PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 16122018)

Jonnyboy
16-12-2018, 04:54 PM
I’m going to start this week off with the news that I was gutted today; gutted that some mysterious virus prevented me from going to the game. Given that I can’t even remember the last time I missed a domestic fixture, home or away perhaps the reader will understand my huge disappointment.

Sitting at home and finding out the composition of our starting eleven I confess it did nothing to lift my mood. Whitty at right back, probably facing Sinclair; a midfield that looked as though a good puff of wind would blow it away and a main striker that hadn’t scored since October. How wrong could I be? There were no failures in a Hibs jersey today and though Celtic had more of the ball, I felt we dominated proceedings from start to finish, crafting and scoring two excellent goals along the way, as well as surely dispelling any thoughts of dressing room unrest and players not giving their all.

Inside the first minute, Celtic had us defending near our own corner flag but brilliant play from Whittaker and Mallan played us out of trouble with Whitty finding Hyndman in acres of room just inside his own half. The on loan Bournemouth man strode forward, drawing defenders towards him before slipping the ball to Shaw who looked up and spotted Slivka making a late run into the box. Shaw’s pass to him was perfect and Slivka took a touch, turned inside Simunovic and slotted a low left foot drive into the corner. All of this happened inside the first minute with the goal officially timed at 46 seconds.

As you might expect, Celtic reacted quickly but their first effort, from an Ntcham free kick failed to beat the defensive wall. Next, Horgan broke free and fired in a shot that hit Brown on its way through to Gordon before Mallan had Gordon at full stretch to save one of his long range efforts. Then Edouard curled an effort just over the bar before slack play afforded Forest the chance to deliver a low ball into the six yard area but a brilliant sliding clearance from Porteous knocked the ball out for a corner.

Now let me say this – I loved Scott Brown when he played for us and generally I’ve admired what he has achieved since joining Celtic but he was a very lucky boy indeed that a shocking lunge at Slivka only resulted in a yellow card. Brown got nowhere near the ball and clearly and deliberately played the man. Slivka got treatment but was in pain and did not reappear for the second half. Hibs had a couple of half chances prior to the break but Kamberi’s effort drifted wide and a clearly rehearsed training ground corner saw Hyndman pull his effort miles wide.

The first half had seen us score a great goal, put Celtic under pressure all over the park and defend stoutly, restricting the visitors to a couple of tame long range efforts. Every player had given their all but the question was could they maintain that form?

With Slivka unable to continue, Lenny introduced Sean Mackie into a midfield role and the youngster was excellent. Marciano had not had a lot to do but had to look sharp in getting his hand to a lofted Forest effort. Around ten minutes in, Mackie raced clear on the left and delivered a magnificent cross into the box with the ball landing in that area between retreating defenders and the goalkeeper. Unfortunately, both of our strikers were inches from making contact.

A second goal was needed and on the hour mark it arrived in fine style. A Celtic free kick hit the wall and the ball bounced to a Hibs man before being shuttled into the path of Mackie. The youngster looked up, saw Kamberi free on the right and delivered a lovely cross field ball into his path. Flo took a touch with his chest and as Brown tried to close him down the big striker lashed an unstoppable effort into the roof of the net. The 2-0 lead was no more than Hibs deserved and it was nearly three as Mackie delivered another brilliant ball to the back post where Horgan just failed to connect.

In an effort to gain a foothold in the match, Brendan Rogers introduced Hayes, Morgan and later Johnston into the fray and though the latter two did cause us some problems we stayed firm and deservedly took the three points which few of us might have thought possible.

The players

Rocky – Hard as it may seem to comprehend, Celtic failed to really trouble our keeper at all during the game. Indeed, when the ball did get through to him he stopped everything with some ease.

Whitty – I doubt I was alone in worrying about Whitty against Sinclair but the Hibs man was excellent, getting great support when needed from our hard working midfield.

Efe – So long the subject of unfair taunts from opposing fans, those in the Celtic end must have been seething that Efe was immense whilst their own central pairing were woeful. In a close run thing, I’m giving Efe my man of the match.

Ryan – Learning more and more with the passing of each ninety minutes, he may have the odd blip but his overall play is a joy to watch. Their main striker cost Celtic £m’s but he was never any trouble to Ryan.

Lewis – When he took a hefty knock on the shin I worried that he might not be able to continue but two minutes later he was sprinting to close down a Celtic attack. As part of a solid defence he very much played his part.

Slivka – Once again he was in the thick of it and often part of good attacking play by Hibs but that shocking Scott Brown tackle meant an early finish for him. I hope he forgets that challenge and concentrates instead on his wonderfully taken goal.

Emerson – Watching the game on TV it was obvious to me just how much work this laddie got through. Offered plenty in an attacking sense, his involvement in the opening goal being a case in point, he also worked tirelessly to offer Whitty cover in the right back area.

