PDA

View Full Version : The "rejects" comment

Diclonius
06-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Was this Lennon's Butcher moment? The players haven't been playing for him since, coupled as well with the coin incident.

Hulk1875
06-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Was this Lennon's Butcher moment? The players haven't been playing for him since, coupled as well with the coin incident.

This was after Celtic game wasn’t it? Since then we’ve not won, game before 6-0 win.

Smartie
06-12-2018, 11:18 AM
If you can't handle a comment like that and understand the context, I don't think you're cut out for a life in professional football.

bingo70
06-12-2018, 11:20 AM
I’ve been more critical than many of Lennon recently but I really don’t get the big deal with that comment, it is being taken way out of context.

Most players at hibs have been rejected by bigger clubs and they should be using that as motivation to prove them wrong.

Slivka being rejected by Juve for example or Bogdan being rejected by Liverpool isn’t cause for embarrassment but they still want to price they’re good enough for the top level.

MrRobot
06-12-2018, 12:07 PM
If a Hibs player said to the press that they have a reject from Bolton then im sure Lennon would be far from happy.

I love Lennon, I hope he stays and the team get back to winning ways - I dont think he should have said that about the players though.

Keith_M
06-12-2018, 12:10 PM
If a Hibs player said to the press that they have a reject from Bolton then im sure Lennon would be far from happy.

I love Lennon, I hope he stays and the team get back to winning ways - I dont think he should have said that about the players though.

Surely Lennon couldn't find fault with being described in that way, if he uses the same terms for the players.

WestStandWillie
06-12-2018, 12:13 PM

He said worse after a game against Raith a couple of years ago.

Biggie
06-12-2018, 12:20 PM
If they're not trying 'cos the gaffer said something, they need moved on. The players should have that "will to win" in them regardless of what anyone says.
Lord knows they get paid enough

Northernhibee
06-12-2018, 12:23 PM
If they're not trying 'cos the gaffer said something, they need moved on.

Things don’t quite work that way, do they? That was the attitude that got us relegated in the first place.

Pretty Boy
06-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Even taken in context it was a poor choice of words. Football players have egos and being described as a 'reject' probably hurts their pride.

On a more general level when managers (or in our case recently assistant managers) start slaughtering players in public it rarely ends well regardless of what is being said privately. The evaporation of the feel good factor around Hibs has been startling in how quickly it has happened and there has to be a collective responsibility for that from the boardroom through the manager and down to the players. Individuals blaming each other and pointing fingers isn't helpful, it's a cliche but 'win as a team, lose as a team' should be the mantra around ER at the moment.

matty_f
06-12-2018, 12:29 PM
It wasn't great but folk have to remember that Lennon has had weeks with the players to explain the comment if he or they felt it necessary, so I doubt it's really a factor in the grand scheme of things.

J-C
06-12-2018, 12:32 PM
It wasn't great but folk have to remember that Lennon has had weeks with the players to explain the comment if he or they felt it necessary, so I doubt it's really a factor in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe he hasn't explained his comments to them, that would be enough to pi55 them off

matty_f
06-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Maybe he hasn't explained his comments to them, that would be enough to pi55 them off

They're all big boys, you'd think one of them could have mentioned it to him. (edit - or got one of the more intelligent members of the squad to explain it to them).

allezsauzee
06-12-2018, 01:44 PM
The team don't look as though they are not trying. I don't think the level of effort is the problem. I don't think it takes a genius to see that these players are playing without much confidence. When they are confident the passing is slicker, they are braver about getting themselves into the box etc. It will come. I just think we need to stop chopping and changing the team and formation. Although I prefer a 4-4-2 formation generally, i think our current personnel probably suits a 3-5-2.

wookie70
06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
He said worse after a game against Raith a couple of years ago.

And it had zero effect as we were still rubbish in the games against the lesser teams. It's a dangerous game slating players regularly. Perhaps as a one off but Lennon does it all the time and is now doing via Parker as proxy. There are lots of times where the set up of the team has been terrible and he rarely looks in the mirror and points the finger at himself. The coward comments in other threads are too much but he is definitely a manager who blames others first and questions himself later. We don't get to see what goes on behind close doors but in terms of his public displays I would hate to have him as a manager.

jacomo
06-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Even taken in context it was a poor choice of words. Football players have egos and being described as a 'reject' probably hurts their pride.

On a more general level when managers (or in our case recently assistant managers) start slaughtering players in public it rarely ends well regardless of what is being said privately. The evaporation of the feel good factor around Hibs has been startling in how quickly it has happened and there has to be a collective responsibility for that from the boardroom through the manager and down to the players. Individuals blaming each other and pointing fingers isn't helpful, it's a cliche but 'win as a team, lose as a team' should be the mantra around ER at the moment.

:agree:

murray26
06-12-2018, 03:08 PM

Spot on PB 👍