PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Weir’s EEN Column

Speedway
04-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Does anyone read this. If so, what are your thoughts on it?

BILLYHIBS
04-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Link?

Diclonius
04-12-2018, 09:45 AM
Link?

No! (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/michael-weir-i-expected-a-hibs-drop-off-but-not-this-1-4838591)

BILLYHIBS
04-12-2018, 09:48 AM
No! (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/michael-weir-i-expected-a-hibs-drop-off-but-not-this-1-4838591)

No comment then :greengrin

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/michael-weir-i-expected-a-hibs-drop-off-but-not-this-1-4838591

Carheenlea
04-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Not a lot wrong with what he opines

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/michael-weir-i-expected-a-hibs-drop-off-but-not-this-1-4838591

hibsbollah
04-12-2018, 09:54 AM

All a bit obvious. Uncontroversial and true.

calumhibee1
04-12-2018, 09:56 AM
No earth shattering analysis there. Conceding too many goals, need to shore things up at the back to stand a chance and the midfield and forwards aren’t playing well. Hard to argue with it although it’s going to take more than shoring things up at the back to get us up the table. It would be a start though.

My main focus is our lack of goals for. Even if we’d had 5 clean sheets in a row we’d have only managed 1 win because of our lack of goals. We’ve conceded too many the last 2 games but the 3 before that we’d only conceded 2. The fact we can’t score is a more pressing concern to me.

BILLYHIBS
04-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Does anyone read this. If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Pretty much tells it as it is

My_Wife_Camille
04-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Simple analysis for simple people.

"We haven't been good which is bad. Therefore for things to be less bad we have to be more good and that might or might not happen."

lapsedhibee
04-12-2018, 10:49 AM
"We haven't been good which is bad. Therefore for things to be less bad we have to be more good and that might or might not happen."

Wilson
04-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Mickey Weir's column for footballers who don't defend so good and need to do other stuff good too.

My_Wife_Camille
04-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Mickey Weir's column for footballers who don't defend so good and need to do other stuff good too.
How can we expect defenders to learn how to defend if they can't even fit inside the training centre?

Keith_M
04-12-2018, 01:26 PM

No complaints at his PoV, though I'm still not convinced so many defenders was such a great idea.

I do have a problem with people using the word 'opine'. Only snooty gits say stuff like that, to make the rest if us feel small when we have to look it up...

:na na:

heretoday
04-12-2018, 01:30 PM
No complaints at his PoV, though I'm still not convinced so many defenders was such a great idea.

I do have a problem with people using the word 'opine'. Only snooty gits say stuff like that, to make the rest if us feel small when we have to look it up...

:na na:

:greengrin Small like Mickey?

Keith_M
04-12-2018, 01:34 PM
:greengrin Small like Mickey?

He's not small, he's 'vertically challenged'

:wink:

Diclonius
04-12-2018, 02:03 PM
No comment then :greengrin

If you look more closely you'll see I did provide the link. :wink:

BILLYHIBS
04-12-2018, 02:11 PM
If you look more closely you'll see I did provide the link. :wink:
Ha Ha !
Well played
It would have saved me having to do it if I had noticed
I was born in the fifties and I am **** at IT
No I didn’t see the Famous Five 😁

Speedway
04-12-2018, 03:58 PM
I just wonder if he writes it himself, it could win a booker prize for redundant text.

Packed with sentiments in the style of

It was always going to be tough...

If we keep conceding we'll need to find ways of scoring more...

We've got to look to pick up more points...

December is a crucial month...

The players have got to look at themselves...

etc

It's a masterclass in cliche-ridden stating of the obvious.

I assumed some junior writer was putting it out under his name in the same way as Jimmy Greaves and Gary Lineker used to 'sell' their name to columns they never wrote.

Onion
04-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Usually enjoy MW's comments, but this one was too apologetic and soft on Lennon's approach. The day it is acceptable for Hibs to go to somewhere like Killie and load the team with 7 defenders and try grind out a backs-to-the-wall point is the day I give up on Hibs. That day has not arrived, it is still not acceptable.

CMurdoch
04-12-2018, 04:33 PM
A whole lot of nuthin'

Hi Heid Yin
04-12-2018, 06:37 PM
I find Mickey Weirs column tedious and cliche-ridden.
It's always too soft and safe.
There's never any real or deep analysis or insightful critique.
It's like he goes out of his way to appease everyone who might read it.
He keeps his head below the parapet in every write up.
It's almost like he does not want to upset anyone by challenging or saying anything controversial - the complete opposite to Michael Stewart.

bigwheel
04-12-2018, 06:47 PM
I find Mickey Weirs column tedious and cliche-ridden.
It's always too soft and safe.
There's never any real or deep analysis or insightful critique.
It's like he goes out of his way to appease everyone who might read it.
He keeps his head below the parapet in every write up.
It's almost like he does not want to upset anyone by challenging or saying anything controversial - the complete opposite to Michael Stewart.

do we think he actually writes this column? or just has a chat with a journo who writes it for him? I'm guessing the latter...

hibbymark
04-12-2018, 06:49 PM
I spoke to Mickey recently and he said that he doesn’t get to many games as he helps out with a junior side on Saturday’s.

He said he gets sent the Hibs tv coverage of the games and writes his column from that .

No idea if he has a subscription for Kilmarnock tv or if he did his report from the 5 minute highlights on Sportscene.

Hi Heid Yin
04-12-2018, 07:42 PM
I spoke to Mickey recently and he said that he doesn’t get to many games as he helps out with a junior side on Saturday’s.

He said he gets sent the Hibs tv coverage of the games and writes his column from that .

No idea if he has a subscription for Kilmarnock tv or if he did his report from the 5 minute highlights on Sportscene.

It seems a waste of his so-called football-expert brain, as any one who has little interest in football could pen just as bland a column.

Peevemor
04-12-2018, 10:14 PM

No idea if he has a subscription for Kilmarnock tv or if he did his report from the 5 minute highlights on Sportscene.The match was live on Hibs TV.

basehibby
05-12-2018, 12:33 AM
I get what Weir is saying about confidence etc but unlike him I cannot get my head around jamming the team full of centre halves on Saturday. The old adage that attack is the best form of defence rings true and the result was entirely predictable in a team lacking energy and mobility being given the runaround. It was not at all surprising either that when two of our less mobile senior pros in McGregor and Whitaker were replaced by the lively Horgan and the sprightly youngster Shaw, the team started looking a lot better.

Of course there is room in every team for calm wise heads on older shoulders where maybe the legs are not as quick as they once were - but filling half the team with them will leave you short of pace and dynamism. That's what happened at the weekend for me and we were made to pay for it.