PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on Leith

yonder1875
16-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Sorry to complain on the evening of a great result but didn’t see the point playing this at full time today. A large part of the crowd boosted at FT and another large part of the crowd was standing on the stairs.

It’s more special when we sing it after a huge and pulsating victory under the lights against Hearts or at Hampden. I just think it should be reserved for when everyone is up for singing it and not just the chorus.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Glory Lurker
16-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Thought exactly the same myself. We need to use sparingly.

Sammy7nil
16-12-2018, 06:59 PM
It should only be played on truly special occasions today was not one of those days.

Having said that I can't believe we have only beat Celtic 36 times at home in the league :confused:

proud_and_green
16-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Tend to agree. I said to my daughter today that it seems to be played when we get a victory. Needs to be saved for big and significant games.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
16-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Scrooges alive and kicking on here.

Can't believe we've got folk greeting about this.

We beat the reigning champions, gave them a stuffing and we still get whiners on here.

Get a life or get over to Gorgie.

Rant over.

Glory Lurker
16-12-2018, 07:09 PM

We beat the reigning champions, gave them a stuffing and we still get whiners on here.

Rant over.

Easy, tiger!

yonder1875
16-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Rant over.

Nae bother mate.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2018, 07:11 PM
It should only be played after significant victories and today was a significant victory.

Tarrahib
16-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Thought exactly the same myself. We need to use sparingly.
I'm on my way is alright for run of the mill home wins.

davhibby
16-12-2018, 07:13 PM
It’s not like we sing it every game? After wins over Celtic, Rangers and Hearts are obvious occasions when it should be sung. Some people are off their heads

Jones28
16-12-2018, 07:16 PM
I really enjoyed it, ok it didn't have the same poignancy as a derby win but that, for me, was as important a win as any we will get this season and to mark it with the best football anthem on earth is absolutely fine by me.

Inconsequential
16-12-2018, 07:17 PM

Rant over. Well said! Why not play SOL every time we win? After a real sticky patch let's just revel in it. We are the Hibees GGTTH :flag:

Frazerbob
16-12-2018, 07:57 PM
The atmosphere in general was very muted today. Even after going 2-0 up. The place should’ve been rocking. A few too many hangovers from Xmas nights out last night maybe?

Waxy
16-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Best ever sunshine on Leith was after the 1-0 cup replay win against them nearly three year ago.

vuefrom1875
16-12-2018, 08:13 PM
The atmosphere in general was very muted today. Even after going 2-0 up. The place should’ve been rocking. A few too many hangovers from Xmas nights out last night maybe?

Don't think it'll muted on the 29th😎😎

HibbyAndy
16-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Unbelievable , Beat celtc 2-0 and we get threads like this

vuefrom1875
16-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Best ever sunshine on Leith was after the 1-0 cup replay win against them nearly three year ago.

Correct sir.

Carheenlea
16-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Surprised to see so many leave the stadium before the final whistle - maybe watching on the TV screens before a sharp getaway, but playing SOL when folk are leaving, or have left, doesn’t have the same intensity. Still enjoyed it though watching the players leave the park after the win, and more than happy for it to be aired again on Wednesday night.

HibsAnnouncer
17-12-2018, 12:08 AM
Hi guys

As always I’m keen to keep an eye on feedback and try to respond where I can to feedback that is given. I was back up in the box in full control of the music played out today so, I personally take full responsibility for this being played today.

On occasions when we really need a win and we have all been behind the team when we achieve a big result I usually encourage the guys controlling the music to proceed with using Sunshine.

No doubt had we not played this today there would of been a comment with regards to us not playing it. I guess in my own opinion that there is a need to refrain from playing the track but so far this season it’s been played twice and we are half way through the season.

What’s more important....is that the Hibees are back to winning ways and it’s three points in the bag!

Thanks for the feedback guys I’ll keep taking it onboard
Barrie

Cameron1875
17-12-2018, 12:13 AM
100% the correct decision to play it today. It's been a pretty rubbish couple of months watching our team and a battling win versus the champions deserves appreciation.

Onwards and upwards. :thumbsup:

hibeeleicester
17-12-2018, 01:02 AM
Correct decision to play. Big result, big song. Great work.

Wheat Hound
17-12-2018, 01:11 AM
It's our song and I'll happily listen to it anytime. Keep on with the good work Barrie

The Green Goblin
17-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Hi guys

As always I’m keen to keep an eye on feedback and try to respond where I can to feedback that is given. I was back up in the box in full control of the music played out today so, I personally take full responsibility for this being played today.

On occasions when we really need a win and we have all been behind the team when we achieve a big result I usually encourage the guys controlling the music to proceed with using Sunshine.

No doubt had we not played this today there would of been a comment with regards to us not playing it. I guess in my own opinion that there is a need to refrain from playing the track but so far this season it’s been played twice and we are half way through the season.

What’s more important....is that the Hibees are back to winning ways and it’s three points in the bag!

