PDA

View Full Version : Celtic fans to be caged in at Ibrox?

Carheenlea
11-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Read a blog from some Celtic fan claiming that there are rumours of Celtic fans being “protected” from missiles etc at the Ibrox derby with netting. Supposedly Celtic still to announce ticketing details and that they might not take their allocation due to fears for their fans safety.
Not sure how much truth is in this, but there doesn’t seem too much concern for other clubs fans safety from Rangers in the corner that we have populated with the same allocation that they are going to get. All a bit OTT and Celtic fans appear to be ****ting themselves at the prospect of going to Ibrox with 900 fans. Time they grew a set :wink:

Billy Whizz
11-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Carheenlea it’s not the nicest place to visit, we get pelted with missiles even now, god knows what they would throw at Celtic fans

If it keeps them safe, I’m all for it, but it just show want a vile place Ibrox is to visit

Carheenlea
11-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Carheenlea it’s not the nicest place to visit, we get pelted with missiles even now, god knows what they would throw at Celtic fans

If it keeps them safe, I’m all for it, but it just show want a vile place Ibrox is to visit

Yes, plenty of experience at Ibrox Billy and it’s certainly not for the faint hearted. It will be interesting to see how it is handled. Don’t recall much noise after Rangers visited Celtic earlier in season but the difference at Ibrox is that the away fans are a bit more hemmed in. Netting protecting away fans is apparently quite common in Europe at high risk games, but can’t really see this happening here.

The 90+2
11-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Don’t cage them in. Let the world see how how much the huns are complete **** of the earth and there will be no excuses. Why keep pandering them for being ****? Been spat on loads of times as well as pies and teas launched in our end.

Keith_M
11-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Yes, plenty of experience at Ibrox Billy and it’s certainly not for the faint hearted. It will be interesting to see how it is handled. Don’t recall much noise after Rangers visited Celtic earlier in season but the difference at Ibrox is that the away fans are a bit more hemmed in. Netting protecting away fans is apparently quite common in Europe at high risk games, but can’t really see this happening here.

Sounds like a return to the bad old days, when most stadia had similar.

There was a large mesh fence at the south end of the east terrace at ER. They had the same thing at Tynecastle & Fir Park and between the Rangers End and the Jungle at Celtc Park.

Renfrew_Hibby
11-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Don't PSG 'cage' away fans in at games?
The cage is really just netting but it would stop plastic cups filled with pee, or is that just an Ibrox/Locke thing??

1875godsgift
11-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Don't PSG 'cage' away fans in at games?
The cage is really just netting but it would stop plastic cups filled with pee, or is that just an Ibrox/Locke thing??

Well, it would stop the plastic cups.....

bodhibs
11-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Exactly, any liquid is going straight through and it would need to be a very fine mesh to stop coins which I'm sure would affect visibility. Yep celtc need to grow a set

CraigHibee
11-12-2018, 11:04 PM
It'll be worse for Celtic visiting Ibrox, the venom between the 2 sets of fans is clear as day, Celtic fans will be like sitting ducks. Wonder if the media will report it all afterwards

Carheenlea
11-12-2018, 11:54 PM
It'll be worse for Celtic visiting Ibrox, the venom between the 2 sets of fans is clear as day, Celtic fans will be like sitting ducks. Wonder if the media will report it all afterwards

Do they report they treatment we experience through there? Of course not. Theirs will be similar to what we endure, but because 900 of them in an intimidating environment is not what they are accustomed to they will be well out their comfort zone.

ian cruise
12-12-2018, 12:51 AM

I think it's a great idea, the collection of cups, etc on top would be undeniable evidence of their fans throwing items en-masse and then even our authorities would find it hard to not take action.

jgl07
12-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Read a blog from some Celtic fan claiming that there are rumours of Celtic fans being “protected” from missiles etc at the Ibrox derby with netting. Supposedly Celtic still to announce ticketing details and that they might not take their allocation due to fears for their fans safety.
Not sure how much truth is in this, but there doesn’t seem too much concern for other clubs fans safety from Rangers in the corner that we have populated with the same allocation that they are going to get. All a bit OTT and Celtic fans appear to be ****ting themselves at the prospect of going to Ibrox with 900 fans. Time they grew a set :wink:

Speak for yourself. I haven't been back to Ibrox for a League match since my first visit in 1993. There were missiles, usually cups filled with p*ss flung every time Rangers had a major attack. There were goons leaning right over from the upper tier spitting at anyone they could reach. Meantime the stewards and the police were whistling to themselves and looking the other way.

