PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Mallan

Pages : [1] 2

LaMotta
16-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Offers nothing when he doesn't score:wink::wink:

Wheat Hound
16-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Best game for us. We looked better balanced with no Milligan or Bartley though both of them will play their part in certain other games. Mallans interceptions and reading of the game were superb

Diclonius
16-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Stevie McGeouch

wookie70
16-12-2018, 02:17 PM
He put in more tackles today that he has the whole season combined. No wonder Lennon expressed his frustration as well as his delight because half the team have been way below full throttle for much of the year. Mallan, Horgan and Hyndman ran relentlessly, nudged, pressed and got tackles in. For most of the season they have jogged alongside players at best. Mallan should look at that game and then look at SJMs wages and realise its there for him if he shows the same mentality that Super John did.

dmc1875
16-12-2018, 02:29 PM
He put in more tackles today that he has the whole season combined. No wonder Lennon expressed his frustration as well as his delight because half the team have been way below full throttle for much of the year. Mallan, Horgan and Hyndman ran relentlessly, nudged, pressed and got tackles in. For most of the season they have jogged alongside players at best. Mallan should look at that game and then look at SJMs wages and realise its there for him if he shows the same mentality that Super John did.

He was miles better today than in any other game this season. Great performance well played

bingo70
16-12-2018, 02:34 PM
His best performance for us imo.

I would have given him motm but can’t really argue with Efe getting it.

hibs#1
16-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Was great worked like mad and never gave Celtics midfield a moment,plus still carried a goal threat.Hope he can keep that level of play up more often.

SirDavidsNapper
16-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Outstanding today

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 02:42 PM
He reminded me of Lewis Morgan last season but better.

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2018, 02:44 PM
I thought he's been a passenger recently, and not contributed much apart from the odd free kick or corner. Today he was much much better, he pressed the ball, took it in and controlled it.

He was calm on the ball, played it easy and worked his socks off all game, probably his best all round game for us, well done Stevie, same again Wednesday and the rest of the season. :top marks

Ryan69
16-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Stevie McGeouch

Complete opposite.
Mcgeouch seemed scared to shoot most of the time

Borderhibbie76
16-12-2018, 03:22 PM
He put in more tackles today that he has the whole season combined. No wonder Lennon expressed his frustration as well as his delight because half the team have been way below full throttle for much of the year. Mallan, Horgan and Hyndman ran relentlessly, nudged, pressed and got tackles in. For most of the season they have jogged alongside players at best. Mallan should look at that game and then look at SJMs wages and realise its there for him if he shows the same mentality that Super John did.Excellent post and 100% agree

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
16-12-2018, 03:35 PM
That's more like it Stevie. Well below par for the last few months but that was a great midfield performance, more of the same please.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2018, 03:39 PM
If he plays like that every week there won't be much to criticise him about.

Lago
16-12-2018, 03:44 PM
His best performance for us imo.

I would have given him motm but can’t really argue with Efe getting it.
He didn't, Ryan did 😁

Michael
16-12-2018, 03:45 PM
He didn't, Ryan did 😁

Efe was the sponsors motm. Ryan was sky motm.

hibee_girl
16-12-2018, 03:47 PM
He didn't, Ryan did 😁

Efe got MOTM at the stadium from the sponsors

Tarrahib
16-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Were you at the match?

Sir David Gray
16-12-2018, 03:50 PM
He didn't, Ryan did 😁

No he didn't.

cabbageandribs1875
16-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Were you at the match?

possibly a 'woosh' :dunno:

Jack Hackett
16-12-2018, 03:53 PM
possibly a 'woosh' :dunno:

Big one... or possibly someone who just likes to know who was there :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
16-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Big one... or possibly someone who just likes to know who was there :greengrin

:greengrin

CMurdoch
16-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Were you at the match?

OP's tongue is firmly in his cheek

hfc rd
16-12-2018, 04:06 PM
He played that deep midfield role extremely well. Reminded me a bit like Dylan McGeouch.

My_Wife_Camille
16-12-2018, 04:20 PM
His best game for us so far. One swallow doesn’t make a summer but he’s shown us he has it so it’s up to him to keep those types of performances up.

I’d rather see performances like that without the goals than the poorer ones with them. The golden goose egg would be for those types of performances with the goals on top though, hopefully that will follow 👏🏼

matty_f
16-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Mallan was excellent today, we need to see that week in/week out from him.

LaMotta
16-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Were you at the match?

No, what was the score!?

Tarrahib
16-12-2018, 05:19 PM
No, what was the score!?
You 1 Me 0

LaMotta
16-12-2018, 05:23 PM
You 1 Me 0

:top marks

B.H.F.C
16-12-2018, 05:24 PM
IMO, he played so well because he didn’t have to run about too much, which isn’t his strength.

Playing at the bottom of the diamond he could get on the ball and pass which he is good at.

I thought he was superb today.

Vault Boy
16-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Marvin Bartley-esque today! Showed what he's capable of, combative and his passing was class.

Tarrahib
16-12-2018, 06:26 PM

:top marks
I should have gone to specsavers

Godsahibby
16-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Finally one of the midfielders we have been looking for. Let’s hope he can keep up that level of performance.

BoomtownHibees
16-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Marvin Bartley-esque today! Showed what he's capable of, combative and his passing was class.

Nothing like Marv imo but today was probably his best game so far. Didn’t fancy him playing so deep but he strolled it today

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 07:10 PM
I described todays performance on another thread as setting the bar - if things slip after this for certain individuals and the whole team then today was meaningless, but many points proved on the pitch today and something to keep doing for the rest of the season.

I didn't see today coming - from Mallan, Lennon and the team overall but it has to continue as such from here.

superfurryhibby
16-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Mallan was a revelation today, I wasn’t sure he had that in him. He worked really hard and was classy on the ball when under pressure. Some lovely passing, tackling and harrying of his opponent.

Vault Boy
16-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Nothing like Marv imo but today was probably his best game so far. Didn’t fancy him playing so deep but he strolled it today

I was joking with the Marv comparison. 😉

Just good to see him make some solid challenges, a part of his game which is usually subject to criticism.

Agreed, good to see him do well in a different role.

J-C
16-12-2018, 07:26 PM
He was outstanding, it was his best game for us so far but as others have said he and other players need to play like that more often but he was a joy today.

Lago
16-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Efe was the sponsors motm. Ryan was sky motm.
I stand corrected

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2018, 07:35 PM
I agree that Mallan had a tremendous game.

He is a quality player and a perpetual goal threat from distance.

But, today he delivered an "all-round" performance, which I for one feel has been missing from him in far too many games - especially during our recent miserable run, where we needed him to contribute far more than the odd free kick or pot shot from far out.

He now needs to take heart from an outstanding performance against the best side in the SPL and work on the mental side of his game - and not allow himself to become all but invisible in those games against your Livingstons and St. Johnstons.

Todays rare "all-round" performance gives us a clue as to why Neil Lennon went for him.

Well done Stevie.

The Spaceman
16-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Stevie Mallan was absolutely immense today.

Have always really liked him as a player, he is technically very good and a freekick is almost as good as a penalty with him standing over it. He is exciting and gets you off your seat whenever he is on the ball in the opposition half.

Onion
16-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Like watching a completely different player today. Who knew, Mallan could tackle, harass and compete like that. Where has he been ?

He's obviously got more to his game than just set pieces. Up to Lennon to remind him.

BILLYHIBS
16-12-2018, 08:16 PM
One pass first half out to Stevenson on the left 45 yards reminded me of the Tornadoes that is the highest compliment I can pay him Stevenson Shudda whipped it into the box first time but decided to check back

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 08:20 PM
One pass first half out to Stevenson on the left 45 yards reminded me of the Tornadoes that is the highest compliment I can pay him Stevenson Shudda whipped it into the box first time but decided to check back

If it’s the one I’m thinking of then Stevenson should definitely have put it in first time. Shaw was in acres and he turned back and passed it off.

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 08:20 PM

It was Paul Scholes-esque.

BILLYHIBS
16-12-2018, 08:21 PM
If it’s the one I’m thinking of then Stevenson should definitely have put it in first time. Shaw was in acres and he turned back and passed it off.
That’s my boy!
😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

jacomo
16-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Complete opposite.
Mcgeouch seemed scared to shoot most of the time

I think you’re missing the point.

We all know Mallan carries a goal threat. If he can add the good bits from Dylan’s game too... we will have a special player.

Hibees1973
16-12-2018, 08:32 PM
When Hibs were at their best last year we did not play with a physical defensive midfield player. It was McGeouch in front of the back four making us tick with Allan and McGinn driving forward from midfield.

When we play, especially at home, do we need a physical defensive midfield player, i.e, Bartley or Milligan.

It is very early in his Hibs career but Lennon could persist with Mallan in the ‘McGeouch’ role. He is a similar size to McGeouch and not blessed with much pace, same as McGeouch.

The only disadvantage in playing Mallan deeper is that he is not as much a goal threat which is a bit a waste of his shooting prowess. He would still take the set pieces.

Mallan possesses the same technical ability as McGeouch. He rarely gives the ball away.

I know we have to move on from last year and my text shows that I regarded McGeouch highly, but after Mallan’s display today he gives us this option.

Just a thought.

monktonharp
16-12-2018, 08:44 PM
I thought he's been a passenger recently, and not contributed much apart from the odd free kick or corner. Today he was much much better, he pressed the ball, took it in and controlled it.

He was calm on the ball, played it easy and worked his socks off all game, probably his best all round game for us, well done Stevie, same again Wednesday and the rest of the season. :top marksthought the wee man was immense today. had one or two passes going adrift at crucial times but overall, a great performance. that cheeky dig, into the bottom corner of the net was almost in. the big lanky gorgie dog just got to it. !

monktonharp
16-12-2018, 08:58 PM
I described todays performance on another thread as setting the bar - if things slip after this for certain individuals and the whole team then today was meaningless, but many points proved on the pitch today and something to keep doing for the rest of the season.

