PDA

View Full Version : Team as soft as Sh***.

7heaven
02-12-2018, 07:13 PM
I remember when Neil Lennon took over he said that Hibs had a reputation for being soft.
He said that under his tenure that would no longer be the case.
Well I am afraid this team are far too soft.
Look at the Dundee game for the 1st. goal Boyle should have brought the Dundee player down leading up to the 1st. goal.
Hanlon has cost us 2 goals in the last 2 games with being too soft.
We need a lot more dig in our play.

SaulGoodman
02-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Ok

R'Albin
02-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Ok

:agree:

Weegreenman
02-12-2018, 07:49 PM
I remember when Neil Lennon took over he said that Hibs had a reputation for being soft.
He said that under his tenure that would no longer be the case.
Well I am afraid this team are far too soft.
Look at the Dundee game for the 1st. goal Boyle should have brought the Dundee player down leading up to the 1st. goal.
Hanlon has cost us 2 goals in the last 2 games with being too soft.
We need a lot more dig in our play.

Hanlon has been at fault for three goals in the last he last two games but your right, we are soft as *****.

MWHIBBIES
02-12-2018, 08:16 PM
I don't think Hanlon was even that bad for the first. There was absolutely no one in the middle covering. About 15 defenders playing and no one tracks the run. McGregor and Porteous for the 2nd.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Most teams have bad spells....u just get on with it and stop ****ing moaning

swin82
02-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Most teams have bad spells....u just get on with it and stop ****ing moaning

Agreed look at Man Utd for example

Lang Toun hibby
02-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Hanlon has been at fault for three goals in the last he last two games but your right, we are soft as *****.

Hanlon against Dundee was at fault for both goals and nearly a third! Against Killie what a poor effort to defend the cross coming in! This and in midfield is where we need to be smarter and shove/push/kick/barge/pull shirts/take players out etc !!!

Lancs Harp
02-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Hanlon against Dundee was at fault for both goals and nearly a third! Against Killie what a poor effort to defend the cross coming in! This and in midfield is where we need to be smarter and shove/push/kick/barge/pull shirts/take players out etc !!!

Dundees second goal was purely down to Milligan losing the ball in midfield (he did the very same thing a minute later). Hanlon wouldnt have had to get involved if Milligan hadnt lost the ball cheaply in the first place, but maybe Milligan is beyond criticism.

Lang Toun hibby
02-12-2018, 11:29 PM
Dundees second goal was purely down to Milligan losing the ball in midfield (he did the very same thing a minute later). Hanlon wouldnt have had to get involved if Milligan hadnt lost the ball cheaply in the first place, but maybe Milligan is beyond criticism.

I have no problem criticising Millgan he has been very poor the last two games. However no matter what happens in the build up I expect my defender to get close and not move out of the way like the parting of the red sea

EH54
03-12-2018, 12:12 AM
All down to character, was listening to carragher etc today and they mentioned arsenal how they've been a soft touch for years..but today they were right in spurs faces. For example when dier scored. They don't accept losing now. Mcginn done a lot of that last season. No one is doing it now.

Hermit Crab
03-12-2018, 12:53 AM
I don't think Hanlon was even that bad for the first. There was absolutely no one in the middle covering. About 15 defenders playing and no one tracks the run. McGregor and Porteous for the 2nd.

Hanlons attempt to clear the ball on Saturday for the first goal was shocking, he should have put it out for a corner instead of trying to play football in his own box. Wtf was he even doing on the right side of the box at that point?

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 06:24 AM
Hanlons attempt to clear the ball on Saturday for the first goal was shocking, he should have put it out for a corner instead of trying to play football in his own box. Wtf was he even doing on the right side of the box at that point?

Everyone else was totally missing, that's why. It wasn't shocking, don't talk rubbish. He could've done better but with 2 other central defenders and 2 defensive midfielders totally missing in the middle I find it hard to blame Hanlon for simply letting a cross in. Hibs got a few crosses/cutbacks in,they didn't automatically result in goals.

