PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Cup Final in its entirety

magnificent_seven
07-12-2018, 11:53 PM
This is the first time I have watched it the full way through since I was there that day.

Stokes was unbelievable that afternoon. Absolutely unplayable at times. He could have taken 5 goals off Rangers. Terrific stuff.

magnificent_seven
07-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Also - that Gray winner. I can still close my eyes and picture it going in from where I was standing. What a moment.

Hulk1875
08-12-2018, 12:42 AM
Only watched the first disc I’ve now put on the the final, it’s not going good for us right now but think back to that day. We’ll get over this bad run. Last season we pushed for 2nd we all expected the same but it was a hard task to follow

BILLYHIBS
08-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Cannae watch it without blubbing like a big bairn :boo hoo:

hibbydog
08-12-2018, 07:49 AM
However bad things get, nobody can take that day away from us. Yes, we’re struggling at the moment but it would have been some seriously shan times if we’d been beaten that day.

GGTTH

Jones28
08-12-2018, 07:55 AM
I honestly think if stokes effort had gone in instead of crashed off the post we'd have won 4 or 5 nil - and he'd have had a hat trick.

Sir David Gray
08-12-2018, 08:27 AM
The performance from Stokes that day was the best individual performance by any Hibs player in any match in my lifetime (30 years).

He tore their defence to shreds that day and could easily have scored 2 or 3 more.

Stokes' part in that final will be spoken about for years to come.

.Sean.
08-12-2018, 08:29 AM
I honestly think if stokes effort had gone in instead of crashed off the post we'd have won 4 or 5 nil - and he'd have had a hat trick.
It was 1 all when he hit the post mate

GreenArmyyy!
08-12-2018, 08:32 AM
I’ll go as far to say as that’s the best individual performance we will ever witness watching Hibs. Just absolutely incredible stuff. He was like a man possessed and walked on to the pitch with the mindset of “I’m not letting us lose today”.

He will forever be one of the biggest legends in our clubs history.

🔥🔥🔥

Onceinawhile
08-12-2018, 08:44 AM

😂😂

Pretty much straight from our kick off. Tbf, if we'd taken one of the chances we had before they equalised it might have been a rout.

Eyrie
08-12-2018, 09:30 AM
This is the first time I have watched it the full way through since I was there that day.

Stokes was unbelievable that afternoon. Absolutely unplayable at times. He could have taken 5 goals off Rangers. Terrific stuff.
One time when I was watching the match I tried counting the number of attempts Stokes had and I think it was about twelve, which was pretty much the same as the entire Sevco team.

Regardless of how often I watch it, I still can't believe that one doesn't go in.

danhibees1875
08-12-2018, 09:47 AM
One time when I was watching the match I tried counting the number of attempts Stokes had and I think it was about twelve, which was pretty much the same as the entire Sevco team.

Regardless of how often I watch it, I still can't believe that one doesn't go in.

No way rangers created 12 chances! I don't think Logan made a single save the entire game actually. :confused:

Stokes was simply incredible that day.

Smartie
08-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Delighted to see the appreciation for Stokes on here.

"Time for Heroes".

Many hibbies had been waiting a lifetime for someone to stand up and be counted when it mattered most.

He (amongst others) did that, and irrespective of what happens throughout the rest of his career and life we mustn't ever forget that.

Northernhibee
08-12-2018, 10:22 AM
You can’t downplay the part Hendo played either. Where Stokes was fired up and created a ton of chances to change the game, Hendo was cool as a cucumber and made the most of the two that presented themselves. Two corners, two perfect deliveries, two goals. Awesome.

Killiehibbie
08-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Watched it again just to make sure Stokes was as good as I thought:agree:

SirDavidsNapper
08-12-2018, 10:41 AM
I didn't really know what "unplayable" ment until that final. Rangers had absolutely no idea how to cope with him. He could have had 5 or 6 that day. Incredible performance.

Northernhibee
08-12-2018, 10:59 AM
We had a few 10/10 performances that day. Stokes, Hendo, SDG, McGinn.

Most of the rest were 9/10. Hanlon, Stevenson, McGeouch, Fyvie, Fonts, Gunnarrson

McGregor was an 8 for the first goal, Cummings had an off day but his assist for the first was a nice pass and Logan didn’t have much to do. Keatings was an effective sub and after he kept getting pesters and comments of “no team has been successful with a diamond” Stubbs quick thinkin* to change formation, take off Cummings and Fonts and go with the formation we were used to despite the drop in form Stubbs got the decisions bang on the button that day.

We could have played Man City that day and won.

Ryan69
08-12-2018, 11:06 AM
With about 12 mins togo(when it looked like Gray was going togo off injured.)

Was absolutely inspirational from him!

Col2
08-12-2018, 11:31 AM
The performance from Stokes that day was the best individual performance by any Hibs player in any match in my lifetime (30 years).

He tore their defence to shreds that day and could easily have scored 2 or 3 more.

Stokes' part in that final will be spoken about for years to come.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. He was unplayable that day and given his critics he stepped up to the occasion like nobody else has in my time of watching Hibs to play the most significant part in our greatest moment.

kaimendhibs
08-12-2018, 11:41 AM
We battered Sevco that day, 3 2 actually flattered them. Stokes was absolutely brilliant and should never have to pay for a drink in Leith ever again

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

hibbydog
08-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Aye but that effort was so good it should have counted as a goal for us and one taken away for them 😃

SouthMoroccoStu
08-12-2018, 12:16 PM
I still stand in nervous anticipation before Henderson delivers the second corner....

Anyone else?

Eyrie
08-12-2018, 02:02 PM
I still stand in nervous anticipation before Henderson delivers the second corner....

Anyone else?

Nope. I'm as calm watching it now as I was at the time.

On the other hand, it took several seconds before the equaliser sunk in.

Jones28
08-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Aw *****, 4 or 5 1 then? 😂😂

AK86
08-12-2018, 04:54 PM
My heart and spirit both still fall when Halliday makes it 2-1!! I did think on the day , that that was that and we had blown it again.

Didnt work out that way , though , did it!!

Jamesie
08-12-2018, 05:04 PM
My heart and spirit both still fall when Halliday makes it 2-1!! I did think on the day , that that was that and we had blown it again.

I think Halliday’s goal, and his reaction to it, makes the win even more special. In some ways winning it the way we did was more special for me than had it been 4-0 or 5-0.

My favourite period in the whole match is after Stokes’ equaliser. It feels like we are marching towards the hand of fate with only one possible outcome. I’ve never experienced ten minutes of football that can remotely resemble that period and I doubt I ever will again.

dalkeith stu
08-12-2018, 06:00 PM

I love it!! I always cheer and give it the "Halliday has surely won the cup for Sevco!!" commentary!!

we are hibs
08-12-2018, 06:05 PM
That whole weekend felt surreal. It didn't sink in properly for weeks and that relief/gloating feeling lasted weeks rather than days. I still don't remember a thing from the moment I arrived back in Edinburgh on the 21st until the Tuesday morning

Northernhibee
08-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Tell you what, on the Sky coverage at the start when Stubbs talks about his battle with cancer and the other Hibs fans he's spoken to who were battling it, when he says "if we win then my medal is getting donated" is the single most Hibs class moment I can ever remember.

An absolute gentleman who has been treated terribly since leaving Hibs.

southsider
09-12-2018, 11:21 AM
With about 12 mins togo(when it looked like Gray was going togo off injured.)

Was absolutely inspirational from him!

He chased back & put in an incredible tackle to win us a throw. The rest, as they say, is history.