I didn't see today coming - from Mallan, Lennon and the team overall but it has to continue as such from here.I think you are being a bit harsh to be honest. today, the whole team performed. we were crying out for something like that but never expected id it against Celtic. let's be honest! for me, I'd have settled on a draw! overall, our guys did extremely well and closed down the opposition fairly quickly in the second half when they threatened to get back into the game.we have not lost for 4 games, although dropping 4 points at hame. Happy with that.

cleanyman
16-12-2018, 09:04 PM
His best game by far

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 09:04 PM
I think you are being a bit harsh to be honest. today, the whole team performed. we were crying out for something like that but never expected id it against Celtic. let's be honest! for me, I'd have settled on a draw! overall, our guys did extremely well and closed down the opposition fairly quickly in the second half when they threatened to get back into the game.we have not lost for 4 games, although dropping 4 points at hame. Happy with that.

I think the thing is we've shown in flashes this season how good we can be. The opening game of the seaon, 6-0 vs Hamilton and today, we can be brilliant and if we showed more consistency would be looking at battling with Killie and the two arse cheeks. Like you, I just want the best for Hibs and this season has been massively, massively frustrating. Fingers crossed this is the start of a good run kicking off :aok:

col02
16-12-2018, 09:19 PM
I think folk need to remember he's still a young lad and compare where he is now to where Mcgeogh or McGinn were at the same stage in their Hibs career if they really must make comparisons. In his own right he's had a good start at Hibs with regards to goals and assists.

monktonharp
16-12-2018, 09:29 PM
I think the thing is we've shown in flashes this season how good we can be. The opening game of the seaon, 6-0 vs Hamilton and today, we can be brilliant and if we showed more consistency would be looking at battling with Killie and the two arse cheeks. Like you, I just want the best for Hibs and this season has been massively, massively frustrating. Fingers crossed this is the start of a good run kicking off :aok:agreed mate, frustrating as we started fairly well. Always felt though that we'd dip, pick up and kick on a bit. some of the comments about Lennon recently were out of order. how do folk feel tonight, about him? he put out a team that pumped his " beloved ones" and came up trumps. well done NL.

Ryan69
16-12-2018, 09:30 PM

I didn't see today coming - from Mallan, Lennon and the team overall but it has to continue as such from here.

Was delighted for Flo today!
Had a hard time recemtly..and what a finish.

Things like that can change alot with Goals.

Mallan was fantastic..and a real threat. ;)

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 09:35 PM
agreed mate, frustrating as we started fairly well. Always felt though that we'd dip, pick up and kick on a bit. some of the comments about Lennon recently were out of order. how do folk feel tonight, about him? he put out a team that pumped his " beloved ones" and came up trumps. well done NL.

Honestly about NL, it's common knowledge that I don't like him and wanted him gone post Killie. If we keep playing the way we did today then I'm proven wrong which is brilliant. If we fall back into the form we did before the last couple of games then we can't live with that level of inconsistency when there's clearly a very good team there. Just as much as we all got carried away after the awful run of form recently (and lets face it, it's because we all want the best for the club and we all see different reasons for the awful run of form we had) there's no point in getting carried away because we scraped a win against Hamilton which some people also got carried away with but today gives cause for optimism again.

If we continue the way we did today I'm proven wrong but I couldn't give a **** because that means that Hibs are winning and winning well, and that's what 100% of us here want.

tamig
16-12-2018, 09:45 PM
OP's tongue is firmly in his cheek

The concept of smileys appears to be alien to some people.

tamig
16-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Was delighted for Flo today!
Had a hard time recemtly..and what a finish.

Things like that can change alot with Goals.

Mallan was fantastic..and a real threat. ;)

It was the black boots what done it for Flo. Back to basics.

monktonharp
16-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Ok with that sentiment. I always feel though that if any club comes through a rough patch, the only way to come through it is to bag a couple of draws here and there before we actually nab a win. we've done that. annoyingly we dropped 4 points at home against lower teams, although it has to be remembered they are both fighting for their lives.

RyeSloan
16-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Mallan was a revelation today, I wasn’t sure he had that in him. He worked really hard and was classy on the ball when under pressure. Some lovely passing, tackling and harrying of his opponent.

I think he’s defo got it in him and today showed that.

Still think he has a bit to go as well so here’s hoping this is the start of him getting some serious match fitness about him where he really start to influence games consistently.

Whether he does or not you can still admire his skills...he payed a ball for Lewis in the first half that was a cross field, down the line inch perfect thing of beauty.

vahibbie
16-12-2018, 10:35 PM
The man cannae win a ball in midfield.....aye right.
Brilliant today, worked his socks off. TBF, everyone did. Where have they been for the last 8 games.
Happy Hibby tonight:flag:

southern hibby
16-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Think the difference today was we played to our strengths and didn’t try and counter how the other team would play, which we seem to have been doing in recent weeks.

Every player looked like they knew their job ( and did it too a man ). They played for each other hassled and got stuck in and ( this was the major thing for me today ) won numerous second balls.

We’ve set a bench mark against the champs and we shouldn’t fear any team, they should fear us. Today was what we’ve wanted and we got it, let’s hope it’s the start of a massive push towards top 4 for Europe. Infact bu88er that top 3 let’s improve on last year. If we play like we did today and get our injured players back, buy we’ll in Jan then I don’t see why we can’t.

GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2018, 11:04 PM

A criticism which up until today was looking more and more justified … a neat and tidy player who wasn't affecting the game. Today he really stepped up his game played with a far higher intensity closed players down and played some nice passes. His performance was exactly what Neil Lennon was talking about in his post match interview … that's how he needs to play every week and if he can the loss of John McGinn wont be felt so badly around here.

J-C
17-12-2018, 06:56 AM
Think the difference today was we played to our strengths and didn’t try and counter how the other team would play, which we seem to have been doing in recent weeks.

Every player looked like they knew their job ( and did it too a man ). They played for each other hassled and got stuck in and ( this was the major thing for me today ) won numerous second balls.

We’ve set a bench mark against the champs and we shouldn’t fear any team, they should fear us. Today was what we’ve wanted and we got it, let’s hope it’s the start of a massive push towards top 4 for Europe. Infact bu88er that top 3 let’s improve on last year. If we play like we did today and get our injured players back, buy we’ll in Jan then I don’t see why we can’t.

GGTTH

This, we need to play to our strengths and stop chopping and changing shape to suit other teams, the players all looked like they knew exactly what their jobs were and performed it perfectly, no round pegs in square holes, Slivka being the prime example.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2018, 07:45 AM

GGTTH
We definitely tried to counter how Celtic were playing. We pushed very high up to stop them passing it out and packed the middle to force them out wide.

bigwheel
17-12-2018, 07:56 AM
We definitely tried to counter how Celtic were playing. We pushed very high up to stop them passing it out and packed the middle to force them out wide.

yes, agreed - Lennon's tactics were outstanding yesterday - quite a different style from us - played a huge part in the result.

southern hibby
17-12-2018, 09:08 AM

I don’t see it that way I see us with two strikers up the pitch who fought for everything. Packed the midfield as you said, but again think this was because of the players we had available.

It’s amazing though how fans read the game different from one another.

I will say this though either way each of us interprets that display, it was a display worth watching.

GGTTH

LaMotta
19-12-2018, 10:11 PM

Where are your winking smilies the night then pal eh?:tsk tsk::offski:

cleanyman
19-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Back to his usual

He simply has to play better regularly

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2018, 10:19 PM
Was totally outstanding versus Celtic

Was fortunate that Rocky went off tonight as was a candidate for the hook imho

EH54
19-12-2018, 10:19 PM
The only thing he's got that's better than any the midfielders he's up against for a starting slot is his long range shots. If we aren't going to play him anywhere near the oppositions box then there's no point having him in there. Slivka is far better in every other department for me. He's trying harder though, but we can do better. Don't like saying it but I don't think we would miss any our current midfield if they walked out the door in January.

SeanWilson
19-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Loves to stand about pointing at everyone else. Offered near on **** all the whole game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
19-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Gave the ball away in the 2nd minute and that set the tone for the rest of his game. Not his best performance.

Since90+2
19-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Utterly pathetic some Hibs fans want to come on here and seemingly point score after the boy didn't play well today.

He's a young lad who will have on and off spells throughout the season.

wookie70
19-12-2018, 10:36 PM
Very poor tonight. He was outstanding on Sunday so we know what level he can play at. He needs to do it far more often but to be fair to him there was next to no movement from our forward players tonight

ian cruise
19-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Was the main issue they crowded us out the midfield and harried us all game? After Sunday we just didn't have it in us to cope with that, let's not get the pitch forks out just yet. Beat Livi and it's been a good run going in to the derby.

TelaStella
19-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Only difference between us and him tonight is he got in for free. I’m a big fan of his and I’m still convinced that over time he will improve as a player but tonight has to be the worst I’ve seen of him in a hibs shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Utterly pathetic some Hibs fans want to come on here and seemingly point score after the boy didn't play well today.

Many aren't 'point scoring', just being objective and saying he was very off the pace tonight and for games like this, he needs to completely 'up his game' and realise you don't get those extra seconds on the ball when you have quality opposition trying to win it back - and when you lose the ball, you bust a gut to harry and chase and win it back.

If he wants to progress he needs to add this to his game - it's not being overly critical - it's being honest in a critique of a good player who needs to add things to his game to reach top level.

Watch the game back and count how many time he lost possession or played suicidal balls back -watch second half how many times he was caught in possession and failed to track runners ? Mallan and Hyndman in particular owe a lot to the likes of Bogdan, Lewy, Efe and Porteous for bailing them out tonight and grinding out a point.

He is a good player, but needs to realise his all round game needs to really improve and quickly.

calumhibee1

I’ve not saw anyone point scoring other than Victor Park taking the mickey out himself? Just people pointing out he was poor tonight and needs to do more.

Unseen work
Struggling with a groin injury tonight.

I think sometimes players expect too much from his passing sometimes and don’t always give him an easy option, a lot of the time he gets it in a right area and they expect him to turn out and hit a 30 yard pass.

Very hard to do under that much pressure.

CMurdoch
19-12-2018, 10:42 PM
I don't like to knock our players but he was very poor tonight.
Caught in possession time after time which set up numerous potentially fatal counter attacks for Rangers.

He takes world class free kicks and his shooting is great.
However, as a player he simply isn't good enough.
He works hard, so nothing to do with that but is just not fast enough, strong enough or good enough.
I wanted Milligan to replace him at half time and couldn't believe Horgan was hooked instead.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 10:48 PM
I don't like to knock our players but he was very poor tonight.
Caught in possession time after time which set up numerous potentially fatal counter attacks for Rangers.

