PDA

View Full Version : True Detective

Hibbyradge
02-12-2018, 03:20 PM
What a brilliant drama!

I've just finished series one and I'm blown away with how good it was.

Woody Harleson and Matthew McConaughey are outstanding and the story is compelling right to the end.

This is up there with The Sopranos.

SRHibs
02-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Yeah it’s really good. Unfortunately you should be prepared to be disappointed by the 2nd season.

You seen Mindhunter? It’s also fantastic.

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2018, 05:29 PM
What a brilliant drama!

Woody Harleson and Matthew McConaughey are outstanding and the story is compelling right to the end.

Series one is utterly fantastic and the way the story unfolds is gripping. I think when I first saw it it wasn't on catch-up so I had to wait for each episode!

Regards the comment about series two, when I originally saw it I felt a bit underwhelmed after seeing series one. I've just rewatched it however (my partner had never seen either series) and series two is better than I remembered

Just as the first series brought perhaps unexpectedly deep performances from Harrelson and McConaughey, so does series two from Colin Farrell.

hibsbollah
02-12-2018, 05:33 PM
What a brilliant drama!

It's fantastic, fantastic dark and twisted TV. Series two was just as good, in my opinion.

Lemonade
02-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Cheers for this.
I shall start watching tonight :thumbsup:

MagicSwirlingShip
08-12-2018, 08:14 AM
Aye, mentioned this is in TV thread the other week, absolutely class TV

Hibbyradge
08-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Cheers for this.
I shall start watching tonight :thumbsup:

Have you started watching it?

If so, what do you think?

Lemonade
11-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Have you started watching it?

If so, what do you think?

Ive not.
i should have remembered to run it past the wife first :rolleyes:

"We" can watch it after the current season of Hells Kitchen :greengrin

I fancy it though. I really like both Actors.

Tyler Durden
11-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Season 3 starting mid January starring Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff. Think it’s set in the 60s

I couldn’t get into season 2, hopefully this one is a return to form.

Hibbyradge
12-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Season 3 starting mid January starring Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff. Think it’s set in the 60s

I couldn’t get into season 2, hopefully this one is a return to form.

I finished season 2 last night.

I thought the general story was fine, but Vince Vaughan's acting was woeful. Same applies to his on screen wife.

SRHibs
12-12-2018, 09:50 AM
I finished season 2 last night.

I thought the general story was fine, but Vince Vaughan's acting was woeful. Same applies to his on screen wife.

Vince Vaughan's monologue at the beginning of the episode 2 was one of the most painful 6 minutes of television I've ever witnessed. It was almost parodically bad.

Tyler Durden
16-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Finished season 3 the other day. The 2 leads were really phenomenal, was surprised by Stephen Dorff as it’s been so long since I’ve seen him in anything.

But the story was a bit underwhelming for me and the structure was so clearly reverting to the season 1 approach. It was just ok without ever really blowing you away?

Anyway great acting (a cameo from Michael Rooker is always welcome) but a story that never hit the heights of season 1.

Hibbyradge
16-03-2019, 08:38 AM
Finished season 3 the other day. The 2 leads were really phenomenal, was surprised by Stephen Dorff as it’s been so long since I’ve seen him in anything.

But the story was a bit underwhelming for me and the structure was so clearly reverting to the season 1 approach. It was just ok without ever really blowing you away?

Anyway great acting (a cameo from Michael Rooker is always welcome) but a story that never hit the heights of season 1.

I agree.

It kept me interested, but it didn't have the tension or drama of the first.