PDA

View Full Version : Porteous - best academy player since...?

AgentDaleCooper
16-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Can't think of anyone with as much to his game at such a young age.

penihibs
16-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Can't think of anyone with as much to his game at such a young age.

Scott Brown?

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Probably since Brown for me.

Jones28
16-12-2018, 06:33 PM
So far ahead of Brown for his age.

erin go bragh
16-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Scott Brown?
Brown didn’t start off at our Academy but his transfer fee helped build it .
Pre academy we had Deeks , Gary O and Fletcher. Before them I’d say Kevin Harper and before him we had John Collins .

Juniper Greens
16-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Lewis Stevenson

Since90+2
16-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Lewis Stevenson

Love Lewis but Porteuos will play at a much higher level.

My_Wife_Camille
16-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Best player to pull on the green and white since John Collins

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Fletcher.

CLASS OF 72 -73
16-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Lewis Stevenson
Lewis has been a wonderful servant and great pro but Porteuos is something very special.

Juniper Greens
16-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Agree with what others have said re Lewis. I just feel that being the first player to win both cups with Hibs, makes him something really special. Add in the 9 year gap as well. I'm one of those who 5/6 years ago felt we could do better....but I can't fault him now

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Love Lewis but Porteuos will play at a much higher level.We'll see. He want pants against Dundee and Kilmarnock recently. He's a long way to go.

Sammy7nil
16-12-2018, 07:01 PM
So far ahead of Brown for his age.

No he is not Porteous is great but so was Brown and imho better.

scoopyboy
16-12-2018, 07:04 PM
I think he is better than Aberdeen's Scott McKenna and he is being quoted as a multi million pound player.

If he isn't better right now then he soon will be.

I like signings that turn out great but for me bringing your own youths through is the best feeling.

Sammy7nil
16-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Best player to pull on the green and white since John Collins

Getting way ahead of yourself there. No doubt he is good but we have had some great players since t hen and the laddie has a long way to go.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 07:11 PM
I think he is better than Aberdeen's Scott McKenna and he is being quoted as a multi million pound player.

I like signings that turn out great but for me bringing your own youths through is the best feeling.

McKenna also has two and a half years on Porteous.

Hiber-nation
16-12-2018, 07:15 PM
We'll see. He want pants against Dundee and Kilmarnock recently. He's a long way to go.

You just like disagreeing with people. You are obsessed with it.

Tambo
16-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Thought he was outstanding today, a couple iffy moments this season but every player will make a mistake and playing regularly will only help him improve.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2018, 07:27 PM
You just like disagreeing with people. You are obsessed with it.Na, I like giving my thoughts like anyone else. Sorry they don't fall in line with yours.

Keith_M
16-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Na, I like giving my thoughts like anyone else. Sorry they don't fall in line with yours.

Well I definitely disagree with you about the Dundee game, as he was one of only two players I would have given pass marks to.

Earlydelivery
16-12-2018, 07:47 PM
He’s a class act

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 07:55 PM

We will sell him for a club record fee. He’s a massive massive hibee too.

Godsahibby
16-12-2018, 08:00 PM

No chance yet, one exceptional game but has made a lot of mistakes this season. The best thing about him being played every week is that he is learning from those mistakes. As someone else said McKenna has 2 years on Porto if this is how much he can develop in 6 moths imagine where he will be in 2 years!

I’m a big fan of McKenna can see him and Porto and Souttar (tin hat on) at the back for Scotland for years to come.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 08:03 PM
No chance yet, one exceptional game but has made a lot of mistakes this season. The best thing about him being played every week is that he is learning from those mistakes. As someone else said McKenna has 2 years on Porto if this is how much he can develop in 6 moths imagine where he will be in 2 years!

I’m a big fan of McKenna can see him and Porto and Souttar (tin hat on) at the back for Scotland for years to come.

Genuinely not just saying this because he plays for Hearts but I really don’t see it with Souttar. Souttar is exactly the way Efe is imagined by other teams fans. Makes absolute howlers of mistakes far too frequently.

hibbydad
16-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Remember Ryan is not 20 till March he has a huge career ahead of him

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Every bit as good a player as Kieran Tierney for Celtic. He's majestic, he reminds me of the James McPake we had on loan but with better positioning. Ferocious in the tackle, vocal, fearsome and a warrior.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2018, 08:19 PM
For me, Porteous has the shirt and can be considered an automatic at the back.

This might very well be McGregors ( a player who has been magnificent for us) final season for us.

murray26
16-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Am I right in saying he’s recently signed a 5 year deal..? Fantastic prospect and looking forward to watching him develop..

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Am I right in saying he’s recently signed a 5 year deal..? Fantastic prospect and looking forward to watching him develop..

Apparently he signed a new one recently. Here until 2023.

Ronniekirk
16-12-2018, 08:23 PM

We might get tested with an Offer in January But don't see it being enough to temp us and he is a Hibby and knows he is still learning the game so he will be happy to stay with us Thankfully

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 08:23 PM

This might very well be McGregors ( a player who has been magnificent for us) final season for us.

