PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull Hibernian

theonlywayisup
13-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Would you be happy if Red Bull bought Hibs and pumped money into the club.

Hypothetical question, of course.

hibs#1
13-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Money yes. Change of name,identity etc absolutely not.

jacomo
13-12-2018, 08:46 PM
This was discussed on here recently and I think the majority verdict was ‘no’. Not for me either.

Red Bull don’t put in the money for nothing. Hibs as we know it would die.

Keith_M
13-12-2018, 08:50 PM
This was discussed on here recently and I think the majority verdict was ‘no’. Not for me either.

Red Bull don’t put in the money for nothing. Hibs as we know it would die.

Actually, it's been discussed on here at least five times before....

and the answer is always the same.

BILLYHIBS
13-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Actually, it's been discussed on here at least five times before....

and the answer is always the same.

Yip! I picked a brilliant team the only player I kept was Lewis and I got shot down in flames 😂

givescotlandfreedom
13-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Plastic glorified advertisements? No thanks

Diclonius
13-12-2018, 09:03 PM
I would never go back to Easter Road (or the Red Bull Arena as it would be renamed) if we were taken over by Red Bull.

**** that.

Hibbyradge
13-12-2018, 09:05 PM
What about Monster?

https://goo.gl/images/b7icTX

Onceinawhile
13-12-2018, 09:06 PM
No.

whiskas
13-12-2018, 09:16 PM
I could just about tolerate Red Bull Hibernian but I draw the line if we start being referred to as a franchise

theonlywayisup
13-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Hadn't realised it had been discussed before.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?334851-Red-Bull-Hibernian&p=5585608#post5585608

I'll close thread later. Doesn't seem to be an option on my Kindle.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Minus the name change, is is really any different from how Manchester City have achieved success with beautiful football?

The Green Goblin
13-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Never.

weecounty hibby
13-12-2018, 09:27 PM
What do the Salzburg or Leipzig fans think about it?

Since90+2
13-12-2018, 09:30 PM
I could just about tolerate Red Bull Hibernian but I draw the line if we start being referred to as a franchise

It would be Red Bull Edinburgh.

Since90+2
13-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Minus the name change, is is really any different from how Manchester City have achieved success with beautiful football?

Atleast Man City play in the same colours and have kept their original name. We would become Red Bull Edinburgh and no longer play in Green so it would be a massive difference.

CMurdoch
13-12-2018, 09:34 PM
Red Bull have ruined the Austrians league.
11 average teams and a monster.
RB Saltzberg 14 points ahead of their nearest challengers this season and are unbeaten.

Remarkably the monster only averaged 7,600 supporters at their home games last season!

Billy Whizz
13-12-2018, 09:36 PM
RB Saltzberg 14 points ahead of their nearest challengers this season and are unbeaten.

Remarkably the monster only averaged 7,600 supporters at their home games last season!

What’s their player budget

The 90+2
13-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Yep. Go for it. RB Hibernian. Keep our colours the turmoil the rest of the league would be in would be amazing.

The 90+2
13-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Pretty sure their two teams just pumped our two biggest clubs. Hardly ruined. They have much more money and much better players as shown in both games this evening. I would be delighted if we had a packed Easter Road skelping everyone basing on anyone’s money.

The 90+2
13-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Pretty sure their two teams just pumped our two biggest clubs. Hardly ruined. They have much more money and much better players as shown in both games this evening. I would be delighted if we had a packed Easter Road skelping everyone basing on anyone’s money.

Apart from Mercer’s.

Hibbyradge
13-12-2018, 09:47 PM

Have you seen the French league?

weecounty hibby
13-12-2018, 09:50 PM
And Spain, Holland, Germany, Italy and even England, and lets not forget Scotland!

CMurdoch
13-12-2018, 09:50 PM
What’s their player budget

Don't know but it must be massive.
The quality of their players tonight was frightening.

There are only 2 other Austrian team who had larger average home attendances than them last season.
Sturm Graz at just over 10,000 and Rapid Vienna at 18,800 which isn't much more than Hibs and Hearts.
A football apathetic country. Why did Red Bull to put their money into it?

CMurdoch
13-12-2018, 09:56 PM

At least the French league is well supported by fans but i agree PSG basically being owned by a country with what appears infinite wealth is making their league pointless for other teams.

jacomo
13-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Don't know but it must be massive.
The quality of their players tonight was frightening.