He takes world class free kicks and his shooting is great.
However, as a player he simply isn't good enough.
He works hard, so nothing to do with that but is just not fast enough, strong enough or good enough.
I wanted Milligan to replace him at half time and couldn't believe Horgan was hooked instead.

I don’t think he’s absolutely not good enough but in this day and age having such a lack of athleticism will stop you going much further in the game and I reckon that will be the case with him. May improve and go on to be a solid player for us for years but I can’t see him ever moving on to bigger things than Hibs due to it.

Stuart93
19-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Annoyed me how he can go from the player he was on Sunday to the opposite tonight. There’s a player in there 100% but really needs to show it consistently

SMAXXA
19-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Many aren't 'point scoring', just being objective and saying he was very off the pace tonight and for games like this, he needs to completely 'up his game' and realise you don't get those extra seconds on the ball when you have quality opposition trying to win it back - and when you lose the ball, you bust a gut to harry and chase and win it back.

If he wants to progress he needs to add this to his game - it's not being overly critical - it's being honest in a critique of a good player who needs to add things to his game to reach top level.

Watch the game back and count how many time he lost possession or played suicidal balls back -watch second half how many times he was caught in possession and failed to track runners ? Mallan and Hyndman in particular owe a lot to the likes of Bogdan, Lewy, Efe and Porteous for bailing them out tonight and grinding out a point.

He is a good player, but needs to realise his all round game needs to really improve and quickly.

Kinda where I’m at

gaz1875
19-12-2018, 10:53 PM
He needs to stop turning backwards, Slivka first touch is nearly always forward thinking, Mallan always wants to go back into his own half.

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2018, 10:58 PM

Would be absolutely over the moon if he proves us wrong but one swallow doesn’t make a summer you got to do it week in week out if you are going to make it in this game.

You should know that!

He set a bar on Sunday and fell below it tonight

In my book he he had a shocker and the boy unfortunately will know it himself

Sir David Gray
19-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Sunday was his best performance for us by far, he was terrific.

Overall though I've not been impressed so far. He's hit some brilliant free kicks and long range efforts but his overall play has left a lot to be desired.

Zazu62
19-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Was the main issue they crowded us out the midfield and harried us all game? After Sunday we just didn't have it in us to cope with that, let's not get the pitch forks out just yet. Beat Livi and it's been a good run going in to the derby.

We still need to go to ibrox

LaMotta
19-12-2018, 11:12 PM
I’ve not saw anyone point scoring other than Victor Park taking the mickey out himself? Just people pointing out he was poor tonight and needs to do more.

Couldn't help myself. 1 all to me!

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 11:13 PM
Couldn't help myself. 1 all to me!

Fergos
19-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Balanced critique and where Im at also. Superb on Sunday and he is more than capable, consistency next please. Dare I say it I think he could also be a bit fitter....

GGTTH

ian cruise
19-12-2018, 11:18 PM
We still need to go to ibrox

3 points there is a given....

OK I'll admit I forgot.

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2018, 11:22 PM
Stevie Mallan tonight reminded me of Kevin Thomson getting caught in possession against Ross County in the League Cup Final and I don’t think he ever played for us again.

Fortunately it did not lead to a goal but one pass back in particular straight to a The Rangers forward :confused:

CMurdoch
19-12-2018, 11:30 PM
I don’t think he’s absolutely not good enough but in this day and age having such a lack of athleticism will stop you going much further in the game and I reckon that will be the case with him. May improve and go on to be a solid player for us for years but I can’t see him ever moving on to bigger things than Hibs due to it.

He obviously worked hard to develop his shooting and free kick skills and now needs to work even harder to be a better and/or stronger athlete.
Otherwise I fear he will see himself back at St Mirren or another bottom 6 team when his Hibs contract expires.
At 22 he has a chance. He is a sensible guyso i'm sure he will do all he can to improve.

franck sauzee
19-12-2018, 11:35 PM
I thought the issue tonight was that we never got Stevie on the ball going forward at all. He had his back to the play every time and had a bad game really

Smartie
19-12-2018, 11:35 PM
He obviously worked hard to develop his shooting and free kick skills and now needs to work even harder to be a better and/or stronger athlete.
Otherwise I fear he will see himself back at St Mirren or another bottom 6 team when his Hibs contract expires.

I don't think he has it in him to be a much stronger athlete, and it will be his undoing as a player.

He'll dominate games like Sunday's when he's given the freedom of the park to do what he does best, but I don't think he has what it takes physically to rise above teams that put him under pressure.

Shame, as he has a wonderful right foot on him.

Diclonius
19-12-2018, 11:46 PM
From Stevie McGeouch to Stevie Tudur Jones.

matty_f
19-12-2018, 11:53 PM
I thought the issue tonight was that we never got Stevie on the ball going forward at all. He had his back to the play every time and had a bad game really

I thought that Rangers targeted him - whenever he got the ball they were right on top of him and he didn't cope well with that at all.

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 11:57 PM
I thought that Rangers targeted him - whenever he got the ball they were right on top of him and he didn't cope well with that at all.

I thought they targeted Whitty and Mallan had time and space to take the ball and use it Matty - first half I haven't seen him lose the ball so often since he joined - under no pressure he seemed to rush his passes.

More importantly he was weak in the challenge and lost runners second half - he must improve that aspect of his game as he needs to defend as much as be offensive.

franck sauzee
20-12-2018, 12:01 AM

As much as I don't want to. Got to praise Gerrard. Came with a game plan to nullify and counter us and it worked apart from they couldn't score. We hung on in and a point in the end was decent

CMurdoch
20-12-2018, 12:03 AM

Yeah, they had obviously worked that out and executed it well.
It's that old thing where you can only be as good as you are allowed to be.
I would like to think he will watch the match back at length and work out what to do next time he faces the same issues.
Last season and this season has been a big wake up call for him after a few years of constant praise at St Mirren.
He has much to work on from tonight's match.

IGRIGI
20-12-2018, 12:11 AM
He needs to learn how to use his arse like McGinn.

Baader
20-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Needs to hit the gym. He's a very smart player and talented so should be able to improve.

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2018, 01:17 AM

:agree::agree: My take on this pair too.

Little wonder Neil lennon is frustrated.

Inconsistency has been our Achilles heel this season.

SeanWilson
20-12-2018, 01:37 AM
He needs to learn how to use his arse like McGinn.He needs to learn how to play 11 aside football.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Clarence
20-12-2018, 04:48 AM
I felt he had opportunities tonight to take up better positions at the edge of their box and look for space but instead he seemed to hide in a crowd of players.

SirDavidsNapper
20-12-2018, 05:25 AM
Not going to be too harsh on him. He had a bad game last night but was excellent on Sunday.

Beefster
20-12-2018, 06:00 AM
I’ve defended him before against the criticism of ‘does nothing but score goals’ but last night he was woeful. Him getting the ball was a guarantee that Rangers would end up in possession and, half the time, end up with a decent chance.

Spike Mandela
20-12-2018, 06:49 AM
Have to grudgingly give Rangers some credit last night. They snapped at our our midfield all game last night and the minute Mallen got the ball at least two players were right on him. A McGinn type player can cope with that but that isn’t Mallen’s type of game, not yet anyway.

BSEJVT
20-12-2018, 07:02 AM
I thought they targeted Whitty and Mallan had time and space to take the ball and use it Matty - first half I haven't seen him lose the ball so often since he joined - under no pressure he seemed to rush his passes.

More importantly he was weak in the challenge and lost runners second half - he must improve that aspect of his game as he needs to defend as much as be offensive.

Agree entirely with the bit in bold

Every single week he fails to track runners

That is usually down to 1 of 3 things

Lack of Fitness

Lack of Desire

Lack of Awareness

I sincerely hope it is the latter but even that is worrying if that is the case as that should have been coached out of him a long time ago.

I like Mallan, but if he is going to improve further he needs to massively step up the defensive aspects of his game and get stuck in and do the unglamorous stuff

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Agree entirely with the bit in bold

Every single week he fails to track runners

That usually down to 1 of 3 things

Lack of Fitness

Lack of Desire

Lack of awareness

I sincerely hope it is the latter but even that's is worrying if that is the case as that should have been coached out of him a long time ago.

I like Mallan, but if he is going to improve further he needs to massively step up the defensive aspects of his game and get stuck in and do the unglamorous stuff

Maybe as another poster has suggested elsewhere we are playing him out of position

He had great success playing further forward for St Mirren

I personally think he could not tackle a fish supper

He had no problem putting the foot in on Sunday versus Celtic :confused:

We need to play to his strengths if he plays at all

Centre Hawf
20-12-2018, 07:35 AM
I think as many have alluded to his fitness isn’t quite up to what you need to make it at this level properly. He’s a passenger at times when we lose possession. I think had we not spent money on him or he scored goals when he first came in we’d probably have dropped him by now.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 07:37 AM
I think as many have alluded to his fitness isn’t quite up to what you need to make it at this level properly. He’s a passenger at times when we lose possession. I think had we not spent money on him or he scored goals when he first came in we’d probably have dropped him by now.

If he hadn’t of scored the goals he’d definitely have been dropped by now. In saying that it’s not fair to just disregars what is the best part of his game. He needs to offer so much more though.

ian cruise
20-12-2018, 07:40 AM
I know he's not showing it just now but but I firmly believe this time next year we'll all be asking why Mallan isn't in the Scotland squad.

He's got the skills required, just needs to learn to play at a slightly higher level than he was when at St Mirren and add some consistency. Add in a bit of time working with our coaching team and developing a full understanding with his team mates. I've every faith in him doing so.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 07:41 AM
I know he's not showing it just now but but I firmly believe this time next year we'll all be asking why Mallan isn't in the Scotland squad.

He's got the skills required, just needs to learn to play at a slightly higher level than he was when at St Mirren and add some consistency. Add in a bit of time working with our coaching team and developing a full understanding with his team mates. I've every faith in him doing so.

I don’t think he has or ever will have the physical attributes to play internationally.

My_Wife_Camille
20-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Pish game, move on

Tobias Funke
20-12-2018, 07:43 AM
I don’t think he has or ever will have the physical attributes to play internationally.