I love Daz, he's an incredible Hibs player, a Scottish cup winner, a player who can rightfully say that he was part of the turnaround of this club but he's getting on now and I want him to go out on a high and for us to be able to remember him as the warrior and legend that he is.

Porteous is the man to replace him, his physicality and his leadership. Some things come with experience but some things can't be taught and Porteous has all the things that can't be taught. He's brilliant.

Billy Whizz
16-12-2018, 08:25 PM

He has, what we don’t know is what clauses are inserted into it
Ryan for me needs this season and at least next at Hibs. Young players need to play to develop. No point in signing for a big club and only part playing
Even then he’ll only still be 21. Also remember he’s a right sided defender playing at left centre back

theonlywayisup
16-12-2018, 08:27 PM
I think everyone knows that he will have a great career if he keeps developing at the rate he is at moment.

He talks well and appears to be respectful of those around him.

As others have said a future Hibs and Scotland captain.

Onion
16-12-2018, 08:33 PM
For me, he's already made the CH position his own which says it all. Great tackler, strong, good header of a ball, calm head and most importantly improving all the time. Won't be long before Celtic come calling, he's considered for full international .... and more. At 19, he'll still have his moments and will make mistakes but that's ok - he'll learn from that.

Was going to say great prospect but he's more than that now. Excited to see how far he can go in the game.

Shrekko
16-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Any mistakes he’s made are almost irrelevant in terms of how good he is. Young players will make them but his attributes are absolutely undeniable. He is potentially a great player.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2018, 08:58 PM
I love Daz, he's an incredible Hibs player, a Scottish cup winner, a player who can rightfully say that he was part of the turnaround of this club but he's getting on now and I want him to go out on a high and for us to be able to remember him as the warrior and legend that he is.

Porteous is the man to replace him, his physicality and his leadership. Some things come with experience but some things can't be taught and Porteous has all the things that can't be taught. He's brilliant.

I couldn't put it any better.
:agree::agree:

Hermit Crab
16-12-2018, 09:00 PM

This will McGregors final games for his this season and I think he knows it.

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 09:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6O_30JUuGI

He's very much an old soul, maturity and ability way beyond his years.

essexhibee
16-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Fantastic talent. Just needs to remember doesn’t always need to fly in.

jacomo
16-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Fletcher.

:agree:

Forced himself into first team squad at 17, playing most games a year later, has had a very good career.

Lago
16-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Fletcher.

Agree

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 09:54 PM

Forced himself into first team squad at 17, playing most games a year later, has had a very good career.

I found Fletcher such a strange player. Undoubted talent as a footballer but not a great goals return at any of his clubs for someone that’s went for so much money throughout his career.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2018, 10:05 PM
There's a genuine belief within the club that he's actually about a year behind in his developmemt because of a couple of previous managers. 'If we had been here a year earlier he'd be destined for the top 6 in England' was close to the exact quote said to me. That was at the time Stubbs was here.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 10:07 PM
There's a genuine belief within the club that he's actually about a year behind in his developmemt because of a couple of previous managers. 'If we had been here a year earlier he'd be destined for the top 6 in England' was close to the exact quote said to me. That was at the time Stubbs was here.

Would Butcher have had that much of an influence on him? He would have only been around 14 at the time of Butcher, even younger when previous managers were here?

Pretty Boy
16-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Would Butcher have had that much of an influence on him? He would have only been around 14 at the time of Butcher, even younger when previous managers were here?

I think it was more a comment on the overall set up at the time.

As an example when Craig, Stubbs etc moved into EM all the heart monitoring equipment and the like had been gathering dust in a cupboard for years as previous regimes didn't believe in it. Of course evidence suggests there's a difference between a player thinking they are working at capacity and actually doing so. Things like that just don't happen now.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 10:15 PM
I think it was more a comment on the overall set up at the time.

As an example when Craig, Stubbs etc moved into EM all the heart monitoring equipment and the like had been gathering dust in a cupboard for years as previous regimes didn't believe in it. Of course evidence suggests there's a difference between a player thinking they are working at capacity and actually doing so. Things like that just don't happen now.

:aok: forgot Craig and co came in at the same time as Stubbs. Seems crazy in this day and age to have all that equipment available to you and not use it.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Scary to think how good he could become in 2/3 years time, if he’s still with us. Future Hiba captain IMO, and potentially maybe even Scotland. Way beyond his years. Leader!

Borderhibbie76
16-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Every bit as good a player as Kieran Tierney for Celtic. He's majestic, he reminds me of the James McPake we had on loan but with better positioning. Ferocious in the tackle, vocal, fearsome and a warrior.Sorry he's a million times better than James mcPake who was a bombscare the way he dived in to challenges. He only looked good when we had him on loan coz the rest of team were utter garbage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Criswell
16-12-2018, 11:09 PM
A young player I am genuinely excited about. Proved himself big-time against the best team in the league.

matty_f
16-12-2018, 11:11 PM
He's an outstanding prospect, still a bit to go to be the finished article but to be able to play such a critical position, and shine regularly, at his age, is fantastic.

