PDA

View Full Version : Mallan

dp00
05-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Been very poor for weeks ? Other than his free kicks I’m struggling to understand his role in the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyehibee
05-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Been very poor for weeks ? Other than his free kicks I’m struggling to understand his role in the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t have the energy and drive we need in centre midfield

K.Marx
05-12-2018, 10:26 PM
Didn’t have a single shot on goal tonight. If he’s not shooting he’s contributing **** all.

Heisenberg
05-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Didn’t have a single shot on goal tonight. If he’s not shooting he’s contributing **** all.

Apart from setting up another goal.

Frazerbob
05-12-2018, 10:27 PM
He spent most of the first half playing deeper than Bartley.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2018, 10:28 PM
Needs a rest. Played every bloody game.

Johnny_Leith
05-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Don't let facts get in the way of pure hatred, it's no the hibs.net way.

Mallan battled well all game, set up a goal and tried to keep us moving, he was fine tonight.

K.Marx
05-12-2018, 10:29 PM

Aye, good corner. What about general play? Poor again. I feel bad singling him out right now but just expected more.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2018, 10:30 PM
I have said it so many times this season, if he's not taking free kicks or corners, i wouldn't know he was on the park.

He obviously can take a decent free kick, and he can score from distance too, but we really need to find a system to enhance that or he shouldn't be in the team.

LaMotta

:agree:
The 16th goal he's either scored or directly assisted this season.

madhatter
Horgan and Mallan cannot keep with their man and cannot keep running for 90mins.

Not a single summer signing has contributed much from open play. Mallan freekicks and corners, great...a few shots here and there but nothing else.

Our recruitment department and coaching staff need looked at.

We've signed poor players by the looks of it and most of our experienced players are injured...What are they doing to scout and what are they doing to keep these players in good condition?

sean04
05-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Looks awesome at the start of the season, dangerous and looked like he would score goals for fun. He's completely lost all his confidence. Saying that it seems everyone has. Big flo isn't himself, Boyle is saving his goals for aussies, Milligan was a superstar when he arrived, looks like he's lost his edge

FifeHibs
05-12-2018, 10:31 PM
We have probably conceded as much due to him not picking up players, challenging etc.

Smartie
05-12-2018, 10:35 PM
He's crap and is a big part of our current trouble.

Chic Charnley had a lovely left foot, a good set piece on him, no pace and not enough graft. We couldn't carry him and ended up relegated.

Mallan doesn't have the match intelligence to adapt his game to cope with his lack of pace, which is being horribly exposed at this level.

Great shot from distance, excellent free kicks, good standard of corner but a passenger, a liability and a luxury that we can't afford to carry.

Needs binned pronto, and it's frightening that we've probably gambled a sizeable chunk of our budget on this gamble.

LaMotta
05-12-2018, 10:35 PM
We have probably conceded as much due to him not picking up players, challenging etc.

You think hes responsible for 16 goals weve lost:rolleyes:

Jones28
05-12-2018, 10:37 PM
He made one solid tackle that I can remember tonight, and a single good run into the box that went to nothing. Good corner, but overall that contribution is not enough.

calumhibee1
05-12-2018, 10:38 PM

He's scored 9, not 16?

wookie70
05-12-2018, 10:39 PM
I completely forgot he was playing in the second half. He went missing for about 15 minutes. I can't believe Slivka isn't getting 2 or 3 games on the trot in the middle as he is the nearest we have to a mobile midfielder.

calumhibee1
05-12-2018, 10:41 PM
I completely forgot he was playing in the second half. He went missing for about 15 minutes. I can't believe Slivka isn't getting 2 or 3 games on the trot in the middle as he is the nearest we have to a mobile midfielder.

Not a big Slivka fan but thought he done well enough when he came on. Would look at having him in there against St Mirren.

Big_Franck
05-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Chic Charnley had a lovely left foot, a good set piece on him, no pace and not enough graft. We couldn't carry him and ended up relegated.

Mallan doesn't have the match intelligence to adapt his game to cope with his lack of pace, which is being horribly exposed at this level.

Great shot from distance, excellent free kicks, good standard of corner but a passenger, a liability and a luxury that we can't afford to carry.

Needs binned pronto, and it's frightening that we've probably gambled a sizeable chunk of our budget on this gamble.

I agree with all of this. He's criminally slow and unbelievably weak. He's a man light when we dont have the ball as well. If we had any decent alternatives he'd have been out the team by now.

LaMotta
05-12-2018, 10:42 PM
He's scored 9, not 16?

Aye and 7 direct assists.

calumhibee1
05-12-2018, 10:43 PM
Aye and 7 direct assists.

