PDA

View Full Version : Sean Mackie

SirDavidsNapper
16-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Can be very pleased with his contribution. Hard coming on at HT to replace an excellent Slivka. He was every bit as good.

P.s thanks for choosing us over Hearts

Diclonius
16-12-2018, 02:33 PM
The new Lewis?

hfc rd
He was excellent! What a left foot he has! His deliveries into the box were crying out for someone to be on the end of it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
He is a fair sized unit, man mountain

SirDavidsNapper
16-12-2018, 02:34 PM
The new Lewis?

Certainly hope he picks up a couple of winners medals with the Hibees!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Can certainly whip in a cross!

HibeeHibernian4
16-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Two fantastic balls, thankfully the second one was rewarded by Flo's great finish. :aok:

Sir David Gray
Brilliant performance well done son.

Bostonhibby
Been told he's a great prospect and wasn't disappointed today. Well done son.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
He certainly linked up well with Lewis, there might be something in playing them both

BullsCloseHibs
Great future ahead for this young lad

Forza Fred
16-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Very impressive!

makaveli1875
16-12-2018, 02:40 PM
He looked lively up and down the left and that ball for Kamberi was something else . Cant have done his chances any harm with that performance

Hibeesmad
16-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Played very well

Onion
16-12-2018, 02:50 PM
As good as anything he and we could hope for. Brilliant performance under the circs.

nonshinyfinish
16-12-2018, 02:50 PM
What's his normal position?

I had in my head that he's a full back. Does he ever play further forward for the dev team/reserves?

hibee_girl
16-12-2018, 02:52 PM

I had in my head that he's a full back. Does he ever play further forward for the dev team/reserves?

Sure he’s a left back

Carheenlea
16-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Impressive. Looked confident and played his part in the second goal with a wonderful ball to set a up Flo. Look forward to seeing more of him in the first team.

hibbysam
16-12-2018, 02:55 PM

More a left full back but played a bit at left wing when Callum crane was there.

CmoantheHibs
16-12-2018, 02:58 PM
He was excellent. Looked as if he has been playing first team for yonks. Not overawed in the slightest. Having so many injuries may actually work in our favour with some of the youngsters getting a chance if his performance is anything to go by.

brog
16-12-2018, 02:59 PM
I posted at start of season that I thought this could be Sean's breakthrough season & that i thought he could do a job for us as an attacking left sided player. IIRC most posters disagreed (euphemism). ☺ Delighted to see him do so well today & kudos to NL for having the courage to bring him on in such a big game.

nonshinyfinish
16-12-2018, 03:02 PM
More a left full back but played a bit at left wing when Callum crane was there.

Cheers, certainly didn't look out of place there today.

The_Horde
16-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Showed composure and skill he should never have had and he can fair put himself about too. Thats not even taking into account the excellent deliveries into the box.

Good prospect!

Fergus52
16-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Did Stevenson move into midfield when he came on?

Diclonius
16-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Did Stevenson move into midfield when he came on?

No, like for like replacement for Slivka. I think Lennon didn't want to change the defence given how well they played.

J-C
16-12-2018, 03:25 PM
He can play all down the left, he's certainly been hitting the gym this past 2 years a definitely looks ready for more starts.

telford hibbee
16-12-2018, 03:31 PM

John McGinnis said he was a left back.

hibs#1
16-12-2018, 03:31 PM
He was very good.quite a big unit and got a bit of swagger about him too.

California-Hibs
16-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Thought he was brilliant and was gonna make a thread myself! That cross he put in!!

heretoday
16-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Well done young fella me lad.:greengrin

wookie70
16-12-2018, 03:34 PM
He certainly linked up well with Lewis, there might be something in playing them both
I said that at the game. IT was nice to see a partnership on the field as barring Efe and Porteous we have been like a team of strangers for weeks.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Superb when he came on. Three tremendous crosses/cross field passes. Inches away from a hat trick of assists. Great prospect.

