PDA

View Full Version : George Craig

cleanyman
01-12-2018, 04:26 PM
What does this joker do ?

CallumLaidlaw
01-12-2018, 04:29 PM

So a guy that’s been continuously praised by people around Hibs is now getting abuse cos of 6 bad games? We really do use the machine gun approach to blame folk these days [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanyman
01-12-2018, 04:30 PM
So a guy that’s been continuously praised by people around Hibs is now getting abuse cos of 6 bad games? We really do use the machine gun approach to blame folk these days [emoji23]

But what does he do ?

R'Albin
He has signed some excellent players over the years he has been here. We are lacking in certain areas this season but the reason for the current slump isn't the squad, it is that Lennon isn't currently getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

murray26
But what does he do ?

It’s a fair question if you ask me..

CallumLaidlaw
01-12-2018, 04:31 PM
But what does he do ?

Why is he a “joker” if you don’t know what he does?

we are hibs
01-12-2018, 04:31 PM
He has signed some excellent players over the years he has been here. We are lacking in certain areas this season but the reason for the current slump isn't the squad, it is that Lennon isn't currently getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

Isn't it Graeme Mathie who finds the players?

flash
01-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Surely this Hertz clown isn't getting to start another 12 page thread?

oneone73
01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Right, that's it, I'm out. This place is mental.

cleanyman
01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Why is he a “joker” if you don’t know what he does?

Well neither do you because you cannae tell me what he does ?

So..what does he do ?

we are hibs
01-12-2018, 04:34 PM

Must.call.people.hearts.fans.

Beefster
He’s Head of Football Operations.

You’re welcome.

cleanyman
He’s Head of Football Operations.

You’re welcome.

Thank you

CallumLaidlaw
Well neither do you because you cannae tell me what he does ?

So..what does he do ?

I do actually. Met him through Hibs.net a few times at the training centre and always been very impressed with him.

Might be worth having a read at this -

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-director-of-football-george-craig-gives-insight-into-role-1-4559591/amp

R'Albin
01-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Isn't it Graeme Mathie who finds the players?

Okay well I blame George Craig then, whatever it is he is doing he is doing it wrong :greengrin

Tobias Funke
Must.call.people.hearts.fans.

Well he does come across as a bit of a Hearts **** though doesn’t he?

cleanyman
I do actually. Met him through Hibs.net a few times at the training centre and always been very impressed with him.

Might be worth having a read at this -

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-director-of-football-george-craig-gives-insight-into-role-1-4559591/amp

I remember watching a 20 minute video online where he's talking about player recruitment

That's went well eh

01-12-2018, 04:36 PM
George Craig didn’t pick that mental starting line up.

hhibs
01-12-2018, 04:36 PM
But what does he do ?

I do think we need to ask just what our " backroom" staff are actually adding to the betterment of Hibs.

Clearly I mean this "backroom" staff rather than one which could add to our club.

CallumLaidlaw
01-12-2018, 04:37 PM
I remember watching a 20 minute video online where he's talking about player recruitment

That's went well eh

Bearing in mind he’s been at the club since 2014 which saw us start from scratch, win the Scottish cup then finish with (I think) our record premiership points tally last season, I’d say, overall, yes it has.

Jones28
01-12-2018, 04:37 PM

That's went well eh

Boring

cleanyman
01-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Bearing in mind he’s been at the club since 2014 which saw us start from scratch, win the Scottish cup then finish with (I think) our record premiership points tally last season, I’d say, overall, yes it has.

Fair enough

But what's happened this season ?

PatHead
01-12-2018, 04:38 PM
George Craig is in effect Director of footballing matters. He created and is responsible for the structure from first team down to all levels below. This involves recruitment and management of coaches. Sure he is responsible for East Mains as well.

Scottie
01-12-2018, 04:39 PM
:tee hee:

CallumLaidlaw
01-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Fair enough

But what's happened this season ?

We’ve had a run of 6 bad games and don’t look great. But maybe that’ll change in the January window. I take it the quickness of your replies mean you didn’t actually read that article which answered the question you started the thread with. Which means you were just trolling. [emoji108]

Danderhall Hibs
01-12-2018, 04:42 PM

That's went well eh

Did you forget what he said in the 20 minute video?

