PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: TICKET PRICES ANNOUNCED FOR ELGIN CITY SCOTTISH CUP TIE

RSS Bot
07-12-2018, 11:30 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9522)

GlesgaeHibby
07-12-2018, 11:36 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9522)

£22 for a game against Elgin!?!

BILLYHIBS
07-12-2018, 11:41 AM

:wtf:

Keith_M
07-12-2018, 11:42 AM

It's quite steep, but both clubs have to agree a reduction in price and perhaps Elgin refused.

lyonhibs
07-12-2018, 11:45 AM
It's quite steep, but both clubs have to agree a reduction in price and perhaps Elgin refused.

I'm going to assume and hope this is the case. It's their big day out so seeking to maximise revenue I'd imagine.

murray26
07-12-2018, 11:46 AM
Jeez!! There won’t be many at this one.

neil7908
07-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Ouch. Given the current run of form that's pretty poor from the club.

Pretty Boy
7000 tops for this one.

neil7908
I'm going to assume and hope this is the case. It's their big day out so seeking to maximise revenue I'd imagine.

If this is the case then fair enough, nothing we could do.

Pretty Boy
07-12-2018, 11:54 AM
If this is the case then fair enough, nothing we could do.

They'll probablt argue 6000 at £22 and £12 is more than an extra 1500 say at £12 and £5. Their couple of hundred will stump up for a 'glamour tie'. Can't blame them but it's another hit in the pocket for Hibs fans on top of what's already been an expensive season.

eastterrace
07-12-2018, 11:58 AM
They'll probablt argue 6000 at £22 and £12 is more than an extra 1500 say at £12 and £5. Their couple of hundred will stump up for a 'glamour tie'. Can't blame them but it's another hit in the pocket for Hibs fans on top of what's already been an expensive season.

Just been made redundant two weeks ago so even with the 10% off I’ll need to give this a miss. Keep the money fOr later rounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diclonius
07-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Mental. I'll still go, though.

wookie70
07-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Might be the first competitive home game I have missed for around 8 years. £22 is too much for this tie and barring some Christmas signings I might keep my cash in my pocket. Hopefully, it wasn't Hibs who wanted to keep this at £22

Scouse Hibee
07-12-2018, 12:31 PM
£22 and no discount for ST holders, absolutely scandalous. Will still be there though as always.

Since90+2
07-12-2018, 12:43 PM
£22 for a game against Elgin is ridiculous. Will be about 5000 at this .

davhibby
07-12-2018, 12:52 PM

It's our first game in 3 weeks so you'd think reasonable pricing would've got a decent crowd of say 10k. The way we've been playing at these prices I think we'll be lucky to get 5k

SideBurns
07-12-2018, 01:04 PM
I suppose we'll never know if Elgin were insistent on high prices, but regardless of who's to blame it's a huge misjudgement. Folk still recovering financially from the festive season expected to fork out £22 (not to mention £12 for concessions, for those of us who take bairns to the games)? We'll need to have a very good end to the year to see a decent crowd at this one.

Brooster
07-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Hibs are taking the p155 with those prices. £46 for an adult with 2 kids.....have a serious word.

Hibernian Verse
07-12-2018, 01:29 PM
It's hardly surprising. It's a Scottish cup tie regardless of opposition. I understand some people are strapped for cash at this time of year but a large majority just can't get enough of moaning.

Imo of course!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
07-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Scandalous. Even if we suddenly start winning games I can't see much more than 5,000 at this.

NAE NOOKIE
07-12-2018, 01:33 PM
This must be down to Elgin City, because I cant believe Hibs would charge £22 a pop for this tie if it was down to us.

I'll still go, but I'm almost certain at least 3 of the 4 folk I usually go to games with wont because of the price. If our poor form continues this will probably be our smallest crowd for a game since our relegation season.

Keith_M
07-12-2018, 01:36 PM
It's hardly surprising. It's a Scottish cup tie regardless of opposition. I understand some people are strapped for cash at this time of year but a large majority just can't get enough of moaning.

Imo of course!

That's a bit unfair.

