PDA

View Full Version : NHC Mark Hughes sacked again. How do such managers keep getting work?

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Southampton the latest club to sack Hughes, who was ten matches without a win. But how do these repeat failures keep getting very highly paid jobs? In any other career, they would have to gain employment at a lower level; one where they can prove themselves capable. Is football dominated by 'the old school tie' mentality? Is it the case that ex professionals who were great players are always preferred to someone else, even though that isn't relevant? Time and again the same faces pop up at big clubs, despite multiple failures.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 09:20 AM
I remember after a tense game between Arsenal and City where Adebayor (at city) had stamped on Robin Van Persie. He wasn't sent off even though it was a clear red. Hughes said it wasn't and when Wenger was asked he said

"If you asked 100 people if it was a red card, 99 would say yes and the 100th would be Mark Hughes"

He's an arrogant tool, delighted to see him go.

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 09:22 AM
I remember after a tense game between Arsenal and City where Adebayor (at city) had stamped on Robin Van Persie. He wasn't sent off even though it was a clear red. Hughes said it wasn't and when Wenger was asked he said

"If you asked 100 people if it was a red card, 99 would say yes and the 100th would be Mark Hughes"

He's an arrogant tool, delighted to see him go.

He'll likely get a huge pay off and then turn up at another club in a couple of months. It's bizarre.

bingo70
03-12-2018, 09:24 AM
It’s the same with Paul Lambert, how he keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

I think it’s a case of knowing the right people.

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Seems that way. It's like the old boy network of getting jobs in the City or Foreign Office in the past, when it had nothing to do with ability but was dependent upon having attended the 'right' school and who your father had contacts with.

DarlingtonHibee
03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Allardyce, Hodgson, mclaren

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 09:41 AM
At least big Sam delivers what he promises: take a crap side, turns them long ball and keeps them up. Hodgson and McLaren definitely!

The 90+2
03-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Sanchez Flores for the gig. Or Big Sam.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Two of the front runners are Sam Allardyce and David Moyes - tells it all for me

For many at the bottom of that league it can become about survival. Southampton, at one point had a blue print and played nice football. Somewhere along the way that got lost and all that matters now is a quick win, and avoid relegation.

Just Jimmy
03-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Allardyce, Hodgson, mclarensuccessful at what he does. regardless of issues with style.

done well at Fulham including in europe and at palace so far. medium success at smaller clubs. flopped at Liverpool.

100% correct. absolute tool.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Pardew is another clown in this category.

J-C
03-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Definitely wouldn't have Hodgson on that list, has done decent job wherever hes been except Liverpool, has Palace playing some cracking football at times.

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Definitely wouldn't have Hodgson on that list, has done decent job wherever hes been except Liverpool, has Palace playing some cracking football at times.

Inter, Blackburn? And what about his England debacle?

DarlingtonHibee
03-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Iceland, say no more....

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Iceland, say no more....

That will be his epitaph. Shambles.

J-C
03-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Inter, Blackburn? And what about his England debacle?

I think you better re read the facts and stats regarding Hodgson and his managerial career.

The 90+2
03-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Two of the front runners are Sam Allardyce and David Moyes - tells it all for me

For many at the bottom of that league it can become about survival. Southampton, at one point had a blue print and played nice football. Somewhere along the way that got lost and all that matters now is a quick win, and avoid relegation.

Both are very good managers. Moyes gets an unfair reputation he done amazing at Preston and Everton.

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 10:49 AM
I think you better re read the facts and stats regarding Hodgson and his managerial career.

Mibees, but he has a number of abject failures on his CV. I'm sure Scouse Hibby has an opinion on his time at Liverpool also!

