PDA

View Full Version : What really happened in the summer with recruitment ?

eastcoasthibby
02-12-2018, 08:58 AM
I realise obviously that we can't turn the clock back but I just can't get it out of my head that what we have witnessed is all down to what happened or didn't happen during the summer regarding recruitment.
1) LD announces biggest ever playing budget, setting expectations soaring.
2) The Board, recruitment and NL know we are definitely loosing Dylan and SJM for months if not January and that Scott Allan isn't ours. So have more than enough time to identify the preferred option replacements in order of priority and of course reality.
3)Kamberi and Mallan business done pretty quickly further raising expectations.
4) The signings slow and the SJM shambles begins, and its of information coming out that we are missing out on preferred targets, even though biggest budget is supported by record ST sales.
5) Saga continues with SJM and new one begins with McLaren signing.
Surprise signing off Bogdan good news, Horgan as well comes in, in the midst we begin the challenge of the Europa adventure which we have known about for a couple of months (doing very well )with half a squad.
6) Its at this point that the warning signs start, we are obviously struggling to get signings in and it feels like we are getting desperate to get players in, taking players that appear not to be what we need or of the quality expected.
7) We sign 2 players that take between a month and 2 months to get.international clearance in Milligan and Agyepong, McLaren eventually signs and the probleeu of unfit, not up to speed presents itself.
8)Finally, we have the last minute dealings of SJM going for whats unofficially a lesser amount than being held out for by the Board and reported last minute attempts to get.Scott Allan back in, but again failure to get our first chpice signing.

I have undoubtedly missed a few things but the point being made is that when you loook at some.of what we.know about that went on its not very positive at all and there are a lot questions to be asked and answered across the whole summer in all areas of the club. The Boar its direction/strategy- supporting progression, and when they release money ie not releasing any til we get it in ie for SJM(too late then). Recruitment - player type and quality, ready to go not held with work permit issues, injury prone, not played for months. Manager/board relationship what he wants and they allow. Fitness and coaching, why does it take so long for us to get players up to match fitness and why do we appear to be picking up.so many injuries, outwith matches, if we have apparently invested heavily to put quality into this part of the playing budget.
The majority of fans knew way before deadline day that we had glaring gaps in the squad which hadnt been sorted over the summer and as the season has progressed, it has become blatantly obvious that we are well short of where we expected and wanted to be as fans given our commitment. I am just wondering if this is part of where NL is part now, frustrated that he, like us has been let down by what went on in the summer, in every sense. It doesnt take away his responsibilities as a manager to work with what he has got and present a positivity as a manager and leader.
I just think the focus and responsibility is all on NL and think that what we have seen this season rests much wider than that.
I havent gone near the players, taking wages, to get and be fit, to give their all during every 90+minutes, be mentally ready and respect the privilege they have of earning a good living from this great game and at our club
Like so many a very frustrated and disappointed fan at.this time.

Col2
02-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Kamberi and Maclaren were stick on almost guaranteed quality signings. Through injury and loss of form they have been disappointing.

Mallen has generally been good (goals and set plays), Horgan shows flashes of skill but not consistent however Hyndman has been huge disappointment.

It’s really simple for me. We needed to invest heavily in midfield given departures and we didn’t. Yes it was impossible to replace but are we really saying we couldn’t have got Kamara and Allan instead of Hyndman and Horgan if we had pushed the boat out.

Injuries, loss of form and ridiculous team selections had brought chickens home.

SChibs
02-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Kamberi and Maclaren were stick on almost guaranteed quality signings. Through injury and loss of form they have been disappointing.

Mallen has generally been good (goals and set plays), Horgan shows flashes of skill but not consistent however Hyndman has been huge disappointment.

It’s really simple for me. We needed to invest heavily in midfield given departures and we didn’t. Yes it was impossible to replace but are we really saying we couldn’t have got Kamara and Allan instead of Hyndman and Horgan if we had pushed the boat out.

Injuries, loss of form and ridiculous team selections had brought chickens home.

I'm not saying Hyndman is amazing or the answer to our problems but I'm sure the last time he playing was Hamilton and we haven't won since. Imo he finds bits of space and can link the midfield to attack.

Smartie
02-12-2018, 09:17 AM
I think we held onto unrealistic hope of keeping Dylan and SJM for too long - remember SJM started the season for us, and started very well.

Selling SJM for decent cash at a late stage meant that our true budget and what we had to do with it were finalised late.

I'm content that all of the players signed are of a good enough standard, but glaring squad deficiencies (lack of a mobile midfielder and lack of striking options) mean that we haven't seen the best of our signings. I think Lennon might have expected Slivka to step up a bit more than he has done as well.

Because of the glaring deficiencies, Lennon has had to try to be creative in covering for them, with little success so far.

We're not far away from being a good side, but imo we do need to make at least 2 very solid signings in January.

The deficiencies have been so poor that players who were let go through seemingly not being good enough (Fyvie, Stanton, Graham, Murray) would probably have played a reasonable amount and made a difference if they'd still been here.

cleanyman
02-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Pinning all our hopes on Mallan who is not good enough to play at the centre of our midfield

Beefster
02-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I really wish folk would stop claiming Dempster said we had the biggest ‘playing’ budget ever.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:37 AM
I really wish folk would stop claiming Dempster said we had the biggest ‘playing’ budget ever.

I really wish she would clarify the comment when it’s evident recruitment and money spent has been piss poor after losing our two best players.