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 03:39 PM
He was brilliant today and is some unit too.

overdrive
16-12-2018, 03:40 PM
He was brilliant today and is some unit too.

And to think we released him because he was too wee :faf:

The 90+2
16-12-2018, 03:44 PM
And to think we released him because he was too wee :faf:

Before we signed him From Raith? I didn’t realise that. 👍

bringbackbenny
16-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Before we signed him From Raith? I didn’t realise that. 👍

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/sean-mackie-s-hibs-debut-joy-six-years-after-release-by-easter-road-club-1-4830587

Frogga
16-12-2018, 05:01 PM
I must admit I was concerned when he came on but he proved me wrong and his crosses for Kamberi's goal and Horgan's chance were class. Looks a decent prospect.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
16-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Very impressed by Sean today, not many harder games to step into as a youngster, but he didn't look out of place in the slightest.

JohnMcM
16-12-2018, 05:51 PM
He can play all down the left, he's certainly been hitting the gym this past 2 years a definitely looks ready for more starts.

Yep. I was surprised at how he compared physically on the pitch to other players on both teams. You kinda loose sight of things like that when you watch the development matches.

Someone suggested earlier that he and Lewis would make a good pairing, (with which I agree), although that would give NL another (nice to have) headache when lining up the defence. Especially so when you look at who we are waiting to come back.

I love these yummy problems.

:flag:

thebakerboy
16-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Was also pleasing to see him Ryan and Ollie singing along to Sunshine on Leith at the end. 3 young Hibees through and through.:flag:

eastcoasthibby
16-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Delighted for him, it seemed like he was struggling a bit at times in development team, but today he showed great ability. He hasn't half filled out the past 9 months of so and yes a left back but when I have seen him he likes to get forward a lot and has a very good left foot in him. Great.to see another young player in the fringes showing up well today.

BSEJVT
16-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Was also pleasing to see him Ryan and Ollie singing along to Sunshine on Leith at the end. 3 young Hibees through and through.:flag:

Very pleasing indeed!

Northernhibee
16-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Could be the player to fill the gap that SJM has left. Looks like a tough cookie, good energy and can really spot a pass.

Blaster
16-12-2018, 08:31 PM
I think he could become our next long term left back but I’ve heard his tackles can be rash at times so left midfield looks a good fit for now

superfurryhibby
16-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Mackie was very good. Very energetic, comfortable on the ball, strong and determined. Well done to the laddie, impressive.

bigstu
16-12-2018, 11:07 PM
According to Lennon, it is Mackie's mentality that often lets him down. Wonder what he means by that?

truehibernian
16-12-2018, 11:13 PM
According to Lennon, it is Mackie's mentality that often lets him down. Wonder what he means by that?

Think Cummings and you're onto it :greengrin

He is gallus and likes a laugh - but childish. Dressing room needs that at times but NL said the same about Jason. Mackie was excellent today and showed the same kind of 'arrogance' as JC did - nothing phased him.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Think Cummings and you're onto it :greengrin

He is gallus and likes a laugh - but childish. Dressing room needs that at times but NL said the same about Jason. Mackie was excellent today and showed the same kind of 'arrogance' as JC did - nothing phased him.

Surprised at that. He doesn't come across that way when I've heard him interviewed but then I suppose he could just be behaving for the camera. :greengrin

Callum_62
17-12-2018, 12:23 AM

Lennon expanded on that comment by saying Mackie is too self critical "he really beats himself up" i believe were the words

NAE NOOKIE
17-12-2018, 12:32 AM
Shout out to the lad, that wasn't an easy game to be chucked into but he slotted in perfectly … if his mentality is a problem it cant be doubts over his own ability coz he looked really assured, big lad as well which cant be a bad thing for a team lacking a wee bit for physicality. If that's how he normally plays he cant be far away from being a regular in the first team squad :aok:

we are hibs
17-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Thats Mackie and Porteous who have came in from the youth team who look well built. Compare that to previous players who have came through and have looked like wee bairns and easily pushed off the ball

calumhibee1
17-12-2018, 07:26 AM
Thats Mackie and Porteous who have came in from the youth team who look well built. Compare that to previous players who have came through and have looked like wee bairns and easily pushed off the ball

Agree with this. Refreshing to see guys coming out the youth team who can handle themselves. The likes of Stanton and Handling stood very little chance of making it here as they had absolutely nothing to their game in a physical sense.

