PDA

View Full Version : What if christmas day fell on a saturday?

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 06:26 AM
WHAT IF CHRISTMAS DAY FELL ON A SATURDAY?

It was very much an old English tradition playing football on Christmas Day but just say Christmas Day fell on a Saturday would Hibernian Football Club play the fixture or would the SPFL leave it up to the individual clubs to decide?

Would the fact that the match was to be played on Christmas Day lead to an increased or a decreased attendance?

I remember growing up in the sixties and every Christmas Day my father having to go out to work as Christmas Day was not a holiday in Scotland

The world of course has changed

In 1965 HIBS played an away fixture at Aberdeen on Christmas Day and won 3-1 Pat Stanton said he was amazed at the number of Hibees in the 9500 crowd given the poor transport options back then

Back in 1971 HIBS played their last game on Christmas Day losing to Rangers 0-1 in front of a 25000 crowd at Easter Road.

To many HIBS fans it would have been an opportunity to get out of the house and blow away the cobwebs an escape from Christmas TV but would the women folk put up with it nowadays?

You also have the added problem of poor transport Sunday service and the often inclement weather.

Growing up in Scotland it was tradition in our family on New Years Day that the men folk went to the fitba and then back to my grans in Dalry for Steak Pie.

I still remember with great fondness rushing back to her house after the 7-0 game and the whole family huddled around the black and white telly waiting on the highlights coming on at 7.00 pm.

It was the first of January 1973 the day the UK joined the European Union.

So what about it?

Would you attend a match on Christmas Day or would you rather keep that as a day to be spent with friends and family?

I exclude this December from the debate as the December schedule is an absolute joke :greengrin

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/when-scottish-football-played-on-christmas-day-1-3639773

calumhibee1
14-12-2018, 06:32 AM

It was very much an old English tradition playing football on Christmas Day but just say Christmas Day fell on a Saturday would Hibernian Football Club play the fixture or would the SPFL leave it up to the individual clubs to decide?

Would the fact that the match was to be played on Christmas Day lead to an increased or a decreased attendance?

I remember growing up in the sixties and every Christmas Day my father having to go out to work as Christmas Day was not a holiday in Scotland

In 1965 HIBS played an away fixture at Aberdeen on Christmas Day and won 3-1 Pat Stanton said he was amazed at the number of Hibees in the 9500 crowd given the poor transport options back then

Back in 1971 HIBS played their last game on Christmas Day losing to Rangers 0-1 in front of a 25000 crowd at Easter Road.

To many HIBS fans it would have been an opportunity to get out of the house and blow away the cobwebs an escape from Christmas TV but would the women folk put up with it nowadays?

You also have the added problem of poor transport Sunday service and the often inclement weather.

Growing up in Scotland it was tradition in our family on New Years Day that the men folk went to the fitba and then back to my grans in Dalry for Steak Pie.

I still remember with great fondness rushing back to her house after the 7-0 game and the whole family huddled around the black and white telly waiting on the highlights coming on at 7.00 pm.

So what about it?

Would you attend a match on Christmas Day or would you rather keep that as a day to be spent with friends and family?

I exclude this December from the debate as the December schedule is an absolute joke :greengrin

If Hibs had a game on Christmas Day there’s no way I’d be there. I’d suspect that most folk would be the same.

I can’t see it ever being something we return to!

Gloucester Hibs
14-12-2018, 06:45 AM
Mind we had a game on Christmas Eve a couple of seasons back, even that felt a bit weird.

theonlywayisup
14-12-2018, 06:47 AM
I was also thinking about this a few days ago and asking myself "when was the last time we played on Christmas Day". So thanks for answering that question.

I also remember my Dad saying that Christmas Day was a working day, unless it landed on the Sabbath, even into the 70s.

I suppose in the past that maybe more football fans stayed locally and didn't need to rely on public transport. There was probably nothing on TV, for those lucky enough to have a TV. I recall my Dad saying that they didn't have electricity until the mid to late sixties, so getting out to watch a game would have been a good thing to do with your mates. In my early years, Christmas Day was largely spent listening to my parents and aunts/uncles talking about the hot topics of the day. I'm sure for the working man, an escape to watch the football would have been a good distraction.

Today, I'm not sure as many would go to watch football on Christmas Day. For me, I would much rather a game on Boxing Day.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2018, 06:55 AM
My dad and grandad would take me to the game, while my mother was at home cooking the dinner.

