PDA

View Full Version : NHC Rome bar recommendations

StevesFamau5
07-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Taken a few days off from the madness of work, marriage and Hibs to visit Rome and managed to get tickets for Lazio v Sampdoria tomorrow night.

Has anyone been to the Stadio Olympico and if so any recommendations for beers, grub and general football related sights etc.

Already bought collesium and bus tour tickets.

Cheers,

GGTTH

heid the baw
07-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Taken a few days off from the madness of work, marriage and Hibs to visit Rome and managed to get tickets for Lazio v Sampdoria tomorrow night.

Has anyone been to the Stadio Olympico and if so any recommendations for beers, grub and general football related sights etc.

Cheers,

GGTTH

Trastevere is a great area to hang out. Ivo and Ai Marmi for pizza. The brilliantly named Bir & Fud for drinks.
Rome is not cheap but a great city. Lots of the tourist stuff you want to see is close together a bit like Edinburgh.
Not sure about a bus tour. The place is just one massive traffic jam. Quicker walking.

DC_Hibs
07-12-2018, 12:26 PM
There will be plenty madness in Rome on Thursday when Eintracht Frankfurt arrive. 8500 with tickets and thousands more without.

Let me know what you find out about the gaff......

Since90+2
07-12-2018, 12:45 PM
The Colloseum is probably the most spectacular thing I've ever seen but I've also never seen crowds like it.

Unless you buy a skip the line pass you will be queuing for hours. Literally hours.

BullsCloseHibs
07-12-2018, 01:47 PM

Cheers,

GGTTH

Been before for a Lazio game. Italian football is excellent and great atmosphere guaranteed. As for pubs, very disappointing. Difficult trying to find proper pubs / bars. Ended up drinking in pizza joints and the like. Different culture over there, but it won't spoil your trip 😊

Fergos
07-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Trastevere is a great area to hang out. Ivo and Ai Marmi for pizza. The brilliantly named Bir & Fud for drinks.
Rome is not cheap but a great city. Lots of the tourist stuff you want to see is close together a bit like Edinburgh.
Not sure about a bus tour. The place is just one massive traffic jam. Quicker walking.

Aye id second Trastevere, very cool place with good vibe, 15 mins roughly bus ride or you can walk it from centre Roma. Lotsa places for decent beer and even better pizza.

Enjoy bud.

GGTTH

Jamesie
07-12-2018, 02:38 PM
I travel to the Stadio Olimpico 2/3 times per year as I follow the Italian rugby team so in terms of your queries:

Best way to get to the stadium is to take the Metro Line A to either Ottaviano, Lepanto or Flaminio. From the latter, you can take a direct tram line (Line 2) to pretty much the stadium itself but it's often very crowded and personally I prefer the walk up Via Flaminio, stopping into some of the smaller bars and cafes on the side streets where you are far away from tourist menus and prices and in some instances can get a Peroni for as cheap as €1.50. The stadium is about equidistant from each of the three stations I refer to - roughly a 30 minute walk.

As many have suggested, Trastevere is a good spot for food and drinks. Make sure you take a look at the rather spit and sawdust San Calisto bar, a bit of an institution in those parts, and I'd recommend Grazia e Graziella for dinner there. From Trastevere to the Olimpico or vice versa is an hour's walk and passes through the Vatican City, right past St Peter's if you are interested in that.

If you happen to visit the Pantheon (my second favourite sight in Rome behind the Altare della Patria) then check out the nearby Bar del Fico - I hadn't been there until a friend took me there a couple of weeks ago and a cosy wee please with a great apertivo menu - basically buy your drink and you'll be given access to a tremendous early evening buffet!

It's a great city - enjoy!

pollution
07-12-2018, 05:19 PM
The Trevi fountain at night is a must see, ditto the Forum in the day.

Next to the Stadio is a mini Greek style ampitheatre that Mussolini had built to show off Fascist brawn and might.

Go down side streets in the centre of Rome for much better restaurants. There are few pubs as such in the centre.

In fact, when I lived there I only came across one birreria and that soon closed.

Things may have changed today. Romans love Tennents lager which is stronger than here. The bread that comes with a meal is probably

the best I have ever had. Look out for these large round loaves.

StevesFamau5
07-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the tips folks. Genuinely looking forward to tomorrow now.

Got a fast track ticket for collesium on Sunday as well.

Been up since 4am....time for some well earned rest.

Back to winning way's tomorrow for the cabbage!!!

GGTTH...

Pescarese
07-12-2018, 10:41 PM
You’ll have a great time in Rome. If you have time, I’d second Jamesie’s suggestion of the Pantheon. And the nearby Tazza d’Oro coffee house does a decent morning coffee.

Santa Cruz
08-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Not a pub! but 5 minutes walk from the Colosseum is Basilica San Clemente, built around 1100 AD.

Nice enough itself, but if you go through the back and pay 10 euros you can go down stairs to a 4th-century Basilica. You can then go down one more time to a 1st century church, with some original wall paintings, tunnels, and a spring running through it. Hidden gem - amazing and a bit spooky.