PDA

View Full Version : Efe & Porteous - 1st choice CH pairing now

Wheat Hound
09-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Think these two have by far been our best ch pairing of late so that, even when fit, Paul Hanlon doesn't get a game. Porteous, although still prone to a bit slack distribution, has been immense and possibly our best player through our recent bad run. Speaks volumes for his strength of character.

Think we are better suited to a back 4 with the other personnel we have too, although it'll be even stronger with SDG & Lewis back at full back.

Tarrahib
09-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Think these two have by far been our best ch pairing of late so that, even when fit, Paul Hanlon doesn't get a game. Porteous, although still prone to a bit slack distribution, has been immense and possibly our best player through our recent bad run. Speaks volumes for his strength of character.Think we are better suited to a back 4 with the other personnel we have too, although it'll be even stronger with SDG & Lewis back at full back.Efe plus one other.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Porteous has been good in the last 2, before that was as poor as anyone else. Efe is the one who has been our best throughout.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 03:10 PM
No danger. Having 2 right sided centre halves is ludicrous.

calumhibee1
09-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Efe has absolutely cemented himself as the first name on the team sheet at centre half imo. Porteous has done alright but I’d still have Hanlon in ahead of him in a 4.

Partyraiser
09-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Efe has absolutely cemented himself as the first name on the team sheet at centre half imo. Porteous has done alright but I’d still have Hanlon in ahead of him in a 4.

Am I right in thinking Efe's contract's up at the end of the season? I hope we have already started talks to extend it if so! Absolutely love the big guy!

The_Horde
09-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Still not got the game intelligence for the biggest games. But he's definitely improving at an incredible rate.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Is it?

Famous Fiver
09-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Enjoy Porteous while he is here.

Destined for a big move, in my opinion.

Allant1981
09-12-2018, 03:24 PM

No it isnt

BoomtownHibees
09-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Not sure it’s ludicrous considering we have had our best results this season with Efe and Porteous as our 2 centre half’s

J-C
09-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Another negative post

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Porteous has been good in the last 2, before that was as poor as anyone else. Efe is the one who has been our best throughout.

Porteous was great yesterday. Tricky game for the side and I found his game progressed as it went on. Pretty faultless last quarter, just when it gets squeaky. As I reckoned elsewhere, him or Hyndman for MOM. Efe was also a stand out.
For all the flak, we have more troublesome injuries than might be considered and Ryan Porteous is stepping up manfully.

calumhibee1
Am I right in thinking Efe's contract's up at the end of the season? I hope we have already started talks to extend it if so! Absolutely love the big guy!

Pretty sure you’re right unfortunately.

hfc rd

No it’s not. Many top teams play with two right sided centre backs.

Brightside
09-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Another negative post

Hahaha. It’s hardly a negative post.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Not sure it’s ludicrous considering we have had our best results this season with Efe and Porteous as our 2 centre half’s

Hanlon played in Europe and against Motherwell. 3 at the back.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Is it?

Yes. Against better sides we have struggled against them with nobody left footed.

J-C
09-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Hahaha. It’s hardly a negative post.

It is when he calls it ludicrous, why not just say both are doing fairly well and leave or at that.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Another negative post

How on Earth is it negative to suggest that Paul Hanlon when fit should be in the side and two right footed centre half’s brings imbalance? Clearly looking for something that isn’t there. We play them at the back next weekend against James Forrest let’s see how it ends up.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 03:54 PM
It is when he calls it ludicrous, why not just say both are doing fairly well and leave or at that.

They have done well one game. They got torn apart in Aberdeen. It is ludicrous to suggest they should be the preferential pairing in a back four. Come on.

J-C
09-12-2018, 03:56 PM
How on Earth is it negative to suggest that Paul Hanlon when fit should be in the side and two right footed centre half’s brings imbalance? Clearly looking for something that isn’t there. We play them at the back next weekend against James Forrest let’s see how it ends up.

I don't disagree that it's a better balance with a lefty beside a righty but Efe and Ryan are playing fairly well together and it's been pointed out many teams play with 2 right footed CB's.

J-C
09-12-2018, 03:58 PM
They have done well one game. They got torn apart in Aberdeen. It is ludicrous to suggest they should be the preferential pairing in a back four. Come on.

At the moment they are the best pairing on fitness and level of playing, both McGregor and Hanlon have been brutal since they came back from injury.

BoomtownHibees
09-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Hanlon played in Europe and against Motherwell. 3 at the back.

3-2 v Killie, 1-0 away to St Mirren, 6-0 v Hamilton. Efe and Porteous were the centre half pairing.

Tbh I would prob go Hanlon and Efe in the up coming games but to suggest it’s “ludicrous” is erm........ ludicrous

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 04:10 PM
At the moment they are the best pairing on fitness and level of playing, both McGregor and Hanlon have been brutal since they came back from injury.

They have, I feel Hanlon was rushed back though. A fully fit and firing Paul Hanlon will be the first pick in my defence any day of the week. Ryan’s doing fantastically well though but it wouldn’t be my first choice pairing.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 04:11 PM
3-2 v Killie, 1-0 away to St Mirren, 6-0 v Hamilton. Efe and Porteous were the centre half pairing.

Tbh I would prob go Hanlon and Efe in the up coming games but to suggest it’s “ludicrous” is erm........ ludicrous

So if it isn’t ludicrous if Hanlon is fit why would you choose him? That makes no sense at all.

Our best games this season have been Europa league and Motherwell at home.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 04:12 PM
I don't disagree that it's a better balance with a lefty beside a righty but Efe and Ryan are playing fairly well together and it's been pointed out many teams play with 2 right footed CB's.

