PDA

View Full Version : Stop this Mercer P*sh

ThomasAgyepong
05-12-2018, 02:53 PM
During the match the singing section starting singing that dreadful song. “Wallace Mercer’s dead”, load of Sh*t if I’m honest with you. When the team are 2-0 down do you not thing we should be trying out best to motivate the lads? I suggest whenever we sing that song we try our best to drown it out with a proper Hibs song that’s surely better than that P*sh. We are currently playing sh*t so we should sing songs about HIBS and not Wallace Mercer.

Carheenlea
05-12-2018, 02:59 PM
It’s not a song sung much at Easter Road - more reserved for boozy away days and pretty much exclusive to a small percentage of the support. Not condoning it, but not as big an issue as it’s made out. There will have been more posts complaining about it on Hibs.net than individuals joining in with the song. Doubt we’ll hear it tonight.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2018, 04:21 PM
I sing the song every day at home just to cheer me up, and i will join in every time its sung at a Hibs game. :lolyam::brokenyam::jamboclow

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-12-2018, 04:23 PM
During the match the singing section starting singing that dreadful song. “Wallace Mercer’s dead”, load of Sh*t if I’m honest with you. When the team are 2-0 down do you not thing we should be trying out best to motivate the lads? I suggest whenever we sing that song we try our best to drown it out with a proper Hibs song that’s surely better than that P*sh. We are currently playing sh*t so we should sing songs about HIBS and not Wallace Mercer.

Agree, it’s quite embarrassing tbh. Usually find it’s the wee laddies who think they’re casuals because they wear Stone Island that sing it.

we are hibs
05-12-2018, 04:29 PM
No

Diclonius
05-12-2018, 04:34 PM
If you sing songs that fans of all other football teams would regard as unacceptable , you lose your right to criticise sectarian/racist ***** from the OF/Hearts etc.

Just cause it's Hibs doesn't mean it's fine.

Here’s Lucy!
05-12-2018, 04:36 PM
It's a disgusting song and wholly inappropriate.

Dancehibs
05-12-2018, 04:39 PM
I sing the song every day at home just to cheer me up, and i will join in every time its sung at a Hibs game. :lolyam::brokenyam::jamboclow
Agreed

Dancehibs
05-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Agree, it’s quite embarrassing tbh. Usually find it’s the wee laddies who think they’re casuals because they wear Stone Island that sing it.
Based on that comment I’m thinking you weren’t at Killie. Lots of scarfers were
singing it

05-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Mercer is fair game

DarlingtonHibee
05-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Agreed

Quite sad.

JeMeSouviens
Based on that comment I’m thinking you weren’t at Killie. Lots of scarfers were
singing it

I was at Killie but far side of stand from drummer & co. How does it go? :dunno:

SirDavidsNapper
Mercer doesn't even deserve a derogatory song.

oneone73
05-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Mercer is fair game

Yes, but is his widow?

HTD1875
05-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Oh it’s not a shame

sixtwo
05-12-2018, 04:49 PM

Totally agree. People have short memories. That FTB tried to kill us as a club. Never forget!

Here’s Lucy!
05-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Yes, but is his widow?

Good point.

Jones28
05-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Totally agree. People have short memories. That FTB tried to kill us as a club. Never forget!

Most of the people that sing it weren't even born at the time.

Time to let it go.

The_Horde
05-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Mercer died.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-12-2018, 05:11 PM

Never forget, as Take That famously sang! 👍

hibbymick
05-12-2018, 05:12 PM

😆😆😆

Elephant Stone
05-12-2018, 05:18 PM
If you sing songs that fans of all other football teams would regard as unacceptable , you lose your right to criticise sectarian/racist ***** from the OF/Hearts etc.

Just cause it's Hibs doesn't mean it's fine.

Eh nah, the mercer song is crass but it doesn't equate to bigotry or racism, nowhere near it. Moronic comment.