There are only 2 other Austrian team who had larger average home attendances than them last season.
Sturm Graz at just over 10,000 and Rapid Vienna at 18,800 which isn't much more than Hibs and Hearts.
A football apathetic country. Why did Red Bull to put their money into it?

Because they are from Salzburg

LancsHibs
13-12-2018, 10:05 PM

A lot of their fans stopped going when taken over by RB. RB changed their name, their badge and worst of all their historic and famous violet jerseys.
A Phoenix club has been formed and is making its way up the Austrian league system

CMurdoch
13-12-2018, 10:05 PM
And Spain, Holland, Germany, Italy and even England, and lets not forget Scotland!

The poster above you added the French league to your list of the Spanish, Dutch, Italian, German and English leagues.
It is no coincidence that these are the 6 best supported 1st tier leagues in Europe hence the reason that countries, companies and the uber rich want to have clubs in these leagues.
Strangely Scotland is the 7th best supported top league in Europe but none of the aforementioned are chucking money into our teams.
What i find strange is Red Bull putting their money into a club in a country that by the match attendances is apathetic towards football.

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2018, 10:10 PM
The poster above you added the French league to your list of the Spanish, Dutch, Italian, German and English leagues.
It is no coincidence that these are the 6 best supported 1st tier leagues in Europe hence the reason that countries, companies and the uber rich want to have clubs in these leagues.
Strangely Scotland is the 7th best supported top league in Europe but none of the aforementioned are chucking money into our teams.
What i find strange is Red Bull putting their money into a club in a country that by the match attendances is apathetic towards football.They are an Austrian company.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
13-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Because they are from Salzburg

Yeah, i looked it up and see their headquarters is in a small village close to Salzberg.
What would Mozart have made of it all?

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Yeah, i looked it up and see their headquarters is in a small village close to Salzberg.
What would Mozart have made of it all?It would have rocked him, Amadeus.

Chuck Rhoades
13-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Absolutely ****ing not.

CMurdoch
13-12-2018, 10:22 PM
A lot of their fans stopped going when taken over by RB. RB changed their name, their badge and worst of all their historic and famous violet jerseys.
A Phoenix club has been formed and is making its way up the Austrian league system

I see their poor fans got another kicking after fighting their way through all the small leagues to the main leagues with the Phoenix club:
In the 2014–15 season, the club was promoted to the First League, the second tier of Austrian football, by winning the Regionalliga West, after a change in the rules that see an automatic promotion place for one of the Regionalligas being rotated each season.
"The promotion to the First League forced the club into debt of €900,000 by November 2015, caused by an increased budget for the players as well as a security requirement to holding certain home games without spectators. The club indicated it was willing to sell up to 51 percent of its ownership of the team to an investor, as long as the its name, colours and crest would not be altered, but the Austrian Bundesliga announced that the sale of a majority of the team would be violating the league's rules. Due to breach of league licence, in November 2015 they were fined €40,000 and had 6 points deducted. This was due to their failure to adhere to the league's stadium requirements".

Talk about standing on the good guys!

Cameron1875
13-12-2018, 10:26 PM
No chance. Fake clubs sponsored by a s****y company.

It makes our wins more rewarding when we are struggling anyway ;)

CMurdoch
13-12-2018, 10:26 PM
It would have rocked him, Amadeus.

At least he still has his chocolates.
They are brilliant, melt on the tongue.
Wolfiechocs.

superbam
14-12-2018, 12:07 AM
cant believe some folk would even consider this. I'd be supporting the original hibernian even if we were playing on leith links, **** the red bull franchise *****

DetroitHibs
14-12-2018, 04:42 AM
A big no for me. Our great club is steeped in history, **** letting these parasites tear away our identity.

Heckys Wheel
14-12-2018, 05:31 AM
I’d happily take their money if it meant some success at the club. They can call us whatever they want for all I care.

Out of interest, what makes Red Bull parasites or these other clubs “fake clubs” or “plastic”?

Since90+2
14-12-2018, 06:09 AM
I’d happily take their money if it meant some success at the club. They can call us whatever they want for all I care.

Out of interest, what makes Red Bull parasites or these other clubs “fake clubs” or “plastic”?

If they changed our badge ,name and club colours it wouldn't be the same club. Which is exactly what they'd do.

Heckys Wheel
14-12-2018, 06:39 AM
If they changed our badge ,name and club colours it wouldn't be the same club. Which is exactly what they'd do.

