix of him not imposing himself on games and not being SJM have influenced many opinions of him.

For me, a player of undoubted quality who needs a run of games and to take his chance when he gets it.

Souter96Mac
17-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Mallan sat deeper, Slivka on the right, Hyndman on the left and Horgan at the tip all over Brown. Mackie then came on the left for Slivka and Hyndman moved over to the right.

Cheers

jacomo
17-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Just seen the goal again in the highlights - what a treat, all the way from helping out Whittaker at right back then bombing the length of the pitch, tricking his way into the area and curling it home.

Mon the Slivka! More o that please!

Johnny_Leith
17-12-2018, 01:34 PM
He's starting to come into some form and contribute more. Frustrating that he's injured now but hopefully when fully fit he can recapture this momentum and become a vital part of the team, because he's got the ability, just needs the consistency.

Iggy Pope
17-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Slivka just looks like class to me and always has. He’s quick, strong and composed. Injuries or rotation maybe came at all the wrong times for the fellah, who knows. Great player to have in the side.

bodhibs
17-12-2018, 02:51 PM

No I never, couldn't manage, hence why I asked.

hughio
17-12-2018, 02:58 PM
A bit of an aside but what tickled me most as he slid it in so majestically was the Celtc support were still singing that crude little ditty "What a ******y home support"

GIRFUY STFU!

Famous Fiver
17-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Never to be heard again in the whole 95 minutes!!!

allmodcons
17-12-2018, 03:05 PM

[/B]

Is it not? It was a shocker and could easily have been a red card. High, late and zero attempt to play the ball. He knew what he was doing.

If you want to see it, it's on the BBC website.

Has a little piece of its own - Monday Jury: Should Brown have been sent off?

euro Hibby
17-12-2018, 03:38 PM
I just watched the goal again. slivka ran 70 meters to make himself available on the other side. Flo runs about 40 meters to receive with options for Horgan to take a pass also.

lapsedhibee
17-12-2018, 05:49 PM
If you want to see it, it's on the BBC website.

Has a little piece of its own - Monday Jury: Should Brown have been sent off?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/scotland/46588222

Hermit Crab
17-12-2018, 05:54 PM
First time I've seen it since the game, stick on red imo, dunno what Micheal Stewart is thinking by saying a yellow is suffice.

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Slivka performed exceptionally well against Celtic and gets a hearty and big "well done!" from this Hibby.

This said, I still remain on the fence with him as I know how capable he is of "disappearing" during games when we really need him to step up.

If he can deliver as he delivered against Celtic from here on in, then I'd be delighted to come off the fence.

The 90+2
17-12-2018, 06:01 PM
Any update on how our Lithuanian Prince is doing?

ian cruise
17-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Slivka performed exceptionally well against Celtic and gets a hearty and big "well done!" from this Hibby.

This said, I still remain on the fence with him as I know how capable he is of "disappearing" during games when we really need him to step up.

If he can deliver as he delivered against Celtic from here on in, then I'd be delighted to come off the fence.

I don't think he does disappear, he's in the same position as Lewis Stevenson was early in his career getting played all over the place. There's a few positions that if you play him more often than not you'll get a great performance, and a few other that he can play but they're not natural to him so you may get away with it or he may get found out.

The_Horde
17-12-2018, 07:16 PM
A bit of an aside but what tickled me most as he slid it in so majestically was the Celtc support were still singing that crude little ditty "What a ******y home support"

GIRFUY STFU!

First and last song they sang all day.

Elephant Stone
17-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Jees o, never noticed how far he ran :agree: That is unreal. Beautiful goal.

SRHibs
17-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Slivka is a boss.

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2018, 07:29 PM
I don't think he does disappear, he's in the same position as Lewis Stevenson was early in his career getting played all over the place. There's a few positions that if you play him more often than not you'll get a great performance, and a few other that he can play but they're not natural to him so you may get away with it or he may get found out.

