PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker

makaveli1875
16-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Old Whitty gets some stick ,wage thief .Legs are gone .. all that **** . i thought he was excellent today and his legs looked just fine , he was still running hard into the dying seconds

hibee_girl
16-12-2018, 02:47 PM
He was great today :agree: the first goal came from him doing well

hibsbollah
16-12-2018, 02:50 PM
I was really worried prematch because he's looked better at defensive mid recently, but that piece of skill and vision to start the move for the first goal was sublime, Cafu reborn :greengrin He was a bit sloppy with his passing at times but overall contributed well to a brilliant team performance.

Porteous was the stand out.

Weegreenman
16-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Old Whitty gets some stick ,wage thief .Legs are gone .. all that **** . i thought he was excellent today and his legs looked just fine , he was still running hard into the dying seconds

A few slack passes in the first first half but other than that he had a very good game. Stopped Celtic getting the ball into the box countless times and had a sublime touch in the build up to the first goal. :aok:

ChilliEater
16-12-2018, 02:55 PM
I thought he gave it away cheaply a couple of times in the first half, but had a good game overall.

Think Horgan is another who deserves a lot of credit today - not so much what he did with the ball, but the defensive number 10 role he played on Scott Brown really helped to stop them bringing the ball out from the back effectively

1van Sprou7e
16-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Excellent performance today

hibsbollah
16-12-2018, 02:57 PM
I thought he gave it away cheaply a couple of times in the first half, but had a good game overall.

Think Horgan is another who deserves a lot of credit today - not so much what he did with the ball, but the defensive number 10 role he played on Scott Brown really helped to stop them bringing the ball out from the back effectively

:agree:Add Mallan to that, who has had his detractors but showed total commitment today, both with and without the ball.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Dont think Whittaker done badly today but wouldn’t go as far as excellent. A couple of awful pieces of distribution and still looks very slow. Was solid enough imo, wouldn’t go much further than that.

Crab apple
16-12-2018, 04:06 PM

He surprised me. He was good today.

wookie70
16-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Less crosses came in from his side than the left from memory. I thought all the defender looked better simply because we had a shape and the midfield got tackles in and tracked runners.

hibbysam
16-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Dont think Whittaker done badly today but wouldn’t go as far as excellent. A couple of awful pieces of distribution and still looks very slow. Was solid enough imo, wouldn’t go much further than that.

He made two bad passes, other than that he was outstanding. Hayes came on and barely got a kick.

davhibby
16-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Posted in the team news thread earlier about his record v celtic since coming back. 4 games unbeaten with him starting against Celtic now, he seems to pull out a performance against them

Ozyhibby
16-12-2018, 04:13 PM
He coped well until Hayes came on and then got skinned a couple of times but overall pass marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 04:13 PM
He made two bad passes, other than that he was outstanding. Hayes came on and barely got a kick.

Don’t get me wrong, he done well. I’d have gave him a 7/10. Wouldn’t go as far as excellent but still a good performance.

Hayes btw is absolutely rotten. Irrelevant to Whittaker’s performance though, more just an observation.

heretoday
16-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Whittaker owes us a few good performances!

allmodcons
16-12-2018, 04:19 PM

Have you any idea how begrudging you sound?

Keith_M
16-12-2018, 04:19 PM
He coped well until Hayes came on and then got skinned a couple of times but overall pass marks.

That's pretty much how I saw it

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Well done Steven, part of a team today that all deserve a :top marks

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Have you any idea how begrudging you sound?

:greengrin

I realise that after reading the post you quoted. I posted again just a couple above yours and it hopefully doesn’t sound as bad :aok:

allmodcons
16-12-2018, 04:25 PM
:greengrin

I realise that after reading the post you quoted. I posted again just a couple above yours and it hopefully doesn’t sound as bad :aok:

No worries. I just think we should enjoy what was an excellent 'team' performance today and not look to nitpick when we've just beaten the champions.

SirDavidsNapper
16-12-2018, 04:29 PM
The first goal was fantastic at any level of football. Whittaker was fantastic in build up.

H18S NX
Apart from a couple of passes,i thought he stood up well,as did the whole team.

Billy Whizz
If he just keeps it simple he does just fine

Smartie
He was part of an excellent team performance and can be pleased with his contribution.

Celtic's tactics did surprise me though - if I had players like Forrest, Sinclair, Lewis Morgan, Mikey Johnston and Hayes at my disposal I'd have been going all-out to run at him and make life as uncomfortable as possible.