:hilarious Like you are an expert on what it takes to be an international footballer. :rolleyes:

ian cruise
20-12-2018, 07:44 AM

I know it's a bold statement but we've seen others come to us and really develop, SJM was nowhere near the player that he is now when he first arrived, he added a lot of physicality and awareness to his game. Mallan, while not becoming the same player McGinn is, can definitely add to his game and become very important for us.

Also just because we're asking why a player isn't being selected for Scotland doesn't mean they actually are good enough, we do suffer from green tinted glasses at times. Just look at the Boyle vs Forrest debate a few months back :wink:

500miles
20-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Rangers pressed us hard in midfield and had an extra man. Made it hard for Mallan to find a pass or keep hold of the ball, which is what his game is all about.

What I did encourage me though, was that he never stopped demanding the ball. That's a solid indicator of a player that will improve. He'll be working on his physical attributes, and that will help.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 07:45 AM
:hilarious Like you are an expert on what it takes to be an international footballer. :rolleyes:

Eh? Who on this forum is an expert in that field out of interest? Seeing as next to none of us have any experience of football to a professional level will we just close down the forum?

J-C
20-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Lennon is trying to turn Stevie into our new McGeouch and he hasn't got that in him yet, particularly in games like this. He had more space and time against Celtic, he needs to learn to deal with the added pressure, he's a natural number 10 who sits in the hole behind the strikers. Unfortunately that's Hyndman's position but bizarrely Lennon is trying to fit Horgan in there, a player who's position is wide left, so what happens is we now try and play attack minded players in central midfield and they don't have the defensive qualities needed.

This all goes back to Lennon's signing policy in the summer and the fact we never replaced McGinn and McGeouch, we were never going to get like for like but we needed players similar and this didn't happen.

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 07:48 AM

Like you are?

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 07:49 AM
I know it's a bold statement but we've seen others come to us and really develop, SJM was nowhere near the player that he is now when he first arrived, he added a lot of physicality and awareness to his game. Mallan, while not becoming the same player McGinn is, can definitely add to his game and become very important for us.

Also just because we're asking why a player isn't being selected for Scotland doesn't mean they actually are good enough, we do suffer from green tinted glasses at times. Just look at the Boyle vs Forrest debate a few months back :wink:

I don’t doubt he can improve, I just think to play internationally you need a bit mobility which I think is Mallans biggest downfall.

The Boyle V Forrest debate was ridiculous :greengrin

J-C
20-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Eh? Who on this forum is an expert in that field out of interest?

Obviously not you, Mallan is a current regular U21 internationalist, a first pick in that team, you are the one that stated he doesn't and won't have the physical attributes to be an internationalist, so you yourself are talking as if you're an expert, which you are not.

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 07:52 AM
Obviously not you, Mallan is a current regular U21 internationalist, a first pick in that team, you are the one that stated he doesn't and won't have the physical attributes to be an internationalist, so you yourself are talking as if you're an expert, which you are not.

Big difference between u21 football and senior.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 07:53 AM

I would have thought it was quite obvious I meant a full internationalist but maybe I’ll need to spell it out as much as possible for some folk in future

I also said “I don’t think he has the physical attributes”. You know, as in, that’s my opinion? Nobody said anything as if they’re an expert.

Also, he’s an ex under 21 international, not a current one. He’s no longer eligible. Would seem I’m closer to being an expert in international football in that regard than you are.

J-C
20-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Big difference between u21 football and senior.

I don't dispute that but you cannot come on here and say someone will never be an international player due to their physicality and then ask who on here is expert enough to decide. Mallan is still a young guy, doesn't have great pace but has a very good footballing brain, he needs to become more physical so he isn't easily pushed off the ball.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I don't dispute that but you cannot come on here and say someone will never be an international player due to their physicality and then ask who on here is expert enough to decide. Mallan is still a young guy, doesn't have great pace but has a very good footballing brain, he needs to become more physical so he isn't easily pushed off the ball.

I can’t ask that? Why not? I was told I’m not an expert on what it takes to be an international footballer for giving my opinion. I never claimed to be an expert so I asked who on this forum was.

Mallan isn’t going to just gain masses of power or masses of pace at 22/23 years old. In my opinion as a fan of course, not an international football expert, for the avoidance of doubt.

J-C
20-12-2018, 08:04 AM
I would have thought it was quite obvious I meant a full internationalist but maybe I’ll need to spell it out as much as possible for some folk in future

I also said “I don’t think he has the physical attributes”. You know, as in, that’s my opinion? Nobody said anything as if they’re an expert.

Also, he’s an ex under 21 international, not a current one. He’s no longer eligible. Would seem I’m closer to being an expert in international football in that regard than you are.

You don't half talk pish, he has literally just became ineligible because the U21 didn't qualify for the finals next year.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:04 AM
You don't half talk pish, he has literally just became ineligible because the U21 didn't qualify for the finals next year.

So he’s not a current under 21 internationalist like you said then? Yet I’m talking pish :confused: gotcha :aok:

J-C
20-12-2018, 08:09 AM
I can’t ask that? Why not? I was told I’m not an expert on what it takes to be an international footballer for giving my opinion. I never claimed to be an expert so I asked who on this forum was.

Mallan isn’t going to just gain masses of power or masses of pace at 22/23 years old. In my opinion as a fan of course, not an international football expert, for the avoidance of doubt.

You don't gain masses of power as you put it, you train differently to gain extra strength, starting of with the core. McGeouch wasn't the biggest player on the park but he had great balance and excellent strength so wasn't easily pushed off the ball. I'm sure Mallan will be getting the correct training for what he needs but it's up to him to make them work and improve his game, we seen the huge improvement in McGinn in the space of 2 years at ER, hopefully Mallan can do the same but again it's down to the player.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:12 AM
You don't gain masses of power as you put it, you train differently to gain extra strength, starting of with the core. McGeouch wasn't the biggest player on the park but he had great balance and excellent strength so wasn't easily pushed off the ball. I'm sure Mallan will be getting the correct training for what he needs but it's up to him to make them work and improve his game, we seen the huge improvement in McGinn in the space of 2 years at ER, hopefully Mallan can do the same but again it's down to the player.

McGinn is naturally an absolute powerhouse. Of course he’s put in a lot of work aswell however Mallan is naturally not quick at all and also not particularly powerful. At 22 or 23 (can’t remember what he is) you’re not going to be able to train to become much more powerful or quick. Dylan was a hell of a lot quicker than Mallan is and was nimble/agile enough to not need to be powerful. Mallan imo doesn’t have any stand out physical attributes whether that be pace, strength, power, height or agility.

Hopefully Mallan can improve and I’m sure he will improve aspects of his game. I still reckon his physical attributes will always hold him back though.

J-C
20-12-2018, 08:14 AM
So he’s not a current under 21 internationalist like you said then? Yet I’m talking pish :confused: gotcha :aok:

FFS man get a ****ing grip, the U21 team has only failed to qualified for next years Euro U21's which automatically makes him ineligible, until that happened he was, I'm not going to go round the houses with you on this but I can see why Blackpoolhibs was getting frustrated as hell with your posts.

Oh and you never GOT me, I knew he was ineligible, my point being was he was a 1st pick for the U21's recently during their qualifying campaign.

J-C
20-12-2018, 08:16 AM
McGinn is naturally an absolute powerhouse. Of course he’s put in a lot of work aswell however Mallan is naturally not quick at all and also not particularly powerful. At 22 or 23 (can’t remember what he is) you’re not going to be able to train to become much more powerful or quick. Dylan was a hell of a lot quicker than Mallan is and was nimble/agile enough to not need to be powerful. Mallan imo doesn’t have any stand out physical attributes whether that be pace, strength, power, height or agility.

Hopefully Mallan can improve and I’m sure he will improve aspects of his game. I still reckon his physical attributes will always hold him back though.

Ah the expert speaks again and you know this how?

Oh and by the way he was 22 on the 25th March

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:18 AM
FFS man get a ****ing grip, the U21 team has only failed to qualified for next years Euro U21's which automatically makes him ineligible, until that happened he was, I'm not going to go round the houses with you on this but I can see why Blackpoolhibs was getting frustrated as hell with your posts.

Oh and you never GOT me, I knew he was ineligible, my point being was he was a 1st pick for the U21's recently during their qualifying campaign.

I meant gotcha as in “understood”.

I’m not out to trap you here pal or whatever it is you think I’m doing, I gave my opinion and you’ve had a dig at me for it as if I’m claiming I’m some sort of expert (god knows why). You then backed up your post having a dig at me with an incorrect piece of info. That’s all :aok:

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Ah the expert speaks again and you know this how?

Oh and by the way he was 22 on the 25th March

Wtf are you on about? Does anyone that gives an opinion on this site instantly think they’re an expert? 😂

I “know this” (again it was my opinion but I didn’t think I’d have to spell that out every time I say something) because I don’t think I've ever seen a 22 year old player with such a lack of pace and power become quick and powerful.

scotiaf
20-12-2018, 08:22 AM
From scholes to a 40 year old ray Wilkins in 4 days.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Wtf are you on about? Does anyone that gives an opinion on this site instantly think they’re an expert? 😂

I “know this” (again it was my opinion but I didn’t think I’d have to spell that out every time I say something) because I don’t think I've ever seen a 22 year old player with such a lack of pace and power become quick and powerful.

Congratulations Callum did not realise you were an expert on what makes an international footballer as well?

:faf:

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Congratulations Callum did not realise you were an expert on what makes an international footballer as well?

:faf:

I didn’t either. Quite a nice feeling knowing i am though. :greengrin

J-C
20-12-2018, 08:28 AM

I am a fully qualified personal trainer and worked as one for 4 years until I had to get both my hips done and the trade changed. There is absolutely no age limit to improve your fitness, strength, quickness etc, the majority of the time it's a change in ones training. Mallan may never gain loads of speed but you can still work with him to make him more flexible, make his balance better by doing more core work. Mallan also looks to be be a bit chunky, unfortunately that may just be his natural shape but I seem to remember him being more slight when he played at St Mirren, sometimes players fill out as they get older and you have to look at their training regime.

Brightside
20-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Excellent player. Out played last night. Terrific v. Celtic.

makaveli1875
20-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Mallan was piss poor last night but its worth remembering that even the fabled SJM threw in a couple of stinkers , against championship ***** like Dunfermline . He was giving the ball away cheaply just like Mallan , missing easy passes and generally looking like he'd never seen a football before .

Im pretty sure Stevie will bounce back and put in a performance on Saturday .