ShetlandHibby
02-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Mallan, shooting aside, is not good enough at the level. Yes his free kicks are awesome but his general play isn’t top six spl standard.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Mallan, shooting aside, is not good enough at the level. Yes his free kicks are awesome but his general play isn’t top six spl standard.

Mallan will come good played consistently in a position that suits him, I’ve no doubt about that. He’s going through a sticky patch but the potential is there.

Ozyhibby
02-12-2018, 09:47 AM
And Milligan looks too slow, took to long to get signed and is away for internationals including the month long Asian cup. Did any research go into that signing at all or was he all that was left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanyman
02-12-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm guessing we all saw Milligan getting roasted yesterday ?

It was comical stuff. He gave up.

Beefster
02-12-2018, 09:48 AM
I really wish she would clarify the comment when it’s evident recruitment and money spent has been piss poor after losing our two best players.

What would you like her to clarify about the comment?

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 09:51 AM
The silence coming out of Easter Road during the summer was defeaning
We had the Scott Allan mystery
The decision to sell Simon Murray without bringing in a suitable replacement for cover is another mystery
It left us with Kamberi MacLaren ( unfit then injured) and Shaw with Boyle as a fourth striker option which has not worked apart from his fine finish away to Celtic

Robbo6-2
02-12-2018, 10:02 AM
The best player on the pitch yesterday by country mile was Greg Stewart.

He was available in the summer and imagine the up roar on here if he signed after his spell at Aberdeen!

Clearly some signings just work and some don't. The majority of ours haven't worked. Send Hydman,McLaren and Agyepong back to parent clubs and bring in at least 4 in January and we might have a chance of making top 6

Diclonius
02-12-2018, 10:06 AM
We were back with the big boys and not in any imminent danger so the board's recruitment level fell back to the default - spend the absolute bare minimum required to remain competitive at our level (read: mid-table), whilst hoarding transfer and ST money for some undefined purpose (maybe recruitment if we get relegated again). Meanwhile our rivals spend well and are miles away from us as things stand.

It's a stupid strategy because if we don't finish in the top 4 this season ST uptake will go back to the baseline and we'll lose money in the long term. If we lose the derby on the 29th attendances will take a hammering. When the first of several "WE HAVE MADE EXCELLENT RECRUITMENT" statements come out near the end of the season with us in the bottom 6, we'll know they've learned nothing.

I remember back when we were **** and attendances were around the 10k mark, the comback answer was "Hibs can't spend money if we aren't buying STs". What's happened to that excuse now?

The January window is going to be the same - **** performances and "stumbling blocks" and a couple bargain basement free transfers/loans on deadline day.

PatHead
02-12-2018, 10:06 AM
One fact is Celtic would not sell us Scott Allan so no blame can be attached to Hibs there. We did try though

I wonder if SA could have pushed harder at his end but we will never know

PatHead
02-12-2018, 10:12 AM
We were back with the big boys and not in any imminent danger so the board's recruitment level fell back to the default - spend the absolute bare minimum required to remain competitive at our level (read: mid-table), whilst hoarding transfer and ST money for some undefined purpose (maybe recruitment if we get relegated again). Meanwhile our rivals spend well and are miles away from us as things stand.

It's a stupid strategy because if we don't finish in the top 4 this season ST uptake will go back to the baseline and we'll lose money in the long term. If we lose the derby on the 29th attendances will take a hammering. When the first of several "WE HAVE MADE EXCELLENT RECRUITMENT" statements come out near the end of the season with us in the bottom 6, we'll know they've learned nothing.
What rivals other than Sevco spent well?

Celtic had a disastrous window, Aberdeen and Lilmarnock didn’t sign anyone of note, with the exception of Naismith,Hearts signed a massive amount of nobodies who got off to a flyer but have been crap since.

That is what makes the fact that our signings not working all the more frustrating.

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 10:14 AM
What rivals other than Sevco spent well?

Celtic had a disastrous window, Aberdeen and Lilmarnock didn’t sign anyone of note, with the exception of Naismith,Hearts signed a massive amount of nobodies who got off to a flyer but have been crap since.

That is what makes the fact that our signings not working all the more frustrating.
Who cares. Only interested in hibs

PatHead
02-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Who cares. Only interested in hibs

Was replying to the previous poster if that is okay with you. He obviously does.

Allant1981

Google it and you will see it, she doesn't need to clarify anything

Dancehibs
One fact is Celtic would not sell us Scott Allan so no blame can be attached to Hibs there. We did try though

Good work pushing board propaganda. Pay going rate we would have signed SA

calumhibee1
I have two issues with what went on in the summer:

Firstly, the length of time it took to get things done. We were well into the season before a good few of our signings arrived or were ‘up to speed’ with 3 of them in Agyepong, Maclaren and Hyndman probably never been up to speed yet. We play all season to get into Europe as we’ve no chance of winning the league. Then when we get there we’re woefully underprepared squad wise.

More alarmingly for me though is the type of players we signed. I can accept that not all signings will work out. But it was glaringly obvious in the summer that we needed some proper centre midfield signings. Guys that you’d call a centre midfielder, not number 10s or midfield anchors yet we didn’t sign any? Instead we signed another holding midfielder who plays internationally as a centre back even though we already have Bartley and Whittaker (I don’t think Whittaker is good enough but still, he’s here) and we signed wingers and number 10s. Why on earth did we not go out and sign at least two out and out centre midfielders?

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Was replying to the previous poster if that is okay with you. He obviously does.
People need to focus on holding our board to account for failure

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 10:17 AM
And Milligan looks too slow, took to long to get signed and is away for internationals including the month long Asian cup. Did any research go into that signing at all or was he all that was left?