It would be the same club though wouldn’t it. Just with different aesthetics.

However, assuming we’re only talking about naming rights, still wear green, maybe add the RB onto the badge.

RB buying naming rights as advertising doesn’t make them parasites. Nor does it make a club plastic.

Since90+2
14-12-2018, 06:48 AM

However, assuming we’re only talking about naming rights, still wear green, maybe add the RB onto the badge.

RB buying naming rights as advertising doesn’t make them parasites. Nor does it make a club plastic.

All their "franchises" wear the colours of the red bull brand. I highly doubt they would make an exception and let us wear green. The club badge is exactly the same for all clubs with the only difference being which city they play in is at the bottom.

Thankfully you are very much in the minority. I support Hibs because of its traditions , it's colours , it's name and the history linked to it , the very real and close historic links to Edinburgh and Leith and a sense of community togetherness not for success on the park .

Pretty Boy
14-12-2018, 06:49 AM

Red Bull don't just buy naming rights as advertising though. They change a clubs name,, it's badge, it's colours and it's stadium name.

Personally I'd rather watch Hibs huff and puff and win nothing for the rest of my life than watch RB Edinburgh running out in red, white and blue at the Red Bull Arena. Any claim on the history of Hibernian FC would be a false one and I'm sure the inevitable phoenix club would agree.

Northernhibee
14-12-2018, 07:41 AM
What if it was 7 Up?

LancsHibs
14-12-2018, 08:02 AM
What if it was 7 Up?

The 7UP arena? I like it:faf:

Antifa Hibs
14-12-2018, 08:05 AM
ChazD if your idea of supporting a football club is purely for success and trophies get a Celtic season ticket or get down to the Etihad 5-6 times a season.

You'll get more respect for doing that than you would for supporting some pishy red bull franchise.

Cabbage East
14-12-2018, 08:15 AM
I'll pass thanks.

Hibs1969
14-12-2018, 08:33 AM
We’d become nothing more than another branch of a glorified franchise. They do to football clubs what the Americans do to baseball teams and use them as their personal playthings. A big no from me.

jacomo
14-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Atleast Man City play in the same colours and have kept their original name. We would become Red Bull Edinburgh and no longer play in Green so it would be a massive difference.

Man City are living the dream in many ways. They have had enormous investment, the best facilities, the best players, the best manager.

But they have become a franchise club - the sky blue franchise fc of a Qatari investment fund.

I don’t believe their victories taste as sweet as ours. They could never approach the emotion of 2016, no matter how many trophies they win.

Heckys Wheel
14-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Man City are living the dream in many ways. They have had enormous investment, the best facilities, the best players, the best manager.

But they have become a franchise club - the sky blue franchise fc of a Qatari investment fund.

I don’t believe their victories taste as sweet as ours. They could never approach the emotion of 2016, no matter how many trophies they win.

There are very few clubs left in the world with as bad a record that would make such a win as sweet as ours.

I can’t agree with the idea of winning less because when it comes around it tastes sweeter.

Since90+2
14-12-2018, 10:43 AM
There are very few clubs left in the world with as bad a record that would make such a win as sweet as ours.

I can’t agree with the idea of winning less because when it comes around it tastes sweeter.

At what point does it not become Hibs though? We would no longer be called Hibernian, we would play in red white and blue, our crest would be changed , our stadium would no longer be called Easter Road.

It would not be Hibs as we all know it.

CMurdoch
14-12-2018, 11:50 AM
The 7UP arena? I like it:faf:

Is that not across the city?

CMurdoch
14-12-2018, 12:14 PM
All their "franchises" wear the colours of the red bull brand. I highly doubt they would make an exception and let us wear green. The club badge is exactly the same for all clubs with the only difference being which city they play in is at the bottom.

Thankfully you are very much in the minority. I support Hibs because of its traditions , it's colours , it's name and the history linked to it , the very real and close historic links to Edinburgh and Leith and a sense of community togetherness not for success on the park .

You hit the nail on the head.
I think most Hibs supporters continue to support the club because it is a part of them.
The strip, the colours, the ground and the real links to the community throughout our lives.
It is our club.

Lose those things and we would be nothing more than customers of a soulless corporation.

