PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sunderland Till I Die - Netflix

Gaffer1875
15-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Anyone else started watching this? Really great insight to a football club and how’s it operates.

Downside is Martin Bain is on camera a lot.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdawg
15-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Anyone else started watching this? Really great insight to a football club and how’s it operates.

Enjoy.

Started it today as was rough. Watched 6 episodes, it is really good.

Cardinal G
15-12-2018, 05:55 PM
It's a warts and all series, shows a lot thats wrong with current game, one saving grace is the fans dedication passion and support, mind Bain doesn't come over well, how he earned 1.2 million a year I will never know.
Series 2 is being filmed this season and with reviews for this series being so positive I would imagine netflix will screen it.

Jdawg
15-12-2018, 05:56 PM
It's a warts and all series, shows a lot thats wrong with current game, one saving grace is the fans dedication passion and support, mind Bain doesn't come over well, how he earned 1.2 million a year I will never know.
Series 2 is being filmed this season and with reviews for this series being so positive I would imagine netflix will screen it.

When the fan tried to have a square go with Coleman! Embarrassing.

Carheenlea
15-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Did hear about this earlier in the week somewhere and despite not being big into watching English football, this is something I would definitely like to watch. Whether I can wrestle the remote off the missus and drag her away from her Ozark binge remains to be seen though.

Bishop Hibee
15-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Just heard about this today. One for the festive holidays.

SaulGoodman
15-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Some of those fans are a different breed

hfc rd
15-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Just heard about this today. One for the festive holidays.

Definitely going to watch this over the festive holiday period as well.

I’ve still to watch the Man City All Or Nothing documentary on Amazon Prime which received some pretty good reviews so definitely got that on the watch list.

oramhibee
15-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Disappointed that it didn’t start at the beginning of pre-season. Was hoping to see a wee bit of Hibs in there. Would have liked to maybe see bits of our game against them

Cardinal G
15-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Definitely going to watch this over the festive holiday period as well.

I’ve still to watch the Man City All Or Nothing documentary on Amazon Prime which received some pretty good reviews so definitely got that on the watch list.

City ones pretty polished but when your that good I guess it's a given, still worth watching mind.

SteveHFC
15-12-2018, 09:15 PM
City ones pretty polished but when your that good I guess it's a given, still worth watching mind.

After watching the city one. I hope they fail miserably as they are everything that’s wrong with modern football.

The 90+2
15-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Did Bain not help ruin make 1?

Pretty Boy
15-12-2018, 10:29 PM
A programme about Sunderland you say. I assume this is a comedy?

16-12-2018, 02:13 AM

Enjoy.

Don't worry Bain won't appear much in the new series!
Just comes across as an arrogant ar$e.

16-12-2018, 02:19 AM

Definitely recommend it. Pep Guardiola just seems to be loved by his players. Some of the biggest stars in the world and they sit like kids listening to his every word. You can certainly see why the fans of every club he's managed love him.

calumhibee1
16-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Watched the first 3 episodes last night, decent watch considering Sunderland are one of the least interesting clubs I can think of.

Found it funny in the first episode where one of the Sunderland fans had hoped for a 4 or 5 nil win against Celtic to give them a bit of confidence for the season. Shows how little they think of Scottish football. Celtic spanked them 5-0 at the Stadium of Light.

IWasThere2016
16-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Martin Vain is a tit..

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Watching this just now binge watch on Netflix brilliant!

Reminds me of the bad old days of two weeks ago 😁

Centre Hawf
17-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Just finished it. What a shambles that club has been. I thought there was an awful lack of accountability from some senior players. Speaking to the cameras seemed to get panned off on a few young lads, and Gibson. I thought Jack Rodwell came over as a fud but then the club chose to give him his contract as well so there's blame lying at other peoples door for that situation too.

Thought Coleman came across pretty well and if anyone was going to keep them up it was most likely going to be him but I think it was a poisoned chalice and I'm amazed he left Wales for that job.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Martin Bain exThe Rangers is David Brent!

hibsbollah
17-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Martin Bain and Jim White are in so much in the opening two episodes I considered bailing out on it, they are both so skincrawlingly annoying. But then you realise that Bain becoming a laughing stock/hate figure is part of the story, him being the self satisfied succulent lamb range rover driving love himself so much he'd eat himself tit that he is. Him planting unwanted kisses on the women in the office was pure David Brent.

But it's a quality production, really good documentary.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Martin Bain and Jim White are in so much in the opening two episodes I considered bailing out on it, they are both so skincrawlingly annoying. But then you realise that Bain becoming a laughing stock/hate figure is part of the story, him being the self satisfied succulent lamb range rover driving love himself so much he'd eat himself tit that he is. Him planting unwanted kisses on the women in the office was pure David Brent.

But it's a quality production, really good documentary.
Jim White is annoying but would recommend his interview on Si Ferrys Open Goal on YouTube has a few good stories

northgreen24
18-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Binged watched this yesterday, really good show, the part where Martin Bain was raging when Roswell said he would be staying to run down his contract😂

The club were stupid enough not to put a clause in but expect the player to walk away,

BILLYHIBS
18-12-2018, 09:40 AM
SPOILER ALERT!

68k a week or something I think I would be staying put

Basket case of a club!

Carheenlea
18-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Watched episode two last night. Martin Bain - the last time I think I saw anyone in a v neck sweater with nothing underneath was Franco Begbie in Trainspotting. Maybe still popular in the North East of England..

hibsbollah
18-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Haha Chris Coleman has just gone to my old local cafe in Whitley Bay:greengrin I'm only on episode five so nae spoilers ta

Centre Hawf
18-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Haha Chris Coleman has just gone to my old local cafe in Whitley Bay:greengrin I'm only on episode five so nae spoilers ta

Safe to say he doesn't die in the end then...:greengrin

Smartie
18-12-2018, 06:32 PM
I just started watching it last night.

Looks like I'm alone here, but I thought Martin Bain seemed ok. He was hated by the Sunderland fans, but had an impossible job - move on a load of crap players who were earning a fortune and not really wanting to contribute anything, and replace them with players who earned less but contributed significantly more.

That will be a tough club to turn around, but by all accounts they are now just about going in the right direction.

Swedish hibee
18-12-2018, 06:36 PM
I really liked the city one. Kompany has such a huge presence on that club.

calumhibee1
18-12-2018, 06:42 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

68k a week or something I think I would be staying put

Basket case of a club!

Likewise. Rodwell would be lucky to get a contract on 10% of that if he left Sunderland yet Martin Bain wanted him to walk away from at least 18 months (as he’s still at Sunderland now and the conversation on the show was almost a year ago) or £4.5m+ to become unemployed. I’d be doing the exact same as Rodwell.

BILLYHIBS
18-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Likewise. Rodwell would be lucky to get a contract on 10% of that if he left Sunderland yet Martin Bain wanted him to walk away from at least 18 months (as he’s still at Sunderland now and the conversation on the show was almost a year ago) or £4.5m+ to become unemployed. I’d be doing the exact same as Rodwell.

SPOILER ALERT!

Contract cancelled June 2018 now plays for Blackburn Rovers

calumhibee1
18-12-2018, 06:49 PM
SPOILER ALERT!

Contract cancelled June 2018 now plays for Blackburn Rovers

So he does. I looked him up last night and even though his Wikipedia clearly states Blackburn I still read it as Sunderland!

