PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else not pay attention to anyone but Hibs?

Glory Lurker
02-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Watching the League Cup Final, and having watched the Hearts game earlier, it's struck me just how little I know about other teams. Loads of players across all four teams I've not heard of and names I recognise but couldn't tell you what position they play, or if they are any good or not.

I've had a wee think about the other seven non-Hibs teams. There are some that I can barely name any players, and a few that I don't think I know who the manager is!

I think it must be down to not reading newspapers anymore, and I get my Hibs highlights online so don't watch Sportscene much.

Anyone else?

lord bunberry
02-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Watching the League Cup Final, and having watched the Hearts game earlier, it's struck me just how little I know about other teams. Loads of players across all four teams I've not heard of and names I recognise but couldn't tell you what position they play, or if they are any good or not.

I've had a wee think about the other seven non-Hibs teams. There are some that I can barely name any players, and a few that I don't think I know who the manager is!

I think it must be down to not reading newspapers anymore, and I get my Hibs highlights online so don't watch Sportscene much.

Anyone else?
That would describe me as well. I didn’t even know the cup final was on till I changed the channel at half time.

Bangkok Hibby
02-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Anyone else?

Yes I'm the same, when I was a laddie I could rattle off the names of players in loads of teams, especially the Old Firm and Hearts. Also most of the bigger teams in the old English first division. Not a chance now though. Players are in and out so quickly I can't keep up and to be honest I don't care

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2018, 04:03 PM
I dont think you are on your own here, i'm exactly the same. I dont even know all of the Hearts players names, christ i even forget some of ours. :greengrin

I dont take as much time these days to watch as much football as i used to, and if honest i dont think im as interested in football like i used to be years ago.

rotherhamrob
02-12-2018, 04:10 PM
The only football I watch is Scottish football and even though I live down here I haven't even watched match of the day for at least 6 years. I've not even seen a champions league game in the same time.
If it's not hibs or Scottish I just can't get into it at all.

Here’s Lucy!
02-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Definitely.

When younger I could name virtually all the top English teams players, in numerical order, and the same for Hibs (obviously), Hearts, Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. Also, the big European teams and International line-ups.

Nowadays though? :dunno:

Weegreenman
02-12-2018, 04:15 PM
I dont think you are on your own here, i'm exactly the same. I dont even know all of the Hearts players names, christ i even forget some of ours. :greengrin

I dont take as much time these days to watch as much football as i used to, and if honest i dont think im as interested in football like i used to be years ago.

TBF I don’t think most Hearts fans know some of their players names. They’ve had a complete clear out almost, maybe that’s something we should try every few seasons. It feels like we’ve had the same defenders for years. Right through relegation and cup finals. Hanlon, Stevenson and McGregor being the main stays. Getting back to your point though, I know the main players in most of the teams but there are times I’m like, who the hell is he!

NAE NOOKIE
02-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Yes I'm the same, when I was a laddie I could rattle off the names of players in loads of teams, especially the Old Firm and Hearts. Also most of the bigger teams in the old English first division. Not a chance now though. Players are in and out so quickly I can't keep up and to be honest I don't care

Without doubt that is a big part of the problem … in years gone by teams tended to have a core of players who were around for a good few seasons … but look at Hibs on Saturday, of the team which kicked off our first game back in the premiership against Partick Thistle only 4 started on Saturday. Of the 18 man squad which won the cup only 6 are still on the club's books.

As soon as a player makes a mark at any club he is gone … even Shankland who is setting the heather alight at Ayr Utd will be a benchwarmer at some pish EFL no marks in a few months time.

Its not so much that we don't know the vast majority of players at other clubs, the truth is that nowadays you don't get a chance to notice them and when you do they are gone.

scotia44
02-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Tend not to watch fitba unless it's hibs no interest to watch anything else for a whole game anyway. Once I know results I watch ssn for the goals nae sportscene or motd used to be obsessed with it as a youngster weird how the passion goes for it

seanoheimhin
02-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Anyone else?

