PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw

DetroitHibs
08-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Thought the lad deserves a shout out. Two goals in two games for him and hoping now he's cemented his place in the starting 11. Said all season he offers more to the team than Maclaren and much prefer we build him up and develop him in the first team. He still needs to bulk up a little bit, but I think the lad has a lot of potential.

MSK
08-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Thought the lad deserves a shout out. Two goals in two games for him and hoping now he's cemented his place in the starting 11. Said all season he offers more to the team than Maclaren and much prefer we build him up and develop him in the first team. He still needs to bulk up a little bit, but I think the lad has a lot of potential.Why does he have to bulk up ? He is fine as he is, Peter Crouch was hardly bulked up but it never done him any harm

franck sauzee
08-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Why does he have to bulk up ? He is fine as he is, Peter Crouch was hardly bulked up but it never done him any harm

I'm a great fan of his but he does need a bit more strength which will come in time

MWHIBBIES
08-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Doesn't need to bulk up at all. Just needs support, playtime and to keep improving.

Delighted he's showing his talent and proving many wrong. Great prospect.

MSK
08-12-2018, 05:50 PM
I'm a great fan of his but he does need a bit more strength which will come in timeI think the more experience he gains playing regularly against big centre halfs will also be of benefit, doesnt mean he has to bulk up, although it did work with McGinn when he got his erse cheek implants 😆

Unseen work
08-12-2018, 05:53 PM
It’s not necessarily just bulking up (although it would help) he just needs to get used to this level and learn to use his body better or better movement to give himself half a yard of space.

Scored 2 big goals the past 2 games so he deserves a lot of praise, especially when he gets so much stick on here.

DTS
08-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Sick of all the “he’s not good enough, needs to bulk up” chat. He wins more in the air than Kamberi and MacLaren combined. That’s also correct me if I’m wrong 4 league goals in only 5 starts this season! Oli shaw has huge potential and I think as the season goes on he will flourish and finish the season in double figures if he continues to get a run, all his goals have been scored in and around the penalty spot to the 6 yard box the same as MacLaren but he offers more in build up and off the ball than Jamie

The_Horde
08-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Sick of all the “he’s not good enough, needs to bulk up” chat. He wins more in the air than Kamberi and MacLaren combined. That’s also correct me if I’m wrong 4 league goals in only 5 starts this season! Oli shaw has huge potential and I think as the season goes on he will flourish and finish the season in double figures if he continues to get a run, all his goals have been scored in and around the penalty spot to the 6 yard box the same as MacLaren but he offers more in build up and off the ball than Jamie

10 goals and only 15 starts in total. Decent going.

Still not sure he's ready but there's definitely goals in him for sure.

wookie70
08-12-2018, 06:17 PM
No idea how he features so little given the form of our other strikers. He will be a very good player and is easily good enough to feature regularly for us especially given our lack of front men

WestCoastHibby
08-12-2018, 06:20 PM
He's doing great. Kamberi is off the boil, Mclaren isn't near a simmer and Slivka hasn't paid the gas......

Jones28
08-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Maybe stop pinging balls off his chest and play it to feet, and watch the boy fly.

Brooster
08-12-2018, 06:33 PM
He certainly knows how to score goals. Keep him in the team as he will only get better.

truehibernian
08-12-2018, 06:49 PM
His stats are great for a young lad just coming into the side / squad. Would like to know how he compares to recent strikers when they've made the jump from reserves / development to the first team (JC, Kenny Miller, Fletcher). He must rank very high goals / games ratio.

Bearing mind his age, he's now scored in cups, league games, semi finals and Europe. Not many 20 year old strikers can say that anywhere in Scotland.

sauzee6_2
08-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Anyone who thinks Shaw doesn’t need more strength is kidding themselves on.

There is a difference between bulk and strength - he definitely needs more strength!

Fantastic he scored again today, but goals against St Mirren and Hamilton doesn’t make him the finished article.

Without doubt he needs to hit the weights.

emerald green
08-12-2018, 06:51 PM
It's great to see both Oli Shaw and Ryan Porteous making it into the first team via the academy.

truehibernian
08-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Anyone who thinks Shaw doesn’t need more strength is kidding themselves on.

There is a difference between bulk and strength - he definitely needs more strength!

Fantastic he scored again today, but goals against St Mirren and Hamilton doesn’t make him the finished article.

Without doubt he needs to hit the weights.

Watch Steven Fletcher and Deek when they were 20 year olds - Deek in particular was about 8 stone in a rainstorm. Yes, he may need to work on upper body but he makes up for it meantime with his instincts and positioning. You don't need to be 'physical' for that kind of game / movement.

DetroitHibs
08-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Why does he have to bulk up ? He is fine as he is, Peter Crouch was hardly bulked up but it never done him any harm

Getting stronger and more physical will improve his game and stop defenders out muscling him. Might not look it, but Crouch was big and strong, gives defenders a nightmare of a time.

Onion
08-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Great to see his confidence and influence on the game grow as the match went on' Had a really good game after he scored and looked like the Old that burst onto the scene last season.

cmcd
08-12-2018, 07:21 PM
His stats are great for a young lad just coming into the side / squad. Would like to know how he compares to recent strikers when they've made the jump from reserves / development to the first team (JC, Kenny Miller, Fletcher). He must rank very high goals / games ratio.

Bearing mind his age, he's now scored in cups, league games, semi finals and Europe. Not many 20 year old strikers can say that anywhere in Scotland.

Jimmy O'rourke

Shrekko
08-12-2018, 08:05 PM
You’re never surprised at football fans these days but the recent comments on Shaw by some fans are as ridiculous as I’ve seen.

A number of people have actually written him off at 20 and for the life of me I’ve no idea why. Goal scoring record is very good and his overall play is improving at a decent rate.

His hold up play has been 10 times better than the other 2 main strikers.

In the toilets at the end of the game there was two idiots claiming he’d done nothing except score. He’d showed lots of nice touches in reality.

Hi Heid Yin
08-12-2018, 08:09 PM
I think the more experience he gains playing regularly against big centre halfs will also be of benefit, doesnt mean he has to bulk up, although it did work with McGinn when he got his erse cheek implants 😆

:tee hee::tee hee:

Hi Heid Yin
08-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Oli Shaw is easing his way into being a first team regular starter.

I rate him and feel that the best of him is yet to come - Hopefully in the green and white.

Barney McGrew
08-12-2018, 08:12 PM
He played much better today, he worked very hard, made some intelligent runs and was unlucky not to score more.

hibsbollah
08-12-2018, 08:12 PM
You’re never surprised at football fans these days but the recent comments on Shaw by some fans are as ridiculous as I’ve seen.

A number of people have actually written him off at 20 and for the life of me I’ve no idea why. Goal scoring record is very good and his overall play is improving at a decent rate.

In the toilets at the end of the game there was two idiots claiming he’d done nothing except score. He’d showed lots of nice touches in reality.

The thing that's impressed me most since I first saw him is his hold up play and cute passing, to be honest, and I'm always baffled that folk on here have been critical of him for those very things:confused:

pentlando
08-12-2018, 08:18 PM
The thing that's impressed me most since I first saw him is his hold up play and cute passing, to be honest, and I'm always baffled that folk on here have been critical of him for those very things:confused:

I thought he did very little else than score goals last season but noticed a big improvement in his all round game since the start of this season. I think he's the most natural goalscorer we've produced in my lifetime (30 next month)

Gloucester Hibs
08-12-2018, 08:25 PM
I would say bulking up a bit might be worthwhile and add another string to his bow, so to speak. Can recall Darren Jackson hitting the weights and his performances definitely improved, earning him Scotland caps and a move to the smellies.

EH54
08-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Oli Shaw's havin' a party.

Pete
08-12-2018, 08:48 PM
One of the best finishers at the club. 👍🏼

Ryan69
08-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Thought the lad deserves a shout out. Two goals in two games for him and hoping now he's cemented his place in the starting 11. Said all season he offers more to the team than Maclaren and much prefer we build him up and develop him in the first team. He still needs to bulk up a little bit, but I think the lad has a lot of potential.