Since90+2
17-12-2018, 07:33 AM

Is he not a Rangers fan?

Allant1981
17-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Agree with this. Refreshing to see guys coming out the youth team who can handle themselves. The likes of Stanton and Handling stood very little chance of making it here as they had absolutely nothing to their game in a physical sense.

You don't need to be physical to make it as a player, Mallan is hardly built like a tank but holds his own, Shaw is like a bean pole but doing well

J-C
17-12-2018, 07:37 AM

The reason why May brought in to look after the youths and Dev squad, he's known as a bit of heard task master but he gets results with younger players who buy into the full professional outlook of the game.

I always felt some of the youngsters prior to May looked pretty unprepared, Stanton, Handling and Harris etc were all technically good players but lacked that physicality that made them look like kids instead of men at the age of 20.

Brooster
17-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Is he not a Rangers fan?

Yes Sean and his family are Rangers fans but that doesn't matter, Sean and his family are good people. I'm glad he played well yesterday, he is ready for more first team game time.

FilipinoHibs
17-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Yes Sean and his family are Rangers fans but that doesn't matter, Sean and his family are good people. I'm glad he played well yesterday, he is ready for more first team game time.

Must have loved shoving it up them yesterday then. Love his swagger and self belief as with Porty.

calumhibee1
17-12-2018, 07:57 AM
You don't need to be physical to make it as a player, Mallan is hardly built like a tank but holds his own, Shaw is like a bean pole but doing well

Like you said though, Mallan can hold his own as can Shaw where as Handling and Stanton looked like youth players playing first team football imo.

brog
17-12-2018, 08:22 AM
I think he could become our next long term left back but I’ve heard his tackles can be rash at times so left midfield looks a good fit for now
He reminds me very much of Lewis Morgan. Ostensibly a full back who loves to attack evolving into a left sided midfielder or even attacker. I'm absolutely delighted to see him effectively add left sided width to our squad.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Like you said though, Mallan can hold his own as can Shaw where as Handling and Stanton looked like youth players playing first team football imo.

:confused:

Mallan has only held his own in midfield once(yesterday)and needs to carry on from where he left off against Der Hun on Wednesday by putting in the tackles and by spraying the passes and continuing to dictate the pace and tempo of the game Shaw is still too easily knocked off the ball for my liking and needs to bulk up and improve his hold up play to succeed in the premiership

Onwards and upwards!

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2018, 08:43 AM

Mallan has only held his own in midfield once(yesterday)and needs to carry on from where he left off against Der Hun on Wednesday by putting in the tackles and by spraying the passes and continuing to dictate the pace and tempo of the game Shaw is still too easily knocked off the ball for my liking and needs to bulk up and improve his hold up play to succeed in the premiership

Onwards and upwards!Mallan has held his own Vs Motherwell, Kilmarnock, st mirren, Hamilton, dundee, Aberdeen and now Celtic. And done well in the European games. His struggles have been massively exaggerated.

Shaw is already succeeding in this league. He just needs to keep playing and improving.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 08:47 AM
He reminds me very much of Lewis Morgan. Ostensibly a full back who loves to attack evolving into a left sided midfielder or even attacker. I'm absolutely delighted to see him effectively add left sided width to our squad.

Lewis Morgan is a cultured tricky skilful wide tanner ba player Sean Mackie is built like a brick **** house solid with a cultured intelligent beautiful left foot he was unlucky not to set up Flo with his first attempted pass two polar opposites of footballers I cannot imagine and no way can they be described as being similar but agree they bring the same attributes to both their teams.

bigwheel
17-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Mallan has held his own Vs Motherwell, Kilmarnock, st mirren, Hamilton, dundee, Aberdeen and now Celtic. And done well in the European games. His struggles have been massively exaggerated.