Barrie

It’s our anthem. Why not? We badly needed a win today and we got it. I was surprised when it started tbh, but not in a bad way. I was just used to it after derby wins and Hampden. Standing in the stands at ER listening to SoL having just pumped Celtic 2-0 was a fine way to end.

truehibernian
17-12-2018, 01:30 AM
Hi guys

Barrie

I'm more concerned you and Daz walked into Black Ivy last week looking like you were on a Polar expedition with that furry collar nonsense going on :greengrin:devil:

SoL always has a place when we win, whenever I hear it, it means we have got the 3 points or we are into the next round - keep playing it - it's our song :aok:

monktonharp
17-12-2018, 01:32 AM
Hi guys

BarrieBarrie Gadgie, Barrie. was a bit surprised to hear it though although not complaining.. would have been a bit better when the team walked towards thw fans. nae real complaints though although I'm on my way might have been better today :cb

1van Sprou7e
17-12-2018, 02:11 AM

Always the same at a 12:30 Sunday game

HibeeHibernian4
17-12-2018, 03:47 AM
No problem with it being played yesterday, would like us to get to the stage as a club though where beating Celtic is a regular enough event that it doesn't warrant Sunshine on Leith.

Baader
17-12-2018, 04:32 AM
It was a significant result!

flash
17-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Derby wins only.

Springbank
17-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Hi guys

Barrie

Barrie i thought you were spot on playing it today.

wins v hearts rangers & Celtic are 100% SoL occasions!

chrisski33
17-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Sorry to complain on the evening of a great result but didn’t see the point playing this at full time today. A large part of the crowd boosted at FT and another large part of the crowd was standing on the stairs.

It’s more special when we sing it after a huge and pulsating victory under the lights against Hearts or at Hampden. I just think it should be reserved for when everyone is up for singing it and not just the chorus.

Kill joy!!

Steve-O
17-12-2018, 07:50 AM

There was a period (2003ish?) where it got played every week at half time to the point I hated it! As long as it doesn’t get to that stage again.

RIP
17-12-2018, 08:05 AM
I think it’s always more atmospheric when the players walk over en masse to thank the fans. A lot of new players in the squad but to me the captain should be leading them over.

Whittaker disappeared up the tunnel the second the whistle was blown. Must have been dying on a jobbie.

HibsAnnouncer
17-12-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm more concerned you and Daz walked into Black Ivy last week looking like you were on a Polar expedition with that furry collar nonsense going on :greengrin:devil:

SoL always has a place when we win, whenever I hear it, it means we have got the 3 points or we are into the next round - keep playing it - it's our song :aok:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Green Man
17-12-2018, 11:06 AM
I think yesterday was a fitting occasion for SoL, it was a huge result for us. It was great to see Ryan Porteous singing along as well.

Hibeesmad
17-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Always enjoy listening and singing to Sunshine on Leith no matter what the occasion is

Seveno
17-12-2018, 07:23 PM
We convincingly beat the current Champions. Of course it was the right time to play SOL. It was just a shame that so many people had left before the final whistle.

More controversial was whoever decided to cut short ‘Streets of Edinburgh’ and play ‘Paradise’ just before the game started.

Onion
17-12-2018, 07:31 PM
Agree it should be kept for special performances / events, otherwise it gets devalued. Suspect Hibs DJ thought it might look good on TV but it didn't.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Don’t suppose anyone else saw Mackie and Porteous singing along?
I appreciate the importance of not over-doing it but I found that clip a heartening one - brining the fans and young guns together. What a fantastic club we have.

Edit: Doh - I wasn’t the only one :)

hibby6270
17-12-2018, 09:14 PM
It should only be played on truly special occasions today was not one of those days.

Having said that I can't believe we have only beat Celtic 36 times at home in the league :confused:

This comment got me thinking how many have I seen?

Since I first started going to ER in 1962, we’ve had 18 home League wins. That’s not many. So SoL after a Celtic win maybe is warranted.

Strangely though, there have been about a third of those in last 15 years or so. Is that because we’ve better in that period or is it (more likely) that in majority of these seasons we’ve played at home twice?

Lang Toun hibby
17-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Hi guys

Barrie

I have an issue with playing music right up to kick off. The anticipation and noise level is not allowed to build. Stop it!

Glory Lurker
17-12-2018, 09:36 PM
This comment got me thinking how many have I seen?

Since I first started going to ER in 1962, we’ve had 18 home League wins. That’s not many. So SoL after a Celtic win maybe is warranted.

Strangely though, there have been about a third of those in last 15 years or so. Is that because we’ve better in that period or is it (more likely) that in majority of these seasons we’ve played at home twice?

I did think that I've been to a disproportionate share of those wins. Suppose there had to be a trade off for missing the Tornadoes!

The 90+2
17-12-2018, 09:36 PM

No it wasn’t. It was against AEK at half time (at Easter Road obviously) two final wins the rest don’t come close.

It was perfect yesterday as it was a massive win in our season.

The 90+2
17-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Agree it should be kept for special performances / events, otherwise it gets devalued. Suspect Hibs DJ thought it might look good on TV but it didn't.

Watching the game again this evening it looked very good on tv, especially when our players are belting it out.

JimBHibees
18-12-2018, 05:01 PM
No it wasn’t. It was against AEK at half time (at Easter Road obviously) two final wins the rest don’t come close.

It was perfect yesterday as it was a massive win in our season.

Think it was before extra time.

Capt Mainwaring
18-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Derby wins only.

Agree and add on significant cup victories

Key thing is to keep it special and not run if the Mill 👍

BILLYHIBS
18-12-2018, 08:38 PM
I have an issue with playing music right up to kick off. The anticipation and noise level is not allowed to build. Stop it!
Not only the music the sheer volume you cannot hear yourself think or speak to the person standing beside you
As the teams are about to run out it should always be to “Glory Glory Glory to the Hibees!” by Hector Nicol and right to the end “and now we’ve got a younger team ah dinnae want to brag ah only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag! “ not cut off for some modern operatic gladiator music or “Right Here Right Now!”
Why?