BILLYHIBS
18-12-2018, 06:51 PM
So he does. I looked him up last night and even though his Wikipedia clearly states Blackburn I still read it as Sunderland!
Yip! Was on £68000 per week in the Championship reduced to £43000 per week in League One almost as much as you Callum? 😁

calumhibee1
18-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Yip! Was on £68000 per week in the Championship reduced to £43000 per week in League One almost as much as you Callum? 😁

Wouldn’t get out of bed for £43k a week 👀

TelaStella
18-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Started watching this the other night though I’m only at the start of Chris Colman’s reign and not as far in as other posters are. Looking forward to seeing what it is exactly that goes even more wrong for them under Colman as he’s always a young manager who’s impressed me massively, a wee wiki visit says he’s over in China now? Crazy though I’m sure the money can’t be bad. What has came to me since the first episode is I do have a small degree of pity for the supporters who really seem to be the only ones who care about the club while the likes of that p*** Bain take them to the cleaners real shame when football for the vast majority of these punters is the only thing really going for them in what has always been a rather and unfairly excluded part of England. One negative I’ve picked up on though is this conception that they are some sort of super power in football which rather arrogantly seems to come with a lot of the English teams nowadays, Bournemouth and Burnley to name a couple because they’ve managed to stay afloat in the premier league for a couple years yet I think the likes of us and even Dundee United have probably achieved far more in our contributions to the game. Liking the sound of a 2nd series though! Will be interesting to see first hand the effect Jack Ross is having/had and of course our very own Dylan

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-12-2018, 08:50 PM

Looks like I'm alone here, but I thought Martin Bain seemed ok. He was hated by the Sunderland fans, but had an impossible job - move on a load of crap players who were earning a fortune and not really wanting to contribute anything, and replace them with players who earned less but contributed significantly more.

That will be a tough club to turn around, but by all accounts they are now just about going in the right direction.

Totally agree Smartie.

I'm just beginning episode 3 now and from what I've seen so far he seems alright.

One thing that's stood out is the toxic atmosphere throughout the club. 4 or 5 games in and after winning 1, drawing 2 and losing 2 the fans are apoplectic with rage and that's a better start than we had to life in our first championship campaign.

Quite incredible

BILLYHIBS
18-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Started watching this the other night though I’m only at the start of Chris Colman’s reign and not as far in as other posters are. Looking forward to seeing what it is exactly that goes even more wrong for them under Colman as he’s always a young manager who’s impressed me massively, a wee wiki visit says he’s over in China now? Crazy though I’m sure the money can’t be bad. What has came to me since the first episode is I do have a small degree of pity for the supporters who really seem to be the only ones who care about the club while the likes of that p*** Bain take them to the cleaners real shame when football for the vast majority of these punters is the only thing really going for them in what has always been a rather and unfairly excluded part of England. One negative I’ve picked up on though is this conception that they are some sort of super power in football which rather arrogantly seems to come with a lot of the English teams nowadays, Bournemouth and Burnley to name a couple because they’ve managed to stay afloat in the premier league for a couple years yet I think the likes of us and even Dundee United have probably achieved far more in our contributions to the game. Liking the sound of a 2nd series though! Will be interesting to see first hand the effect Jack Ross is having/had and of course our very own Dylan

Speaking to their fans in Middletons a few years ago you could not fail to be impressed by the passion enthusiasm and love they had for their club
The club was their life and many looked as though they were hard working working class people pumping all their hard earned into following their beloved club
Sunderland AFC are a well supported football club and what comes across in the Documentary is that their fans did not deserve the level of performances given during the duration of the series
All any football fan asks for is 100% effort at all times

brianmc
18-12-2018, 09:07 PM
I've watched the first 3 episodes so far and found it pretty entertaining. I was interested to see Emerson Hyndman was one of their priority signing targets (EP2 I think) :na na:

Smartie
18-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Whilst they were in the Premier League they consistently had the 7th highest attendance in the league. To have the 7th highest attendances in one of the biggest leagues in Europe, you'd probably expect to be able to do a bit better than they have done, especially compared to the likes of Bournemouth who have done brilliantly on TV money and much smaller attendances.

Haymaker
19-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Bournemouth who have done brilliantly on TV money and much smaller attendances.

And their billionaire owner

overdrive
22-12-2018, 10:47 AM

I’m only a few episodes in but I agree, I think Bain comes across alright.

Johnny Williams comes across as really shy for a footballer.

BILLYHIBS
22-12-2018, 11:19 AM
I’m only a few episodes in but I agree, I think Bain comes across alright.

Johnny Williams comes across as really shy for a footballer.

I know it’s Christmas and all that but I am sorry I have to disagree

I have watched the whole series and I don’t want to hit you with any spoiler alerts but to me he sums up the worst traits of every boss I have ever had

From emerging from his early morning swim posing in front of the cameras swanning about the Office giving the girls unwanted kisses running a multipound football club and all his facts figures and master plan written down in an old school jotter and all the time drinking coffee from his own personal nespresso coffee machine

He goes through three Managers in one season:confused:

To me he is an egomaniac talking pish to the cameras the office snake trying (quite rightly) to get players off the payroll and going the wrong way about it but the whole documentary seems to be about Martin Bain as far as he is concerned

Bain and Short almost killed that club through their mismanagement and Stewart Donald the White Knight came in in the nick of time to stop the rot.

We are spared a David Brent like “ please don’t sack me” final interview as his position is made redundant saving the club an immediate 1.25m

I agree it is hard not to like the guy I feel that he genuinely wanted what was best for the club but was at a loss as to what to do to remedy the situation when all the time the answer was staring him right in the face

Like David Brent not fit for purpose

Just my opinion it is funny how folk see things differently

I would thoroughly recommend this Documentary to anyone with time on their hands over the holiday period

GGTTH

Zazu62
22-12-2018, 11:23 AM
I actually thought Bain came across alright, hardly his fault the owner was fed up with it and wanting to sell the club. Feel a bit sorry for Chris Coleman he had basically no funds in the January window to do anything

wookie70
22-12-2018, 11:49 AM
I know it’s Christmas and all that but I am sorry I have to disagree

I have watched the whole series and I don’t want to hit you with any spoiler alerts but to me he sums up the worst traits of every boss I have ever had

From emerging from his early morning swim posing in front of the cameras swanning about the Office giving the girls unwanted kisses running a multipound football club and all his facts figures and master plan written down in an old school jotter and all the time drinking coffee from his own personal nespresso coffee machine

He goes through three Managers in one season:confused:

To me he is an egomaniac talking pish to the cameras the office snake trying (quite rightly) to get players off the payroll and going the wrong way about it but the whole documentary seems to be about Martin Bain as far as he is concerned

Bain and Short almost killed that club through their mismanagement and Stewart Donald the White Knight came in in the nick of time to stop the rot.

We are spared a David Brent like “ please don’t sack me” final interview as his position is made redundant saving the club an immediate 1.25m

I agree it is hard not to like the guy I feel that he genuinely wanted what was best for the club but was at a loss as to what to do to remedy the situation when all the time the answer was staring him right in the face

Like David Brent not fit for purpose

Just my opinion it is funny how folk see things differently

I would thoroughly recommend this Documentary to anyone with time on their hands over the holiday period

GGTTH

Having watched the whole series he came across like the vast majority of senior managers at my work. Talks a good game but the slightest peek behind the curtains will reveal a jotter with no detail to back up their grand plan. In other words they get where they are by being good talkers and very little else.