Proper football in them days. :wink:

Jay
14-12-2018, 07:22 AM
Would the women folk put up with it these days?

Seriously?

andy1875
14-12-2018, 07:22 AM
I remember we played Falkirk away on Hogmanay 2/3 years ago (Kris Commons freekick winner)

I remember thinking that felt a little odd and I don’t recall playing on that day before. I may be wrong...

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Seriously?

Apologies Mrs S
I know not very PC
I am stuck in the seventies
Just as well my Mrs won’t read this as she is a Jambo
Apologies once again I did think it was so wrong when I was typing it but was half asleep
No excuse I know 😁

Jay
14-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Apologies Mrs S
I know not very PC
I am stuck in the seventies
Just as well my Mrs won’t read this as she is a Jambo
Apologies once again I did think it was so wrong when I was typing it but was half asleep
No excuse I know 😁

Its okay. I was just a bit peeved i wasnt getting to the game too :boo hoo:

Peevemor
14-12-2018, 07:49 AM
I remember when Hibs played Man Utd. in a hastily arranged friendly in 1981 (Willie Jamieson came off the bench to score in a 1-1 draw). It was played on boxing day and being only 14 at the time I was surprised that I was allowed/able to go as we always had a second Christmas dinner that day (with different family members).

It was a Saturday but I can't remember if there were other matches scheduled. Even if there was they weren't played due to the weather and the highlights of the match were shown on TV - very unusual for a friendly.

Newry Hibs
14-12-2018, 07:52 AM

Well you wouldn't - not with all that washing up to do!

scoopyboy
14-12-2018, 07:52 AM
I remember when Hibs played Man Utd. in a hastily arranged friendly in 1981 (Willie Jamieson came of the bench to score in a 1-1 draw). It was played on boxing day and being only 14 at the time I was surprised that I was allowed/able to go as we always had a second Christmas dinner that day (with different family members).

It was a Saturday but I can't remember if there were other matches scheduled. Even if there was they weren't played due to the weather and the highlights of the match were shown on TV - very unusual for a friendly.

Remember that, it was about the only game played in Britain that day.

Undersoil heating meant we could play it, Scotsport showed the game the next day IIRC.

Newry Hibs
14-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Conversely - New Years Day wasn't a holiday in England back then. My Dad would celebrate New Years in England and somehow struggle into work on the first - only to be sent home again out of pity!

Peevemor
14-12-2018, 07:55 AM

Undersoil heating meant we could play it, Scotsport showed the game the next day IIRC.

Yes, I remember now. Would there have been a full card scheduled for the 27th which was a Sunday?

Future17
14-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I've not been to many games this season but would make a special effort for Christmas Day. Any excuse to get out the house.

Jay
14-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Well you wouldn't - not with all that washing up to do!

Evidently :greengrin

Carheenlea
14-12-2018, 08:48 AM

Seriously?

In modern times, it’s less about would the women folk put up with it, but more would a famiy man seriously think disappearing from their wife and kids on Christmas Day to go to the football was a reasonable thing to do?
Christmas has evolved into something now that bears no resemblance to the ones of the past where it was still a working day and football still took place when it fell in a Saturday. Mind you, I’ll be in Galway with in-laws from my wife’s family of 10, so if asked the same question again about 3pm on Christmas Day my answer may well be very different..:greengrin

Jay
14-12-2018, 09:13 AM
In modern times, it’s less about would the women folk put up with it, but more would a famiy man seriously think disappearing from their wife and kids on Christmas Day to go to the football was a reasonable thing to do?
Christmas has evolved into something now that bears no resemblance to the ones of the past where it was still a working day and football still took place when it fell in a Saturday. Mind you, I’ll be in Galway with in-laws from my wife’s family of 10, so if asked the same question again about 3pm on Christmas Day my answer may well be very different..:greengrin

I did think about the men too but didnt want to turn it into a huge debate. Seems to be going that way anyway.

Theres as many single dads, dads who will do the cooking or just dads who wouldnt dream of not being with their families on xmas day as there as woman these days thankfully. Just as theres many women who would want to be included in the possibility of going to a game. Personally i wouldnt be there, not because id be too busy doing the dishes but because its probably the only day of the year when the whole family commit to being together and just having a laugh without anywhere we need to rush to or anything else that needs done. Its just about us.

MB62
14-12-2018, 09:54 AM
I did think about the men too but didnt want to turn it into a huge debate. Seems to be going that way anyway.