I have been for a couple of Cup matches which is different as Hibs would get the whole end.

Pretty Boy
12-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Rather than Celtic fans, or fans of any other club who occupy that corner, 'growing a set' maybe we should focus on Rangers fans learning to progress to the next stage on the evolutionary ladder and refrain from throwing their own bodily fluids at people.

The Harp Awakes
12-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Rather than Celtic fans, or fans of any other club who occupy that corner, 'growing a set' maybe we should focus on Rangers fans learning to progress to the next stage on the evolutionary ladder and refrain from throwing their own bodily fluids at people.

:agree:

Jones28
12-12-2018, 08:04 AM
I think it's a great idea, the collection of cups, etc on top would be undeniable evidence of their fans throwing items en-masse and then even our authorities would find it hard to not take action.

Really good point that.

Mind you, last time there was indisputable evidence of things being thrown onto the pitch at ibrox was our play off game when Scott Allan was pelted with stuff every time he went for a corner.

sadtom
12-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Given the blind eye that is turned to it and the lack of appetite to tackle it. Every single week a draw should be held with the names of senior politicians, newspaper editors/owners, top cops, club chairmen/owners, sfa/sfpl bigwigs and the ipox staff. If their name is drawn, they and their young families, get to taste the joys of the Mordor experience.
They then have to make their way from Glasgow Queen street, bedecked in the away team colours, to the game, into the away end for 90 mins and back again. Then their names go straight back in the hat for the next one, ad infinitum. After all its safe for all us plebs to do it?!
Lets see how quick things change then.
There is a TV show in there somewhere...'I'm a hypocritical barsteward...get me outta here!'

I'm Spartacus
12-12-2018, 08:55 AM

This!!! ^^^^^

I think having protection would mean even more stuff will be thrown!! Shows them up for what they are.

Hermit Crab
12-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Netting is common in away sections throughout mainland Europe, not really a big deal to be honest.

My view from the away section at the San Paulo when I was over with Man City.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181212/1a12bf31022eaa4eb973fbddeb92ee89.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181212/9a99715165af24ef399febedbbd6b913.jpg

Sylar
12-12-2018, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lawell decides not to take tickets for the game and encourages Celtc fans to just stay away. I don't understand why, if Rangers were going to cut their allocation (which I wholly understand them doing), they don't give them the end of the Broomloan Stand and create a segregation from the Rangers fans beside them. Putting them into that low corner is just asking for trouble.

Pretty Boy is spot on though - the core issue here is Rangers being unable to control their fans' behaviour.

I'm Spartacus
12-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Celtic should take the tickets and just not sell them.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Hope there is a riot.

Bostonhibby
12-12-2018, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lawell decides not to take tickets for the game and encourages Celtc fans to just stay away. I don't understand why, if Rangers were going to cut their allocation (which I wholly understand them doing), they don't give them the end of the Broomloan Stand and create a segregation from the Rangers fans beside them. Putting them into that low corner is just asking for trouble.

Pretty Boy is spot on though - the core issue here is Rangers being unable to control their fans' behaviour.[emoji106]spot on.

Especially despair about PB's concerns as I think it's an educational issue. Most of these guys think the trough in the toilet is for drinking out of and they've never been able to work the flush handle however simplified it becomes.

As someone who has seen women spat on at ibrox I am pretty sure it's learned institutionalised behaviour and as the people running sevco can't prevent it they're exploiting it instead.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Kojock
12-12-2018, 11:09 AM
I remember as a 10 year old boy before the days of segregation when leaving Easter Road being spat on, punched and verbally abused by adult Rangers supporters. Yet here we are 47 years later still encountering the same moronic behaviour from them. Don’t hold your breath waiting for something to be done about it.

BILLYHIBS
12-12-2018, 11:19 AM
i remember as a 10 year old boy before the days of segregation when leaving easter road being spat on, punched and verbally abused by adult rangers supporters. Yet here we are 47 years later still encountering the same moronic behaviour from them. Don’t hold your breath waiting for something to be done about it.
animals!

The 90+2
12-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Hope there is a riot.