Izaguirre got very little from him, and Celtic seemed hell-bent on marking their own best players out of the game by playing them centrally.

Whittaker did make a few sloppy passes, which was unusual, but his play out of the corner to start the move for our goal was superb, and he put in a couple of excellent balls at the other end too.

AK86
16-12-2018, 04:37 PM
IT was a totally professional performance from him today. He is such an important squad player for us. He appears to one of they players , who for seem reason , the fans will jump on every mistake he makes . All players ( at the level we are paying) make mistakes every game , it's how you recover from them that's the difference. Whittaker always stays calm and composed, dosent get carried away with what's going on around him . Today he stuck to his task , and never looked troubled .
For example, he is ten times the player James mcpake ever was , but some would let you think Mcpake was some sort of colossus , when in truth, he sold the jerseys more times than Whittaker ever has .

WhileTheChief..
16-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Every player in every team in the land will misplace at least 2 passes in a game.

Do we we really need to highlight these today?

Pretty sure Stevenson did as well. And Porteous. And Efe. And....

Ozyhibby
16-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Every player in every team in the land will misplace at least 2 passes in a game.

Do we we really need to highlight these today?

Pretty sure Stevenson did as well. And Porteous. And Efe. And....

That’s a fair point. It’s not what he does with the ball that Whittaker has a problem with. A couple of misplaced passes early on does not make it a bad performance.
He played ok today because he stayed close to his man and marked properly. He didn’t let his concentration stray and wasn’t passive when they were on the ball.
Credit where credit is due, today is a good day for Whittaker.

CLASS OF 72 -73
16-12-2018, 04:56 PM
For the goal great but need to analyse guys he had some really slack passes and was certainly not excellent. We cloud performances when we win against the top 4.

Allant1981
16-12-2018, 04:58 PM
For the goal great but need to analyse guys he had some really slack passes and was certainly not excellent. We cloud performances when we win against the top 4.

No we don't, he had a good game and deserves some credit for it

Vault Boy
16-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Pure class today. Kept his winger quiet and was composed on the ball. Well done Whitts.

Sammy7nil
16-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Whittaker owes us a few good performances!

If you want to go down that root there are plenty on here and in the stands owe him their support. By the way imho he owes is nothing he has been great for Hibs over both spells

Sir David Gray
16-12-2018, 05:57 PM
I thought he did very well today. Anyone claiming otherwise either didn't watch the game or has a personal vendetta against Steven Whittaker.

CLASS OF 72 -73
16-12-2018, 06:25 PM
No we don't, he had a good game and deserves some credit for it
Bull

Famous Fiver
16-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Whittaker owes us??? Whittaker owes us?? WTF?

He helped us win the League Cup, remember. A true Hibby.

Grow up or get back to Gorgie.

Frazerbob
16-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Whitts owes us **** all. Great game today and will go down in history as a cup winner who we made some cash from and who served us with distinction in 2 spells.

skipster7
16-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Thought he was pretty solid apart from a couple of really slack passes. Adds a bit height , strength and composure as hes very good on the ball. I noticed he went straight up the tunnel at the end when the team were clapping the fans.

Hiber-nation
16-12-2018, 07:50 PM
His part in the opening goal was absolutely brilliant.

superfurryhibby
16-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Very well played by Whittaker. Showed your experience and quality today.

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Best German has played since his return. He just didn’t stop today 😉👍

Allant1981
16-12-2018, 09:16 PM
Bull

Well thought out reply

Onion
16-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Outstanding today. Well done, Whitty.

we are hibs
19-12-2018, 10:26 PM
???

Frazerbob
19-12-2018, 10:27 PM
???

?

GreenNWhiteArmy
19-12-2018, 10:28 PM
2 games in 4 days, 2 more than decent performances

Well done whitty

Lago
19-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Well done whitty
Totally agree

hibee_girl
19-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Well done whitty

:agree:

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 10:30 PM

Well done whitty

I’d call it an honest performance but at times his lack of pace and awareness was exposed badly. The only thing in his defence tonight was how awful our midfield were at keeping possession and closing down space.

Bishop Hibee
He played really well tonight as did the rest of the back 4 and Bogdan.

SMAXXA

Well done whitty

Thought he was poor tonight good on Sunday

stoneyburn hibs
19-12-2018, 10:31 PM
???

