PDA

View Full Version : 46 years ago today

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 06:44 AM
SCOTTISH LEAGUE CUP FINAL 9/12/1972

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In May 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

A defiant Eddie Turnbull said to the awaiting press “We will be back.”

Hibs returned to Hampden in the preseason in the new look Dryburgh Cup to beat Celtic 5-3 after extra time but the icing on the cake was surely the 1972/73 League Cup Final

On a cold rain soaked and wind swept Hampden Park Turnbulls Tornadoes produced a masterclass with a virtuoso performance from captain Pat Stanton as HIBS hammered their Celtic counterparts who were no mugs 2-1 with a wonderful controlled display of scintillating attacking football.

Goals from Stanton and ORourke and a late consolation goal from a young Kenny Dalglish made the last ten minutes slightly nervous for the Hibee hoardes soaked in the Rangers end

Pat Stanton was unplayable that day as he totally dominated the midfield the only HIBS player that has come close to matching that display imho was Anthony Stokes on 21/5/16

Hibernian: Herriot,Brownlie Schaedler, Stanton,Black and Blackley,Edwards,ORourke,Gordon,Cropley and Duncan sub Hamilton

Celtic: Williams,McGrain,Brogan,McCluskey,McNeil,Hay,Johns tone,Connolly,Dalglish,Hood and Macari sub Callaghan

https://youtu.be/6q3LCUiQhME

Memories please

Forza Fred
09-12-2018, 07:08 AM

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In April 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

Hibs returned to Hampden in the preseason in the new look Dryburgh Cup to beat Celtic 5-3 after extra time but the icing on the cake was surely the 1972/73 League Cup Final

On a cold rain soaked and wind swept Hampden Park Turnbulls Tornadoes produced a masterclass with a virtuoso performance from captain Pat Stanton as HIBS hammered their Celtic counterparts who were no mugs 2-1 with a wonderful controlled display of scintillating attacking football.

Goals from Stanton and ORourke and a late consolation goal from a young Kenny Dalglish made the last ten minutes slightly nervous for the Hibee hoardes soaked in the Rangers end

Pat Stanton was unplayable that day as he totally dominated the midfield the only HIBS player that has come close to matching that display imho was Anthony Stokes on 21/5/16

Hibernian: Herriot,Brownlie Schaedler, Stanton,Black and Blackley,Edwards,ORourke,Gordon,Cropley and Duncan sub Hamilton

Memories please

One I can say...I wusnae there!

It was East of Scotland Cup day, and I remember playing in a ‘can’t miss ‘ game at St Marks Park and putting a couple past Leith Athletic Goalie Charlie Groom.

Actually got the result at the top of Easter Road where I walked to to get a Pink News and approaching the paper seller bumped into a guy called Gerry Herriot who played for rivals Links United and was coincidentally a Celtic supporter.

He told me the score at the top of Easter Road and my fitba boots went skywards in celebration!

Strange how some things stick in your mind when it comes to Hibs......had no contact with the two guys mentioned since that day, but they are forever stuck in the memory banks due to the Hibs winning the League Cup!

WoreTheGreen
09-12-2018, 07:17 AM

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In April 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

Celtic: Williams,McGrain,Brogan,McCluskey,McNeil,Hay,Johns tone,Connolly,Dalglish,Hood and Macari sub Callaghan

Memories please

Was there and Stanton was superb. My all time football hero

HibbyDave
09-12-2018, 07:28 AM
I was there! Remember thinking that paddy was actually crossing for Alan Gordon when Jim o’rourke met the ball and headed possibly the best goal I had ever seen.

FilipinoHibs
09-12-2018, 07:55 AM

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In May 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

Memories please

I was 16 soaked to the skin but who cared. Magnificant football. What a golden era.

Cheshire Hibby
09-12-2018, 08:01 AM

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

Memories please

I was there but standing on the open Celtic end. Went through on the Bathgate and West Lothian Hibs bus with a Hibee mate. The bus arrived later than we would have liked and after running to Hampden we just went in the first gate and ended up besides hoardes of Celtic fans. No trouble during first half but at half time got into a spot of bother with some celts who had noticed the white Hibs flag bought on the run up to the ground. Celtic flags were yellow in contrast. some older Celtic fans stepped in and protected us in the 2nd half.

