PDA

View Full Version : Uefa announce new 32-team European club competition

HH81
02-12-2018, 08:03 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on this?

A new 32-team European club competition will be launched in 2021, governing body UEFA has announced.

The new-look Europa League II opens the door for another Premier League club to get into Europe.

They will run the new competition from 2021 and one English team will be offered a place with the eventual winners getting a place in the Europa League the following season.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin said: “The new UEFA club competition makes UEFA’s club competitions more inclusive than ever before.

“There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages. This competition was borne out of ongoing dialogue with clubs through the European Club Association.”

Full story here - https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-uefa-announce-new-32-13678850

Bishop Hibee
02-12-2018, 08:10 PM
We should join the European Club Association. Good chance we’ll get left behind if we don’t. Celtic and Aberdeen are Ordinary Members and Hearts, Motherwell and Rangers are Associate Members.

danhibees1875
02-12-2018, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure my thoughts. I think it's a positive move for teams like Hibs who should (in theory anyway) be competing for the European spots. I imagine it'll get even less attention and therefore money than the champions league (obviously) and Europa though - some teams already don't make enough in prize money to cover their costs for the Europa.

Michael
02-12-2018, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure my thoughts. I think it's a positive move for teams like Hibs who should (in theory anyway) be competing for the European spots. I imagine it'll get even less attention and therefore money than the champions league (obviously) and Europa though - some teams already don't make enough in prize money to cover their costs for the Europa.

You get 200K per qualifying round in Europa. Easily enough to cover costs.

Probably be a struggle in this new comp though.

overdrive
02-12-2018, 09:20 PM
You get 200K per qualifying round in Europa. Easily enough to cover costs.

Probably be a struggle in this new comp though.

St Johnstone blamed an annual loss on being in Europe a few seasons ago.

Michael
02-12-2018, 09:24 PM
St Johnstone blamed an annual loss on being in Europe a few seasons ago.

Maybe the money was different then. Says they spent 110k on travel.

TelaStella
02-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Just screams the intertoto cup from a few years ago doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

number9dream
02-12-2018, 10:04 PM
They should call it Europa League Z, which is how I initially read it...

Green Man
02-12-2018, 10:08 PM
If I’m reading the rules correctly, it’s only the top 15 associations that can qualify for the Europa League now, with teams from the lower ranked leagues going into the new UEL2.

Diclonius
02-12-2018, 10:30 PM
I like it. It means we could actually win something.

Famous Fiver
03-12-2018, 05:35 PM
There's no way we would make a loss if we qualify for this new competition.

15,000 for a home game at £20 a head will cover costs to almost all European destinations.

12,000 will make the thick end of quarter of a mill.

St Johnstone regularly get two men and a dug. The dug probably got a lift over.

Sammy7nil
03-12-2018, 07:50 PM
There's no way we would make a loss if we qualify for this new competition.

15,000 for a home game at £20 a head will cover costs to almost all European destinations.

12,000 will make the thick end of quarter of a mill.

St Johnstone regularly get two men and a dug. The dug probably got a lift over.

You won't get 15,000 or 12,000 for this comp remember our crowd against the Faroes team this year. That was a novelty it won't be if we play in this regularl u if we charge a flat rate tenner you might get 12,000 imho of course. I remember Rangers played in front of 3,000 in the inter toto.

HibbyDave
03-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Beggars can’t be choosers. We haven’t been good enough to regularly qualify for Europa League so this needs to be our level till we get better.

The_Exile
03-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Does this mean that as things stand, no Scottish teams would be eligible for the Europa League due to our current coefficient? So qualifiying for Europe now means absolutely no chance of drawing a good sized team? Seems like a bit of a downgrade really. I'm not sure I see the appeal.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Would be better getting the Cup Winners Cup back and have a proper draw rather weighted seeding.

Austinho
04-12-2018, 05:50 AM
So Scotland may have two teams in the knockout phase for the EL this year, but soon won’t be able to qualify for it at all? Seems a bit of a backwards step.

Green Man
04-12-2018, 11:07 AM
So Scotland may have two teams in the knockout phase for the EL this year, but soon won’t be able to qualify for it at all? Seems a bit of a backwards step.

Yep. Unless we get our country coefficient up, and you can bet the new competition won’t offer as many ranking points as the existing ones, thus making it harder to move up.

Nutmegged
04-12-2018, 03:26 PM
I like this idea of this new tournament, as it stands every Scottish club outwith the Champions will only be eligible for EL2.

While it doesn't exactly scream glamour ties I think it would offer Scottish clubs realistic chance of winning against clubs on our level and with the coeffient system we'll climb that rankomg table if we can compete consistently in EL2.

It's a kick in the nuts for National Champions though outwith the big boys, Scotland's Champions would need to play 5 quakifiers but would drop into the next stage of EL1 if they fail, as it stands right now the only way we'll have a team in EL1 would be if our Champs were eliminated from the Champions League.

There's no automatic entries for clubs in the top 15 ranking and UEFA have guaranteed that 34 Associations will be represented in the groups (26 currently)

Nations currently below the top 15 are Scotland, Czech Republic, Serbia, Sweden, Norway, Romania, Poland etc... some well established footballing Nations with some famous football clubs, it's hardly the graveyard it's made out to be, particularly for a club like ours who IMO would absolutely relish group stage football

surreyhibbie
04-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Would be better getting the Cup Winners Cup back and have a proper draw rather weighted seeding.

this

:agree: