PDA

View Full Version : where are they now............

monktonharp
28-11-2018, 01:34 AM
just looked at some previous Hibs v the gorgie mob games. Ross Coldwell, and young Harris, where are they now. they played crucial parts in us winning a couple of Derbies. if not,it might all have happened in the same derby. Harris was a spectactular find, imho but I do recall he took an injury which sidelined him for almost a year.he was unbelievable in the Hampden game against Falkirk

Babyshamble
28-11-2018, 01:55 AM
just looked at some previous Hibs v the gorgie mob games. Ross Coldwell, and young Harris, where are they now. they played crucial parts in us winning a couple of Derbies. if not,it might all have happened in the same derby. Harris was a spectactular find, imho but I do recall he took an injury which sidelined him for almost a year.he was unbelievable in the Hampden game against FalkirkAlex Harris is at York city. Ross Caldwell is at blanryre Victoria.

Hibeesmad
28-11-2018, 02:12 AM
Shame that Harris got the injury he did. Butcher couldn’t have done him much help either.

Forza Fred
28-11-2018, 02:54 AM
just looked at some previous Hibs v the gorgie mob games. Ross Coldwell, and young Harris, where are they now. they played crucial parts in us winning a couple of Derbies. if not,it might all have happened in the same derby. Harris was a spectactular find, imho but I do recall he took an injury which sidelined him for almost a year.he was unbelievable in the Hampden game against Falkirk

I was at the game in 2013 when Caldwell scored the winner in the dying moments of the game.

To be honest, I never got the hype around Harris.

His way of beating a player was simply to knock the ball past him and use his pace.

Easily countered by having a second defender a couple of yards behind the first...teams quickly worked that out and so his threat decreased.

Sometimes I think we over hype how good our young players are before they fully develop

SirDavidsNapper
28-11-2018, 06:32 AM
I was at the game in 2013 when Caldwell scored the winner in the dying moments of the game.

His way of beating a player was simply to knock the ball past him and use his pace.

Easily countered by having a second defender a couple of yards behind the first...teams quickly worked that out and so his threat decreased.

Sometimes I think we over hype how good our young players are before they fully develop

Agree. And then show unwavering faith towards them when they're actually not very good. Handling and Stanton were two others.

The 90+2
28-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Didn’t Harris come on at Hampden and change the game against Falkirk or am I thinking of a different Falkirk at Hampden? Was it against Motherwell he got assaulted against then Butcher brought him back far too soon? Caldwell was sadly never going to make it with the attitude he had.

Peevemor
28-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Agree. And then show unwavering faith towards them when they're actually not very good. Handling and Stanton were two others.

I haven't seen much unwavering faith TBH.

While we're always keen to see youngsters come through the ranks, there weren't too many grumbles when any of the players mentioned were allowed to move on.

G15 Hibs
28-11-2018, 09:38 AM
It's almost as if someone was reading this

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/alex-harris-getting-his-career-back-on-track-at-york-after-hibs-exit-1-4835695

calumhibee1
28-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Didn’t Harris come on at Hampden and change the game against Falkirk or am I thinking of a different Falkirk at Hampden? Was it against Motherwell he got assaulted against then Butcher brought him back far too soon? Caldwell was sadly never going to make it with the attitude he had.

Don’t know anything about Caldwell’s attitude but based purely on football he just wasn’t good enough. Great goal at Tynie though and I’m surprised that he isn’t at least playing somewhere in the SPFL.

GreenArmyyy!
28-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Caldwell and Harris were never going to be good enough. Funnily enough I think Caldwell had more about him and could have been a GOC type player but his attitude was horrendous. Harris just simply didn’t have a plan B if he couldn’t knock the ball down the byline and beat a player for pace, he was too soft and easily marked out of the game. Good luck to him though!

Aubenas
28-11-2018, 11:24 AM

A (small, click to enlarge) pic of Alex Harris (No7 in centre of shot) in October playing for York City at Southport in the National League North.

he was much the same as he had been latterly for Hibs: obviously talented, took most of dead balls, but in truth a little peripheral to the game. He'd only been there a few weeks to be fair, but ye could only watch and wonder what might have been.

JackHibs
28-11-2018, 11:50 AM
I was at a mates game the other week, it was Pumphy Juniors v Blantyre Vics in the cup. There was a boy in the middle of the park who looked awfy like Caldwell so me and my mate had a quick google and it was him. He was playing centre mid which is why I wasn't sure if it was him. He looks like hes bulked up quite a but but wasn't fit at all..

Scored a good goal tho

Smartie
28-11-2018, 12:14 PM
I remember Harris' first couple of appearances when he looked much like many young players look when they're getting their first taste of 1st team action - a little boy lost, trying too hard and grasping to get a feel for the pace of the game.