He has been fine since he came here, no one was complaining about his pace when we were playing well and people were desperate for him to be back in midfield, Milligan is not the problem

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 10:28 AM
He has been fine since he came here, no one was complaining about his pace when we were playing well and people were desperate for him to be back in midfield, Milligan is not the problem
He’s had a couple of brutal games and has been rubbish since he came back from oz

Smartie
02-12-2018, 10:31 AM
He’s had a couple of brutal games and has been rubbish since he came back from oz

From what I've seen so far he's an expensive and inferior alternative to Marvin Bartley, although to be fair to him he had some decent games early on and it can't be easy playing in that midfield.

horseflesh
02-12-2018, 10:46 AM

This is hibs.net legend. Up there with Leigh Griffiths for 150K

Smartie
02-12-2018, 10:52 AM
This is hibs.net legend. Up there with Leigh Griffiths for 150K

Is it though?

Why would anyone make it up?

I remember it being used as a carrot to get people to pitch up and buy season tickets in record numbers.

matty_f
02-12-2018, 10:59 AM

She clarified it in the very next sentence in the interview.

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 11:17 AM

So 2 games, as I said, there is a lot more to worry about than Mark Milligan just now

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Is it though?

I remember it being used as a carrot to get people to pitch up and buy season tickets in record numbers.

People make stuff up all the time to suit whatever agenda they want to push, the budget is not the biggest for playing staff so you remember incorrectly

jeffers
02-12-2018, 11:21 AM
I have two issues with what went on in the summer:

Firstly, the length of time it took to get things done. We were well into the season before a good few of our signings arrived or were ‘up to speed’ with 3 of them in Agyepong, Maclaren and Hyndman probably never been up to speed yet. We play all season to get into Europe as we’ve no chance of winning the league. Then when we get there we’re woefully underprepared squad wise.

More alarmingly for me though is the type of players we signed. I can accept that not all signings will work out. But it was glaringly obvious in the summer that we needed some proper centre midfield signings. Guys that you’d call a centre midfielder, not number 10s or midfield anchors yet we didn’t sign any? Instead we signed another holding midfielder who plays internationally as a centre back even though we already have Bartley and Whittaker (I don’t think Whittaker is good enough but still, he’s here) and we signed wingers and number 10s. Why on earth did we not go out and sign at least two out and out centre midfielders?

Unless you have a settled team/squad at the end of the season and don’t need to make any summer signings (which is highly unlikely to say the least) chances are most Scottish teams wIll start a Euro campaign undercooked. Personally I think the transfer window should end before the season starts as they did this season in England. It won’t help the Euro situation but it would mean the majority if not all of your signings are in place by the time the league season starts.

Re your second point I totally agree. I keep saying this but I think the players we signed all have ability but they are not players that work together as a unit. And why we never signed a striker with some presence I will never know. Boyle is not a striker he’s a winger, while Shaw’s development has stalled. Couple that with Kamberi looking a shadow of the player from last season, Mclaren never fully fit and when he is played the service he needs to flourish is not there. It makes the failure to sign another striker baffling.

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 11:27 AM
So 2 games, as I said, there is a lot more to worry about than Mark Milligan just now
Can you not count then. But noted your point. Please let me know what and when I ve to worry

Beefster
02-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Aye, but she’s not clarified it after every defeat since. Unacceptable.

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Can you not count then. But noted your point. Please let me know what and when I ve to worry

Fire in and worry about what you want

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 12:13 PM
From what I've seen so far he's an expensive and inferior alternative to Marvin Bartley, although to be fair to him he had some decent games early on and it can't be easy playing in that midfield.
Bartley for me. Milligan looks slower than a week in Saughton hence the reason he was moved to the back three. Apparently tried again in midfield yesterday and got hooked for his own good according to some reports

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Is it though?

:Ummm: **** me, have you met Hibs.net before?

Smartie
02-12-2018, 12:37 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/neil-lennon-has-been-given-biggest-budget-in-hibs-history-1-4746011

So are we arguing about the technicalities of the football budget vs the playing budget then?

J-C
02-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Celtic would sell us Allan but wanted too much, also wanted more of his wages paid than we offered for his loan, so it all collapsed with no deal for either a bid or a loan.

J-C
02-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Bartley for me. Milligan looks slower than a week in Saughton hence the reason he was moved to the back three. Apparently tried again in midfield yesterday and got hooked for his own good according to some reports

We need another busy midfielder in there, Milligan is good playing with a back 4 and sitting in front of the 2 CB, even Slivka in there yesterday would've helped.

PatHead
02-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Celtic would sell us Allan but wanted too much, also wanted more of his wages paid than we offered for his loan, so it all collapsed with no deal for either a bid or a loan.

Not what I heard. Hibs made an enquiry, Celtic refused to even discuss it.

J-C
02-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Probably down to the McGinn nonsense, Lawwell is a right dick. I heard we made an enquiry and Celtic gave us a stupid number around £1m.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 01:11 PM
We need another busy midfielder in there, Milligan is good playing with a back 4 and sitting in front of the 2 CB, even Slivka in there yesterday would've helped.
Still have bad dreams about Forrest whizzing past Milligan as if he wasn’t there I am sure Bartley would have launched him into row 15 before he reached our box but I forgot he is technically not very good and just an enforcer 😁

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Well it’s certainly not been understood by a majority in our support.

MWHIBBIES
Still have bad dreams about Forrest whizzing past Milligan as if he wasn’t there I am sure Bartley would have launched him into row 15 before he reached our box but I forgot he is technically not very good and just an enforcer 😁

Brilliant sample size of one moment there.