BullsCloseHibs
05-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Mercer is fair game

👍

SRHibs
05-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Eh nah, the mercer song is crass but it doesn't equate to bigotry or racism, nowhere near it. Moronic comment.

It’s worse in a sense, as it’s not just generalisms and can definitely offend his family members. Singing about his wife having a dildo because he’s dead is unbelievably crass.

EDIT: "More offensive" probably would've been better than "worse".

Elephant Stone
05-12-2018, 05:29 PM
It’s worse in a sense, as it’s not just generalisms and can definitely offend his family members. Singing about his wife having a dildo because he’s dead is unbelievably crass.

Singing about out-living a man who actively tried to shut down Hibs is worse than hating people for the colour of their skin. Right.

Malthibby
05-12-2018, 05:34 PM

Don't personally believe it's worse than bigotry & racism, but do agree that it's utterly, utterly pathetic.
I was around at the time, vile man, but we should be better than this.

overdrive
05-12-2018, 05:35 PM

I don’t really have a problem with the original Mercer song. I think he’s fair game. I think the songs about his wife are disgusting. There is the one you refer to but last December there were other Xmas themed ones about her too that I hope don’t get an airing this year.

The 90+2
05-12-2018, 05:36 PM
This has been brought up just now to nothing but **** stir and troll.

SRHibs
05-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Singing about out-living a man who actively tried to shut down Hibs is worse than hating people for the colour of their skin. Right.

Of course racism is objectively worse, but things are more offensive when they're personal. I just think the song is completely out of sync with this "Hibs Class" tag-line people seem to throw around on here.

Oscar T Grouch
05-12-2018, 05:37 PM
The best thing we can do as a support is no mention the guy who tried to destroy us, make him a footnote in the history of Hibs, by continuing to sing about him we increase his renown. Mercer is a minor character in history who tried his best to wipe us off the face of the earth and he failed he should be forgotten about not sung about. I didn't hear it on Saturday but do hear it more away than at ER. Singing about him is no way equitable to racism or sectarianism though.

cabbageandribs1875
05-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Mercer is fair game

Yes

Yes, but is his widow?

No

Elephant Stone
05-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Of course racism is objectively worse, but things are more offensive when they're personal. I just think it's completely out of sync with this "Hibs Class" tag line people seem to throw around on here.

It's definitely not a classy song but at worst it's crass. I probably wouldn't sing it myself these days but wouldn't expect people who do sing it to say nothing if they saw someone being racially abused because they are equally as bad and forbidden to object to racism as a consequence. Beyond moronic thing to say.

SRHibs
05-12-2018, 05:43 PM
but wouldn't expect people who do sing it to say nothing if they saw someone being racially abused because they are equally as bad and forbidden to object to racism as a consequence.

Beyond moronic thing to say.

What a leap that is.

Elephant Stone
05-12-2018, 05:44 PM
What a leap that is.

A leap from what?

SRHibs
05-12-2018, 05:45 PM
A leap from what?

From your lack of reading comprehension I guess. Which part of "racism is of course objectively worse" didn't you manage to grasp? The point is that the song serves to do nothing but offend his family who are left - especially the one with lines about his widow in it. When things are personal they are going to be more offensive than general bigotry.

Sing it if you want. Hibs class and all that eh.

Elephant Stone
05-12-2018, 05:47 PM
From your lack of reading comprehension I guess. Which part of "racism is of course objectively worse" didn't you manage to grasp? The point is that the song serves to do nothing but offend his family who are left - especially the one with lines about his widow in it. When things are personal they are going to be more offensive than general bigotry.

Sing it if you want. Hibs class and all that eh.

Ha, some tone pal. I'm talking about the post I originally quoted when you challenged me.

SRHibs
05-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Ha, some tone pal. I'm talking about the post I originally quoted when you challenged me.

Fair do's. Apologies!

Elephant Stone
05-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Fair do's. Apologies!

