PDA

View Full Version : Game in doubt?

Diclonius
14-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Yellow warning of snow and amber warning of ice in place in the central belt over the weekend - possible fans could get stranded/pitch will be unplayable?

bingo70
14-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Yellow warning of snow and amber warning of ice in place in the central belt over the weekend - possible fans could get stranded/pitch will be unplayable?

Not for a yellow warning.

Think the forecast is for a bit snow during the night but not enough for it to lie.

Ryan69
14-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Is that not what Undersoil heating is for?

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 01:29 PM
It would have to be higher than a yellow warning.

I've never known a game to be cancelled because of Yellow Snow.

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Is that not what Undersoil heating is for?

underfoot conditions on surrounding streets don't have undersoil heating, health and safety and all that

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2018, 01:31 PM

I've never known a game to be cancelled because of Yellow Snow.

hope no one ever thinks of eating it either, just sayin likes

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 01:37 PM
underfoot conditions on surrounding streets don't have undersoil heating, health and safety and all that

So get some Skis!

Bl**dy Snowflakes!

WhileTheChief..
14-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Game in doubt cause it’s a bit chilly in Scotland in December?

Aye ok then.

Fuzzywuzzy
14-12-2018, 01:42 PM
I can remember tha game against them last December felt about -6!! Cracking game though. We should have ended their run in the last few minutes of that game!

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2018, 01:43 PM
So get some Skis!

Bl**dy Snowflakes!

snowflakes are for the holy ground forum :eyes:

lapsedhibee
14-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Man/woman/non-binary up, ffs!

calumhibee1
14-12-2018, 02:05 PM
I can remember tha game against them last December felt about -6!! Cracking game though. We should have ended their run in the last few minutes of that game!

Was that the one when Boyata had an incredible block from Shaw with the last kick of the game?

Aim Here
14-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Was that the one when Boyata had an incredible block from Shaw with the last kick of the game?

Wasn't it Lustig with that block? Boyata had an eventful game too, though - a second yellow for a foul on McGeough just outside the box, then goes on to nearly score, then made a really good tackle on Stokesy (IIRC).

SouthMoroccoStu
14-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Did they not call off a game at Easter Road about 2011/2012 because of the surrounding streets conditions?

The pitch was absolutely fine

Radium
14-12-2018, 02:22 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181214/3a0c97fa64d71088e1f9dc8ffb6cdfa5.jpg

Can’t see there being an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tynie01011973
14-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Wasn't it Lustig with that block? Boyata had an eventful game too, though - a second yellow for a foul on McGeough just outside the box, then goes on to nearly score, then made a really good tackle on Stokesy (IIRC).

It was Lustig that stopped Shaw from scoring a winner

PatHead
14-12-2018, 03:49 PM

I've never known a game to be cancelled because of Yellow Snow. Would be a right pisser if it was.

Ryan69
14-12-2018, 04:18 PM

If travelling from Inverness or Aberdeen...I'd understand.
From Glasgow is a well used gritted route.

Albanian Hibs
14-12-2018, 04:54 PM

🤣 called off because of a couple of hailstones

SingaporeHibs
14-12-2018, 04:57 PM
If this is even close to serious then Scottish Football needs to take a good Long hard look at itself. We haven’t spent a fortune on under soil heating to call a game off at a little bit of weather.

we are hibs
14-12-2018, 05:28 PM
If this is even close to serious then Scottish Football needs to take a good Long hard look at itself. We haven’t spent a fortune on under soil heating to call a game off at a little bit of weather.

Games can be called off because of the streets surrounding the ground being deemed unsafe.

SingaporeHibs
14-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Games can be called off because of the streets surrounding the ground being deemed unsafe.

Seriously mate, there is weather that makes transport impossible (consider safety) and there is just normal winter weather. Normal winter weather is not a game changer. We could argue all day Long about what is or isn’t normal weather but please don’t let’s worry about this type of forecast. Call me old fashioned but omg, the world is going nuts

Hermit Crab
14-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Amber warnings as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46563872

superfurryhibby
14-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Last year v Huns (1-2) game. The underfoot conditions on the streets around the stadium were treacherous. My pal fell and dislocated his knee, also tearing ligaments into the bargain. He said whilst waiting for medical attention someone else fell and sustained a head injury. Meanwhile I had turned down South Clair St and halfway down was an auld boy, guys helping him but looking incapacitated, and no through the bevvy....buckin carnage.

That was a disgrace and the council should have known there would be 20000 people at the game, no gritting of pavements at all.

Just saying, but.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Last year v Huns (1-2) game. The underfoot conditions on the streets around the stadium were treacherous. My pal fell and dislocated his knee, also tearing ligaments into the bargain. He said whilst waiting for medical attention someone else fell and sustained a head injury. Meanwhile I had turned down South Clair St and halfway down was an auld boy, guys helping him but looking incapacitated, and no through the bevvy....buckin carnage.