The series as a whole was compulsive viewing for me and a great insight into a football team. Rodwell was that bad apple that could spoil the whole barrel. Again parallels in my work place with workers being paid twice as much on contracts as other workers, despite not contributing greatly. Youngsters doing well when given the chance and players injuries being frustrating for everyone.

One thing that came over brilliantly was the fans. So much so that I think I will try to get down there for a game, good excuse to see how Dylan is doing too. No idea if they are doing another series but it would be great to watch what happens this season as they are in a similar battle albeit for promotion this time. Anything other than promotion will feel like another relegation to them given the size of the club.

Haymaker
22-12-2018, 11:53 AM
One thing that came over brilliantly was the fans.

:agree:

SlickShoes
22-12-2018, 12:11 PM
I think Bain is quite the idiot and not fit to be chief exec of a football club. However, when he floated the idea of marketing the club to potential players, the folk working at Sunderland had never given it a thought which seems mental to me. They had just been coasting along for years using the Premier League as their selling point and as soon as they started to struggle outwith it literally no one had any idea what to do.

That first manager they had was like us under butcher, so much damage was done that it was impossible to repair and come back from.

BILLYHIBS
22-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Having watched the whole series he came across like the vast majority of senior managers at my work. Talks a good game but the slightest peek behind the curtains will reveal a jotter with no detail to back up their grand plan. In other words they get where they are by being good talkers and very little else.

The series as a whole was compulsive viewing for me and a great insight into a football team. Rodwell was that bad apple that could spoil the whole barrel. Again parallels in my work place with workers being paid twice as much on contracts as other workers, despite not contributing greatly. Youngsters doing well when given the chance and players injuries being frustrating for everyone.

One thing that came over brilliantly was the fans. So much so that I think I will try to get down there for a game, good excuse to see how Dylan is doing too. No idea if they are doing another series but it would be great to watch what happens this season as they are in a similar battle albeit for promotion this time. Anything other than promotion will feel like another relegation to them given the size of the club.

Agree!

I felt sorry for the fans they love their club

Please see my earlier posts

Smartie
22-12-2018, 01:22 PM
I went down to see Sunderland a few times last season. I've never had an English team, but when I was down in Newcastle for the weekend my Mrs and I went along to see them. AT that time I'd sort of lost track of them, I'd seen the pre-season friendly with Hibs and knew they'd been relegated but that was about it.

When I went to see them (a home defeat to Bristol City in October) they were terrible, but with their fall from grace I was sort of fascinated and went down a few times after that to follow their progress and I still keep a wee eye out for them (3/1 to win 7/3 DNB away to Pompey today btw).

It's an easy ground to get to from Edinburgh - train to Newcastle (you can get cheap tickets in advance) that takes no time, Metro to stadium of Light and it's no trouble getting a ticket - big ticket office next to the ground, sometimes they still do cash turnstiles and there isn't exactly a shortage of seats to pick from.

IMO the damage was done before the documentary, they'd been a disaster area for a while, and essentially the documentary picks them up in a similar position to when the final whistle blew on our relegation. They were actually in a half-decent position about a year before the documentary - Allardyce was in charge and they'd finished the season very strongly to pull off an unlikely escape from relegation. When Allardyce was appointed England manager and they decided David Moyes was the man to take over, that was when they were sunk. He sucked the life out of the place by being very negative about what he had at his disposal (exactly the same as Allardyce had done very well with) and was a disaster from day one. He should never have been appointed, but then should have been sacked long before he left the club

Around that time, the club were abysmally mismanaged. Ellis Short actually pumped in a fair few quid but he trusted all the wrong people to lead the club (not necessarily the managers) and they were in a horrible cycle of losing a manager every year, appointing another one, the new manager can't work with the previous one's players, succession of expensive sticking plaster type signings etc etc. Some of the financial deals on transfers were mind-bogglingly bad - Rodwell is obviously a cracker, but the Ricky Alvarez one was the best.

By the time the documentary started, Short had had enough of throwing fortunes around only for it to be wasted, so they'd started the process of trying to trim the wage bill drastically whilst keeping a competitive team on the park.

I don't think Grayson was to blame for anything. He was set up to fail, the same way Bain was set up to look like the bad guy.

Ultimately the club got into a position where it could be sold and Short wrote of colossal debt levels. They're still having to try to get a tune out of a few expensive duds (who are doing ok at League one level) but a lot of the worst offenders have now left.

I do think that dropping to the level they have has been useful - they've been able to clear the decks and start again. They've got far more honest players now, who relish being at a bigger club rather than just being there to hang onto the Premier League gravy train.

It won't be long before they're back again, and the documentaries showing that rise will be interesting, especially after such a car-crash of a start.

dp00
22-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Looking forward to watching it , the Man City one was really good

It was interesting to see just how much goes on at a big club , and what they do ...

Although not in the same style Liverpool put a lot of videos on you tube which are a good watch too

Cardinal G
22-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Another series is being filmed but Netflix haven't committed to commisioning it yet but I suspect that with all reviews to date they will pick it up.

Cardinal G
22-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Ross is doing well. Few players such as Catrernole Oviedo and McGeady remain on daft wages but to be fair they have buckled down unlike the despicable Rodwell Kone and others to mention but a few who screwed club over, granted they had contracts and guess we would be no different on a personal level if we had the contracts they were given but that just emphasised how wrong football is at the moment plus shows the club's mismanagement.
Fans to me just want a team to show passion and commitment that they show to clubs themselves.
Felt Bain was a disaster and didnt like him though show does show how his hands were tied. However it was ironic to see him virtually pleading to the camera for his job post takeover but didn't himself give a thought to those staff that he himself sacked.

Smartie
22-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Ross is doing well. Few players such as Catrernole Oviedo and McGeady remain on daft wages but to be fair they have buckled down unlike the despicable Rodwell Kone and others to mention but a few who screwed club over, granted they had contracts and guess we would be no different on a personal level if we had the contracts they were given but that just emphasised how wrong football is at the moment plus shows the club's mismanagement.
Fans to me just want a team to show passion and commitment that they show to clubs themselves.
Felt Bain was a disaster and didnt like him though show does show how his hands were tied. However it was ironic to see him virtually pleading to the camera for his job post takeover but didn't himself give a thought to those staff that he himself sacked.

I'd be surprised if he didn't give a thought to the staff he sacked. The reason he was paid what he was though was to do a billionaire's dirty work, whether he enjoyed it or carried it out without a second thought.

A friend of mine used to hold a fairly lofty position in a declining industry that involved him having to be the person who would met people face to face to lay them off. He absolutely hated it, but was able to do it. On many occasions he tried to leave because it made him miserable, but the bosses would offer him more and more to get him to stay as he was good at it, and for a while longer than was good for him he stayed. He would say to senior figures "why don't you get rid of me, on my wages you could save x number of them" but his value in being able to do this job (amongst others) was of greater value to them.

Bain will know the scores, and will have toddled off with a typically hefty pay-off.

It will be interesting to see what job offers he gets in future though. I don't think there will be much modelling work out there for him any more, and having Rangers (as they were known back then) and Sunderland on your CV won't exactly have clubs knocking your door down to work at them.