Pass marks for tonight imo. He performed better on Sunday but was still ok tonight. The boo boys chosen target.

easty
19-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Yep.

cabbage_88
19-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Some good and bad stuff from Whitty tonight but overall that's 2 solid games in a row that not many would have expected. Fair play to him.

hibee_girl
19-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Think he had a harder game tonight as he wasn’t getting a lot of support/help from the midfield.

B.H.F.C
19-12-2018, 10:35 PM
I thought he coped ok given the way the two teams were set up. He was pretty exposed a lot of the time.

SMAXXA
19-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Think he had a harder game tonight as he wasn’t getting a lot of support/help from the midfield.

I agree with your point thought the midfield were poor created little other than a few counters and sat of them far to much. We pressed Celtic to death and got a lot of joy on Sunday which maybe took a lot out the players.

Mallan needs a kick up the arse let’s players run off him doesn’t track runners a number of times tonight.

we are hibs
19-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Can't believe what I'm seeing. He was awful. He can't defend for ****

CMurdoch
19-12-2018, 10:38 PM
I think he is injured (groin or foot).
The last 20 minutes he really struggled and didn't want the ball.
We had already made our 3 substitutions so he had to muddle through.
The price was he was made to look bad.
Needless to say some idiot behind me was shouting at him that he was lazy.

Made it especially tough on the team given Mallan was playing so badly.

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 10:40 PM
I agree with your point thought the midfield were poor created little other than a few counters and sat of them far to much. We pressed Celtic to death and got a lot of joy on Sunday which maybe took a lot out the players.

Mallan needs a kick up the arse let’s players run off him doesn’t track runners a number of times tonight.

He was woeful, possession continually lost and even when under no pressure conspired to allow The Rangers to press and win it back due to dithering.

His best has come when we had the likes of SJM doing to dirty work however, so in SM's defence, he maybe needs that kind of player of high energy around him so he can concentrate on playing further up the pitch.

Tonight though I agree, he'd be getting a rollicking - as would Hyndman for that matter.

BoomtownHibees
19-12-2018, 10:41 PM
2 nutmegs were quality

we are hibs
19-12-2018, 10:41 PM
I think he is injured (groin or foot).
The last 20 minutes he really struggled and didn't want the ball.
We had already made our 3 substitutions so he had to muddle through.
The price was he was made to look bad.
Needless to say some idiot behind me was shouting at him that he was lazy.

Made it especially tough on the team given Mallan was playing so badly.

That's been the excuse since he signed. He's been constantly injured. We had absolutely no width down the right hand side

Austinho
19-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Some incredible touches near the end mind you, same as against Celtic.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 10:43 PM
Not great tonight IMO. Not an awful performance but certainly not a good one.

overdrive
19-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Is ageee with that. Other than the 5 min spell in the second half when he was taking the piss out of the The Rangers players at will, the rest of the time he was getting caught in possession, playing slack passes and getting seriously caught for pace.

CMac1988
19-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Thought he was poor and was competing with Mallan for slowest player on the park. Both constantly caught in possession leaving us exposed on the counter.

Those two megs were a joy though as was his contribution in the goal on Sunday.

Midfield returned to their normal selves for the most part and I agree there are times when he wasn't given many options. Stevenson and Horgan had better luck that Whittaker and Hyndman but ultimately they couldn't get beyond the defence either.

theonlywayisup
19-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Can't believe what I'm seeing. He was awful. He can't defend for ****

Rubbish. For most of the first half you could see that Whittaker had very little protection. He had both the left winger and left back to deal with. Slivka offered very little protection, but was able to support Whittaker who held up the winger until Slivka came over to help.

Absolute rubbish to write that he can't defend.

Smartie
19-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Whitty was OK tonight and excellent on Sunday.

Tonight would have been a difficult game for any FB - little protection from midfield and a quick, fit team pressing all over the park against you.

Under those circumstances an OK performance is more than good enough, just as a draw was a decent outcome for us tonight.

Bostonhibby
19-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Just finished watching a recording of it. Another decent performance from Whittaker. Maybe he's coming onto a game.

No idea what happened to the Mallan that did so well against celtc.

Morelos-there is no other club in the world where this creature fits in better.

Overall very happy. Onwards and upwards Hibs.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
19-12-2018, 10:59 PM
That's been the excuse since he signed. He's been constantly injured. We had absolutely no width down the right hand side

No width when we played a diamond. Imagine that.

If Whittaker has pushed away up the pitch and they got in behind then you’d have just moaned about that as well.

No sure that Grezda who was his direct opponent did too much to be honest.

theonlywayisup
19-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Whitty was OK tonight and excellent on Sunday.

