PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for a great two seasons Neil but your heart doesn't seem to be in it any more

G B Young
01-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Whether something has happened behind the scenes, whether what happened at Tynecastle has affected his appetite for the game, or whether he genuinely feels he can't take Hibs any further I don't know but the sense that Lennon's winning mentality will always keep us competitive has slipped away over the last few weeks.

The 'glass ceiling' stuff struck me as nonsense. There's no reason Hibs shouldn't continue to progress and I wondered if he was reflecting more on whether his own desire for the job of keeping us on an upward trajectory remains what it was.

I don't think we can continue to shrug this off as just a bad run of form. It carries uncomfortable echoes of the Butcher/Fenlon performances and we all know how that ended up. If Lennon feels unable to do the job to the best of his ability then, much as I've been a big fan of having him as Hibs boss, the club would be better seek a parting of the ways sooner rather than later.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Whether something has happened behind the scenes, whether what happened at Tynecastle has affected his appetite for the game, or whether he genuinely feels he can't take Hibs any further I don't know but the sense that Lennon's winning mentality will always keep us competitive has slipped away over the last few weeks.

The 'glass ceiling' stuff struck me as nonsense. There's no reason Hibs shouldn't continue to progress and I wondered if he was reflecting more on whether his own desire for the job of keeping us on an upward trajectory remains what it was.

I don't think we can continue to shrug this off as just a bad run of form. It carries uncomfortable echoes of the Butcher/Fenlon performances and we all know how that ended up. If Lennon feels unable to do the job to the best of his ability then, much as I've been a big fan of having him as Hibs boss, the club would be better seek a parting of the ways sooner rather than later.

That's because it was. He didn't say it.

Lemonade
01-12-2018, 06:25 PM
I hate the internet

Callum_62
01-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Go listen to the interview instead of taking sensationalised press reports as gospel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverhibee
01-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Not like you to be putting the boot in

Iggy Pope
01-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Do yourself, all of us, a favour and delete your thread.
There’s already about a dozen threads and a poll on the subject.

Tedious attention seeking claptrap.

Edit. There are TWO ****ing polls on the subject.

cabbageandribs1875
01-12-2018, 06:33 PM

this, all of it

BH Hibs
01-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Well said mate.

chrisski33
01-12-2018, 06:40 PM

Away and stick ur head down the loo as your talking crap

pacoluna
01-12-2018, 06:42 PM

G B union jack is full of *****.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 06:45 PM

The Pope is infallible. It's doctrine. And even more infallible than usual with this post.

HibeeHibernian4
01-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Okay, so he didn't say the glass ceiling comment, he replied 'possibly' when asked the question.

That's fair enough, and it's a disservice to him that posters are saying otherwise.

However, take the journalist's remark for a second, we've not hit a glass ceiling. Aberdeen finishing second four seasons on the bounce could be described as a glass ceiling. We've had one good season on our return to the top flight, and we have now slid alarmingly down the table to 8th.

If we were in fourth again and looking unlikely to get any higher, then sure, you could argue 'glass ceiling', but it's just not the case. What we need to address is why we're 8th not 4th, instead of why we're 2nd not 4th.

G B Young
01-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Happy for the thread to be merged with the others but I don't think my concerns are claptrap.

I've seen this kind of slump from Hibs countless times down the decades and I think the signs are there with every passing game that it's more than simply a blip. What has characterised Lennon's tenure until now has been the way he has dealt assuredly and impressively with any wobbles in our form. I'm not getting that this time and because of that I'm questioning whether there's something not quite right with his mindset. IMHO he's too good a manager and too much of a winner for this to be attributed solely to him working with a weaker squad than last season.

Happy to be proved wrong and equally happy to acknowledge I was talking claptrap if so, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lennon is considering his future at Hibs this weekend.

Hi Heid Yin
01-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Admins:
This is 7 threads now on Neil Lennon.
Can we please merge them all.
Cheers

hibbydog
01-12-2018, 08:24 PM
I agree with the OP. Whether it merits another thread is questionable, but we should at least respect the point being made.

I’d love to be wrong, but the point about Lennons appetite for the job is a valid one and the signs are not good.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Happy for the thread to be merged with the others but I don't think my concerns are claptrap.

I've seen this kind of slump from Hibs countless times down the decades and I think the signs are there with every passing game that it's more than simply a blip. What has characterised Lennon's tenure until now has been the way he has dealt assuredly and impressively with any wobbles in our form. I'm not getting that this time and because of that I'm questioning whether there's something not quite right with his mindset. IMHO he's too good a manager and too much of a winner for this to be attributed solely to him working with a weaker squad than last season.