Ah ok. :aok:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-12-2018, 10:45 PM
:agree:
The 16th goal he's either scored or directly assisted this season.

I thoughr he was good first half, but anonymous the 2nd

FifeHibs

I think he has contributed along with Horgan to allot of goals we have conceded in the league by not tracking back, tackling and getting. Caught in possession.

FRes Hibbie
I have said it so many times this season, if he's not taking free kicks or corners, i wouldn't know he was on the park.

He obviously can take a decent free kick, and he can score from distance too, but we really need to find a system to enhance that or he shouldn't be in the team.

Yup. He's obviously not directly responsible for 16 goals against us but he is a sizeable chunk of the reason our midfield is very poor in open play.

Tarrahib
05-12-2018, 10:47 PM
He's scored 9, not 16?
Nobody said he scored 16 goals.

LaMotta
05-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Ah ok. :aok:

:aok:

I understand some of the criticism against him. In particular he lacks pace, we knew that before he came the Barnsley fans made that clear.

But Its CRAZY to not have him in the team given how many goals he is involved in for us. Who replaces him?!

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Nobody said he scored 16 goals.

You are wasting your time, he see's things in posts that are just not there?

LaMotta
05-12-2018, 10:50 PM
I thoughr he was good first half, but anonymous the 2nd

He wasn't anonymous in the second half if he set up a goal! Come on!

calumhibee1
05-12-2018, 10:50 PM

You're utterly obsessed with me eh? :faf: PM me your address, I'll send you an autograph.

dmc1875
05-12-2018, 10:53 PM
He can take a dead ball - he’s a luxury player if ever there was one.

Not a great passer, not good in the tackle, awareness isn’t great. Isn’t quick at all.

Got to get back to a system when he’s a luxury we can afford cause he’s getting found out to be a pretty poor midfielder at the moment

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2018, 10:54 PM
You're utterly obsessed with me eh? :faf: PM me your address, I'll send you an autograph.

And i will keep pointing out your lies.

FifeHibs
:aok:

I understand some of the criticism against him. In particular he lacks pace, we knew that before he came the Barnsley fans made that clear.

But Its CRAZY to not have him in the team given how many goals he is involved in for us. Who replaces him?!

That's the problem 🤷*♂️

LaMotta
I think he has contributed along with Horgan to allot of goals we have conceded in the league by not tracking back, tackling and getting. Caught in possession.

You think that? How many?Are you just guessing? Is it just a feeling?

hibbytam
05-12-2018, 10:56 PM
He can take a dead ball - he’s a luxury player if ever there was one.

Not a great passer, not good in the tackle, awareness isn’t great. Isn’t quick at all.

Got to get back to a system when he’s a luxury we can afford cause he’s getting found out to be a pretty poor midfielder at the moment

He gets us goals, how is that a luxury player?

The problem is we don't have a midfield that allows him to develop, and cover for what he lacks. But we'd be worse if we dropped him, because we'd score fewer goals.

calumhibee1
05-12-2018, 10:58 PM
And i will keep pointing out your lies.

You're nothing if not consistent with your following me around the forum, I'll give you that. If this was in person rather than online I'd have to get a restraining order on you.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2018, 10:59 PM
You're nothing if not consistent with your following me around the forum, I'll give you that. If this was in person rather than online I'd have to get a restraining order on you.

Someone need to keep pointing out your pish and lies.

dmc1875
05-12-2018, 10:59 PM

The problem is we don't have a midfield that allows him to develop, and cover for what he lacks. But we'd be worse if we dropped him, because we'd score fewer goals.

We need to get back to being able to justify him having a spot so he can create goals. I did say that.

His goals have dried up - he isn’t getting into space to shoot anymore.

He is a luxury player - he isn’t a John mcginn or a type that gets about the park - heart on sleeve etc.

Apart from dead balls and his long range shot - he’s not exactly good at anything is he? Hence luxury and as I stated we need to get back to being set up so we can justify having him in the team and not have him being a liability for the midfield

LaMotta
05-12-2018, 11:01 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

Sergey

5 No Trumps

calumhibee1
Someone need to keep pointing out your pish and lies.

Utterly obsessed.

Mango Man
05-12-2018, 11:04 PM
Definitely think he needs dropped/rested for a few games, gone a bit stale of late.

007 Mickey Weir
05-12-2018, 11:05 PM
He isn’t the problem. He burst a gut especially in the second half. All the players are real in the tackle and give the ball away too easily.

Stuart93
05-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Like someone’s said now that his goals have dried up his all round play isn’t very good. He goes missing in games, hides when we have the ball. Countless times when we were attacking you were looking for him to be involved, edge of the box but he wasn’t there.

