PDA

View Full Version : Best two forwards ever at Easter Rd?

Hibby soldier
07-12-2018, 03:24 PM
I'd have to go for Joe Baker Neil Martin
Love to see them in today's game..

oneone73
07-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Best two I've seen would have to be Gordon and O'Rourke

Hibby soldier
07-12-2018, 03:25 PM
PS.

Never seen famous five play so cannot pick them..

Bostonhibby
07-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Best two I've seen would have to be Gordon and O'RourkeLikewise

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Dan Sarf
07-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Gordon Smith

Joe Baker

Fact

:flag:

AgentDaleCooper
07-12-2018, 03:36 PM
In my lifetime, deek and gaz as a combo, would have loved to have seen killen and sparky play together though.

Earlydelivery
07-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Alan Gordon and Jimmy O’rourke

Here’s Lucy!
07-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Gordon and O'Rourke in my lifetime.

The 90+2
07-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Riordan and Zitelli.

Sammy7nil
07-12-2018, 04:20 PM
In recent times Riordan and Griffiths

Forza Fred
07-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Gordon and O’Rourke for me.

Never saw that much of Joe Baker, but his brother Gerry was a terrific centre forward for us too.

Tom Hart RIP
07-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Jimmy O and Alan were outstanding

Biggie
07-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Amen bro

whereswallace?
07-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Riordan and Griffiths in my lifetime. I almost took Fletcher over Griffiths.

Here’s Lucy!
07-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Jimmy O and Alan were outstanding

The best.

An incredible forward line in general. In fact, an incredible team.

:not worth

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2018, 04:45 PM
It seems most replies are naming strikers they have seen.
The OP asked for best 2 forwards !

When i first watched Hibernian,we played with 5 forwards :greengrin

So any one member of our two finest forward lines would get my mention.

Arthur Duncan scored more goals in one season (as a winger) than some strikers mentioned

As for strikers

Steve Cowan was top scorer in Scotland at the end of his first season at the club.

A wee,nay,big mention for centre forwards Gerry Baker and Joe McBride :wink:

Here’s Lucy!
07-12-2018, 04:49 PM
The OP asked for best 2 forwards

Arthur Duncan scored more goals in one season (as a winger) than some strikers mentioned

As for strikers

Steve Cowan was top scorer in Scotland at the end of his first season at the club.

But did he mean two that had played alongside each other, or just any random two, from maybe different eras?

Wilson
07-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Kamberi and MacLaren - give them some decent service! :cb

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2018, 04:54 PM
But did he mean two that had played alongside each other, or just any random two, from maybe different eras?

If its strike partners in the same team, the majority have went for Alan G and Jimmy O
Who am i to argue with that !
The thread does have me salivating at some wonderful forwards i saw at Hibernian.
What price Alex Edwards in todays transfer markets ?

Here’s Lucy!
Kamberi and MacLaren - give them some decent service! :cb

You're not playing fair!! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
This
Exactly what went through my mind when I read this threads title

fat freddy
07-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Bobby Hutchison and Paul Wright

Here’s Lucy!
07-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Bobby Hutchison and Paul Wright

Won't be many going for him, or indeed who remember him!

CockneyRebel
07-12-2018, 05:03 PM

As for strikers

Aye - Cowan and Durie were a great combination although when Durie went to Chelsea Cowan's goals dried up immediately.

One Day
07-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon. Alan Gordon was the best headerer of a ball I've seen

Eyrie
07-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Never saw any of them play, but it would have to be Gordon Smith and either Lawrie Reilly or Joe Baker.

HibbyAndy
07-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Riordan and Griffiths

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon. Alan Gordon was the best headerer of a ball I've seen
When was the last time we had a centre forward that almost won the Golden Boot?
( If such a thing currently exists?)

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Won't be many going for him, or indeed who remember him!
Bobby Hutchisons face used to go like the Belisha Beacon and Paul Wright was on fire for us until Neil Berry broke his leg in a horrendous tackle

Jones28
07-12-2018, 06:38 PM
The O'Connor/Riordan partnership in my time watching Hibs, and Griffiths as an individual.

hibsbollah
07-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Historically surely it has to be Joe Baker and Gordon Smith? Allegedly amongst the best in the world in their era.

Lago
07-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Me too, what a combination.

Famous Fiver
07-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Gordon Smith

Willie Hamilton.

