PDA

View Full Version : Spoty 2018

Itsnoteasy
16-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Used to enjoy watching this. All the sports highlights of the season.
Just started & are already going on about Football's Coming Home.
Lightning Seeds on the stage with Baddiel & Skinner belting it oot.
That's a no go for me. Channel changed over.

James310
16-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Used to enjoy watching this. All the sports highlights of the season.
Just started & are already going on about Football's Coming Home.
Lightning Seeds on the stage with Baddiel & Skinner belting it oot.
That's a no go for me. Channel changed over.

Imagine that section if they had won it. Bit OTT.

SouthMoroccoStu
16-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Inbred bias from the EBC

The coach of the year took a mediocre team to the semi finals via the easiest route ever seen in a World Cup and he still ballsed up in spectacular fashion

Don’t pay your license fee

Bias morons of the highest degree

G B Young
16-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Inbred bias from the EBC

The coach of the year took a mediocre team to the semi finals via the easiest route ever seen in a World Cup and he still ballsed up in spectacular fashion

Don’t pay your license fee

Bias morons of the highest degree

A mediocre team that was 20 minutes from the World Cup final and which has since gone on to beat Belgium and Spain to top their Nations League group. That strikes me as decent progress and like it or not Southgate has done a very good job with them after the plodding mediocrity they displayed for many years.

Why would the BBC not feature that? It's not as though any of the other home nations achieved anything worth covering.

Fair enough if you simply hate England but that doesn't equate to BBC bias.

FWIW though, I agree with the OP that this is a show which has run its course and I've only ever tuned in to it in recent years to see Andy Murray awarded the honour a record four times. Last year's voting figures were embarrassingly low. More people voted for Murray alone in 2016 than voted in total last year.

SouthMoroccoStu
16-12-2018, 08:37 PM
A mediocre team that was 20 minutes from the World Cup final and which has since gone on to beat Belgium and Spain to top their Nations League group. That strikes me as decent progress and like it or not Southgate has done a very good job with them after the plodding mediocrity they displayed for many years.

Why would the BBC not feature that? It's not as though any of the other home nations achieved anything worth covering.

EBC bias at its finest

I don’t remember this fuss being made when Wales got to the semis of the euros

Ringothedog
16-12-2018, 08:39 PM

Does the amount of money they pay for English football equate to English bias or a channel called BBC radio 5 only ever discussing English football equate to English bias? The BBC is funded by everyone on those islands and they conveniently forget that. Nothing to do with hating England

Shrekko
16-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Utter farce of an event in so many ways.

Carheenlea
16-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Putting rivalries to one side for a minute, you`ve got to feel some sympathy for Craig Levein on being pipped by Southgate for coach of the year.

Glory Lurker
16-12-2018, 08:52 PM
My annual opportunity to say I've not watched it since 2013 when they disgracefully omitted to mention Lawrie Reilly in the "those we lost" section.

The 90+2
EBC bias at its finest

I don’t remember this fuss being made when Wales got to the semis of the euros

The wales team was heavily lauded as team of the year last time. Th Euros is also nowhere near the level of the actual World Cup.

What ever happened to sports review of the year? Used to love that back in the day.

Oh aye, that biased Murray has won it twice, Hot, Giggs and others in the last wee while. A Welshman will win tonight too.

The 90+2
My annual opportunity to say I've not watched it since 2013 when they disgracefully omitted to mention Lawrie Reilly in the "those we lost section".

Very fair call. That was a shocker.

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Putting rivalries to one side for a minute, you`ve got to feel some sympathy for Craig Levein on being pipped by Southgate for coach of the year.

He will win it next year when the league and cup double is confirmed.

SouthMoroccoStu
16-12-2018, 09:00 PM
The wales team was heavily lauded as team of the year last time. Th Euros is also nowhere near the level of the actual World Cup.

What ever happened to sports review of the year? Used to love that back in the day.

Oh aye, that biased Murray has won it twice, Hot, Giggs and others in the last wee while. A Welshman will win tonight too.

Tunisia
Panama
Belgium
Sweden
Columbia
Croatia
Belgium

Wales faced far harder teams with a greater gulf, in supposed, class and talent in the euros than England faced

But the bias of the EBC makes you believe that England were the harddoneby world champions

SouthMoroccoStu
16-12-2018, 09:01 PM
My annual opportunity to say I've not watched it since 2013 when they disgracefully omitted to mention Lawrie Reilly in the "those we lost" section.