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:34 AM
I am a fully qualified personal trainer and worked as one for 4 years until I had to get both my hips done and the trade changed. There is absolutely no age limit to improve your fitness, strength, quickness etc, the majority of the time it's a change in ones training. Mallan may never gain loads of speed but you can still work with him to make him more flexible, make his balance better by doing more core work. Mallan also looks to be be a bit chunky, unfortunately that may just be his natural shape but I seem to remember him being more slight when he played at St Mirren, sometimes players fill out as they get older and you have to look at their training regime.

We’ll agree to disagree. Short of maybe getting a bit fitter I fully expect that Mallan will not change much physically throughout his career.

happiehibbie
20-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Mallan and the whole midfield was out played last night Sevco did to us what we did to Celtic. Pressure no time on the ball ETC.

All sportsmen and women perform differently every week. Last night the whole team did not perform and we got a draw, we should have been beat IMO.

I think we need to get some players in we are losing 3 to the Aussies for a couple of months.

Massive game on Saturday hopefully they are on song

But please dont just blame Mallan for last night

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 08:45 AM
So he is unfit chunky does not chase back or pick up his man cannae tackle does it ever cross anyone’s mind that he is simply not good enough?

As others have said the only thing stopping him being dropped is his blistering start to the season where he was employed in a more forward role and a top drawer display versus Celtic

It was clear for all to see last night that other clubs have sussed him out

The Rangers did to us what we did to Celtic on Sunday

Fair play to them they got their tactics spot on!

THERE IS CLASS THERE IS FIRST CLASS AND THEN THERE IS HIBS CLASS!

Centre Hawf
20-12-2018, 08:55 AM
The fact we’re debating if he’ll ever be a Scotland player or not is pointless. We should be debating if he’ll ever be a good Hibs player. Except from Celtic on Sunday he’s been anonymous since Celtic away. Massive improvement required from him for me.

Smartie
20-12-2018, 10:45 AM
I don’t doubt he can improve, I just think to play internationally you need a bit mobility which I think is Mallans biggest downfall.

The Boyle V Forrest debate was ridiculous :greengrin

The Boyle v Forrest debate was not ridiculous.

Forrest has made it seem so by raising his game to a crazy level this season - I've rarely seen a player improve as much as he has. Whilst he was always a danger in games vs us, I always thought he flattered to deceive, blew hot and cold and went missing in Celtic (and Scotland's) biggest games. As Boyle had continued to improve, last season I thought at least having a debate was reasonable.

This year Forrest has blown Boyle out of the water, he's been excellent for both club and country.

Boyle meanwhile has continued to progress himself, making a promising start to his International career and holding his own in a struggling Hibs side.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Just watched the whole game back on BT Sports and apart from two glaring errors where he passes the ball back to The Rangers forwards it actually looks as though he had not a bad game

It just goes to show the difference of watching the game on TV in the comfort of your own home and actually being there :confused:

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 10:55 AM
The Boyle v Forrest debate was not ridiculous.

Forrest has made it seem so by raising his game to a crazy level this season - I've rarely seen a player improve as much as he has. Whilst he was always a danger in games vs us, I always thought he flattered to deceive, blew hot and cold and went missing in Celtic (and Scotland's) biggest games. As Boyle had continued to improve, last season I thought at least having a debate was reasonable.

This year Forrest has blown Boyle out of the water, he's been excellent for both club and country.

Boyle meanwhile has continued to progress himself, making a promising start to his International career and holding his own in a struggling Hibs side.

I’ve always rated Forrest, even before this season. Maybe why I didn’t think there was much debate to be had.

Agree with you re Boyle though, he has really improved massively since he came here.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 10:58 AM
I’ve always rated Forrest, even before this season. Maybe why I didn’t think there was much debate to be had.

Agree with you re Boyle though, he has really improved massively since he came here.

Seems to have gone back the way since being promoted to full international status.

What do you think?

You are the expert :greengrin

theonlywayisup
20-12-2018, 11:13 AM
I'm all for debate and discussion, but really can't be bothered with the constant arguments about certain players. Depending on your point of view they are either rubbish or brilliant, depending on whether you accentuate the positives or the negatives. That view differs from game to game, or even 1st half to 2nd half.

At my work, I do a lot of great things (IMO), I'll do a lot of average things and I'll have a number of occasions that I will reflect and think that I could have done my job better. If I was constantly picked up for the negative things then my performance would probably get worse and worse. When the reality is that I've got a lot to offer.

I get the feeling that on Hibs.net, there must be many who must be 100% perfect in everything that they do as they seem to have some very high expectations. I'm really glad I don't work for them.

Just saying :cb not aimed at anyone in particular

Smartie
20-12-2018, 11:14 AM

I never rated Forrest before. He often looked good enough against us, but he was one of those who I thought looked OK in a good team but probably wouldn't do better than Boyle if he played for us.

You were right though, he has shown this season how good he is. He's one of those few players who give you a feeling of dread every time they get the ball against you.

Heedersnvolleys
20-12-2018, 11:24 AM
We’ll agree to disagree. Short of maybe getting a bit fitter I fully expect that Mallan will not change much physically throughout his career.

If Mallan does not improve physically it will be down to him and his willingness to improve nothing else. For a professional athlete the facilities are there for him at EM to become as fit as he can be which I believe there is plenty of scope for improvement not just a little bit fitter. It will be up to him.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Seems to have gone back the way since being promoted to full international status.

What do you think?

You are the expert :greengrin

In my expert opinion I agree. Don’t ask me to tell you why it’s happened though because I’ve no idea!

SRHibs
20-12-2018, 11:58 AM

I don't think it's a difference of opinion. I'm pretty sure it's objectively wrong to say someone can't significantly change an attribute like power through training.

500miles
20-12-2018, 12:07 PM
I don't think it's a difference of opinion. I'm pretty sure it's objectively wrong to say someone can't significantly change an attribute like power through training.

You're correct. The difficulty is doing it during a busy season, it's a big change of training regime, and can make it difficult to play a high intensity 90 minutes especially when you're on midweek. I see no reason to think that he won't improve, but it'll take patience.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Generally speaking, probably true. While maintaining the correct condition to train and play as a pro footballer as well? I’m not so sure.

How many players can you think of that have went from having a lack of real mobility and power to suddenly being a mobile and/or powerful player, especially at 22 rather than 17/18? I can’t really think of any examples at any level of football. Most players if they’re going to be quick, they’re quick when they break through. Most players if they’re going to be powerful then they’ve got a powerful base to build on when they break through. I don’t see any reason why Mallan would be the one to buck the trend.

Smartie
20-12-2018, 12:11 PM
If Mallan does not improve physically it will be down to him and his willingness to improve nothing else. For a professional athlete the facilities are there for him at EM to become as fit as he can be which I believe there is plenty of scope for improvement not just a little bit fitter. It will be up to him.

I don't think I agree with this.

What do you think he has been doing so far in his career?

Are the facilities at EM likely to blow away the facilities at Championship (at the time) Barnsley? Were the St Mirren facilities that produced John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Lewis Morgan good enough to get them to a level of fitness but not Mallan?

I just think he has a natural fitness level that might restrict him. Obviously there's nothing to stop him being the fittest he can be, but I just wonder if that maximum fitness level possible for him will be a bit less than for most other players? It's a shame, as technically I think he is a fantastic player, but he doesn't strike me as not being dedicated enough. I just think he is one of those unfortunate guys where Gordon Strachan might have actually had a point about when he was talking about genetics.

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 12:12 PM
I don't think I agree with this.

What do you think he has been doing so far in his career?

Are the facilities at EM likely to blow away the facilities at Championship (at the time) Barnsley? Were the St Mirren facilities that produced John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Lewis Morgan good enough to get them to a level of fitness but not Mallan?

I just think he has a natural fitness level that might restrict him. Obviously there's nothing to stop him being the fittest he can be, but I just wonder if that maximum fitness level possible for him will be a bit less than for most other players? It's a shame, as technically I think he is a fantastic player, but he doesn't strike me as not being dedicated enough. I just think he is one of those unfortunate guys where Gordon Strachan might have actually had a point about when he was talking about genetics.

:agree:

Pretty much what I’ve been trying to say (probably poorly) :greengrin

JackHibs
20-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Mallan is much better when playing from deep in the holding role, I thought he had a not bad first half but when Miligan game on he got pushed slightly further forward and never played very well. He is better when he has more time and space to pick a pass which he has the ability to do, and hes shown he can get out of tight situations at times.

Horgan doesn't work as a number 10, his best attribute is crossing. Hyndman is much better a number 10.

danhibees1875
20-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Mallan is much better when playing from deep in the holding role, I thought he had a not bad first half but when Miligan game on he got pushed slightly further forward and never played very well. He is better when he has more time and space to pick a pass which he has the ability to do, and hes shown he can get out of tight situations at times.

Horgan doesn't work as a number 10, his best attribute is crossing. Hyndman is much better a number 10.

I thought Mallan had a poor first half, was sloppy and caught in posession a few times. Rangers done to us what we had done to Celtic/Brown in that regard and were doing a lot of pressing in our half to make sure no one was comfortable on the ball.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Eh? Mallan had not a bad first half?

Horgans best atttibute is crossing?

I take it you did not actually attend the match last night?

JackHibs
20-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Eh? Mallan had not a bad first half?

Horgans best atttibute is crossing?

I take it you did not actually attend the match last night?

Whens Horgan ever created anything by playing through the middle other than his goal v ross county. Hes thrown away great counter attacking chances more than a few times. The only time he has created or assisted is from a wide crossing area, not all of his crosses are pin point but he can whip a good ball in at times.

Don't think anyone other than the goalie, defence and Hyndman had a particularly good game but mallan is definitely better and more effective from deep.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Whens Horgan ever created anything by playing through the middle other than his goal v ross county. Hes thrown away great counter attacking chances more than a few times. The only time he has created or assisted is from a wide crossing area, not all of his crosses are pin point but he can whip a good ball in at times.

Don't think anyone other than the goalie, defence and Hyndman had a particularly good game but mallan is definitely better and more effective from deep.

You answered your own question there with regard to Horgan

I am struggling to remember any pinpoint passes/crosses from him that have led to a goal

He had the perfect opportunity last night breakaway late first half just to knock it to his right to Flo who would have been in on goal but once again he was too greedy

Mallan has had one brilliant game playing at the base of the diamond ( Celtic on Sunday)

I seem to recall in the not too distant past SM scoring six goals for us while employed in a more forward role.