:aok:

JohnMcM
05-12-2018, 05:50 PM
This has been brought up just now to nothing but **** stir and troll.

Looks like that goal has been achieved within normal time.

:flag:

Keith_M
05-12-2018, 06:00 PM
You know, despite having been at a number of away games this season, I'm still not sure what the Mercer Song is (I honestly can't make out the words any more :-) )

What tune is it sung to?

The 90+2
05-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Looks like that goal has been achieved within normal time.

Yep. Fair play to the **** stirrer.

hibbysam
05-12-2018, 06:07 PM
How, if any of you that are ‘embarrassed’ or offended by the song we’re tbere, did you guys feel the day of the minutes silence at tynie?

Guess that was equally as ‘crass’ and ‘offensive’ to disrespect a dead man like that?

Man was a coward and vile towards hibs, I’m not going to be sympathetic to him or his family.

JeMeSouviens
05-12-2018, 06:18 PM
You know, despite having been at a number of away games this season, I'm still not sure what the Mercer Song is (I honestly can't make out the words any more :-) )

What tune is it sung to?

Glad it's not just me!

bodhibs
05-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Me too, heard ive heard it briefly a couple away trips this season but I've no idea about lyrics or musical score 😉

brianmc
05-12-2018, 06:29 PM
How, if any of you that are ‘embarrassed’ or offended by the song we’re tbere, did you guys feel the day of the minutes silence at tynie?

Guess that was equally as ‘crass’ and ‘offensive’ to disrespect a dead man like that?

Man was a coward and vile towards hibs, I’m not going to be sympathetic to him or his family.

I for one am delighted I was there that day and got to make my feelings about the horrible, greasy FTB known to the watching puddle drinking hoardes.

JohnMcM
05-12-2018, 06:31 PM

I must confess, I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

I also confess that as a Hibs fan, you're tirade embarrasses me and makes me think that there is something seriously, very seriously wrong with the mentality of some factions of our beautiful team's support.

Let it go my friend, it's been, it's done and gone. There's no need to prolong the sadness of Mr Mercer's family. We are here, we are Hibs, we live and go on.

jabis
05-12-2018, 06:40 PM

And there in lies the problem.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-12-2018, 06:48 PM
I never realised there were new words, I'm happy enough with the old words though.

Jim44
05-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Personally I wouldn’t ever be moved to sing about a person like Mercer who tried and failed to destroy our club - I would just despise him quietly from afar. What I would say, however, is that the ‘faults, connivance and ill-intentions’ of an individual should not be forgiven because he is now dead. A very extreme example, but illustrating the sentiment, is Adolph Hitler. Did his death obliterate and whitewash his evil acts?

where'stheslope
05-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Singing this type of song at matches is not great, but, how many of our players have realistily even heard of him?
I think we would be better singing to help the players find their form, not listening to something that most or all no nothing about!!!!

tamig
05-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Are we talking the legendary original version or the more unsavoury new version referencing his widow?

hibbysam
05-12-2018, 09:09 PM
I must confess, I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

I also confess that as a Hibs fan, you're tirade embarrasses me and makes me think that there is something seriously, very seriously wrong with the mentality of some factions of our beautiful team's support.

Let it go my friend, it's been, it's done and gone. There's no need to prolong the sadness of Mr Mercer's family. We are here, we are Hibs, we live and go on.

Your easily embarrassed, probably says more about you. I really couldn’t care less about the sadness his family feel. Had he succeeded, would they have cared a jot about our sadness? Absolutely not.

Quite a simple point I made in that I guarantee there’s plenty on here bemoaning that song that we’re giving it yaldy in the roseburn that day.

Your right, we are here, and that fat Tory welt is not. Good riddance.

SideBurns
05-12-2018, 09:19 PM
I hated the *******. What I can't understand is why any Hibs fans would want to sing his name? It can only be daft wee laddies who weren't around at the time, because those of us who were can hardly bear to utter the man's name without throwing up. He's deid. Leave him there.