Shaw is already succeeding in this league. He just needs to keep playing and improving.

not so sure about that - he has largely been good on the ball...but off the ball, he has been caught napping frequently, with his opponent running past him way too many times..work rate was much more disciplined yesterday. Great to see.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Mallan has held his own Vs Motherwell, Kilmarnock, st mirren, Hamilton, dundee, Aberdeen and now Celtic. And done well in the European games. His struggles have been massively exaggerated.

When I say “ held his own” I am speaking about the physicality of their games so looking back on the games you mention it is a no from me regarding Stevie Mallan the only tackle I recall him putting in was against St Mirren a feeble attempt which got him booked.

He was very impressive yesterday and needs to kick on from that performance as it was almost perfect

More of the same against The Rangers please.

Olly is a fine young talent has a good work ethic and yes I agree he will only improve by playing but needs to add muscle and improve his holdup play and ball retention

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2018, 09:12 AM
When I say “ held his own” I am speaking about the physicality of their games so looking back on the games you mention it is a no from me regarding Stevie Mallan the only tackle I recall him putting in was against St Mirren a feeble attempt which got him booked.

He was very impressive yesterday and needs to kick on from that performance as it was almost perfect

More of the same against The Rangers please.

Olly is a fine young talent has a good work ethic and yes I agree he will only improve by playing but needs to add muscle and improve his holdup play and ball retention
You think Mallan only put in one tackle in all those wins I mentioned? I don't remember anyone complaining about Mallans physicality after any of them.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 09:15 AM
You think Mallan only put in one tackle in all those wins I mentioned? I don't remember anyone complaining about Mallans physicality after any of them.

Agree with Big Wheels comments on Stevie Mallan for the avoidance of any doubt Stevie Mallan was the one with the number 14 on his back standing watching whilst the opposition ran past him with the ball :greengrin

The “tackle” came in the recent 2-2 at Easter Road

J-C
17-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Onwards and upwards!

Problem we and Mallan have had is that the midfield has been all over the place shape and personnel wise, having 2 proper midfielders along side him yesterday made a huge difference, I think it it gave him more confidence to be the midfielder we all knew he can be.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Problem we and Mallan have had is that the midfield has been all over the place shape and personnel wise, having 2 proper midfielders along side him yesterday made a huge difference, I think it it gave him more confidence to be the midfielder we all knew he can be.
Agree 100% That performance yesterday was the player we all hoped we were getting add to that the fact he has goals in his locker let us hope he can now kick on and become a club legend 😁

Hibernian32
17-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Bale was once a LB I say keep him further forward

Baldy Foghorn
17-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Another great prospect coming through Academy.

KWJ
17-12-2018, 10:45 AM

He switched sides with Hyndman I think.

hibbysam
17-12-2018, 12:40 PM
not so sure about that - he has largely been good on the ball...but off the ball, he has been caught napping frequently, with his opponent running past him way too many times..work rate was much more disciplined yesterday. Great to see.

So very much like Dylan then?

Hiber-nation
17-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Lewis Morgan is a cultured tricky skilful wide tanner ba player Sean Mackie is built like a brick **** house solid with a cultured intelligent beautiful left foot he was unlucky not to set up Flo with his first attempted pass two polar opposites of footballers I cannot imagine and no way can they be described as being similar but agree they bring the same attributes to both their teams.

Think Brog must have the wrong guy....can't recall Lewis Morgan playing full back and as you say, not exactly similar in build or size.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Think Brog must have the wrong guy....can't recall Lewis Morgan playing full back and as you say, not exactly similar in build or size.
Surprised at Brog normally sensible and level headed in his posts as you say must be a case of mistaken identity
Anyway I thought Lewis Morgan looked a player when he came on the only player that they had that could unlock our defence was Scott Allan and he was not even stripped 😳

southsider
17-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Another great prospect coming through Academy.
Did we not buy him (Raith ?) for a small fee ?