I'm now in the fortunate position now that I wouldn't baulk at paying that for a match, but can well remember money being a real balancing act and would have had to seriously consider whether I could justify that, especially on top of the money already spent on a Season Ticket.

There are a lot of people still in that position and I would love the either the Fans Reps or the Supporters Associations to challenge this on their behalf and try to persuade the club(s) to change their minds.

If it was reasonably priced, 15 quid at most, and we had perhaps had a couple of decent signings, there's no reason we couldn't get about 10k for this match.

Keith_M
07-12-2018, 01:36 PM
This must be down to Elgin City, because I cant believe Hibs would charge £22 a pop for this tie if it was down to us.

Totally agree

:agree:

SideBurns
07-12-2018, 01:46 PM

Imo of course!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If the large majority really do like moaning, the club are making it easy for them with decisions like this eh? Even assuming Elgin were arguing for higher prices, Hibs wouldn't necessarily have to agree to them without some negotiation...?

CMurdoch
07-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Option 1 - £22 for 5,000 adults is £110k plus a few concessions but with no atmosphere and very little in the way of food and shop sales.
Option 2 - £10 a skull with 12,000 folk attending equals £120k with a good atmosphere and double the sales of food and shop sales. More than enough extra cash to pay for extra staff required. No brainer.

Not going for £22 plus £12 for my son

Since90+2
07-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Option 1 - £22 for 5,000 adults is £110k plus a few concessions but with no atmosphere and very little in the way of food and shop sales.
Option 2 - £10 a skull with 12,000 folk attending equals £120k with a good atmosphere and double the sales of food and shop sales. More than enough extra cash to pay for extra staff required. No brainer.

I agree with you on the ticket price however Hibs make the exact same amount of money from the food kiosks whether it's a sell out or a few thousand.

Hermit Crab
07-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Just have the West and East open for this and we'd fit everyone in no problem.

G15 Hibs
07-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Even assuming Elgin were arguing for higher prices, Hibs wouldn't necessarily have to agree to them without some negotiation...?

Hibs might have tried to negotiate, but from my understanding (which was most likely the result of a conversation over several light ales so not necessarily entirely correct) Elgin don't have to accept anything below the "standard" ticket price for the season. Can't blame them for trying to make a few quid out of it.

Steven79
07-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Hibs might have tried to negotiate, but from my understanding (which was most likely the result of a conversation over several light ales so not necessarily entirely correct) Elgin don't have to accept anything below the "standard" ticket price for the season. Can't blame them for trying to make a few quid out of it.

They may have made more on the back of cheaper prices, I for one won't be paying nearly £50 for me and two kids just after Christmas to see this game.

lord bunberry
07-12-2018, 03:05 PM
£56 for my normal three seats. I think I’ll probably still go, but the Mrs and my daughter will give it a miss.

Daydreamer
07-12-2018, 04:02 PM
I always use the add to season on line for cup games and was surprised that the six in my group have told me to add their season after I told them it was £22. 100% take up here. Usual 8500 for cup games against the wee teams.

Sir David Gray
07-12-2018, 04:06 PM
£22 and no discount for ST holders, absolutely scandalous. Will still be there though as always.

There will be a 10% discount for season ticket holders as it's one of the benefits that Hibs announced in their season ticket campaign for this season.

It will be £19.80 for adult season ticket holders.

hibee_girl
07-12-2018, 04:08 PM
It’s only £2 more than the Bonnyrigg game a few years ago.

As others have said it’s more than likely Elgin that wanted the higher prices

Here’s Lucy!
07-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Even if it was ten or fifteen sheets we'd be lucky to get a 7000+ crowd.

22 notes will ensure about 5000 tops.

Billy Whizz
07-12-2018, 04:11 PM
I’ll be there

DarlingtonHibee
07-12-2018, 05:52 PM
I agree with you on the ticket price however Hibs make the exact same amount of money from the food kiosks whether it's a sell out or a few thousand.