I take your point about Slivka getting "moved around", but if Neil Lennon and Garry Parker have the confidence in him to put him in a certain position,

then Slivka himself must adapt and change his mind set and be more confident about playing in that position.

Slivka has played well within himself in many games in whichever position he has been placed and this is my main concern.

The position he played against Celtic in our 2-0 win is not unknown to him, but he has failed to deliver when played in that same position in previous games.

I also take your point about Stevenson getting "moved around" too, earlier in his career.

In fact, I was Lewis' biggest critic at one point, but he eventually won me over big time by securing a particular position and

making it his own, delivering a minimum 7 in practically all his games

So, likewise, I like to think that Slivka will win me over by holding down a regular slot and position and delivering to the same consistency.

The 90+2
17-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Is he fit for Weds?

Unseen work
18-12-2018, 12:53 AM
Slivka is the sort of player that is effective without looking particularly fancy etc.

For example he is very good at playing one touch passes and just overall his passing and first touch is good and has very good movement. But sometimes he can look a bit unorthodox, where as someone like Hyndman or Allan look almost effortless and cultured when on the ball and as a result I think the stuff they do gets more attention.

One of his biggest assets imo is his movement which is often overlooked, the runs he makes and positions he gets into makes his role seem a lot easier as he doesn’t necessarily need to beat a man to get there unlike others.

Defensively although not a tough tackler, he again understands it well and tucks in and helps the rest of the midfield to be more compact and offers good support to the full back.

Is it a coincidence that our form has improved since his return? I’m not sure. We have a good balance with him in the team and he is a big game player.

ian cruise
19-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Any word on whether he's fit tonight?

davhibby
19-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Any word on whether he's fit tonight?

Lennon said he was having a fitness test this morning in his press conference yesterday. Hopefully he makes it

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Lennon said he was having a fitness test this morning in his press conference yesterday. Hopefully he makes it

Looked fit on the VT footage on the news yesterday - was seen doing sprints along with the rest of the squad. That said, Marvin was seen training too.

The_Horde
19-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Looked fit on the VT footage on the news yesterday - was seen doing sprints along with the rest of the squad. That said, Marvin was seen training too.

Old footage.

J-C
19-12-2018, 03:27 PM
The boot on the foot will be to keep the ankle secure till it's assessed properly, hopefully just a hefty knock and a wee bit swelling, usually stiff for a few days, fingers crossed he's a quick healer.

Booked4Being-Ugly
19-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Slivka's a cracking player.

For me he's 1st team pick every week.

linlithgowhibbie
19-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Both panel experts say week after week when a heavy tackle goes in that "its lucky his foot wasn't anchored (on the turf)as it could have been a legbreaker" yet when Slivka gets halved and his foot is firmly on the ground they just brush over the tackle.

Double standards from the media again.

Onion
19-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Slivka need to prove his consistency to earn a ref place. No question there have been games when he’s come on and made a difference. And his 45 on Sun was excellent. But he’s had some poor games when starting in the past.

Hi Heid Yin
19-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Slivka need to prove his consistency to earn a ref place. No question there have been games when he’s come on and made a difference. And his 45 on Sun was excellent. But he’s had some poor games when starting in the past.

:agree:

bringbackbenny
19-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Starts tonight

whiskas
19-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Excellent news

CMurdoch
19-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Starts tonight

Good news

FitbaFolkKen
19-12-2018, 07:31 PM
Always been a fan of SLivka, glad to see him winning others over too! Cheeky fiver on first goal tonight ;)

CallumHibs07
19-12-2018, 09:50 PM
Outstanding tonight

essexhibee
19-12-2018, 09:53 PM
He was good tonight I thought

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Outstanding tonight

Agreed. Will get better the more he’s starting games.

makaveli1875
19-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Outstanding tonight

:agree:

Lucky he was , some of his midfield colleagues just werent at the races

BullsCloseHibs
19-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Starting to really shine now. What a player he is.

neil7908
19-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Looking like our best midfielder at the moment. His ball over the top to Boyle with his left foot was brilliant. We need to get someone to play alongside him. Milligan is struggling and Mallan just can't cope physically.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Not sure I would go as far as outstanding but he was definitely the pick of the bunch in midfield. Definitely his best run in a Hibs shirt

essexhibee
Looking like our best midfielder at the moment. His ball over the top to Boyle with his left foot was brilliant. We need to get someone to play alongside him. Milligan is struggling and Mallan just can't cope physically.