He isn't good technically and is only an enforcer. Probably still make a difference to our current mess but not a solution.

Beefster
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/neil-lennon-has-been-given-biggest-budget-in-hibs-history-1-4746011

So are we arguing about the technicalities of the football budget vs the playing budget then?

There is no argument.

“That includes what we are actually spending on players and importantly – and I think it is for folk to understand this – the support, staff, expertise that help fuel the club and in particular around places like the academy and medical and sports science. Stuff like that.”

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Probably down to the McGinn nonsense, Lawwell is a right dick. I heard we made an enquiry and Celtic gave us a stupid number around £1m.

No wonder Dempster pulled it. :offski:

PatHead
02-12-2018, 01:32 PM
There is no argument.

“That includes what we are actually spending on players and importantly – and I think it is for folk to understand this – the support, staff, expertise that help fuel the club and in particular around places like the academy and medical and sports science. Stuff like that.”

Still not clear enough. Can she not give figures?

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 01:43 PM
There is no argument.

The support staff etc etc seems to be paying dividends just now right enough!

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Still not clear enough. Can she not give figures?

The club was happy with the headline and done nothing to clarify it. It helped push season tickets.

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2018, 02:00 PM
The club was happy with the headline and done nothing to clarify it. It helped push season tickets.Is it the club's fault if people don't actually read beyond the headlines?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 02:02 PM
Is it the club's fault if people don't actually read beyond the headlines?

No, of course it’s not. But right now, in time of crisis the club should be communicating better to the support who think the message is it was the biggest playing side budget ever. At least 50% believe that was the message. Even if it wasn’t the. Wtf is the money being *****ed on because it’s clearly not working.

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2018, 02:06 PM
No, of course it’s not. But right now, in time of crisis the club should be communicating better to the support who think the message is it was the biggest playing side budget ever. At least 50% believe that was the message. Even if it wasn’t the. Wtf is the money being *****ed on because it’s clearly not working.Clearly, the Club missed that poll.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Clearly, the Club missed that poll.

You think otherwise?

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
You think otherwise?I don't know. But, having read the actual article, it didn't really occur to me to ask others how they interpreted it.

Lago
02-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Rubbish, absolute nonsense !!

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 02:25 PM
I don't know. But, having read the actual article, it didn't really occur to me to ask others how they interpreted it.

Fair enough- It seems to have split the fans though so imo clarification would be the best way to go about business at a time a lot of the support are disgruntled to say the least.

flash
02-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Fair enough- It seems to have split the fans though so imo clarification would be the best way to go about business at a time a lot of the support are disgruntled to say the least.

It's split the fans between those who read the whole thing and those who didn't.

Ozyhibby
02-12-2018, 02:29 PM

It’s not important anyway. A record budget should be happening most seasons with inflation.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Rubbish, absolute nonsense !!

Sorry agree with the OP on this one. He got off to a prolific start but his goals have unsurprisingly dried up and he has not done nearly enough in open play to justify his place for me

According to reports was largely anonymous yesterday and it would seem that Lenny only keeps him in the team because of his prowess at free kicks.

matty_f
02-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Well it’s certainly not been understood by a majority in our support.

How do you know?

Lago
02-12-2018, 02:31 PM
I don't know. But, having read the actual article, it didn't really occur to me to ask others how they interpreted it.

Irrespective as to how anyone interpreted it, the facts as presented, were that Hibernian F.C. as an entity, had the biggest ever budget & by default that surely means the playing side had a bigger budget relative to previous seasons. Fans have every right to query how much that department received & critise poor expenditure.

matty_f
02-12-2018, 02:33 PM

“I would go as far as to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had. I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are actually spending on players and importantly – and I think it is for folk to understand this – the support, staff, expertise that help fuel the club and in particular around places like the academy and medical and sports science. Stuff like that.

I don't think it's arguing over technicalities, it's spelled out in that very article what she meant. She specifically clarified what she meant.

Onion
02-12-2018, 02:35 PM
I think we held onto unrealistic hope of keeping Dylan and SJM for too long - remember SJM started the season for us, and started very well.

Selling SJM for decent cash at a late stage meant that our true budget and what we had to do with it were finalised late.

I'm content that all of the players signed are of a good enough standard, but glaring squad deficiencies (lack of a mobile midfielder and lack of striking options) mean that we haven't seen the best of our signings. I think Lennon might have expected Slivka to step up a bit more than he has done as well.

Because of the glaring deficiencies, Lennon has had to try to be creative in covering for them, with little success so far.

We're not far away from being a good side, but imo we do need to make at least 2 very solid signings in January.

The deficiencies have been so poor that players who were let go through seemingly not being good enough (Fyvie, Stanton, Graham, Murray) would probably have played a reasonable amount and made a difference if they'd still been here.

Set against that was Hibs earning some European money, and fans buying the most the Season Tickets for 40 years ! In retrospect, the Board (and Lennon) have failed to mitigate the biggest risk to the club / team. IMO not ONE of the new midfielders would displace SJM, Allan or McGeough. There's no excuse for that !

ALL our problems revolve around our weak midfield. Poor defending, ineffective strikers, loss of goals, lack of goals. Our good players last season have not become duds this season, it is all due to the poor quality midfielders who cannot tackle or defend, cannot pass and have no drive or control. There's a real danger that the shortsightedness of the Board ( & Lennon) worried about cash flow will translate to loss of revenue through falling crowds for years to come.

