PDA

View Full Version : January Signings - Winter Break Points Total

Keith_M
15-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Last season, we accumulated 34 points in our first 21 games* before the winter break. While it was great to be back in the top league,and we'd had a number of really good results, many of us felt it should have been higher, with quite a number of disappointing draws. There was a desire to freshen up the squad, apparently echoed by the management, as the squad was changed to great effect

With five games still to go before the winter break this season, we would another eleven points just to match that number.

Let's be honest, there's absolutely no chance of that happening, especially given the teams we have to play in those games: Celtc, Rangers(x2), Hearts and Livi (who just beat Hearts 5-0 and also beat us 2-1) .

Realistically, we're going to be going into the break around 7 or 8 points less than the same point last season.

All of the above has made me re-assess what I think would be a decent season for Hibs this time around and, TBH, I'd be very surprised if we're in the mix for European places after the split. A top six finish and an improvement in performances is probably the best we can hope for, with the expectation that we do much better in building our squad for a proper challenge again for 2019-20.

Thoughts?

* we actually played 22 matches before the break, but I excluded the last one, for comparison with this season.

calumhibee1
15-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Last season, we accumulated 34 points in our first 21 games* before the winter break. While it was great to be back in the top league,and we'd had a number of really good results, many of us felt it should have been higher, with quite a number of disappointing draws. There was a desire to freshen up the squad, apparently echoed by the management, as the squad was changed to great effect

With five games still to go before the winter break this season, we would another eleven points just to match that number.

Let's be honest, there's absolutely no chance of that happening, especially given the teams we have to play in those games: Celtc, Rangers(x2), Hearts and Livi (who just beat Hearts 5-0 and also beat us 2-1) .

Realistically, we're going to be going into the break around 7 or 8 points less than the same point last season.

All of the above has made me re-assess what I think would be a decent season for Hibs this time around and, TBH, I'd be very surprised if we're in the mix for European places after the split. A top six finish and an improvement in performances is probably the best we can hope for, with the expectation that we do much better in building our squad for a proper challenge again for 2019-20.

Thoughts?

* we actually played 22 matches before the break, but I excluded the last one, for comparison with this season.

From where we are now/where I see us before the split then I would look at top 6 as being the best we can hope for. I can see us being on somewhere around 26 points at the winter break and around 8 or 9 points off top 6. Taking that into consideration, top 6 would actually be quite an achievement in the second half of the season. Bottom six would be absolutely unacceptable but I think we’re more likely to finish there than top 6.

IF we can get some real quality in in January we may have a chance. We done it last year but it’s a difficult window to make any real signings of note. Allan would be a big help and I see people mentioning Kamara but I’d reckon Kamara will be out of our reach. If he wasn’t then I’d think our best bet would be getting him next summer rather than January - can’t see us paying a big enough fee to get Dundee to play ball halfway through the season.

bigwheel
15-12-2018, 07:26 PM

Thoughts?

I think this is a good balanced view....I'd add to that, the point that our post break form was outstanding...think we almost matched Celtic point for point...and out pointed everyone else in the league....the likelihood of us doing that is low too...so can see us being 12-15 points easily off the points from last season at best...we will do well to get into top six. I'd settle for that now, as you say...alongside a better performance level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
15-12-2018, 07:31 PM
I think this is a good balanced view....I'd add to that, the point that our post break form was outstanding...think we almost matched Celtic point for point...and out pointed everyone else in the league....the likelihood of us doing that is low too...so can see us being 12-15 points easily off the points from last season at best...we will do well to get into top six. I'd settle for that now, as you say...alongside a better performance level.

It was our home form that was fantastic post break. After beating Rangers away on 3rd Feb, we didn’t win another league game away from ER. Hopefully we can improve on that this season

Captain Trips
15-12-2018, 07:44 PM
A decent season for Hibs is European football. I understand your point about reassessing but it's not decent for us to be discussing top 6. Top 6 should never be decent or a success top 6 should never be a target or a marker.

There is a chance we could finish 5th or 6th and if we do IMO that's not good enough.

Sir David Gray
15-12-2018, 07:50 PM
I think we'll be fortunate to finish in the top six this season. We aren't doing anywhere near enough against the better teams in the league and lately we're even dropping points against the weaker sides.

Our results in the last two months have been nowhere near good enough and we need to massively improve if we are going to come anywhere close to last season's finish.

Keith_M
15-12-2018, 08:08 PM
A decent season for Hibs is European football. I understand your point about reassessing but it's not decent for us to be discussing top 6. Top 6 should never be decent or a success top 6 should never be a target or a marker.

There is a chance we could finish 5th or 6th and if we do IMO that's not good enough.