If you’re not interested then by all means fair enough. I know some people (Old firm fans) who feel the same and wear it as a badge of pride, though.

I’m a hibs fan first, and a football fan second. I enjoy watching football. I appreciate good players irrespective of the teams they play for, and dislike *****bag players irrespective of the team they play for.

Our experience down in the championship taught me that there’s a lot of enjoyment to be taken from football at all levels, so I’d hate to just ignore everyone else merely because I’m a hibs fan.

In short, its not a zero-sum game!

Carheenlea
02-12-2018, 04:33 PM
I’ve never known less about football than I do right now. Keep an eye on the Hearts scores what with them being our city rivals and what not, but couldn’t tell you more than 4 or 5 players who play for them. Followed the link for the Cup Final on YouTube that someone posted earlier but lasted a couple of minutes before realising I had no interest in it. Totally obsessed with Hibs though.

LancsHibs
02-12-2018, 04:43 PM
I’ve never known less about football than I do right now. Keep an eye on the Hearts scores what with them being our city rivals and what not, but couldn’t tell you more than 4 or 5 players who play for them. Followed the link for the Cup Final on YouTube that someone posted earlier but lasted a couple of minutes before realising I had no interest in it. Totally obsessed with Hibs though.

Pretty much sums me up as well, know absolutely nothing about any other clubs or players, only ever watch Hibs. Do follow results & tables but never watch anything else.

Scorrie
02-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Pretty much sums me up as well, know absolutely nothing about any other clubs or players, only ever watch Hibs. Do follow results & tables but never watch anything else.

And me. If we ever went down the route of clubs having their own tv rights for live games then a subscription to Hibs TV would be all I would need to be honest - no need for BT or Sky

G B Young
02-12-2018, 05:32 PM

As I've got older I've become less and less interested. Football is overrated, overhyped and commands way too much air time.

Hibs, though, are about more than football. They're a part of who you are. If it wasn't for them I could easily never watch football again.

emerald green
02-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Hearts shipped in practically a brand new squad of around 18 players in the summer. I had never heard of most of them, and still couldn't tell you the names of the majority of Hearts players apart from Naismith and Berra.

Scottie
02-12-2018, 05:48 PM
For me Far to much football on the tele if you subscribe to the usual platforms so for me I can take it or leave it nowadays or less its the cabbage

Hi Heid Yin
02-12-2018, 06:06 PM
When I was a teenager I would diligently read and re-read all the Sunday papers football write ups - cross referencing teams, line ups, scorers, crowds until I knew who played for who and not just Hibs.
I lived and breathed for 3pm Saturday afternoons and for the Sunday morning read.

Today, I merely go online to read about Hibs, and only know of a few Hearts players, a couple of The Rangers and Celtic and maybe, just maybe an Aberdeen player.

Lago
02-12-2018, 06:16 PM

I am the same, older I get less interested I am in football, even, whisper it, Hibs just a passing of time thing I think.

Eyrie
02-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Like most others on here I've gone from being obsessed by football as a teenager to only watching Hibs as a grumpy middle aged man.

I saw the results from today's two games but didn't watch either as there is always something more interesting to do.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Thought I did but just realised I was that disappointed I have not even watched the goals or the Highlights on HIBS TV from the Killie game will watch it on Sportscene Catch up to get Mickey Stewart’s take on it

I must admit I do keep an eye on our rivals taking the view keep your friends close and your enemies even closer though I have to agree with the poster that said impossible to keep up with Hearts ever changing squad

I follow English football on Sky and BT Sports which is mostly full of foreign superstars and must admit I had never heard of half of England’s World Cup squad.

PatHead
02-12-2018, 09:57 PM
Thought I did but just realised I was that disappointed I have not even watched the goals or the Highlights on HIBS TV from the Killie game will watch it on Sportscene Catch up to get Mickey Stewart’s take on it

I must admit I do keep an eye on our rivals taking the view keep your friends close and your enemies even closer though I have to agree with the poster that said impossible to keep up with Hearts ever changing squad

I follow English football on Sky and BT Sports which is mostly full of foreign superstars and must admit I had never heard of half of England’s World Cup squad.