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 01:07 PM
25k chose us over Hearts sensible boy!

scoopyboy
17-12-2018, 01:09 PM

We did but he was still very raw. I recall a fee of around £25,000

scoopyboy
17-12-2018, 01:10 PM
25k chose us over Hearts sensible boy!

Elphinstone to East Mains is far easier than Elphinstone to Riccarton. :greengrin

Johnny_Leith
17-12-2018, 01:36 PM
He was great, first time I've seen him play since Raith at home I think?

Am I right in saying Lennon stated at the start of the season there was a few academy players close to a break through?

Great if they can come through and contribute.

hibbysam
17-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Elphinstone to East Mains is far easier than Elphinstone to Riccarton. :greengrin

With those brains could you imagine Sean trying to get from Elphi to Riccarton on buses Scoop? 😂

Keith_M
17-12-2018, 01:42 PM
I love the fact that the lad gave us something we've been missing, a fast attacking wide player who can really hit a long pass.

Some of his passes were fantastic, especially when he laid on the second goal.

J-C
17-12-2018, 03:20 PM
He switched sides with Hyndman I think.

He played on the left of midfield when he came on, couple of cracking whipped in balls from there and that pass to Flo was from the left too.

hibbysam
17-12-2018, 03:21 PM
He played on the left of midfield when he came on, couple of cracking whipped in balls from there and that pass to Flo was from the left too.

And Emerson played on the left side first half, hence how they swapped sides, with Hyndman going over to the right to replace Slivka.

Ronniekirk
17-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Thought he made aBrilliant contribtion and Lennon acknowledged the role he played in the second half Lennon also indicated that one of the reasons he hadmnt featured more was his Mental Application So throwing the Gaunklet down for the Younster to hopefully be in the Tesm on Wed Night and apply himself the same way he did v Celtic

brog
17-12-2018, 05:14 PM

Early on Morgan either played wide in a middle 4 or as an attacking wing back with Saints. He scored 1 goal in his 1st 2 seasons, 30 games. He was then moved forward, usually in a forward 3 supporting a lone striker & scored 23 in his next 2 seasons. (about 70 games I think). He's now described as a winger. As you say the similarities I referred to were what he brings to the team, a left footed player with skill & pace giving us natural width. I'll leave the obsession with men's physiques to you Billy! :wink:

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Early on Morgan either played wide in a middle 4 or as an attacking wing back with Saints. He scored 1 goal in his 1st 2 seasons, 30 games. He was then moved forward, usually in a forward 3 supporting a lone striker & scored 23 in his next 2 seasons. (about 70 games I think). He's now described as a winger. As you say the similarities I referred to were what he brings to the team, a left footed player with skill & pace giving us natural width. I'll leave the obsession with men's physiques to you Billy! :wink:
Ha Ha! No way are they similar Morgan is a slightly built tricky gifted wee player Mackie is a Man Mountain in comparison and is more a left back than a winger but played a stormer for us Left mid I do not think Morgan has ever been a left back in his puff maybe when he is old and grey like Arthur Duncan The eye does not lie 😁

bigwheel
17-12-2018, 05:44 PM
So very much like Dylan then?

Dylan has more discipline without the ball and going backwards than Mallan...

ian cruise
17-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Hopefully those are things that he can improve upon. He's got the ability when he has the ball and that's harder to teach, the bits he's missing are thoroughly coachable

bigwheel
17-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Hopefully those are things that he can improve upon. He's got the ability when he has the ball and that's harder to teach, the bits he's missing are thoroughly coachable

agreed...he is certainly in a great place to learn and develop...and as you say he has got stuff in his locker that Dylan certainly didn't have...

hibbysam
17-12-2018, 05:55 PM

He really didn’t. He was criticised near weekly at times on here because players literally wandered off him into the box and had chances. For all Dylan’s outstanding play, he switched off on many occasions without the ball.

