PDA

View Full Version : NHC Motherwell post record trading profit- £1.72 million.

superfurryhibby
28-11-2018, 10:33 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46379337

Very interesting financial results for the fan owned club. Runs to two cup final and profitable trading have seen the club increase turnover to a record level, with record profits. Nice to see a good news story and whilst they won’t achieve that every year, fair play to them.

Also interesting as a reminder that they acheived the fan ownership with a clean slate courtesy of a very wealthy fan. I imagine what Hibs could do with similar levels of benevolence from some altruistic rich supporter. Time for them to step up to the plate, if they exist.

Michael
28-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Pretty impressive. Most clubs in Scotland seem pretty well run these days.

givescotlandfreedom
28-11-2018, 10:45 PM
One thing they've done we've not is bumped their creditors. It's a lot easier to be financially well off if you write off what you owe.

superfurryhibby
28-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Pretty impressive. Most clubs in Scotland seem pretty well run these days.

I think of one exception down Govan Way, but aye, banks aren’t bailing anyone out anymore. Sustainable models are the future and Well have done well on fairly measly crowds and small playing budget etc.

Smartie
28-11-2018, 10:52 PM
One thing they've done we've not is bumped their creditors. It's a lot easier to be financially well off if you write off what you owe.

Did nobody get bumped when they were in administration (possibly even twice)?

Criswell
28-11-2018, 11:11 PM
For a club with a hard-core fan base of circa 3.5 thousand these figures are truly remarkable. I know they got to two cup finals last year and they sold Louis Moult but is that enough to turn in such a profit? The only thing I can think of is that they must be able to sign players willing to play for peanuts. After these results that may prove to be a little more difficult.

PatHead
28-11-2018, 11:15 PM
For a club with a hard-core fan base of circa 3.5 thousand these figures are truly remarkable. I know they got to two cup finals last year and they sold Louis Moult but is that enough to turn in such a profit? The only thing I can think of is that they must be able to sign players willing to play for peanuts. After these results that may prove to be a little more difficult.

Is the Cedric Kipre transfer included?

Criswell
28-11-2018, 11:20 PM

Not sure. Still remarkable figures.

Scotty Leither
28-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Did nobody get bumped when they were in administration (possibly even twice)?

Yes, bumped 19 players with a pennies-in-the-pound CVA.

Joined Dundee (twice), that mob over the road, Gretna, Livingston (again, twice)? in basically washing their hands of accrued debt, and every one of these clubs should have been relegated to the fourth tier and made to start again.

Not sure i'd be quick to laud any club(s) that stiffened their creditors with impunity, to be honest.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2018, 11:32 PM
It's good to see a fan owned club making a go of it. It sounds like a lot of money for such a small club to make.

Ryan69
29-11-2018, 06:57 AM

You mean they actually recieved money for him???

Seemed terrible everytime I saw him.

JimBHibees
29-11-2018, 07:06 AM

Think they also got some money possibly from a future transfer for Marvin Johnson who they sold to Oxford then he moved onto Sheffield united

Brooster
29-11-2018, 07:09 AM

Don't kid yourself. They've got previous.

danhibees1875
29-11-2018, 07:43 AM
Don't kid yourself. They've got previous.

That's what he's saying. :confused:

They've bumped their creditors, making it easier to be financially well off.

Jones28
29-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Not sure. Still remarkable figures.

Even more so if it doesn't include that.

bingo70
29-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Right, so for us to get similar success all we really need to do is get to two major cup finals, sell our best players, hope for add ons from previous sales, bump our creditors and reduce our wage bill to Motherwell levels.

Easy.......

Carheenlea
29-11-2018, 09:48 AM

:agree: nothing to be boasting about and they’ll no doubt be quick enough to do the same if they find themselves in a similar situation somewhere down the line.

One Day Soon
29-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Congratulations Motherwell on the marvellous business acumen of walking away from your debts, leaving others to pick up the pieces.

But wait, someone is going to say it is unseemly to bring this up and just makes US look bad for point scoring :rolleyes:

where'stheslope
29-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Congratulations Motherwell on the marvellous business acumen of walking away from your debts, leaving others to pick up the pieces.

But wait, someone is going to say it is unseemly to bring this up and just makes US look bad for point scoring :rolleyes:

You forgot, thanks for our Leanne!!!!

superfurryhibby
29-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Motherwell went into administration 13 years ago, that’s a lifetime in football terms. They are one of many Scottish clubs who have found themselves in financial trouble ( including ourselves), for one reason or another.