NAE NOOKIE
03-12-2018, 11:07 AM
This is why there's no need to feel sorry for managers who get the sack, or at least most of them. Imagine if you were a bricklayer going for a job interview for a bricklaying job where your answer to the question 'why did you leave your last job'? was I got the sack and it was the same for the three bricklaying jobs before that … an employer wouldn't touch you with a barge pole in the real world :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 11:10 AM
This is why there's no need to feel sorry for managers who get the sack, or at least most of them. Imagine if you were a bricklayer going for a job interview for a bricklaying job where your answer to the question 'why did you leave your last job'? was I got the sack and it was the same for the three bricklaying jobs before that … an employer wouldn't touch you with a barge pole in the real world :greengrin

They get paid a wee bit more tae!

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Hodgson is nothing like the others. Had a very impressive CV. He wasnt an abject failure at Inter. Done a decent job in a difficult time for the club. Well thought of at the club iirc.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Both are very good managers. Moyes gets an unfair reputation he done amazing at Preston and Everton.

I'm not knocking either, I'd have taken Moyes as Scotland manager.

Point I was making is about their style and how clubs like West Ham and Southampton are happy to drop their footballing philosophies for short term gains

matty_f
03-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Hughes is a dreadful manager, I have no idea how he keeps finding employment at that level.

Hiber-nation
03-12-2018, 11:35 AM
One of the strangest managerial appointments of all time. Doomed to failure.

GlesgaeHibby
03-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Agree it was a strange appointment. That said, I watched the game at the weekend and Southampton played pretty well for most of it, creating chances and scoring two very good goals. Bizarre timing given they got a good performance at the weekend.

hibsbollah
03-12-2018, 12:06 PM
He seems to be one of those people who makes enemies wherever he goes. Nobody seems to have a good word to say about his personality, although he was a fantastic footballer. So why does he get work??

heretoday
03-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Hughes will drop down a division and awaken some sleeping giant, get promoted and get sacked again. It's a job.
Meanwhile, step forward Big Sam or perhaps some younger manager who's unhappy in his current position.

Gloucester Hibs
03-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Agree Re: Hodgson. When he took over at Palace last season they were rock bottom, couldn’t buy a goal, and looked stick-on certainties for relegation. The turnaround he managed surely excludes him from such lists of “dud” managers

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Agree Re: Hodgson. When he took over at Palace last season they were rock bottom, couldn’t buy a goal, and looked stick-on certainties for relegation. The turnaround he managed surely excludes him from such lists of “dud” managers

It's a fair point re Palace: he did an amazing job to keep them up.

IGRIGI
03-12-2018, 02:37 PM
There does seem to be some sort of relegation mafia of managers that somehow keep getting hired by teams stranded at the bottom.

ScottB
03-12-2018, 03:25 PM
It’s daft, back when Southampton thought outside the box, they appointed Pochettino, and had great success, for them anyway.

Now they’ve degraded into the bizarre merrygoround of tired ‘jobs for the boys’ managers who seem to do nothing but speed up a club’s descent into the Championship.

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 03:27 PM
It’s daft, back when Southampton thought outside the box, they appointed Pochettino, and had great success, for them anyway.

Now they’ve degraded into the bizarre merrygoround of tired ‘jobs for the boys’ managers who seem to do nothing but speed up a club’s descent into the Championship.

Indeed. I wonder whether they'll turn to Pardew or another of the usual suspects this time.

Haymaker
03-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Indeed. I wonder whether they'll turn to Pardew or another of the usual suspects this time.

Pardew has been there and isn't well thought of on the south coast.

Famous Fiver
03-12-2018, 03:30 PM
There are round about 180 or so countries in FIFA membership so he could just do a Sven Goran Eriksson and make his way round them one by one.

Easy money for someone with his credentials.

The 90+2
03-12-2018, 03:32 PM
I'm not knocking either, I'd have taken Moyes as Scotland manager.

Point I was making is about their style and how clubs like West Ham and Southampton are happy to drop their footballing philosophies for short term gains

👍 Southampton have been in decline big time the last few seasons, I think their chairman died and they changed a lot of the policy.

The 90+2
03-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Pardew is an ********.

Hibernia&Alba
03-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Ah, well that's a bullet dodged. What's Jimmy Calderwood doing these days? :greengrin

Haymaker
03-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Pardew is an ********.

