PDA

View Full Version : David White and David Reid, 1978 signings ?

crewetollhibee
28-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Remember being on holiday and reading that we had signed these 2 laddies from Leeds Utd IIRC. Don’t think I remember them playing for the first team, anyone else recall them ?

surreyhibbie
28-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Remember being on holiday and reading that we had signed these 2 laddies from Leeds Utd IIRC. Don’t think I remember them playing for the first team, anyone else recall them ?

these guys?

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/players_profiles/W/WhyteD.php

crewetollhibee
28-11-2018, 04:20 PM
👍

brog
28-11-2018, 05:03 PM

Unfortunately I do remember them. Actually its the kind of signing i enjoy, a shot to nothing really as was Johnny Hamilton & the Dobster! I remember Jimmy O was going to get them to play for our Corrie Inn team but wasnt sure they were an improvement on our 43 yo holding midfielder!

IberianHibernian
28-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Think it was year we were relegated . 1980 . Seem to remember them making debuts in final games of season when we`d already been relegated . Strange as their free transfers had already been announced . Tiny crowds at those games - about 1000 v Partick Thistle .

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Think it was year we were relegated . 1980 . Seem to remember them making debuts in final games of season when we`d already been relegated . Strange as their free transfers had already been announced . Tiny crowds at those games - about 1000 v Partick Thistle .

Nae wonder, nae chips available!

Iggy Pope
28-11-2018, 06:42 PM

We had not half lost it.

That Partick game was the same night as the Iranian Embassy siege. I remember ‘Radio Hibs’ announcing the news to a thoroughly disinterested Enclosure, that and parts of the Centre Stand being the only areas open to the public.

Hiber-nation
28-11-2018, 07:02 PM

Just checked iHibs, yep it was that hellish season. Reid made 1 sub appearance late in that season, White didn't appear for us at all. I vaguely remember them both being dire for the reserves, but the main thing I recall was them being on the front of a programme early that season in a photo with Jimmy Brown

We had not half lost it.

That Partick game was the same night as the Iranian Embassy siege. I remember ‘Radio Hibs’ announcing the news to a thoroughly disinterested Enclosure, that and parts of the Centre Stand being the only areas open to the public.

I remember the game S but not the announcement....although it's the sort of thing that a 22 year old me would indeed have been thoroughly disinterested in :greengrin

Iggy Pope
28-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Just checked iHibs, yep it was that hellish season. Reid made 1 sub appearance late in that season, White didn't appear for us at all. I vaguely remember them both being dire for the reserves, but the main thing I recall was them being on the front of a programme early that season in a photo with Jimmy Brown

I remember the game S but not the announcement....although it's the sort of thing that a 22 year old me would indeed have been thoroughly disinterested in :greengrin

Some of us were 17....:greengrin

Hiber-nation
28-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Some of us were 17....:greengrin

Bet ye were a wee radge :greengrin

Iggy Pope
29-11-2018, 12:47 AM
Bet ye were a wee radge :greengrin

I was J, and became much, much ****ing radger :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
29-11-2018, 12:53 AM

The good old days, eh?

I've never heard of White or Reid.

Iggy Pope
29-11-2018, 01:09 AM
The good old days, eh?

I've never heard of White or Reid.

Those are the facts though friend.

hibbydad
29-11-2018, 10:28 AM
I remember meeting Eddie Turnbull in the Ben Loyal hotel in Tongue and he told my dad and I that he was going south the next day to sign these 2and he was really excited about their prospects. Somehow it just did not work out.

Bobo
29-11-2018, 10:31 AM
the main thing I recall was them being on the front of a programme early that season in a photo with Jimmy Brown

You're spot on about the programme mate, great memory :aok:

Hiber-nation
29-11-2018, 12:47 PM
You're spot on about the programme mate, great memory :aok:

Ah, well done! That is the one alright.