I’m surprised to read as much bitterness about them. They are a wee club, small fanbase and are 100 % fan owned. If clubs with a history like the Mothers can’t stay afloat then we would soon have no game at all.

I prefer to enjoy another wee bit of good news about a relatively big player in our wee game, rather than try and assume some moral high ground ( I’ll make an exception for Hearts/ Huns on that front, though even then I take it all with a large pinch of salt).

Well done the Mothers.

One Day Soon
29-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Motherwell went into administration 13 years ago, that’s a lifetime in football terms. They are one of many Scottish clubs who have found themselves in financial trouble ( including ourselves), for one reason or another.

I’m surprised to read as much bitterness about them. They are a wee club, small fanbase and are 100 % fan owned. If clubs with a history like the Mothers can’t stay afloat then we would soon have no game at all.

I prefer to enjoy another wee bit of good news about a relatively big player our wee game, rather than try and assume some moral high ground ( I’ll make an exception for Hearts/ Huns on that front, though even then I take it all with a large pinch of salt).

Well done the Mothers.

Bah humbug. And me normally a happy clapper too...

kaimendhibs
29-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Did nobody get bumped when they were in administration (possibly even twice)?That's what's he's saying. Read it again

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
29-11-2018, 12:36 PM

I prefer to enjoy another wee bit of good news about a relatively big player our wee game, rather than try and assume some moral high ground ( I’ll make an exception for Hearts/ Huns on that front, though even then I take it all with a large pinch of salt).

Well done the Mothers.

When Motherwell went into administration in 2002, Hibs had knocking on £20m of debt (reduced by 50% with the sale of the car park a year or two later). While Motherwell were able to start with a clean slate and a completed stadium, Hibs have built East Mains and the new East stand and are still covering debt repayments which will continue for another 7 years (?) or so.

Where would Motherwell be now had they not gone into administration. Where would they be had they been required to trade while servicing their debt as Hibs have done?

As much as I "like" Motherwell and their supporters for sticking with their local team, they've gained a sporting advantage by bumping their creditors - not something I'm willing to write-off so easily.

superfurryhibby
29-11-2018, 12:50 PM
When Motherwell went into administration in 2002, Hibs had knocking on £20m of debt (reduced by 50% with the sale of the car park a year or two later). While Motherwell were able to start with a clean slate and a completed stadium, Hibs have built East Mains and the new East stand and are still covering debt repayments which will continue for another 7 years (?) or so.

Where would Motherwell be now had they not gone into administration. Where would they be had they been required to trade while servicing their debt as Hibs have done?

As much as I "like" Motherwell and their supporters for sticking with their local team, they've gained a sporting advantage by bumping their creditors - not something I'm willing to write-off so easily.

The club won the Scottish Cup in 1991, which financed the £750,000 conversion of the East Enclosure to seating.[4]

A two tier South Stand, which cost £2.2 million, was opened in April 1993.[6] Two years later, Motherwell opened a single tier North Stand, completing the stadium in its present format.[6] The North Stand was dedicated to former Motherwell player Davie Cooper, who died in the year that it was opened.[6] Both of these stands were designed by the company WH Dickie Architects, owned by the club's director Bill Dickie.[7] The Main Stand was renamed the Phil O'Donnell Stand in January 2008, to honour the Motherwell captain who died on the Fir Park pitch.[8][9] A sculptured tribute to O'Donnell was added to the north wall of the stand in 2011.[8][10]

I’m no expert on Motherwell or their finances, but from what I can see, the administration was down to Boyle chasing the dream. Fuelled by TV money and partially scunnered the loss of the TV deal, the club went down the tubes.

I suspect Fir Park would now be a retail complex or flats if Motherwell hadn’t gone into administration, much like Tynecastle, Ibrox, Dens Park and so on.

Scotty Leither
29-11-2018, 02:10 PM

Well done the Mothers.

Nah, not for me. Dunfermline were another lot that way over stretched themselves; they signed Crawford and Brewster from us, and indeed gave Brewster a better deal than he was on at Easter Road.

I think I'm right in saying that same season they had issues with paying wages and they eventually entered admin as well in 2007.

The fact that we issued our infamous "time to move on" statement just compounds the indulgence of charlatan owners and their fellow travellers.