Austinho
01-12-2018, 04:53 PM
We have capable individuals, and all the signings have excellent pedigree on paper. It’s now December and we still haven’t fielded a settled line up, and Lennon still doesn’t know his best team. I think this side could do well with a more motivated manager, as it’s shown glimpses of greatness in games v Hamilton, Aberdeen in the Cup etc.

The blame IMO lies in failing to bring in a striker, and taking an absolute eternity to get bring players in during the summer. Is that partly George’s fault, or is he just there to identify the players for Lennon and Dempster?

CallumLaidlaw
01-12-2018, 04:55 PM
We have capable individuals, and all the signings have excellent pedigree on paper. It’s now December and we still haven’t fielded a settled line up, and Lennon still doesn’t know his best team. I think this side could do well with a more motivated manager, as it’s shown glimpses of greatness in games v Hamilton, Aberdeen in the Cup etc.

The blame IMO lies in failing to bring in a striker, and taking an absolute eternity to get bring players in during the summer. Is that partly George’s fault, or is he just there to identify the players for Lennon and Dempster?

GC doesn’t make decisions on any players. Graeme Mathie is head of recruitment. Craig is more the middle man to link all the football departments together.

judas
01-12-2018, 04:55 PM
It’s a fair question if you ask me..

Is prefacing the question by calling him a joker fair?

Keith_M
01-12-2018, 04:56 PM

I'm confused, are you referring to yourself?

:dunno:

Speedway
01-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Sack him and get Alex Miller in.

(It’s a ‘just post anything’ thread this one, aye?)

banchoryhibs
01-12-2018, 05:03 PM
George is Leeann's right hand man, they arrived at the same time and he has been pivotal in the restructuring of our club from top to bottom. He is very passionate about his work and is an excellent motivator. I've no doubt that he will be working twice as hard to make sure that we get out of this slump.

What's happening just now is definitely not great but cast your mind back to the Butcher days and relegation - Leeann and George's work means that those really dark days are well behind us.

What I do know is that the club is infinitely better run now that it has been in the past.

A Hi-Bee
01-12-2018, 05:05 PM

Aye right if he was to come back I would never go near E.R. again, it was bad enough last time, way to long bad enough.

A Hi-Bee
01-12-2018, 05:06 PM
George is Leeann's right hand man, they arrived at the same time and he has been pivotal in the restructuring of our club from top to bottom. He is very passionate about his work and is an excellent motivator. I've no doubt that he will be working twice as hard to make sure that we get out of this slump.

What's happening just now is definitely not great but cast your mind back to the Butcher days and relegation - Leeann and George's work means that those really dark days are well behind us.

What I do know is that the club is infinitely better run now that it has been in the past.

Better run perhaps but its results and the team on the park that matter, anyone at a football club is only as good as their last few games, is that no the way it works.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Aye right if he was to come back I would never go near E.R. again, it was bad enough last time, way to long bad enough.

This. Place. Is. Mental.

PatHead
01-12-2018, 05:07 PM

Whoosh moment.

A Hi-Bee
01-12-2018, 05:08 PM
This. Place. Is. Mental.

Aye Mental Hibees them wiz good days an bad days.

Beefster
01-12-2018, 05:08 PM
This. Place. Is. Mental.

Like I would be if we bring Mogadon Miller back. Not in my name.

Dancehibs
01-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Slavers rubbish. Board puppet

J-C
01-12-2018, 05:11 PM

Really not hard to find out if you just used the grey matter

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/pages/clubdirectory

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Like I would be if we bring Mogadon Miller back. Not in my name.

I don't think even that poster was serious in his suggestion. Surely?

Beefster
01-12-2018, 05:15 PM
I don't think even that poster was serious in his suggestion. Surely?

Why even mention it then? Days of flashbacks and nightmares because one inconsiderate just posted some frippery.

J-C
01-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Although Craig and Mathie do a lot of the hard work with Leeann, it's still down to Lennon who we sign, we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes, what happens if Lennon rejects 2-3 good players and takes 2-3 very average ones, not down to Craig, they can only recommend the players they've scouted.

cabbage_88
01-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Laughable thread, pathetic

banchoryhibs
01-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Better run perhaps but its results and the team on the park that matter, anyone at a football club is only as good as their last few games, is that no the way it works.

No it's not, all clubs have ups and downs; the best run clubs have more ups than downs.