That was a disgrace and the council should have known there would be 20000 people at the game, no gritting of pavements at all.

Just saying, but.

Blame the Yam Cooncil!

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Man/woman/non-binary up, ffs!

:greengrin

Did they not call off a game at Easter Road about 2011/2012 because of the surrounding streets conditions?

The pitch was absolutely fine

seriously mate my memory is goosed, maybe if it was just 6 weeks ago i would remember..but not 6 years sorry :(

Just saying, but.

i can't remember which game it was but it was a night game and St Clair St was indeed atrocious, i remember posting on here after the game that an older woman had went a burton between the kerb and car and she took a right sore one, the pavement was a freakin disgrace :agree:

Lago
14-12-2018, 06:57 PM

If you believe BBC Scotland we face Armageddon.

Rocky
14-12-2018, 07:08 PM

Just saying, but.

Even Leith Walk was treacherous that night

davym7062
14-12-2018, 07:21 PM

They don’t close the shops if it’s slippy outside

Hibernia&Alba
14-12-2018, 08:18 PM
I love winter fitba :agree:

Hi Heid Yin
14-12-2018, 10:32 PM
I love winter fitba :agree:

Me to.

I recall a game at ER in the winter of 1973 (Dec 22nd) against Morton...a 5-0 thrashing....The Tornadoes in their prime...The snow was falling and the pitch was a winter wonderland...O'Rourke slid the ball past the advancing keeper towards a gaping and undefended goal-mouth, the ball started at pace and slowed to a snails pace in the clinging snow, barely creeping over the line...It was one of those "will it, won't it, make it over the line?" moments that remains fresh in my memory - despite the passing of 45 years! A huge cheer went up all around the ground from the hard-core and hardy 5,000 Hibs support who had braved the freezing weather and made the trek to Easter Road.

Crowds fluctuated at ER that season....our next home game on New years day 1974 drew 35,000 against The Jambos .....and 48,000 against Celtic in February!!...Prior to the Morton game, 36,000 poured through the ER gates as Leeds United (then considered Britains greatest side) came calling in an unforgettable European night under the lights..........and this Hibby was there!!

Hi Heid Yin
14-12-2018, 10:37 PM
They don’t close the shops if it’s slippy outside

but how many shops expect 20,000 customers to be slipping and sliding their way to them for their loaf of bread, their paper and their milk?
:wink:

Mick O'Rourke
14-12-2018, 10:49 PM
but how many shops expect 20,000 customers to be slipping and sliding their way to them for their loaf of bread, their paper and their milk?

Tesco Corstorphine, maybe :wink:

Rain, hail ,ice or snaw,the toon will be heaving this weekend wae Christmas shoppers.

Need tae tell the grandbairns they cannae take their sledge up tae clerry hill this winter if its too icy

heretoday
14-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Me to.

I recall a game at ER in the winter of 1973 (Dec 22nd) against Morton...a 5-0 thrashing....The Tornadoes in their prime...The snow was falling and the pitch was a winter wonderland...O'Rourke slid the ball past the advancing keeper towards a gaping and undefended goal-mouth, the ball started at pace and slowed to a snails pace in the clinging snow, barely creeping over the line...It was one of those "will it, won't it, make it over the line?" moments that remains fresh in my memory - despite the passing of 45 years! A huge cheer went up all around the ground from the hard-core and hardy 5,000 Hibs support who had braved the freezing weather and made the trek to Easter Road.

Crowds fluctuated at ER that season....our next home game on New years day 1974 drew 35,000 against The Jambos .....and 48,000 against Celtic in February!!...Prior to the Morton game, 36,000 poured through the ER gates as Leeds United (then considered Britains greatest side) came calling in an unforgettable European night under the lights..........and this Hibby was there!!

Great stuff. I like your old school reportage too. Leeds "came calling"! You don't get that any more.

Hi Heid Yin
14-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Tesco Corstorphine, maybe :wink:

Rain, hail ,ice or snaw,the toon will be heaving this weekend wae Christmas shoppers.

Need tae tell the grandbairns they cannae take their sledge up tae clerry hill this winter if its too icy

:tee hee::tee hee:

Hi Heid Yin
14-12-2018, 11:09 PM
Great stuff. I like your old school reportage too. Leeds "came calling"! You don't get that any more.

An old dog like me cannae change its ways!

Mick O'Rourke
14-12-2018, 11:20 PM
An old dog like me cannae change its ways!

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end

TTs feared no team.

Shame it didn't all last longer .:boo hoo:

On winter pitches.
Could you imagine telling Sloop or Shades that the pitch is too hard or bumpy.
We canne huv ye hurting yersel,noo !