There's as many single dads, dads who will do the cooking or just dads who wouldn't dream of not being with their families on xmas day as there as woman these days thankfully. Just as there's many women who would want to be included in the possibility of going to a game. Personally i wouldn't be there, not because id be too busy doing the dishes but because its probably the only day of the year when the whole family commit to being together and just having a laugh without anywhere we need to rush to or anything else that needs done. Its just about us.

And of course, there's a considerable percentage of females who would be getting the Hibs scarf and tops out and heading up to Easter Road for the game too. How many kids will receive Hibs tops etc for presents on Christmas day and would be absolutely delighted to be wearing their new attire to a game that day?

Maybe one day, by law of averages, sooner or later, Christmas day is going to fall on a Saturday, Shirley! :wink: :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Seriously?

Mrs S could you please do me a small favour and tidy up my header title and lose the wthe after the question mark.

I don’t know what happened perhaps a slip of the finger

Thanking you in anticipation :greengrin

mim
14-12-2018, 10:19 AM
There is a bit of confusion on this thread about Christmas holidays in Scotland.
Christmas day has been a public holiday since the 1950's.
Boxing day became a holiday much later.
That may be what folk are remembering.

Jay
14-12-2018, 10:28 AM
And of course, there's a considerable percentage of females who would be getting the Hibs scarf and tops out and heading up to Easter Road for the game too. How many kids will receive Hibs tops etc for presents on Christmas day and would be absolutely delighted to be wearing their new attire to a game that day?

Maybe one day, by law of averages, sooner or later, Christmas day is going to fall on a Saturday, Shirley! :wink: :greengrin

I did say in my post that there were plenty of women who would go. I actually hate these male/female debates if im honest. Im gonna go gender neutral :greengrin

Apologies for turning it into something it wasnt meant to be

Jay
14-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Mrs S could you please do me a small favour and tidy up my header title and lose the wthe after the question mark.

I don’t know what happened perhaps a slip of the finger

Thanking you in anticipation :greengrin

Managed to fit it in inbetween scrubbing the floors and doing the dishes :na na:

:greengrin

scoopyboy
14-12-2018, 10:45 AM
There is a bit of confusion on this thread about Christmas holidays in Scotland.

When I was an infant my dad was a joiner.

I can clearly remember opening my presents before 7 then my dad would go to his work and finish at around noon.

So half day in early sixties.

green with envy
14-12-2018, 10:47 AM

I remember the old terracing in parts covered in snow/ice and the path between upper & lower terracing being like an ice rink.

I ended up in the cowshed during that game and remember getting crushed when Jaimeson scored after tripping over between the seats.

calumhibee1
14-12-2018, 10:47 AM

1958 it became a public holiday I’m sure. Heard it on the forth one quiz yesterday :greengrin

Jamesie
14-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Mind we had a game on Christmas Eve a couple of seasons back, even that felt a bit weird.

IIRC kickoff was brought forward to 13:00 to let everyone get home earlier.

eastterrace
14-12-2018, 11:12 AM
IIRC kickoff was brought forward to 13:00 to let everyone get home earlier.

Remember the game well we pummelled them for 90mins and McCoy saved them and then they scored last minute goal think it was Colin stein.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 11:15 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/when-scottish-football-played-on-christmas-day-1-3639773

Interesting link on the very same subject if it works

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Managed to fit it in inbetween scrubbing the floors and doing the dishes :na na:

:thumbsup:

Bobo
14-12-2018, 11:26 AM
I remember when Hibs played Man Utd. in a hastily arranged friendly in 1981 (Willie Jamieson came off the bench to score in a 1-1 draw). It was played on boxing day and being only 14 at the time I was surprised that I was allowed/able to go as we always had a second Christmas dinner that day (with different family members).

Brief highlights of the goals here, but pretty poor quality unfortunately :

https://youtu.be/G3YU85Z1nJc

lapsedhibee
14-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Remember the game well we pummelled them for 90mins and McCoy saved them and then they scored last minute goal think it was Colin stein.

Yep, complete travesty of a result that day.

Hibby70
14-12-2018, 11:38 AM
I did say in my post that there were plenty of women who would go. I actually hate these male/female debates if im honest. Im gonna go gender neutral :greengrin

Apologies for turning it into something it wasnt meant to be

Next they'll be letting wimmen play darts the way the world's going.