Just because there's a slump does not mean we need wholesale change - that would simply be ridiculous.

We need the first team management to get it right - starting on Wednesday night.

matty_f
01-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Wondering whether it's even worth keeping this thread open.

B.H.F.C
01-12-2018, 05:50 PM

Recruitment was horrific. The guy that heads that all up is being criticised. I think it’s something that can be debated.

CallumLaidlaw
01-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Recruitment was horrific. The guy that heads that all up is being criticised. I think it’s something that can be debated.

GC isn’t head of recruitment.

flash
01-12-2018, 05:52 PM

Wonder if it's worth keeping the whole forum open tonight. It's infested.

B.H.F.C
01-12-2018, 05:53 PM
GC isn’t head of recruitment.

Head of football operations. The head of recruitment reports to him.

Moody Blues
01-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Its like a blame game on here tonight, I blame Tam McCourt or yon lassie that brings the bairns on to take shots a the Happy Hibee guy.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Why even mention it then? Days of flashbacks and nightmares because one inconsiderate just posted some frippery.

:agree: It seemed to go on for a lifetime. Some of the hairstyles were coiffure war crimes too.

CallumLaidlaw
01-12-2018, 05:57 PM

How come no one is blaming Leeann Dempster then? (I’m not by the way). Doesn’t GC report to her?

calumhibee1
01-12-2018, 05:58 PM

You’ve got a right obsession with Hearts fans eh?

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 05:58 PM

:agree: Put up an 'evening with Skacel' thread and they'll all out themselves on there.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 05:59 PM

Why does that upset you so much? Do you doubt some of them are busily pouring petrol on the fire this evening?

flash
01-12-2018, 05:59 PM

Aye them and people who revel in misfortune.

CropleyWasGod
01-12-2018, 06:07 PM
:agree: Put up an 'evening with Skacel' thread and they'll all out themselves on there.When is it? Will there be chips?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
01-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Why does that upset you so much? Do you doubt some of them are busily pouring petrol on the fire this evening?

When did I ever say I was upset?

calumhibee1
01-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Aye them and people who revel in misfortune.

Misfortune? You make it sound like we are where we are by bad luck.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 06:13 PM
When is it? Will there be chips?

Ah **** CWG, not you. I'm gutted you are the one I've managed to 'out'.

It's like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - truly thought you were one of us.

And to do it so easily too. I mean you've totally channelled Gordon Jackson there. "Good luck!" - "Thank you."

CropleyWasGod
01-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Ah **** CWG, not you. I'm gutted you are the one I've managed to 'out'.

It's like Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - truly thought you were one of us.

And to do it so easily too. I mean you've totally channelled Gordon Jackson there. "Good luck!" - "Thank you."Any chance of an answer to the question?

And that's MR. Cowley to you, Bodie.

B.H.F.C
01-12-2018, 06:31 PM
How come no one is blaming Leeann Dempster then? (I’m not by the way). Doesn’t GC report to her?

They’re all culpable. From the end of last season to now hasn’t been good enough.

Do you not think Craig should be questioned? He’s been quick enough to tell us about all the things we do recruitment wise (that he put in place) but it’s not working at the moment is it?

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Any chance of an answer to the question?

And that's MR. Cowley to you, Bodie.

Deflection Herr MacDonald. You won't need any Kartoffelchips where you're going...

PatHead
01-12-2018, 06:44 PM
When is it? Will there be chips?

No but plenty 0% alcohol.

CropleyWasGod
01-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Deflection Herr MacDonald. You won't need any Kartoffelchips where you're going...Upstairs or downstairs?

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Upstairs or downstairs?

No stairs in that field I'm afraid.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 06:55 PM
It's very helpful and uplifting to see another thread singling someone out so soon after losing the Jamie Maclaren one from the front page. Wonderful.

we are hibs
01-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Considering you are constantly saying it how about you name the people you think are hearts fans? Enlighten us.

One Day Soon
01-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Considering you are constantly saying it how about you name the people you think are hearts fans? Enlighten us.

I can't imagine you honestly think there are none?

Like Bladerunner, the Admins will get to them all sooner or later...

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 10:27 AM

How have you managed to stay on here so long?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2018, 10:30 AM

This “scatter gun” reaction after a defeat serves what purpose exactly?

givescotlandfreedom
02-12-2018, 02:22 PM
I don't mind people always being this desperate to moan on here.