Happy Days!
Stuff yer Elfin Safety !!

Hi Heid Yin
14-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
TTs feared no team
Shame it didn't all last longer

On winter pitches.
Could you imagine telling Sloop or Shades that the pitch is too hard or bumpy.
We canne huv ye hurting yersel,noo !

Happy Days!
Stuff yer Elfin Safety !!

In those days Sloop and Shades helped the ground staff clear pitch lines by getting down on their hands and knees and eating the snow and ice ...It was part of their pre match warm up.

In those days men were men and heided footballs that were heavier and more compact than cannon balls.

Turnbull himself skied his way through blizzards on match days, repelling polar bear attacks on the way, and expected nothing less from his Tornadoes.

In those days glaciers ran the length and breadth of Easter Road, but that didn't deter any Hibby...They simply thawed the damn thing with their alcohol-wreakin breath.

No namby-pamby Polis in those days calling games off because of a few wee flakes falling from the sky.

Tell youngsters all this and they simply won't believe you!

Hi Heid Yin
15-12-2018, 01:10 AM
So get some Skis!

Bl**dy Snowflakes!

:tee hee::tee hee:

monktonharp
15-12-2018, 01:21 AM

The pitch was absolutely finePossibly, but after Brexit we'll no longer have the niceties of games called off , we'll just have to shuffle along to the match with extra coats/scarfs/and probably underware passed down from our grandparents unless the americans can work out a save us deal at the last minute .might all be different next year.

bingo70
15-12-2018, 10:19 AM
No chance of the game being off but if it’s as cold tomorrow as it is today then it could be a miserable couple of hours if not dressed accordingly.

Where’s DBS with his winter fashion advice?

heretoday
15-12-2018, 10:27 AM
I hope it's postponed. I'm coming down with a heavy cold.

Hermit Crab
15-12-2018, 03:49 PM
So much for this bad snow and ice...

Famous Fiver
15-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Micro climate report.

Sunshine on Leith.

Miserable as sin in Gorgie.

staunchhibby
15-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Dark day in Gorgie lol.

AugustaHibs
15-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Not looking good now

PatHead
15-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Hoping it is postponed. I am at a friggin wedding tomorrow and will miss it.

Keith_M
15-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Hoping it is postponed. I am at a friggin wedding tomorrow and will miss it.

Going by the ticket sales, there's a lot of people at weddings tomorrow.

Billy Whizz
15-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Not looking good now

It’s fine in West Edinburgh just now, just wet
Forecast for tomorrow is sunny and around 5 degrees

PatHead
15-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Going by the ticket sales, there's a lot of people at weddings tomorrow.

Better clarify it is not my own wedding in case my wife reads this 😁

Hibees1973
15-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Me to.

Leeds United. My dad (who is a Jambo) said he took me to Easter Road a few times before the Leeds game, but this is the first Hibs game I remember being at. I was seven.

History proves that this was a legendary Leeds team and I remember standing on the big terracing watching this game. Obviously cannot remember specific things about the game, but if I could be transported back to watch in full any Hibs game it would be this one. I was at the final in 2016 and can watch it anytime but the Leeds game is the one I would see again.

At this time the Tornadoes were competing and winning against some of the best in Europe.

May seem negative but this will never happen again.

Albanian Hibs
15-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Not looking good now

Where about?

Hermit Crab
15-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Just cold and wet in Musselburgh.

Pretty Boy
15-12-2018, 10:38 PM
I've been out and about most of the night. There was a wee bit sleet earlier and the wind is biting. However it's actually fairly mild (car temperarure was showing 3 degrees) and it's not forecast to dip below freezing overnight. It's expected to be about 4 degrees overnight and about the same at kick off.

The game will be on

LustForLeith
15-12-2018, 10:40 PM
Don’t games get called off in Scotland not cause of the weather affecting the pitch but the condictions around the stadium? The Hibs and Rangers game last December was brutal it it still went ahead

theonlywayisup
15-12-2018, 10:45 PM
Not looking good now

Where about?

Maybe he's just looking in the mirror.

Joking,......

Hi Heid Yin
15-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Leeds United. My dad (who is a Jambo) said he took me to Easter Road a few times before the Leeds game, but this is the first Hibs game I remember being at. I was seven.

History proves that this was a legendary Leeds team and I remember standing on the big terracing watching this game. Obviously cannot remember specific things about the game, but if I could be transported back to watch in full any Hibs game it would be this one. I was at the final in 2016 and can watch it anytime but the Leeds game is the one I would see again.

At this time the Tornadoes were competing and winning against some of the best in Europe.

May seem negative but this will never happen again.

And there's every chance you might have seen a 15 year old boy with his dad staring right back at you from the old wooden stand.

