PDA

View Full Version : Who’d have gone in goals on Saturday

Billy Whizz
10-12-2018, 07:17 PM
If Rocky had picked up an injury during the match?

hibee
10-12-2018, 07:19 PM
I guess Bogdan would have been able to come on.

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Bogdan was listed as a sub

How serious was his injury?

Billy Whizz
10-12-2018, 07:23 PM
I guess Bogdan would have been able to come on.

Did he sit on the bench, must admit I never looked over

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2018, 07:26 PM
More to the point: Rocky kept the first clean sheet in ages. Who starts between the sticks against the OF?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-12-2018, 07:28 PM
More to the point: Rocky kept the first clean sheet in ages. Who starts between the sticks against the OF?

:aok:

Craigmount Hibs
10-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Did he sit on the bench, must admit I never looked over

Nope, Bogdan wasn’t a sub. Gullan replaced Marciano on the bench.

Billy Whizz
10-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Nope, Bogdan wasn’t a sub. Gullan replaced Marciano on the bench.

Your right. At the game I discussed this with my daughter, I said maybe Porteous, but just pulled that name out

calumhibee1
10-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Efe. He’d have prob done a scorpion kick to win us the game.

we are hibs
10-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Has Laidlaw fallen off the face of the earth?

tamig
10-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Has Laidlaw fallen off the face of the earth?

I don’t think three keepers would normally travel.

Northernhibee
10-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Lewis.

He's played everywhere else and made a success of it, we've probably got the new Buffon right under our noses.

whiskas
10-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Every team has a secret “cat” or outfielder who fancies himself in goals. We need to find out who ours is!

Green&White
10-12-2018, 11:36 PM
I've no idea why but I can picture Boyle in goal diving up clawing one out of the top corner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Saturday Boy
10-12-2018, 11:40 PM
I've no idea why but I can picture Boyle in goal diving up clawing one out of the top corner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I’d feel sorry for the two guys carrying the stretcher on Saturday. Especially with cross balls 😄

I know what you mean though. I have vague childhood memories of Peter Cormack taking Willie Wilson’s jersey.

Needless to say, it was a bit baggy 😄

HibeeMackenzie
11-12-2018, 02:21 AM
Every team has a secret “cat” or outfielder who fancies himself in goals. We need to find out who ours is!

Fontaine certainly used to be our outfield ‘cat’, at times when he was at Bristol City they wouldn’t list a sub keeper due to having Fonts

CentreLine
11-12-2018, 07:19 AM
I’d feel sorry for the two guys carrying the stretcher on Saturday. Especially with cross balls 😄

I know what you mean though. I have vague childhood memories of Peter Cormack taking Willie Wilson’s jersey.

Needless to say, it was a bit baggy 😄

Yes against hearts wasn’t it?

green.oracle
11-12-2018, 07:30 AM
Yes against hearts wasn’t it?

Cormack did it twice, once v harts in an EOS game and v st midden in a league cup game.

One Day
11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Cormack did it twice, once v harts in an EOS game and v st midden in a league cup game.

At the St Mirren game Willie Wilson came back on and played on the wing

Roxyhibee
11-12-2018, 08:59 AM
At the St Mirren game Willie Wilson came back on and played on the wing

My first ever Hibs game.! A night game 1963/64.? I was about 4 and was taken by my dad and uncles, Dunbar end.

I just remember Willie Wilson coming on with a bandage on his head (the floodlights really made him stick out) and running around on the right wing.? And my dad and uncles all laughing.

Can you tell me any other details about it.? We won 1-0 I think.

Pretty Boy
11-12-2018, 09:33 AM
I remember Andy Millen playing in goals away to Motherwell when Jim Leighton was sent off. 1-1 draw iirc. Also have vague memories of Willie Miller playing in goals when Budgie was sent off a few years before.

green with envy
11-12-2018, 10:16 AM
I remember Andy Millen playing in goals away to Motherwell when Jim Leighton was sent off. 1-1 draw iirc. Also have vague memories of Willie Miller playing in goals when Budgie was sent off a few years before.

I also remember Arthur Duncan going in goals at Ibrox during a SC tie circa '79, he may have replaced Jim McArthur from memory.

makaveli1875
11-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Did we not have Darren Jackson in goals once upon a time, possibly against Celtic

Pretty Boy
11-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Did we not have Darren Jackson in goals once upon a time, possibly against Celtic

:agree:

Was a bizarre incident. Jim Leighton had to go off to get stitches. Jackson took over in goals, came for and missed a cross which they duly scored from. Leighton was set to come back on so Jackson handed him back all the gear then the ref restarted the game before waving him on. The game continued for about 30 seconds to a minute with us having no goalkeeper. There's video footage on YouTube I'm sure.