Stand to be corrected on the food money. It's outsourced so the more we sell, then higher the kickback.

silverhibee
07-12-2018, 06:15 PM
I’ll be there

I'll be there as well Billy, looking forward to the replay up in Elgin though :greengrin

Carheenlea
07-12-2018, 08:02 PM
£22 to see Hibs in the Scottish Cup? Not a bad deal at all and not sure what folk were expecting for a home tie? Hopefully an extended run and a few more £22 on the way to Hampden.

LancsHibs
07-12-2018, 08:08 PM
I’ll be going, just as soon as they tell us when it’s on!

Itsnoteasy
07-12-2018, 09:29 PM

But we were the away team.

Itsnoteasy
07-12-2018, 09:32 PM

We were also the defending champions so that game would have sold out at 30 bucks a ticket.

erin go bragh
07-12-2018, 09:55 PM
If Hibs think I’m paying £22 for a Scottish cup tie . They are 100% correct.
Bloody bargain 😜 See , when we go on and win it ,, again . Those that never went , will be on here asking for the ticket Stubbs , to put in their framed picture. Pretty sure it was £22 for that first cup game at Raith .

hibbysam
07-12-2018, 10:01 PM

You think we’d get 7000 more punters with it being £10? Behave. You’d maybe see a difference of around 1000 if the prices were lowered dramatically, which would lose the clubs money. Elgin know there is a hardcore element of around 5/6000 plus hangers on that will definitely buy for the match and will take their chance on that, rather than lower the prices and gamble on their being an extra 7/8000 there to make the money up.

JimBHibees
07-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Hibs are taking the p155 with those prices. £46 for an adult with 2 kids.....have a serious word.

Both teams have to agree. Shocking prices.

Keith_M
08-12-2018, 11:21 AM
So I've had a look at the rules and, as far as I understand it, there's a default price (in this case, 22 quid). The price can be reduced, but only if BOTH teams agree to the reduction.

So, imagine Híbs said to Elgin they thought about charging 15 quid to encourage a larger crowd, and Elgin said 'p*ss off, we want to cash in as, much as possible', there's not a thing Hibs can do about it.

Billy Whizz
08-12-2018, 11:22 AM
So I've had a look at the rules and, as far as I understand it, there's a default price (in this case, 22 quid). The price can be reduced, but only if BOTH teams agree to the reduction.

So, imagine Híbs said to Elgin they thought about charging 15 quid to encourage a larger crowd, and Elgin said 'p*ss off, we want to cash in as, much as possible', there's not a thing Hibs can do about it.
I think £22 is ok for an adult, just wish the concessions were under £10

Keith_M
08-12-2018, 11:25 AM
I think £22 is ok for an adult, just wish the concessions were under £10

It's OK for me as well, but I expect money's tight for a lot of people at that time of year.

I agree, it would be good for concession prices to be reduced, as we want to encourage as many kids as possible to come along.

Malthibby
08-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Will be there, always cool to see a team at ER for the first time apart from anything else
but not going to be surprising if it's a wee crowd.
GG

HH81
08-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Isn't the walknup price £23.00 for an adult this season? Sure that's what I paid other week.

So they have agreed to reduce the price which seems a bit odd. I'd have said 20 quid is more than enough for this type of game.

Baldy Foghorn
09-12-2018, 08:00 AM
If you can't afford this one, that's fine, but if you can, it's a Scottish Cup winnable tie. Don't see the issue

theonlywayisup
09-12-2018, 09:43 AM
If you can't afford this one, that's fine, but if you can, it's a Scottish Cup winnable tie. Don't see the issue

Agree, if you can go then go. If you can't then don't.

As others have said Elgin City have to agree to any reduction and they'll make more money out of it being £22. Anyone who thinks you can go to Easter Road and get in for £10 is living in the past. Serious question, when was it last £10 to get in as and adult.

Wakeyhibee
09-12-2018, 11:45 AM
can someone jog my memory. Back in the 70's & 80's SC games were a big thing regardless of opposition. Gates v the likes of East Fife, Ayr United, rivalled a league game against tougher teams if not better.

Were these games discounted also? I don't think they were.