Hyndman floated in and out of the game and was all too often easily knocked off the ball

I take it you did not attend the game?

B.H.F.C
20-12-2018, 01:45 PM

I am struggling to remember any pinpoint passes/crosses from him that have led to a goal

He had the perfect opportunity last night breakaway late first half just to knock it to his right to Flo who would have been in on goal but once again he was too greedy

Mallan has had one brilliant game playing at the base of the diamond ( Celtic on Sunday)

I seem to recall in the not too distant past SM scoring six goals for us while employed in a more forward role.

Hyndman floated in and out of the game and was all too often easily knocked off the ball

Horgan is probably one of our top players for assists this season. Brilliant cross for the winner at Hamilton.

Most of them have probably been from a wide area though.

flash
20-12-2018, 01:48 PM

That's twice you have suggested someone didn't attend the game because they happen to disagree with you.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Horgan is probably one of our top players for assists this season. Brilliant cross for the winner at Hamilton.

Agree! Will give you the winner at Hamilton brilliant execution by young Olly

Any more?

Blaster
20-12-2018, 01:51 PM
I was sure it was Horgan who crossed for the goal at Hamilton

Oops beaten to the point

J-C
20-12-2018, 01:54 PM

He was played through the middle last night for some unknown reason Lennon wants to play him there, he's a wide player from the left and it's where his best football has been played, he had 2 players to his right wide open and he chose to be greedy, play him wide where he can either cross with his left or cut in to his right and he'll be more effective.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 01:55 PM
He was played through the middle last night for some unknown reason Lennon wants to play him there, he's a wide player from the left and it's where his best football has been played, he had 2 players to his right wide open and he chose to be greedy, play him wide where he can either cross with his left or cut in to his right and he'll be more effective.

Agree

B.H.F.C
20-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Agree! Will give you the winner at Hamilton brilliant execution by young Olly

Any more?

Off the top of my head I remember him putting a brilliant ball in for Gray to score against Ross County. One against Dundee that forced an OG a few weeks back. Put one on a plate for Shaw against Killie that he should have scored from but hit the post. He’s had another few assists as well I think.

He’s been in and out the team and not played in his proper position most of the time. He’s the best crosser of a ball from a wide position in our squad. He just never plays out wide, despite being a winger when he signed.

JackHibs
20-12-2018, 02:17 PM

I was at the game for a matter of fact, perspective is a big thing and where you maybe think he is better further forward others will think otherwise. To suggest I wasn't at the game is just a cop out of having a debate, do you think when pundits discuss as game and have different opinions they just come out with 'I take it you didn't attend the game '. It's open to interpretation where you think a best players position is and were all entitled to an opinion.

In terms of mallans goals a lot of them came from dead balls which playing further forward has no bearing on. When he played well in Europe he was the deeper out of mcginn and slivka also.

I don't know what your on about in regards to horgan, you mentioned a situation where he was poor through the middle which is what I said, his best asset is crossing from a wide position

andybev1
20-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Just watched the whole game back on BT Sports and apart from two glaring errors where he passes the ball back to The Rangers forwards it actually looks as though he had not a bad game

It just goes to show the difference of watching the game on TV in the comfort of your own home and actually being there :confused:

I just did the same, but watched on hibs tv and saw a whole different performance from Mallan. Ok, he made allthose loose balls which where very amaturish but his whole game was nowhere as bad as I thought I had seen, watching from the east stand last night.

Sometimes the ref is like that too but never with that muppet Thompson.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 02:54 PM
I was at the game for a matter of fact, perspective is a big thing and where you maybe think he is better further forward others will think otherwise. To suggest I wasn't at the game is just a cop out of having a debate, do you think when pundits discuss as game and have different opinions they just come out with 'I take it you didn't attend the game '. It's open to interpretation where you think a best players position is and were all entitled to an opinion.

In terms of mallans goals a lot of them came from dead balls which playing further forward has no bearing on. When he played well in Europe he was the deeper out of mcginn and slivka also.

I don't know what your on about in regards to horgan, you mentioned a situation where he was poor through the middle which is what I said, his best asset is crossing from a wide position

No cop out from this end you just need to check back the number of times I have responded to your posts
The reason I am asking if you were at the game is because your opinion of the game is totally different and so far removed from my own and other posters on this thread I was merely trying to ascertain if you had actually seen what I had seen?
please read my post on having just watched the game back and how it changes your opinion from actually being there
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think Mallan and Horgan had great games fair enough no one has to agree with your opinion that’s what forums are for 😁

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Off the top of my head I remember him putting a brilliant ball in for Gray to score against Ross County. One against Dundee that forced an OG a few weeks back. Put one on a plate for Shaw against Killie that he should have scored from but hit the post. He’s had another few assists as well I think.

He’s been in and out the team and not played in his proper position most of the time. He’s the best crosser of a ball from a wide position in our squad. He just never plays out wide, despite being a winger when he signed.
Remember the Gray header brilliant!

Tyler Durden
20-12-2018, 03:13 PM

As you’ve pointed out, there have been loads of examples of Horgan creating quality chances. For me his ability is clear to see and a reason that we should persist with him to find some consistency. Better decision making being one aspect but perhaps it’s a confidence thing.

I don’t think it’s a problem to play him as a number 10. There’s no reason he shouldn’t find himself in wide positions when starting in a more central role. We played a flat 4-4-2 with him and Boyle wide against St Mirren and it was horrific so I can understand why Lennon has favoured a narrow midfield since then.

To play Horgan and Boyle wide we’d need to sacrifice Shaw. Might be a good option in the next few games.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2018, 03:21 PM
To play Horgan and Boyle wide we’d need to sacrifice Shaw. Might be a good option in the next few games.

I thought that was the obvious thing to do at half time last night, would have let us match them up and compete a lot better. Wonder if he had a knock or if it was purely tactical reasons he went off.

Famous Fiver
20-12-2018, 03:30 PM
My take on it is that the strips were roughly similar at first glance. Dark coloured jerseys, white shorts and dark coloured socks. At first glance in a split second where we were being harried and looking for an out ball, in my opinion, it was too easy to pick out the wrong player. They obviously picked out Mallan as the danger man and targeted him in numbers, with some success, as reflected by the negative views expressed by some on here.

We suffered more from it because,again in my opinion, Rangers deep defensive formation relied on them pushing the ball into spaces for their players to run on to rather than finding a man directly.

Opinions, eh.

Tornadoes70
20-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Granted Stevie's passing was poor in the first half, however, as an earlier poster stated he kept on scrapping and looking for the ball until the final whistle. We've all seen past Hibs players who when having a poor game go into invisible mode and visibly shrink. He became considerably better in the second half and right up until the end continued to try to push on. I think if improving his passing when teams are pressing as much as the rangers were and overall awareness he'll be a cracking player for us in the seasons ahead.

JackHibs
20-12-2018, 08:24 PM
No cop out from this end you just need to check back the number of times I have responded to your posts
The reason I am asking if you were at the game is because your opinion of the game is totally different and so far removed from my own and other posters on this thread I was merely trying to ascertain if you had actually seen what I had seen?
please read my post on having just watched the game back and how it changes your opinion from actually being there
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think Mallan and Horgan had great games fair enough no one has to agree with your opinion that’s what forums are for 😁

Now I think you need to read my posts... at no point did I say Mallan and Horgan had a great game and definitely not Horgan as he was playing through the middle where he is ineffective.

End of the day that’s your opinion, I don’t have the time to sit and watch back a game over especially not a 0-0

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Now I think you need to read my posts... at no point did I say Mallan and Horgan had a great game and definitely not Horgan as he was playing through the middle where he is ineffective.

End of the day that’s your opinion, I don’t have the time to sit and watch back a game over especially not a 0-0

”I thought he had a not bad first half”

Are you serious?

Watching the game from your vantage point in the East even you should be able to tell or see what everyone else was seeing that Stevie Mallan was having a nightmare first half :greengrin

green with envy
20-12-2018, 09:18 PM

Was it Horgan that crossed the ball for the early goal against Dundee?

Humo
20-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Was it Horgan that crossed the ball for the early goal against Dundee?Yes

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
20-12-2018, 10:06 PM

Horgan was very effective when playing through the middle on Sunday

EH54
20-12-2018, 10:25 PM

You's are only seeing what you's want to see, What did Horgan do on Sunday that was so great? We won the game but not because we were excellent, Celtic were absoloutely rotten. The diamond should make us a bit stronger in the middle of the park, but it can leave us exposed in the wide areas. Celtic never took advantage of it. I though Rangers dominated our midfield which I predicted on here before the match, as our midfield isn't good enough, none of them are, regardless of where in midfield they play. Slivka is the only one that I think is. Could maybe get away with one of Horgan, Hyndman or Mallan but not 3, they're soft as...

J-C
20-12-2018, 10:41 PM

Was he? His job was to nullify Brown in midfield, he did what was asked but Horgan is a wide inside left and we are missing the width either he or Boyle gives.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Was he? His job was to nullify Brown in midfield, he did what was asked but Horgan is a wide inside left and we are missing the width either he or Boyle gives.

If he did what he was asked then you’d have to say he was effective, aye.

I don’t think it’s where he should play long term though. But it’s a totally different game playing Celtic to everyone else. If you don’t stop them first you’re likely to get beaten.

Heisenberg
21-12-2018, 05:38 AM
You's are only seeing what you's want to see, What did Horgan do on Sunday that was so great? We won the game but not because we were excellent, Celtic were absoloutely rotten. The diamond should make us a bit stronger in the middle of the park, but it can leave us exposed in the wide areas. Celtic never took advantage of it. I though Rangers dominated our midfield which I predicted on here before the match, as our midfield isn't good enough, none of them are, regardless of where in midfield they play. Slivka is the only one that I think is. Could maybe get away with one of Horgan, Hyndman or Mallan but not 3, they're soft as...

Horgan nullified Scott Brown. He kept him from dictating the game for 90 minutes and was part of a midfield that hassled them off the ball and made sure they never got a second to even try and expose us in wide areas. Danny Swanson did the same job as Horgan last season and everyone was singing his praises.