Tonight would have been a difficult game for any FB - little protection from midfield and a quick, fit team pressing all over the park against you.

Under those circumstances an OK performance is more than good enough, just as a draw was a decent outcome for us tonight.

100% agree

JohnM1875
19-12-2018, 11:03 PM
Actually feel quite sorry for the guy. He's clearly done at this level and has zero pace. But that doesn't stop him giving his all, which is all he can do. Unfortunately it just isn't good enough any more.

Hopefully SDG is back ASAP

superfurryhibby
19-12-2018, 11:08 PM
No width when we played a diamond. Imagine that.

If Whittaker has pushed away up the pitch and they got in behind then you’d have just moaned about that as well.

No sure that Grezda who was his direct opponent did too much to be honest.

Yep, I was surprised we didn’t try and counter the way the Huns played. We were very narrow and they played down the wings. A couple of slack passes again from Whits, but in his defence, he does try and create something rather than just lump it. Nothing much in front him and very little support defensively either, he did fine tonight.

CraigHibee
19-12-2018, 11:14 PM
i'm happy with a point, think we were lucky at times though, definitely need another experienced striker upfront though as the chances we did have we should have buried

we are hibs
19-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Rubbish. For most of the first half you could see that Whittaker had very little protection. He had both the left winger and left back to deal with. Slivka offered very little protection, but was able to support Whittaker who held up the winger until Slivka came over to help.

Absolute rubbish to write that he can't defend.

Well I mean it's not. He either dives in and is beaten or backs off and let's people into the box then doesn't tackle. He's a poor defender. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team and the only reason that he is because Gray and mavrias are out. I can't believe what people say about him. Clearly watching a different player to me.

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Did a couple of daft things that you do not expect from a player of his great experience but largely got away with it you can tell his legs are going and his great strength as a young man was his speed and his speed of recovery : pass marks

SeanWilson
19-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Had the keeper not been changed first half, he'd have been off with 25 to go... Blowing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
19-12-2018, 11:34 PM
He was very poor tonight but nowhere near the worst.
His agility is non existent these days and was rinsed a few times. Luckily new Rangers couldn’t capitalise.
Stuck up for him on Sunday but tonight was back to normal.

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 11:48 PM
He was very poor tonight but nowhere near the worst.
His agility is non existent these days and was rinsed a few times. Luckily new Rangers couldn’t capitalise.
Stuck up for him on Sunday but tonight was back to normal.

He was exposed Ozy and I described his showing tonight as 'honest' as you'd expect from him anyway - in fact, he made a couple of tidy interceptions late second half which I've just seen back, so in truth, he defended right to the end.

Looking back, tell you what though, we didn't exploit MacAuley nearly enough - he looked like he was towing a caravan first half at one point when we broke. Made Whitty look like Usain Bolt :greengrin

zitelli62
19-12-2018, 11:58 PM
Give the guy a break he knows if we have a fully fit squad he probably won't play but does his best when he does had a couple of good headers at corners and tries his best every team needs boo boys and he is ours let's just get behind every player.

Stuart93
20-12-2018, 12:45 AM
Just finished watching a recording of it. Another decent performance from Whittaker. Maybe he's coming onto a game.

No idea what happened to the Mallan that did so well against celtc.

Morelos-there is no other club in the world where this creature fits in better.

Overall very happy. Onwards and upwards Hibs.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Very happy? Na not for me. Their away form this season has been ***** and they absolutely battered us. Overall you’ll take a point but I’m far from happy after our performance never mind very happy

CMurdoch
20-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Had the keeper not been changed first half, he'd have been off with 25 to go... Blowing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sean, I sit in the East and I thought he was injured for the last 20 minutes but as we had made all substitutions had to tough it out.
Wasn't sure if it was a groin or a foot injury but he really didn't want the ball. It seems inconceivable that he was right out of energy.

Does anyone else who sits in the East have an opinion on this?

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2018, 02:40 AM
Whittaker had a bitty game - did okay here and there, but it is glaringly obvious he lacks the pace he once had and so he finds himself struggling to get to where his mind is telling him to go.

Pace is also something that Darren McGregor (one of my all-time heroes) and Milligan both lack, sadly.

I just can't see any of these 3 being with us next season.

neil7908
20-12-2018, 06:59 AM
He's a good option to have as can cover a number of positions but he's lost that yard of pace and it shows.