Heisenberg
22-12-2018, 02:15 PM
I thought it was brilliant. I’m sure the second series will make for good viewing as well.

H18 SFR
12-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Started watching last night because the wife was on nightshift, up early to resume watching. I could literally cry for the staff working behind the scenes who are dying inside. Not had a lump in the throat since watching Time for Heroes.

Pretty Boy
12-01-2019, 11:37 AM
I binged watched this last week.

The staff behind the scenes really are unsung heroes. They had a real passion for their club and city and did an admirable job with such an uncertain future hanging over them.

I didn't hate Martin Bain. He just came across as one of those corporate types that leave you scratching your head as to how they got as far as they did in business. The gift of the gab I suppose.

I really liked George Honeyman. He showed real passion and you could see what it meant to him to be playing for his club. His 'if I can't be better at least I'll be fitter' attitude was superb and he was the one player that showed real emotion throughout. It hurt him. I'm glad he's doing well this season in a team that is looking good for at least the play offs. He deserves it.

Off the 2 managers I felt a bit sorry for Grayson. As soon as the deal for McCormack fell through you knew he was doomed. Chris Coleman didn't sit right with me at all. He kept going on about how passionate he was and how he loved a challenge but beyond his playing to the crowd on the park I just felt he needed a rocket up his erse most of the time. Despite his words to the contrary it seemed he gave up and the players followed suit. Aiden McGeady was absolutely scathing about him after the Millwall draw whe he said they played a formation they had never used before and he never had a clue where he was meant to be playing or what his role was. He also said he was used to managers who were passionate and used to work training around solving problems they had identified . He said Coleman had them watch a video, talk for a few minutes then it was back to laughing and joking on the training pitch. It's easy to see why his club management career is bang average at best.

One interesting thing I found out from a Sunderland forum is one of the companies involved in making the show was also in negotiations to buy the club at the time so that may present some things in a different light.

Overall I enjoyed it and it will be interesting to see how things have changed in a 2nd series.

Elephant Stone
12-01-2019, 11:40 AM

The staff behind the scenes really are unsung heroes. They had a real passion for their club and city and did an admirable job with such an uncertain future hanging over them.

I didn't hate Martin Bain. He just came across as one of those corporate types that leave you scratching your head as to how they got as far as they did in business. The gift of the gab I suppose.

I really liked George Honeyman. He showed real passion and you could see what it meant to him to be playing for his club. His 'if I can't be better at least I'll be fitter' attitude was superb and he was the one player that showed real emotion throughout. It hurt him. I'm glad he's doing well this season in a team that is looking good for at least the play offs. He deserves it.

Off the 2 managers I felt a bit sorry for Grayson. As soon as the deal for McCormack fell through you knew he was doomed. Chris Coleman didn't sit right with me at all. He kept going on about how passionate he was and how he loved a challenge bit beyond his playing to the crowd on the park I just felt he needed a rocket up his erse most of the time. Despite his words to the contrary it seemed he gave up and the players followed suit. Aiden McGeady was absolutely scathing about him after the Millwall draw whe he said they played a formation they had never used before and he never had a clue where he was meant to be playing or what his role was. He also said he was used to managers who were passionate and used to work training around solving problems they had identified . He said Coleman had them watch a video, talk for a few minutes then it was back to laughing and joking on the training pitch. It's easy to see why his club management career is bang average at best.

One interesting thing I found out from a Sunderland forum is one of the companies involved in making the show was also in negotiations to buy the club at the time so that may present some things in a different light.

Overall I enjoyed it and it will be interesting to see how things have changed in a 2nd series.

Likewise, was expecting him to come across terribly after reading the comments but I thought he seemed alright. Incompetent at his job though by the look of it.

matty_f
12-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Likewise, was expecting him to come across terribly after reading the comments but I thought he seemed alright. Incompetent at his job though by the look of it.

Someone who had been promoted well beyond his ability, imho.

He looked out of his depth from the word go.

H18 SFR
12-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Bain was paid £1,243,829m a year, incredible.

The 90+2
12-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Is this available on perfect player?

Keyser Sauzee
12-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Is this available on perfect player?

Think it’s just Netflix

Keyser Sauzee
12-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Watched this during the week, thought it was fantastic. Not sure why Bain is getting so much stick, the reason for their problems was their owner. Looking forward to next series

The 90+2
12-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Think it’s just Netflix

Thanks 👍

bingo70
12-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Watched this during the week, thought it was fantastic. Not sure why Bain is getting so much stick, the reason for their problems was their owner. Looking forward to next series

I thought Bain discussing the clubs transfer strategy with a youth team coach and then ‘telling’ Grayson what it would be was quite bizarre. I’m not sure if I missed a bit that explained it but I couldn’t make sense of that.

Is there going to be a second series?

KeithTheHibby
12-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Very good documentary, looking forward to any future series.

The minute they let Lewis Grabban leave they were doomed. Chris Coleman has to take some blame in that. He was replaced by Ashley Fletcher who was a huge flop. Some pretty bad decisions too. I think they were chopping and changing their keepers regularly too? Seem to remember 3 different ones.
Years of mismanagement has resulted in them being in this position. I get the impression that bang average players were quite happy to come and play for Sunderland for pots of cash but not actually give 2 ****s about the club. Newcastle for me are pretty similar.

Wonder if it's a north east thing as in players just don't take to the place?

KeithTheHibby
12-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Aidan McGeady was also quite scathing about the management - not sure if he was talking about Grayson or Coleman however he pretty much said that even when they had been pumped when they returned to training it was all jokes like it never happened.

They do seem to be in a better place now.

Smartie
12-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Very good documentary, looking forward to any future series.

The minute they let Lewis Grabban leave they were doomed. Chris Coleman has to take some blame in that. He was replaced by Ashley Fletcher who was a huge flop. Some pretty bad decisions too. I think they were chopping and changing their keepers regularly too? Seem to remember 3 different ones.
Years of mismanagement has resulted in them being in this position. I get the impression that bang average players were quite happy to come and play for Sunderland for pots of cash but not actually give 2 ****s about the club. Newcastle for me are pretty similar.

Wonder if it's a north east thing as in players just don't take to the place?

I don't know if it came out in the documentary (I've still only seen half of it) but Fletcher was on a pretty mad deal - he plays, Sunderland pay nothing towards his wages, he doesn't play then Sunderland were due to pay his wages in full (which they couldn't afford). They therefore had to play a striker every week who was horribly out of form. The alternatives weren't plentiful but that was a pretty shocking situation to find themselves in.

For all I now have an affinity towards Sunderland I had to chuckle at the Newcastle fans singing at their game through the week "we saw you crying on Netflix."

With the recent chat re their finances - they are still carrying some players on whopping salaries. For all they're at least currently getting a tune out of them, Oviedo and Cattermole will be on crazy wages. There are still a few more, like Adam Matthews, who will be on a decent whack. Any of them leave then they've got money for a few Scott Allans with a fair bit still being saved on top.

overdrive
12-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Grayson was a pundit on BT recently and they asked him about the series. He pointed out that Coleman had significantly more games in charge that season than he did. I think the editing made it feel like Coleman was there around the same amount of time or less and that was maybe designed to elicit more sympathy for him.

Smartie
12-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Grayson was a pundit on BT recently and they asked him about the series. He pointed out that Coleman had significantly more games in charge that season than he did. I think the editing made it feel like Coleman was there around the same amount of time or less and that was maybe designed to elicit more sympathy for him.