Stuart93
17-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Good prospect that mackie looks, would play him on Wednesday purely because of him being a rangers fan. Might be keen to impress 🙊

Radium
17-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Another set of highlights from Hibs. Good view of Mackie’s pass from ground level just after the minute mark.

https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1074681179645849604?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
17-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Another set of highlights from Hibs. Good view of Mackie’s pass from ground level just after the minute mark.

https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1074681179645849604?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFT :aok:

Great angles... and a definite red... which would probably have done them a favour :greengrin

Unseen work
18-12-2018, 12:48 AM
Mackie done very very well when he came on, bags of ability and showed great composure and barevery. Coming on and one of the first things he tried was an outside of the boot cross field pass which was very unlucky, and if cane off would have been pass of the season.

Brilliant deliveries however they never surprised me given how good his left foot is and having seen him play before.

More impressed by his decision making and positioning playing on the left of a diamond, he knew when to press the ball and when to stick to his position. Released the ball at the right times too with real quality.

Everyone saying he is a brick s*** house etc shouldn’t be blinded by that, he was released by us years back for being to small and now we have bought him back he had a real point to prove. Credit to him for putting in the required effort in the gym as it’s certainly paid off. Although now a big lad, he’s very much more of a technical player imo.

Also think Lennons comments about him beating himself up are signs of how much he wants it and to prove all of his previous doubters wrong.

Just hope folk give him the time and patience to progress, he has started great and hopefully fulfills his potential.

JohnM1875
18-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Mackie done very very well when he came on, bags of ability and showed great composure and barevery. Coming on and one of the first things he tried was an outside of the boot cross field pass which was very unlucky, and if cane off would have been pass of the season.

Brilliant deliveries however they never surprised me given how good his left foot is and having seen him play before.

More impressed by his decision making and positioning playing on the left of a diamond, he knew when to press the ball and when to stick to his position. Released the ball at the right times too with real quality.

Everyone saying he is a brick s*** house etc shouldn’t be blinded by that, he was released by us years back for being to small and now we have bought him back he had a real point to prove. Credit to him for putting in the required effort in the gym as it’s certainly paid off. Although now a big lad, he’s very much more of a technical player imo.

Also think Lennons comments about him beating himself up are signs of how much he wants it and to prove all of his previous doubters wrong.

Just hope folk give him the time and patience to progress, he has started great and hopefully fulfills his potential.

Great to hear.

Didn't realise he was released by us in the past. Another player I didn't realise we released was Eamomn Brophy! Just found that out the other week. Definitely have him back too.

SirDavidsNapper
18-12-2018, 07:53 AM

I saw a couple Hibs players applaud that effort.

Unseen work
22-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Young man played well again today.

His vision and ability to pick a pass is very impressive, I’d be tempted to stick with him at the left hand side of the diamond when we revert back to that.

cannastar
22-12-2018, 11:54 PM
think we are looking ok with Mackie Porteous lewis allan and shaw.all they need is an extended run of games.think I can see what lenny is doing intergrating the academy lads bit by bit and if we are patient it will pay off.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2018, 12:20 AM
think we are looking ok with Mackie Porteous lewis allan and shaw.all they need is an extended run of games.think I can see what lenny is doing intergrating the academy lads bit by bit and if we are patient it will pay off.

Porteous is the only one that is going to play consistently because he’s the only on good enough.

Lewis Allan isn’t anywhere near the required standard.

Shaw will be in and out. Mackie has a bit to do to displace Lewis (I hope he can prove to be better than him by the way).

hibbysam
23-12-2018, 01:31 AM
Porteous is the only one that is going to play consistently because he’s the only on good enough.

Lewis Allan isn’t anywhere near the required standard.

Shaw will be in and out. Mackie has a bit to do to displace Lewis (I hope he can prove to be better than him by the way).

Could Sean be used more in the role he played last Sunday? I’d say he’s got the confidence, the build and the energy to give us that player in the middle of the park that we’ve been missing since SJM left. All energy, great left foot, and the ability to put the foot on the ball and spray passes.