The huge wedge of Hibs flags in the Rangers end is a lasting memory. Hibs were magnificent with two great goals. Celtic threw everything at us and after Dalglish had scored there were a few nerves but all in all the result was thoroughly deserved. Great to see Sir Pat lift the 2nd trophy of the season and our first League Cup and first cup in 70 years. Great memories.

on the way back our bus broke down near Coatbridge on the A8 and we never got through to Edinburgh for the parade. To this day that really grates.

Roxyhibee
09-12-2018, 08:17 AM
Was there - had also been to the 6-2, 6-1 as well, so had developed a young ‘fear’ of Celtic at Hampden.

Couldnt believe it was 0-0 at half time and how well we had played against them.

The rain started to come on in the second half, Hibs fans started singing loudly, Celtic went quiet, Stanton was absolutely magnificent as they all were, and 45 minutes later, I had the best football day out.

My dad and uncles drove to The Barnton Hotel to get a drink and I was left in the car with my programme, juice and crisps. Couldn’t have been happier. Great days to be a Hibby.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Was there, my hibby cousin and my late uncle, a jambo took me through on a bus that left from St. Clair street.

The game itself is a blur, I remember getting a rosette and a hat that I still have. The hat's known as the lucky cup final hat but it's been to far too many unlucky ones since.

I remember beforehand standing in the corner of a pub rammed full of celtc fans. There was plenty noise but no trouble.

Missed the parade. Can't actually remember why!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Ray_
09-12-2018, 09:50 AM
I was 16 soaked to the skin but who cared. Magnificant football. What a golden era.

Put 8 past Ally McLeod's Ayr the following Saturday :greengrin

Cheshire Hibby
09-12-2018, 09:56 AM

And 7 past the Jambos just 23 days later. MAGNIFICENT

brog
09-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Including that win we've now had 4 trophies in those 46 years. Its hard to remember it had been 70 years since our previous success & that we had never won the LC. I smile now looking at posts saying we saw it out comfortably, was longest 11 minutes of my life!!!

Bobo
09-12-2018, 10:49 AM

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

Memories please

The passage of time is scary as I remember that like it was yesterday. I'm so glad that I was privileged enough to have watched such a great Hibs team.

The strip as well ... what a strip that was ... it was class! :flag::flag:

H18S NX
09-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Yip,i was there,soaked to the skin,but could not have been happier.

Risboro Hibby
09-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Travelled through as I did to all away matches at that time on Mrs Mac’s Hawkhill bus that managed to get a brick through the window on the way home,so we missed the victory parade.

Game itself was on the main terrace so got absolutely soaked to the skin. But to be fair never noticed how wet I was as I was just hoarse shouting us on as we did play a very good Celtic side off the park that day. Pat Stanton was always my favourite player and that day he confirmed his status in my eyes as a world class player

Did pay for that soaking later as I ended up off school all next week with flu, and even was not well enough to miss the 8 1 drubbing we gave Ayr United the following Saturday.

Ringothedog
09-12-2018, 11:56 AM
It’s funny how as a 12 year old you remember things differently. I was in the main terracing towards the Celtic end with my late dad. I don’t remember the rain but how dark and dismal it was. Me and my friend were threatened by supporters our own age which just made us shout louder in support of the Hibs, it was a great feeling when we won and the glint of the cup in the floodlights when Pat Stanton lifted it is etched in my memory, sadly my dad took me straight home and I missed the parade.

hibeerealist
09-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Yep, 6-2 and 6-1 had us fans worried about any repeats but PS (god) was superb and led the tornadoes to a great win.

Stood all night outside the NB hotel after the parade along Princess Street. Those were the days.....

Was there - had also been to the 6-2, 6-1 as well, so had developed a young ‘fear’ of Celtic at Hampden.

Couldnt believe it was 0-0 at half time and how well we had played against them.

The rain started to come on in the second half, Hibs fans started singing loudly, Celtic went quiet, Stanton was absolutely magnificent as they all were, and 45 minutes later, I had the best football day out.