Disgusted by this omission

Ignorance at its worst

Ryan69
16-12-2018, 09:01 PM

FWIW though, I agree with the OP that this is a show which has run its course and I've only ever tuned in to it in recent years to see Andy Murray awarded the honour a record four times. Last year's voting figures were embarrassingly low. More people voted for Murray alone in 2016 than voted in total last year.

You fail to forget that there are 4 countries involved here...

Hiber-nation
16-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Sadly I've never heard of Geraint Thomas.

The 90+2
Tunisia
Panama
Belgium
Sweden
Columbia
Croatia
Belgium

Wales faced far harder teams with a greater gulf, in supposed, class and talent in the euros than England faced

But the bias of the EBC makes you believe that England were the harddoneby world champions

They still got to the actual semis of the World Cup. It’s like saying we could play Elgin Arbroath hearts and beat Dundee in the Scottish cup final and turn around and say it’s not appreciated as much because it was easier than anticipated. They beat who they had to to progress to the semi final of a World Cup. That’s some achievement for a nation smashed off Iceland in the previous tournament.

The 90+2
Sadly I've never heard of Geraint Thomas.

On yer bike.

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Billy Monger is a tremendous young man. Got a couple of friends involved in motorsport and it's an expensive, demanding and dangerous sport and he's been inspirational.

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Christ I was right too. 😂

Hiber-nation
16-12-2018, 09:06 PM
On yer bike.

Haha..I thought he must have been a Welsh rugby player....never watched cycling since Sir Chris was in the Commie games.

Ryan69
16-12-2018, 09:07 PM
They still got to the actual semis of the World Cup. It’s like saying we could play Elgin Arbroath hearts and beat Dundee in the Scottish cup final and turn around and say it’s not appreciated as much because it was easier than anticipated. They beat who they had to to progress to the semi final of a World Cup. That’s some achievement for a nation smashed off Iceland in the previous tournament.

Surely getting smashed off Iceland is a humiliation in the first place with the resources they have.

At least getting beat 3 times in a major tournament..is a rarity nowadays. :)

The 90+2
Haha..I thought he must have been a Welsh rugby player....never watched cycling since Sir Chris was in the Commie games.

Fair play he sounds like a rugby player to be honest my mates a big cycling fan (fk knows why) so I keep up sometimes for work chat.

LustForLeith
With George Ezra playing the show put it got the ending the whole thing deserved

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Surely getting smashed off Iceland is a humiliation in the first place with the resources they have.

At least getting beat 3 times in a major tournament..is a rarity nowadays. :)

It is indeed. Shows you the turnaround though.

I would love for Scotland to lose 3 times in “the” major tournament if it meant we somehow ever made the World Cup Semi. In fact it would be the only thing ever better than 21May. I certainly wouldn’t care we only put Sweden or Columbia out on the way to the Semi.

AltheHibby
16-12-2018, 09:10 PM

He's an amazing cyclist and a great guy. I'm as pleased for him as I was for Andy Murray.

Great to see Billy Monger honoured too. I saw his crash on TV and can't believe he's come back from it.

stantonhibby
16-12-2018, 09:12 PM

I would love for Scotland to lose 3 times in “the” major tournament if it meant we somehow ever made the World Cup Semi. In fact it would be the only thing ever better than 21May. I certainly wouldn’t care we only put Sweden or Columbia out on the way to the Semi.

I can see your point but nothing will ever beat 21st May.

SouthMoroccoStu
That’s some achievement for a nation smashed off Iceland in the previous tournament.

I agree you can only play who’s infront of you, I’d more than happily take a lower league opposition route to the semis in the Scottish Cup for hibs.

But is it that impressive when you are the richest football nation, and very densely populated, in the world with very skilled and talented players scraping passed very poor countries.

They only impressed me when they played Sweden

My Scottish bias aside, they never deserved to get that far in the World Cup

Northernhibee
Great to see Billy Monger honoured too. I saw his crash on TV and can't believe he's come back from it.

Yep, likewise and didn't think there was any way someone could come out of a crash like that alive. A tremendous young man with a huge deal of strength to come back. Also very humble and modest.

