PDA

View Full Version : Are the Hibs Board Behind Lennon?

The Harp Awakes
01-12-2018, 08:26 PM
The Hibs Board's silence following Lennon speaking out about the sectarian abuse he receives at matches is deafening.

They should have made a public statement after Tynecastle supporting their Manager and condemning all forms of sectarian and racist abuse.

They failed to do so for whatever reason and it has damaged the relationship with the Manager leaving us in freefall since Tynie.

cabbageandribs1875
01-12-2018, 08:32 PM
maybe the budge wouldn't allow Leeann to make a statement on her own :dunno: :greengrin

Barney McGrew
01-12-2018, 08:33 PM
https://talksport.com/football/440813/hibernian-chief-executive-leeann-dempster-defends-neil-lennon/

Greensunshine
01-12-2018, 08:33 PM
The Hibs Board's silence following Lennon speaking out about the sectarian abuse he receives at matches is deafening.

They should have made a public statement after Tynecastle supporting their Manager and condemning all forms of sectarian and racist abuse.

They failed to do so for whatever reason and it has damaged the relationship with the Manager leaving us in freefall since Tynie.

Leeann released a joint statement with Budgie. :confused:

MWHIBBIES
01-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Did Hibs issue a statement after a Hearts fan attacked Riordan?

We don't really get involved in public mudslinging. Dunno if that is right or not but it has always been Farmers way.

Beefster
01-12-2018, 08:35 PM
I think I live in a parallel universe. I heard Dempster defending Lennon against tits claiming ‘he asks for it’ at least twice.

But aye, if we only count statements on the website, they’re not supporting him.

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 08:37 PM
It seems for some to be absolutely everyone else’s fault but the managers.

We lose the next 3 or 4 games, he walks and it will be the blame game against everyone but the manager.

The board has more than backed Neil Lennon and continue to do so. Did they force him to give Whittaker a 3 year contract on good money? Sign that random boy that Hearts released? Sign Bohr 4 players this summer nowhere near good enough? Horgan will be on very good money yet fail to know his best position. Nah, this time the board are averse to any of the blame. Neil knee McGinn and McGeough where off in the summer and has failed to sound out from this time last year, players to come in and do a job as replacements. His record in the transfer market since Park left Celtic has been horrendous.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 08:38 PM
I do think the Hibs board support Lennon, but I would like to hear them speak out about the sectarianism our manager receives at the homes of particular clubs.

They were as silent when it was Stubbs though, so I don't think anything is specifically wrong.

The Harp Awakes
01-12-2018, 08:43 PM
https://talksport.com/football/440813/hibernian-chief-executive-leeann-dempster-defends-neil-lennon/

She dodged the issue. The elephant in the room. Talks only about the coin and Lennons actions.

Real Emerald
01-12-2018, 08:46 PM
I feel for Lennon as he has to put up with totally unjustified abuse all the time. However, no matter how much everyone tries it won’t go away. His goading of the crowd at tynie was completely understandable as was the airplane and cupped ears v Rangers but he’s not going to get folk on his side by doing it. The fact that this ends up as a Hibs issue isn’t good for the club and while he’s blameless or not it’s an issue that won’t go away.

Shocking for a society that’s meant to be inclusive and just shows there’s different rules depending on your particular denomination. For the record I’m not Catholic, couldn’t care less but you would be jailed for racism if you did this to a person from Pakistan, India or places of that ilk, and rightly so. I’m not surprised he’s having problems dealing with it. Thought better of my wee light hearted joke.

ronaldo7
01-12-2018, 08:51 PM
She dodged the issue. The elephant in the room. Talks only about the coin and Lennons actions.

Completely dodges the sectarian issue. She nearly says "Tynecastle" at one stage, but draws back. Poor stuff, and she's been found wanting in this and other situations where he's needed support.

It's not just been him though, Stubbsy went throught the same, and...Nothing.

Gmack7
01-12-2018, 09:00 PM
he's been backed in the past. we'll find out soon enough if he'll be backed in the near future.

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 09:02 PM
he's been backed in the past. we'll find out soon enough if he'll be backed in the near future.

Petrie might go down the very justifiable Collins route of asking him to explain the last transfer window. Rod isn’t going to go beg Lawwell for Allan either.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Petrie might go down the very justifiable Collins route of asking him to explain the last transfer window. Rod isn’t going to go beg Lawwell for Allan either.

If Lennon identifies Allan as being part of the solution then Petrie needs to do what is required to secure him, including begging Lawwell if that is what it takes.