Paul Hanlon trying to play football gains us alot more than it costs us.

Hiber-nation
03-12-2018, 06:27 AM
Everyone else was totally missing, that's why. It wasn't shocking, don't talk rubbish. He could've done better but with 2 other central defenders and 2 defensive midfielders totally missing in the middle I find it hard to blame Hanlon for simply letting a cross in. Hibs got a few crosses/cutbacks in,they didn't automatically result in goals.

Paul Hanlon trying to play football gains us alot more than it costs us.

I was right in line with it - it was shocking defending and he knew it.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2018, 06:45 AM

I think because we are so lightweight in the middle of the park, the defenders are being drawn all over the place with midfielders and forwards finding so much space while un marked in our final third.

People are going way overboard about some of our players, this player is sheite and he's sheite, our problems start and finish with our midfield, and that needs sorting in January.

And in the meantime, Bartley needs to play just to make us harder to get through than we currently are.

Brooster
03-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Spot on. We are easy to play against. No tackling and no pressure on the ball. Hanlon is the biggest culprit, I wish he would just clatter someone.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Spot on. We are easy to play against. No tackling and no pressure on the ball. Hanlon is the biggest culprit, I wish he would just clatter someone.We put plenty of pressure on the ball and dive in all the time like idiots. McGregor especially. I'd prefer Hanlon defended well (like he generally does) along with the others.

hibbymick
03-12-2018, 07:27 AM
The first goal on Saturday was a shocker to lose. Poor defending from Hanlon.... and Milligan and Ambrose can clearly see the guy making the run and made no attempt to pick him up.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2018, 07:31 AM
“It has been proven that berating the team and telling them ‘how it is’ gets results. Always”.

Man-management made Simple - The former manager and now pundit T. Butcher

Smartie
03-12-2018, 07:31 AM
The defending was very poor, but Killie repeatedly managed to get into positions that forced us to make mistakes, positions we failed to get into at the other end.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 07:33 AM
I think because we are so lightweight in the middle of the park, the defenders are being drawn all over the place with midfielders and forwards finding so much space while un marked in our final third.

People are going way overboard about some of our players, this player is sheite and he's sheite, our problems start and finish with our midfield, and that needs sorting in January.

And in the meantime, Bartley needs to play just to make us harder to get through than we currently are.

First names on the team sheet for Wednesday should be SDG and Bartley

Unfortunately just a shame Bartley has gone down with a mystery injury just now at a time when we need him most to plug the gaps in midfield :confused:

Brooster
03-12-2018, 07:36 AM
We put plenty of pressure on the ball and dive in all the time like idiots. McGregor especially. I'd prefer Hanlon defended well (like he generally does) along with the others.

Diving in like idiots isn't putting pressure on the ball. Diving in like idiots makes it easy for opponents to get past you. Hibs don't press teams anywhere on the pitch which makes it easy for teams. Hanlon never lays a glove on opponents which makes him easy to play against. We are as soft as.....which is the point the OP is making.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Diving in like idiots isn't putting pressure on the ball. Diving in like idiots makes it easy for opponents to get past you. Hibs don't press teams anywhere on the pitch which makes it easy for teams. Hanlon never lays a glove on opponents which makes him easy to play against. We are as soft as.....which is the point the OP is making.
I really don't care what point the op is making. Hanlon isn't easy to play against, he's a brilliant defender who has had 2 poor games. The best defenders in the world aren't the ones smashing opponents, they are the ones who read the game well, anticipate play and recover the ball without touching the opponent.

Defending properly is what we're missing, this "soft as ****" patter reminds me of Terry butcher. As if being hard makes you a good side.

Brooster
03-12-2018, 07:46 AM
I really don't care what point the op is making. Hanlon isn't easy to play against, he's a brilliant defender who has had 2 poor games. The best defenders in the world aren't the ones smashing opponents, they are the ones who read the game well, anticipate play and recover the ball without touching the opponent.