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Our summer signings up to now have not been good enough, i personally did not expect us to be as good as last season yet, and think we will need another window or two to get better.

Its obvious we are going through a bad patch, but anyone would think we were bottom of the league with some of the sheite i read here.

Unless we are winning every week and never lose a game, we are either the best team by a mile, or the worst team in the league.

We have the structure to come again, but panic seems to be the way these days with supporters?

Smartie
02-12-2018, 02:42 PM
The insinuation was that the club were going to do their bit as long as we pitched up and bought season tickets.

We did so, in record numbers, and we have a squad that is ridiculously light in midfield and up front.

Picking into the technicalities of what LD may or may not have said or meant misses the point.

People are pissed off because they stumped up in the expectation of getting something very different to what they are getting.

Diclonius
02-12-2018, 02:45 PM
The insinuation was that the club were going to do their bit as long as we pitched up and bought season tickets.

We did so, in record numbers, and we have a squad that is ridiculously light in midfield and up front.

Picking into the technicalities of what LD may or may not have said or meant misses the point.

People are pissed off because they stumped up in the expectation of getting something very different to what they are getting.

Spot on.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 02:50 PM
It's split the fans between those who read the whole thing and those who didn't.

And those who don’t read full articles and buy newspapers? There’s a massive amount of our support who believe it was said we would have the biggest playing budget in our history that when you look at what the likes of GJP was spending is an incredible statement (that people believe) again, biggest footballing budget, what’s it being *****ed on because it’s clearly not helping right now!

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 02:51 PM
I don't think it's arguing over technicalities, it's spelled out in that very article what she meant. She specifically clarified what she meant.

It’s clear as mud that’s why there’s so many discussions and debates.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 02:52 PM
How do you know?

It’s not hard to judge Marty, you’re cleverer than that.

Hibs90
02-12-2018, 02:54 PM

“I would go as far as to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had. I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are actually spending on players and importantly – and I think it is for folk to understand this – the support, staff, expertise that help fuel the club and in particular around places like the academy and medical and sports science. Stuff like that"

That help you understand?

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2018, 02:54 PM
And those who don’t read full articles and buy newspapers? There’s a massive amount of our support who believe it was said we would have the biggest playing budget in our history that when you look at what the likes of GJP was spending is an incredible statement (that people believe) again, biggest footballing budget, what’s it being *****ed on because it’s clearly not helping right now!

How much did we spend, and how much did we keep back just to piss people off?

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 03:00 PM
“I would go as far as to say last year, and definitely this year, the football budget will be the biggest the club has ever had. I can say that with some certainty. That includes what we are actually spending on players and importantly – and I think it is for folk to understand this – the support, staff, expertise that help fuel the club and in particular around places like the academy and medical and sports science. Stuff like that"

That help you understand?

I know the statement. I understand and still think it’s being wasted considering the position we are in just now with sod all products from the academy coming through and not being part of the sfa performance school.

Why was the statement made? Why did the club allow the misleading headlines? There’s thousands of our support who believe it was said it was our biggest every playing budget, that can’t be denied. Not everyone who thinks that or believe that are thick, it’s been misled to assume that was the message when season tickets went on sale.

Lemonade
02-12-2018, 03:00 PM
It’s clear as mud that’s why there’s so many discussions and debates.

I assume you have now read what she actually said by now.
Why are you still going in about it.

It couldn’t be clearer what she said.

Edit :
Just seen your post above.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 03:01 PM
I assume you have now read what she actually said by now.
Why are you still going in about it.

It couldn’t be clearer what she said.

I read it months ago and got the message. Plenty didn’t though, that’s the issue.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 03:02 PM
How much did we spend, and how much did we keep back just to piss people off?

We’ve spent the largest amount in our history so says the CEO. Seems a bit of a waste at the moment though, doesn’t it?

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 03:02 PM
I know the statement. I understand and still think it’s being wasted considering the position we are in just now with sod all products from the academy coming through and not being part of the sfa performance school.

Why was the statement made? Why did the club allow the misleading headlines? There’s thousands of our support who believe it was said it was our biggest every playing budget, that can’t be denied. Not everyone who thinks that or believe that are thick, it’s been misled to assume that was the message when season tickets went on sale.

Misleading headline where? People read what they want to read, and how do you know there are thousands of fans thinking this?

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Misleading headline where? People read what they want to read, and how do you know there are thousands of fans thinking this?

Create a poll then Allan. The amount of times on social Mendoza and when actually going to games it gets brought up is unreal. Clarification would be simple.

Beefster
02-12-2018, 03:03 PM
The support staff etc etc seems to be paying dividends just now right enough!

Thankfully, after nearly 24 hours, we’ve actually arrived at a point that is open to debate.

lord bunberry
02-12-2018, 03:04 PM
I know Marty, you’ve been back to the future.

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2018, 03:05 PM
We’ve spent the largest amount in our history so says the CEO. Seems a bit of a waste at the moment though, doesn’t it?

That is a different argument though, isnt it?

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 03:07 PM
That is a different argument though, isnt it?

Correct. 👍

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Create a poll then Allan. The amount of times on social Mendoza and when actually going to games it gets brought up is unreal. Clarification would be simple.

I don't need to create a poll as this site has no bearing on our overall support, again people will always read what they want to read, the actual statement has been written numerous times yet people still don't get it

calumhibee1
02-12-2018, 03:13 PM

:agree:

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 03:22 PM
I know Marty, you’ve been back to the future.

I think Marty should go and get us Pat Stanton from about 1972.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 04:41 PM
I think Marty should go and get us Pat Stanton from about 1972.