My dad and uncles drove to The Barnton Hotel to get a drink and I was left in the car with my programme, juice and crisps. Couldn’t have been happier. Great days to be a Hibby.

stantonhibby
09-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Was only 6 so not at the game, but have vivid memory of watching the open top bus going through Corstorphine that night.

hibee_nation
09-12-2018, 12:40 PM
We went through on the football special from Waverley. Train was so slow getting back we had to force our way up Waverley steps to get onto Princess St just in time to see Pat and the boys at the NBH with the trophy.
11 years old i thought it was gonna be a regular occurance [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bradford
09-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Travelled through as I did to all away matches at that time on Mrs Mac’s Hawkhill bus that managed to get a brick through the window on the way home,so we missed the victory parade.

Game itself was on the main terrace so got absolutely soaked to the skin. But to be fair never noticed how wet I was as I was just hoarse shouting us on as we did play a very good Celtic side off the park that day. Pat Stanton was always my favourite player and that day he confirmed his status in my eyes as a world class player

Did pay for that soaking later as I ended up off school all next week with flu, and even was not well enough to miss the 8 1 drubbing we gave Ayr United the following Saturday.

I was a regular on Mrs Mac's Hawkhill bus at that time. I was just saying to someone recently that we did not make the parade back in Edinburgh but could not for the life of me remember why. Thanks for clearing that up.

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 01:37 PM
I was 10 and deemed too young to attend, but I listened to the game on a wee transistor radio that I’d been given for my birthday.
The hoose was in uproar and my dear old ma took me along to the Walk and we got a space at the end of Albert Street to see that magical bus inching its way down. Scottish Cup beats everything but I think I had my most enjoyable six or seven months of being a Hibby right then. I genuinely believed we had the best team in the world and idolised every one of them.

southsider
09-12-2018, 01:52 PM
Eric Stevenson went to Hampden that day. Had a game for Ayr Utd but went to cheer on the Hibs !

Lago
09-12-2018, 01:53 PM

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

Memories please

Truly it was just terrific. That was a team & manager who didn't go into a game hoping to win but expecting to win. Magnificent & I am truly thankful to have watch them in that & many other great games. I am sorry for today's support who weren't there to witness that team.

May21/05/16
09-12-2018, 02:03 PM
I was there with my dad and his friends was great day and night only bettered by 21/05/2916

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Harp
09-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I was there that wonderful day. I'd seen us lift the Summer and Drybrough cups but this was the first major silverware I saw a Hibs captain hold aloft.
I was with a few pals in the west end of the old Hampden main stand which was packed with Hibs fans. It was probably the first game I'd been in a stand and hadn't sat down for the 90 minutes. Two wonder goals from Paddy and wee Jimmy had us in raptures, must admit though, when Dalglish scored late on, we thought "Oh no not again".
This time we had a happy ending though. We celebrated back in town at the Guildford and joined the throng of Hibees outside the old NB hotel. The sight of wee Jimmy standing on the ledge of the balcony has lived with me down the years. What a day and night!

c31
09-12-2018, 02:18 PM

I've still got some glass from that broken window in a wee container along with the programme. Remember getting off the bus in Princess Street and seeing the players with the cup on the balcony of the North British Hotel. I was 13, soaking wet and happy..

Alfiembra
09-12-2018, 03:03 PM
I was 15 went through with my late dad in a borrowed mini that the doors didn’t lock.
Funny how I can remember that but the match is a bit of a blur was on the terracing opposite the main stand quite high up under cover so didn’t get a soaking. My lasting memory though is being surrounded by Celtic supporters at the end as we left the ground that congratulated Hibs and said the best team won. Changed days.

.Sean.
09-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Is there colour highlights anywhere?

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Is there colour highlights anywhere?

Only preceded your Jamie Reid avatar by 4 or 5 years but probably, unthinkably not. Funny to think.

Here’s Lucy!
09-12-2018, 03:51 PM
That Hibs line-up :not worth

Here’s Lucy!
09-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Our Goalie :thumbsup::not worth:greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
09-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Eric Stevenson was due to play for Ayr that day but decided to go to Hampden. Jock Stein spotted him
And ‘grassed’ him to Ally McLeod who fined him
A weeks wages. Eric used to say it was worth it.

