PDA

View Full Version : Women's World Cup Draw

cabbageandribs1875
08-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Group A : France, Korea, Norway and Nigeria

Group B: Germany, China, Spain and South Africa

Group C : Australia, Italy, Brazil and Jamaica

Group D: England, Scotland, Argentina and Japan.... (of course)

Group E : Canada, Cameroon, New Zealand and Holland

Group G: USA,Thailand, Chile and Sweden

Benny Brazil
08-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Just about the worse draw we could get

The 90+2
08-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Do two teams progress?

hibsbollah
08-12-2018, 04:57 PM

They were flagging up the nightmare draw beforehand and that was pretty close to it. Japan are a strong seed 4 team and England and USA were definitely the seed 1 teams to avoid.

cabbageandribs1875
08-12-2018, 04:58 PM

game v Argentina is our final :) will be a great experience for our ladies though

Lago
08-12-2018, 04:58 PM
They were flagging up the nightmare draw beforehand and that was pretty close to it. Japan are a strong seed 4 team and England and USA were definitely the seed 1 teams to avoid.
Don't think they could have got a harder group.

GordonHFC
08-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Do two teams progress?

Yes. Plus the best 4 third placed teams.

Benny Brazil
08-12-2018, 05:07 PM

Yes Japan won it in 2011 and were runner's up last time- England are one of the favourites overall so going to be tough for the girl's

Brightside
08-12-2018, 05:25 PM
I’ll be there. Fancy us to surprise a few.

Frazerbob
08-12-2018, 06:49 PM
So, with the SFA refusing to stand in the way of the woman’s Team GB team competing in the olympics, we now have the ridiculous situation where Scottish players with ambitions to play in said team, wanting England to proceed at our expense. Shambles.

hibsbollah
08-12-2018, 06:52 PM
So, with the SFA refusing to stand in the way of the woman’s Team GB team competing in the olympics, we now have the ridiculous situation where Scottish players with ambitions to play in said team, wanting England to proceed at our expense. Shambles.

:confused: Explain this please?

Frazerbob
08-12-2018, 06:56 PM
:confused: Explain this please?

England have been selected to represent GB at the Olympics, if they qualify. The World Cup acts as the qualifying tournament. If they qualify, they will be able to select players from the other home nations. The SFA just last week announced that they would not stop any Scottish player from participating, if selected. So, if any Scots want to be an Olympian, they will need England to progress from the group. A clear conflict of interests.

hibsbollah
08-12-2018, 07:07 PM
England have been selected to represent GB at the Olympics, if they qualify. The World Cup acts as the qualifying tournament. If they qualify, they will be able to select players from the other home nations. The SFA just last week announced that they would not stop any Scottish player from participating, if selected. So, if any Scots want to be an Olympian, they will need England to progress from the group. A clear conflict of interests.

Ok, thanks. But I'd imagine beating England in a world cup would be a bigger draw than Olympic qualification no? June 9th in Nice, first game,fab stadium, great city, cheap flights, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a massive crowd.

ekhibee
08-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Don't think England or Japan will win the world cup. The USA are a long, long way in front of anybody else.

Frazerbob
08-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Ok, thanks. But I'd imagine beating England in a world cup would be a bigger draw than Olympic qualification no? June 9th in Nice, first game,fab stadium, great city, cheap flights, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a massive crowd.

I’ve no idea how the the players will view it. It shouldn’t be a issue at all though. It’s farcical IMHO.

Saturday Boy
08-12-2018, 08:51 PM
I’ve no idea how the the players will view it. It shouldn’t be a issue at all though. It’s farcical IMHO.

Agreed. The very idea that England could qualify for the 2020 Olympic Games in women’s football, when it’s GB competing, is appalling.

And so little press coverage.