Kojock
14-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Remember late 70s Hibs played Ayr Utd at ER on Christmas Eve, think it was one of the lowest ever crowds. Freezing cold and a terrible game which Hibs won 1-0.
Just checked game was played 24/12/1976 and it finished 0-0 in front of 3875 spectators

The Pointer
14-12-2018, 11:52 AM
I remember excusing myself half way through Christmas dinner in 1971 which really hacked off my folks. It was a long trip down from Fairmilehead with hardly any buses. I wouldn't do that now.

Kojock
14-12-2018, 11:52 AM
When I was an infant my dad was a joiner.

I can clearly remember opening my presents before 7 then my dad would go to his work and finish at around noon.

So half day in early sixties.

Worked many a Christmas day, day shift wasn't too bad as we finished at 3pm. Backshift and night shift were a nightmare tho.

The Pointer
14-12-2018, 11:56 AM

That's just reminded me. I got punched in the mouth by a Hun after the game while walking along Albion Road which lead to a lifelong hatred of them.

One Day
14-12-2018, 12:04 PM
1958 it became a public holiday I’m sure. Heard it on the forth one quiz yesterday :greengrin

Boxing day only became a public holiday in Scotland, (officially), in 1974

One Day
14-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Remember late 70s Hibs played Ayr Utd at ER on Christmas Eve, think it was one of the lowest ever crowds. Freezing cold and a terrible game which Hibs won 1-0.
Just checked game was played 24/12/1976 and it finished 0-0 in front of 3875 spectators

I was at that game, was freezing

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 12:27 PM

You're not allowed to go.

Apparently, you have to stay at home and cook the Xmas dinner for the 'menfolk'.

Jay
14-12-2018, 01:11 PM
You're not allowed to go.

Apparently, you have to stay at home and cook the Xmas dinner for the 'menfolk'.

And thankfully thats exactly what I will be doing. Going home and cooking dinner for my four boys with a bottle of wine open beside me and the xmas tunes on.

Fanforlife
14-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Yep, complete travesty of a result that day. spot on m8.I was with a well Kent jambo,s brother that day who unfortunately got nicked and spent the xmas period in the high street cells,poor guy!!!!😁.on a side note I'm sure st.johnstone humped us 2 5 on a xmas day game at Easter Road mid/late 60,s.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 01:52 PM
And thankfully thats exactly what I will be doing. Going home and cooking dinner for my four boys with a bottle of wine open beside me and the xmas tunes on.

Anything nice, Mrs S?

Jay
14-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Anything nice, Mrs S?

Im a traditional old bird :greengrin Turkey with all the trimmings.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Im a traditional old bird :greengrin Turkey with all the trimmings.

That is so sexist!

:tsk tsk:

Jay
14-12-2018, 02:13 PM
That is so sexist!

:tsk tsk:

I'm changing my name to genderneutral.S Im starting to get these fluid people after all.

wookie70
14-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Brief highlights of the goals here, but pretty poor quality unfortunately :

https://youtu.be/G3YU85Z1nJc

I recognise more of the Man Utd players that day than I would watching them today. It was a great game to brag about when every other pitch was frozen.

Corstorphine Hibby
14-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Christmas was considered to be a Catholic feast which John Knox wasn't too keen on back in Reformation times, therefore he effectively ' banned ' the celebration. It's one of the reasons New Year is a bigger do in Scotland than Christmas historically.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 02:42 PM
I'm changing my name to genderneutral.S Im starting to get these fluid people after all.

My wife just refers to herself as "An Auld Bat" and doesn't care what anybody thinks.

Mind, she is East German, so nobody in their right mind would dare argue with her (think Angel Merkel, only scarier)

Billy Whizz
14-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Think the last game in Xmas day in Scotland was Clydebank v St Mirren in 1976. Big crowd as well

https://spfl.co.uk/news/from-the-archives-christmas-day-football

Liam978
14-12-2018, 05:33 PM

You were right the first time, 1-0 a Fillipi own goal.

Peevemor
14-12-2018, 05:46 PM
You were right the first time, 1-0 a Fillipi own goal.Fillipin' lucky then?

Cheshire Hibby
14-12-2018, 05:50 PM

I was there. Hibs absolutely should have won on Christmas Day 1971. If memory serves, Rangers goal came from a corner with Stein not really knowing too much about it and so late in the game that no time to get an equaliser.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 05:51 PM
29/12/2012
HIBERNIAN 1 v 0 CELTIC
(Griffiths)
Absolutely ****ing Baltic!
More of the same on Sunday boys!
Get well soon Leigh!