Happy to be proved wrong and equally happy to acknowledge I was talking claptrap if so, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lennon is considering his future at Hibs this weekend.

He has dealt well enough with the wobbles to have our support as he faces our first bigger bump in a long time.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 08:34 PM
I agree with the OP. Whether it merits another thread is questionable, but we should at least respect the point being made.

I’d love to be wrong, but the point about Lennons appetite for the job is a valid one and the signs are not good.

What are the signs that Lennon's appetite is any different to normal?

I watched his interview and didn't see or hear anything to be concerned about.

He's under a bit of pressure and is the manager of a team in a poor run of form. That affects your body language. I've not been impressed with our recent team selections or our summer transfer business but we shouldn't be looking for problems that don't exist.

If there's one thing you'd want in a position like this it would be man with Neil Lennon's appetite and attitude at the helm.

hibbydog
01-12-2018, 09:16 PM
What are the signs that Lennon's appetite is any different to normal?

I watched his interview and didn't see or hear anything to be concerned about.

He's under a bit of pressure and is the manager of a team in a poor run of form. That affects your body language. I've not been impressed with our recent team selections or our summer transfer business but we shouldn't be looking for problems that don't exist.

If there's one thing you'd want in a position like this it would be man with Neil Lennon's appetite and attitude at the helm.

Last two times following poor performances and results at Tynecastle he’s said that he’ll consider his position.

I don’t blame him, but between that and admitting we might have hit a glass
Ceiling it’s hardly fighting talk.

100% commitment and passion are the minimum we should expect, and we deserve better than someone who can’t be arsed.

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Admins:
This is 7 threads now on Neil Lennon.
Can we please merge them all.
Cheers

Why? They are all making different points and asking different questions. You may not like that many questions are now being asked but at least it shows a lot of the support are actually asking questions rather than blindly follow regardless.

Crab apple
01-12-2018, 09:26 PM
You're entitled to your opinion but there's no evidence to suggest Lennon's heart isn't in it any more. He seemed pretty up for it at Tincastle a few weeks ago. We lost a quality midfield last year (probably the best in Scotland) and understandably haven't been able to replace it. Where questions should be asked is why we didn't sign Scott Allan and a big target man. Many said as much before the season started and it's becoming more and more obvious that we're lacking big time here.

Hi Heid Yin
01-12-2018, 09:30 PM
Why? They are all making different points and asking different questions. You may not like that many questions are now being asked but at least it shows a lot of the support are actually asking questions rather than blindly follow regardless.

There are overlaps in all the Lennon threads, so merging all but the poll threads would make sense.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 09:33 PM
Last two times following poor performances and results at Tynecastle he’s said that he’ll consider his position.

100% commitment and passion are the minimum we should expect, and we deserve better than someone who can’t be arsed.

Where is the evidence that we're not getting the bare minimum of 100% commitment and passion?

I wouldn't have liked to have been a Hibs player going in to face Lennon at HT today.

Did you watch his interview or go with the STV interpretation of it?

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Lennon said we’ve hit a plateau. That was his words.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 10:09 PM

Did you watch the interview?

Did you understand the context?

Onion
01-12-2018, 10:39 PM

So reasonable to ask why should the players should bust a gut for him ? He's basically telling them he's going to chuck it and that they've reached the height of their ability as a group and the only way is down.

It's almost as bad as Calderdud's sweetie bag comment in terms of motivation. Truly selfish and amateur.

Onion
01-12-2018, 10:41 PM

But forgot to mention the precipice !

pacoluna
01-12-2018, 11:08 PM

A lot of support? What the same regular posters on this forum..

The majority of supporters aren't on this forum.

Lago
01-12-2018, 11:20 PM
So reasonable to ask why should the players should bust a gut for him ? He's basically telling them he's going to chuck it and that they've reached the height of their ability as a group and the only way is down.

It's almost as bad as Calderdud's sweetie bag comment in terms of motivation. Truly selfish and amateur.

This

calumhibee1
01-12-2018, 11:36 PM
A lot of support? What the same regular posters on this forum..

The majority of supporters aren't on this forum.

And the majority of supporters I know that don’t post here are asking the same questions. Burrying our heads in the sand and pretending it’s a small band of supporters questioning him is no help to anyone.

pacoluna
01-12-2018, 11:52 PM
And the majority of supporters I know that don’t post here are asking the same questions. Burrying our heads in the sand and pretending it’s a small band of supporters questioning him is no help to anyone.