I agree, when the season starts that's what our target should be. My post was more what I think is a realistic target from where we are now.

We also had an incredibly high level of additions to our squad and I'd be very surprised (but delighted) if the new faces this time are of the same quality.

Still, we live in hope

:greengrin

Steve20
15-12-2018, 08:25 PM
We’re not finishing top 6. We’ll be well behind it come the winter break and there’ll be too much to do afterwards. We need a good 4-5 players.

Tyler Durden
15-12-2018, 09:13 PM
It’s no surprise to see some of the usual people who think we’ve no chance of making top 6.

Looking at our points from last year is pretty meaningless unless you compare other teams also. This season you have Celtic and Killie who seem to be a cut above. Rangers are probably going to be in the mix aswell. After that there’s not much between other teams and most have had good and bad runs.

No reason Hibs can’t get 4th place.

calumhibee1
15-12-2018, 09:30 PM
It’s no surprise to see some of the usual people who think we’ve no chance of making top 6.

Looking at our points from last year is pretty meaningless unless you compare other teams also. This season you have Celtic and Killie who seem to be a cut above. Rangers are probably going to be in the mix aswell. After that there’s not much between other teams and most have had good and bad runs.

No reason Hibs can’t get 4th place.

There’s been one person who has said we’ve no chance of making the top 6.

We’ve got 5 games left this year and 3 of them are against the Old Firm. The other two are against teams who are above us. That’s 5 very tough games to end the year when we’re already starting to slip away a bit from the teams above us. We’re not just 5 points off the top 6 with a tough run, we’ve also got 7th place to overhaul who are also 5 points ahead of us while we’re at it.

There’s a very realistic chance we could struggle for top 6 if we don’t pick up a significant number of points before the winter break. After that we’ll have 12 games to claw back what could realistically be a gap of not far off double figures if we don’t. There’s not no chance of us making top 6 but it’s a very realistic possibility.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2018, 09:41 PM
There’s been one person who has said we’ve no chance of making the top 6.

We’ve got 5 games left this year and 3 of them are against the Old Firm. The other two are against teams who are above us. That’s 5 very tough games to end the year when we’re already starting to slip away a bit from the teams above us. We’re not just 5 points off the top 6 with a tough run, we’ve also got 7th place to overhaul who are also 5 points ahead of us while we’re at it.

There’s a very realistic chance we could struggle for top 6 if we don’t pick up a significant number of points before the winter break. After that we’ll have 12 games to claw back what could realistically be a gap of not far off double figures if we don’t. There’s not no chance of us making top 6 but it’s a very realistic possibility.

I’d be willing to bet we’re not double figures off the top six come the break.

Based on what I’ve seen lately I don’t think we’re going to be challenging for Europe. But we are 5 points of sixth place with two games in hand. And we play the sixth placed team in a week.

I’m not overly optimistic of picking up anything tomorrow but I think we can get something from Rangers and I think we will beat Livingston because, really, we have to. They are a different animal away from home as well.

calumhibee1
15-12-2018, 09:53 PM
I’d be willing to bet we’re not double figures off the top six come the break.

Based on what I’ve seen lately I don’t think we’re going to be challenging for Europe. But we are 5 points of sixth place with two games in hand. And we play the sixth placed team in a week.

I’m not overly optimistic of picking up anything tomorrow but I think we can get something from Rangers and I think we will beat Livingston because, really, we have to. They are a different animal away from home as well.

I don’t think we’ll be double figures either but I don’t think we will be far off it. If we can get into the winter break still 5 points off the top 6 then in a way that would probably be a not bad outcome considering where we are and who we have coming up.

With regards to what we will pick up it’s nearly impossible to say with this team. One thing I will say though is that our record against the teams above us this season has been pretty pish. Played 9 and picked up 6/27 and that’s with only one of them having been against the Old Firm. Doesn’t really bode well for the upcoming fixtures but we’ll see what happens.

MWHIBBIES
We could still easily finish top 6 if we lost the next 5.

I think we'll get 2 wins and 2 draws from the next 5 and finish 5th at worst.

bigwheel
It was our home form that was fantastic post break. After beating Rangers away on 3rd Feb, we didn’t win another league game away from ER. Hopefully we can improve on that this season

True. But only lost one too...had a great points total post the break ...

15-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Our respectable form pre-January last year was a big element of our relative success. I expected us to do better this year not worse to be honest and barring a tremendous end to the calendar year we have underperformed.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2018, 10:11 PM
I don’t think we’ll be double figures either but I don’t think we will be far off it. If we can get into the winter break still 5 points off the top 6 then in a way that would probably be a not bad outcome considering where we are and who we have coming up.