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Historically surely it has to be Joe Baker and Gordon Smith? Allegedly amongst the best in the world in their era.

I take it you never had the pleasure of seeing Gordon and ORourke ?

What a combination a partnership made in heaven

scoopyboy
07-12-2018, 06:48 PM

As for strikers

A bit hard to say if you haven't seen them though!!!!

For all we know there could have been somebody brilliant in the 1880s or 1920s but we haven't heard of them.

Gordon and O'Rourke were my favourites when I was at school probably when I was at my most impressionable. It was only recently that I discovered that Alan Gordon didn't actually play an awful lot of games for Hibs and partnered Jimmy in less than 50 games (if I'm recalling the conversation correctly).

scoopyboy
07-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Gordon Smith

Willie Hamilton.

Genuine question, was Willie Hamilton a forward?

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 06:58 PM

For all we know there could have been somebody brilliant in the 1880s or 1920s but we haven't heard of them.

Gordon and O'Rourke were my favourites when I was at school probably when I was at my most impressionable. It was only recently that I discovered that Alan Gordon didn't actually play an awful lot of games for Hibs and partnered Jimmy in less than 50 games (if I'm recalling the conversation correctly).

Alan Gordon played 143 games for HIBS scoring 82 goals over four seasons not a bad return his only problem was all his brains were in his heid according to Eddie Turnbull

greenpaper55
07-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Joe Baker, how many Scottish players could play in Serie A ? he played in the equivalent in the early sixties and i doubt we will ever see the likes again. My second choice would be Neil Martin, signed from QOS but what a find ! scored a lot of goals for us in only a few seasons before moving to England.

scoopyboy
07-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Alan Gordon played 143 games for HIBS scoring 82 goals over four seasons not a bad return his only problem was all his brains were in his heid according to Eddie Turnbull

Signed in January 1972 and left in November 74, less than three years at the club.

Goals to games ratio superb.

greenpaper55
07-12-2018, 07:14 PM
Neil Martin, 65 appearances and 53 goals ! Not a bad record.

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2018, 07:15 PM

Yes, the term back then would be "inside forward" . 8 or 10
In the days when strips were numbered 1 to 11
Willie Hamilton was the finest player i saw in a Hibernian jersey .
Am not alone there.
Pat Stanton and Jimmy O'Rourke are but two former players who rated Willie as the best player they played alongside at ER.

Jock Stein said Willie was one of the most gifted players he ever managed.
He compared Willie to Dalglish
Willie was a footballing genius.
The trouble was he seemed to treat football as his hobby and not a real job.
He glided through games.

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Signed in January 1972 and left in November 74, less than three years at the club.

Goals to games ratio superb.

Current forwards take note

Alan Gordon 143 games 82 goals

Hibernia&Alba
07-12-2018, 07:20 PM
I would say Deek and Sparky in recent years. O'Connor in his pomp was very good. As a kid, seeing Steve Archibald was a joy. I was devastated when he left after just one season.

The Harp
07-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Gordon Smith would have to be my no.1
The other would be Joe Baker.
Even Lawrie Reilly regarded Joe as a better striker than himself because of the quality of the forward line he was a member of compared to Joe.

monktonharp
07-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Best two I've seen would have to be Gordon and O'Rourke the Dream Ticket , Drew:thumbsup:

killie-hibby
07-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Joe Baker is the best forward I have seen playing forHibs.I find it difficult to choose between Bobby Johnston and Willie Hamilton for second place.

monktonharp
07-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Gordon and O’Rourke for me.

Never saw that much of Joe Baker, but his brother Gerry was a terrific centre forward for us too.2 English Internationalists, both on the Hibs books! Saw Joe, but only had a chewin' gum sticker of Gerry.:cb

Hi Heid Yin
07-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Can't argue with that.
They were lethal and a joy to watch.
I can only refer to players I have seen play in my lifetime, so will leave Smith and Baker for an even older generation of Hibbies.

Halmyre Hibee
07-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Only saw Joe Baker on his return so can't comment on his first spell but everyone a few years older than me idolised him.

Joe McBride Snr banged in a few when I was a young lad but have to agree Alan Gordon & Jimmy O'Rourke remain my favourite two forwards.

Derek Riordan is the only one close in recent years in my opinion.

calumhibee1
07-12-2018, 07:46 PM
If it has to be a partnership then Deek and Garry. If it's two different ones then Deek and Sparky. In my lifetime anyway.