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2018, 02:43 PM

I'm not sure that will be enough for some folk, get rid of the lot, backroom staff, manager and his assistant, Dempster the other boardroom members, not Petrie thats just daft.

Then start again fresh with a blank canvas, we cant sit back and accept this dismal form any longer.

tamig
02-12-2018, 03:04 PM

And he reports to Leeann. Time for her position to be questioned?

B.H.F.C
02-12-2018, 03:13 PM
And he reports to Leeann. Time for her position to be questioned?

There are a lot of questions to be asked at all levels after what did/didn’t happen in the summer. That doesn’t necesarilly mean calling for folk to be emptied though.

George Craig has only been to happy to open up East Mains to everyone and talk about all the things he’s put in place and how good they are.

The infrastructure, mainly put in place by him, faced a major test in the summer and didn’t pass that test. I think it’s fair that people ask questions of that.

GordonHFC
02-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Although Craig and Mathie do a lot of the hard work with Leeann, it's still down to Lennon who we sign, we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes, what happens if Lennon rejects 2-3 good players and takes 2-3 very average ones, not down to Craig, they can only recommend the players they've scouted.

This is 100% correct. We scout for positions and a good number of names were put to NL and he turned them down.

Liam978
02-12-2018, 05:02 PM
There are a lot of questions to be asked at all levels after what did/didn’t happen in the summer. That doesn’t necesarilly mean calling for folk to be emptied though.

George Craig has only been to happy to open up East Mains to everyone and talk about all the things he’s put in place and how good they are.

The infrastructure, mainly put in place by him, faced a major test in the summer and didn’t pass that test. I think it’s fair that people ask questions of that.

Well said my son, Oor George has been instrumental in the signings of Stubbs, McGinn, Allan,McGeouch and Stokes. So me thinks the Cleanyman should clean up his act, as he is the biggest JOKER.

tamig
02-12-2018, 05:16 PM

Like any business, it will experience ups and downs. If the people responsible for perceived failures at the club see that they’ve made mistakes, I’m sure they will be doing everything in their power to address that in the next window.

green day
02-12-2018, 05:17 PM

That's went well eh

So you watched a video with George Craig, and then come on here asking what he does?

Perhaps we should just sack everyone and just go along to Ainslie Park every couple of weeks?

Or perhaps you are just a troll with nothing to say except when things are down the pan?

Scotty Leither
02-12-2018, 05:38 PM

I don't follow the logic of that argument, sorry. Lennon will reject 2-3 good players and take 2-3 average ones?

Real issue is that both Craig and Lennon are bound by one common factor, namely Hibs transfer policy: ££££ in, pennies out.

BSEJVT
02-12-2018, 05:41 PM
But what does he do ?

Equally

What do you do other than come on here and moan your tits off about everything and anything to do with Hibs?

If Hibs made me that unhappy I would give up supporting them or go for counselling

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Well said my son, Oor George has been instrumental in the signings of Stubbs, McGinn, Allan,McGeouch and Stokes. So me thinks the Cleanyman should clean up his act, as he is the biggest JOKER.
Big Dave ? Full backs that never played thinks it’s four now. Feruz . Matt Kennedy. And poor summer window. Yeah we have had good players but plenty rubbish ones. Is it a 50% success rate or 60% ???

My_Wife_Camille
02-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Big Dave ? Full backs that never played thinks it’s four now. Feruz . Matt Kennedy. And poor summer window. Yeah we have had good players but plenty rubbish ones. Is it a 50% success rate or 60% ???

How many signings have really been a success since Lennon took over? Obviously different people have different interpretations of what a ‘success’ is but I make it around 30% being if I’m being generous.

Holt
Marciano
Commons
Ambrose
Shinnie
Humphrey
McLean
Eardley
Graham
Laidlaw
Matulevicius
Swanson
Slivka
Murray
Whittaker
Stokes
Rherras
Bell
Barker
Allan
MacLaren
Kamberi
Bogdan
Mallan
Agyepong
Milligan
Horgan
Hyndman
Nelom
Mavrias

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 06:10 PM
How many signings have really been a success since Lennon took over? Obviously different people have different interpretations of what a ‘success’ is but I make it around 30% being if I’m being generous.