Him boyle & kamberi were incredibly poor tonight

CMurdoch
05-12-2018, 11:07 PM
During the summer when we were looking to sign him I looked on a Barnsley supporters forum and they were discussing the usual who should stay and who should go.
One guy spoke about Mallan and his lack of mobility and how you would need someone on the pitch with him to carry him about.

His wonderful goals from free kicks and shooting from just outside the box at the start of the season have dried up now as other teams have caught on and stopped conceding free kicks just outside the box as well as closing him down to stop him shooting in open play.

If we want to make use of his free kick abilities we need Boyle, Horgan etc to attack the centre of the oppositions defence to force them to give away free kicks in positions Mallan can utilise. At the moment we continually play the ball to the flanks and then try to cross the ball into the box.

If we don't play tactically to utilise his strengths there is sadly little point in having him in the team.

Pretty Boy
05-12-2018, 11:29 PM
A hide and seek champion without the seek. Probably a fine player to have when things are going well; when the sleeves need to be rolled up he's like a man short.

we are hibs
06-12-2018, 12:08 AM
One of the least mobile midfielders I've ever seen. He genuinely struggles to get from one end of the park to the otjerm

neil7908
06-12-2018, 12:12 AM
He is far, far too lightweight. He needs to get on the same training regime as SJM. His booking today came from him trying and failing to win the ball back and then getting frustrated kicking the guy.

I agree with other posters when they say he's not very mobile. A definite asset but I think he needs a different kind of player next to him to drive us forward.

I actually thought Slivka was out best player tonight and changed the game when he came on. I know this has been done to death but I'd like to see him getting a shot in the centre of a midfield 2.

worcesterhibby
06-12-2018, 12:15 AM
One of the least mobile midfielders I've ever seen. He genuinely struggles to get from one end of the park to the otjerm

To be fair, I’m not sure anyone has ever made it to the otjerm!!

TheHarpy76
06-12-2018, 12:21 AM
Feel sorry for him.
Look at who he’s supposed to replace.

Thankless task!

Fergos
06-12-2018, 12:29 AM
Lads got talent no doubt but not the sort to flourish this Hibs team, I’d say system but there isn’t much of that either to any great tactical degree. To me he also looks a bit unfit.

Diclonius
06-12-2018, 12:30 AM
We replaced McGinn, McGeouch and Allan with two poor man's Allans (one of whom can score goals) and Bartley but slightly better at passing.

That's our main problem.

cleanyman
06-12-2018, 05:48 AM
I cannae believe it

Finally, folk see what I see

Tyler Durden
06-12-2018, 07:07 AM
We don’t have any midfielders who can cope playing in a central 2, certainly not Mallan.

Mainstandman
06-12-2018, 08:52 AM
He needs a rest or better training for fitness. getting cramp like that in that game is poor. Lack of fitness, I'll be well hacked off if he plays Saturday.

calumhibee1
06-12-2018, 08:54 AM
We don’t have any midfielders who can cope playing in a central 2, certainly not Mallan.

Agree. Because of the type of midfielders we’ve loaded our team with we have to play a 3 or it won’t really work. Too many guys who play in behind the striker(s) or sitting in front of the back 4 with only Slivka being able to do a bit of both.

Dancehibs
06-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Spot on. Any combination in a two gets run ragged. We went to having one of the best to this. Brought in plenty cash for mcginn. Need minimum two good midfield players in January.

BILLYHIBS
06-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Cannot fault his effort last night he tried I think in the last ten minutes he either got cramp or pulled his hammy but sadly still not good enough imho

Perhaps taking him out of the squad in the current climate for a few weeks will give him a break and time to recharge his batteries revive his appetite and who knows he might return a fresh player and get back to the thirty yard rakers.

Lewiehas2
06-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Mallan battled well all game, set up a goal and tried to keep us moving, he was fine tonight.

Totally agree

Jones28
06-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Slivka has got to come in to give Mallan a chance to get further forward. Let the holding mid and slivka do the dirty work and open things up for Mallan to do what he does well. McGinn and Mcgeouch did this for Allan last season and it worked.

He's like a man short for 75% of a match at the moment, great when things are going well and with quick passes at the edge of the box but anonymous when sleaves need rolled up.

Stuart93
06-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Mallan hid the majority of the night, posted missing and totally anonymous.

Apart from one decent delivery for the goal

Mr_F
06-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Chic Mallan

Great way to evaluate him!

Edinburgh Green
06-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately he’s starting to look like Ross Chisholm with a great free kick.

calumhibee1
06-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately he’s starting to look like Ross Chisholm with a great free kick.