Grayson had a summer to plan (admittedly in less than ideal circumstances) whereas Coleman inherited a shambles part way through the season.

Whilst I don't think either manager was really to blame for their problems, if either of them had managed to get their hands on an average keeper they'd have stayed up.

If they'd have stayed up I think they'd have struggled badly again this season - they've needed another relegation to get a winning habit and a bit of confidence back. Good to see that a large chunk of their fans have stuck by them too.

Lendo
12-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Watched the whole thing start to end the other weekend. Thought it was brilliant.

Pretty sure I’ll be in the minority here, but I thought Martin Bain came across quite well. Genuinely seemed to care unlike the new boys that came in at the end.

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Finished watching it recently. Great viewing although car crash material at times. Jack Rodwell came across as a nasty piece of work. Bled the club dry of money that could have been used to keep them up. Absolute hate figure for Sunderland fans still. I thought Grayson was out of his depth and Coleman needed a bad cop assistant to his good cop.

I saw Ashley Fletcher and Paddy McNair playing for Middlesbrough last Saturday. McNair cost them £5.5m but didn’t look anything special. Fletcher looked a player though.

My only real quibble was the portrayal of the fan base. Having lived down there I’d say at least 50% of their fans live in parts of County Durham outside Sunderland and this wasn’t really given any coverage at all. The passion they have for the club came across well though.

Series two should be an interesting contrast.

Allant1981
12-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Finished watching it recently. Great viewing although car crash material at times. Jack Rodwell came across as a nasty piece of work. Bled the club dry of money that could have been used to keep them up. Absolute hate figure for Sunderland fans still. I thought Grayson was out of his depth and Coleman needed a bad cop assistant to his good cop.

I saw Ashley Fletcher and Paddy McNair playing for Middlesbrough last Saturday. McNair cost them £5.5m but didn’t look anything special. Fletcher looked a player though.

My only real quibble was the portrayal of the fan base. Having lived down there I’d say at least 50% of their fans live in parts of County Durham outside Sunderland and this wasn’t really given any coverage at all. The passion they have for the club came across well though.

Series two should be an interesting contrast.

Why should he have cancelled his contract? Sunderland gave him the contract so they rightly should honour it, yes it's a lot of money but you can't blame the player in my opinion, if this was you and you were given a contract would you say, aye fire in cancel my contract so I have no money coming in, highly doubt it

tonyrougier123
12-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Grabban's attitude though??😮.I also think bain was a decent guy trying hard for them,but it all came across a bit amateurish the transfer side of it and scouting.they had ibra on there target list!!😂.

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Why should he have cancelled his contract? Sunderland gave him the contract so they rightly should honour it, yes it's a lot of money but you can't blame the player in my opinion, if this was you and you were given a contract would you say, aye fire in cancel my contract so I have no money coming in, highly doubt it

He would have got another club no bother. He was within his rights to stay but he hardly took the moral high ground bleeding the club dry.

bingo70
12-01-2019, 05:06 PM
He would have got another club no bother. He was within his rights to stay but he hardly took the moral high ground bleeding the club dry.

At the same wages though?

Probably not and it would have probably been at a significant reduction. Even a £5k a week reduction is a massive hit over a 2 year contract that I think he has left, if he was to lose £10-20k a week which is entirely possible then I can quite understand why he felt he had no choice but to sit tight.

Allant1981
12-01-2019, 05:16 PM

At 70k per week, I highly doubt it, again would you go from earning that to zero per week?

Haymaker
12-01-2019, 05:18 PM
Grabban's attitude though??😮.I also think bain was a decent guy trying hard for them,but it all came across a bit amateurish the transfer side of it and scouting.they had ibra on there target list!!😂.

Bain I thought was trying to do a very difficult job that, at points, seemed like only he knew how bad it was. The transfer bit was an example, they were looking at players they had no chance of getting and/or completely out of the budget after the relegation.

Rodwell came across as a Dick but not his fault he had that contract and the club couldn't pay him off.

Pretty Boy
12-01-2019, 05:20 PM
At the same wages though?

Probably not and it would have probably been at a significant reduction. Even a £5k a week reduction is a massive hit over a 2 year contract that I think he has left, if he was to lose £10-20k a week which is entirely possible then I can quite understand why he felt he had no choice but to sit tight.

I get what you are saying but at the same time Bain did say he had asked him outright whether he wanted to play football or whether it was about money. He said Rodwell had said it was about playing football then 3 days later he refused to cancel the contract......

It seems Sunderland were able to tear up his contract after relegation anyway so it would surely have made some senss to plan ahead and make the move to potentially help both parties. Whilst I'm sure Blackburn pay well he won't be on £70K now so he really only delayed the inevitable for 4 months pay.

wookie70
12-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Whilst I'm sure Blackburn pay well he won't be on £70K now so he really only delayed the inevitable for 4 months pay.

Or £1.2 Million ish!. That is a big wedge in the division Sunderland are in and is a big amount even offsetting his Blackburn wage for Rodwell. The contract was always going to win out for the player and it was very poor not to include a relegation clause for a club like Sunderland who flirted with the drop so often.

hibsbollah
12-01-2019, 05:29 PM

Off the 2 managers I felt a bit sorry for Grayson. As soon as the deal for McCormack fell through you knew he was doomed. Chris Coleman didn't sit right with me at all. He kept going on about how passionate he was and how he loved a challenge but beyond his playing to the crowd on the park I just felt he needed a rocket up his erse most of the time. Despite his words to the contrary it seemed he gave up and the players followed suit. Aiden McGeady was absolutely scathing about him after the Millwall draw whe he said they played a formation they had never used before and he never had a clue where he was meant to be playing or what his role was. He also said he was used to managers who were passionate and used to work training around solving problems they had identified . He said Coleman had them watch a video, talk for a few minutes then it was back to laughing and joking on the training pitch. It's easy to see why his club management career is bang average at best.

The one I liked was Johnny Williams. Very Lewis Stevenson-like in his shy, calm demeanour and just came across really well. A very good player too.

The thing about these kind of documentaries is they really get you to feel like you know the player. Williams was let go by Palace reluctantly and has now gone to Charlton, currently battling it out with Sunderland at the top of the third division (yep I'm still calling it that, sue me). I'll be keeping an eye on how he gets on.

Pretty Boy
12-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Or £1.2 Million ish!. That is a big wedge in the division Sunderland are in and is a big amount even offsetting his Blackburn wage for Rodwell. The contract was always going to win out for the player and it was very poor not to include a relegation clause for a club like Sunderland who flirted with the drop so often.

He collected wages of over £10M in his time at Sunderland (or almost £150K for each of the 67 games he played). That's before his 7 years at Everton and Man City are take into account. Players on far, far less have taken comparatively bigger hits to help clubs in need in the past.

I absolutely get he had a contract and it was Sunderlands **** up. On the flip side a wage drop was inevitable anyway and ultimately had he made a move 6 months earlier his lifestyle would have remained relatively unchanged.

bingo70
12-01-2019, 05:35 PM
The one I liked was Johnny Williams. Very Lewis Stevenson-like in his shy, calm demeanour and just came across really well. A very good player too.

The thing about these kind of documentaries is they really get you to feel like you know the player. Williams was let go by Palace reluctantly and has now gone to Charlton, currently battling it out with Sunderland at the top of the third division (yep I'm still calling it that, sue me). I'll be keeping an eye on how he gets on.