Completely agree...

He certainly knows where the goals are...and delighted for him

SquashedFrogg
08-12-2018, 08:57 PM

I think many posts on here over the last few weeks hqve had some dubious comments. Ironically most authors aren't on here tonight. Funny that.

Hibees1973
08-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Delighted for him today....a goal in each of the last 2 games. At a time when we need players to step up, Shaw has put more experienced players in the Hibs squad to shame.

He doesn’t hide, which has taken courage given our recent run.

Keep up the good form Ollie.

Stevie Watson
08-12-2018, 09:40 PM
I don’t have stats to hand, perhaps someone can help?, but I would guess his goals to minutes ratio is up there with any of his predecessors

Gaffer1875
08-12-2018, 09:45 PM
For someone so tall he barely wins anything in the air. I like Shaw though, always gives 100% and his goals recently have been good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
08-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Delighted for him today....a goal in each of the last 2 games. At a time when we need players to step up, Shaw has put more experienced players in the Hibs squad to shame.

He doesn’t hide, which has taken courage given our recent run.

Keep up the good form Ollie.Yup both him and Porto are putting some more experienced squad members to shame at the moment...they have both stepped right up in the last 2 games..some more experienced squad members should take note ...

Thought both olly and Porto were 2 of our best today along with Hyndman and Ambrose

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sauzee6_2
08-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Watch Steven Fletcher and Deek when they were 20 year olds - Deek in particular was about 8 stone in a rainstorm. Yes, he may need to work on upper body but he makes up for it meantime with his instincts and positioning. You don't need to be 'physical' for that kind of game / movement.

Ok, what was Dereks game?

He had pace (didn’t last long), never won a header and rarely beat a defender with a trick.

Ollie Shaw is completely different from Derek. Ollie Shaw needs to hit the weights and improve his bottle (too many half hearted 50:50’s).

Keep going Ollie, but keep grafting!

DetroitHibs
08-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Definitely not the finished article, but has huge potential to go far. Lennon could be the right manager to give him the self belief and arrogance he needs to be a great player.

Hi Heid Yin
08-12-2018, 10:55 PM
I thought he did verylittle else than score goals last season but noticed a big improvement in his all round game since the start of this season. I think he's the most natural goalscorer we've produced in my lifetime (30 next month)

The key reason I rate him is that he is a "natural goal scorer". This is a "gift" that few footballers have.

Yes, he is still a work in progress, but what a gift to have.

PS: I'm still incensed him being denied that "winner" against The Jambos by incompetent officials.

Hibee Mac
08-12-2018, 11:10 PM
That's 4 points he's gained us the last 2 games (with the help of others I know)

monktonharp
08-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Shaw has has done very well, getting to where he is at this stage. scored in the last 2 games, and hit the post at the Killie game. if it had went other side, it was a goal which brought us right back in. not the finished article, as many have said but going in the right direction pretty fast

lord bunberry
08-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Oli Shaw's havin' a party.
Bring the vodka.....

lord bunberry
08-12-2018, 11:30 PM
I don’t have stats to hand, perhaps someone can help?, but I would guess his goals to minutes ratio is up there with any of his predecessors
I would have thought it would compare very favourably with any of our previous young strikers. The guys a goal machine.

hibsbollah
08-12-2018, 11:39 PM

This season for Shaw it looks like 9 starts, 5 goals.

Hi Heid Yin
09-12-2018, 12:12 AM
This season for Shaw it looks like 9 starts, 5 goals.

That is an impressive stat.

DetroitHibs
09-12-2018, 12:51 AM
Definitely in our best interest to keep persevering with young Oli and getting behind him. Look at the lad Shankland the Don's let go. Sometimes it's just game time and experience these lads need to really reach there full potential.

AZhibee
09-12-2018, 01:41 AM
Cliff Pike mistook Shaw for Kamberi on the goal, he's bulked up enough to pass for Flo!
:flag:

J-C
09-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Cracking young player with bags of talent and knows how to score, more game time will only see him get better.