Why are some Hibs fans like this? We were excellent on Sunday yet you are desperate to point out we only won because Celtc were *****. What a ridiculously negative viewpoint. I would even say we played better on Sunday against Celtc than we did in our 2-1 win at ER last season against them.

JackHibs
21-12-2018, 08:08 AM
”I thought he had a not bad first half”

Are you serious?

Watching the game from your vantage point in the East even you should be able to tell or see what everyone else was seeing that Stevie Mallan was having a nightmare first half :greengrin

a not bad first half is different from a great game and at no point did I say either had a great game. Did you not say that after watching the game back you didn't think he was that bad?

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2018, 08:24 AM
a not bad first half is different from a great game and at no point did I say either had a great game. Did you not say that after watching the game back you didn't think he was that bad?

Yeah only to highlight the different perceptions you get from the game from watching it on the box but actually being there he was nowhere near as good as you said he was neither was Hyndman or Horgan

We are just going round in circles here Jack different opinions if we all had the same opinion the world would be a boring place but after watching HIBS for fifty years I know when a player is having a stinker and when he is brilliant

Stevie Mallan will know himself he was poor and will no doubt be disappointed

We are going to have to agree to disagree

Going to cop out now by wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :xlol

GGTTH

SRHibs
21-12-2018, 08:30 AM
We are just going round in circles here Jack different opinions if we all had the same opinion the world would be a boring place but after watching HIBS for fifty years I know when a player is having a stinker and when he is brilliant

“Just a difference of opinions, but your opinion is wrong”. Come on man, lol.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2018, 08:38 AM
QUOTE=SRHibs;5637017]“Just a difference of opinions, but your opinion is wrong”. Come on man, lol.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Constantly getting caught in possession giving the ball away misplaced passes getting closed down not tracking back passing the ball back to two opposition forwards failing to win the ball back everything he did to perfection on Sunday :confused:

Do you think in your honest opinion his first half performance was acceptable?

Robbo6-2
21-12-2018, 08:45 AM
He's a quality player, similar to fyvie he can be slightly inconsistent over 90 mins which make people think he's having a bad game.

To be fair on him, he wasn't having a great first half but he never hid. Where as Slivka probably touched the ball 5 times.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2018, 08:52 AM
He's a quality player, similar to fyvie he can be slightly inconsistent over 90 mins which make people think he's having a bad game.

To be fair on him, he wasn't having a great first half but he never hid. Where as Slivka probably touched the ball 5 times.
Agree

blackpoolhibs
21-12-2018, 08:52 AM

Yip that just about sums your whole post up, we played very well, in fact as good as we have done this season.

Perhaps if you watched the game with your eyes open, you would see hoe our game plan worked perfectly, and each player did their jobs well.

We won 2-0 because we played well, and made the champions look average.

J-C
21-12-2018, 10:58 AM
Yip that just about sums your whole post up, we played very well, in fact as good as we have done this season.

Perhaps if you watched the game with your eyes open, you would see hoe our game plan worked perfectly, and each player did their jobs well.

:agree: We played a high press high intensity game not allowing Celtic room or time on the ball, it worked perfectly and we scored 2 good goals, thankfully the defence also played their part. On wednesday it was the other way round, Rangers were in our faces playing with a quick tempo, our players just looked very leggy after sunday and I think this shows we are thin on players to change things around, 3-4 injuries to key players means we are having to look at young Dev players to come in.

MWHIBBIES
21-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Oh yeah, Slivka was hiding right enough :faf:

SRHibs
21-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah, Slivka was hiding right enough :faf:

Apart from him getting stuck in all over the park, and putting 2 players through on goal Slivka did absolutely nothing.

Famous Fiver
21-12-2018, 04:49 PM
All the 'Mallan is useless' critics will have their theory put to the test tomorrow since he is apparently out with a groin injury.

Will be interesting to see how we get on without him.

Robbo6-2
21-12-2018, 06:40 PM
All the 'Mallan is useless' critics will have their theory put to the test tomorrow since he is apparently out with a groin injury.

I'll give it 2 corners and folk will be moaning like ****

BoomtownHibees
21-12-2018, 06:42 PM

Is doing his job not classed as effective?? It is in my eyes

J-C
21-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Is doing his job not classed as effective?? It is in my eyes

I did say he did what was asked but the 2 assists came from a young striker and a rookie left back, both assists in an area I'd rather see Horgan playing

Billy Whizz
21-12-2018, 07:05 PM
The wee break won’t do Mallen any harm. Played so many games so far this season for Hibs and Scotland under 21’s

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2018, 07:27 PM
The wee break won’t do Mallen any harm. Played so many games so far this season for Hibs and Scotland under 21’s

:aok:

Will get a break in January :dunno:

BoomtownHibees
21-12-2018, 07:53 PM
I did say he did what was asked but the 2 assists came from a young striker and a rookie left back, both assists in an area I'd rather see Horgan playing

It was the “Was he” comment that I was responding to. He was very effective in the job he was given

jacomo
21-12-2018, 08:33 PM

Unlikely to do Hibs much good though.

Seems like a ludicrous amount of injuries this season.

CMurdoch
21-12-2018, 08:46 PM

Mallan went to ground in the 2nd half not long after all the subs had been used.
Was rubbing and stretching the area of his groin area (in a non dodgy way) after getting up.
Like Whittaker it looks like he would have wanted to come off through injury but had to tough it out.

EH54
21-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Im not disputing that we worked hard. But we weren't as good as folk made out, for me celtic looked leggy, lethargic, and had nothing upfront, that edouard has been rotten for weeks, maybe even is rotten, that one performance doesn't make us a good side, a crap hearts beat them 4-0 last season by working hard and pressing them. The real hibs of this season was the hibs that turned up on Wednesday. And I predicted we would play like that on Wednesday. Our midfield is up there with the softest in the league. And we have strikers not performing well enough consistently. And a defence that until recently has been unsettled all season. Things can't get any worse though. I expect another tough game tomorrow against a well organised side that we will struggle to break down. And when you look at the difference in budget and how good we were last season and where they were the blame still lies firmly at the managers door. January is massive for us and Lennon.

J-C
21-12-2018, 08:53 PM
It was the “Was he” comment that I was responding to. He was very effective in the job he was given

I don't want to see him putting the shackles on anyone, I want to see him attacking full backs and either making or scoring goals, all a difference of opinion.

B.H.F.C
21-12-2018, 09:02 PM
I don't want to see him putting the shackles on anyone, I want to see him attacking full backs and either making or scoring goals, all a difference of opinion.

If a player, or players, attacking abilities are sacrificed to benefit the team and it results in a win against Celtic surely that’s worth it though?

Tornadoes70
21-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Im not disputing that we worked hard. But we weren't as good as folk made out, for me celtic looked leggy, lethargic, and had nothing upfront, that edouard has been rotten for weeks, maybe even is rotten, that one performance doesn't make us a good side, a crap hearts beat them 4-0 last season by working hard and pressing them. The real hibs of this season was the hibs that turned up on Wednesday. And I predicted we would play like that on Wednesday. Our midfield is up there with the softest in the league. And we have strikers not performing well enough consistently. And a defence that until recently has been unsettled all season. Things can't get any worse though. I expect another tough game tomorrow against a well organised side that we will struggle to break down. And when you look at the difference in budget and how good we were last season and where they were the blame still lies firmly at the managers door. January is massive for us and Lennon.

As bad as Celtic may have been which I disagree with the Rangers were very good and we managed to collect 4 out of 6 points. The Rangers were very good and we still could have won the match if Olly had managed to convert two not so easy chances and if Daryl had only passed out the ball.

How anyone can grumble about 4 points out of 6 collected from the old firm is in my opinion just a wee bit over the top. But it happens my old man was the same he'd be raging for days afterwards if we didn't win outright every game no matter the opposition.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

EH54
21-12-2018, 09:36 PM
As bad as Celtic may have been which I disagree with the Rangers were very good and we managed to collect 4 out of 6 points. The Rangers were very good and we still could have won the match if Olly had managed to convert two not so easy chances and if Daryl had only passed out the ball.

How anyone can grumble about 4 points out of 6 collected from the old firm is in my opinion just a wee bit over the top. But it happens my old man was the same he'd be raging for days afterwards if we didn't win outright every game no matter the opposition.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Think it's worse that we set such high standards last season, and this season it's like weve went about 3 seasons backwards. Even the team we had in our first season in the championship was better than what we've got just now. Just expected so much more, I know losing mcginn and Mcgeough was going to be tough but never expected it to be as bad as this. Manager to blame for me, think he has been backed more this season than in previous seasons just a mixture of his recruitment and the bad luck of our injury's have made it a bit of a downer. Win tomorrow and the derby, I'm writing ibrox of as a free hit, but win they 2 games we can go into the new year in a different light with the right signings.

J-C
21-12-2018, 10:22 PM
If a player, or players, attacking abilities are sacrificed to benefit the team and it results in a win against Celtic surely that’s worth it though?

We were good all over the park, I wouldn't say Horgan was brilliant or even very good on Sunday but a slow just back from injury Brown is a lot easier to play against than a fit dominating Brown.

Lennon seems to want to try and turn Horgan into a no.10, he hasn't got it in his locker in my opinion, perfect example was on wednesday he drove through the middle and had both Kamberi and Shaw to his right in loads of space, didn't look up and took a weak shot from 20yds out, opportunity wasted. This isn't the only time that has happened as he doesn't always play with his head up, out wide is where he's most natural, get him out on the left and get him creating chances again.

B.H.F.C
21-12-2018, 10:34 PM
We were good all over the park, I wouldn't say Horgan was brilliant or even very good on Sunday but a slow just back from injury Brown is a lot easier to play against than a fit dominating Brown.

Lennon seems to want to try and turn Horgan into a no.10, he hasn't got it in his locker in my opinion, perfect example was on wednesday he drove through the middle and had both Kamberi and Shaw to his right in loads of space, didn't look up and took a weak shot from 20yds out, opportunity wasted. This isn't the only time that has happened as he doesn't always play with his head up, out wide is where he's most natural, get him out on the left and get him creating chances again.