Where did Mallan play for St Mirren when he had the wonder season? Are we playing him in that same position? He just doesn’t look comfortable there

AgentDaleCooper
Wow. I thought he was decent on the ball but dire off it, sat off and gave their midfield so much space.

heretoday
19-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Very strong tonight.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Good game from him. Tough one for all of our midfield because rangers were good but he was our best one.

neil7908
19-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Where did Mallan play for St Mirren when he had the wonder season? Are we playing him in that same position? He just doesn’t look comfortable there

Good question. I seem to remember him as an attacking midfielder but can't be sure. I agree though, he's clearly a talented footballer but I'm not sure at the moment if his all round game is good enough for the SPL. I hope a bit of coaching and time in the gym will sort him out.

SRHibs
19-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Shame we couldn’t capitalise on a couple of those fantastic balls he played.

bingo70
19-12-2018, 10:21 PM
I’m not agreeing with the majority tonight to be honest.

He was alright but felt the whole midfield were completely overrun. Don’t think any of our midfielders could be classed as outstanding.

hibee_girl
19-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Thought he was pretty anonymous in the first half tbh but was good in the second.

B.H.F.C
19-12-2018, 10:34 PM

He was alright but felt the whole midfield were completely overrun. Don’t think any of our midfielders could be classed as outstanding.

Agree. I don’t think the shape helped though. We played narrow and the played with width so they had an out ball every time they got it.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 10:44 PM

That’s the way I saw it. The best of the midfielders, a decent enough performance but not outstanding.

stoneyburn hibs
19-12-2018, 10:47 PM
He was decent, not outstanding.
Hopefully he can get a decent run going as he is a good player.

Brightside
19-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Our midfield put in another battling performance. Yes we were overrun on many occasions but they had an extra man in there and they worked a lot harder than Celtic did. Got to be happy with the majority. Wasnt a game for Milligan though.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Our midfield put in another battling performance. Yes we were overrun on many occasions but they had an extra man in there and they worked a lot harder than Celtic did. Got to be happy with the majority. Wasnt a game for Milligan though.

I’m not sure Milligan is good enough to be honest. Would play Bartley ahead of him every time.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2018, 10:52 PM

I actually thought Milligan did well in the 2nd half

CMac1988
19-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Slivka was very much anonymous for large spells of the game. Mallan is Mallan... Boyle hasn't ran past a player for weeks. Horgan and Hyndman started well with the former giving Stevenson something to aim for. I was surprised Horgan went off and thought we looked worse when he did. Hyndman teetered off as the game went in. All in all another lackluster performance from the midfield show a lack of drive and creativity.

Up front wasn't much better with the exception of Shaw making a few good runs.

Defence had a few scares from corners and 2nd balls but all in all they managed to get the job done.

And thank you Bogdan.

LaMotta
19-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Where did Mallan play for St Mirren when he had the wonder season?

In the Championship :greengrin

hibee_girl
19-12-2018, 10:59 PM
I’m not sure Milligan is good enough to be honest. Would play Bartley ahead of him every time.

Milligan would start every game if it was up to me. He’s a brilliant player and one we’re lucky to have imo

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2018, 11:08 PM

This!

The Rangers did to us tonight what we did to Celtic on Sunday.