Michael Stewart was not on Sportscene this week. James McFadden was in his place.

heretoday
02-12-2018, 10:07 PM
I watch Hibs and the English Prem. Also the Champions League in its final stages and that's it.

I used to know the players of all the old First Division teams in Scotland. Every club had one or two memorable characters.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Michael Stewart was not on Sportscene this week. James McFadden was in his place.
HIBS TV then Mickey Stewart pish anyway :greengrin

Then again heard Potters post match interview worth a laugh

Lancs Harp
02-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Football junkie, watch as much football as I can. Been addicted since the day I was born.

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 10:13 PM

Anyone else?

Completely forgot about it. Who won?

Lancs Harp
02-12-2018, 10:15 PM

Hibs 5-0, should have been there it was epic.:wink:

Hi Heid Yin
02-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Hibs 5-0, should have been there it was epic.:wink:

:tee hee::tee hee::tee hee:

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 10:20 PM

Aberdeen playing their usual anti football played for penalties from kick off

Back fired as they lost 1-0 their goalie still managed to save a penalty from six yards though decided they needed a goal so pushed their centre half up for the last five minutes :confused:

Got what they deserved Brussel Sprout!

Postscript:

GMS got a bad head knock carried off hope he ok

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 10:24 PM

Back fired as they lost 1-0 their goalie still managed to save a penalty a penalty from six yards though decided they needed a goal so pushed their centre half up for the last five minutes :confused:

Postscript

Sounds entirely unsurprising and pretty ideal TBH. Pitchforks and torches out for McInnes all over the Aberdeen fan sites no doubt...

Scotty Leither
02-12-2018, 10:26 PM

Back fired as they lost 1-0 their goalie still managed to save a penalty from six yards though decided they needed a goal so pushed their centre half up for the last five minutes :confused:

Postscript:

Thought they made more of an open game of it than usual, Billy - shows the value of scoring the first goal against them though, changes their game plan markedly.

Must say I liked the look of their young lad at left-back, Lowe, that they've got on loan from West Brom...very athketic, bombs forward and used the ball well.

Dare I say the kind of player we lack at the moment?

Forza Fred
03-12-2018, 06:40 AM
I get up or stay up until 2am every week to either watch Hibs, or listen to Hibs.

I wouldn’t do that for any other team

Take a passing interest in the lower leagues in England and the A League as I have a regular weekly wager, but see that as purely business.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Thought they made more of an open game of it than usual, Billy - shows the value of scoring the first goal against them though, changes their game plan markedly.

Must say I liked the look of their young lad at left-back, Lowe, that they've got on loan from West Brom...very athketic, bombs forward and used the ball well.

Dare I say the kind of player we lack at the moment?

Agree their hand was forced by losing GMS and then an unlucky goal before halftime but still felt they never really went for it until say the last ten when they threw Considine forward but never really looked like scoring indeed as they committed forward Celtic should have picked them off a couple of times

Liked the look of Lowe and Maclennon when he came on

MacInnes got what he deserved with his boring anti football but surprisingly found myself hoping they would get an equaliser :confused:

heid the baw
03-12-2018, 07:19 AM
I will watch select games from EPL, serie A, Bundesliga, la Liga and Champions league. Also read a lot about world football and enjoy well written sport journalism. Rarely watch scottish football and we have few honest or skilled journalists worth reading. Hibs will always be my team, but my interest in the game does not lie in Scotland.

hibbymick
03-12-2018, 07:33 AM

Too many pints in Churchills does that to you.😆

Mango Man
03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Over the last couple of years I've just mainly been watching Scottish football and think I have an ok bit of knowledge on most teams in the top league, EPL and champions League do nothing for me, if I had the choice of watching the Manchester derby or the Dundee derby, it would be the latter every time.