Happy to have him around the squad and he's been part of a defence that's kept 2 clean sheets against the highest spenders in the league but keen to get Gray back ASAP. Although having said that he's not far in years behind Whittaker

neil7908
20-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Sean, I sit in the East and I thought he was injured for the last 20 minutes but as we had made all substitutions had to tough it out.
Wasn't sure if it was a groin or a foot injury but he really didn't want the ball. It seems inconceivable that he was right out of energy.

Wasn't at the game but noticed on TV that he just wasn't supporting the attack at all for a good chunk of the second half. Don't know if he was shattered, injured or told to stay back but there was a big gap going forward that side of the pitch.

Allant1981
20-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Actually feel quite sorry for the guy. He's clearly done at this level and has zero pace. But that doesn't stop him giving his all, which is all he can do. Unfortunately it just isn't good enough any more.

Hopefully SDG is back ASAP

Almost everything about that statement is just rubbish

JimBHibees
20-12-2018, 07:21 AM
He's a good option to have as can cover a number of positions but he's lost that yard of pace and it shows.

Happy to have him around the squad and he's been part of a defence that's kept 2 clean sheets against the highest spenders in the league but keen to get Gray back ASAP. Although having said that he's not far in years behind Whittaker

Agree useful cover as he can play a number of positions and like all did well on Sunday but struggled tonight.

RIP
20-12-2018, 07:30 AM
Steven has always had the odd pass intercepted during the game. It was the same when he was with us previously. It comes from the fact that he is naturally an attacking midfielder and always looks to be creative.

thorbs
20-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Whittaker was as poor last night as he was good on Sunday. Mallan got shown up as well.

SirDavidsNapper
20-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Thought Whittaker looked a class above at times last night as he did against Celtic. Amazing how people see things differently.

hibee_girl
20-12-2018, 08:09 AM

You might be right.

I noticed him waving his hand a few times as if to say he didn’t want the ball even when he looked to be in a good position.

Frazerbob
20-12-2018, 08:20 AM
I’m flabergasted by some of the posts on here. I thought Whitts had a great game. His 2nd in 4 days against the best 2 teams in the league and contributed to 2 clean sheets. No coincidence he’s playing well when played at right back. It was also clear that his fitness has improved considerably. A couple of months ago he was done after 60 minutes. Last night he was still putting in a shift in injury time despite clearly getting a knock with 15 to go. Great player to have in the squad, especially with SDG’s injury battle.

theonlywayisup
20-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Well I mean it's not. He either dives in and is beaten or backs off and let's people into the box then doesn't tackle. He's a poor defender. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team and the only reason that he is because Gray and mavrias are out. I can't believe what people say about him. Clearly watching a different player to me.

Well let's agree to disagree. You'll see on this thread that there's a real mix of opinions.

I feel you get posters who can only see the negatives and those who only see the positives. The reality is somewhere in between.

Phil MaGlass
20-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Thought Whittaker looked a class above at times last night as he did against Celtic. Amazing how people see things differently.

Thats how I saw it, he also has good awareness and an eye for movement, he made a couple of mistakes but so did most of the team, Mallan was bad though. 2 tough games in the space of a few days. He bust a gut last nite and Im glad he plays for us.

Booked4Being-Ugly
20-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Not his biggest fan but credit where it's due - he was excellent against Celtic and was one of the better players against the Huns last night.

FRes Hibbie
20-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Did a couple of daft things that you do not expect from a player of his great experience but largely got away with it you can tell his legs are going and his great strength as a young man was his speed and his speed of recovery : pass marks

No it wasn't. Granted he's slower now than ten years ago but he has never been fast and has always been a dodgy defender.

His great strength is that he's a good footballer, two footed, good passer and has a good touch. That's what makes him an asset going forward.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 10:23 AM
No it wasn't. Granted he's slower now than ten years ago but he has never been fast and has always been a dodgy defender.

His great strength is that he's a good footballer, two footed, good passer and has a good touch. That's what makes him an asset going forward.
Indeed. He is really good with both feet. Pass he made to Shaw at the end of the first half that lead to Horgan's chance was exceptional. He's always been better technically than physically.

pacoluna
20-12-2018, 10:25 AM
One of the best passers of a ball in our team. He has the ability to take 3/4 players out of the game with one pass.

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Part of a defence that have had 2 clean sheets against the 2 best teams in Scotland, not bad with no legs.

Whittaker is a very good squad player, who has filled in because we have been ravaged by injuries throughout the whole squad.

