PDA

View Full Version : Can we please pick a formation and best XI and try and stick with it, please?

HibeeHibernian4
01-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Ignoring the other negatives, I want to start a thread focused purely on the football and the tactics (or lack of). I am fed up of the constant chopping and changing to this team. It started with this tinkering against Celtic and we were two goals down within 20 minutes.

I accept that we're going to have injuries that'll make a bit of tinkering inevitable, but not at the rate or extent it's currently happening at. Bottom line is Lennon doesn't seem to know his best team, and that's unacceptable.

We've got a run of games coming thick and fast now for him to find out and stick with them.

we are hibs
01-12-2018, 06:03 PM
I previously wanted 4 4 2

Bogdan

Gray
Efe
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Mallan
Milligan
Horgan

Maclaren
Kamberi

But I'm really unsure about playing Milligan and mallan As a pairing as mallan is like a man short defensively. I'm not convinced by Milligan yet either. I would maybe stick with that and put Bartley in there ahead of one of them.

dalkeith stu
01-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Only constant we have just now is the use of the p*ss poor 3-5-2!!!

Smartie
01-12-2018, 06:07 PM

Bogdan

Gray
Efe
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Mallan
Milligan
Horgan

Maclaren
Kamberi

But I'm really unsure about playing Milligan and mallan As a pairing as mallan is like a man short defensively. I'm not convinced by Milligan yet either. I would maybe stick with that and put Bartley in there ahead of one of them.

There is no combination of any 2 of our midfielders that would not be torn to shreds in the middle of a 4-4-2.

Bogdan

Gray
Efe
Porteous
Nelom

Bartley

Boyle
Milligan
Stevenson
Horgan

Kamberi

No players in howlingly bad form, a sensible formation, Stevenson's energy to attempt to boost the midfield, a bit of pace on the wings, no Boyle up front, Bartley's steel to protect the defence.

If any one player is unavailable you change that 1 player rather than about 6.

CMurdoch
01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Bogdan

Gray
Efe
Porteous
Hanlon

Milligan

Mallan
Slivka
Horgan

MacLaren
Kamberi

This team for midweek

Hibees1973
01-12-2018, 06:11 PM

Bogdan

Gray
Efe
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Mallan
Milligan
Horgan

Maclaren
Kamberi

This is my best XI as well. However, is this a team to dig us out of the hole we are in just now.

Mallan, Horgan and Maclaren are not the type of players who will win a battle for a struggling team. Think we need to find a space for Bartley and hope Gray is fit soon.

it is because we have signed poor players that I can’t come up with any other options.

Diclonius
01-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Right now it feels like the end game in your first time playing Football Manager, where you keep losing and change 5 or 6 players every game because you think that's what will fix it.

HibeeHibernian4
01-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Right now it feels like the end game in your first time playing Football Manager, where you keep losing and change 5 or 6 players every game because you think that's what will fix it.

Bang on. :agree:

SRHibs
01-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Bogdan

Gray
Efe
Porteous
Hanlon

Milligan

Mallan
Slivka
Horgan

MacLaren
Kamberi

This team for midweek

Bogdan
Gray Efe Hanlon Stevenson
Boyle Slivka Milligan Mallan Horgan
Kamberi

Not overly attacking but I feel like we’ve been better when the second forward has been out - excluding today of course.

AgentDaleCooper
01-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Exactly

MWHIBBIES
01-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Anything with Boyle up front is dreadful. It needs to stop. Don't really care who plays because they're all in awful form but god, Boyle up front is just plain wrong.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 07:45 PM

Ah yes.

That sense of hope you get when you think your raft of changes might just be the answer.

Then that sinking feeling you get when you lose the first goal......

J-C
01-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Bogdan
Kamberi

Not overly attacking but I feel like we’ve been better when the second forward has been out - excluding today of course.

My team also, Boyle and Horgan wide to use their pace.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Bogdan
Kamberi

From what I've seen this season the majority of that team picks itself.

The centre of midfield is the sticking point.

It's hard to justify leaving out either Milligan or Mallan, so it is down to whoever you put in there to get the best out of them.

HibeeHibernian4
01-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Anything with Boyle up front is dreadful. It needs to stop. Don't really care who plays because they're all in awful form but god, Boyle up front is just plain wrong.