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2018, 06:03 PM

i was just a wee laddie so only vaguely remember some of the game, was that colin steins first game back at ER after joining the glasgow team ? scored down the coo shed end

Liam978
14-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Fillipin' lucky then?

HaHa nice one, the old man was at the game and wishes he had've thought of that whilst thawing out in the pub afterwards. As seemingly they were indeed lucky.

Kojock
14-12-2018, 06:10 PM
You were right the first time, 1-0 a Fillipi own goal.

I thought that but Wiki has it as 0-0.

Liam978
14-12-2018, 06:22 PM
I thought that but Wiki has it as 0-0.

Yeah I saw that too, but with my Dad being so adamant ( no puns this time Peevemor HaHa ) I checked on the Historical trust for the 1976 season. It was a Friday evening kick off.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 06:42 PM
fitbastats.com has it 1-0 HIBS fillipi og Friday night game 3500

Kojock
14-12-2018, 07:53 PM
fitbastats.com has it 1-0 HIBS fillipi og Friday night game 3500

I remember being at the game slightly under the influence with my mate who was home on leave from the army. We stood at the rear of the old Coo Shed (by then seated enclosure) singing our heads off.

HibbyDave
14-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Pretty sure I remember playing the huns at ER on Xmas day I. The 70’s. We lost 0-1 with a late goal I think.

BILLYHIBS
14-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Pretty sure I remember playing the huns at ER on Xmas day I. The 70’s. We lost 0-1 with a late goal I think.
We pummelled them for ninety minutes Colin Stein last minute don’t think he knew a lot about it too late to stage a fight back

snedzuk
14-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Christmas sucks the big one - much rather be watching the hibees - bah humbug.

bournehibby
14-12-2018, 09:10 PM
spot on m8.I was with a well Kent jambo,s brother that day who unfortunately got nicked and spent the xmas period in the high street cells,poor guy!!!!😁.on a side note I'm sure st.johnstone humped us 2 5 on a xmas day game at Easter Road mid/late 60,s.
That was Christmas Eve 1966. Great day for me - got my jotters at work, split with burd, and froze my nuts off watching that ! IIRC there was also an Alex. Ferguson playing for Saints. may be wrong though.
bh

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2018, 09:57 AM
That was Christmas Eve 1966. Great day for me - got my jotters at work, split with burd, and froze my nuts off watching that ! IIRC there was also an Alex. Ferguson playing for Saints. may be wrong though.
bh
Naw Fergie had moved oan to Dunfermline by then St Johnstone’s goals Whitelaw x 3 Alex Macdonald and Willie Coburn
HIBS ORourke and Stevenson

H18 SFR
15-12-2018, 10:11 AM

I will be in wexford with mine, hope yours is better than I expect 😂😂😂

Iggy Pope
15-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Amongst the first games I attended. Got taken by my old man and my uncle and then back to the hoose for a big family dinner. The goal came off Steins backside.

Hibbyradge
15-12-2018, 01:13 PM

I remember that game well.

Coincidentally, I was telling someone about it the other day. My mates and me went into Tipplers that night ( or it might have been the next day) and we saw Willie Jamieson playing the fruit machine.

"Well done against Man United, Willie".

"Goal a game'll do me boys". :hilarious

greenlex
15-12-2018, 01:38 PM
I remember we played Falkirk away on Hogmanay 2/3 years ago (Kris Commons freekick winner)

I remember thinking that felt a little odd and I don’t recall playing on that day before. I may be wrong...
I had a Christmas tree in the back of my car that day. All the way to Falkirk then home. Long but true story.

Iggy Pope
15-12-2018, 02:33 PM
I remember that game well.

Coincidentally, I was telling someone about it the other day. My mates and me went into Tipplers that night ( or it might have been the next day) and we saw Willie Jamieson playing the fruit machine.

"Well done against Man United, Willie".

"Goal a game'll do me boys". :hilarious

Bread Street? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
15-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Bread Street? :greengrin

Yep. Before it became a strip joint. It was owned by John Lambie, I think.

Edit: It was John Fraser.

Iggy Pope
15-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Yep. Before it became a strip joint. It was owned by John Lambie, I think.

Edit: It was John Fraser.

Very same. Handy for Mr Sweeney?

Hibbyradge
15-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Very same. Handy for Mr Sweeney?

Very. Weren't you at a party upstairs with us once?

bournehibby
15-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Naw Fergie had moved oan to Dunfermline by then St Johnstone’s goals Whitelaw x 3 Alex Macdonald and Willie Coburn
HIBS ORourke and Stevenson
Ah yes, thanks for that Billy :aok: hopefully manage to forget the other sh@te over the next 50 years :wink:
bh

Iggy Pope
15-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Very. Weren't you at a party upstairs with us once?