🙂👍

Earlydelivery
09-12-2018, 04:14 PM
I’d play big Porto every week

BoomtownHibees
09-12-2018, 04:19 PM
So if it isn’t ludicrous if Hanlon is fit why would you choose him? That makes no sense at all.

Our best games this season have been Europa league and Motherwell at home.

How does it not make sense? Your post stated that playing 2 right sided centre halves is ludicrous. Nothing to do with if Hanlon was fit or not.

There’s a difference between me thinking Hanlon and Efe would be a better pairing in these games and you claiming that 2 right sided defenders is ludicrous when we have proved this season that it’s nowhere near being that

DTS
09-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Paul Hanlon in his last two starts has cost us 3 goals. Before the Dundee game I would’ve advocated a back 3 with him in it. Now he’s on the bench as we are so evidently better with a flat 4. Efe and Porteous until either of them has a stinker have the shirts for me. That being said I am 99% sure Lennon will go 3-5-2 v Celtic and hanlon will start

The 90+2
How does it not make sense? Your post stated that playing 2 right sided centre halves is ludicrous. Nothing to do with if Hanlon was fit or not.

There’s a difference between me thinking Hanlon and Efe would be a better pairing in these games and you claiming that 2 right sided defenders is ludicrous when we have proved this season that it’s nowhere near being that

Have you not seen the title of the topic. First choice pairing? We have also proved this season they have been ripped apart at times hence the reason Hanlon got rushed back.

Northernhibee
Porteous is the sort of player I hoped Jordan Forster was going to turn out to be. Tenacious, big tackling, strong in the air, vocal and has a goal threat at the other end from set pieces.

He's a fantastic player.

CLASS OF 72 -73
09-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Think these two have by far been our best ch pairing of late so that, even when fit, Paul Hanlon doesn't get a game. Porteous, although still prone to a bit slack distribution, has been immense and possibly our best player through our recent bad run. Speaks volumes for his strength of character.

Think we are better suited to a back 4 with the other personnel we have too, although it'll be even stronger with SDG & Lewis back at full back.

Porteous is going to be something special and Efe is quality but Hanlon can't be ignored because of two bad games back from injury but you make a fair point.

BoomtownHibees
09-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Have you not seen the title of the topic. First choice pairing? We have also proved this season they have been ripped apart at times hence the reason Hanlon got rushed back.

I was responding to your suggestion that it’s ludicrous when plenty teams do it. The team at the top of the EPL who have only lost 6 goals all season don’t seem to find it ludicrous

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2018, 04:47 PM

Hanlon a disaster at the moment. Watch that Killie game highlights again.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 04:53 PM
It will be interesting to see the lineup for next Sunday’s game versus Celtic defo think experience needed or we are in danger of getting ripped apart?
Just thinking out loud likes!

allmodcons
09-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Just not true.

Granted, Porteous was at fault for the goal scored by GMS but, that apart, Aberdeen created very little on the night.

allmodcons
09-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Hanlon is a big favourite of mine but, you're right, he was very poor versus Killie and for that matter Dundee.

Looks to me like he came back too early from injury which, if I'm being honest, was pretty silly and selfish of him.

Brooster
09-12-2018, 05:01 PM
I would have to agree. Has to be Porto and Efe in a back 4 with Paul coming in on the left side if Lenny goes for a 352. Unfortunately McGregor has been caught by the sands of time.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Yes. Against better sides we have struggled against them with nobody left footed.

That wasn't a reason we struggled. I'll list 15 top centre back pairings that are both right footed. If that was Hibs biggest problem we'd be ****ing brilliant.

Brooster
09-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Hanlon is a big favourite of mine but, you're right, he was very poor versus Killie and for that matter Dundee.

Looks to me like he came back too early from injury which, if I'm being honest, was pretty silly and selfish of him.

Harsh. Yes he was awful against Dundee and Killie but he told the manager he wasn't ready to play but was rushed back regardless. The same has happened to a few others too.

calumhibee1
09-12-2018, 05:20 PM

I won’t debate that. He was pretty poor in the last couple of games he’s played. Generally speaking though, a fully fit Efe and a fully fit Hanlon would be my first choice CB pairing.

eastmainsmsh
09-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Porteous is class far better than McKenna of Aberdeen imo could play 3 at back Efe ,Porteous and Hanlon

HibbyAndy
09-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Ambrose & Porteous pick themselves as centre back pairings

Anyone that argues need there heid examined

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2018, 07:31 PM
I won’t debate that. He was pretty poor in the last couple of games he’s played. Generally speaking though, a fully fit Efe and a fully fit Hanlon would be my first choice CB pairing.

Agreed. Hanlon is as good a defender and far better on the ball than Ryan.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 07:34 PM
5 3 2 Sunday solves it.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 07:36 PM

And as I said, it’s ludicrous to say otherwise. It’s not negative it’s fact.

Who would go into a Scottish Cup final playing 4 at the back without Paul Hanlon? Mental.

calumhibee1
09-12-2018, 07:46 PM
And as I said, it’s ludicrous to say otherwise. It’s not negative it’s fact.

Who would go into a Scottish Cup final playing 4 at the back without Paul Hanlon? Mental.

Pretty much the way I looked at it. If youre picking a team to play a one off huge game, Efe would be right CB every time. Then it’s either Hanlon, McGregor or Porteous for left CB and Hanlon takes that every time imo.

jacomo
09-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Apart from all the other teams that have successfully deployed two right footed centre backs, you are spot on.

The 90+2
09-12-2018, 07:53 PM
Pretty much the way I looked at it. If youre picking a team to play a one off huge game, Efe would be right CB every time. Then it’s either Hanlon, McGregor or Porteous for left CB and Hanlon takes that every time imo.

Yep. And I think it will be the case if PH is fit come Sunday although I’m thinking a back 3.

Leith's finest
09-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Efe will leave in January imo