This. Full scale. What a derby day the 29th is going to be.

where'stheslope
12-12-2018, 11:37 AM
The only time the Police take any action on things being thrown at Ibrox or Parkhead is when one of their own it hit?
Last time I was at Ibrox, there were at least 3 complaints from around me, nothing was done until the Police were hit and then they were on the radio to their pals!!!!

silverhibee
12-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Celtc, not so tough when it's just the minority of them.

SlickShoes
12-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Should have done this years ago, it's the main reason I don't go to Ibrox because when I was a kid and went you always got stuff rained down on top of you from coins to spit and sometimes worse. Never going to pay to be in that environment.

Hibernia&Alba
12-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Ibrox always means running the gauntlet, and being in that wee corner has a feeling of being thrown to the lions; not pleasant. I wouldn't take kids there.

Frazerbob
12-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Speak for yourself. I haven't been back to Ibrox for a League match since my first visit in 1993. There were missiles, usually cups filled with p*ss flung every time Rangers had a major attack. There were goons leaning right over from the upper tier spitting at anyone they could reach. Meantime the stewards and the police were whistling to themselves and looking the other way.

I have been for a couple of Cup matches which is different as Hibs would get the whole end.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been to Ibrox supporting Hibs but it must over 50 times since my first visit in 1985. I’ve been at either side of the Broomloan, the wee corner we currently get and even up in the main stand for the 1-1 draw when the firework was set off. Whilst I’ve been subjected to some outrageous abuse, had various objects chucked at me, I have never seen cups of pish thrown at us. Urban myth.

Bostonhibby
12-12-2018, 05:44 PM
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been to Ibrox supporting Hibs but it must over 50 times since my first visit in 1985. I’ve been at either side of the Broomloan, the wee corner we currently get and even up in the main stand for the 1-1 draw when the firework was set off. Whilst I’ve been subjected to some outrageous abuse, had various objects chucked at me, I have never seen cups of pish thrown at us. Urban myth.Probably right, been plenty times in the 80's and early 90's in particular. My wife got spat on, we've had a battery, a coach bolt,money, a key and a comb thrown at us from above at the now defunct Glasgow rangers ground.

I'm guessing they probably piss on each other to mark out territories and as part of their mating rituals.

Carheenlea
12-12-2018, 06:00 PM
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been to Ibrox supporting Hibs but it must over 50 times since my first visit in 1985. I’ve been at either side of the Broomloan, the wee corner we currently get and even up in the main stand for the 1-1 draw when the firework was set off. Whilst I’ve been subjected to some outrageous abuse, had various objects chucked at me, I have never seen cups of pish thrown at us. Urban myth.

:agree: not saying it’s never happened but my experiences are exactly like yours. Latest reports suggest Celtic have taken 750 tickets for the fixture - a bit less than we take, but this might be to facilitate their fans with no Rangers fans directly above, which our allocation does with either side of the allocation eating into the Broomloan and Govan stands slightly.

Sammy7nil
12-12-2018, 06:06 PM
I remember as a 10 year old boy before the days of segregation when leaving Easter Road being spat on, punched and verbally abused by adult Rangers supporters. Yet here we are 47 years later still encountering the same moronic behaviour from them. Don’t hold your breath waiting for something to be done about it.

Around that time I witnessed a father with a small boy spat on by a Rangers fans he laid two of them out with sweet punches the Police arrived and every Hibby claimed there was nothing to see and nothing had happened :greengrin as two bams left with their tails between their legs, one with a cut lip.:aok:

Saturday Boy
12-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Around that time I witnessed a father with a small boy spat on by a Rangers fans he laid two of them out with sweet punches the Police arrived and every Hibby claimed there was nothing to see and nothing had happened :greengrin as two bams left with their tails between their legs, one with a cut lip.:aok:

Scarily, I suspect that a few of them do have tails.

Or perhaps I’ve been reading too much M.R. James 😄

Billy Whizz
13-12-2018, 04:31 PM
I see they have accepted 750 tickets at £49 a pop
Means there will be a larger segregation area between the fans

Hibby70
13-12-2018, 04:33 PM

£49!!!! That's a disgrace

Since90+2
13-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Apparently tickets only issued on matchday on official coaches that will take fans to and from the game.

Believe it's the first time it's happened in Scotland although it's fairly common in England.