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 07:46 PM
2 English Internationalists, both on the Hibs books! Saw Joe, but only had a chewin' gum sticker of Gerry.:cb
Gerry Baker born in New York capped by the US

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2018, 07:47 PM
2 English Internationalists, both on the Hibs books! Saw Joe, but only had a chewin' gum sticker of Gerry.:cb

Gerry was born in New York and played for the USA
Joe was around a month old when his family returned to Scotland
Nowadays, i suppose both would be eligible for Scotland.

Keith_M
07-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Has to be Ally McLeod and Colin Campbell.

We would have won the treble in '79, if only the midfield had supplied the service they deserved!!!!

monktonharp
07-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Gerry was born in New York and played for the USABoo to both of you! I had it in my heid that both played for England. I stand corrected:not worth

Mick O'Rourke
07-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Boo to both of you! I had it in my heid that both played for England. I stand corrected:not worth

Its a strange one though
Two brothers born on different Continents end up at Hibernian and representing their birth Countries at football

PS
Gerry used to come to my Ma's house for a cuppa and a bran scone :greengrin

monktonharp
07-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Its a strange one though
Two brothers born on different Continents end up at Hibernian and representing their birth Countries at football

PS
Gerry used to come to my Ma's house for a cuppa and a bran scone :greengrinyour at the wind-up . Americans cannae eat bran scones:greengrin Bagels:wink:

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Has to be Ally McLeod and Colin Campbell.

We would have won the treble in '79, if only the midfield had supplied the service they deserved!!!!
Colin Campbell Shudda went doon as if he had been shot by a sniper from the stand when pole axed by the Girvan Lighthouse instead of trying to stay on his feet in the last minute the only way you would get a penalty in them days against Rangers well maybes naw!!

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Boo to both of you! I had it in my heid that both played for England. I stand corrected:not worth
Joe Baker scored nine goals versus Peebles Rovers in the Scottish Cup
Gerry Baker scored ten goals versus Glasgow University for St Mirren

Iggy Pope
07-12-2018, 08:17 PM

As we’ve already discussed, we are a similar vintage. My formative years were consumed by idolising the team fronted by Alan Gordon and Jimmy O’Rourke but your take is beyond argument. To think that Gordon Smith was still picking up league medals elsewhere while Joe was tearing it up at Easter Road is regrettable and if it been allowed to happen in this .Net era we would be taking to the streets.

If it’s only gonna be players we have seen then there’s enough demographic on here (say aged 15-75) to pick a team of 11 goal scoring forwards and a couple of subs that couldn’t be argued with.

Reilly
Smith
J.Baker
Martin
Stein
McBride Snr
O’Rourke
Gordon
Harper
Cowan
Irvine
Wright
O’ Connor
Riordan
Mixu
Cummings

Only seen 12 of them (and one of those I remember **** all about seeing him) but I would hate having to leave any of them out if they were all available.

scoopyboy
07-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Am not alone there.
Pat Stanton and Jimmy O'Rourke are but two former players who rated Willie as the best player they played alongside at ER.

He glided through games.

Thanks Mick.

Saw him playing in my first Edinburgh derby but it was for Hearts.

cmcd
07-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Willie was a midfielder/inside forward and my favourite player

cmcd
07-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Am not alone there.

He glided through games.
THIS is all true

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Willie was a midfielder/inside forward and my favourite player

Pat Stanton arrived at Celtic and Billy McNeill asked him in the changing room who was the best player he ever played with at HIBS Pat responded Willie Hamilton and there was silence as a few of the younger players had never heard of Willie Hamilton just then Jock Stein shuffled into the Changing room and said “ Aye Pats right Willie Hamilton was a brilliant player”

green day
07-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Deeks and Gaz

cmcd
07-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Having seen both Baker and Martin I would have to choose them.Jimmy O and Alan Gordon were great also

hibby6270
07-12-2018, 09:33 PM
My interpretation was a pairing in the same team, so of who I’ve seen in my lifetime, #1 pair must be Gordon & O’Rourke but closely followed by Riordan and O’Connor.