Stevie – What a performance! Always involved and putting in challenges that we’ve not seen enough of in his game. A couple of great efforts on goal certainly made Craig Gordon earn his salary.

Daryl – I’m confused? Just how was it possible for Daryl to remain so involved, cover so much ground and cause Celtic so many problems when he had the additional weight of Scott Brown in his back pocket!

Oli – A truly solid and at times mature performance from young Oli. I think I see the beginnings of a fine partnership with Flo developing.

Flo – Welcome back big fella. After a good performance at Hamilton last week, Flo stepped it up again and was tremendous throughout. The goal, and what a beauty it was, will further increase his returning confidence.

Sean – I’ve watched Sean a few times for the Development/Reserve team and never been disappointed. A left back to trade, his performance in midfield today was superb. Set Flo up for the second goal and delivered two further crosses of quality that deserved a better outcome.

Lewis A. – Didn’t get long on the pitch but used his physique well on a couple of occasions.

The fans – Hardly heard anything from the South but the singing from Hibs fans came through loud and clear, especially their second half rendition of the Paul Hanlon song.

Lenny – For once I was able to hear Lenny’s post-match interview and smiled when he said he was both delighted and disappointed. The performance and result pleased him but he added that he was a tad disappointed that such a performance has been so long in coming.

The ref – Whisper it but I thought Don Robertson handled the game really well although I reckon a red would have been more appropriate in penalising Scott Brown’s assault on Slivka.

Sky pundits – Not something I usually write about I know but I had to make mention of John McGinn, his obvious enduring love of our club and his clear delight at us beating the reigning champions. Kris Commons tends to steer clear of anything controversial whilst Kris Boyd was very praiseworthy of Hibs on more than one occasion.

Missing the game due to illness – not recommended as watching it on TV wore me out!

EDIT: Was Whitty and Slivka playing out from the back and not Whitty and Mallan

ano hibby
16-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Get better soon John.
Thanks for your report 👍

Lancs Harp
16-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Great report (as ever) get well soon.

Robinho08
16-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Brilliant read, hope you're feeling better soon. Cheers

DaveF
16-12-2018, 05:11 PM
What a nightmare for you in missing that game John. Though if we play like that when you are not around, perhaps give Wednesday a miss :-D

MSK
16-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Thanks JC, your knowledge of hibs can never be questioned, whether at the game or not, I will take your view over a pundits anyday, get well soon Mr hibs 👍

hibby6270
16-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Great report as usual JB. It was as if you WERE there!!
One question. From a TV watching perspective, who was your MOTM? Sponsors said Efe. I thought Ryan.

Get well soon.

Lancs Harp
16-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Great report as usual JB. It was as if you WERE there!!
One question. From a TV watching perspective, who was your MOTM? Sponsors said Efe. I thought Ryan.

Get well soon.

Sky gave it to Ryan, I would tend to agree, not that Efe wasnt close.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Sky gave it to Ryan, I would tend to agree, not that Efe wasnt close.

Would find it impossible to seperate them. Both of them put in what was pretty much a perfect performance.

The Green Goblin
16-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Great read. Get well soon.

JXM73
16-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Has that **** brown got out of Horgans pocket yet?

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2018, 05:57 PM
What an excellent team performance that was … absolutely everybody on the pitch worked their ***** off and we just didn't let Celtic have any easy passages of play, at the same time looking dangerous ourselves when we broke forward.

Marciano …. 7 ….. Looked calm in goals, but in all honesty had as easy a time of it as you will see a keeper get against Celtic, did well on the few times he was called into action.

Whittaker …. 7 ….. Gave the ball away needlessly which nearly lead to a dangerous Celtic attack, but that aside it was by far his best performance of the season.

Ambrose ……. 9 ….. F'ing strolled it … he was guilty of a dodgy pass in his own half once, but that was his only real mistake in a great performance.

Porteous …… 8.5 ….. He was immense at the back and some of his tackles were brilliant, what a future he has.

Stevenson ….. 7 …. Solid as anything and twice turned 40/60 balls against him into 50/50 challenges …. he always did have guts and he showed it today.

Mallan ….. 7 ….. Stuffed talk about being a passenger down everybody's throat ( including mine ) with a high energy performance, that's more like it kid.

Hyndman ….. 7 ….. Another component of what looks like a powder puff midfield who proved today that he and they can get it done, his best performance for Hibs.

Slivka ….. 7 …. If he had been allowed to continue his first half performance into the second it would have been a 9 … that was going to be his best performance since he signed …. where the hell has that version of him been hiding?

Horgan …. 7 …. Did very well in the midfield and at times was very effective in a number of moves … another guy who probably had his best game in a Hibs jersey.

Shaw ….. 7 ….. Worked his socks off and was the epitome of 'defending from the front'

Kamberi …. 7 …. Perhaps a bit too greedy at times when a pass would have been better, but a much better performance from him and he just crashed the ball past Gordon for a great goal.