It's good to think about Hibs in that way especially when the club are on a bad run like we are at the moment.
Enjoy the journey on your own lovingly constructed train.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 12:20 PM
These are just a sample of the Red Bull franchise teams. In the case of football clubs, they all play in the same strip (with a minor name change here and there)

Ice Hockey
Red Bull Munich
EC Red Bull Salzburg

Basketball
Red Bull Barako (now defunct)

Racing
Red Bull Racing (F1)
Red Bull Racing Team (NASCAR)
Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda

Football
New York Red Bulls
FC Red Bull Salzburg
RB Leipzig (they wanted Red Bull Leipzig but the DFB said no)
Red Bull Brasil
Red Bull Ghana (now defunct)

Would you really want to add Red Bull Edinburgh, playing in the exact same White, Red and Yellow strip, with the Red Bull Badge, at the Red Bull Arena?

where'stheslope
14-12-2018, 02:05 PM
If your honest about a big company coming to Scotland to finance a team, I think they would only look at the Old Firm!
Biggest crowds and near guaranteed Europian football every year, total TV coverage on SKY and BT!
For their advertising it would be a no brainer, picking any other team in the league would not create the same results as quickly.
Not only do I not like the idea, but I think it is totally impractical!!!

Since90+2
14-12-2018, 02:14 PM
If your honest about a big company coming to Scotland to finance a team, I think they would only look at the Old Firm!
Biggest crowds and near guaranteed Europian football every year, total TV coverage on SKY and BT!
For their advertising it would be a no brainer, picking any other team in the league would not create the same results as quickly.

Can't see any chance of Celtic's current owners selling to RedBull in full knowledge what it would mean for the club. I'd imagine their fan base would go absolutely mental if it was even proposed aswell.

Rangers would be abit more likely as they may see it as the chance to finally topple Celtic but I still don't think the majority of their fans would stand for it.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Can't see any chance of Celtic's current owners selling to RedBull in full knowledge what it would mean for the club. I'd imagine their fan base would go absolutely mental if it was even proposed aswell.

Rangers would be abit more likely as they may see it as the chance to finally topple Celtic but I still don't think the majority of their fans would stand for it.

Red Bull originally wanted to buy another of the Leipzig clubs, but their fans protested, so they bought over a much smaller club instead and changed absolutely everything about them. It wasn't so much buying a club, as buying a club licence.

I really can't see the fans of any established club being happy with that. Think of Cardiff City fans' reaction to having their strip colour changed for purely corporate reasons.

HibeeHibernian4
14-12-2018, 02:58 PM
I can't believe this gets asked every single month.

No. I would rather support Hearts than Red Bull Edinburgh.

CLASS OF 72 -73
14-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Yep. Go for it. RB Hibernian. Keep our colours the turmoil the rest of the league would be in would be amazing.

Don't like the idea but how else other than a billionaire buying us are any club outside the two main bigots going to challenge for titles domestic cups and
Champions league? Put's into perspective how well United and Aberdeen did in the 80's but that was when coaching mattered more than money.

SingaporeHibs
14-12-2018, 03:52 PM

No chance. A deal like this comes at a cost and the cost in this case would likely mean a name change, colour change, stadium change etc etc etc. We fought off Mercer, why the hell would we ever even consider this? The thought makes me sick

superbam
14-12-2018, 03:52 PM

yep. I would even be on the hun side when they come up against an RB team in Europe. Football is about more than the team on the pitch, Im amazed folk would even consider the possibility of hibs being hijacked in totality as an advertisement for red bull or any other corporation.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 04:08 PM
yep. I would even be on the hun side when they come up against an RB team in Europe.

You're taking that too far!

IGRIGI
14-12-2018, 04:10 PM

Ban please.

superbam
14-12-2018, 04:15 PM
You're taking that too far!

your right, in reality that wouldnt happen. my principles on the matter would go out the window first sight of any of their fans, or Andy Halliday's face.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 04:18 PM
your right, in reality that wouldnt happen. my principles on the matter would go out the window first sight of any of their fans, or Andy Halliday's face.

That sounds a much healthier attitude

:aok:

Pagan Hibernia
14-12-2018, 05:21 PM

I suppose everyone’s entitled to an opinion but to my mind this is an utterly ludicrous position to take.

Keith_M
14-12-2018, 05:23 PM
I suppose everyone’s entitled to an opinion but to my mind this is an utterly ludicrous position to take.

He seems to be the only one, so we're quite safe for now.