LOLs 😂

No need for that, just jump back to 2016 and grab a well organised side playing for the manager when 2 down at the pink dump. Absolutely guarantee £100 to any charity you where nowhere near the pbs that day either.

eastcoasthibby
02-12-2018, 05:13 PM
Correct. 👍

Its actually part of what was raised in my original poat about recruitment in identifying the right players, who fit our needs and are able to go, not tied up in work permits, injury prone, or just not fit.
The other part referred to is the fitness levels getting players up to speed, amount of injuries not aligned to during games and apparent sharpness/fitness in games now.
Both of these issues are up for debate as they are where the budget has increased over the past 2 years, to get us supposedly, the best support to get the players.in the best condition and also recruit the best possible.
Are they delivering and have they delivered whats required/expected of them ?

matty_f
02-12-2018, 05:14 PM

That wasn't the institution at all. Read the whole article, there's no mention of the fans doing their bit, just a clear explanation of what was happening and how we'd go about transfer business.

She did this interview in May, the previous season would have not long finished.

Smartie
02-12-2018, 05:24 PM
That wasn't the institution at all. Read the whole article, there's no mention of the fans doing their bit, just a clear explanation of what was happening and how we'd go about transfer business.

She did this interview in May, the previous season would have not long finished.

Yep, and season tickets had been on sale for months.

You have the initial launch, a push on each deadline and continued PR until the new season is underway. Then you have the half season ticket push.

I've read the article in it's entirety and I understand the context and insinuation. The suggestion is that we will be spending more than ever on football operations, not on filling in corners, indoor pitches or helipads.

Whilst there is no specific mention of the fans, why else would anyone at Hibs be talking up how much we were spending on football operations at that time of year other than to get us to stump up for the coming season?

I find this a bit of a strange non-argument to be honest and I don't know how I've managed to become embroiled in it.

matty_f
02-12-2018, 05:30 PM

You have the initial launch, a push on each deadline and continued PR until the new season is underway. Then you have the half season ticket push.

I've read the article in it's entirety and I understand the context and insinuation. The suggestion is that we will be spending more than ever on football operations, not on filling in corners, indoor pitches or helipads.

Whilst there is no specific mention of the fans, why else would anyone at Hibs be talking up how much we were spending on football operations at that time of year other than to get us to stump up for the coming season?

I find this a bit of a strange non-argument to be honest and I don't know how I've managed to become embroiled in it.

:greengrin: same here.

EH54
02-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Tbh they are all decent players they just don't work for us. We need more legs in midfield. Mallan would probably make a decent enough number 10. Not blessed with pace but can pick a pass and has some right foot. Kris commons made a career out of those attributes. Could see Mallan doing something similar with the right body's around him. If we added kamara and Allan I think it would make a massive difference. We don't need a big hardman we just need legs and physicality in there. Kamberi is more than adequate for what we need. Maclaren isn't the answer I don't think. I'm convinced we can do better. He doesn't bring enough to the game. The defence is aging. Too many injury's. It breeds inconsistency. Get Ambrose tied down. We have Porteous coming through if we can add another decent defender and phase Mcgregor out that would be what I would do.. full backs the same tbh. Gray is constantly injured. He would be back up for me I'd be looking to bring in a first choice right and left back.

My_Wife_Camille
02-12-2018, 05:40 PM

By far and away the most accurate summary of what happened though.

The_Horde
02-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Let's not panic. This side is more than capable of turning it around, for some this is the first acid test of their character.

We still have a side capable of scoring goals and keeping clean sheets. They've done it plenty this season. We need bodies back and fit though asap.

Bog/Rocky

Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Milligan

Mallan Bartley

Horgan

Boyle Kamberi

That side will get us 3 points on Wednesday. I have no doubt. Can even switch that to 4-3-3 at times throughout the game, I know Lenny likes to have fluidity.

We looked really dangerous at times against Dundee and slipped up. We didn't lose, we shot ourselves in the foot. I think folk forget that.

We were poor against Killie and they're on top form and we got what we deserved.

MWHIBBIES
02-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Let's not panic. This side is more than capable of turning it around, for some this is the first acid test of their character.

We still have a side capable of scoring goals and keeping clean sheets. They've done it plenty this season. We need bodies back and fit though asap.

Bog/Rocky

Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Milligan

Mallan Bartley

Horgan

Boyle Kamberi

That side will get us 3 points on Wednesday. I have no doubt. Can even switch that to 4-3-3 at times throughout the game, I know Lenny likes to have fluidity.

We looked really dangerous at times against Dundee and slipped up. We didn't lose, we shot ourselves in the foot. I think folk forget that.

We were poor against Killie and they're on top form and we got what we deserved.

Anything with Boyle up front will struggle to get points in this league. Like having 10 men.

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Anything with Boyle up front will struggle to get points in this league. Like having 10 men.

Maclaren Kamberi up front. The service is the issue, not the forwards.

MWHIBBIES
02-12-2018, 11:30 PM
Maclaren Kamberi up front. The service is the issue, not the forwards.

Boyle is a terrible striker. He has no idea what he's doing up front. Has to be Mac or Shaw with Flo if 2 strikers.

Smartie
02-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Boyle is a terrible striker. He has no idea what he's doing up front. Has to be Mac or Shaw with Flo if 2 strikers.

Boyle was quite good up front in the Championship but I agree he just doesn't have what it takes to play up there at this level.

He's one of the best wingers in the league and we miss him badly in his preferred position when we play him somewhere else.