By no means am I asking Sean to live up to SJM standards at this stage, but I’d like to see him given a run of games in there.

bigwheel
23-12-2018, 08:35 AM
Could Sean be used more in the role he played last Sunday? I’d say he’s got the confidence, the build and the energy to give us that player in the middle of the park that we’ve been missing since SJM left. All energy, great left foot, and the ability to put the foot on the ball and spray passes.

By no means am I asking Sean to live up to SJM standards at this stage, but I’d like to see him given a run of games in there.

he has a wand of a left foot....but other than that, I have to confess I don't see anything from him that suggests he could make it in our first team...early days I admit. Hope I'm wrong, we need some to come through and make a difference ...

bingo70
23-12-2018, 08:44 AM
he has a wand of a left foot....but other than that, I have to confess I don't see anything from him that suggests he could make it in our first team...early days I admit. Hope I'm wrong, we need some to come through and make a difference ...

I agree. He had a couple of passes that really impressed me but I didn’t see the energy the poster you quoted seemed to see.

Don’t know what it is about him that concerned me but he seemed to be lack urgency or tenacity, he looks to me almost lethargic.

Comparing him to Lewis is the obvious benchmark and to me he was way off that level.

Crammond Hibee
23-12-2018, 08:55 AM
I agree. He had a couple of passes that really impressed me but I didn’t see the energy the poster you quoted seemed to see.

Don’t know what it is about him that concerned me but he seemed to be lack urgency or tenacity, he looks to me almost lethargic.

Comparing him to Lewis is the obvious benchmark and to me he was way off that level.

I wouldn’t play him ahead of Lewis.

bingo70
23-12-2018, 09:02 AM
I wouldn’t play him ahead of Lewis.

Not even close but that wasn’t really my point.

When a young player is trying to break into the team the very least I expect is energy, enthusiasm and tenacity. He’s maybe just not that kind of player to be fair but I was still a bit disappointed.

Crammond Hibee
23-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Not even close but that wasn’t really my point.

When a young player is trying to break into the team the very least I expect is energy, enthusiasm and tenacity. He’s maybe just not that kind of player to be fair but I was still a bit disappointed.

Yes I know
But it is my point though
I wouldn’t
They have to be tried but I’m disappointed with him also

coldingham hibs
23-12-2018, 09:20 AM
I thought Mackie was okay yesterday.

overdrive
23-12-2018, 09:40 AM
I thought he was pretty poor. He’s not going to displace Stevenson anytime soon (or Nelom even). I think it might be worth persevering with him in midfield.

J-C
23-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Play him in a midfield 4 in front of Stevenson

superfurryhibby
23-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Play him in a midfield 4 in front of Stevenson

He certainly offered very little at LB yesterday. Very contrasting performance the one v Celtic.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 10:27 AM
He certainly offered very little at LB yesterday. Very contrasting performance the one v Celtic.

Says a lot as to why he did not start versus The Rangers

Young players are known for their inconsistency

Might be worth persevering with him at left mid with Lewis behind him as our other midfielders are too similar

The boy has a left foot that could open a tin of beans

If that fails take him out of the process for his own good

J-C
23-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Played midfield against Celtic, wingback yesterday

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Where people this negative about Brown/Riordan/Thomson etc when they were coming through because I remember plenty ***** games from them.

Shaw and Mackie are just lads. It can take time for them to reach their potential. They'll not only save us alot of money on signing players if they do but could make us millions. Deserve far better backing than they're getting.

Eyrie
23-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Mackie had a shaky start yesterday with a few misplaced passes and poor attempts at control but settled down after that. He didn't play that well, particularly compared to the Celtc game, but he was middle of the pack for individual performances yesterday.

Need to see more of him to decide it he can be a long term option for us.

superfurryhibby
23-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Played midfield against Celtic, wingback yesterday

I know, that why I mentioned offering very little at LB.