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 09:08 PM
If Lennon identifies Allan as being part of the solution then Petrie needs to do what is required to secure him, including begging Lawwell if that is what it takes.

I don’t think for a minute Celtic will give us Allan having been embarrassed over McGinn. I do agree with the sentiment that Petrie should be doing the best for our club over anything personal though.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 09:43 PM
I don’t think for a minute Celtic will give us Allan having been embarrassed over McGinn. I do agree with the sentiment that Petrie should be doing the best for our club over anything personal though.

Celtic watch the pennies and will be missing out on Champions League money this year.

They won't be doing anyone any favours but if they get an opportunity to save a few thousand quid on a player who is clearly never going to be close to their first team then not take it over something so petty, I'd be astonished.

Brizo
01-12-2018, 10:28 PM
Completely dodges the sectarian issue. She nearly says "Tynecastle" at one stage, but draws back. Poor stuff, and she's been found wanting in this and other situations where he's needed support.

:agree:

Dempster is first and foremost a business women and a politician with a small p. She's been great for Hibs but Hibs are a job for her, she can make all the right soundbites she wants but she will never have the emotional attachment to the club that life long real fans have.

Football is a career for her, Motherwell, and now Hibs. Ive no doubt that she will leave us at some point for another club. It wouldn't surprise me if that move is to The Rangers where she apparently had an ST growing up. She wont jeopardize her future career prospects by speaking out for us the way that the likes of Tom Hart did.

In some ways its a positive that she rises above the tribal and concentrates on the business side of things. In other ways her unwillingness to fight the manager and the fans corners on sectarianism might be seen in some quarters as dignified silence but in others as appeasement.

Scotty Leither
01-12-2018, 10:35 PM

Dempster is first and foremost a business women and a politician with a small p. She's been great for Hibs but Hibs are a job for her, she can make all the right soundbites she wants but she will never have the emotional attachment to the club that life long real fans have.

Football is a career for her, Motherwell, and now Hibs. Ive no doubt that she will leave us at some point for another club. It wouldn't surprise me if that move is to The Rangers where she apparently had an ST growing up. She wont jeopardize her future career prospects by speaking out for us the way that the likes of Tom Hart did.

In some ways its a positive that she rises above the tribal and concentrates on the business side of things. In other ways her unwillingness to fight the manager and the fans corners on sectarianism might be seen in some quarters as dignified silence but in others as appeasement.

Cracking post and pretty much as how I see it. I've heard it said that Directors/CEOs can't afford to think like fans and there's a great deal of merit in that sentiment.

That said, the Tom Hart analogy is a good one too, because I think the Hibs' Board lack someone like him to fight our corner and I think they're culturally averse to that line of thinking - "too corporate" if you like, and I think the club are still viewed as a soft touch in that regard.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 10:35 PM

It is 100% appeasement to me.

Tbh, it is my biggest bugbear with Hibs right now.

When it comes to sectarianism, racism etc I always go with the saying "you're either part of the solution or part of the problem".

Our club's ongoing silence does nothing to suggest to me that we are any part of any solution, which is a great shame, especially when you consider our club's roots.

In fact, to take it further, I'd say that the thing that bugs me most about Scotland in general is the casual appeasement and acceptance of the kind of conduct that emanates from Ibrox. In this day and age, and in a supposedly progressive nation, it is a disgrace.

Scotty Leither
01-12-2018, 10:38 PM

When it comes to sectarianism, racism etc I always go with the saying "you're either part of the solution or part of the problem".

Our club's ongoing silence does nothing to suggest to me that we are any part of any solution, which is a great shame, especially when you consider our club's roots.

Yup, this too, and thanks for articulating it so well. One shred of comfort in an otherwise crappy day.

bingo70
01-12-2018, 10:48 PM

In fact, to take it further, I'd say that the thing that bugs me most about Scotland in general is the casual appeasement and acceptance of the kind of conduct that emanates from Ibrox. In this day and age, and in a supposedly progressive nation, it is a disgrace.

The thing that bugged me in the days following the game at Tynecastle was the victim blaming that went on. You had senior police officers, ex and current pro’s, politicians, pundits and even some of our own fans basically saying he brought it on himself.

That clearly and visibly hurt Lennon, we possibly felt we couldn’t say too much about the incident itself after what happened to the hearts goalie but we should have defended Lennon better from the suggestion it was his own fault.