Seemed very unlike a footballer.

Thought it was a wee bit awkward when he was saying his goodbyes and one of the other players didn’t seem to know or care it was his last day. Strikes me as someone that maybe doesn’t fit in as a typical footballer.

I agree he came across really well though.

Pretty Boy
12-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Yep I liked him too.

He seemed almost verging on a loner at times. I found it quite hard to watch when he spoke about living on his own and having no one to talk too. You can see whe he sought help with his confidence issues.

SirDavidsNapper
12-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Shambles of a club. Seem to be making hard work of the English League One now too. Makes you wonder why McGeough went there. No real sympathy for them. The only two times I've encountered their support at Easter Road they were grade A roasters.

hibsbollah
12-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Yep I liked him too.

He seemed almost verging on a loner at times. I found it quite hard to watch when he spoke about living on his own and having no one to talk too. You can see whe he sought help with his confidence issues.

:agree: Hopefully he's in a better place now. Played the full 90 today in a 3-0 away win.

Jones28
12-01-2019, 05:56 PM
It was a great series, and the theme song was harrowing! A really good listen - Shipyards by the Lake Poets.

I'm sure we played them at ER just before the Celtic game that year. Hopefully they keep making the series and we get a glimpse of DM. Watching it you wonder how the hell they managed to persuade players to go.

calumhibee1
12-01-2019, 05:57 PM
It was a great series, and the theme song was harrowing! A really good listen - Shipyards by the Lake Poets.

I'm sure we played them at ER just before the Celtic game that year. Hopefully they keep making the series and we get a glimpse of DM. Watching it you wonder how the hell they managed to persuade players to go.

I don’t enjoy seeing Celtic win but I did have a wry smile that they thought they could beat the champions of Scotland by 3 or 4 to boost their confidence.. only to get their ***** handed to them 5 or 6-0 at home.

bingo70
12-01-2019, 05:59 PM

Really hope there’s a second series as I’d love to see how Jack Ross comes across.

In saying that though, if I was Jack Ross I’d insist on the cameras ****ing right off. It’s a hard enough job as it is without cameras following you and the players around.

tonyrougier123
12-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Really hope there’s a second series as I’d love to see how Jack Ross comes across.

In saying that though, if I was Jack Ross I’d insist on the cameras ****ing right off. It’s a hard enough job as it is without cameras following you and the players around.

I have to admit jack ross is a guy I really like in football just now,the job he is doing considering the state of sunderland just now is steady, and thats what they will need to weather the storm.it goes to show how much of a bubble the premier leauge is,and when you go down you really do have a fall from grace,some very big teams struggling just now.back to JR just hope he stops competing with us on the transfer front at times.

hibsbollah
12-01-2019, 06:14 PM
I have to admit jack ross is a guy I really like in football just now,the job he is doing considering the state of sunderland just now is steady, and thats what they will need to weather the storm.it goes to show how much of a bubble the premier leauge is,and when you go down you really do have a fall from grace,some very big teams struggling just now.back to JR just hope he stops competing with us on the transfer front at times.

He's also said he wants to be Scotland manager one day.

Heckys Wheel
12-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Looked to be an absolute shambles.

Never been too bothered about Sunderland as a club but while they have a Hibs Scottish Cup winning legend playing for them, I’ll be looking out for their results and wish them all the best.

Same goes for Aston Villa at the moment.

tonyrougier123
12-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Bain I thought was trying to do a very difficult job that, at points, seemed like only he knew how bad it was. The transfer bit was an example, they were looking at players they had no chance of getting and/or completely out of the budget after the relegation.

Rodwell came across as a Dick but not his fault he had that contract and the club couldn't pay him off.

The rodwell situation was cringey,u could tell he was going nowhere.and probably although injured,clearly didny fancy it,a bit piss take perhaps??anyway he eas a signing made while the cash was rolling in premiership style I think,and provides evidence of how messed up the game has become,literally being paid 70k a week to keep the physio company.clubs have no power in these situations,im no saying every plaer injured needs sacking but canny deny its no right.

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2019, 06:21 PM
At 70k per week, I highly doubt it, again would you go from earning that to zero per week?

He wouldn’t have gone to zero though would he? I can’t get upset about a player going from £70K a week to, say, £40K a week. Meanwhile hard pressed punters earning a fraction of what he earned in a week in a year plough money into the club. Morally reprehensible. In my opinion of course.

Allant1981
12-01-2019, 06:25 PM
He wouldn’t have gone to zero though would he? I can’t get upset about a player going from £70K a week to, say, £40K a week. Meanwyhard oressed punters earning a fraction of what he earned in a week in a year plough money into the club. Morally reprehensible. In my opinion of course.

If no club signed him then he would have been on zero, even taking a 40 grand per week pay cut is massive, these guys will have mortgages based on these wages, cars based on these wages,everyone's lifestyle is based on what they earn/can afford, could you afford to take an almost 50% pay cut?

tonyrougier123
12-01-2019, 06:28 PM
He wouldn’t have gone to zero though would he? I can’t get upset about a player going from £70K a week to, say, £40K a week. Meanwhile hard pressed punters earning a fraction of what he earned in a week in a year plough money into the club. Morally reprehensible. In my opinion of course.
Totally agree,he was wasny even playing either!!.it felt wrong watching it!as u say if the guy took a pay cut while the club was struggling,they could have got what they needed transfer wise to stay in the leauge.

Jones28
12-01-2019, 08:10 PM
I don’t enjoy seeing Celtic win but I did have a wry smile that they thought they could beat the champions of Scotland by 3 or 4 to boost their confidence.. only to get their ***** handed to them 5 or 6-0 at home.

I'm in the same boat mate, loved watching them get absolutely skelped - even if it was Celtic doing the skelping.

Jones28
12-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Yepp, totally agree. Imagine having a ***** time at work and then having to explain to cameras why you're having a ***** time.

With regards to Coleman, who I actually thought came across well considering the circumstances, you saw the cracks when he had the confrontation with the supporter. Although I think I'd have done the same if it was me.

BoomtownHibees
12-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Shambles of a club. Seem to be making hard work of the English League One now too. Makes you wonder why McGeough went there. No real sympathy for them. The only two times I've encountered their support at Easter Road they were grade A roasters.

5 points off top with a game in hand is hardly making hard work of the league

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2019, 08:40 PM
If no club signed him then he would have been on zero, even taking a 40 grand per week pay cut is massive, these guys will have mortgages based on these wages, cars based on these wages,everyone's lifestyle is based on what they earn/can afford, could you afford to take an almost 50% pay cut?

If I earned in a year what he earned in a week I could. Do you think what he did was right? If you do then we just have to agree to disagree. I believe there is more to life than money and have lived accordingly.

bingo70
12-01-2019, 08:43 PM
If I earned in a year what he earned in a week I could. Do you think what he did was right? If you do then we just have to agree to disagree. I believe there is more to life than money and have lived accordingly.

But you don’t know what his financial responsibilities are so you can’t say what he should or shouldn’t have done.

There’s a ridiculous percentage of footballers that go bankrupt after they retire from the game as the lifestyle they lead during their playing careers is so expensive to maintain.