Connollys11
05-12-2018, 09:29 PM
During the match the singing section starting singing that dreadful song. “Wallace Mercer’s dead”, load of Sh*t if I’m honest with you. When the team are 2-0 down do you not thing we should be trying out best to motivate the lads? I suggest whenever we sing that song we try our best to drown it out with a proper Hibs song that’s surely better than that P*sh. We are currently playing sh*t so we should sing songs about HIBS and not Wallace Mercer. this song is dreadful i much prefer the "WALLACE MERCER SIX FEET UNDER" one.

lord bunberry
05-12-2018, 11:00 PM
I hope the **** comes back to life so I can celebrate his death a second time.

HibeeHibernian4
05-12-2018, 11:02 PM
I hope the **** comes back to life so I can celebrate his death a second time.

:agree:

zitelli62
05-12-2018, 11:57 PM
That man is the only man I have ever hated after he tried to kill our club he was a FTB who thought we would roll over and die I spent many a long night burning the midnight oil at the time trying to help save the club I love I ever fell out with relatives at the time who I've only just recently got back talking with because of him he caused so much grief to many a family I will never forgive him if people want to sing about him its fine by me let's not forget he tried to kill us I'm sorry it's maybe a generation thing but I will never forget or forgive him for what he done to me and my family or what he tried to do to the club I love.

GGTTH

06-12-2018, 12:22 AM
Arrogant man who dosen't deserve any recognition. We won, he failed. That's his legacy, leave it at that.

06-12-2018, 12:25 AM
I hated the *******. What I can't understand is why any Hibs fans would want to sing his name? It can only be daft wee laddies who weren't around at the time, because those of us who were can hardly bear to utter the man's name without throwing up. He's deid. Leave him there.

This. I've heard my old mans tales of the hurt this man brought. I hate him for that. But Mercer was so arrogant that he wanted his name written into history. Lets not give him the notorious reputation he craved. As i said, we won, he lost.

Fife-Hibee
06-12-2018, 12:59 AM
We sing songs about a man who tried to destroy our club and even go so far to sing songs involving his family members. Why don't we ever sing derogatory songs about people who contributed to the deaths of thousands of people, such as evil dictators and b*****d politicians?

Mercer was vile. But there has been far more vile people throughout history and we don't feel the need to sing songs about them. The man is long dead, I really wish the songs would die as well.

Col L
06-12-2018, 08:23 AM
This song bugs the **** out of me as well.

I absolutely hated Mercer back in the day - and I've slaughtered his ego, personality , politics and motives on many an occasion - but a song in 2018 about a guy that died in 12 years ago is so cringey. Half the folk singing it weren't even born when he tried to wipe Hibs off the face of the earth in 1990, so why the big interest in him now. Like other posters have said, it's just putting him back in the public eye... which he would love.

Leave him to the history books. His legacy will always be tainted, but there's no place for him in song.

I'm proud of the phrase 'Hibs Class' - but this song is far from that I'm afraid. When have we ever sung about someone dying before (other than the previous Wallace Mercer song!).

Cmon, wisen up and ditch it and get back to being Hibs Class.

Frazerbob
06-12-2018, 09:35 AM
As said earlier, Mercer is fair game. Those of us around at the time will never forgive or forget. I hated the man when he was alive and I still hate him all these years after his death. The original song is/was acceptable IMHO. It was even more relevant after 21/05/16. Not sure why the young team are so obsessed though and the new song is a bit crass. Again, IMHO.

JeMeSouviens
06-12-2018, 09:39 AM
As said earlier, Mercer is fair game. Those of us around at the time will never forgive or forget. I hated the man when he was alive and I still hate him all these years after his death. The original song is/was acceptable IMHO. It was even more relevant after 21/05/16. Not sure why the young team are so obsessed though and the new song is a bit crass. Again, IMHO.