What a player to pick out. Had forgotten all about him. Been playing juniors for the last 4 years according to Wiki and actually looks like he could be Sparkys brother in the picture.

matty_f
06-12-2018, 12:47 PM
I think Mallan is a good player in a bad system. We're not getting anywhere near the best out of him, and as it stands (other than the odd dead ball) you could take him out of the side and not replace him, and we'd barely notice.

Keith_M
06-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Exactly who would you put on in his place?

The problem is that we don't actually have better.

Smartie
06-12-2018, 01:06 PM

We don't have better attributes but we have players who have fewer glaring weaknesses, who might contribute towards a stronger team unit.

It's annoying because you'd want to think you could accommodate that right foot and set piece delivery, but he has been the only constant throughout our awful run and other than possibly as a second striker I just can't work out how to fit him into a team.

overdrive
06-12-2018, 01:06 PM
It is a shame we can't just bring him on for set pieces like a kicker would in American Football because that's all he's really contributing.

matty_f
06-12-2018, 01:09 PM

I don't want us to replace him, I want us to find a system that gets the best out of him.

HibbyKeith
06-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Just wish he would concentrate on his own game rather than everyone else's. He spends most of the match pointing at players rather than picking up a player to mark himself. Drives me crazy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Springbank
06-12-2018, 03:22 PM
when Mallan signed I was excited, and I liked his initial interview - where he acknowledged he had been relegated with every team he has played for up til now, and "owed a few people" to show his full potential after being given a new lease of life at Easter Road.

I'm seeing the relegation part loud & clear right now.

I hope we see more of the "I owe it to people to fulfil my potential" part frm now onwards though.

Unseen work
06-12-2018, 11:59 PM
Mallan is the only centre mid that shows, gets on it and try’s to make things happen. He is a match winner with his assists and goals he has contributed so far, he like the rest of the team have lost confidence but it’s normally him that sets up the attacks with a good ball.

He wasn’t signed based on the defensive side of his game, although how many goals have came from him not doing his jobs in midfield? Not many I would suspect.

If you look at our goals conceded lately they have been comedy gold from our defence who have been unable to do the basics.

One January comes and we get new signings and a settled team he will come into his own.

Talk of him not being good enough is mad

Tornadoes70
07-12-2018, 12:09 AM
Mallan is the only centre mid that shows, gets on it and try’s to make things happen. He is a match winner with his assists and goals he has contributed so far, he like the rest of the team have lost confidence but it’s normally him that sets up the attacks with a good ball.

He wasn’t signed based on the defensive side of his game, although how many goals have came from him not doing his jobs in midfield? Not many I would suspect.

If you look at our goals conceded lately they have been comedy gold from our defence who have been unable to do the basics.

One January comes and we get new signings and a settled team he will come into his own.

For a good while we had a steady pretty tight defensive unit in place until fairly recently.

A good team is built from the back and we really have to sort out the basic mistakes that have cost us dearly.

Once we refrain from leaking preventable goals it'll go a long way to begin winning games again.

Stuart93
07-12-2018, 12:16 AM

That bit in your first line where you say “he shows” he doesn’t, at all. He hides when push comes to shove.

Unseen work
07-12-2018, 12:36 AM
That bit in your first line where you say “he shows” he doesn’t, at all. He hides when push comes to shove.

Sorry but I disagree with that. He’s the one that tries to pick it up and make things happen

Hi Heid Yin
07-12-2018, 12:49 AM

:tee hee::tee hee: That made me chuckle!

You and Blackpool Hibs interactions have become a great wee and welcome side show!

Hi Heid Yin
07-12-2018, 12:51 AM
I think Mallan is a good player in a bad system. We're not getting anywhere near the best out of him, and as it stands (other than the odd dead ball) you could take him out of the side and not replace him, and we'd barely notice.

:agree::agree:

California-Hibs
07-12-2018, 03:48 AM
He'll be dropped for Allan in January.

AgentDaleCooper
07-12-2018, 04:00 AM
Just wish he would concentrate on his own game rather than everyone else's. He spends most of the match pointing at players rather than picking up a player to mark himself. Drives me crazy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

the thing that does my nut most is that when passes the ball or looses it, quite a lot of the time he just stops running. he is the anti-SJM, sadly.

what he brings most to the team is goals, and unfortunately teams have figured out that if you don't give him space outside the box and don't give away dangerous free kicks, all he can do is spray a couple of decent passes and maybe meg someone at some point, and other than that he'll be completely anonymous.

Diclonius
07-12-2018, 09:02 AM
He'll be dropped for Allan in January.

I doubt Allan is coming.

calumhibee1
07-12-2018, 09:03 AM
I doubt Allan is coming.

Likewise. Hope I’m wrong but I suspect Aberdeen will be in for him and he’ll go there.