I agree about him playing wide longer term. But I don’t get any criticism from the Celtic game. He was asked to do a job and did it very well. Talking about Brown not being fit, I’ve read about Celtic being poor, just does our players a disservice IMO.

jacomo
21-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Think it's worse that we set such high standards last season, and this season it's like weve went about 3 seasons backwards. Even the team we had in our first season in the championship was better than what we've got just now. Just expected so much more, I know losing mcginn and Mcgeough was going to be tough but never expected it to be as bad as this. Manager to blame for me, think he has been backed more this season than in previous seasons just a mixture of his recruitment and the bad luck of our injury's have made it a bit of a downer. Win tomorrow and the derby, I'm writing ibrox of as a free hit, but win they 2 games we can go into the new year in a different light with the right signings.

Sorry but just no. We are back in the top League, playing better teams. No way have we gone back 3 seasons.

Yes it’s proved tough to replace last season’s midfield and we been through a poor run. But you’ve got to see the bigger picture - we are still within sight of the top of the table and just have to focus on getting as many points as we can.

Injuries and loss of form aren’t helping either.

eastterrace
22-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Sorry but just no. We are back in the top League, playing better teams. No way have we gone back 3 seasons.

Yes it’s proved tough to replace last season’s midfield and we been through a poor run. But you’ve got to see the bigger picture - we are still within sight of the top of the table and just have to focus on getting as many points as we can.

Injuries and loss of form aren’t helping either.

Some people talk utter mince, saying we have gone back three seasons . We have lost one home game in a year beat Celtic twice at home and are still up there at the top end of the league as it’s pretty tight. Lost our midfield in the summer . I would say we have done pretty good considering. So your spot on mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EH54
22-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Some people talk utter mince, saying we have gone back three seasons . We have lost one home game in a year beat Celtic twice at home and are still up there at the top end of the league as it’s pretty tight. Lost our midfield in the summer . I would say we have done pretty good considering. So your spot on mate.

The hibs team of 3 seasons ago would be higher than where we are in the league right now for me, that's what I'm basing my comparison on. 3 seasons ago is the team that won the cup btw, 8th in the table at this stage is unacceptable, doesn't matter how you try and look at it. I expect and demand better.

makaveli1875
22-12-2018, 09:55 AM
how long is Mallan out for ?

Blaster
22-12-2018, 10:02 AM
The hibs team of 3 seasons ago would be higher than where we are in the league right now for me, that's what I'm basing my comparison on. 3 seasons ago is the team that won the cup btw, 8th in the table at this stage is unacceptable, doesn't matter how you try and look at it. I expect and demand better.

Didn’t realise the season was finished. You are correct, finishing 8th is shocking

Oh it’s not finished yet. And only 6 points behind where we finished in the league last season. Let’s just see where we are come May time. Stay in touching distance for now, injured players back and 3 good signings in January and we’ll not be far away

Eyrie
22-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Alternatively we're as close to being top (+9 points, +20 goals) as we are to being ninth (-9 points, -21 goals).

Amazing what you can do with numbers.

EH54
22-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Didn’t realise the season was finished. You are correct, finishing 8th is shocking

Oh it’s not finished yet. And only 6 points behind where we finished in the league last season. Let’s just see where we are come May time. Stay in touching distance for now, injured players back and 3 good signings in January and we’ll not be far away

Agreed we aren't far away, but I'm basing it on the here and now. We've just had a whole summer to prepare for the season, we can't just keep starting the season in January. Let's just hope we have a good January window.

MWHIBBIES
22-12-2018, 10:16 AM
The hibs team of 3 seasons ago would be higher than where we are in the league right now for me, that's what I'm basing my comparison on. 3 seasons ago is the team that won the cup btw, 8th in the table at this stage is unacceptable, doesn't matter how you try and look at it. I expect and demand better.Demand all you want pal, makes no difference :faf: I'm sure the club are gutted they aren't meeting your demands.

We could be 4th/5th by the end of this week. Wouldn't be a bad first half at all considering our injury problems.

EH54
22-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Demand all you want pal, makes no difference :faf: I'm sure the club are gutted they aren't meeting your demands.

We could be 4th/5th by the end of this week. Wouldn't be a bad first half at all considering our injury problems.

Amazing what a week can do in football eh.

18Craig75
22-12-2018, 10:19 AM
We’re only three points worse off than we were at this stage last season I believe, having played a game less.

Pretty remarkable given the players we lost and the fact it’s now Christmas and we haven’t had our first 11 on the pitch together so far this season due to injuries.

eastterrace
22-12-2018, 10:40 AM

The team three years ago got horsed 3-0 at home from Morton and got beat from Alloa and Dumbarton.

Heisenberg
22-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Agreed we aren't far away, but I'm basing it on the here and now. We've just had a whole summer to prepare for the season, we can't just keep starting the season in January. Let's just hope we have a good January window.

Well as a poster above says, the here and now shows we are only three points worse off from where we were last season at this stage. Difference is we lost three of our best players in the summer and have had a raft of injuries this season.

The team of three seasons ago struggled in the championship ffs!

The Leith Dutch
22-12-2018, 10:55 AM

"Unacceptable".
"Demanding" better.

Why not just stick to fact based debate instead of hyperbole and spoilt child toys out the pram crap?

I'm heartily sick of the entitlement on here.
The stuff about budget isn't as relevant as some make out.
Yes we have the 4th(?) largest in the league but that gap isn't the kind remotely equates to definite success. It's a slight advantage.

wookie70
22-12-2018, 10:59 AM
We’re only three points worse off than we were at this stage last season I believe, having played a game less.

Pretty remarkable given the players we lost and the fact it’s now Christmas and we haven’t had our first 11 on the pitch together so far this season due to injuries.

Not sure anyone knows what that first 11 is but that has as much to do with injuries as the unbalanced and short in some areas squad that has been built up.

We never started last season all that well and needed the three January signings to come in and gel for us to finish the season so strongly. Lots to still play for and the last three games see us looking up the table. That is a good achievement as this month was always going to have a big impact on where we finish. If we can get into the top 6 for the split and bring in a couple of players to the squad to make it look like we have quality and cover then it will be a decent transitional season and Lennon will have done well after such high profile departures.

Heisenberg
29-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Clearly not good enough to play in the position that he’s being asked to. Easily one of the worst performances I’ve seen in the last few years.

hibsbollah
29-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Awful performance.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2018, 09:20 PM
I really don't like singling out individuals for criticism but it's fairly clear that he's really not good enough.

He has an obvious talent for hitting a good free kick and a long range effort from time to time but his all round play is a long way short of what is required from a club that should be finishing top 4 in the Premiership.

500miles
29-12-2018, 09:26 PM
Mallan will improve, but he needs to work on generating power when he pushes off. It CAN be trained.

JimboHibs
I really don't like singling out individuals for criticism but it's fairly clear that he's really not good enough.

He has an obvious talent for hitting a good free kick and a long range effort from time to time but his all round play is a long way short of what is required from a club that should be finishing top 4 in the Premiership.

You dont half spout some pish,away and have a look over the last 30 years and come back and tell me why we should be finishing in the top 4.

cleanyman
A woeful player.

Punt him in January. He's slower than my grandfather.

JohnM1875
29-12-2018, 09:28 PM
So weird to compare his first 10 or so games to now. He was so bad tonight. Can't believe the boy got 90 minutes.

calumhibee1
29-12-2018, 09:30 PM
You dont half spout some pish,away and have a look over the last 30 years and come back and tell me why we should be finishing in the top 4.

I don’t know what our average position is but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it 6th or 7th. So do you think that’s where we should be content finishing?

Sir David Gray
29-12-2018, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Considering we have the fifth biggest budget in the country and have had a team that was good enough to finish fourth just seven months ago, why should we be happy with anything less?

J-C
29-12-2018, 09:38 PM

I don't like singling out individuals but on this occasion I will. :aok:

we are hibs
29-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Terrible argument. So because we have been pish in the past we should accept it now and in the future? No thanks. At the minute this all feels like history repeating itself. A good side dismantled and replaced with inferior players.we have been here before.

we are hibs
29-12-2018, 09:46 PM
He's a complete poser in the middle of the park. Stands about wanting to spray these 40 yard passes and look all neat and tidy but as soon as someone with a bit physicality comes along he *****s it. Ludacrious he is constantly kept on the park for his "set pieces".

noz
29-12-2018, 09:47 PM
he was rank tinight, not the type for a derby. No aggression. At the start of the season I was prepared to forgive the fact as he was potentially good for a goal but he should’ve been taken off today, not Horgan - at least he was making an effort!

Captain Trips
29-12-2018, 09:48 PM
He is like the guy you bring on to kick a conversion.

JimboHibs
29-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Terrible argument. So because we have been pish in the past we should accept it now and in the future? No thanks. At the minute this all feels like history repeating itself. A good side dismantled and replaced with inferior players.we have been here before.

You answered your own question 'we have been here before' ... so tell me why should be be finishing in the top 4 ? Our best player will be gone soon,you dont have to like it but its what we do.

we are hibs
29-12-2018, 10:29 PM
You answered your own question 'we have been here before' ... so tell me why should be be finishing in the top 4 ? Our best player will be gone soon,you dont have to like it but its what we do.

Shouldn't let the past define us. Record crowds and a chance to push the club forward. But you think we should just accept this because "It's what hibs do"? We should be finishing in the top 4 because we are in the top 4 biggest clubs in Scotland.

JimboHibs
29-12-2018, 10:36 PM
Shouldn't let the past define us. Record crowds and a chance to push the club forward. But you think we should just accept this because "It's what hibs do"? We should be finishing in the top 4 because we are in the top 4 biggest clubs in Scotland.

And on that theory we should never have been relegated because were in the top 4 biggest clubs in Scotland.

Sir David Gray
29-12-2018, 10:38 PM

We are more than half way through the season and are sitting behind Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Livingston. Our budget is possibly larger than the budget of these three clubs combined. We should be capable of signing players who are able to get us above these sides.

Kilmarnock in particular are miles better than us this season.

calumhibee1
29-12-2018, 10:40 PM
And on that theory we should never have been relegated because were in the top 4 biggest clubs in Scotland.

We deserved to be relegated. It should never have happened though.

we are hibs
29-12-2018, 10:41 PM

We shouldn't have been relegated. It was a farce and an embarrassment that we were.

Coco Bryce
29-12-2018, 10:43 PM
How he never got hooked tonight I'll never know.

He was honking again. Brings nothing to the team.

Jones28
29-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Even his much lauded set pieces were utterly ***** tonight. I was desperate for him to do something special but teams have worked him out.