:top marks

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 12:22 PM

OK! We agree he is slower now than he was ten years ago :dunno:

He is also very good going forward

I remember at the time he was praised as an attacking full back but was criticised for being suspect defensively not just at our club but at other clubs

As it stands just now he is a valuable experienced member of our squad and is useful in that he has looked after himself and can slot into various positions as required

He did ok last night apart from one defensive slip in the first half when he allowed the Croatian guy a clear run on goal

Very good going forward enjoyed his nutmeg in the second half

Squad player!

matty_f
20-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Part of a defence that have had 2 clean sheets against the 2 best teams in Scotland, not bad with no legs.

Whittaker is a very good squad player, who has filled in because we have been ravaged by injuries throughout the whole squad.

:top marks

:agree: He was good last night, imho. It was probably his hardest game of the season and he did fine.

Stuart93
20-12-2018, 12:25 PM

I remember at the time he was praised as an attacking full back but was criticised for being suspect defensively not just at our club but at other clubs

As it stands just now he is a valuable experienced member of our squad and is useful in that he has looked after himself and can slot into various positions as required

He did ok last night apart from one defensive slip in the first half when he allowed the Croatian guy a clear run on goal

Squad player!

Sorry mate but he’s not “very good” going forward.

I don’t think he’s great going forward at all especially now that he’s lost a bit of pace.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Sorry mate but he’s not “very good” going forward.

I don’t think he’s great going forward at all especially now that he’s lost a bit of pace.

Agree was getting way ahead of myself lets just say good :aok:

I remember one cross second half Flo was in the middle waiting on a simple nod in but he decides to launch it high and hard to the back post you guessed it no one there :confused:

500miles
20-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Whittaker had some good touches and passes last night. Overplayed it on other occasions. Ended up with a thigh strain, and would've been subbed if we hadnt used them up.

FRes Hibbie
20-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Squad player!

My point was that “his great strength was speed as a young man” is completely and utterly wrong.

He has qualities but speed isn’t, and hasn’t ever been, one of them.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 02:16 PM
My point was that “his great strength was speed as a young man” is completely and utterly wrong.

He has qualities but speed isn’t, and hasn’t ever been, one of them.

You think?

https://youtu.be/mv26UQV64Vo

Looks plenty fast to me as runs past the Sporting defence

Also recommend you look at the video of the 2007 Scottish League Cup Final

Also went onto win a further three League Cups two Scottish Cups and three SPL titles and 31 full Scotland caps

Slow coaches do not play in the EPL

Agreed he was no Ivan Sproule or Arthur Duncan and as I have already said not the greatest defensively

FRes Hibbie
20-12-2018, 04:52 PM
You think?

https://youtu.be/mv26UQV64Vo

Looks plenty fast to me as runs past the Sporting defence

Also recommend you look at the video of the 2007 Scottish League Cup Final

Also went onto win a further three League Cups two Scottish Cups and three SPL titles and 31 full Scotland caps

Slow coaches do not play in the EPL

Agreed he was no Ivan Sproule or Arthur Duncan and as I have already said not the greatest defensively

It’s a fine goal but he’s not beating anyone in a race, he’s skinning them because of his good touch, dribbling and a stinking slide tackle from the defender after he’s actually caught Whittaker up.

As far as the league cup final is concerned, please point out the bit where he’s pacey, it’s not there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gH2rQ1DffY

Again, good player, not particularly quick. “His great strength was his speed” is a fabrication.

A Hi-Bee
20-12-2018, 05:50 PM
It’s a fine goal but he’s not beating anyone in a race, he’s skinning them because of his good touch, dribbling and a stinking slide tackle from the defender after he’s actually caught Whittaker up.

As far as the league cup final is concerned, please point out the bit where he’s pacey, it’s not there.

Again, good player, not particularly quick. “His great strength was his speed” is a fabrication.

He is one if not the most technically gifted footballer at our club, great man to have around the squad.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2018, 06:21 PM
One thing that helped Whittaker last night was the fact that Grezvda is pretty hopeless. Has he had a goal or assist yet for them? Fastest he ran all night was when he got subbed.

The Rangers are solid at the back and quite tough to play against but their creative midfield options are pretty poor. Their full backs pose a bigger threat

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 07:11 PM

Them highlights just the goals thought he did well to run from right back to jump on Benjis back for the second

If he was as slow as you suggest do you really think he would have won as much as he has in the game?

Reminds me of the old Bertie Auld story when he slams his medals on the table and says thems my medals where’s yours?