Well said. We should rework Elvis Costello's "Tramp the Dirt Down" albeit a difficult one for community singing. :greengrin

JXM73
06-12-2018, 09:47 AM
it's a catchy wee tune, and quite funny.... good few signing on saturday too... but change the words a wee bit and keep the tune...

WeeRussell
07-12-2018, 08:01 PM

I must be a moron too, as I struggle to see how people can revel in the death of another human being, sing songs about his old-aged widow using sex toys, and then take the moral high ground over sectarian songs.

Both have no place in football, and the line between the two is nowhere near as big as you’re making out. If it helps to satisfy your conscience when joining in then bash on.. but it’s the same level of pathetic excuse that old firm fans would come up with for joining in with the “atmosphere”.

Kavinho
07-12-2018, 08:34 PM
It's a shameful tune.

Singing it brings shame on our club.

matty_f
07-12-2018, 08:39 PM
I have to admit to not knowing the words to the new song, so I can't really comment on it.

Always thought that the lines:

There's sunshine on Leith
He's six feet beneath

fitted with the old version quite nicely though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-12-2018, 08:40 PM
I'm having a beer just now! 🍺

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-12-2018, 08:41 PM
He's no!

green day
07-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Surely it's a valid distraction to how utterly pish we are at the moment 😂

lord bunberry
07-12-2018, 08:43 PM
He's no!
He’s deid

matty_f
07-12-2018, 08:45 PM
By the way, we weren't 2-0 down at any point.

Hibernian32
08-12-2018, 12:01 AM
Rat of a man I'll sing with glory, btw I wasn't born when WW2 happened but i still hate the nazis

IGRIGI
08-12-2018, 12:04 AM
I'll be damned if the PC brigade take the Mercer song from us.

Brizo
08-12-2018, 06:25 AM
Rat of a man I'll sing with glory, btw I wasn't born when WW2 happened but i still hate the nazis

As much as I dislike what Mercer attempted to do I don't think that's a particularly appropriate comparison, although I assume your not treating the attempted takeover and the holocaust as similar events.

As others have said most of the singers weren't born in 1990. I think that a lot of the Mercer singing is young laddies playing up, trying to be edgy and controversial. Their counterparts over the other side of the city do it with diet hun stuff, our young team do with this unnecessary pish.

And I do think its unnecessary pish. I was there, attended all the rallys and wore the (HOH) t shirt, but don't feel the need to wallow in his death

One Day
08-12-2018, 08:45 AM
I don’t really have a problem with the original Mercer song. I think he’s fair game. I think the songs about his wife are disgusting. There is the one you refer to but last December there were other Xmas themed ones about her too that I hope don’t get an airing this year.

Agree with this, no problem with the original song. As said in another post " Wallace Mercer is deid and we're no". Could easily have been the other way roud

The 90+2
08-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Mind when they sold Gordon? You’ve just sold your keeper...😄😄

Forza Fred
08-12-2018, 12:23 PM
O.p. With very low post count starts thread about Wallace Mercer....

Nothing suspicious about that at all, is there?

Hibernian32
08-12-2018, 12:30 PM
As much as I dislike what Mercer attempted to do I don't think that's a particularly appropriate comparison, although I assume your not treating the attempted takeover and the holocaust as similar events.

As others have said most of the singers weren't born in 1990. I think that a lot of the Mercer singing is young laddies playing up, trying to be edgy and controversial. Their counterparts over the other side of the city do it with diet hun stuff, our young team do with this unnecessary pish.