Not having a go, Just seems attitudes and watching habits have shifted away from cup games over the past 30 years or so

Gmack7
09-12-2018, 08:57 PM
can someone jog my memory. Back in the 70's & 80's SC games were a big thing regardless of opposition. Gates v the likes of East Fife, Ayr United, rivalled a league game against tougher teams if not better.

Were these games discounted also? I don't think they were.

Not having a go, Just seems attitudes and watching habits have shifted away from cup games over the past 30 years or so
not sure about discounted but they were on the ST

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 09:13 PM
Once we’ve won tucked the cup away several of those declining on the £22 ticket will eagerly scurry about to pay that for a copy of the match programme.

monktonharp
10-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Hibs might have tried to negotiate, but from my understanding (which was most likely the result of a conversation over several light ales so not necessarily entirely correct) Elgin don't have to accept anything below the "standard" ticket price for the season. Can't blame them for trying to make a few quid out of it.think of it this way...…….how many Elgin fans do ELGIN expect to bring to the table? those prices seem more than rather high. and in my opinion the input from the Elgin board must have contributed to the decision for the price. many Hibernian fans will just not show, on a point of principle!

monktonharp
10-12-2018, 12:09 AM
Once we’ve won tucked the cup away several of those declining on the £22 ticket will eagerly scurry about to pay that for a copy of the match programme.if you go, can you get me a programme. ? I will gladly give you 2 quid

monktonharp
10-12-2018, 12:14 AM

As others have said it’s more than likely Elgin that wanted the higher pricesthat was a game, with a slightly more attractive meaning. a local juniors team who had decided to up the ante by holding it in a "stadium" quite special in our minds when it came to cup games. gave us a "meaning" to be there !

monktonharp
10-12-2018, 12:26 AM
If you can't afford this one, that's fine, but if you can, it's a Scottish Cup winnable tie. Don't see the issuehold the pony Mr Baldy. look back at a couple of posts and you will see that some just cant justify paying for themselves and the kids and a couple of pizzas/chips etc in a game that really should be cheaper. you more fans reps than most on here, use your influence.

hibbysam
10-12-2018, 07:36 AM
hold the pony Mr Baldy. look back at a couple of posts and you will see that some just cant justify paying for themselves and the kids and a couple of pizzas/chips etc in a game that really should be cheaper. you more fans reps than most on here, use your influence.

There is no influence if Elgin (rightly so) want to cash in on this game. Hibs can’t do a thing.

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Unless it's a derby, nobody really bothers about cup competitions till the semi finals anyway, so they can charge what they like.

Wakeyhibee
10-12-2018, 12:30 PM
not sure about discounted but they were on the ST

Didn't know/remember that, although back then ST membership was a lot smaller proportion of the gate than it is today.

I doubt it was much cheaper or dearer in real terms for the walk ups to go to the game back then

Keith_M
10-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Didn't know/remember that, although back then ST membership was a lot smaller proportion of the gate than it is today.

I doubt it was much cheaper or dearer in real terms for the walk ups to go to the game back then

In real terms, going to the football cost a lost less*. Also, in the late 70s and into the 80s, crowds for league matches were pretty dire, and you had a lot of folk that really just turned up for the cup games.

* When I started attending in 1980, adult terrace prices were £1.20. That's the equivalent of about £6 in today's money.

Iggy Pope
10-12-2018, 02:29 PM
if you go, can you get me a programme. ? I will gladly give you 2 quid

3 quid.

Centre Hawf
10-12-2018, 02:44 PM
I won't be there. January will be tight for a few folk including myself being so soon after Christmas, thankfully I'm a season ticket holder so these games in December aren't setting me back anything other than what I paid in the summer. But I can only imagine the expense over December and this Elgin game will be for the walk ups. Shocking price for what it is.

If it's true that Elgin have refused to budge on the price, while I'm always glad to see smaller clubs get their pay day in these cups I also find it interesting to see how those clubs with the "affordable family football" principles quickly throw it in the bin when theres the chance to make a quick buck and only annoy the fans of a bigger club.