I know Dempster was on TalkSPORT, I listened to it at the time however I felt she was taken aback by the questioning and I personally don’t think she dealt with it very well. As a club we should have made a statement disputing the suggestion it was his own fault and made it clear if someone is attacked it is never their own fault.

I think we let Lennon down a bit there tbh and to me it looked a bit like Neil Lennon versus the world (or Scottish football, but that doesn’t sound as dramatic 😉)

Smartie
01-12-2018, 10:51 PM
The thing that bugged me in the days following the game at Tynecastle was the victim blaming that went on. You had senior police officers, ex and current pro’s, politicians, pundits and even some of our own fans basically saying he brought it on himself.

That clearly and visibly hurt Lennon, we possibly felt we couldn’t say too much about the incident itself after what happened to the hearts goalie but we should have defended Lennon better from the suggestion it was his own fault.

I know Dempster was on TalkSPORT, I listened to it at the time however I felt she was taken aback by the questioning and I personally don’t think she dealt with it very well. As a club we should have made a statement disputing the suggestion it was his own fault and made it clear if someone is attacked it is never their own fault.

I think we let Lennon down a bit there tbh and to me it looked a bit like Neil Lennon versus the world (or Scottish football, but that doesn’t sound as dramatic 😉)
Cracking post, and I agree with you 100% on this.

I can't believe the police guy's comments were allowed to go unchallenged.

Scotty Leither
01-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Cracking post, and I agree with you 100% on this.

I can't believe the police guy's comments were allowed to go unchallenged.

Les Gray is the go-to guy for BBC shortbread when they want a couple of cliched soundbites from a "voice of authority".

If Les Gray is the answer, we're asking all the wrong questions.

Diclonius
02-12-2018, 12:01 AM
Petrie wants the SFA job and Dempster wants to go to Rangers or another wealthier club.

Until that changes, Hibs' one and only position on anything involving the OF or the footballing authorities in this country will be "dignified silence". They won't say anything that might upset their potential future bosses and Lennon's probably had enough.

green day
02-12-2018, 12:07 AM
Some astonishing levels of fudliness on this and other threads today.

Get a grip, ffs

tonyrougier123
02-12-2018, 12:15 AM

Personally I think hibs have took the right approach.our recent form is due to bad game management imo.shoddy tactics/key injuries are hampering our season no bigotry,hibs addressing it only gives it credence,lennon dealt with this stuff last season and even worse at celtic.what he needs to do is get his thinking cap on and start selecting a team that are not going to be so undeniably beat after 6minutes its unacceptable.or we could keep making excuses all season.

Squealing pig
02-12-2018, 02:29 AM
Bring back Stubbs

Hi Heid Yin
02-12-2018, 02:37 AM

Exactly.
This thread should now be closed.

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Bring back Stubbs

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Murder at St Mirren, no thanks

we are hibs
02-12-2018, 09:11 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: Murder at St Mirren, no thanks

Scott Allan should never have been resigned last season as he was murder at Dundee then?....

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Scott Allan should never have been resigned last season as he was murder at Dundee then?....

This the same AS who couldn't get us out the Championship?

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:20 AM

The same Alan Stubbs that won us the Scottish Cup.

Do you firmly believe that Lennon would have gotten us promoted ahead of hearts then the huns based on our season down there with him as manager?

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2018, 09:23 AM
The same Alan Stubbs that won us the Scottish Cup.

Do you firmly believe that Lennon would have gotten us promoted ahead of hearts then the huns based on our season down there with him as manager?

He won SC yes, but people were wanting him out long before then.

No idea on your question, all ifs and buts

Kojock
02-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Could it be that Dempster used to be a season ticket holder at Ibrox and doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with the Rangers song book.

we are hibs
02-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Same Alan Stubbs who done more at hibs than Lennon ever has or will. Same Stubbs who built a better squad from 7 players after relegation on a lesser budget than the current manager has with a bigger budget. Same stubbs who didn't threaten to walk after every 2nd defeat. Same Stubbs who didn't publicly call out his players calling them rejects midway through a season. Same Stubbs who's a hibs legend.

Beefster
Could it be that Dempster used to be a season ticket holder at Ibrox and doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with the Rangers song book.

Holy ****. That’s an outrageous thing to post.

The 90+2
He won SC yes, but people were wanting him out long before then.

No idea on your question, all ifs and buts

They where? He did win us the Scottish Cup and got us to another final and built a very strong squad.