This is one of the biggest (and easiest to fix) problems that Lennon needs to address.

mcfly
02-12-2018, 11:43 PM

Oh dear what a load of rubbish

Everyone was happy when we were playing well In sept. We have had a bad month and it’s boyle is rubbish, Lennon must go.

What ever happened to backing your team thick and thin.

Lose a few games and these pages are full of complaints

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 12:07 AM
Oh dear what a load of rubbish

Everyone was happy when we were playing well In sept. We have had a bad month and it’s boyle is rubbish, Lennon must go.

What ever happened to backing your team thick and thin.

Lose a few games and these pages are full of complaints

Who said he was rubbish mate? Not me. He's a rubbish striker. He's a good winger.

I do support the team through thick and thin. I'll be at Easter road on Wednesday and Hamilton on Saturday. Boyle is still a hopeless striker.

I was delighted in September, pretty ****ing pissed off with November though.

The_Horde
03-12-2018, 12:11 AM

As I say. If he's up front and it isn't working then let him drift wide and Horgan too. Boyle's had many good games up top, not even so long ago.

NAE NOOKIE
03-12-2018, 02:14 AM
There's no doubt that midfield is where our main problems lie … if you include Scott Allan we had three players in there who could run with the ball and at least two of them who could tackle in McGeough and McGinn .. especially McGinn who had a habit of losing the ball at times, but the difference was that 10 seconds later he had won it back.

If you look at Hyndman and Mallan neither one could tackle a fish supper and Slivka is no better in that department … that's the big difference in midfield, its not so much a lack of ability as it is players with ability who are less than useless when we aren't in possession, you could probably include Horgan in that who doesn't seem the best defensively. In fact it says everything when in one game this season, it may have been against St Johnstone, I came away saying Marvin Bartley was by far the most composed player we had in midfield .. that should set alarm bells ringing right there.

At a minimum we need a combative midfielder full of energy who can run with the ball and tackle and another striker.

Stop playing Boyle as a striker and stop playing Horgan as a midfielder, get him on the bloody left wing and see what he can do FFS. I don't get the folk saying punt Agyepong either .. from what I've seen the kid is a real talent and has the ability to absolutely terrify defences, yes he has been injury prone, but I would definitely hold on to him in the hope he can get and stay fit coz I'm convinced he could do a job for us.

None of the guys at the back are anywhere near past it in defensive terms, their problem is that because our midfield is so powder puff in winning the ball or stifling other teams forward momentum it comes back at them far too quickly and far too often … the back 3 or back 4 should be the second line of defence when you don't have possession, at the moment they are the first line because our midfield is so easy to overpower … yeh you can put Marvin in there, but the poor bugger cant do it all on his own and it would appear Milligan cant either.

As for the main theme of the thread … what we did or didn't do in the summer is becoming increasingly irrelevant, its what we can do in January that will make or break this season, if it isn't already too late by then that is. I have no idea where we are going to get the players we need to sort out our problems, but Hibs made a big play of a determination to identify and acquire the correct players when the new broom began its clean sweep at Easter Road and readily admitted that in previous years a failure to do that was a main contributor to our problems. If there was ever a time to show that we have taken the right measures to address that issue it will be this January.

Unseen work
03-12-2018, 02:19 AM
Before we had even played a game we all knew the balance of the squad was off with the players we had signed

Kamberi
Maclaren
Aygepong
Horgan
Mallan
Hyndman

All attacking players when in reality you can really only start 2 or 3 per game. We lost bite and energy in the middle of the park and have now lost our identity to how we play.

I really like Horgan as he always creates chances and would be a nightmare to play against.

Same with Aygepong Iv been impressed with it’s just a shame he is always injured

Hyndman has been a massive let down as I thought he would be a great addition but seems to rarely influence games

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 07:27 AM
As I say. If he's up front and it isn't working then let him drift wide and Horgan too. Boyle's had many good games up top, not even so long ago.

When has Boyle had these good games up front? The championship?

Ozyhibby
03-12-2018, 07:31 AM
In January we need to bring in at least two ball winning midfielders plus hopefully Allan.
Hyndman and agyepong need moved on to pay for it.
We also need to sign a striker as three is not enough, especially with Boyle and McLaren away all January.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 07:37 AM
In January we need to bring in at least two ball winning midfielders plus hopefully Allan.
Hyndman and agyepong need moved on to pay for it.
We also need to sign a striker as three is not enough, especially with Boyle and McLaren away all January.

One loan player leaving and another having his loan terminated isn't paying for a new midfield.

500miles
03-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Just to clarify, 2 of the signings we were reported to have missed it on, came in the end. Horgan and Milligan were top targets for Lennon.

Ozyhibby
03-12-2018, 08:28 AM
One loan player leaving and another having his loan terminated isn't paying for a new midfield.

Their wages will be freed up. And we might have to spend some of the money we brought in for McGinn and Europe.

Ozyhibby
03-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Just to clarify, 2 of the signings we were reported to have missed it on, came in the end. Horgan and Milligan were top targets for Lennon.

That’s a problem then because neither have made an impact.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Their wages will be freed up. And we might have to spend some of the money we brought in for McGinn and Europe.

We might not even be paying much wages for them. Premier League clubs would probably be quite happy to cover wages if their players get games and develop.

Ozyhibby
03-12-2018, 09:19 AM
We might not even be paying much wages for them. Premier League clubs would probably be quite happy to cover wages if their players get games and develop.

I don’t think doing nothing is a very good idea. We need to sign some quality.

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2018, 10:05 AM
I don’t think doing nothing is a very good idea. We need to sign some quality.