And I do think its unnecessary pish. I was there, attended all the rallys and wore the (HOH) t shirt, but don't feel the need to wallow in his death
So I can't sing about 7-0 or 6-2 since I wasn't alive? Will our kids & grankids not sing about 2016 because oh wait you didn't see it l, away and take your face for a ***** at least I'm no sitting on my hands saying nout

bigwheel
08-12-2018, 12:34 PM
So I can't sing about 7-0 or 6-2 since I wasn't alive? Will our kids & grankids not sing about 2016 because oh wait you didn't see it l, away and take your face for a ***** at least I'm no sitting on my hands saying nout

Fire away with the historic and heritage football songs...but let's not pretend they compare them hateful songs about a dead guy and his wife....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Mercer is fair game … his family and especially his widow aren't. When there's a thread on Jambos kickback admitting that his actions were shameful and an embarrassment to their club I'll agree its time to stop singing about him :aok:

One Day
08-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Mercer is fair game … his family and especially his widow aren't. When there's a thread on Jambos kickback admitting that his actions were shameful and an embarrassment to their club I'll agree its time to stop singing about him :aok:

Agreed

08-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Just posting to remind everyone that he’s still deid 👍

kaimendhibs
08-12-2018, 08:25 PM
It's a disgusting song and wholly inappropriate.Agreed

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Johnny Clash
08-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Mercer wasn’t a football fan - he liked rugby
He wasn’t a Jambo - he was just a wee Tory Bassa who liked the kudos that being a chairman of a football club gave him. He wanted to make money and he’d destroy anything to achieve that. A wee venture capitalist, asset stripping pip squeak of a bloke. .Our club - because of the strength of our Hibee community - proved too strong for the Tory rat to destroy. I hate people like that but I just think it’s sad singing about him as if he was some big deal. I’d feel small singing about a nobody like Mercer.

Babyshamble
08-12-2018, 09:01 PM
I'll be damned if the PC brigade take the Mercer song from us.

What do you mean from US ? Do you sing it with your mates before you go to school?

snedzuk
08-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Remember if it wasnt for Wallace Mercer we'd have no-one to think about rimming to save us from premature ejaculation (with thanks and a hat tip to irvine welsh).

lord bunberry
08-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Thank **** for that. **** him and **** all his family as well.

spikeymike
08-12-2018, 10:52 PM

As has been said before in this thread yes give it tight to mercer but leave his family out of it... No need to involve them

lord bunberry
08-12-2018, 11:01 PM
As has been said before in this thread yes give it tight to mercer but leave his family out of it... No need to involve them
Why she married the ****. **** her and the rest of her family, even the distant relatives and their friends as well. And any pets they had.

H113EE5
08-12-2018, 11:10 PM

You’re a complete er$e and as bad as the er$es at Tiny who are happy with Robinson and the right wingers, the clowns at Castle Grey Skull and the soap dodgers at Parkdeed. Jeeezz who wants to decry the dead or their families. Our club weren’t exactly innocent with David Duff in charge. Almost deserved what we almost had.

BegbieHSC
08-12-2018, 11:10 PM

I won’t let it be.

lord bunberry
08-12-2018, 11:23 PM
You’re a complete er$e and as bad as the er$es at Tiny who are happy with Robinson and the right wingers, the clowns at Castle Grey Skull and the soap dodgers at Parkdeed. Jeeezz who wants to decry the dead or their families. Our club weren’t exactly innocent with David Duff in charge. Almost deserved what we almost had.
I do and I thank you for your kind words.

Dashing Bob S
08-12-2018, 11:46 PM
I dislike Mercer but confess that I do find it a bit strange still to be singing about him after all this time.

lord bunberry
09-12-2018, 12:20 AM
I dislike Mercer but confess that I do find it a bit strange still to be singing about him after all this time.
To the victor belongs the spoils

neil7908
09-12-2018, 05:46 AM

I agree. I don't really understand why it's relevant to sing anymore, especially if we're playing someone other than Hearts.

Reminds me of England fans who sing about German bombers. The world has moved on, plenty of ways to show support for the team that might actually galvanise the players. I remember going to the Links after winning the Scottish Cup and seeing a couple of real cretins singing about Mercer, Tommy Burns etc whilst thousands of Hibees young and old were celebrating the best day of their footballing lives. Can't shake that memory every time this is comes up.