We are lucky to have him

Squad player

PS

Great memory by the way ��

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Them highlights just the goals thought he did well to run from right back to jump in Benjis back for the second

If he was as slow as you suggest do you really think he would have won as much as he has in the game?

Reminds me of the old Bertie Auld story when he slams his medals on the table and says thems my medals where’s yours?

Do you really think he would have had such a successful career if was as slow as you suggest?

We are lucky to have him

Squad player

PS

Great memory by the way ��No one has said he was slow. He just wasn't especially fast. Plenty of players who aren't especially gifted physically had brilliant careers with many medals.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2018, 07:47 PM
No one has said he was slow. He just wasn't especially fast. Plenty of players who aren't especially gifted physically had brilliant careers with many medals.

Agree and he is definitely a lot slower than he was ten years ago :greengrin

The_Horde
20-12-2018, 08:42 PM
When Gray's back I'd be tempted to use him in midfield again when Milligan's gone. Especially if Bartley hasn't come back by then.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 09:42 PM
When Gray's back I'd be tempted to use him in midfield again when Milligan's gone. Especially if Bartley hasn't come back by then.No way IMO. Gray has many qualities but I've seen nothing to suggest he could play central midfield. Hanlon maybe.

Jonnyboy
20-12-2018, 09:43 PM
No way IMO. Gray has many qualities but I've seen nothing to suggest he could play central midfield. Hanlon maybe.

I think DSJ was talking about Whitty :wink:

jacomo
20-12-2018, 10:25 PM
When Gray's back I'd be tempted to use him in midfield again when Milligan's gone. Especially if Bartley hasn't come back by then.

He’s tidy but doesn’t really like to tackle. SW is an ok midfield option but not one to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 10:49 PM
I think DSJ was talking about Whitty :wink:Long day :greengrin

The_Horde
20-12-2018, 11:02 PM
He’s tidy but doesn’t really like to tackle. SW is an ok midfield option but not one to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Fooled me last night then when he was steaming into challenges. Surround him with enough energy and he'll be fine, best option we have without Bartley and Milligan.

*Whittaker again, btw*

hibee_girl
21-12-2018, 10:25 AM

SirDavidsNapper
21-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Backs up my thoughts that he played really well

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Hey!

Looking back I have had time to reflect and you were correct he was never the quickest good going forward and suspect defensively

I wish I had his Bank balance though :xbell

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

BillyHibs

Allant1981
21-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Can't be true, I read on here he didn't have a good game

we are hibs
21-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Can't be true, I read on here he didn't have a good game

He didn't.

Allant1981
21-12-2018, 04:49 PM
He didn't.

Yes he did

Famous Fiver
21-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Panto time right enough.

'Oh yes he did, oh no he didn't.'

Good entertainment on this thread

Frazerbob
21-12-2018, 06:39 PM
He didn't.

Agreed....he had a great game!

Robbo6-2
21-12-2018, 07:11 PM
The Whittaker debate is a real strange one.

On one side there's the staunch defenders of his abilities and he can do no wrong. On the other side there is people who just can't see him do any right.

For me his performance was really mixed on Wed. He had some lovely touches and those couple of nut megs were quality. Defensively he was good and he didn't get much assistance with the diamond.

On the other hand he did get caught on the ball a few times and the one he just shelled out the park from the throw in was poor.

Both the praise and the negativity towards whitty are way over the top imo.

What we have is a decent professional who is clearly coming to end of a brilliant career. He's still a valuable member of squad.

He's clearly not Cafu nor is he Alan Maybury.

Hibees1973
21-12-2018, 07:55 PM
There is no other player in the squad who divides our support more than Whittaker.

My own feeling is that Whittaker is getting old and he does now lack an initial burst of speed. Can often get found out in open play and if he gets too close to his direct opponent.

As he defends at full-back he can get exposed which can be alarming when watching him. Lennon obviously will know this during training sessions, but he must have positives in his game. I feel his height is a good thing as I have always felt Stevenson is too small for a Hibs left-back.

Let’s be honest. We rarely have a finished article at Hibs, this is why they are here.....anyone who gets near this is sold for big money, for example McGinn.

We need to accept what we have and if anyone is having a bad game, don’t give the individual too hard a time.

shetlandhibee
21-12-2018, 08:08 PM
There is no other player in the squad who divides our support more than Whittaker.

My own feeling is that Whittaker is getting old and he does now lack an initial burst of speed. Can often get found out in open play and if he gets too close to his direct opponent.