Greatest team I ever saw live

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 04:44 PM
1972/73 Jimmy O’Rourke scored six hatricks
After the second goal he ran behind the goal to celebrate looking for his brothers in the stand
He snuck away from the Official Reception at the NB to show his medal to family members at their local pub
Pat Stanton said that when the bus left Easter Road enroute for Hampden a wee laddie tossed a half brick through a windae of the bus at Bothwell Street and by the time they got through to Glasgow they were definitely the wide awake club.

Biggie
09-12-2018, 05:32 PM
My late dad took me through, didn't need to as he wasn't really a footie fan, but thanks pops. A lifelong memory.

Jonnyboy
09-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Quite possibly the best ever performance by Pat Stanton in a Hibs shirt. He was immense that day

Niffy
09-12-2018, 08:21 PM
I was n the roof above The Harp , grandad stayed at 302 Leith Walk and got a cup liftcand wave from Pat. I’d have been 6.

Grandad a jambo but liked both Edin teams

PapillonVert
09-12-2018, 08:27 PM
I was at the 6-1 defeat in the Scottish Cup Final. I remember how bad it felt.

By the time of the League Cup Final, I was in my 5th year at school and working in the local supermarket on a Saturday.

On that day, I remember some of the permanent ladies all bunched around a radio at the back of the shop as we sought an update on what was happening. I remember looking for an excuse to go out the back to gather round the radio and all the comments of 'come on Hibs', 'hold on, Hibs' whilst constantly looking over our shoulders for the manager.

I remember the last couple of minutes as we all kept hoping Hibs would hold on (and the Manager wouldn't catch us out 'skiving'). And then the joy when the final whistle went.

Happy days. :thumbsup:

PapillonVert
09-12-2018, 08:36 PM

By the time of the League Cup Final, I was in my 5th year at school and working in the local supermarket on a Saturday.

On that day, I remember some of the permanent ladies all bunched around a radio at the back of the shop as we sought an update on what was happening. I remember looking for an excuse to go out the back to gather round the radio and all the comments of 'come on Hibs', 'hold on, Hibs' whilst constantly looking over our shoulders for the manager.

I remember the last couple of minutes as we all kept hoping Hibs would hold on (and the Manager wouldn't catch us out 'skiving'). And then the joy when the final whistle went.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 08:39 PM
THE CUP PRESENTATION

WHAT NO PITCH INVASION?

HOW VERY 1972!

https://youtu.be/7x5U3x-VRMk

Argylehibby
09-12-2018, 08:41 PM
My Celtic supporting uncle got 3 main stand tickets through his work and invited me along with him and my cousin. Stayed at their house in Tranent the night before and he drove through. Game was fantastic and despite most of the people around me being Celtic supporters I celebrated both goals (loudly).

When we got back and he took me home his opening line to my dad was along the lines of that I was lucky I didn't get chucked out the car before we left Glasgow. I had been going on and on about Pat Stanton's performance and of course my favourite player, wee Jimmy's goal.

My first trip to Hampden and my 2nd favourite game there!

PapillonVert
09-12-2018, 08:46 PM

I apologise to Hibs.net users. For some reason every time I post, it comes up twice. Even when I try to delete posts, it still does not work. I do apologise.

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 08:48 PM
I apologise to Hibs.net users. For some reason every time I post, it comes up twice. Even when I try to delete posts, it still does not work. I do apologise.

It was worth reading twice.

PapillonVert
09-12-2018, 08:49 PM
It was worth reading twice.

Bless you, Holy Father.

Mick O'Rourke
09-12-2018, 08:55 PM
1972/73 Jimmy O’Rourke scored six hatricks
After the second goal he ran behind the goal to celebrate looking for his brothers in the stand
He snuck away from the Official Reception at the NB to show his medal to family members at their local pub
Pat Stanton said that when the bus left Easter Road enroute for Hampden a wee laddie tossed a half brick through a windae of the bus at Bothwell Street and by the time they got through to Glasgow they were definitely the wide awake club.

He certainly did, Billy.
He jumped in a taxi.
The pub in question some may know as The Fiddlers Arms.
Fit o' the West Port, corner of the 'Market.
Back then it was called "O'Rourke's"
(No relation, but family friends who lived in D/Mains)
Also known The St Giles Bar.
St Giles Branch members used it frequently.
Their bus left from the Market for away games.