Theoretically speaking mate, do you think Neil Lennon would have built a squad to get us out the championship ahead of huns and hearts? I’ve 100% no doubt he wouldn’t have based on how many points we achieved when we eventually got promoted. Not to mention the inconsistency of the team and formation week in week out for 2 years now.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:28 AM

Ffs 😂😂😂

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Same Alan Stubbs who done more at hibs than Lennon ever has or will. Same Stubbs who built a better squad from 7 players after relegation on a lesser budget than the current manager has with a bigger budget. Same stubbs who didn't threaten to walk after every 2nd defeat. Same Stubbs who didn't publicly call out his players calling them rejects midway through a season. Same Stubbs who's a hibs legend.

✔️

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2018, 09:30 AM

I get you like him, which is fine, the Scottish Cup was the holy grail. He deserves lauded for that, but let's not pretend he was a fantastic manager throughout his reign

Smartie
02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Holy ****. That’s an outrageous thing to post.

A bit controversial maybe but I don't think it is outrageous.

There must be solid reasons behind why our manager and his agent are so candid in the media yet our board don't voice any objections whatsoever.

Keith_M
02-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Hardly surprising. She's a Rangers Fan.

Beefster
A bit controversial maybe but I don't think it is outrageous.

There must be solid reasons behind why our manager and his agent are so candid in the media yet our board don't voice any objections whatsoever.

The post is suggesting, with absolutely no evidence whatsoever, that our CEO thinks sectarian songs are acceptable and, as a result, is willing to put that belief before the welfare of her current employer.

****ing right it’s outrageous.

Baldy Foghorn
They where? He did win us the Scottish Cup and got us to another final and built a very strong squad.

Theoretically speaking mate, do you think Neil Lennon would have built a squad to get us out the championship ahead of huns and hearts? I’ve 100% no doubt he wouldn’t have based on how many points we achieved when we eventually got promoted. Not to mention the inconsistency of the team and formation week in week out for 2 years now.

Theoretically speaking, I can't tell.

He has brought back Kamberi and McLaren, who 99% wanted. It's just not happening at present. Has everyone forgot our European games?

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:33 AM
I get you like him, which is fine, the Scottish Cup was the holy grail. He deserves lauded for that, but let's not pretend he was a fantastic manager throughout his reign

He assisted in completely turning the club around from on its knees. Appointing Stubbs as manager was the most important decision in our modern history imo.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:35 AM

He has brought back Kamberi and McLaren, who 99% wanted. It's just not happening at present. Has everyone forgot our European games?

Ok, fair enough. Yep, Europe was good, it did have McGinn performing brilliantly in they matches though. Just a pity there was no back up plan for the eventuality of him departing. Instead we get s loan signing, another signing Lennon clearly doesn’t fancy.

Keith_M
02-12-2018, 09:37 AM

I loved our European games, but let's be honest, we were hardly up against the cream of European Clubs. The first half decent team we drew, we were out.

I think McGinn left before the Mölde tie and that was it pretty much over. It was noticeable how much poorer we were overall (I know, he would be impossible to replace)

Kojock
02-12-2018, 09:42 AM
The post is suggesting, with absolutely no evidence whatsoever, that our CEO thinks sectarian songs are acceptable and, as a result, is willing to put that belief before the welfare of her current employer.

She also failed to condemn the sectarian abuse directed towards Stubbs at Ibrox, maybe not such a ****ing outrageous comment after all. If she was happy to visit Ibrox and sit and listen to the crap then maybe she doesn’t think that there is a problem with such songs.

Stuart93
02-12-2018, 10:05 AM
More money should’ve been spent on the midfield. Don’t think lennon was backed enough by the board

Smartie
02-12-2018, 10:20 AM

There will be a reason behind our silence.

I tend to go with the career ambitions of Petrie and Dempster being behind the silence, not wanting to burn their bridges by upsetting Budge and the Ibrox hordes.

Someone put forward an alternative, that someone who used to pay their hard-earned to listen to that crap every week isn't actually all that offended by it.

Controversial yes, and to be honest probably incorrect.

Outrageous? No.

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 10:26 AM
She also failed to condemn the sectarian abuse directed towards Stubbs at Ibrox, maybe not such a ****ing outrageous comment after all. If she was happy to visit Ibrox and sit and listen to the crap then maybe she doesn’t think that there is a problem with such songs.
She’s a hun is she not ? Ex season ticket holder according to social media. She won’t go against her own

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 10:26 AM
I might be wrong but I do not think the Board have ever come out with a Statement in support of Neil Lennon in his battle with Depression his various run ins with the SFA or his assertion that sectarianism in Scotland is racism throughout the two years he has been at Easter Road.