Fair play to Lewis Hamilton for all he's been doing for Billy too.

hfc rd
17-12-2018, 12:20 AM

Sorry but nothing will ever top 21/05/16.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2018, 12:38 AM
My Scottish bias aside, they never deserved to get that far in the World Cup

Why, didn't they deserve their victories?

If Scotland got that far, we'd be outraged if they didn't win team of the year or whatever.

Leave my bias aside 😂

G B Young
17-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Andy's actually won it a record four times so as you say, hard to see where the supposed bias comes in. Mind you, he's won it off the back of becoming the first British player to win a Grand Slam in 76 years, the first to win Wimbledon in 77 years (and win it again three years later), winning successive Olympic gold medals, leading GB to Davis Cup victory for the first time since 1936 and topping it off by becoming the world No 1 singles player. It would have been hard to ignore him!!

What did the Scotland men's football team achieve in that time? Nothing. That's the reason they didn't feature. The women's achievement in reaching their first World Cup this year was hopefully mentioned though?

Keyser Sauzee
17-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Andy's actually won it a record four times so as you say, hard to see where the supposed bias comes in. Mind you, he's won it off the back of becoming the first British player to win a Grand Slam in 76 years, the first to win Wimbledon in 77 years (and win it again three years later), winning successive Olympic gold medals, leading GB to Davis Cup victory for the first time since 1936 and topping it off by becoming the world No 1 singles player. It would have been hard to ignore him!!

What did the Scotland men's football team achieve in that time? Nothing. That's the reason they didn't feature. The women's achievement in reaching their first World Cup this year was hopefully mentioned though?

Murray’s only won it 3 times

G B Young
17-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Murray’s only won it 3 times

I stand corrected :agree: Still a record number of wins though.

G B Young
17-12-2018, 11:21 AM
You fail to forget that there are 4 countries involved here...

I didn't watch the programme, but if Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't feature in the men's football round-up it's because they didn't achieve anything in 2018.

FWIW, over the last dozen years the award has been won by a Scot four times (Murray and Hoy), three Welshmen (Thomas, Calzaghe and Giggs), a Northern Irishman (McCoy), three Englishmen (Farah, Hamilton, Wiggins) and a Manx (Cavendish).

dalkeith stu
17-12-2018, 11:48 AM
I didn't watch the programme, but if Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't feature in the men's football round-up it's because they didn't achieve anything in 2018.

FWIW, over the last dozen years the award has been won by a Scot four times (Murray and Hoy), three Welshmen (Thomas, Calzaghe and Giggs), a Northern Irishman (McCoy), three Englishmen (Farah, Hamilton, Wiggins) and a Manx (Cavendish).

Mo Farahs from Somalia. 😉😉

CropleyWasGod
17-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Mo Farahs from Somalia. ����

If you're going down that route, Bradley Wiggins is Belgian. :wink:

And Cav's not British, either. :nerd:

Green Man
17-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Mo Farahs from Somalia. 😉😉

And Wiggins is from Belgium!

Hibeesmad
17-12-2018, 11:55 AM
I thought Kane was going to win it, golden boot winner taking England to their first World Cup Semi Final in a long time. Well done to Thomas though, great pro.

patch1875
17-12-2018, 12:11 PM
I thought Kane was going to win it, golden boot winner taking England to their first World Cup Semi Final in a long time. Well done to Thomas though, great pro.

Was it a phone vote? Sure I seen something that the Lycra clad middle aged men forums had organised a mass vote.

Hibeesmad
17-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Was it a phone vote? Sure I seen something that the Lycra clad middle aged men forums had organised a mass vote.

It was

dalkeith stu
17-12-2018, 12:57 PM
And Wiggins is from Belgium!

Didn't know this tbh. Only at the wynd up anyway. I don't agree with the residency rule in sport. Wiggins mum is English and his dad's australian so had a big choice.

nellio
17-12-2018, 02:40 PM
I had an interesting discussing with a mate about the world cup V euros.

I argued that the Euros is in fact a harder tournament as the teams involved in the finals are at a higher level than the teams that qualify from Africa, Asia or Australasia etc.

Although Wales did get some recognition for making the Semi's of the Euros it was nowhere near what England had last night. I don't remember the Manics or the Phonics being onstage blasting out a song for the lads.