MB62
11-12-2018, 01:48 PM

I'm sure Arthur Duncan also took the gloves at least once for us during his time, although can't remember against who?

BILLYHIBS
11-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Willie Miller went in goal and played very well when “Budgie” got himself sent off for handling outside the box versus the old very hard to beat team of ex Jambos that called themselves Airdrie

Unsurprisingly versus our bogie team we lost 0-2 as Callum Milne got himself sent off second half.

Keith_M
11-12-2018, 03:01 PM
:agree:

Was a bizarre incident. Jim Leighton had to go off to get stitches. Jackson took over in goals, came for and missed a cross which they duly scored from. Leighton was set to come back on so Jackson handed him back all the gear then the ref restarted the game before waving him on. The game continued for about 30 seconds to a minute with us having no goalkeeper. There's video footage on YouTube I'm sure.

I remember that vividly.

It's against the rules to allow play to carry on if either side doesn't have a GK on the pitch. Apparently the Referee that day wasn't aware of that rule... :rolleyes:

green with envy
11-12-2018, 04:07 PM
I'm sure Arthur Duncan also took the gloves at least once for us during his time, although can't remember against who?

Check post No 22 :aok:

leither17
11-12-2018, 04:19 PM

I’m sure that was in a 2-0 defeat to Airdrie i was the mascot that day.

SideBurns
11-12-2018, 05:30 PM
I also remember Arthur Duncan going in goals at Ibrox during a SC tie circa '79, he may have replaced Jim McArthur from memory.

It was a league gemme around '83 I think. Sure we lost 3-2, Ralphy Callaghan might've missed a penalty to give us a draw? If I recall correctly, Arthur did ok!

Borderhibbie76
12-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Has Laidlaw fallen off the face of the earth?He's Injured at moment am sure

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Keyser Sauzee
12-12-2018, 07:45 PM
I’m sure that was in a 2-0 defeat to Airdrie i was the mascot that day.

Definitely Motherwell, I was at Fir Park that day. I can vaguely remember Millen was not bad in the sticks??

Forza Fred
12-12-2018, 08:29 PM
My first ever Hibs game.! A night game 1963/64.? I was about 4 and was taken by my dad and uncles, Dunbar end.

I just remember Willie Wilson coming on with a bandage on his head (the floodlights really made him stick out) and running around on the right wing.? And my dad and uncles all laughing.

Can you tell me any other details about it.? We won 1-0 I think.

I didn’t think it was a night game, but You could be right as time and the memory etc...

Remember Willie running ‘up the slope’ on the right wing with a bandage on his head.

Attended the EOS shield game at Tynecastle too....and Corky tipped a few over the bar, but we all thought a low shot might have eluded him.

Saturday Boy
12-12-2018, 09:32 PM
This has been a great thread.

Reminds me of all the good things about .net,

People of all ages (though mostly old 😄) and all around the world, sharing their memories of watching the Hibs.

Roxyhibee
12-12-2018, 11:01 PM
I didn’t think it was a night game, but You could be right as time and the memory etc...

Remember Willie running ‘up the slope’ on the right wing with a bandage on his head.

Attended the EOS shield game at Tynecastle too....and Corky tipped a few over the bar, but we all thought a low shot might have eluded him.

I just assumed it was a night game because of the floodlights picking up Willies huge white bandage on his heid in my very young memory. But, aye, it could have been the second half of a Saturday game in winter. I’d like to know, if anyone can confirm when exactly it was.

One Day
13-12-2018, 10:05 AM
I just assumed it was a night game because of the floodlights picking up Willies huge white bandage on his heid in my very young memory. But, aye, it could have been the second half of a Saturday game in winter. I’d like to know, if anyone can confirm when exactly it was.

I'm sure it was a night game

green with envy
13-12-2018, 10:27 AM
It was a league gemme around '83 I think. Sure we lost 3-2, Ralphy Callaghan might've missed a penalty to give us a draw? If I recall correctly, Arthur did ok!

I'll meet you halfway. I reckon it was SC QF - ibrox March '81 in a 3-1 defeat.

G15 Hibs
13-12-2018, 11:13 AM
I miss the rogue element of an outfield player going in goals. Hardly see it anymore thanks to sub keepers. It introduced an air of the unexpected to often dull games on rare occasions. But nostalgia's not what it used to be etc.

I seem to mind Theo Snelders being sent off at Easter Road for punching Keith Wright after he'd been brought down in the box (I don't think Snelders necessarily agreed with the decision). Brian Irvine (maybe) went in goals and saved our penalty (canny mind who took it). Danny Lennon then scored a winner in the last minute. 1991-ish?