Jimmy actually gave his medal to our "Da", Jimmy Devlin ,our grandfather, who was a great influence and encouragement on Jimmy's development as a laddie.

I think Jimmy would have loved to have taken the rest of the team doon tae O'Rourkes that night

Even Eddie T might have enjoyed it as well !!

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Bless you, Holy Father.

Ah ha!

Only came up the once that time.

Must have been the Divine Intervention :greengrin

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Ah ha!

Only came up the once that time.

Must have been the Devine Intervention :greengrin

I’m on my 6th bottle of Sam Smiths organic lager and I can assure you it came up twice my son.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 09:10 PM
I’m on my 6th bottle of Sam Smiths organic lager and I can assure you it came up twice my son.
His bless you holy father post only came up the once so I assumed his computer glitch had now sorted itself
I must confess I had the same problem when I first joined dotnet

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 09:20 PM
His bless you holy father post only came up the once so I assumed his computer glitch had now sorted itself
I must confess I had the same problem when I first joined dotnet

Wooosh! ‘hic!

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Wooosh! ‘hic!
Thank you Father!

monktonharp
09-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Well, we all have our stories from that final, I suppose. I was 18 years old. I had been married, to my lovely wife at that tender age, and was a bit o' a nutter to be honest. the wife and I are still together and she sometimes wonders how it is so! . However, at the game I do remember the Glesga Polis wading in and making some random arrests just before half time in the Hibs end near the Celtic fans .Being the way I was at the time, I decided it was "rather unfair" so decided to kick a Sargent right up the arse!. I was promptly arrested as I did not see his Constable behind me!. I was then thrown into a waggon full o' Celtic fans and a fat speccy barsteward said to me...…..you wan o' they hibby cants? am gonnae get you when we get tae the big hoose! my response was, AYE Ya Ya Fat Weegie, JIST DAE IT NOW!!!!!.He shat hisel and his buddies laughed their c/ocks off. It ended off, that 3 of us from the Porty bus ended up arrested, and we all spent the weekend in Craigie Street Polis station.Fat Boab, fi Garthamlock soon changed his tune when we ganged up on him and his daft mates btw. we then went to the Glasgow Sherriff court and my best mate said....plead guilty, I just got a £50 fine. the other 2 of us did that, and were both remanded for a total of 18 days in a big hoose in Riddrie. I actually stayed in Niddrie, and would rather have stayed there than in Barlinnie Jail .Certainly a learning curve in my life, and I do remember watching a Film there on the 27th of December in the chapel. Steptoe and son, what a classic.! Added to that, I had the prospect of looking forward to the birth of my first child(my young wife was happy of me being in Glasgow as you can imagine) I was eventually released from penal certitude with a nominal fine, and have been a a loyal and upstanding citizen since then. !! the trouble is, my wife told me that if I had even a thought of going to the Derby game in January (0-7) she would walk oot the door! . My first born son warrived on 11/01/73. a bouncing baby hibbie . such is life

monktonharp
09-12-2018, 11:30 PM
not proud of anything I have posted above , only facts. the things ye do when younger .now 65 years old,but cant forget things like that and there will be 2 others on here that wont forget it either. :wink:

oneone73
10-12-2018, 06:28 AM
Well, we all have our stories from that final, I suppose. I was 18 years old. I had been married, to my lovely wife at that tender age, and was a bit o' a nutter to be honest. the wife and I are still together and she sometimes wonders how it is so! . However, at the game I do remember the Glesga Polis wading in and making some random arrests just before half time in the Hibs end near the Celtic fans .Being the way I was at the time, I decided it was "rather unfair" so decided to kick a Sargent right up the arse!. I was promptly arrested as I did not see his Constable behind me!. I was then thrown into a waggon full o' Celtic fans and a fat speccy barsteward said to me...…..you wan o' they hibby cants? am gonnae get you when we get tae the big hoose! my response was, AYE Ya Ya Fat Weegie, JIST DAE IT NOW!!!!!.He shat hisel and his buddies laughed their c/ocks off. It ended off, that 3 of us from the Porty bus ended up arrested, and we all spent the weekend in Craigie Street Polis station.Fat Boab, fi Garthamlock soon changed his tune when we ganged up on him and his daft mates btw. we then went to the Glasgow Sherriff court and my best mate said....plead guilty, I just got a £50 fine. the other 2 of us did that, and were both remanded for a total of 18 days in a big hoose in Riddrie. I actually stayed in Niddrie, and would rather have stayed there than in Barlinnie Jail .Certainly a learning curve in my life, and I do remember watching a Film there on the 27th of December in the chapel. Steptoe and son, what a classic.! Added to that, I had the prospect of looking forward to the birth of my first child(my young wife was happy of me being in Glasgow as you can imagine) I was eventually released from penal certitude with a nominal fine, and have been a a loyal and upstanding citizen since then. !! the trouble is, my wife told me that if I had even a thought of going to the Derby game in January (0-7) she would walk oot the door! . My first born son warrived on 11/01/73. a bouncing baby hibbie . such is life