Hibernia&Alba
13-12-2018, 04:39 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/hGwvzBNwXDwlO/giphy.gif

The Green Goblin
13-12-2018, 04:48 PM

My thoughts too. Surely if anyone needs to “grow a set” it’s the football authorities in Scotland who seem afraid to tackle the huns and their neanderthal fans time and time again.

SingaporeHibs
13-12-2018, 04:48 PM
It’s always been a vile place to visit but for anyone wearing green it always goes up a notch. I used to go when young and didn’t care but there became a point that going there wasn’t fun anymore so I stopped going. This was before the corner seating. It rained coins,pies, ‘bovril’ etc. The last time I was there one guy was spitting over the side, the Steward had a word which made zero difference and a bunch of them continued hurling whatever was in their hands. There is no reason to think that 900 Celtic supporters are in any more danger than 900 Hibs supporters. They do need to grow a pair. However, maybe this event will be highlighted properly in the press and Scotland’s shame might get shown for what it is.

Hibernia&Alba
13-12-2018, 04:52 PM
It’s always been a vile place to visit but for anyone wearing green it always goes up a notch. I used to go when young and didn’t care but there became a point that going there wasn’t fun anymore so I stopped going. This was before the corner seating. It rained coins,pies, ‘bovril’ etc. The last time I was there one guy was spitting over the side, the Steward had a word which made zero difference and a bunch of them continued hurling whatever was in their hands. There is no reason to think that 900 Celtic supporters are in any more danger than 900 Hibs supporters. They do need to grow a pair. However, maybe this event will be highlighted properly in the press and Scotland’s shame might get shown for what it is.

Don't agree with you there, mate. The Old Firm is of a different order of hatred from anything else. Both sides become completely unhinged.

Sean1875
13-12-2018, 04:53 PM

:faf:

SingaporeHibs
13-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Don't agree with you there, mate. The Old Firm is of a different order of hatred from anything else. Both sides become completely unhinged.

Maybe that’s true but 900 Celtic supporters now don’t have people directly above them as was the case when I was going there as a Hibs fan. Police only have to guard right and left and the upper corners. It’s a numbers game for Celtic. 900 v 7k. Sounds less safe but is it? Not really.

Hibernia&Alba
13-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Maybe that’s true but 900 Celtic supporters now don’t have people directly above them as was the case when I was going there as a Hibs fan. Police only have to guard right and left and the upper corners. It’s a numbers game for Celtic. 900 v 7k. Sounds less safe but is it? Not really.

Well they used to get the entire Broomloan Stand, so they were separate. Now they will have Rangers fans to each side of them. I really wouldn't want to be in that wee section as a Celtic fan; like you say, it's bad enough for Hibs fans.

GreenLake
13-12-2018, 05:22 PM

Every visiting fan should be given a free DNA swab kit and any of the pissers and the gobbers that are identified could be added to the national genetic fingerprint database. Their actions demonstrate that they are willing to give out samples.

CLASS OF 72 -73
13-12-2018, 06:02 PM

750 I believe

Bostonhibby
13-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Every visiting fan should be given a free DNA swab kit and any of the pissers and the gobbers that are identified could be added to the national genetic fingerprint database. Their actions demonstrate that they are willing to give out samples.How would that work? They are a different species.

Smartie
13-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Can we not cage the Celtic fans in at Ibrox and just leave them there, feeding them fish and occasionally poking them with sticks?

Hermit Crab
13-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Thats nothing new, been that price for a while.

jgl07
13-12-2018, 07:01 PM

Well I have!

We were in the lower tier and all sorts of crap was thrown from the upper tier while the police and stewards 'looked the other way'. I saw a Hibs fan with saliva all down his back. I saw the spray as the cups were thrown. It wasn't random either it was concentrated immediately after Rangers scored a goal or had an attack.

That is why I have not been back to Ibrox for a League match and never will again.

So is that an urban myth?

hibsbollah
13-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Can we not cage the Celtic fans in at Ibrox and just leave them there, feeding them fish and occasionally poking them with sticks?

...rattling beads and holding up unbroken stained glass windows.

Keith_M
13-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Celtc have made a statement saying they will be taking their ticket allocation for Ibrox.

Carheenlea
13-12-2018, 07:41 PM

Celtic fans will be safer within Ibrox than any other clubs support for this game :agree: Pity there doesn’t appear to be as much enthusiasm to act on our repeated concerns about our fans welfare there.