Of course, I agree with that fully. We need a spark but most of all we need the current players to return to form asap because we can't bring a whole team in.

07BigD
03-12-2018, 10:23 AM
We desperately need someone with legs in midfield, the drive we have lost from McGeouch and especially McGinn is really starting to show.

Neil has chopped and changed the team lines up and shape so much recently it's no wonder we are all over the place, look back to last season you could name the starting eleven before it was announced!

I think we should go back to basics a good old fashioned 4-4-2

Bogdan

Gray(please) Efe Hanlon Lewis

Boyle Milligan Mallan Horgan

McLaren Kamberi

The two in the middle need to start running their ***** off for the team because that is our biggest let down just now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Elephant Stone
03-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Good to see some reason creeping back into things after the hysteria of losing at the weekend is starting to subside. I reckon we're two players off having a decent squad, possibly only one if our new signings hit form. It's looking certain that we haven't done enough to replace the centre of midfield, it was always going to be near enough impossible to get 3 players of the same quality but we haven't even come close. Need to get at least one new CM in January.

Bogdan

Gray Porteous/Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle Allan Bartley/Milligan Horgan

Kamberi Maclaren

That team, if it built confidence and momentum, would be more than decent.

07BigD
03-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Good to see some reason creeping back into things after the hysteria of losing at the weekend is starting to subside. I reckon we're two players off having a decent squad, possibly only one if our new signings hit form. It's looking certain that we haven't done enough to replace the centre of midfield, it was always going to be near enough impossible to get 3 players of the same quality but we haven't even come close. Need to get at least one new CM in January.

Bogdan

Gray Porteous/Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle Allan Bartley/Milligan Horgan

Kamberi Maclaren

That team, if it built confidence and momentum, would be more than decent.The only problem is that we are not in a position to pick the team, will this sort of line-up ever see the light of day?

Elephant Stone
03-12-2018, 10:43 AM
The only problem is that we are not in a position to pick the team, will this sort of line-up ever see the light of day?

A lot depends on fitness it would seem, particularly the fitness of Gray. When someone is filling in for Gray it has a big effect on the shape of the rest of the team. Really, really need a fit Gray or a new right back who is ready to start.

Ozyhibby
03-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Of course, I agree with that fully. We need a spark but most of all we need the current players to return to form asap because we can't bring a whole team in.

We don’t know if Milligan, Horgan, Hyndman or Agyepong are good enough. Evidence so far is not good. They may not be off form, just not good enough.

07BigD
03-12-2018, 10:58 AM
A lot depends on fitness it would seem, particularly the fitness of Gray. When someone is filling in for Gray it has a big effect on the shape of the rest of the team. Really, really need a fit Gray or a new right back who is ready to start.We have to hope he plays on Wednesday, obviously didn't want to risk him on that horrible pitch at Kilmarnock

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 11:04 AM
We don’t know if Milligan, Horgan, Hyndman or Agyepong are good enough. Evidence so far is not good. They may not be off form, just not good enough.

I think we now know.

The only one that has excuses is Tam who has been unlucky with injuries.

I would be inclined to send Hyndman and Tam back to their clubs as they are not our players and to make way for others

We then have to work with any additions and make the best of what we have until the end of the season

number9dream
03-12-2018, 11:12 AM

But why were we not in for Allan on day one of the summer? It was only at the tail end of the window that things turned sour, with Celtic trying to low ball us for McGinn.

Maybe there was an expectation on all sides that Allan would be part of a McGinn package but then again the Hyndman signing suggests we knew Allan wasn't coming in early August. Very frustrating and such a waste of talent.

Looking ahead, I hope we're going to make January enquiries about a summer deal for Greg Stewart when his Birmingham contract expires.

PatHead
03-12-2018, 11:20 AM
But why were we not in for Allan on day one of the summer? It was only at the tail end of the window that things turned sour, with Celtic trying to low ball us for McGinn.

Maybe there was an expectation on all sides that Allan would be part of a McGinn package but then again the Hyndman signing suggests we knew Allan wasn't coming in early August. Very frustrating and such a waste of talent.

Looking ahead, I hope we're going to make January enquiries about a summer deal for Greg Stewart when his Birmingham contract expires.
We did inquire early in the window. Remember Celtic made their first "bid" in early July and not at the tail end.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 11:23 AM

Took his goal well and turned Milligan inside out three times in our box first half so much so that Milligan had to pay to get back into the ground for the second half.

If I was Greg Stewart given the choice I would rather stay at Kilmarnock thank you very much wouldn’t you?

number9dream
03-12-2018, 11:36 AM
We did inquire early in the window. Remember Celtic made their first "bid" in early July and not at the tail end.

You're right, PH. I'm just frustrated that we haven't been able to build on a fantastic season. Scott Allan sitting at home on the X-box is just such a waste...

NAE NOOKIE
03-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Took his goal well and turned Milligan inside out three times in our box first half so much so that Milligan had to pay to get back into the ground for the second half.

If I was Greg Stewart given the choice I would rather stay at Kilmarnock thank you very much wouldn’t you?

Not when his contract expires he wouldn't because Killie couldn't afford anything like what he's on just now … if it was a toss up between us and them it would be a no brainer for him for so many reasons you would need a bog roll to write them all on.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Not when his contract expires he wouldn't because Killie couldn't afford anything like what he's on just now … if it was a toss up between us and them it would be a no brainer for him for so many reasons you would need a bog roll to write them all on.
Hope so!

The 90+2
03-12-2018, 12:07 PM

He’s also an Edinburgh lad. Supports the other west coast blue though.