It must very isolating and frustrating for him and cannot be pleasant or nice to have coins thrown at you walls emblazoned with the slogan “Hang Neil Lennon” or to receive bullets through the post.

He has hinted or it has been rumoured at least twice now that he may decide to leave even although his public persona is he is happy at Easter Road with the added pressure of a run of poor results I do not think there will be a third time

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 10:27 AM

I tend to go with the career ambitions of Petrie and Dempster being behind the silence, not wanting to burn their bridges by upsetting Budge and the Ibrox hordes.

Someone put forward an alternative, that someone who used to pay their hard-earned to listen to that crap every week isn't actually all that offended by it.

Outrageous? No.
Spot on. Rod never upsets the cosy blazer World. Got to keep things sweet for him becoming president

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Outrageous? No.

Dempster wouldn’t be upset by the personal filth directed at Stubbs and Lennon? Yes it is politically motivated but extremely outrageous to claim that she wouldn’t be offended.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Spot on. Rod never upsets the cosy blazer World. Got to keep things sweet for him becoming president

The stance saved us an awful lot of sanctions after the cup final bear in mind.

Hibs90
02-12-2018, 10:35 AM
She’s a hun is she not ? Ex season ticket holder according to social media. She won’t go against her own

Jesus christ.

SirDavidsNapper
02-12-2018, 10:39 AM
I think the board are quickly losing patience with Lennon after 6 abysmal performances on the bounce and numerous petulant outbursts and threatening to leave.

BroxburnHibee
02-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Pathetic!

According to social media? Must be true then...

We might be poor at the moment but that's probably the worst thing I've read on here for some time.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 10:43 AM
:wtf:

Hun or not recent accounts showed she received a healthy pay rise or was it paid into her pension?

If I was a Hun receiving that sort of wedge I would be a Hibby for life :greengrin

Smartie
02-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Dempster wouldn’t be upset by the personal filth directed at Stubbs and Lennon? Yes it is politically motivated but extremely outrageous to claim that she wouldn’t be offended.

Have you been to Ibrox when Lennon and Stubbs have been our manager?

How many Ibrox season ticket holders do you think were offended by their treatment?

How many of those do you think would start to become offended just because they are the CEO at Hibs?

As I said, I don't think this is the reason behind our silence. I just don't think it is an outrageous suggestion.

There is a cultural acceptance of sectarianism in the West of Scotland, and many who are from there see no problem with spending 90 minutes singing about football managers being fenian *******s.

Carheenlea
02-12-2018, 11:07 AM

Cool post

judas
02-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Yes they are.

Board is an easy target and Lennon will in due course (if we continue to fail on the pitch) drop hints alluding to a lack of support.

It’s always someone else’s fault with Lenny. He’s an expert in distraction tactics.

PatHead
02-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Petrie wants the SFA job and Dempster wants to go to Rangers or another wealthier club.

Until that changes, Hibs' one and only position on anything involving the OF or the footballing authorities in this country will be "dignified silence". They won't say anything that might upset their potential future bosses and Lennon's probably had enough.
Leeann has no interest in the Sevco job. The hassle involved is not worth it in her eyes.

If a job came out down south that may be different though.

It is a disgrace that some posters on here think she finds bigotry acceptable.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Scattegun strikes again. Tiresome. Welcome to post-truth era fuelled by Trumps baffoonery.

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 11:41 AM

Your previous posts made me think it but this one confirms it, you are a clown

The Green Goblin
02-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Celtic watch the pennies and will be missing out on Champions League money this year.

They won't be doing anyone any favours but if they get an opportunity to save a few thousand quid on a player who is clearly never going to be close to their first team then not take it over something so petty, I'd be astonished.

I wouldn’t be, given they bought that player just to spite the huns.

The Green Goblin
02-12-2018, 11:43 AM

You should really delete this.

Diclonius
02-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Leeann has no interest in the Sevco job. The hassle involved is not worth it in her eyes.

If a job came out down south that may be different though.

It is a disgrace that some posters on here think she finds bigotry acceptable.

Fair enough, then the other explanation is Petrie is blocking Leeann from defending our manager.

MWHIBBIES
02-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Hilarious to blame the board. Would a statement supporting him make him not pick such a dreadful lineup yesterday?

The board have been fantastic for 4 years now. Lennon and his players are the ones failing.

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 03:04 PM
You should really delete this.
Why ?