I've literally heard nothing from anyone at games, pubs nor anywhere other than this place question whether Neil Lennon should go or not. To say the majority of supporters are is absolute nonsense.

SaulGoodman
02-12-2018, 02:05 AM
Not sure OP needs this abuse

DetroitHibs
02-12-2018, 02:13 AM
I think Neil put a lot of thought in the glass ceiling comment. A glass ceiling can be broken and breached, we just need the resources to do it.

DetroitHibs
02-12-2018, 02:15 AM

Agree. It's fine to devote, but so many people make it personal. Report button is handy.

Hi Heid Yin
02-12-2018, 02:39 AM
You're a prick, **** off.

A more diplomatic response would have been more appropriate.
This is nothing but personal abuse.

silverhibee
02-12-2018, 02:53 AM

Every week he starts a pishy thread slating everything Hibs, he's fare game with the amount of pish he slavers.

DetroitHibs
02-12-2018, 02:59 AM
Every week he starts a pishy thread slating everything Hibs, he's fare game with the amount of pish he slavers.

So anyone here I disagree with is fair game for abuse? What happened to well thought out debates and talking.

hibbydog
02-12-2018, 03:00 AM

Still. Maybe better to offer reasoned argument on what he is saying rather than the personal abuse. Go after the ball, not the player, ken?

Some pretty poor stuff on this thread.

silverhibee
02-12-2018, 03:03 AM
So anyone here I disagree with is fair game for abuse? What happened to well thought out debates and talking.

Debates with the op, no chance, he can't wait to stick the boot in after a game then piss off and not contribute to the thread, and it doesn't matter if we win or lose he will start some pishy thread having a go at something about Hibs.

silverhibee
02-12-2018, 03:05 AM
Still. Maybe better to offer reasoned argument on what he is saying rather than the personal abuse. Go after the ball, not the player, ken?

Some pretty poor stuff on this thread.

Go back and see the threads he starts, all negative, the guys a slaver.

WeeRussell
02-12-2018, 03:07 AM

It’s refreshing. At least it’s not Scotland he’s slagging ;)

hibbydog
02-12-2018, 03:18 AM

I’m taking the moral high ground.

Scoff scoff 🤓

JohnM1875
02-12-2018, 03:22 AM
I hate the internet

Same man.

Tornadoes70
02-12-2018, 03:25 AM
It’s refreshing. At least it’s not Scotland he’s slagging ;)

You're always so bitter and slagging off those who have a differing political opinion. You never seem to have any opposing positive points to make. God help us all if folk like you ever get into positions of power.

:confused:

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2018, 05:43 AM

Ah yeah Words are important. So are the others around it and the follow up clarification the following days. Talk about setting hares running...

Baldy Foghorn
02-12-2018, 08:35 AM
How does OP come to conclusion NL's heart isn't in it?

Springbank
02-12-2018, 09:23 AM

cant speak for the OP but every time we play hearts or rangers lennon ends up talking about resigning as our manager.

every. time.

Hibs should ban lennon from média duties til january so he can focus on the day job.

we are underachieving

Allez Hibs
02-12-2018, 09:35 AM
cant speak for the OP but every time we play hearts or rangers lennon ends up talking about resigning as our manager.

every. time.

Hibs should ban lennon from média duties til january so he can focus on the day job.

we are underachieving

That is spot on. Some of his comments since before the Celtic game have been very bizarre. Saying he's angered by talk of a title challenge and then saying he's working with free transfers and rejects. Does he not have the biggest budget ever? About time he shows more respect to Hibs and the fans.

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2018, 09:43 AM
If i was not a Hibs supporter, this place would be a great laugh. Its become a site that every person who's unhappy at the recent results, try's his best to make a more horrendous post than the last one. :faf:

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 09:44 AM
If i was not a Hibs supporter, this place would be a great laugh. Its become a site that every person who's unhappy at the recent results, try's his best to make a more horrendous post than the last one. :faf:

Yup. Some of it is completely barking.

Hibrandenburg
02-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Do the Hearts have a game today? Hopefully things will quieten down a bit later.

Beefster
02-12-2018, 10:00 AM

every. time.

we are underachieving

The bit in bold is just utter horse****. Unless you can link to 10 threats to resign.

stoneyburn hibs
02-12-2018, 11:00 AM
A more diplomatic response would have been more appropriate.
This is nothing but personal abuse.