Mind you if we had been lucky enough to have had Riordan and Griffiths Play together, could have been different outcome. :greengrin

Crammond Hibee
07-12-2018, 09:33 PM
Alan Gordon.
Jimmy 0

Class

kaimendhibs
07-12-2018, 09:43 PM
Defo Alan Gordon.and Jimmy O'Rourke

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

nyhibs
07-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Didn't Gerry play for the USA

E=monktonharp;5624092]2 English Internationalists, both on the Hibs books! Saw Joe, but only had a chewin' gum sticker of Gerry.:cb[/QUOTE]

Criswell
07-12-2018, 10:17 PM
I remember Colin Stein and Peter Cormack from my early supporting days. Maybe not the best ever but worth a mention.

snedzuk
07-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Gordon and o rourke but another top two at easter road (doesnt say playing for hibs) were keith wright and tommy coyne for dundee. When we had keith wright I always hoped wed get coyne as well.

Also steve cowan and gordon durie.

Hibernian32
07-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Dode best & akpo sodje

FilipinoHibs
08-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Watched Hibs since 1970 but Riordan and Archiebald for me.

Jones28
08-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Dode best & akpo sodje

Loved Sodje, it was his strike partner Agogo that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo

MagicSwirlingShip
08-12-2018, 08:20 AM
My uncles face used to light up talking of “The Baker Boy” - he once told me Joe was twice the player the young Michael Owen was (and he won the Ballon D’or)

GreenArmyyy!
08-12-2018, 08:33 AM
O’Connor and Riordans partnership was pretty special.

Keith_M
08-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Gordon and o rourke but another top two at easter road (doesnt say playing for hibs) were keith wright and tommy coyne for dundee. When we had keith wright I always hoped wed get coyne as well.

Sadly they weren't together for long... and we were still quite crap in spite of them.

BILLYHIBS
08-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Yip! I remember Wright and Coyne ripped us apart at Easter Road 0-4 at half time

The fact we paid Dundee United for Darren Jackson after we signed Keith Wright a boyhood Hibby ruled out a move for Tommy Coyne

After our Sprinting Coach was finished with Gordon Juke Box Durie I thought he looked the real deal he had everything strength speed pace could finish was brave and good in the air. The guy was electric he even scored a hatrick for Der Hun in the Scottish Cup Final versus Hearts

Smartie
08-12-2018, 09:07 AM
I'm always surprised Darren Jackson doesn't get more of a mention on these threads.

He was a wonderful played for us and was the most important player in a very decent attacking unit for us for a few years.

Jackson and Mixu in my time watching Hibs.

superfurryhibby
08-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Gordon and O’Rourke were the greatest strikeforce I’ve seen, albeit that I was only ten when Jimmy left the club. Etched on the memory, Gordon rising to glance a header into the net and O’Rourke slamming in shots.

Mixu and Zitelli were an effective combination. They didn’t score barrowloads, but they brought other players into the equation. Kamberi should have a look at what Mixu did in holding on tthe ball and bringing others into the game.

Durie and Cowan did the business for a season too. Without Durie’s running and effort Cowan really struggled. Together they were dynamite.

Wright and Evans had an excellent spell. Keith scored more, but Evans was everywhere and benefitted from the ginger heided maestros intelligent play. They gave teams trouble.

O’ Connor and Riordain, superb combination up front. I never really understood why Mowbray moved Deeks to a wide left position though. O’Connor was full of running and a powerful lad on the ball, Deeks had sublime skill and power in both feet. They were the best.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-12-2018, 10:25 AM

From what i remember of lugton, 'darling' willie groves was a hero of the early days.

Two best forwards, from what i have heard would have to be reilly and baker surely?

Killiehibbie
08-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Gordon and O’Rourke were the greatest strikeforce I’ve seen, albeit that I was only ten when Jimmy left the club. Etched on the memory, Gordon rising to glance a header into the net and O’Rourke slamming in shots.

Mixu and Zitelli were an effective combination. They didn’t score barrowloads, but they brought other players into the equation. Kamberi should have a look at what Mixu did in holding on tthe ball and bringing others into the game.

Durie and Cowan did the business for a season too. Without Durie’s running and effort Cowan really struggled. Together they were dynamite.

Wright and Evans had an excellent spell. Keith scored more, but Evans was everywhere and benefitted from the ginger heided maestros intelligent play. They gave teams trouble.

O’ Connor and Riordain, superb combination up front. I never really understood why Mowbray moved Deeks to a wide left position though. O’Connor was full of running and a powerful lad on the ball, Deeks had sublime skill and power in both feet. They were the best.
One of my mates thought Cowan was superb. I said wait until next season when Durie isn't there to set them up for him.