Holt
Marciano
Commons
Ambrose
Shinnie
Humphrey
McLean
Eardley
Graham
Laidlaw
Matulevicius
Swanson
Slivka
Murray
Whittaker
Stokes
Rherras
Bell
Barker
Allan
MacLaren
Kamberi
Bogdan
Mallan
Agyepong
Milligan
Horgan
Hyndman
Nelom
Mavrias
Some list. Lenny signed all them ?

staunchhibby
02-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Fishing lines out again.

J-C
02-12-2018, 07:32 PM
I don't follow the logic of that argument, sorry. Lennon will reject 2-3 good players and take 2-3 average ones?

Real issue is that both Craig and Lennon are bound by one common factor, namely Hibs transfer policy: ££££ in, pennies out.

Not necessarily reject good players just to choose average ones, Lennon ultimately has final say on who he wants signed and Leeann will then work out a deal. We dont actually know what players Lennon knocked back but it's plain to see the ones chosen are not the correct ones.

Also remember the board and that includes Petrie have to sign off on any deal which has been agreed, maybe we missed out on a number of targets due to the board not willing to sign the deal off.

My_Wife_Camille
02-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Some list. Lenny signed all them ?
All signed since Lennon joined. Whether they are Lennon/Mathie/Craig’s signings are up for debate though I’m sure.

B.H.F.C
02-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Not necessarily reject good players just to choose average ones, Lennon ultimately has final say on who he wants signed and Leeann will then work out a deal. We dont actually know what players Lennon knocked back but it's plain to see the ones chosen are not the correct ones.

Also remember the board and that includes Petrie have to sign off on any deal which has been agreed, maybe we missed out on a number of targets due to the board not willing to sign the deal off.

I doubt the board have to sign off every single deal. More likely to tell them their budget at outset and it’s up to all the recruitment folk and Lennon to work within that.

Whether or not the budget is as big as it could be in the first place who knows so I suppose the point still stands.

J-C
02-12-2018, 07:51 PM
I doubt the board have to sign off every single deal. More likely to tell them their budget at outset and it’s up to all the recruitment folk and Lennon to work within that.

Whether or not the budget is as big as it could be in the first place who knows.

It's what I was told, yes there's a budget but the board seemingly has to sign off all deals, far too many people playing Football Manager and thinking you just adjust the budget accordingly with a wee slider on a laptop.

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 08:07 PM
It's what I was told, yes there's a budget but the board seemingly has to sign off all deals, far too many people playing Football Manager and thinking you just adjust the budget accordingly with a wee slider on a laptop.
No danger fans reps get chances to veto who lenny
wants to sign

Dancehibs
02-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Whether or not the budget is as big as it could be in the first place who knows so I suppose the point still stands.
This is how it works as I was told be a director

J-C
02-12-2018, 08:19 PM
No danger fans reps get chances to veto who lenny
wants to sign

Obviously any fans reps will not be involved in any monetary decisions at the club, bit weird to suggest they would.

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Obviously any fans reps will not be involved in any monetary decisions at the club, bit weird to suggest they would.If it's a Board decision, why wouldn't they? They are as entitled to their opinion in Board meetings as any of the others?

J-C
02-12-2018, 09:25 PM
If it's a Board decision, why wouldn't they? They are as entitled to their opinion in Board meetings as any of the others?

Probably because they're a non paid board member given a seat on the board to make communication with the fans better. If any financial decisions are being made I'm pretty sure Sir Tom wouldn't be overly happy fan board members are involved in any spending decisions at the club.

CropleyWasGod
02-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Probably because they're a non paid board member given a seat on the board to make communication with the fans better. If any financial decisions are being made I'm pretty sure Sir Tom wouldn't be overly happy fan board members are involved in any spending decisions at the club.We only have 1 paid Board member just now.

Your scenario suggests a two tier system of Board membership, which would be highly unusual, and possibly even illegal.

I think it more likely that the Board sign off on recommendations from whoever is responsible for player acquisition, without much discussion.

B.H.F.C
02-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Probably because they're a non paid board member given a seat on the board to make communication with the fans better. If any financial decisions are being made I'm pretty sure Sir Tom wouldn't be overly happy fan board members are involved in any spending decisions at the club.

They are classed as non executive directors like the majority of the others on the board. They’re entitled to a vote on anything the board are passing, just like the rest. I think.