Sproule Three
09-12-2018, 06:32 AM
. Our club weren’t exactly innocent with David Duff in charge. Almost deserved what we almost had.

Is that statement for real ???

A Hibs fan saying that we deserved to be destroyed by FTB ( Deceased)
Have a wee think about that !

Hermit Crab
09-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Its an absolute howler of song, folk can sing it if they choose to but personally its not for me. Tarnishes our support imo.

FilipinoHibs
09-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Its an absolute howler of song, folk can sing it if they choose to but personally its not for me. Tarnishes our support imo.

He was an awful man - hun supporting tax dodging Thatcherite. The protest at the one minutes silence was a fitting tribute from us. Let's leave at that. After all we have Romanov and Budge now.

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2018, 08:49 AM
To the victor belongs the spoils

Each to their own. I’ve sang the Mercer songs with gusto in the past as an angry reaction to his behavior regarding our club. But it now seems an irrelevance to me. But each to their own, I’m not in business of criticising others Hibs fans who feel they still have spleen to vent against him, but I’m personally over it.

The Modfather
09-12-2018, 09:09 AM
Wish we could come up with a definitive list of what is morally acceptable and what isn’t. I’ll start:

ACCEPTABLE

Not only singing about someone dying of cancer, but revelling in their families pain

UNACEPTABLE

Singing about Dean Shiels having 1 eye

tamig
09-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Wish we could come up with a definitive list of what is morally acceptable and what isn’t. I’ll start:

ACCEPTABLE

Not only singing about someone dying of cancer, but revelling in their families pain

UNACEPTABLE

I’m sure the song only came about after he’d died. I also think it’s important to differentiate between the original and the newer songs. One is perfectly acceptable in my book and the other less so.

HibeeHibernian4
09-12-2018, 12:59 PM
I’m sure the song only came about after he’d died. I also think it’s important to differentiate between the original and the newer songs. One is perfectly acceptable in my book and the other less so.

The original one was acceptable at the time because it made a valid point that Mercer tried to kill Hibs but Hibs outlived him. It should've been consigned to the history books after a few years. The new one's just crass, I found it quite funny the first time I heard it out in Greece in the sunshine and fuelled by beer, but I was assuming it would be left in Greece.

Brizo
09-12-2018, 01:04 PM

If your keyboard hardman wideo chat is indicative of the calibre of character singing this Mercer pish then I think I rest my case.

Here’s Lucy!
09-12-2018, 04:00 PM

ACCEPTABLE

UNACEPTABLE

I just don't believe this post.

hibsbollah
09-12-2018, 04:03 PM
keyboard hardman wideo chat.

I'm loving this. Definitely stealing it for the title of my new collection of short stories.

Brizo
09-12-2018, 05:02 PM
I'm loving this. Definitely stealing it for the title of my new collection of short stories.

Glad you like it :greengrin

Feel free to use it , its not copyrighted, a brief mention in the credits will do :aok:

TiaMaria
09-12-2018, 05:20 PM
It's a disgusting song and wholly inappropriate.

Agreed

cmcd
09-12-2018, 07:03 PM
The supporters singing that song probably weren't born when Mercer was around .It's a sick song in my opinion

cmcd
09-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Having now read all the posts on here I find 90pcnt of them are an embarrassment to our club .I'm sure I will get abuse for my comment but go ahead . I have supported Hibs for almost 65years and have never known supporters to be so aggressive and childish

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Having now read all the posts on here I find 90pcnt of them are an embarrassment to our club .I'm sure I will get abuse for my comment but go ahead . I have supported Hibs for almost 65years and have never known supporters to be so aggressive and childish

You’re right in what you say but a quick scroll of the past month will show several threads worth of churlish behaviour relating to far more heartfelt issues than than that worthless sod. It’s far too easy to get emotive in this medium, worse still when you’re unsure of what colour scarf you’re arguing with in the first instance, so some folk need a break.