I'll not join in the congratulations of these clubs for "turning things around", if that's OK.

Scotty Leither
29-11-2018, 02:17 PM
The club won the Scottish Cup in 1991, which financed the £750,000 conversion of the East Enclosure to seating.[4]

A two tier South Stand, which cost £2.2 million, was opened in April 1993.[6] Two years later, Motherwell opened a single tier North Stand, completing the stadium in its present format.[6] The North Stand was dedicated to former Motherwell player Davie Cooper, who died in the year that it was opened.[6] Both of these stands were designed by the company WH Dickie Architects, owned by the club's director Bill Dickie.[7] The Main Stand was renamed the Phil O'Donnell Stand in January 2008, to honour the Motherwell captain who died on the Fir Park pitch.[8][9] A sculptured tribute to O'Donnell was added to the north wall of the stand in 2011.[8][10]

I’m no expert on Motherwell or their finances, but from what I can see, the administration was down to Boyle chasing the dream. Fuelled by TV money and partially scunnered the loss of the TV deal, the club went down the tubes.

I suspect Fir Park would now be a retail complex or flats if Motherwell hadn’t gone into administration, much like Tynecastle, Ibrox, Dens Park and so on.

Did Robinson not want to sell Tynecastle to pay off their debts and rent out Murrayfield?

That's my recollection of the large dose of reality that was about to bite their entitled *****, and that's what led to them hounding him out the door and getting into bed with the Romanovs?

If that's what led to Tynecastle, Dens Park, East End Park, and other being turned into flats, then so be it - it would've been suitable punishment and they would also have been nobbled on the playing side for a long period, too.

All of these clubs got off far too lightly in the end.

Smartie
29-11-2018, 02:22 PM
That's what's he's saying. Read it again

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Ah yes. Of course.

Sorry, I read it as a dig at our maroon chums.

Keith_M
29-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Yes, bumped 19 players with a pennies-in-the-pound CVA.

Joined Dundee (twice), that mob over the road, Gretna, Livingston (again, twice)? in basically washing their hands of accrued debt, and every one of these clubs should have been relegated to the fourth tier and made to start again.

Not sure i'd be quick to laud any club(s) that stiffened their creditors with impunity, to be honest.

I think Dunfermline also went through the same process.

where'stheslope
30-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Did Robinson not want to sell Tynecastle to pay off their debts and rent out Murrayfield?

That's my recollection of the large dose of reality that was about to bite their entitled *****, and that's what led to them hounding him out the door and getting into bed with the Romanovs?

If that's what led to Tynecastle, Dens Park, East End Park, and other being turned into flats, then so be it - it would've been suitable punishment and they would also have been nobbled on the playing side for a long period, too.

All of these clubs got off far too lightly in the end.
Did a similar thing with us not spark the Hands of Hibs, when our Directors tried to sell us to Mercer?
If not for Mercers big mouth that deal may have been done without our knowledge!!!
Around that time quite a few clubs were in financial difficulty, but they tended to take the relegation route to rebuild rather than spend money!!!

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Did a similar thing with us not spark the Hands of Hibs, when our Directors tried to sell us to Mercer?
If not for Mercers big mouth that deal may have been done without our knowledge!!!
Around that time quite a few clubs were in financial difficulty, but they tended to take the relegation route to rebuild rather than spend money!!!That's not true. Mercer had to make an offer to all of the shareholders, which would have been public knowledge whether he had said anything or not.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

where'stheslope
30-11-2018, 05:13 PM
That's not true. Mercer had to make an offer to all of the shareholders, which would have been public knowledge whether he had said anything or not.

Only public knowledge of the shareholders, and if money was discussed, and if good enough they may have taken the 4th and the money???
Still it did come to light and we moved on.

CropleyWasGod
30-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Only public knowledge of the shareholders, and if money was discussed, and if good enough they may have taken the 4th and the money???
Still it did come to light and we moved on.The offer had to be made public, as we were a PLC. That was the law.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Around that time quite a few clubs were in financial difficulty, but they tended to take the relegation route to rebuild rather than spend money!!!

The attempted Mercer takeover would never have been an option for the FTB if Hibs hasn't been so badly run, the debts run up opening the door for him.

If honest- not many of us around at the time were in any way critical of the grand ideas of Duff & Gray before it all collapsed spectacularly.

highland hibbee
01-12-2018, 12:52 PM

not paying the minimum wage to staff might also have helped them ............