Smith and Baker get my vote.

Eyrie
08-12-2018, 10:40 AM
From what i remember of lugton, 'darling' willie groves was a hero of the early days.

Two best forwards, from what i have heard would have to be reilly and baker surely?

That depends on how you class Smith.

Dan Sarf
08-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Anyone remember Joe Baker and Johnnie McLeod on the right wing?

Dynamite.

McIntosh
08-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Watched Hibs since 1970 but Riordan and Archibald for me. Totally agree :top marksArchibald tremendous player - world class. Best forward combination has to be the majestic, Alan Gordon and the imperious, Jimmy O’Rourke.

JohnMcM
08-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Joe Baker and Joe McBride

Dan Sarf
08-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Joe Baker and Bobby Johnstone

Magic

Bishop Hibee
08-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Best I’ve seen were Durie and Riordan. Durie didn’t stay long but he was a brilliant player whose career would have been even better if he hadn’t had knee injuries. Riordan is the most talented forward to come through our youth system. His ability with both feet was incredible. If he’d had Durie’s work ethic he’d have played for a top English club. I’m actually glad he didn’t in a way as it meant we saw more of him in a Hibs jersey

Baker9
08-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Anyone remember Joe Baker and Johnnie McLeod on the right wing?

Dynamite.

A great combination. John said in later life that Baker made him look good and even if he hit the ball just to get himself out of trouble, Joe would anticipate it, making it look like a great pass.

Dan Sarf
08-12-2018, 01:32 PM
A great combination. John said in later life that Baker made him look good and even if he hit the ball just to get himself out of trouble, Joe would anticipate it, making it look like a great pass.

Nice (and very modest) story.

hhibs
08-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Gordon Smith

Joe Baker

Fact

:top marks

:flag::flag::flag:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-12-2018, 02:57 PM
That depends on how you class Smith.

As a winger?

erin go bragh
08-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Two I’ve seen . Archibald just shades Keith Keith Keith and second pick has to be the Deekmaster . With Sparky Gaz and Fletcher very close .
But the best two would have to be Reilly and Baker ( Smith was a winger ) :cbimo

heretoday
09-12-2018, 07:49 AM
I remember Colin Stein and Peter Cormack from my early supporting days. Maybe not the best ever but worth a mention.

Agree. And both went for big money and won European medals. Hibs were a great side to watch in the mid to late sixties.

eastmainsmsh
09-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Steve Archibald and Garry O’ Connor

southsider
09-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Steve Archibald and Garry O’ Connor

Neil Martin & Joe McBride (snr).

cmcd
09-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Neil Martin & Joe McBride (snr).

Neil Martin's goals to games ratio was fantastic and McBride was a great goalscorer

patch1875
09-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Tosh & Power

fat freddy
09-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Tosh & Power

I'll raise you, Ally Scott and Graham Fyffe.

Bangkok Hibby
09-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Gordon Smith

Joe Baker

Fact

Me too but what is your fact?

southsider
09-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Neil Martin's goals to games ratio was fantastic and McBride was a great goalscorer

Pretty sure he was the first player to score 100 goals in both Scotland & England ( Neil that is)

heretoday
09-12-2018, 03:48 PM
I'll raise you, Ally Scott and Graham Fyffe.

My hand I think - Isak Refvik and Svein Mathisen.

whiskyhibby
09-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Alan Gordon and Jimmy O’rourke

Same for me an outstanding pairing

Hibees1973
09-12-2018, 08:20 PM
In my lifetime from the players I have seen....individually Baker and Durie. As a pair O’Rourke and Gordon.

PapillonVert
09-12-2018, 09:14 PM
Can only go on who I have seen in my lifetime:

Jimmy O'Rourke

Alex Edwards

And this being open to interpretation as Edwards being an attacking midfielder.

If not acceptable, then Alan Gordon.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Can only go on who I have seen in my lifetime:

Jimmy O'Rourke

Alex Edwards

And this being open to interpretation as Edwards being an attacking midfielder.