Subs:

MacKie …. 7 …. If this guy is supposed to be a defender he must be a hell of a good one, because he does a very good impression of a midfielder, put in some smashing balls and didn't look in the least out of place .. well done son.

Allan …. 5 ….. Not enough time to get a chance for himself, but he gets 5 for being a small part of a great win.

The ref ….. I thought he was far too quick to give Celtic fouls for what were perfectly good challenges, especially the one in the first half outside our box which from where I was sitting looked absolutely fine. If Brown's assault on Slivka had been the other way around I wonder if Slivka would have stayed on the park?

The ball boy … 10 ….. ha ha ha, brilliant son :faf:

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Slivka hasn't been hiding. Adds to many other good performances by him this season and last. Need him Vs the Huns.

Jones28
16-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Great report as ever JB. Get well soon 👍🏻

Juniper Greens
16-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Agree with most of this apart from the fact that for me, porteous strolled the game. Made two errors I think, but kept winning tackles and headers, holding the line, telling efe to push up.

Superb performance and I think the best I've seen from an under 20 player in a long time, for any club

Greenbeard
16-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Stuck to listening on radio* so I, and folk like me, huvnae a clue about the ball boy 10/10. Care to elaborate?
(*Hibs TV audio was p*sh - crap link from Sky?).

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Stuck to listening on radio* so I, and folk like me, huvnae a clue about the ball boy 10/10. Care to elaborate?
(*Hibs TV audio was p*sh - crap link from Sky?).

Brown gestured towards the ball boy as if to say “throw me the ball”. The ball boy stood holding it out and made him run 20 odd yards to get it.

Greenbeard
16-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Brown gestured towards the ball boy as if to say “throw me the ball”. The ball boy stood holding it out and made him run 20 odd yards to get it.
:na na:

Billy Whizz
16-12-2018, 07:30 PM
John not as good a report as when you’re at the game😄
Hope you’re feeling better and able to attend on Wednesday
Spot on report as usual though!
Wee word of mention for some of our set plays today, the 2 short corners were straight from the training ground, and if Hyndman had connected properly would have been a great goal

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 07:32 PM
John not as good a report as when you’re at the game😄
Hope you’re feeling better and able to attend on Wednesday
Spot on report as usual though!
Wee word of mention for some of our set plays today, the 2 short corners were straight from the training ground, and if Hyndman had connected properly would have been a great goal

Very difficult ball for Hyndman to take but was well worked.

brog
16-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Excellent as ever John. Now you know what us foreigners have to go through to get our Hibs fix! Get well soon mate!

ShadesLongThrow
16-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Good report. Rocky gets an extra point from me for his subtle time wasting. Rolling the ball past the 6 yard line at every goal kick then taking another 10 seconds to retrieve it and place it correctly would’ve driven me mental if he was doing that against us!

Keith_M
16-12-2018, 07:59 PM
I've got the flu and still went to the game.

You're a big woose, JB.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2018, 08:16 PM
That was a great read, Jonnyboy.

Get well soon.

hibee_girl
16-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Great report Jonnyboy, feel better soon!

Jonnyboy
16-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes, much appreciated. Working on my fitness for Wednesday now but at the moment it looks like a late fitness test :greengrin

I could and should have said in my report that today's performance was by far our best of the season to date. Der Hun struggled today, apparently so let's hope we can turn them over too :thumbsup:

Bobby's Cinema
16-12-2018, 09:03 PM
We were outstanding all over the park. Our pressing game was brilliant to watch

Dont remember cheering so many slide tackles in a single game as today from RP and so good in particular for me to see Flo back playing like that.

Can look forward to the next few games fully confident we have that in us again

Jonnyboy
16-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Read this and see if you agree it describes the Scott Brown tackle on Slivka

He dives in recklessly on Ousmane Dembele, nowhere near the ball and catching the Frenchman on the shins.

Levante player v Barca - sent off

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 10:02 PM

He dives in recklessly on Ousmane Dembele, nowhere near the ball and catching the Frenchman on the shins.

I’ve not seen that tackle but I didn’t think Brown caught Slivka on the shin, I thought it was more of a scissor motion?

I did think it was a red though.

CMurdoch
16-12-2018, 10:07 PM

The worst part about that was Slivka having to go off and now highly likely to miss the Rangers game according to Lennon.
Being the cynic I am i would almost opinion that Brown put Hibs best player out of the game on purpose. Broon, Hibs bar steward :wink:.

Hermit Crab
17-12-2018, 09:01 AM
I've got the flu and still went to the game.

You're a big woose, JB.

If you've really got the flu then you were at no game! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Brilliant as always JC

Get well soon

:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
17-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Have amended my OP because I wrongly stated it was Whitty and Mallan that started the move for the first goal when in fact it was Whitty and Slivka. It makes Slivka’s goal all the more remarkable. I’ve watched the build up and rather than watching the ball I watched Slivka. Outstanding from VS.