SirDavidsNapper
12-01-2019, 09:55 PM
5 points off top with a game in hand is hardly making hard work of the league

The form guide has them 12th over the last 6 games. They're certainly making hard work of it.

Allant1981
12-01-2019, 10:02 PM

But you don't so can't ever say what you would do, and yes I think he was right

Frogga
12-01-2019, 11:57 PM
I don't have a problem with what Rodwell did. If a company offers you a certain amount of money then that's their fault, not your's. I thought Bain was out of order for criticising Rodwell the way he did - would he have left if he was in Rodwell's position? No chance.

If they felt he wasn't trying to make himself available to play then they should've sacked him.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Smartie
13-01-2019, 01:32 AM
I don't have a problem with Rodwell refusing to budge on his contract.

I have a big problem with what he was prepared to do for his £70k per week. The guy has zero integrity and is a work shy waster.

He's lucky to have managed to get any job in football after Sunderland and if English football wasn't in such a bloated state, awash with money and desperate clubs then he would surely have found his reputation toxic and one that no credible club would be prepared to touch.

I'd hoped he'd land up at Sevco tbh. They're a perfect match.

superfurryhibby
13-01-2019, 09:10 AM

It wasn’t right, but some people have no morals, they are 100% mercenary in their approach. Rodwell is a prime example of why I sometimes hate what football has become.

But you don’t know what his financial responsibilities are so you can’t say what he should or shouldn’t have done.

There’s a ridiculous percentage of footballers that go bankrupt after they retire from the game as the lifestyle they lead during their playing careers is so expensive to maintain.

He can say, because it’s a discussion and I would add a huge boo hoo to dafties that squander that kind of dosh because of their lifestyle. I know most are uneducated and insulated from the reality of the outside world from an early age, but an ounce of common sense would help you navigate the pitfalls.

Baader
13-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Rodwell drained them of £12M during his time there. A club that by the end was on its knees. I'm surprised he could live around the area and that any club would touch him after that. Ultimately its the clubs fault though. Not inserting a relegation clause in a Premier League contract is just gross mismanagement.

Allant1981
13-01-2019, 10:18 AM
It wasn’t right, but some people have no morals, they are 100% mercenary in their approach. Rodwell is a prime example of why I sometimes hate what football has become.

He can say, because it’s a discussion and I would add a huge boo hoo to dafties that squander that kind of dosh because of their lifestyle. I know most are uneducated and insulated from the reality of the outside world from an early age, but an ounce of common sense would help you navigate the pitfalls.

What utter rubbish, there are numerous multi millionaires that have lost everything due to bad business moved or whatever, to suggest they lose it due to being uneducated is just Ill informed nonsense

A company I know of has just went bust because they lost a few big contracts, company owner lost a lot of money because of it, he is most definitely not a "daftie"

SirDavidsNapper
13-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Easy for me to say as i don't have all the temptations 70k a week would bring but why would EPL footballers just not choose to live a moderately normal lifestyle? If my work offered me 70k a week I'd happily continues to live where i am, pay my mortgage off after a couple of weeks and maybe build a wee extension and garage for my motor. Set for life after a year. I really don't understand the lavish lifestyle these lads want to live. Crazy how some become bankrupt but like i said, easy for me to say.

BILLYHIBS
13-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Has certainly divided opinion on this thread

I would thoroughly recommend this Netflix documentary to anyone who has not made the time to watch it

An excellent watch

superfurryhibby
13-01-2019, 10:24 AM
What utter rubbish, there are numerous multi millionaires that have lost everything due to bad business moved or whatever, to suggest they lose it due to being uneducated is just Ill informed nonsense

A company I know of has just went bust because they lost a few big contracts, company owner lost a lot of money because of it, he is most definitely not a "daftie"

Reign in your outrage tonto, I’m referring to footballers who squander their cash through ill advised lifestyle choices. This is a football forum, not a critique of soneone you knows business decisions:nlgwa

Allant1981
13-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Reign in your outrage tonto, I’m referring to footballers who squander their cash through ill advised lifestyle choices. This is a football forum, not a critique of soneone you knows business decisions:nlgwa

Thanks I didnt know that, and many footballers also have business interests outside football so again not all are "dafties" who squander their money

superfurryhibby
13-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Thanks I didnt know that, and many footballers also have business interests outside football so again not all are "dafties" who squander their money

The clue is reading what you quote before posting?

Not really sure what your point is, but I agree, not all footballers are daft or squander their money, not sure anyone has said anything to the contrary about that though?

Allant1981
13-01-2019, 10:51 AM
The clue is reading what you quote before posting?

Not really sure what your point is, but I agree, not all footballers are daft or squander their money, not sure anyone has said anything to the contrary about that though?

I obviously picked you up wrong then when you implied you would have no sympathy for people losing money due to their lifestyle and that they were mostly uneducated

Pretty Boy
13-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Easy for me to say as i don't have all the temptations 70k a week would bring but why would EPL footballers just not choose to live a moderately normal lifestyle? If my work offered me 70k a week I'd happily continues to live where i am, pay my mortgage off after a couple of weeks and maybe build a wee extension and garage for my motor. Set for life after a year. I really don't understand the lavish lifestyle these lads want to live. Crazy how some become bankrupt but like i said, easy for me to say.

I remember when David James was decalred bankrupt he admitted he never wore a pair of trainers more than once. He literally had a new pair for every day; it's not unrealistic to think he was spending over £1000 a week on trainers.

Whilst £1000 is a drop in the ocean with the money he was likely earning it does leave you questioning what other spending habits he had and how widespread that wasteful attitude is.

H18 SFR
13-01-2019, 12:29 PM
I remember when David James was decalred bankrupt he admitted he never wore a pair of trainers more than once. He literally had a new pair for every day; it's not unrealistic to think he was spending over £1000 a week on trainers.

Whilst £1000 is a drop in the ocean with the money he was likely earning it does leave you questioning what other spending habits he had and how widespread that wasteful attitude is.

Christ, I try for a pair a year lol

SirDavidsNapper
13-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Exactly. The ammount of money some of them must squander on things like that. It's a short career that could end at any time through injury. You'd think they'd be better advised by their their clubs. Maybe they are and choose to ignore it who knows.

Diclonius
13-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Apparently they're still filming and there will be a second season.

number9dream
13-01-2019, 01:31 PM
It really is a fantastic programme. Sunderland must have signed up thinking it was going to document their triumphant return but what we get is the perfect storm of footballing misery. Even though you know what’s going to happen, it’s compelling viewing. A fascinating look behind the scenes that also captures the complete lunacy of being a fan. One of my favourite scenes was the guy at home listening on the radio and his range of emotions...

SirDavidsNapper
13-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Apparently they're still filming and there will be a second season.

Yup

tonyrougier123
13-01-2019, 10:16 PM
I don't have a problem with what Rodwell did. If a company offers you a certain amount of money then that's their fault, not your's. I thought Bain was out of order for criticising Rodwell the way he did - would he have left if he was in Rodwell's position? No chance.

If they felt he wasn't trying to make himself available to play then they should've sacked him.

I could never be alright with what rodwell was doing,highlighted all that iis wrong in modern football!!players and agents hold all the aces nowadays, and unfortunately its detrimental to the game.

Callum_62
13-01-2019, 11:15 PM

Wonder if Bain offered to take a massive pay cut?