Correct, I was out of order.
Apologies to GB Young.

flash
02-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Big game for your lot today.

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Do the Hearts have a game today? Hopefully things will quieten down a bit later.

:agree:

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
The bit in bold is just utter horse****. Unless you can link to 10 threats to resign.

Can't wait for the deflective response to this.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2018, 11:35 AM

Absolutely. Trump has really inspired people to take spouting pish to levels never seen before.
Mission accomplished we really do live in more decisive times imo (or maybe that’s just my flavour of pish talking ;))

SirDavidsNapper
02-12-2018, 11:35 AM
So far in his tenure he's had to "reconsider is position" after a breakdown at Tynecastle, been keen to speak to the SFA about the Scotland job, not ruled out a Celtic return, acted like a clown at Tynecastle again, sent his assistant out to explain yet another insipid performance, spoken about glass ceilings to cover for his abysmal signings... im quickly losing patience in all honesty. Some people are so far up his arse it's frightening. It's not good enough. If he wasn't Neil Lennon he'd be gone already. We got all upset about Calderwood talking about a bag of sweets as well....

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Yip! The Cabaret starts in five 😂
Lazarus Berra makes his comeback

Lemonade
02-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Where’s the OP :dunno:

One Day Soon
02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
So far in his tenure he's had to "reconsider is position" after a breakdown at Tynecastle, been keen to speak to the SFA about the Scotland job, not ruled out a Celtic return, acted like a clown at Tynecastle again, sent his assistant out to explain yet another insipid performance, spoken about glass ceilings to cover for his abysmal signings... im quickly losing patience in all honesty. Some people are so far up his arse it's frightening. It's not good enough. If he wasn't Neil Lennon he'd be gone already. We got all upset about Calderwood talking about a bag of sweets as well....

Reconsidering position after 'breakdown' at Tynecastle:

“We threw it away. Unprofessional. Not good enough,” fumed Lennon, unhappy that his players failed to heed his pre-match advice. “We look like we’re going to finish fourth, which is unacceptable to me.

“I will be considering my position over the summer. Just in general. I know my own personal aims and ambitions and I can’t watch that in derbies. It’s not good enough. I don’t know. We’ve got a board meeting next week. So we’ll see.”

Can't see much wrong with that. A rocket for players and Board.

Scotland job:
"I'm not speaking from a personal point of view, but it's a great job," said the 46-year-old former Celtic boss.

"If an approach comes, and it's a huge if, then we will deal with it accordingly but until then there's no further comment," the Hibs boss added.
"It's very flattering from someone of Brendan's stature in the game and I appreciate the sentiment, but I am the Hibs manager."

Diplomatic and certainly not a 'come and get me'.

Celtic return:
Cannot find any comments from Lennon regarding a Celtic return

acted like a clown at Tynecastle again:
Protracted sectarian abuse and then coined. What exactly did he do wrong? And when you say 'again', when did he act like a clown the first time?

sent his assistant out to explain yet another insipid performance:
Are we judging managers by the number of their post match media appearances now? How often did Sir Alex stay in the dressing room when he wasn't happy with players and send someone like Carlos Queiroz out instead. Does that mean Sir Alex was mince?

spoken about glass ceilings to cover for his abysmal signings:
A term put to him by STV, to which his answer was 'maybe'. In fact a listen to the full length interview shows a balanced and thoughtful analysis which is quite positive.

There are legitimate criticisms to be made of Lennon but pretty much none of them are in what you have posted judging by the evidence.

One of the very many differences between him and Calderwood is that Lennon can point to an overall record that has been very good and some excellent periods like our long home unbeaten run. Calderwood was just pish from the get go.

He may stay or he may go but if it is because of a bad six game run then we would be behaving like the worst of impatient short-termist supports and clubs, particularly given what has preceded this in his time as manager.

Ultimately what matters here is Hibernian. We are barely into the redevelopment of our squad at a stage not even half way through our second season back in the top league. That redevelopment is a four or five year project, at least. In some respects we are paying the price now of over achieving in our first season back. Unless he crashes and burns - which he has not yet done - the notion of getting rid of him now is a back to square one move which would be bad for the team, the squad and the club.

G B Young
02-12-2018, 12:38 PM

It's not a conclusion, merely an opinion based on a few observations.