He possibly had more time on the ball v Celtic and had the back up of Stevenson as support. Early days for him, but nothing from yesterday to suggest he will oust Lewis from the team anytime soon, if LB is his favoured position. Hopefully he will grow in confidence and push on.

J-C
23-12-2018, 11:46 AM
I know, that why I mentioned offering very little at LB.

He possibly had more time on the ball v Celtic and had the back up of Stevenson as support. Early days for him, but nothing from yesterday to suggest he will oust Lewis from the team anytime soon, if LB is his favoured position. Hopefully he will grow in confidence and push on.

He's more attack minded than Stevenson and wigh a better end product, stick him st LM and let Stevenson defend.

gazzag70
26-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Played very very well today, he looks a cracking player and I think he deserves a regular starting slot, maybe even in midfield. GGTTH!

blackpoolhibs
26-12-2018, 05:06 PM
He reminds me a little of David Murphy, would love it if he became anywhere as good as him. :top marks

bingo70
26-12-2018, 05:07 PM
I was quite critical of him earlier in this thread but thought he looked excellent today from what I could tell (not the greatest stream with no commentary)

J-C
26-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Definitely plays better higher up the pitch, plays mostly left midfield with the Dev team, so maybe a good call to play him as a left mid in front of Stevenson.

LaMotta
26-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Mackie was brillliant today!

His maradona turn was sublime, hope thats on Sportscene.

Although Hanlon consistently refused to pass the ball to him, was bizaare.

Dashing Bob S
26-12-2018, 05:25 PM
I was quite critical of him earlier in this thread but thought he looked excellent today from what I could tell (not the greatest stream with no commentary)

Already has a thread of his own on Hibs net with his first name and surname which indicates he’s bound for the highest level of the game (if indeed he’s not already there) as we are seldom, if ever, wrong on this forum.

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Said before on here he could open a tin of beans with that left foot ( wonder if we’ll hear that again?)

What a beautiful cross straight onto Dazzas napper and headed right into the Hun pokey!

OK Dazza leapt like a salmon to get it but still a brilliant cross

A star is born

Hun tae ah believe.

Oh! ma achin sides!

��

BSEJVT
26-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Mackie was brillliant today!

His maradona turn was sublime, hope thats on Sportscene.

Although Hanlon consistently refused to pass the ball to him, was bizaare.

Not sure Hanlon is as comfortable passing the ball to the left as he is to the right as I have noticed lots of times in games when he has passed the ball to the right when Lewis has been an easier option than the ball he has played?

superfurryhibby
26-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Mackie did well when he came on. He added some energy and quality on the ball, very good contribution from another emerging player.

Iggy Pope
26-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Said before on here he could open a tin of beans with that left foot ( wonder if we’ll hear that again?)

What a beautiful cross straight onto Dazzas napper and headed right into the Hun pokey!

OK Dazza leapt like a salmon to get it but still a brilliant cross

A star is born

Hun tae ah believe.

Oh! ma achin sides!

��

I dare say we will hear it if we get wee Strachan punditing for us. It’s one of his after all.

Edit: it was Steve Perryman I believe....

Onceinawhile
26-12-2018, 07:26 PM
We won 1-0 when he came on. Seems to be doing alright.

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2018, 07:27 PM
I dare say we will hear it if we get wee Strachan punditing for us. It’s one of his after all.

Edit: it was Steve Perryman I believe....

Was thinking mair Jase!:greengrin

Hibeesmad
26-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Two assists against the Old Firm, not a bad start to hopefully a long and successful career at Hibs

Hibees1973
26-12-2018, 07:41 PM
He looks perfect for a Hibs left side. Big, powerful with a great left foot.

Looks like Stevenson is out of the derby. Mackie has now had 90 minutes against Celtic & Rangers. Hopefully he can cope with the sly way Hearts play, especially Naismith & McLean who always play for free kicks.

If he shows up against a Hearts, Mackie could cement a place in the side for a while. Mackie down the left and Gray on the right gives us a strong and physical balance to the team.