SideBurns
13-12-2018, 01:03 PM
I'll meet you halfway. I reckon it was SC QF - ibrox March '81 in a 3-1 defeat.

One of us could Google it, but where would be the fun in that?

What I do recall about the gemme where Arthur went in goals was that we'd just got a Betamax video recorder and the highlights were on Scotsport on the Sunday. I didnae tape it cos I didnae know how (much to the frustration of an uncle of mine, who has posted in this thread, and was no doubt too busy playing bowls, bevvying or a combination of both to tape it in his ain hoose 😁).

We didn't get a recorder until 1983 so it must've been then. There you go, conclusive proof!

Pretty Boy
13-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Was it Phil Jagielka who used to cover as a goalkeeper for Sheffield United? Warnock never bothered naming a sub keeper as he preferred the extra outfield option and the player I'm sure was Jagielka covered a couple of times. Sure he used to train with the keepers once a week as well.

I miss the days of 2 or 3 subs and you only really saw sub keepers in cup finals. Even then some managers used to risk going without, remember Robbie Winters playing pretty much the whole game in goals for Aberdeen in the 2000 cup final.

green with envy
13-12-2018, 04:13 PM
One of us could Google it, but where would be the fun in that?

What I do recall about the gemme where Arthur went in goals was that we'd just got a Betamax video recorder and the highlights were on Scotsport on the Sunday. I didnae tape it cos I didnae know how (much to the frustration of an uncle of mine, who has posted in this thread, and was no doubt too busy playing bowls, bevvying or a combination of both to tape it in his ain hoose 😁).

We didn't get a recorder until 1983 so it must've been then. There you go, conclusive proof!

I remember I was standing in the old enclosure under the main stand, I remember Arthur Duncan going in goals at the Broomloan End and I remember him conceding a goal within 30 seconds or so of him going in goals. I also remember it being a Scottish Cup tie. If my memory is correct (that is not guaranteed these days) Jackie Mac scored our only goal. We didn't play rangers in the SC '83. I can't find any of that in google though.

Over to you.:wink:

BILLYHIBS
13-12-2018, 04:21 PM
I remember I was standing in the old enclosure under the main stand, I remember Arthur Duncan going in goals at the Broomloan End and I remember him conceding a goal within 30 seconds or so of him going in goals. I also remember it being a Scottish Cup tie. If my memory is correct (that is not guaranteed these days) Jackie Mac scored our only goal. We didn't play rangers in the SC '83. I can't find any of that in google though.

Over to you.:wink:

7/3/1981 Scottish cup 1-3 (macnamara)

Peevemor
13-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Arthur let in a goal almost immediately but did fine after that. We did miss a penalty and Jackie Mac scored an OG with a 40yd passback (Jim McArthur was at the opposite side of his box).

CropleyWasGod
13-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Arthur let in a goal almost immediately but did fine after that. We did miss a penalty and Jackie Mac scored an OG with a 40yd passback (Jim McArthur was at the opposite side of his box).

23rd October 1982.

The day my oldest was born. :rolleyes:

SideBurns
13-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Cheers for that. Don't remember Jackie's OG but sounds a cracker! There you go, we must have got our first video recorder in '82 then...

Peevemor
13-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Cheers for that. Don't remember Jackie's OG but sounds a cracker! There you go, we must have got our first video recorder in '82 then...

I remember watching the highlights on the tv and the commentator (Arthur Montford?) said something like "Jackie McNamara, one of the most reliable players in Scottish football" just as he made the pass back. Then it was "Oh goodness! What have I said?" :greengrin

Godsahibby
13-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Was it Phil Jagielka who used to cover as a goalkeeper for Sheffield United? Warnock never bothered naming a sub keeper as he preferred the extra outfield option and the player I'm sure was Jagielka covered a couple of times. Sure he used to train with the keepers once a week as well.

I miss the days of 2 or 3 subs and you only really saw sub keepers in cup finals. Even then some managers used to risk going without, remember Robbie Winters playing pretty much the whole game in goals for Aberdeen in the 2000 cup final.

Fanous game that Kenny got injured and Jagielka has to take over in goals early on vs Arsenal. Sure the game ended 1-0 or 1-1 with Nade scoring for united. Jagielka had the game of his life!!

Frazerbob
13-12-2018, 06:36 PM
I seem to recall Paul Kane playing in goal for one of the Tenents Sixes tournaments.

SideBurns
13-12-2018, 08:00 PM
I remember watching the highlights on the tv and the commentator (Arthur Montford?) said something like "Jackie McNamara, one of the most reliable players in Scottish football" just as he made the pass back. Then it was "Oh goodness! What have I said?" :greengrin

Ha ha - would've been Arthur Montford if it was Scotsport right enough 😁. Archie was BBC Sportscene.