65 years a Hibby is never to be sniffed at though and you’re 18 years better off than me. What’s your best Hibs pair of strikers?

Edit. Scratch that. Joe and Neil is surely good enough for anyone.

cmcd
09-12-2018, 07:54 PM
You’re right in what you say but a quick scroll of the past month will show several threads worth of churlish behaviour relating to far more heartfelt issues than than that worthless sod. It’s far too easy to get emotive in this medium, worse still when you’re unsure of what colour scarf you’re arguing with in the first instance, so some folk need a break.

65 years a Hibby is never to be sniffed at though and you’re 18 years better off than me. What’s your best Hibs pair of strikers?

Edit. Scratch that. Joe and Neil is surely good enough for anyone.

You have obviously read my post on best strikers

Iggy Pope
09-12-2018, 08:05 PM
You have obviously read my post on best strikers

I have and read it with the utmost respect!

Perd Hapley
10-12-2018, 12:15 AM
As someone who got into Hibs after the guy died, I just find it faintly bemusing. I understand that it's impossible to forgive him for many fans but there's a way to express that which surely doesn't involve spitting on his grave. The guy had/has a family after all. Not to get overly moralistic but it's the kind of thing I think we all like to think we're above as Hibs fans.

By which I mean - of all the reasons I have for supporting this club, the fact that it is generally mercifully free from this kind of stuff by the standards of Scottish football, and has its part both in history and in active society against such pish is up there on the list. In a way I don't really give a toss because whilst it was before my generation I can understand the anger and I don't generally make a point of telling other people what they can and can't sing but I'd by lying if I said it really struck me as anything other than faintly cringeworthy and unfortunate when I've heard it against Hearts, let alone against St Mirren.

ErinGoBraghHFC
10-12-2018, 12:54 AM
As someone born after the guy died

Not long until you’re 13!! You excited?

Perd Hapley
10-12-2018, 01:07 AM
Not long until you’re 13!! You excited?

Oh dear, not quite. In my defence I was a good bit younger than that when it did happen and it was only later I started following football - not that that's much of a defence...

Maybe there's humour to be found in death after all - I'd always assumed he died in the 90s somehow. Would like to think the above points still stand, if only because not knowing/noticing when the guy died probably just serves to underline his irrelevance to me and a large section of the younger Hibs support

Edit: should also clarify that I'm fully aware that a smaller subsection of said younger support know exactly when Wallace Mercer died and are very happy to express so both in the stands, and in the streets a la Francis Begbie - not that I'd contend a causal link, merely the general maxim that s***e tends to come from a*******s

cleanyman
10-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Inadvertently saved us from destruction

Let us thank the man

As for the song itself, we can't continually harp on about the actions of other club's supporters on this forum when we have our own set of knuckle draggers as well.

Time For Heroes
10-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Some of the posts on here are honestly embarrassing. Regardless of your views on what the man done, he died of cancer. For me,singing about that is deplorable.
Do the people sing it think about how his family must feel when they hear that or fellow Hibees who have lost someone to cancer, having to listen to people celebrating a man losing his life to such a horrible disease.
Time to stop this imo

Spike Mandela
10-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Forgive your enemy but remember the *******s name.:cb

SirDavidsNapper
10-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Some of the posts on here are honestly embarrassing. Regardless of your views on what the man done, he died of cancer. For me,singing about that is deplorable.
Do the people sing it think about how his family must feel when they hear that or fellow Hibees who have lost someone to cancer, having to listen to people celebrating a man losing his life to such a horrible disease.
Time to stop this imo

Wouldn't wish that horrible disease on anyone, including Mercer. I wouldn't sing about that man at all tbh. He's best consigned to history. Hibernian Football club live on and that's all that matters now.

lapsedhibee
10-12-2018, 11:03 AM

ACCEPTABLE

UNACEPTABLE

I just don't believe this post.

Don't think you were supposed to believe it!

FilipinoHibs
10-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Scottish translation of keyboard warrior.