Defending properly is what we're missing, this "soft as ****" patter reminds me of Terry butcher. As if being hard makes you a good side.

I'm glad your not our defensive coach given your recent comments about our defenders. Opponents rub their hands when up against Hanlon as they know they won't get touched, Dundee and Killie strikers in the last week for example. We need to toughen up.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm glad your not our defensive coach given your recent comments about our defenders. Opponents rub their hands when up against Hanlon as they know they won't get touched, Dundee and Killie strikers in the last week for example. We need to toughen up.

What recent comments? Defenders don't rub their hands against Hanlon because he wins far more battles than he loses.

He's had 2 poor games but was in brilliant form before that. We don't need to toughen up, we need to play and defend better.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Hanlon needs a run in the wee team to get his mojo back imho!

07BigD
03-12-2018, 09:29 AM
There is a severe lack of confidence just now, yes Hanlon hasn't covered himself in glory recently but he'll get back to it.

The current situation of constantly chopping and changing the defence is more than likely the reason we are so poor at the back just now, nobody is getting a run in the same shape week in week out.

You can also ask questions of recruitment in the problem right back area, no one signed as cover at the start of the season for the continually injured David Gray and Harry nowhere to be seen seen thus far.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Weegreenman
03-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Disagree strongly. Hanlon was absolutely awful for the first goal. How you can say he wasn’t that bad is beyond me. Beaten far too easily. McGregor didn’t cover himself in glory either. The players really need to up their game or we will be in real trouble very soon.

Brooster
03-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Disagree strongly. Hanlon was absolutely awful for the first goal. How you can say he wasn’t that bad is beyond me. Beaten far too easily. McGregor didn’t cover himself in glory either. The players really need to up their game or we will be in real trouble very soon.

He has to be at the wind up. His take on things are so far removed from anyone else's each week that he has to be on the wind.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 11:15 AM

Right but it's not like the guy who beat Hanlon scored. There is still a cutback to defended.

Hanlon got blamed last week for not defending the ball in the middle and this week for not stop the cross. In reality, it's both the man who let the cross in and the man in the middle. He isn't solely to blame for either.

McGregor diving in when we're already 1-0 down is much worse.

Hiber-nation
03-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Right but it's not like the guy who beat Hanlon scored. There is still a cutback to defended.

Hanlon got blamed last week for not defending the ball in the middle and this week for not stop the cross. In reality, it's both the man who let the cross in and the man in the middle. He isn't solely to blame for either.

McGregor diving in when we're already 1-0 down is much worse.

Nah, he is being blamed because the errors he made played a far bigger part in the goals then the other players' errors. Have another look at the goals and look at his reaction. He knew he was culpable.

I'm normally a huge fan and I thought that most of our problems would be solved with Hanlon back in the team. He maybe needs more time to get up to speed but it's just not good enough.

Ozyhibby
03-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Has any one of Hyndman, Mallan, Horgan, Agyepong make a single tackle all season? Milligan looks like he could make one if he could catch anyone.
That’s the problem there.
The defence are being exposed because teams are just walking through our midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Has any one of Hyndman, Mallan, Horgan, Agyepong make a single tackle all season? Milligan looks like he could make one if he could catch anyone.
The defence are being exposed because teams are just walking through our midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYes

eastcoasthibby
03-12-2018, 05:38 PM

Your right Hanlon should have stuck it out for a throw in. On the right cos firstly Porteous had completely got caught out and Daz was struggling to get back to the runner. For the 2nd Porteous was wandering and over committed himself one way ..
Ryan needs to settle down again and keep it strong and simple, and yes he should expect his much more experienced peers to do their part much better than they were.
Its basic defending about showing players the way you want them to go, thats not what most of our players have been doing, its so naive.