They were right in our faces from the first whistle

The HIBS midfield all sat off and wanted too much time on the ball getting caught in possession Mallan giving the ball away to opposition players and constantly passing the ball backwards did not help that is why Milligan was brought on second half to shore up the midfield

Slivka was back to flitting in and out of games and Shaws got to hit the target ( twice ).

Well played Adam Bogdan

If I was a Martian from Outer Space I would have said The Rangers were the home side at times it looked a matter of time until they scored

Craig Thomson really does hate the HIBS!

Got to be happy with four points against the OF massive game on Saturday

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Anybody know what’s up with MacLaren?

Serious question :dunno:

Lendo
19-12-2018, 11:12 PM

We should not be signing players with a pathetically low number of caps like Mark. Only 73! Defo not good enough. 🙄

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 11:13 PM
Anybody know what’s up with MacLaren?

Serious question :dunno:

I said on the PM board that I’m starting to wonder if he will be here after January. Think he’s made one sub appearance in six since Aberdeen. Doesn’t even seem to get a look in anymore and considering we’re probably short of a striker that seems strange.

The_Horde
19-12-2018, 11:13 PM
I said on the PM board that I’m starting to wonder if he will be here after January. Think he’s made one sub appearance in six since Aberdeen. Doesn’t even seem to get a look in anymore and considering we’re probably short of a striker that seems strange.

Has an ongoing back problem I believe.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 11:16 PM
We should not be signing players with a pathetically low number of caps like Mark. Only 73! Defo not good enough. 🙄

That’s great for him and all that but what’s that got to do with his performances at Hibs?

Jonathon Johanson, Shefki Kuqi, Eduardo Hurtado, Jarko Wiss and probably plenty more. International caps are an absolute irrelevance if they’re not doing it for Hibs.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Has an ongoing back problem I believe.

:aok: would seem strange to have him on the bench most weeks in that case. Any form of back problem would probably make playing football at a professional level nigh on impossible.

Smartie
19-12-2018, 11:21 PM

He looks a world-beater when teams stand off him and give him space, he struggles badly when he's closed down quickly.

Slivka looked better than our other midfielders tonight because he's the most comfortable under pressure - good touch, fit and plays with his head up.

Eyrie
19-12-2018, 11:21 PM
Craig Thomson really does hate the HIBS!

I deserve to be banned for saying something nice about him, but the Cheat didn't give them a stonewall penalty when Milligan stuck his arm out.

hhibs
19-12-2018, 11:49 PM
I deserve to be banned for saying something nice about him, but the Cheat didn't give them a stonewall penalty when Milligan stuck his arm out.

It hit his shoulder,no penalty.

gaz1875
19-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Very rarely gives the ball away, but we need him on it more often.

sahpaton
20-12-2018, 12:14 AM
You could really see his quality on the ball tonight, like mentioned above he is by far the most confident when under pressure out of our midfielders. He clearly tired though along with rest of the midfield who put in some amount of running on Sunday. Don't think diamond helped tonight either as Slivka was often torn between closing down Barisic or staying tucked in to limit the space they had in the middle, same goes for Hyndman/Mallan in the 1st/2nd half on the opposite side. Wouldn't go with it again at Ibrox as their fullbacks are too good to be allowed as much room to drive forward as they were tonight.. A lot of us have predicted that we would see the best of VS once given a run on games in his best position and it looks like we might be seeing this at last, still just 23 as well.

EH54
20-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Think he's our best midfielder ATM, starts every week for me. Scored some importaint goals and had some memorable moments already and he's barely played 2 games together.

Hermit Crab
20-12-2018, 12:39 AM
Funny how this board works, a few weeks ago folk were wanting rid of Sliv in the January window...:rolleyes:

Great player!

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 12:48 AM
Funny how this board works, a few weeks ago folk were wanting rid of Sliv in the January window...:rolleyes:

Great player!

And it’s no coincidence that after what has possibly been his most impressive spell in a Hibs strip that people are starting to alter that view.