Classic tale Wullie!

bigwheel
10-12-2018, 06:43 AM

[emoji122][emoji122]. Great authentic story. We all have those young experiences. Better then than later [emoji106][emoji119]

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 06:52 AM

:top marks

Brilliant! Pure Irvine Welsh.

So did you miss the greatest game in history?

:thumbsup:

delbert
10-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Quite possibly the best ever performance by Pat Stanton in a Hibs shirt. He was immense that day

The touch just to move the ball a foot to the right before he hammers it home is just pure class, almost Cruyff like in its execution, one of the most gifted and stylish players I ever saw play the game, Tommy Docherty’s quote of him being better than Bobby Moore wasn’t far off the mark.

Leith's finest
10-12-2018, 04:08 PM

It was East of Scotland Cup day, and I remember playing in a ‘can’t miss ‘ game at St Marks Park and putting a couple past Leith Athletic Goalie Charlie Groom.

Actually got the result at the top of Easter Road where I walked to to get a Pink News and approaching the paper seller bumped into a guy called Gerry Herriot who played for rivals Links United and was coincidentally a Celtic supporter.

He told me the score at the top of Easter Road and my fitba boots went skywards in celebration!

Strange how some things stick in your mind when it comes to Hibs......had no contact with the two guys mentioned since that day, but they are forever stuck in the memory banks due to the Hibs winning the League Cup!

Charlie Groom works as a electrican at burtons biscuits

Here’s Lucy!
10-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Wooosh! ‘hic!

:greengrin

Thank you Father!

Double Wooosh!!!

:rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 04:40 PM
:greengrin

Double Wooosh!!!

:rolleyes:
Wooooooshhhh!

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-12-2018, 05:52 PM

:not worth

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Does anyone remember a wee tractor thing that went round the shale border surrounding the pitch either at the start of the match or at half time and two youth players held up the League Cup or might have been the Drybrough Cup or am I losing my mind?

eastterrace
10-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Does anyone remember a wee tractor thing that went round the shale border surrounding the pitch either at the start of the match or at half time and two youth players held up the League Cup or might have been the Drybrough Cup or am I losing my mind?

Sure it was a dumper truck with the young players standing in it with the trophy’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Sure it was a dumper truck with the young players standing in it with the trophy’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds about right

Thank god I’ve still got my marbles 😁👍🏾

superfurryhibby
10-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Lawnmower with a table and green table cloth over it.

Cannae believe that was 46 years ago.

Gilzean cartoon would have ben a good one in the news on the Monday.

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 06:22 PM

Yip was more lawmower than flat back 😁

Roxyhibee
10-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Yes, looked like a gardeners machine you’d see the janny using at school. I went down to the front wall to get close to it.

This thread is fantastic. Loving every story, even the guys who didn’t make it through.