With regards to what we will pick up it’s nearly impossible to say with this team. One thing I will say though is that our record against the teams above us this season has been pretty pish. Played 9 and picked up 6/27 and that’s with only one of them having been against the Old Firm. Doesn’t really bode well for the upcoming fixtures but we’ll see what happens.

By the time we have played Livingston next Saturday I think we will be two points, at worst, of the top six.

We’re far from a great side but all the teams above us are dropping points as well. We need to capitalise on it in the next three games. Easier said than done right enough.

Captain Trips
15-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Sevco are getting done twice, Celtic are getting it on Sunday.

Borderhibbie76
16-12-2018, 07:32 AM

No reason Hibs can’t get 4th place.Tbh the very fact we are admitting that Killie are a cut above us is nowhere near good enough ...their budget is tiny compared to ours

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bigwheel
16-12-2018, 07:52 AM
Tbh the very fact we are admitting that Killie are a cut above us is nowhere near good enough ...their budget is tiny compared to ours

Isn't that the magic of football...even with their budget they have signed well and are managed well...their front 4 are as good as possibly any in the league currently...scoring 2-3 goals every game...Killie have secured more points this calendar year than any other club....they are a benchmark for all clubs outside of Celtic just now

Borderhibbie76
16-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Isn't that the magic of football...even with their budget they have signed well and are managed well...their front 4 are as good as possibly any in the league currently...scoring 2-3 goals every game...Killie have secured more points this calendar year than any other club....they are a benchmark for all clubs outside of Celtic just now

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkYeah very true mate I think it just highlights how bad our summer window was though...their signings were very astute and ours pretty much have all underperformed

hibbydog
16-12-2018, 08:19 AM
We’re 5 points below the decent teams, and 5 points above the relegation strugglers. What we do with our games in hand will play a big part in where we end up.

I think 3-4 top quality signings will see us make top 6, but I don’t see it at the moment.

I think we’ll be bottom 6 with our Gorgie chums

Sir David Gray
16-12-2018, 08:28 AM
We’re 5 points below the decent teams, and 5 points above the relegation strugglers. What we do with our games in hand will play a big part in where we end up.

I think 3-4 top quality signings will see us make top 6, but I don’t see it at the moment.

I think we’ll be bottom 6 with our Gorgie chums

We're really 10-14 points above the relegation strugglers as I wouldn't say Motherwell are struggling with relegation. Ourselves and Motherwell are really the only sides in no man's land at the moment in that we have a decent lead over the relegation zone but we're a bit away from the top 6/European places.

We're very much in mid table obscurity just now. We could really do with a win today.

hibbydog
16-12-2018, 08:47 AM
We're really 10-14 points above the relegation strugglers as I wouldn't say Motherwell are struggling with relegation. Ourselves and Motherwell are really the only sides in no man's land at the moment in that we have a decent lead over the relegation zone but we're a bit away from the top 6/European places.

We're very much in mid table obscurity just now. We could really do with a win today.

Aye. And to get where we should be (top 6 minimum) we really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat in our forthcoming tough fixtures.

Thing is, last season I’d be confident about taking care of hearts and sevco. This season I’m not even confident about Livingston at home!

7th placed finish is probably most likely IMO

Sir David Gray
16-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Aye. And to get where we should be (top 6 minimum) we really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat in our forthcoming tough fixtures.

Thing is, last season I’d be confident about taking care of hearts and sevco. This season I’m not even confident about Livingston at home!

7th placed finish is probably most likely IMO

I would say we need at least 6 points from our next 3 matches to get back in contention for the top 4/5 places.

BILLYHIBS
16-12-2018, 09:22 AM
I would say we need at least 6 points from our next 3 matches to get back in contention for the top 4/5 places.

So basically what your saying is we have to beat The Rangers and Livvy at home.....doable but would feel a lot better if we had SA! :confused:

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2018, 09:44 AM
So basically what your saying is we have to beat The Rangers and Livvy at home.....doable but would feel a lot better if we had SA! :confused:and Messi :confused:

Borderhibbie76
16-12-2018, 10:13 AM
I would say we need at least 6 points from our next 3 matches to get back in contention for the top 4/5 places.Yeah I agree anything less and we are toiling for top 6 imo regardless of what happens in the Jan window

Hibees1973
16-12-2018, 10:48 AM
The Edinburgh Evening News had a stat that we are ranked 8th against the top 6 teams in the league.....hence our league position.

if we have any ambitions of the top 4 or 6 we have to pick up at least 9 points from the games against
Celtic, Rangers (twice), Livingston and Hearts....will take us to 32 points.

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Our respectable form pre-January last year was a big element of our relative success. I expected us to do better this year not worse to be honest and barring a tremendous end to the calendar year we have underperformed.

There we have it in one post how ridiculous some of our expectations are.