:agree: correct

jacomo
03-12-2018, 04:09 PM
He'll likely get a huge pay off and then turn up at another club in a couple of months. It's bizarre.

£6m apparently but I think his time is up. He’s had a 20 year career in management though.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 04:57 PM
👍 Southampton have been in decline big time the last few seasons, I think their chairman died and they changed a lot of the policy.Their owner died 8 years ago, before they were even in the Premier league. Is that what you mean?

Toldo123
03-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Ah, well that's a bullet dodged. What's Jimmy Calderwood doing these days? :greengrinHe has alzeimers I believe. Poor Jimmy :-(

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

BullsCloseHibs
03-12-2018, 08:47 PM

Absolutely. There's a cluster of them too. Allardyce is another one as is Steve McClaren, Pulis, Pardew etc. They must impress at interview!

bingo70
03-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Absolutely. There's a cluster of them too. Allardyce is another one as is Steve McClaren, Pulis, Pardew etc. They must impress at interview!

Allardyce isn’t one of them imo.

He’s done a good job wherever he’s been really. He’s just positioned himself as some sort of troubleshooter now so if a team is in danger of going down they’ll get him in to steadybthe ship before going for someone more exciting.

Fair play to him, he’s good at what he does.

Carheenlea
03-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Saw this posted on Twitter..

"It's estimated that Mark Hughes has been paid around £18m in compensation after being sacked by Manchester City, QPR, Stoke and Southampton. Not a bad return"

hibsbollah
03-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Their owner died 8 years ago, before they were even in the Premier league. Is that what you mean?

I imagine he knows that. It doesn't make him wrong. The owner dies, their long term planning goes awry, they stop producing all these quality youngsters and they eventually pay the price in the shape of being a poorer team.

BullsCloseHibs
03-12-2018, 08:54 PM

He’s done a good job wherever he’s been really. He’s just positioned himself as some sort of troubleshooter now so if a team is in danger of going down they’ll get him in to steadybthe ship before going for someone more exciting.

Fair play to him, he’s good at what he does.

Allardyce doesn't need to work anyway after his past tax shenanigans. Oops, sorry, I let that slip...

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 08:55 PM
I imagine he knows that. It doesn't make him wrong. The owner dies, their long term planning goes awry, they stop producing all these quality youngsters and they eventually pay the price in the shape of being a poorer team.Of course not, I was being genuine. I don't really know how much it affected them because they obviously achieved a lot after his death. You're probably right in that it affected long term planning.

Toldo123
03-12-2018, 08:56 PM

Fair play to him, he’s good at what he does.Never been relegated from premier league I believe

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
03-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Of course not, I was being genuine. I don't really know how much it affected them because they obviously achieved a lot after his death.

It's a fairly obvious causal factor. The downturn happened gradually not instantaneously, which is what you'd expect.

hibsbollah
03-12-2018, 09:03 PM

"It's estimated that Mark Hughes has been paid around £18m in compensation after being sacked by Manchester City, QPR, Stoke and Southampton. Not a bad return"

That is a bonkers stat. Insane.

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2018, 04:58 AM

18 million quid for failing at your job and being sacked multiple times. Watch them bring in someone like Steve Bruce from managerial merry-go-round.

MSK
04-12-2018, 05:40 AM
18 million quid for failing at your job and being sacked multiple times. Watch them bring in someone like Steve Bruce from managerial merry-go-round.****ing unbelievable, let out an accidental fart in public and the NHS fart police will have you in the office, laughing and joking or generaly having fun is a hanging offence. Im in the wrong job 😆

hibsbollah
04-12-2018, 08:51 AM
I liked the dig which said It shows how bad things have got at Man Utd when managers are getting sacked for only drawing with them :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
04-12-2018, 09:05 AM
I liked the dig which said It shows how bad things have got at Man Utd when managers are getting sacked for only drawing with them :greengrin

https://media.giphy.com/media/mSn1dtpb96X9C/giphy.gif