I was. Impressionable lad, easily led.:wink:

brog
15-12-2018, 03:25 PM
I saw us win 3 1 at Aberdeen on Xmas day 1965. I remember Big Bad John McNamee scoring with a towering header & for some reason getting home about 7am on Boxing Day!

Famous Fiver
15-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Christmas Day arrived early for me this year.

Last night in fact. GIRUY Jambos!!!

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2018, 04:28 PM
i saw us win 3 1 at aberdeen on xmas day 1965. I remember big bad john mcnamee scoring with a towering header & for some reason getting home about 7am on boxing day!

They shall not pass!

Bishop Hibee
15-12-2018, 05:47 PM
It was the norm for there to be a Boxing Day game. I remembers Hibs v Rangers on Boxing Day when Tortolano scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Boy dressed in a Santa suit which was unusual back then got lifted from the Hun end. A laddie in front of us in the East Terrace says “ look dad they’re arresting Santa.” Without missing a beat dad replied “ That’s not the real Santa son. Santa’s not a Protestant.” Ah the eighties!!!

Peevemor
15-12-2018, 06:01 PM
It was the norm for there to be a Boxing Day game. I remembers Hibs v Rangers on Boxing Day when Tortolano scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Boy dressed in a Santa suit which was unusual back then got lifted from the Hun end. A laddie in front of us in the East Terrace says “ look dad they’re arresting Santa.” Without missing a beat dad replied “ That’s not the real Santa son. Santa’s not a Protestant.” Ah the eighties!!!That wasn't boxing day, it was on 21/12/85.

Cheshire Hibby
15-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Amongst the first games I attended. Got taken by my old man and my uncle and then back to the hoose for a big family dinner. The goal came off Steins backside.

Steins goal did indeed come off his backside.

JonnyHibees
15-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Christmas day last fell on a saturday in 2010. It was skipped in 2016 due to the leap year and will next occur in 2021.

We lost 2-1 at home to Aberdeen in 2010 on sunday the 26th. I remember there was a smaller than average Aberdeen support at the game due to the trains not running.

Xmas day also fell on a saturday in 2004, 1999 and 1993. We played on the bank holiday monday 27th on these occasions, winning 4-1 at tannadice in 04, drawing 2-2 with killie in 99 and beating partick thistle 5-1 in 93.

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Christmas day last fell on a saturday in 2010. It was skipped in 2016 due to the leap year and will next occur in 2021.

We lost 2-1 at home to Aberdeen in 2010 on sunday the 26th. I remember there was a smaller than average Aberdeen support at the game due to the trains not running.

Xmas day also fell on a saturday in 2004, 1999 and 1993. We played on the bank holiday monday 27th on these occasions, winning 4-1 at tannadice in 04, drawing 2-2 with killie in 99 and beating partick thistle 5-1 in 93.
Remember travelling up to Tanadiche the day after Boxing Day 2004 a big HIBS support and that was definitely a case of getting out of the house to get rid of the cobwebs as me and my oldest laddie made our sharp exit and it was not to be a wasted journey treated to the delights and amazing skills of Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks as we ran out easy 4-1 winners against a hopeless Arabs side the downside was it was the day after the Boxing Day Tsunami

superfurryhibby
15-12-2018, 10:44 PM
Christmas......GTF.

monktonharp
15-12-2018, 10:59 PM

So what about it?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/when-scottish-football-played-on-christmas-day-1-3639773I'd have no problem going to a home xmas day match. the family would object though as that day has been so Englasised over the years. It is a great family day, and I enjoy it but is different in so many ways nowadays. our New Year day has also changed so much. not so many chappin' the doors at a minute after midnight, lots more lights off before midnight. I like New Year when the bells come in. canny beat a decent greetin' match thinking of auld family, friends and folk in Canada etc.

southsider
16-12-2018, 08:18 AM
bh

My first Hibs game. Interesting to note that Xmas day was a working day in Scotland then. Only holidays here were 1st & 2nd of Jan.

Ray_
16-12-2018, 08:42 AM

So what about it?

I went to the 1971 game and noway I would have missed it.

Eyrie
16-12-2018, 09:24 AM
A game on Christmas Day might be fun for us as fans but I doubt that those expected to work at Easter Road that day would share that view.