The atmosphere under the flood lights was electric and the admiration for that leeds United side, containing so many greats like Bremner, was fierce - even though I was a staunch Hibby.

It was a night of high drama, with every conceivable emotion running through not just me but every Hibby. The Tornadoes stormed and peppered the Leeds goalmouth for what seemed like the bulk of the game and it seemed only a matter of time before we would hit the back of the net...but wee Billy Bremner orchestrated his side like the maestro he was and somehow, somehow, Leeds survived and took us to those dreaded penalties...The rest is history....
The sheer draining emotional roller coaster left me feeling bewildered, exasperated, tearful and proud of our boys for what they showed a watching football world over 2 legs - That this Hibs side could hold its own against a world class Leeds United.
The Tornadoes just happened to have ran parralel with the greatest Scottish team in history - Jock Stein's Celtic...and but for the Parkhead club, I'm absolutely convinced that Hibs would have been League champions and Scottish Cup winners..

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-11-1973%20Hibernian%20v%20LUFC_files/image031.jpg

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-11-1973%20Hibernian%20v%20LUFC_files/image010.jpg

3pm
15-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Just cold and wet in Musselburgh.

Just wait til winter...

JimBHibees
15-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Not looking good now

Can't see there being a problem.

hfc rd
16-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Been much worser conditions than this. It’s just windy, wet and the winter cold kicking in which is expected during this time of the year.

The game will go ahead and rightly so.

monktonharp
16-12-2018, 12:24 AM
And there's every chance you might have seen a 15 year old boy with his dad staring right back at you from the old wooden stand.

The atmosphere under the flood lights was electric and the admiration for that leeds United side, containing so many greats like Bremner, was fierce - even though I was a staunch Hibby.

It was a night of high drama, with every conceivable emotion running through not just me but every Hibby. The Tornadoes stormed and peppered the Leeds goalmouth for what seemed like the bulk of the game and it seemed only a matter of time before we would hit the back of the net...but wee Billy Bremner orchestrated his side like the maestro he was and somehow, somehow, Leeds survived and took us to those dreaded penalties...The rest is history....
The sheer draining emotional roller coaster left me feeling bewildered, exasperated, tearful and proud of our boys for what they showed a watching football world over 2 legs - That this Hibs side could hold its own against a world class Leeds United.
The Tornadoes just happened to have ran parralel with the greatest Scottish team in history - Jock Stein's Celtic...and but for the Parkhead club, I'm absolutely convinced that Hibs would have been League champions and Scottish Cup winners..

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-11-1973%20Hibernian%20v%20LUFC_files/image031.jpg

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/07-11-1973%20Hibernian%20v%20LUFC_files/image010.jpgmy exact thoughts over that period and that team, that sadly only received the League cup. we skelped Leeds nil nil before it too.

Hi Heid Yin
16-12-2018, 01:00 AM
my exact thoughts over that period and that team, that sadly only received the League cup. we skelped Leeds nil nil before it too.

It was Sloop himself that said the Tornadoes "underachieved" in terms of trophies.

Mind you, I got every bit as much satisfaction from those 2 Dryborough Cup wins as I did The League Cup.

Aways good to converse with a fellow Hibby who also witnessed that 70s team.:aok:

kaimendhibs
16-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Trip to and from work on Lang Wang was scary tonight. See how things are in morning before I travel

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

IanM
16-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Stay on Easter road. It’s as cold as you’d expect for a December morning at 7am but roads are fine. Roadworks on London road close to the top of Easter road and roadworks Montrose terrace. Apart from that an easy 3 points the day but it’ll be a cold yin

Famous Fiver
16-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Snow gone, Ice gone,it's not slippy, forecast for showers.

Tumbleweed in Gorgie, take care.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2018, 08:35 AM
Approximately 4 degrees just now on my thermometer I have outside my house. It will be baltic but no way will the game be off.

offshorehibby
16-12-2018, 09:58 AM
A fine day down Easter Road this morning when i went for rolls and papers. Winter Sun is shining and fresh.

Hibees1973
16-12-2018, 10:41 AM
It was Sloop himself that said the Tornadoes "underachieved" in terms of trophies.

Mind you, I got every bit as much satisfaction from those 2 Dryborough Cup wins as I did The League Cup.

Aways good to converse with a fellow Hibby who also witnessed that 70s team.:aok:

Yes. Looking back it is a bit disappointing that the Tornadoes did not gather up trophies similar in number to the Aberdeen side in the 80’s but Hibs in the early to mid 70’s were a great side.

Isn’t nostalgia great!

chrisski33
16-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Ffs drama over nothing.

bingo70
16-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Ffs drama over nothing.

Tbf there wasn’t really much of a drama.

There were weather reports suggesting it could be bad weather today so I can see why the op started the thread. The game was never going to be in any danger though.