As he defends at full-back he can get exposed which can be alarming when watching him. Lennon obviously will know this during training sessions, but he must have positives in his game. I feel his height is a good thing as I have always felt Stevenson is too small for a Hibs left-back.

Let’s be honest. We rarely have a finished article at Hibs, this is why they are here.....anyone who gets near this is sold for big money, for example McGinn.

We need to accept what we have and if anyone is having a bad game, don’t give the individual too hard a time.
fair and honest assessment:aok: but changing your assessment I thought lewis was very good the other(despite his lack of height)night which hasn't been mentioned by maney:agree:

shetlandhibee
21-12-2018, 08:09 PM
fair and honest assessment:aok: but changing your assessment I thought lewis was very good the other(despite his lack of height)night which hasn't been mentioned by maney:agree:
many lol just in from works do:wink:

FRes Hibbie
21-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Hey!

Looking back I have had time to reflect and you were correct he was never the quickest good going forward and suspect defensively

I wish I had his Bank balance though :xbell

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

BillyHibs

At least we can agree on that!

FRes Hibbie
21-12-2018, 10:29 PM

I think that's fair. Rangers, probably more than most, try to double up and get their full backs forward as much as possible. Us playing a diamond (i.e. Very narrow) in midfield played in to their hands a bit. Despite the lack of support whitty was okay. There were better and worse on the pitch for us.

Captain Trips
21-12-2018, 11:53 PM
SW taking all games into account has been IMO at the very most an average signing. He has had good games but the fact I can remember most of them says to me it is the exception.

It reminds me a bit of folk telling me they won £100 at the weekend on a coupon then 4 or 5 weeks later they tell you won £100 again. What went on in between those times?

Hibs3-2
22-12-2018, 02:38 AM
Whittaker is a legend.

theonlywayisup
22-12-2018, 07:22 AM
The Whittaker debate is a real strange one.

On one side there's the staunch defenders of his abilities and he can do no wrong. On the other side there is people who just can't see him do any right.

For me his performance was really mixed on Wed. He had some lovely touches and those couple of nut megs were quality. Defensively he was good and he didn't get much assistance with the diamond.

On the other hand he did get caught on the ball a few times and the one he just shelled out the park from the throw in was poor.

Both the praise and the negativity towards whitty are way over the top imo.

What we have is a decent professional who is clearly coming to end of a brilliant career. He's still a valuable member of squad.

He's clearly not Cafu nor is he Alan Maybury.

You are 100% correct in my opinion. What frustrates me is those people that focus on the one or two bad passes and fail to acknowledge the many good things that he does.

theonlywayisup
22-12-2018, 07:27 AM
I think that's fair. Rangers, probably more than most, try to double up and get their full backs forward as much as possible. Us playing a diamond (i.e. Very narrow) in midfield played in to their hands a bit. Despite the lack of support whitty was okay. There were better and worse on the pitch for us.

You could clearly see, especially in the first half, that Whittaker had to deal with a left sided winger and defender alone. Slivka was always one position in-field. I counted a number of times when Whittaker held up the winger until Slivka came over to provide some support. A less experience defender might have dived in and we would have been totally exposed, but he didn't.

blackpoolhibs
22-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Whittaker has never been the best defender we've ever had, but he's come back and been part of a squad thats given us our biggest points total ever in the league.

He's also just been part of a team thats taken 4 points from 6 against the bigots, and contributed to us not conceding any goals in those games.

He will never be the best right back we have, but he's a good back up, and a good back up for a few other positions too.

I dont think we've ever had an injury season like this, and he's been one of them injured too, but he's filled in, given good performances and some bad, a bit like the rest of them.

The team is being rebuilt again, come the summer i'd think his game time will reduce even further, but he will have helped us in that rebuild, and for that i am very thankful.

wookie70
22-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Whittaker has never been the best defender we've ever had, but he's come back and been part of a squad thats given us our biggest points total ever in the league.

He's also just been part of a team thats taken 4 points from 6 against the bigots, and contributed to us not conceding any goals in those games.

He will never be the best right back we have, but he's a good back up, and a good back up for a few other positions too.

I dont think we've ever had an injury season like this, and he's been one of them injured too, but he's filled in, given good performances and some bad, a bit like the rest of them.

The team is being rebuilt again, come the summer i'd think his game time will reduce even further, but he will have helped us in that rebuild, and for that i am very thankful.

I agree with most of that. I thought he would be a good signing although was a wee bit concerned about the length of contract. He was injured and struggled to recover and now he is fit is looking to be a useful player for us in a few positions.