PDA

View Full Version : John Gibson

Heckys Wheel
29-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Sad news tonight about John Gibson passing away. Grew up on his Hibs reports.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/legendary-edinburgh-evening-news-journalist-john-gibson-dies-1-4836961

MacGruber
29-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Gibby the hibby. Sad news. RIP to a good hibs man. Liked reading his Hibs reports too.

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Nice guy, boy did he know how to work a free meal, ketchup on everything too!

eastterrace
29-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Gibby the hibby. Sad news. RIP to a good hibs man. Liked reading his Hibs reports too.

Yes way before social media , reading his match reports and updates during the week kept you up to date with what was happening with Hibs . RIP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibsdaft
29-11-2018, 08:03 PM
John Gibson. Hibsman. RIP

Jonnyboy
29-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Sorry to hear this. Always enjoyed reading his stuff

James310
29-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Sad news, was a big name journalist when I was growing up when my parents used to buy the Evening News every day.

G B Young
29-11-2018, 08:11 PM
A real newspaper man of a bygone era. Leith Academy school IIRC. Journalism was in his blood, along with the Hibees. He continued to work way beyond his retirement age and I think the newspaper office remained his home from home. Staunch Tory, along with his late colleague and fellow Hibby Brian Meek.

Hi Heid Yin
29-11-2018, 08:27 PM
A sad loss.
I will miss his Edinburgh insights and commentaries.

Eaststand
29-11-2018, 08:44 PM
RIP A good Hibby

GGTTH

DarlingtonHibee
29-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Sad news, a great hibs man.

Nakedmanoncrack
29-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Don't doubt he was a big Hibs fan, but never had a lot of time for him & his columns to be honest.

BILLYHIBS
29-11-2018, 11:01 PM
John Gibson RIP

The Edinburgh Evening News just got worse (if that was at all possible) and the world is a sadder place

The Harp
29-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Sad to hear this. Can remember seeing John going to Hibs games years ago with Stewart Brown, both big Hibees.

RIP

Hi Heid Yin
29-11-2018, 11:59 PM
Don't doubt he was a big Hibs fan, but never had a lot of time for him & his columns to be honest.

No need for this.
Why not simply respect his memory and leave this thread to those who wish to say nicer things about one of Edinburgh's most memorable characters?

kaimendhibs
30-11-2018, 02:14 AM
Sad news. RIP

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
30-11-2018, 04:10 AM
No need for this.
Why not simply respect his memory and leave this thread to those who wish to say nicer things about one of Edinburgh's most memorable characters?

No offence intended, I was deliberately restrained, possibly unlike the individual in question, who wasn't known for showing much reluctance to offend!

Viva_Palmeiras
30-11-2018, 05:02 AM
No need for this.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of tinternet #noFilterz

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2018, 06:33 AM
No offence intended, I was deliberately restrained, possibly unlike the individual in question, who wasn't known for showing much reluctance to offend!
Why bother posting at all?

Sometimes better to say nothing at all out of respect for his memory and his family

Shan patter!

One Day
30-11-2018, 06:46 AM
Another good Hibby gone. R.I.P.

The Pointer
30-11-2018, 06:57 AM
Grew up reading his reports in the News when people bought a daily and an evening newspaper. Unlike others I wasn't aware he and Gibby the Gibby were one and the same.

Sad news indeed but his eulogy could be interesting.

Peevemor
30-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Grew up reading his reports in the News when people bought a daily and an evening newspaper. Unlike others I wasn't aware he and Gibby the Gibby were one and the same.

Sad news indeed but his eulogy could be interesting.

John Gibson wasn't Grumpy Gibby (the North Stand Hibee).

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2018, 07:10 AM

Johnny Boy knows the true identity of Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby :greengrin

Peevemor
30-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Johnny Boy knows the true identity of Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby :greengrin

Loadiepish!

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2018, 07:19 AM
Loadaepish!
Who is Grumpy Gibby the North Stand Hibby then?

SirDavidsNapper
30-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Remember his reports as a youngster. Sad to hear he's passed away. Another one of us that finally saw us do it in their lifetime.

Peevemor
30-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Who is Grumpy Hibby the North Stand Hibby then?

:greengrin I wasn't contradicting you, I was just doing my Grumpy Gibby impersonation.

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2018, 07:27 AM
:greengrin I wasn't contradicting you, I was just doing my Grumpy Gibby impersonation.

Ha Ha!

The reason I pointed the finger at Johnny Boy is that by trawling the old .net threads on Grumpy going back to the Mass Hibsteria and HIBS Monthly days he is the only one we know as being an active “person” around about that time so he should / will know but definitely not John Gibson (Gibby the Hibby)

RIP

CockneyRebel
30-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Nice guy, boy did he know how to work a free meal, ketchup on everything too!

Sad news.
Myself and a couple of pals used to blag our way into the press room in the West at half time for free tea and pies and Gibby would be there scoffing away. Had many a chat with the guy and he had heaps of funny football stories and anecdotes and was a very nice man.
One of my pals used to lead the way to the press room as he had a work pass that looked pretty impressive. One time a steward asked what paper we were from and my pal replied "The Daily Planet" and he waved us through. We used to take spare pies and sandwiches back for those that sat around us so we were quite popular for a while.

RIP John.

G B Young
30-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Don't know if you ever met him in person but as others have said he struck me as an entertaining and decent bloke. As for what he wrote, some of it wasn't everyone's cup of tea that's for sure but then that's partly what built his reputation and got folk talking. He was a great asset to his paper.

Greenbeard
30-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Sad news.
Myself and a couple of pals used to blag our way into the press room in the West at half time for free tea and pies and Gibby would be there scoffing away. Had many a chat with the guy and he had heaps of funny football stories and anecdotes and was a very nice man.
One of my pals used to lead the way to the press room as he had a work pass that looked pretty impressive. One time a steward asked what paper we were from and my pal replied "The Daily Planet" and he waved us through. We used to take spare pies and sandwiches back for those that sat around us so we were quite popular for a while.

RIP John.
Presumably the pies and sannies were worth nicking back then?
Hope for your sake that Rod P doesn't read this otherwise your admission might generate a full enquiry into the high press catering costs back then, with a settlement invoice, plus considerable interest a la Winston Ingram, coming your way for defrauding the club. :wink:

CockneyRebel
30-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Presumably the pies and sannies were worth nicking back then?
Hope for your sake that Rod P doesn't read this otherwise your admission might generate a full enquiry into the high press catering costs back then, with a settlement invoice, plus considerable interest a la Winston Ingram, coming your way for defrauding the club. :wink:

Statute of limitations? I'd "take the "Fifth" anyway.

NAE NOOKIE
30-11-2018, 12:29 PM
RIP to a guy whose love for Hibs was always evident in his writing.

The Pointer
30-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Ah right, I was away ahead of myself.

heretoday
30-11-2018, 02:08 PM
He could be cantankerous about Hibs but his passing is a blow.

Another friend gone I think.

We should have a minute's silence or whatever.

pollution
30-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Spoke to him several times, always to the point.

I didn't quite appreciate his column that he used to write. Too terse. A good man though