If not acceptable, then Alan Gordon.
This 😁

monktonharp
09-12-2018, 09:45 PM
O’Connor and Riordans partnership was pretty special.for the younger fans, those2 were something special. I agree. their partnership was good. Riordan, is was one of my all time favourites. I watched the Tornadoes, but he was very special and scored some great goals against the gorgie mob. that will do for me
O'Connor complimented him with his big bustling style. never a great footballer, but always a trier and a hustler.

monktonharp
09-12-2018, 09:49 PM
I'll raise you, Ally Scott and Graham Fyffe.both signed from der hun, on a knock down price or with a giveaway swap deal if I reacalll ? that seemed like the start of bringing in real pish!!!!

monktonharp
09-12-2018, 09:54 PM
My hand I think - Isak Refvik and Svein Mathisen.I like that move...………..were the 2 of them NOT eventually n pulled oot, on technicality\\\\\\\\\\\/ something happened, if I REMEBER.

Mick O'Rourke
09-12-2018, 10:38 PM
I like that move...………..were the 2 of them NOT eventually n pulled oot, on technicality\\\\\\\\\\\/ something happened, if I REMEBER.

Work permit issues.
Hibernian "fought" the authorities to allow both to remain at ER,but to no avail.

They only played a handful of games for the club between them.
Sad as the fans were really excited about these two players.

Of course, had they been signing for 2 well known clubs in Glasgow, i am sure that would have been sorted out !

PS !!
Some of the names on here widnae have been "best forwards" for Heriot Vale !!

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2018, 10:53 PM
both signed from der hun, on a knock down price or with a giveaway swap deal if I reacalll ? that seemed like the start of bringing in real pish!!!!
Swapped for Iain Munro a real class act who only played about 6 games for Der Hun before being shipped back to St Mirren He eventually made his way back to Easter Road but a strange move?

monktonharp
09-12-2018, 11:21 PM
Swapped for Iain Munro a real class act who only played about 6 games for Der Hun before being shipped back to St Mirren He eventually made his way back to Easter Road but a strange move?Munro was superb for us. correct.

monktonharp
09-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Work permit issues.
Hibernian "fought" the authorities to allow both to remain at ER,but to no avail.

They only played a handful of games for the club between them.
Sad as the fans were really excited about these two players.

Of course, had they been signing for 2 well known clubs in Glasgow, i am sure that would have been sorted out !

PS !!
Some of the names on here widnae have been "best forwards" for Heriot Vale !!I knew there was something dodgy Mick. Isak was a bit special, if I remember

superfurryhibby
10-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Swapped for Iain Munro a real class act who only played about 6 games for Der Hun before being shipped back to St Mirren He eventually made his way back to Easter Road but a strange move?

With the emergence of talent such as Bobby Smith and Des Bremner, Iain Munro should have become a mainstay of the second generation tornadoes. Sadly, Turnbull’s judgement went awol, swapping him for Fyfe and Scott proved to be one of the great man’s more flawed pieces of business during that period ( starting with buying Harper when we had an awesome strike force and needed a goalie and a centre half).

SirDavidsNapper
10-12-2018, 09:17 AM
In my lifetime...

Keith Wright
Leigh Griffiths

Imagine that paring up front in their pomp!

Historically it's got to be Gordon Smith and Joe Baker shirley?

joe_hfc
10-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Some crazy suggestions on this thread.

I'll go for Rowan Vine and if it's allowed, Rowan Vine again.

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 10:18 AM
With the emergence of talent such as Bobby Smith and Des Bremner, Iain Munro should have become a mainstay of the second generation tornadoes. Sadly, Turnbull’s judgement went awol, swapping him for Fyfe and Scott proved to be one of the great man’s more flawed pieces of business during that period ( starting with buying Harper when we had an awesome strike force and needed a goalie and a centre half).

Yip! Pretty much how I saw it at the time.

Shudda hung onto Munro and as you say we had the makings of a new generation TTs coming through a young Bobby Smith, Des Bremner, Derek Spalding though sadly went stateside and the real Ally Macleod

I was never a fan of Tony Higgins -looks like me in a HIBS strip -but he did all right for us -we shudda signed George Stewart sooner I spoke to him in the Chesser Inn a proper gentleman a big Hibby said he would have left Dundee in a heartbeat

Jim McArthur to me was too wee as a keeper but he did all right for us as well
Ned was probably a bit hasty in getting rid of Herriot but he took the blame for the Split disaster and he had already decided to split up the Tornadoes

Iain Munro returned to Easter Road to play for us later in his career

Being a Hibby is all about cycles maybe we will have another good team in another thirty years

superfurryhibby
10-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Yip! Pretty much how I saw it at the time.