KingFranck
10-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Hibs have missed a trick here
Either let season ticket holder in for £15 or let kids in for £2
Crowd will be really low now

Billy Whizz
10-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Looks like our game will be played on the Saturday at 3pm. Surprise surprise, Celtic and Rangers on TV

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-cup-fourth-round-televised-fixtures-confirmed/?rid=14258

3pm
10-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Looks like our game will be played on the Saturday at 3pm. Surprise surprise, Celtic and Rangers on TV

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-cup-fourth-round-televised-fixtures-confirmed/?rid=14258

Good!

Billy Whizz
10-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Good!

Should ensure a semi decent crowd. Hibs really missing a trick with games like this, having loyalty points would ensured a much bigger crowd😎

Carheenlea
10-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Should ensure a semi decent crowd. Hibs really missing a trick with games like this, having loyalty points would ensured a much bigger crowd😎

Joking aside, it`s a very good point.

Billy Whizz
10-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Joking aside, it`s a very good point.

I wasn’t joking Carheenlea

Eyrie
10-12-2018, 07:13 PM

Pleased that the BBC has taken the Ayrshire derby. Should be interesting.

For selfish reasons I'd have preferred our game to be on the Sunday but will be there regardless.

Wakeyhibee
10-12-2018, 08:36 PM
In real terms, going to the football cost a lost less*. Also, in the late 70s and into the 80s, crowds for league matches were pretty dire, and you had a lot of folk that really just turned up for the cup games.

* When I started attending in 1980, adult terrace prices were £1.20. That's the equivalent of about £6 in today's money.

Thanks Keekaboo, I remember the Raith promotion game in '81 as being 80p for kids and adult £1.30 IIRC, my first game on the east with my brother (old man always went main stand).

I didn't know what that equated to in todays money.

Danderhall Hibs
10-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Thanks Keekaboo, I remember the Raith promotion game in '81 as being 80p for kids and adult £1.30 IIRC, my first game on the east with my brother (old man always went main stand).

I didn't know what that equated to in todays money.

£4.84 for an adult and £2.98 for a child...

Phil MaGlass
10-12-2018, 09:31 PM

Crazy prices. No football without fans.

jacomo
10-12-2018, 10:07 PM

Tbf you are comparing apples with pears. Clubs have so many more responsibilities in terms of making a stadium safe these days.

Still, no doubt these prices for the Elgin game are way too high.

LancsHibs
11-12-2018, 05:55 AM

Elgin have confirmed on their website KO 3pm on the Saturday👍

PatHead
11-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Hibs have missed a trick here
Either let season ticket holder in for £15 or let kids in for £2
Crowd will be really low now

And who would pay the difference to give Elgin their share?

Keith_M
11-12-2018, 02:21 PM
..... Clubs have so many more responsibilities in terms of making a stadium safe these days.

Very true and I'm not complaining...well, not all that much ;-)..... just trying to illustrate how much harder it is to afford the football in real terms today.

FWIW, clubs really shouldn't have got away with not investing in stadia for so long and I think a lot of them would probably have not bothered rebuilding if it wasn't for the Hillsborough disaster.

Aim Here
11-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Tbf you are comparing apples with pears. Clubs have so many more responsibilities in terms of making a stadium safe these days.

By far, the main cost for a professional football team these days is player wages not stadium facilities, so the cost hike is hardly about safety, unless the players are mucking in with the stewarding when they're not on the pitch...

BlackSheep
11-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Regardless of who we are playing, its a Scottish Cup tie, the prices should be and are likely set based on that fact first and foremost.

Billy Whizz
11-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Regardless of who we are playing, its a Scottish Cup tie, the prices should be and are likely set based on that fact first and foremost.

There’s nothing like the Scottish Cup, in my opinion

hibbysam
11-12-2018, 03:37 PM
By far, the main cost for a professional football team these days is player wages not stadium facilities, so the cost hike is hardly about safety, unless the players are mucking in with the stewarding when they're not on the pitch...

You think our overheads (outwith player wages) are relatively similar to why they were 20/30 years ago?

Danderhall Hibs
11-12-2018, 04:43 PM

It’s not comparing apples with pears - it’s showing how much money in the 80s is equivalent to now. Expenses have obviously increased but the fact is if gate prices had increased by inflation the numbers in my post are correct.