PDA

View Full Version : James McDonaugh

SirDavidsNapper
03-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Looks like he's doing a fantastic job at Edinburgh City. Not sure what budget they have in comparison to the rest of League Two but they look odds on for promotion. Did a great job with our youth team and was assistant manager at a very decent Falkirk side. Maybe played a bigger part than we realise there. One we should maybe consider if/when Lennon moves on?

son of haggart
03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Looks like he's doing a fantastic job at Edinburgh City. Not sure what budget they have in comparison to the rest of League Two but they look odds on for promotion. Did a great job with our youth team and was assistant manager at a very decent Falkirk side. Maybe played a bigger part than we realise there. One we should maybe consider if/when Lennon moves on?

He cites Jefferies and Houston as his mentors so you might not all be pleased!

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/10/11/interview-new-edinburgh-city-boss-james-mcdonaugh-pain-falkirk-exit-embarking-managerial-career-drawing-jim-jefferies-peter-houston-advice-hibs-craig-beattie-alan-maybury/

G15 Hibs
03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Not disparaging the work he's doing there at all, but it does seem that City have been able to spend a bit more on wages than they have in previous seasons. I'm guessing that someone's put a bit of an investment in, although I don't know the facts at all. Danny Handling and Conrad Balatoni signed for them in the summer and with both having relatively recent experience higher up the leagues are likely to be being paid a bit more than other teams at that level can afford. A few extra quid goes a long way in League 2.

Still needs the manager to use it wisely, mind.

jaf
03-12-2018, 01:52 PM
James used to take the Falkirk training on a day to day basis so obviously a contributing factor. Remembering hearing a podcast from Rory Loy saying the training was brilliant.

Centre Hawf
03-12-2018, 02:11 PM
I remember on the way back from Ross County the season we got relegated, we had just lost in the midweek in I think the second last game of the season. Pretty much unanimous agreement in the car was that Terry Butcher should have been punted and we should have let James take charge for however long it was left, wether we beat Killie or had to play the play-off. He was doing a great job with the U20's for a number of years at that point and a lot of us felt he could have given the players the motivation and the actual resemblance of tactics to do their job.

After everything that's happened I'm glad we did end up going down but after seeing how highly regarded he's been held in pretty much every job he's done since leaving us I wouldn't be against him coming in. At the very least if he fancies it as an assistant to someone in future but I'm sure he'll have his sights set on managerial roles from now on.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Seem to have a couple of good strikers that score regularly for fun

Does it bring back any memories folks? :greengrin

green day
03-12-2018, 02:12 PM

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/10/11/interview-new-edinburgh-city-boss-james-mcdonaugh-pain-falkirk-exit-embarking-managerial-career-drawing-jim-jefferies-peter-houston-advice-hibs-craig-beattie-alan-maybury/

I am sure they were a big influence on him, and why not - both had good careers at the top level.

I know his cousin, and James is as big a hibbie as you could find.

CMurdoch
03-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Peterhead with forwards Derek Lyle and McAlister are the only barriers to them winning this Division.
Blair Henderson banging in the goals for Edinburgh City

matty_f
03-12-2018, 04:38 PM
James did a lot of work when the 19's did the double years back. Alastair Stevenson got most of the credit but Jane's was a massive part in their success.

Dancehibs
03-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Excellent coach. Well regarded by many players. Sadly worked in the academy when place was a shambles.

Gaining great experience at City.

woukd be a great asset to have back at Hibs

J-C
03-12-2018, 05:09 PM
James did a lot of work when the 19's did the double years back. Alastair Stevenson got most of the credit but Jane's was a massive part in their success.

Yes James was an excellent coach, Stevenson was an ex headmaster was he not and did very little with the training. I think the biggest criticism about McDonaughs u19 team was they were technically very gifted but when it came to moving up to the 1st team, they were weak physically for the rigours of the step up. Stanton, Handling etc always looked like young laddies, hence why May was brought in to get them 1st team ready.

green day
03-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Yes James was an excellent coach, Stevenson was an ex headmaster was he not and did very little with the training. I think the biggest criticism about McDonaughs u19 team was they were technically very gifted but when it came to moving up to the 1st team, they were weak physically for the rigours of the step up. Stanton, Handling etc always looked like young ladies, hence why May was brought in to get them 1st team ready.

...........or laddies maybe? :greengrin:greengrin

J-C
03-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Haha bloody autocorrect, edited mow 😂

hibsbollah
03-12-2018, 05:26 PM
I have friends that were involved in the old City coaching set up before he arrived. The feedback is he's a bit arrogant and up himself, but the training has improved massively, and he's a perfectionist. And obviously the results speak for themselves. Sometimes you have to accept it when someone comes in and shakes the place up for the better.

TelaStella
03-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Seems a real prospect and it’s good to see his work at city is starting to command some notice. I remember Hamilton away in the play offs I was giving Cummings a right go (stupidly and completely unjustified on my part) and he was stood right in front of me alongside rob jones. Except from the big man obviously I had little idea who James actually was and fair play to him he gave me it right back. As we know jase went onto score twice that night and it’s fair to say shut me right up! Me and James shook hands after and it was all a good laugh at the end, would be nice to see him back at hibs one day in one capacity or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibeegranny
03-12-2018, 07:22 PM

Maybe matters more who his heroes are and have been all his life than who his mentors are now dont you think

hibeegranny
03-12-2018, 07:26 PM

Seem to remember stevenson and hanlon coming through that youth set up as well as cummings and another few
Before Mays time in accademy

macca70
03-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Obviously, the players are part time and have other jobs.

I think James’s pay is supported by grants as he is involved in all the youth coaching. Which probably helps the club pay him closer to a full time wage.

Players aren’t on much at all, although for long away trips up north etc they all have to be paid minimum wage from when they leave Edinburgh for full time that they are away. That can all add up to a hefty wage bill for a wee club.

Hi Heid Yin
03-12-2018, 07:35 PM
We have a fantastic manager in Neil Lennon - and one whom is supported by the overwhelming majority of posters going by the Poll
My focus is on him being given significant funds in the forthcoming January window from Leeann and co, as opposed to focusing on and talking-up a "potential new manager".

Winston Ingram
03-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Seem to remember stevenson and hanlon coming through that youth set up as well as cummings and another few
Before Mays time in accademy

It was James that convinced Cummings to come here.

ShetlandHibby
03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
I’m pally with one of the directors and he’s put a fair bit of cash into the club, by a lot I mean by league 2 standards

Simkin911
03-12-2018, 10:52 PM
He coached me earlier this year as part of my kids coaching qualifications (SFA children’s pathway). He came across really well in that environment and shared a good laugh with the attendees.

SirDavidsNapper
04-12-2018, 05:46 AM
We have a fantastic manager in Neil Lennon - and one whom is supported by the overwhelming majority of posters going by the Poll
My focus is on him being given significant funds in the forthcoming January window from Leeann and co, as opposed to focusing on and talking-up a "potential new manager".

380 votes on hibs.net doesn't mean much. Drop points tomorrow and it will be vastly different. Football fans are fickle. This post wasn't about replacing Lennon but he will move on at some point wheather it's now or in two years time. Post was about a young manager doing a great job at another club that we may want to keep on our radar.