[emoji3166]

Clarence
14-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Coleman wasn’t perfect but McGeady really is a torn faced disaster. As an experienced player you’d think he’d have enough gumption to ask the manager about the position if he didn’t know what he was doing. Came across as a spoilt brat incapable of shouldering responsibility.

Smartie
14-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Coleman wasn’t perfect but McGeady really is a torn faced disaster. As an experienced player you’d think he’d have enough gumption to ask the manager about the position if he didn’t know what he was doing. Came across as a spoilt brat incapable of shouldering responsibility.

McGeady had done very well for Grayson at Preston, so he was basically Grayson's man.

When his buddy was punted after only a few months McGeady didn't take it very well and was always unlikely to respond badly to Coleman.

McGeady was guff last season and Sunderland got very little in return for what they were paying him/ paying for him.

Seemingly he's giving them much more this season, he gets on ok with Jack Ross.

His is still quite a big wage though (one that Grayson was able to secure) that they wouldn't be too disappointed to see the back of.

JimBHibees
14-01-2019, 04:18 PM

:faf::faf: That is brilliant and a little disturbing at the same time, absolute bubble of a lifestyle.

JimBHibees
14-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Wonder if Bain offered to take a massive pay cut?

[emoji3166]

No doubt living off his EBT,

Frogga
14-01-2019, 08:04 PM
If you're working for a company and they offer you a certain wage but then change their mind because of their own financial mismanagement then would you suddenly agree to cut your salary?

Football fans seem to think that players should treat their club in some kind of special regard because it's football. Jack Rodwell was employed by Sunderland, he wasn't a fan and didn't hold any other obligation while he was there. Why should he be bullied into leaving a contract that the club were reckless enough to give him in the first place? Fingers should have been pointed at management, not Rodwell.

As I say, if he wasn't working hard enough then sack him for breach of contract.

Bishop Hibee
14-01-2019, 08:44 PM
If you're working for a company and they offer you a certain wage but then change their mind because of their own financial mismanagement then would you suddenly agree to cut your salary?

Football fans seem to think that players should treat their club in some kind of special regard because it's football. Jack Rodwell was employed by Sunderland, he wasn't a fan and didn't hold any other obligation while he was there. Why should he be bullied into leaving a contract that the club were reckless enough to give him in the first place? Fingers should have been pointed at management, not Rodwell.

As I say, if he wasn't working hard enough then sack him for breach of contract.

It's not like a normal company though is it? I can't believe the people on here who think what Rodwell did was morally justified. Folk would be going radge if a Hibs player did similar. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if i'd done what he did. Shameless.

Heckys Wheel
14-01-2019, 08:53 PM
It's not like a normal company though is it? I can't believe the people on here who think what Rodwell did was morally justified. Folk would be going radge if a Hibs player did similar. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if i'd done what he did. Shameless.

What? Seeing out his contract?

BoomtownHibees
14-01-2019, 09:26 PM

For him and other players it’s exactly the same as a normal company, his place of employment, and he is entitled to the pay that was agreed. Not many would accept a reduction from their workplace so I don’t see why footballers should

Jones28
14-01-2019, 10:49 PM

But £70,000 a week though? I think it's the numbers that are making people, myself included, feel that Rodwell should be ashamed of himself.

KDY Hibs
15-01-2019, 04:03 PM
I felt more sorry for the chefs!

Renton1875
15-01-2019, 05:46 PM
But £70,000 a week though? I think it's the numbers that are making people, myself included, feel that Rodwell should be ashamed of himself.

It's probably somewhere between the two but it's when you see club staff talking about redundancies if they get relegated and when these folk will take 2 or 3 years to earn what Rodwell was earning in a week that it paints a poor picture.

It was also mentioned that the £70k a week would have paid the wages of 4 free transfers. Whether Sunderland would have been able to attract players that would have helped them stay up is another matter.

I think most of us would like to think that we'd do the 'decent' thing if we were in Rodwell's position but we'll never be in a position to find out! I'm sure he'd make a good case for why he decided to stay at that point.

Smartie
15-01-2019, 06:51 PM
It's probably somewhere between the two but it's when you see club staff talking about redundancies if they get relegated and when these folk will take 2 or 3 years to earn what Rodwell was earning in a week that it paints a poor picture.

It was also mentioned that the £70k a week would have paid the wages of 4 free transfers. Whether Sunderland would have been able to attract players that would have helped them stay up is another matter.

I think most of us would like to think that we'd do the 'decent' thing if we were in Rodwell's position but we'll never be in a position to find out! I'm sure he'd make a good case for why he decided to stay at that point.

It's also when you see what the various people brought to their roles. The staff to be axed were doing everything asked of them, and often the club was a huge part of their life.

Rodwell was at it, he was working his ticket, he was putting in the absolute bare minimum to ensure he was able to pick up his wage. The guy is a work-shy waster and a disgrace to the footballing profession.

Folk like him (as much as unscrupulous business owners) are the reason we need unions and shuffle billions of pounds the way of HR folk, employment lawyers etc and he's the enemy of honest workers everywhere.

If he had the balls to go out and do his best on a Saturday afternoon - even if it was pish - then he's worth what his contract says, and the situation is somebody else's fault. Instead he chose to turn up, go through the motions through the week and cry sick every Friday.

The man is a disgrace and should have been black-balled by the footballing community.

erin go bragh
15-01-2019, 08:10 PM

The guy came across as a fin parasite . No morals whatsoever.
Surprised the fans never turned on him .
Great watch tho .

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2019, 08:25 PM
:bye:

Eh! Was Rodwell not doing what Scotty Allan is doing at Celtic except on a grander scale?

Time For Heroes
15-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Could it be that Rodwell had bonuses attached for making a set number of appearances etc?
Truth is, none of us know the whole story

Smartie
15-01-2019, 10:44 PM
The guy came across as a fin parasite . No morals whatsoever.
Surprised the fans never turned on him .
Great watch tho .

The fans did turn on him big time.

He didn't make an appearance after September, 2 appearances all season iirc.

If they'd played him at any point during the second half of that season they might have lynched him.

The only mitigating circumstances I could find acceptable would be if he'd ended up with a genuine mental illness through it all. No matter how much you earn, mental illness is mental illness.

Jones28
16-01-2019, 08:50 AM

It makes it worse when you read about redundancies for club staff, most of whom are died in the wool Sunderland supporters.

Auckland Hibs
30-01-2019, 04:48 AM
Just finished the series today and can’t wait for the next installment.

I didn’t think Bain came out too bad TBH, he seemed out his depth but he had a tough job with limited money. I thought Coleman came across pretty well, the fans, players and staff obviously liked him because they all seemed pretty cut up when he left.

Really felt for the fans and club staff at the end of the season.

Steve-O
30-01-2019, 05:15 AM

While that is fair enough, I may have missed in the doco why he wasn't even playing. He is fit, correct?

Hibrandenburg
10-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Just listening to the dialect makes me cringe and brings me out in a cold sweat. I'm only watching because I'm gonna see Mackems in pain and anguish.

andyf5
11-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Just finished the series today and can’t wait for the next installment.

I didn’t think Bain came out too bad TBH, he seemed out his depth but he had a tough job with limited money. I thought Coleman came across pretty well, the fans, players and staff obviously liked him because they all seemed pretty cut up when he left.

Really felt for the fans and club staff at the end of the season.

Coleman got a hard time in the last episode from one fan. I felt he had an impossible job but he came across well.