Blaster
04-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Our midfield don’t get enough ‘proper’ bookings. Mcginn was most fouled player but also our most booked player as he could read the danger. Replacing Mcginn’s quality is difficult but not the awareness of knowing when to take one for the team

Stuart93
04-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Agree with this to an extent. Seems like teams are getting up to and around our box far too easily without any challenge. Dundee waltzed through ya for their first goal last Saturday and nobody got near them.

Smartie
04-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Our midfield don’t get enough ‘proper’ bookings. Mcginn was most fouled player but also our most booked player as he could read the danger. Replacing Mcginn’s quality is difficult but not the awareness of knowing when to take one for the team

It was easy to criticise Hanlon's weak effort for the goal, McGregor's attempt at the penalty and Milligan's attempts when he was torn to pieces by Stewart, but it's a long time since teams have had us on the back foot in dangerous situations as Killie did on Saturday.

That is, imo, a midfield issue and part of it is a reluctance to put a tackle in, and like you say sometimes an illegal one.

Ozyhibby
04-12-2018, 11:00 AM
It was easy to criticise Hanlon's weak effort for the goal, McGregor's attempt at the penalty and Milligan's attempts when he was torn to pieces by Stewart, but it's a long time since teams have had us on the back foot in dangerous situations as Killie did on Saturday.

That is, imo, a midfield issue and part of it is a reluctance to put a tackle in, and like you say sometimes an illegal one.

100% correct. This is a massive midfield problem.

jimmyboco#1
06-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Very evident again last night just how soft we are as a team. Next to no real fight or desire at all from anyone, apart from maybe Porteous. Big changes needed in January as on recent evidence teams like Rangers, Hearts and Celtic will walk all over us, and we've got them all to play soon. I know we usually up our game for the so called 'bigger games', but I'm not sure if we're capable of doing that the way we are playing right now. Worrying times.

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Very evident again last night just how soft we are as a team. Next to no real fight or desire at all from anyone, apart from maybe Porteous. Big changes needed in January as on recent evidence teams like Rangers, Hearts and Celtic will walk all over us, and we've got them all to play soon. I know we usually up our game for the so called 'bigger games', but I'm not sure if we're capable of doing that the way we are playing right now. Worrying times.

No fight? We had plenty of fight, we just aren't very good. St Mirren scored 2 freak goals and otherwise we were all over them. It's quality we were lacking, not fight.

jimmyboco#1
06-12-2018, 09:54 AM
No fight? We had plenty of fight, we just aren't very good. St Mirren scored 2 freak goals and otherwise we were all over them. It's quality we were lacking, not fight.

Yeah, there was a lot of desire and fight to win the header at their second goal... Get real.

Smartie
06-12-2018, 10:03 AM
You're both right.

Over 90 minutes there was no shortage of fight or dig but we have a habit of switching off and in brief glimpses don't show enough dig. We did it a few times on Saturday as well.

MWHIBBIES
06-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Yeah, there was a lot of desire and fight to win the header at their second goal... Get real.

I am ****ing real mate. Because we lost a goal from a header we have no fight? We lost goals from headers in both the 2007 and 2016 cup wins. Did those teams lack fight? **** example. Try again.

jimmyboco#1
06-12-2018, 10:22 AM
I am ****ing real mate. Because we lost a goal from a header we have no fight? We lost goals from headers in both the 2007 and 2016 cup wins. Did those teams lack fight? **** example. Try again.

We're a soft touch. Teams relish playing against us, because they know their not gonna be in for a battle, which a lot of scottish premier games can turn into. Until we get the right blend of players who are willing to battle (and actually win their individual battles on the park) and some more genuine quality to play good football, I fear we are in for a lot more poor results. It's not a S*** example, and I'm not talking about 2007 or 2016, I'm talking about last nights game and this team/season in general. The way Slivka and Ambrose jumped to win the header for their second goal was laughable, like a couple of fairies. I don't think anyone can argue with that!!