Heckys Wheel
14-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Can see it’s an unpopular opinion but there’s boys saying they’d rather support Hearts or Rangers than Hibs if we sold the naming rights to Red Bull and we’re forced to change colors. To me, that’s ludicrous.

Pagan Hibernia
14-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Can see it’s an unpopular opinion but there’s boys saying they’d rather support Hearts or Rangers than Hibs if we sold the naming rights to Red Bull and we’re forced to change colors. To me, that’s ludicrous.

But the point is it wouldn’t be Hibs anymore!

ShottsBranch
14-12-2018, 07:01 PM

Aye

danhibees1875
15-12-2018, 06:47 AM

That would cost far too much I think. Probably Edinburgh city would be the likeliest target. Maybe a Patrick thistle for the Glasgow market, particularly if they go down again.

All in, I can't imagine RB coming to Scotland anyway and I certainly wouldn't welcome anything more than a regular sponsorship deal. RB Edinburgh playing in red and blue at the Leith Bull arena wouldn't be for me, even if they filled in the corners.

AltheHibby
15-12-2018, 08:21 AM

If the bull looked like a hand...

theonlywayisup
15-12-2018, 09:19 AM

If the bull looked like a hand...

I'm 100% sure that The Rangers fans would be fully against RB coming in ant renaming them and their stadium and change their colours. It's the tradition that keeps them loyal. Also, not convinced that a brand such as RB would ever want to be associated with the loyal fans from the west.

Keith_M
15-12-2018, 09:30 AM
I'm 100% sure that The Rangers fans would be fully against RB coming in ant renaming them and their stadium and change their colours. It's the tradition that keeps them loyal. Also, not convinced that a brand such as RB would ever want to be associated with the loyal fans from the west.

Red Bull is from Austria, which is a largely Roman Catholic country.

I seriously doubt they'd want anything to do with Scotland's Shame

Eyrie
15-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Abredeen would be the obvious choice for a Red Bull franchise in Scotland.

It's a one team city, it's a club with a European history, they already play in red, the name change to RB Aberdeen would be minor and they don't have any of the sectarian nonsense that the Ugly Sisters use as part of their marketing.

The Aberdeen fans would probably go for it as their only chance of a return to their glory days of the early 80s.

The nightmare scenario would be Red Bull Midlothian. That franchise would buy enough trophies that we'd never hear the end of it from the maroon supremacists.

Keith_M
15-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Abredeen would be the obvious choice for a Red Bull franchise in Scotland.

It's a one team city, it's a club with a European history, they already play in red, the name change to RB Aberdeen would be minor and they don't have any of the sectarian nonsense that the Ugly Sisters use as part of their marketing.

The Aberdeen fans would probably go for it as their only chance of a return to their glory days of the early 80s.

They have the added bonus that their Mascot is already a Bull... Aberdeen Angus, to be precise.

Red Bull Aberdeen; playing at the all new Red Bull Arena, just off the Aberdeen bypass. Definitely could happen.

gillythehibby
15-12-2018, 10:43 AM
With all due respect tell Red Bull to GTF.

AltheHibby
15-12-2018, 10:47 AM

True. I was just trying to be a smart***e. Failed as usual.😁

Keith_M
15-12-2018, 10:48 AM
With all due respect tell Red Bull to GTF.

With all due respect, they haven't approached Hibs anyway...and have possibly never even heard of us. :wink:

frazeHFC
15-12-2018, 11:37 AM
It would be the end of me going to games. Throwing away your identity and succuming to everything that's wrong with the modern game.

The Green Goblin
15-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Steady on now! :greengrin

Reading through the thread, I got around to wondering if Hearts would go for it. Something tells me they might....

HibeeHibernian4
15-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Ban please.

I hope you're saying that in jest, but if not...

Hearts are a club who happen to be our rivals, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with their existence. Red Bull clubs on the other hand are a cancer on our sport. Following in their footsteps would be spitting in the face of everything that the wonderful people behind Hands Off Hibs fought against.

ScottB
15-12-2018, 07:43 PM
I think Red Bull have abandoned the buying established league sides approach, at least in Europe. Leipzig where some tiny 5th division team when they bought them, so, if for some unknown reason, Red Bull wanted into Scotland, they’d probably buy some random little team.

Edinburgh City, maybe?

Whatever it’s worth, I don’t think it’s any different to random billionaires buying clubs for alterior purposes. Hell at least RB’s cash is legit.