Shudda hung onto Munro and as you say we had the makings of a new generation TTs coming through a young Bobby Smith, Des Bremner, Derek Spalding though sadly went stateside and the real Ally Macleod

I was never a fan of Tony Higgins -looks like me in a HIBS strip -but he did all right for us -we shudda signed George Stewart sooner I spoke to him in the Chesser Inn a proper gentleman a big Hibby said he would have left Dundee in a heartbeat

Jim McArthur to me was too wee as a keeper but he did all right for us as well
Ned was probably a bit hasty in getting rid of Herriot but he took the blame for the Split disaster and he had already decided to split up the Tornadoes

Iain Munro returned to Easter Road to play for us later in his career

Being a Hibby is all about cycles maybe we will have another good team in another thirty years

Jim McArthur definitely gave us good service, but he wasn’t a top class keeper by any means. For the money spent on Harper we could have signed Alan Rough and George Stewart. Would have won the league that season if we had ( mibbies).

Another strange one, albeit slightly later, was the swapping of Shades for Bobby Hutchison, deary me.

Anyway back to the strikers.

Lawrie Reilly and Joe Baker are strong candidates for the greatest Hibs centre forwards of all time. Only saw Baker play when he returned to ER in 1971.

I did have the pleasure of gieing the baw tae Reilly, albeit aged about and kicking a fitba in the street outside the Bowlers Rest. Living the dream back then. Moved to Elbe St, Leith. Surrounded by Hibs daft laddies and able to make my way up to ER for the big games that my auld man wouldn’t take me to. The icing on the cake was seeing the legend coming oot his boozer on a regular basis. He always had time for the kids, a truly lovely man.

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Jim McArthur definitely gave us good service, but he wasn’t a top class keeper by any means. For the money spent on Harper we could have signed Alan Rough and George Stewart. Would have won the league that season if we had ( mibbies).

Another strange one, albeit slightly later, was the swapping of Shades for Bobby Hutchison, deary me.

Anyway back to the strikers.

Lawrie Reilly and Joe Baker are strong candidates for the greatest Hibs centre forwards of all time. Only saw Baker play when he returned to ER in 1971.

I did have the pleasure of gieing the baw tae Reilly, albeit aged about and kicking a fitba in the street outside the Bowlers Rest. Living the dream back then. Moved to Elbe St, Leith. Surrounded by Hibs daft laddies and able to make my way up to ER for the big games that my auld man wouldn’t take me to. The icing on the cake was seeing the legend coming oot his boozer on a regular basis. He always had time for the kids, a truly lovely man.

Never saw them two in their pomp though like you I was at Joe Bakers second debut versus Aberdeen

I remember the sideburns and white boots :greengrin

My Auld Boy used to rave about the Baker Boy Last Minute Reilly and his all time favourite Gordon Smith

dchibs
10-12-2018, 12:27 PM
If its strike partners in the same team, the majority have went for Alan G and Jimmy O
Who am i to argue with that !
The thread does have me salivating at some wonderful forwards i saw at Hibernian.
What price Alex Edwards in todays transfer markets ?

Alex was my favourite player back then, but we had a whole good talented team back then.

jdships
10-12-2018, 01:32 PM
Reilly and Joe Baker :hibees:flag:

jdships
10-12-2018, 01:34 PM
As a winger?

10/10 ::top marks

Dan Sarf
10-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Me too but what is your fact?

You don't need any facts to substantiate the use of the word "fact".

Fact.

cullen
10-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Joe Baker is the best forward I have seen playing forHibs.I find it difficult to choose between Bobby Johnston and Willie Hamilton for second place.

As a pairing I think Joe Baker and Bobby Johnstone were in a Class of their own. Oh to have Joe now!!!

Nakedmanoncrack
11-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Has to be Paul Tosh & Lee Power, what a combo.

monktonharp
12-12-2018, 12:09 AM
what a pairing:rolleyes:

Tornadoes70
12-12-2018, 01:06 AM
Alan Gordon, Jimmy O'Rourke, Keith Keith Keith, Archie, Kenny Miller, Ally McLeod, Gordon Durie, Mixu and Stokesy all come to mind among others I've missed out. Difficult to choose just two :greengrin

Not In The Know
12-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Steve Archibald
Deek in his prime.

where'stheslope
12-12-2018, 03:10 PM
For me Joe Baker and Alan Gordon.

FilipinoHibs
14-12-2018, 06:25 AM
Steve Archibald
Deek in his prime.

Snap