WoreTheGreen
10-12-2018, 07:32 PM

I’ve got the Gilzean book/album does anyone remember his wee shop at the top of the stairs at the fleshmarket close

Fanforlife
10-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Well, we all have our stories from that final, I suppose. I was 18 years old. I had been married, to my lovely wife at that tender age, and was a bit o' a nutter to be honest. the wife and I are still together and she sometimes wonders how it is so! . However, at the game I do remember the Glesga Polis wading in and making some random arrests just before half time in the Hibs end near the Celtic fans .Being the way I was at the time, I decided it was "rather unfair" so decided to kick a Sargent right up the arse!. I was promptly arrested as I did not see his Constable behind me!. I was then thrown into a waggon full o' Celtic fans and a fat speccy barsteward said to me...…..you wan o' they hibby cants? am gonnae get you when we get tae the big hoose! my response was, AYE Ya Ya Fat Weegie, JIST DAE IT NOW!!!!!.He shat hisel and his buddies laughed their c/ocks off. It ended off, that 3 of us from the Porty bus ended up arrested, and we all spent the weekend in Craigie Street Polis station.Fat Boab, fi Garthamlock soon changed his tune when we ganged up on him and his daft mates btw. we then went to the Glasgow Sherriff court and my best mate said....plead guilty, I just got a £50 fine. the other 2 of us did that, and were both remanded for a total of 18 days in a big hoose in Riddrie. I actually stayed in Niddrie, and would rather have stayed there than in Barlinnie Jail .Certainly a learning curve in my life, and I do remember watching a Film there on the 27th of December in the chapel. Steptoe and son, what a classic.! Added to that, I had the prospect of looking forward to the birth of my first child(my young wife was happy of me being in Glasgow as you can imagine) I was eventually released from penal certitude with a nominal fine, and have been a a loyal and upstanding citizen since then. !! the trouble is, my wife told me that if I had even a thought of going to the Derby game in January (0-7) she would walk oot the door! . My first born son warrived on 11/01/73. a bouncing baby hibbie . such is lifeRemember it all to well Willie,was a big note the fine tho,don't think you &McDonald ever got the snout I handed I for you.Weegies at their best eh!🤣

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 07:47 PM
THE CUP PRESENTATION

WHAT NO PITCH INVASION?

HOW VERY 1972!

https://youtu.be/7x5U3x-VRMk

I have an Edinburgh Evening News Souvenir Scottish League Cup Final poster by Gilzean signed by King Paddy anyone remember them?

It appeared in Rentons room in the film Trainspotting and in the above video.

Leithenhibby
10-12-2018, 09:19 PM
I have an Edinburgh Evening News Souvenir Scottish League Cup Final poster by Gilzean signed by King Paddy anyone remember them?

It appeared in Rentons room in the film Trainspotting and in the above video.

I still have some available for those who are looking for that wee stocking filler, while supporting Marie Curie.
(Cycling North Coast 500 Aug 2019)

As part of my fundraising, this 46-year-old poster (A2 size 420 x 594) Reproduced by permission.
£10 + p&p Or could meet at Game(s)

Drop a PM - GGTTH

Bostonhibby
10-12-2018, 09:26 PM
I’ve got the Gilzean book/album does anyone remember his wee shop at the top of the stairs at the fleshmarket closeLoved it. Used to go there quite a bit. Still got a couple of his books/cartoon drawings somewhere.

superfurryhibby
10-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Loved it. Used to go there quite a bit. Still got a couple of his books/cartoon drawings somewhere.

Imagine putting a few seasons worth of the Gilzean cartoons in a book. They were excellent. Wonder how/ if it could be done?

Bostonhibby
10-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Imagine putting a few seasons worth of the Gilzean cartoons in a book. They were excellent. Wonder how/ if it could be done?I need to get up the loft as I think that's just what I had, a book of his cartoons from the EEN. Mind you the crate it's in has been moved around the country a few times.

tynehibs
11-12-2018, 06:08 AM
I’ve got the Gilzean book/album does anyone remember his wee shop at the top of the stairs at the fleshmarket close
Aye remember those badges he did, I had one with 'gie us a nod big dode '
with a picture of George Stewart scoring a header

Edinburgh Green
13-12-2018, 12:03 PM

My dad has just read this post and has told me that he has a connection with the 2 guys you mention. He worked with Charlie until a year or 2 back when he retired and Gerry is his brother in law. Small world.

Bobo
13-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Aye remember those badges he did, I had one with 'gie us a nod big dode '
with a picture of George Stewart scoring a header

That's one of Gilzean's badges in my avatar, I bought it from his shop in Fleshmarket Close not long after that eventful day at tynecastle :greengrin