It's noticeable that he's eased up a lot on criticising the players. It was something he previously had little hesitation in doing when a performance wasn't up to scratch, and while that was something he was criticised for in some quarters, it generally sparked the desired response ie an improvement in standards for the next game. It was a character trait that seemed to work for him and his players. Of late, comments like not being worried by our form, just 'frustrated', that we're just going through a 'phase' and that we've hit a bit of a 'plateau' have been very un-Lennon like and instead of improved performances we're seeing them get worse by the week.

Of course, it could be that the reason he's not openly critical of the players is because he feels the majority of the blame for this run of form lies at his door. His wildly fluctuating team selections could be seen as reflective of a manager who isn't sure how to get us out of this slump. However, I rate Lennon too highly to believe he's become an overnight dud. It's also incumbent on him to continue to do well at Hibs if he harbours ambitions of a return to a bigger stage. Hence my speculation that something, be that issues behind the scences, or (more likely in my view) a reassessment of his position following what happened at Tynecastle (the second time he's been assaulted at that ground) and the associated sectarian baggage.

I would also suggest it's possible that he's been unwell, in which case he has my every sympathy and I hope his zest for the job is ultimately unaffected.

As I say, it's only my opinion and it may (hopefully) turn out to be utter nonsense.

Pete
02-12-2018, 12:45 PM

It's noticeable that he's eased up a lot on criticising the players. It was something he previously had little hesitation in doing when a performance wasn't up to scratch, and while that was something he was criticised for in some quarters, it generally sparked the desired response ie an improvement in standards for the next game. It was a character trait that seemed to work for him and his players. Of late, comments like not being worried by our form, just 'frustrated', that we're just going through a 'phase' and that we've hit a bit of a 'plateau' have been very un-Lennon like and instead of improved performances we're seeing them get worse by the week.

Of course, it could be that the reason he's not openly critical of the players is because he feels the majority of the blame for this run of form lies at his door. His wildly fluctuating team selections could be seen as reflective of a manager who isn't sure how to get us out of this slump. However, I rate Lennon too highly to believe he's become an overnight dud. It's also incumbent on him to continue to do well at Hibs if he harbours ambitions of a return to a bigger stage. Hence my speculation that something, be that issues behind the scences, or (more likely in my view) a reassessment of his position following what happened at Tynecastle (the second time he's been assaulted at that ground) and the associated sectarian baggage.

I would also suggest it's possible that he's been unwell, in which case he has my every sympathy and I hope his zest for the job is ultimately unaffected.

As I say, it's only my opinion and it may (hopefully) turn out to be utter nonsense.

Agree with your last paragraph. Something is not right in my opinion.

Hi Heid Yin
02-12-2018, 09:11 PM

I stressed in another post that Neil suffers from depression and suggested that perhaps he is going through one of those lows associated with it. This might in fact account for his behaviour and impacted his job in getting the best out of his players this past month or so. Certainly the line ups and tactics have in some cases been baffling.

WeeRussell
02-12-2018, 09:26 PM
You're always so bitter and slagging off those who have a differing political opinion. You never seem to have any opposing positive points to make. God help us all if folk like you ever get into positions of power.

:confused:

Not sure if you’ve got me confused with someone else but I rarely give a political opinion on here. My point was based purely on his anti-Scottish national team sentiments which are loud and clear every time we play a national game. Moreover I’m actually a fairly positive poster when it comes to hibs and hibs.net. Although I’m flattered you seem to think you’ve tracked my posts, if you did the same for said poster I think you’d see who the negative one is.

And fear not - I have no plans to get in any powerful positions :)

Tornadoes70
02-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Not sure if you’ve got me confused with someone else but I rarely give a political opinion on here. My point was based purely on his anti-Scottish national team sentiments which are loud and clear every time we play a national game. Moreover I’m actually a fairly positive poster when it comes to hibs and hibs.net. Although I’m flattered you seem to think you’ve tracked my posts, if you did the same for said poster I think you’d see who the negative one is.

And fear not - I have no plans to get in any powerful positions :)

Sorry WeeRussell!

Turns out I have mixed you up with an entirely different poster altogether.

Apologies.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

WeeRussell
02-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Sorry WeeRussell!

Turns out I have mixed you up with an entirely different poster altogether.

Apologies.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

No problem at all mate, I’m also relieved to hear that haha.

I still won’t be seeking any political positions though :)

WhileTheChief..
02-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Every week the OP posts a thread more ludicrous than the previous week. Tiresome.

Stuart93
02-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Bring back John collins

Tornadoes70
02-12-2018, 10:12 PM
No problem at all mate, I’m also relieved to hear that haha.

I still won’t be seeking any political positions though :)

:thumbsup:

Mon the Cabbage!!!