PDA

View Full Version : NHC EEN website

Diclonius
08-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Anyone think this is a complete ****ing joke now? Literally 90% of the screen is covered by massive ads, with a tiny bit of content in the middle. You have two side banners, one top banner which follows you down the page, ads in the middle of content and not one but TWO videos which play without your consent. There's also another video that starts playing at the top of the page which is unmuted, and half the time one of the ads redirects you to a completely different website.

I used to check it regularly for Hibs content but I hardly bother now. You can barely ****ing read anything - totally ridiculous.

calumhibee1
08-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Anyone think this is a complete ****ing joke now? Literally 90% of the screen is covered by massive ads, with a tiny bit of content in the middle. You have two side banners, one top banner which follows you down the page, ads in the middle of content and not one but TWO videos which play without your consent. There's also another video that starts playing at the top of the page which is unmuted, and half the time one of the ads redirects you to a completely different website.

I used to check it regularly for Hibs content but I hardly bother now. You can barely ****ing read anything - totally ridiculous.

:agree: it’s a shocker of a website now.

MSK
08-12-2018, 06:34 PM

I used to check it regularly for Hibs content but I hardly bother now. You can barely ****ing read anything - totally ridiculous.Think if you actually subscribe then adverts are limited, non subscribers get bombarded with ads

McD
08-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Its also terribly slow, and whilst loading the many adverts and videos (which are always there before the article you’ve clicked on and want to read), the page jumps about a lot

its a joke of a site to try to use

matty_f
It's rank.

hibby6270
:agree: it’s a shocker of a website now.

You’re right. However, bear in mind Johnstone Press have recently gone into administration and it probably explains the multitude of adverts per page now. They need to make money somehow. :agree:

Having said that, other newspaper sites are just as bad. :rolleyes:

Ryan69
08-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Plus you quite often have todo a survey(which they get paid for) to access content.

Plus it generally streams a video,which is bloody annoying if low on data

hibbyfraelibby
08-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Never visit it any more. Hootsmon/EEN bias from politics to football makes it an unattractive option.

They allowed Yoons to destroy the political comments pages and that eejit TOTT to turn the football comments into a home for deluded Rollands

Hell mend them.

H18S NX
08-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Try ublock,stops the videos and ads.

Hibs Class
08-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Of the sites I visit regularly the EEN is the worst by a distance

Speedway
08-12-2018, 07:15 PM
It’s unreadable on mobile

Carheenlea
08-12-2018, 07:18 PM

:agree:

I don’t have the patience to attempt to decipher their online articles any more.

Gloucester Hibs
08-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Ever tried to read the Facebook comments at the bottom of the article? It’s like a game: are you able to read them before the constantly spawning clickbait articles push them further down the page?

RyeSloan
08-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Ever tried to read the Facebook comments at the bottom of the article? It’s like a game: are you able to read them before the constantly spawning clickbait articles push them further down the page?

Ha ha I spotted that during the week when I was gamely trying to navigate THE worst web site ever created....never got to the comments as I gave up after 5 attempts to beat the click bait spawns [emoji23]

Keith_M
08-12-2018, 07:28 PM
If you use Firefox, try AdblockPlus. Works well for me.

CMac1988
08-12-2018, 07:33 PM
Adblock Plus or Ublock origin.

Disable it for sites that are not obtrusive and you want to support. Enable it for those who take the piss.

calumhibee1
08-12-2018, 07:35 PM

That’s what I always use it on and it really is unusable. Wasn’t like that until recently aswell.

Jones28
08-12-2018, 07:40 PM

It's dreadful.

Fife-Hibee
08-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Download adblock. It generally does the trick. Unless a website detects it and asks you to disable it.

heretoday
08-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Adblock Plus or Ublock origin.

Disable it for sites that are not obtrusive and you want to support. Enable it for those who take the piss.

I just acquired it and it certainly makes a difference. :aok:

IrnBru22
08-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Whilst we’re on the subject, the HibsTV website is awful on a mobile phone too. (I don’t mean adverts)

jacomo
08-12-2018, 09:10 PM
You’re right. However, bear in mind Johnstone Press have recently gone into administration and it probably explains the multitude of adverts per page now. They need to make money somehow. :agree:

Having said that, other newspaper sites are just as bad. :rolleyes:

Funnily enough, the most successful web companies have websites that are a pleasure to use. Johnston Press took the opposite approach for some reason.

G B Young
10-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Just attempted to read today's Hibs stories on there. Next to impossible and gave up in frustration. I couldn't even click on the story I wanted.

They seem to set a lot of store by which of the stories are most popular judging by the wee chart at the side of the web page. You have to ask who is actually managing to read these stories to make them popular??

happiehibbie
10-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Awful just awful

Keith_M
10-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Just attempted to read today's Hibs stories on there. Next to impossible and gave up in frustration. I couldn't even click on the story I wanted.

They seem to set a lot of store by which of the stories are most popular judging by the wee chart at the side of the web page. You have to ask who is actually managing to read these stories to make them popular??

Did you try with an Ad Blocker?

SirDavidsNapper
10-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Who reads websites these days anyway? Buying papers is the future

G B Young
11-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Did you try with an Ad Blocker?

No, I'm not really that bothered. But if I was I think it's crazy that you have to do something like that in order to be able to read a website. I get that they have to boost their revenues somehow, but putting people off reading the stories by swamping it with adverts and making the stories difficult to actually access can't be the wisest means of doing so.

Biggie
11-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Finding the same with my ******* phone these days......everytime I unlock it, 2 ads pop up.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggggghhhhhhhh
No idea what s/w I've loaded that could cause this but it's a major ballache

Col L
11-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Who reads websites these days anyway? Buying papers is the future

:top marks

Just Alf
11-12-2018, 04:57 PM
With newspapers online precence being so important these days you wonder why theirs is the way it is, no wonder they were/are close to going to the wall... Maybe those in charge are too old school and the modern age has passed them by.

I've a picture in my head of some 17 year old apprentice hiding somewhere managing the Web site and setting half the revenue to go their direction!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

heretoday
11-12-2018, 07:39 PM
With newspapers online precence being so important these days you wonder why theirs is the way it is, no wonder they were/are close to going to the wall... Maybe those in charge are too old school and the modern age has passed them by.

I've a picture in my head of some 17 year old apprentice hiding somewhere managing the Web site and setting half the revenue to go their direction!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
😁 The modern equivalent of the Spot The Ball department taking a cut of the cash!