Boyle playing up top has never worked once and it's mystifying as to why Lennon still tries to persist with it. The man is not a striker and never will be, so use him as a winger and let him play to his own strengths.

lyonhibs
01-12-2018, 09:35 PM
I've said on various threads over the past few months that Marv would be amongst the first names on my team sheet, and now we're seeing why.

gaz1875
01-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Lennon has his favorites players and formation, he plays players out of position rather than play the player best suited.

Speedway
02-12-2018, 04:14 AM
Marciano

SDG
Efe
Daz
Stevenson

Mavrias
Bartley
Slivka
Horgan

MacLaren
Kamberi

we are hibs
02-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Marciano

SDG
Efe
Daz
Stevenson

Mavrias
Bartley
Slivka
Horgan

MacLaren
Kamberi

Gash upfront? You ok? :greengrin

LustForLeith
02-12-2018, 08:12 AM

Well said. Unfortunately we don’t have the ability to switch off and start the season again!

eastcoasthibby
02-12-2018, 08:22 AM
2 up front is the best way but not with the midfield players.we have it leaves us to open and then going with 1up top leaves flo stranded cos too often recently we dont get support up beside him quick enough. Not having hardworking ground covering midfielder is the problem, Slivka is that type but isnt delivering !
Bartley and Milligan play in same position Milligan better in a offensive set up.
NL needs to get a settled team out there if Nelom did well on Saturday, I would play him again give him a run of games, get Hanlon up to speed with another game (if heis fully fit) he is crucial to our balance from the back.
For Wednesday I would go with

Marciano

Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon

Gray
Milligan
Mallan
Nelom

Boyle
Kamberi
Horgan

Keith_M
02-12-2018, 08:43 AM
We set out not to lose at Killie, with six defenders, and lost a goal in the first few minutes.

Maybe best if we don't try that again.

Eyrie
02-12-2018, 09:24 AM
3-5-2 isn't working and we don't have the right players in the midfield for 4-4-2. So I'd look at 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 depending on how deep Mallan is played.

Bogdan
Gray-Ambrose-Hanlon-Stevenson
Miiligan-Bartley
Boyle-Mallan-Horgan
Kamberi

Speedway
02-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Gash upfront? You ok? :greengrin

Look at the alternatives 😳

HIGHLANDLEITHER
02-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Ignoring the other negatives, I want to start a thread focused purely on the football and the tactics (or lack of). I am fed up of the constant chopping and changing to this team. It started with this tinkering against Celtic and we were two goals down within 20 minutes.

I accept that we're going to have injuries that'll make a bit of tinkering inevitable, but not at the rate or extent it's currently happening at. Bottom line is Lennon doesn't seem to know his best team, and that's unacceptable.

We've got a run of games coming thick and fast now for him to find out and stick with them.

Totally agree , everybody has a view of who should be in the team but players need to know what their role is. They form partnerships on the pitch and that is not happening at present. Injuries and absence have played a big part but I think if players are more settled in their roles on the pitch we will see results improve.

Diclonius
02-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Bogdan

Gray/Ambrose Ambrose/Porteous Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle Mallan Milligan Horgan

Maclaren Kamberi

Our best players in their best positions. Continue playing this until we get a win. It's not rocket science.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-12-2018, 10:59 PM
GK: Bogdan

RB: Gray
CB: Ambrose
CB: Hanlon
LB: Stevenson

CDM: Milligan
RM: Boyle
LM: Horgan
CAM: Mallan

ST: Kamberi
ST: MacLaren

The_Horde
02-12-2018, 11:14 PM
No, we haven't been able to due to injuries.

We last did it in the run up to the Hamilton game.

We're so short of bodies we've got injured players filling places on our bench.

The_Horde
02-12-2018, 11:15 PM
3-5-2 isn't working and we don't have the right players in the midfield for 4-4-2. So I'd look at 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 depending on how deep Mallan is played.

Bogdan
Gray-Ambrose-Hanlon-Stevenson
Miiligan-Bartley
Boyle-Mallan-Horgan
Kamberi

Mallan is poor behind the strikers. Not his game.

Unseen work
03-12-2018, 01:23 AM
...................Bogdan..............