I hope we have him for a few years yet, he definitely looks like the real deal.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Sorry he's a million times better than James mcPake who was a bombscare the way he dived in to challenges. He only looked good when we had him on loan coz the rest of team were utter garbage

McPake was the kind of defender who could disguise how poor he was by making last ditch challenges. In reality, he should never have had to be making them in the first place.

Think this is why I love Efe so much. I actually don't know if I've ever seen him leave his feet because he never needs to.

Daydreamer
16-12-2018, 11:20 PM

McPake was the kind of defender who could disguise how poor he was by making last ditch challenges. In reality, he should never have had to be making them in the first place.

Think this is why I love Efe so much. I actually don't know if I've ever seen him leave his feet because he never needs to.

Excatly great post .

Hi Heid Yin
17-12-2018, 12:08 AM
Sorry he's a million times better than James mcPake who was a bombscare the way he dived in to challenges. He only looked good when we had him on loan coz the rest of team were utter garbage

I loved James McPake.
He always gave 100% and went into places others wouldn't dare.
Sadly, his body couldn't keep pace with his mind.
The poor guy suffered big time injury-wise.
There will always be a free pint for him down ER way.

wookie70
17-12-2018, 12:40 AM
He looks the real deal in a difficult position for a youngster. Great chance of kicking on particularly with the players at the club in that position. Early days though as Alex Harris looked a world beater for a few months

truehibernian
17-12-2018, 01:12 AM

James was in a very poor side, badly (and unprofessionally) managed and badly led, but he did really well and for a period galvanised the squad with his character and self belief - still loves Hibs and last time I spoke with him (before a Hearts v Dundee game at Tynie a couple of seasons ago) he has nothing but love for Hibs - top bloke and from our chat was devastated Hibs were relegated.
He was great for the club. When you consider we had the likes of Michael Nelson :rolleyes:, David Stephens :faf:, Sean O'Hanlon :shocked:and Tim 'balsa wood hamstrings' Clancy :bye:around the club he was a godsend :agree: Ryan Porteous is Carlos Puyol in comparison with those charlatans. James was a player :aok:

pacorosssco
17-12-2018, 03:45 AM
him and efe are first pics now. huge talent

calumhibee1
17-12-2018, 07:11 AM
James was in a very poor side, badly (and unprofessionally) managed and badly led, but he did really well and for a period galvanised the squad with his character and self belief - still loves Hibs and last time I spoke with him (before a Hearts v Dundee game at Tynie a couple of seasons ago) he has nothing but love for Hibs - top bloke and from our chat was devastated Hibs were relegated.
He was great for the club. When you consider we had the likes of Michael Nelson :rolleyes:, David Stephens :faf:, Sean O'Hanlon :shocked:and Tim 'balsa wood hamstrings' Clancy :bye:around the club he was a godsend :agree: Ryan Porteous is Carlos Puyol in comparison with those charlatans. James was a player :aok:

He was better than the others, that’s for sure, but he wasn’t good enough. He spent the majority of his career at the likes of Livi and Dundee. That was his level.

No doubting his commitment or passion which you could definitely question in the others in your post, just a lack of ability IMO. Any centre half worth their salt doesn’t need to be making god knows how many body on the line last ditch tackles per game.

Pedantic_Hibee
17-12-2018, 07:14 AM
Love Porteous’ interview where he spoke about keeping things tight etc and then looks to his right and he sees “big Efe swaggering aboot” 😂😂

Both of them were magnificent yesterday. Lovely mix of brawn and calm.

Borderhibbie76
17-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Love Porteous’ interview where he spoke about keeping things tight etc and then looks to his right and he sees “big Efe swaggering aboot” [emoji23][emoji23]

Both of them were magnificent yesterday. Lovely mix of brawn and calm.The 2 of them are building a really good partnership interesting to hear Efe say he loves playing with Porto and vice versa. Let's hope it's enough to persuade Efe to sign a new deal

Hermit Crab
17-12-2018, 09:08 AM

He was James Mistake when he was with us, won't forget that absolutely shocking tackle he put in on Callum Paterson in that league cup game when we were losing 0-1 effectively blowing our chances of salvaging the game.

The Leith Dutch
17-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Love Porteous’ interview where he spoke about keeping things tight etc and then looks to his right and he sees “big Efe swaggering aboot” 😂😂

Both of them were magnificent yesterday. Lovely mix of brawn and calm.

There was a Porteous interception / challenge on Sinclair yesterday that was full blooded but just controlled enough.
You could see it got into Sinclair's head.
Cracking stuff.

Right now Porteous looks like he could play at a very high level indeed.

makaveli1875
17-12-2018, 09:59 AM

No chance , Big Daz will be here until he retires .

Benny Brazil
17-12-2018, 10:01 AM
He is a young player playing in arguably one of the most difficult positions on the pitch, he will also be up against some seasoned pro's so will occasionally make mistakes or have a bad gane - but I genuinely believe he is one of the best to come out of the academy for a long long time and will go on to captain club and country- whether that is with us or a bigger club remains to be seen.
The fact he has already pushed Hanlon and Daz down the pecking order speaks volumes for him.

Northernhibee
17-12-2018, 10:16 AM
No chance , Big Daz will be here until he retires .

I think we are saying one and the same thing.