Gray.....Efe.......Porteous.....Stevenson....

..........Milligan.....Bartley...............

Boyle..........Mallan..........Horgan...

...............Kamberi........

For me Mcgregor and Hanlon have been poor since they’ve returned to injury and have cost us a couple of goals. Porteous has done alright and is a much bigger goal threat than the other two.

Bartley and Milligan sit and break up play as we’re constantly getting overrun in the middle of the park and conceding cheap goals.

Boyle and Horgan high and wide taking on defenders and staying close to flo.

Mallan to create, 1-2’s with Flo and shots on target.

Imo that team has a good balance to it and should be more than capable of keeping clean sheets, would also be confident of us scoring.

EH54
03-12-2018, 05:51 AM

Gray.....Efe.......Hanlon.....Stevenson....

..................Milligan....................

........Slivka..............Mallan.........

...................Boyle........................

........Kamberi........Maclaren......

DoubleDangerous
03-12-2018, 08:10 AM
I think everyone agrees that we don't have the personnel for the 352 anymore.

We thump Hamilton with a tight 442 diamond, and have never used it again!

Baffling.

Iain G
03-12-2018, 08:18 AM

Gray.....Efe.......Hanlon.....Stevenson....

..................Milligan....................

........Slivka..............Mallan.........

...................Boyle........................

........Kamberi........Maclaren......

Yup, though with Boyle on the wings, switching between the two as required. Or swap him out for one if our other two wingers.

We have an imbalanced squad and Neil has to decide on a base formation, way of playing, and making sure the players play in their best positions.

Brightside
03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
451 for me.

Boyle and Horgan out wide. allowing them to get up and support Kamberi.

Slivka Milligan Mallan in the middle.

Back four depends on Gray being fit... if not play Efe at RB.

J-C
03-12-2018, 10:32 AM
451 for me.

This

calumhibee1
03-12-2018, 10:42 AM
451 for me.

I don’t rate Slivka but I agree he should be given a go. He’s the only proper centre midfielder we have.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 11:40 AM
I don’t rate Slivka but I agree he should be given a go. He’s the only proper centre midfielder we have.

What is Slivkas best position?

Serious question

Smartie
03-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Serious question

He's a central midfielder who has generally always played well enough there, I can't remember him having any stinkers and can remember him having a few very good games.

He's been pish every time he's been played out wide, and in my opinion cannot be classed as a wide midfielder.

BILLYHIBS
03-12-2018, 11:59 AM
He's a central midfielder who has generally always played well enough there, I can't remember him having any stinkers and can remember him having a few very good games.

He's been pish every time he's been played out wide, and in my opinion cannot be classed as a wide midfielder.
Was not trying to be wide but found myself genuinely scratching my head when I asked myself the same question. I tend to think of him as a right sided midfielder rather than central but if it is central central it is He has chipped in with a few valuable goals in big games but always flatters to deceive I wonder if he or even Lenny know his best position? I remember him being outstanding versus Hamilton home and away at Dundee

Joe6-2
03-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Only constant we have just now is the use of the p*ss poor 3-5-2!!!

That should never rear it's head again!

Brightside
03-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Serious question

Centre Mid. At the moment half the players dont know what their jobs are.

HibeeHibernian4
03-12-2018, 01:30 PM
451 for me.

Somebody go and nail this to the doors at East Mains so Lennon reads it. Spot on.

GreenProfessor
03-12-2018, 05:50 PM
451 for me.

This all day long. Boyle and Horgan playing in their natural positions giving us width and 3 in midfield to protect. I think we need to use McLaren later in games unfortunately and not as a front 2 until we sort hopefully sort out midfield in January. Then back to 442 or 352....

calumhibee1
03-12-2018, 05:51 PM

Serious question

Centre mid I’d say. Not in the hole behind the forwards or sitting in front of the back 4 but playing more box to box. Like I said though, I’m not sure he’s up to the standard.

Stuart93
03-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Was wondering how killie have managed to build such a good side on a lower budget, put together a good team

Bobby's Cinema
03-12-2018, 10:29 PM
I've said on various threads over the past few months that Marv would be amongst the first names on my team sheet, and now we're seeing why.
100% agree. And I’d give him the armband