Then, 3 or 4 games in, I thought he started to look absolutely outstanding. He was very quick off the mark, seemed to effortlessly be able to take the ball past players and still have a decent end product. I thought at that point we had a talent on our hands every bit as good as some of the best we had produced over the previous decade.

Then he got injured, which imo affected him in 2 ways - he longer had the absolutely lightning burst of pace, and more than that he was terrified to even attempt to take players on. I'm quite happy clappy and over-supportive of players but Harris drove me mad towards the end. Wingers who refuse to attempt to take a man on are not my thing at all.

I really wanted it to work for him, but it became clear in the end it just wasn't going to. Funnily enough, the player we swapped him for (Martin Boyle) has gone on to be what we could reasonably expect Harris to have done.

I thought Caldwell was hopeless. He looked like he should be able to play football but he couldn't, and it's no real surprise he's found his level where he has.

Good goal though, as was Harris' in the semi.

G B Young
28-11-2018, 01:59 PM
I remember Harris' first couple of appearances when he looked much like many young players look when they're getting their first taste of 1st team action - a little boy lost, trying too hard and grasping to get a feel for the pace of the game.

Then, 3 or 4 games in, I thought he started to look absolutely outstanding. He was very quick off the mark, seemed to effortlessly be able to take the ball past players and still have a decent end product. I thought at that point we had a talent on our hands every bit as good as some of the best we had produced over the previous decade.

Then he got injured, which imo affected him in 2 ways - he longer had the absolutely lightning burst of pace, and more than that he was terrified to even attempt to take players on. I'm quite happy clappy and over-supportive of players but Harris drove me mad towards the end. Wingers who refuse to attempt to take a man on are not my thing at all.

I really wanted it to work for him, but it became clear in the end it just wasn't going to. Funnily enough, the player we swapped him for (Martin Boyle) has gone on to be what we could reasonably expect Harris to have done.

I thought Caldwell was hopeless. He looked like he should be able to play football but he couldn't, and it's no real surprise he's found his level where he has.

Good goal though, as was Harris' in the semi.

That semi-final v Falkirk encompassed all of those things for him. As you say he looked the business. Never the same after the broken ankle though.

You may want to bypass the horror show first half but the comeback is still fun to watch (I actually forgot we also missed a penalty!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQs_w6bCZls

The 90+2
28-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Some game that semi and I’m ashamed to say I left at half time! Got back into a bar in Glasgow just as we equalised!

G B Young
28-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Some game that semi and I’m ashamed to say I left at half time! Got back into a bar in Glasgow just as we equalised!

I'd managed to cram in a fair few pints before the game despite the early kick off so by half time I was just too stunned and hungover to do anything but sit it out. The powers of recovery are quite something when you see something like that comeback unfold! Even after the missed penalty there was a sense we were still going to turn the game around.

Smartie
28-11-2018, 02:41 PM
I wasn't at the game - I was at a course through my work over in Essen.

The phone coverage was a bit poor so I was getting text updates whilst I was trying to pay attention to the course. The problem was the messages arrived in flurries and sometimes in the wrong order, so it was impossible to work out what was going on.

It was lovely to clarify that we'd picked up a result and that I had a cup final to look forward to.

monktonharp
29-11-2018, 01:28 AM
That semi-final v Falkirk encompassed all of those things for him. As you say he looked the business. Never the same after the broken ankle though.

You may want to bypass the horror show first half but the comeback is still fun to watch (I actually forgot we also missed a penalty!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQs_w6bCZlsthanks for that link! . what a game, glad I stayed, and my mate called me from the new A74 section bragging he'd be hame fur tea before the game finished . did give me memories of how good young Harris was that day. I did not know Hardie of the EEN was going to tell us about his new venture, at York btw

Jones28
29-11-2018, 08:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQs_w6bCZls

That was just a mental game. The only other time I've ever felt so drained emotionally was the cup won and the couple of days after my wedding.

Saint Hibee
29-11-2018, 09:07 AM

I disagree regarding Stanton; Dundee United fans are raving about him.

BILLYHIBS
29-11-2018, 09:24 AM

Agree worth watching this No 11 Messi (Stanton) No 7 Boozy (Harris)

The Wee The Rangers this is how it feels

https://youtu.be/iprozfywQhc

Smartie
29-11-2018, 09:57 AM

I always rated Stanton.

Hibbyradge
29-11-2018, 10:25 AM
York are at home FC United of Manchester on Saturday.

Broxburnhibee and another of my mates are coming down for the weekend so if the weather isn't amenable to golf, a wee trip along to Bootham Crescent is a distinct possibility.

MWHIBBIES
29-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Loved that semi and his performance. Best Hampden crowd I've been in because the day trippers left at half time and the ones that stayed got right behind the team.

LancashireHibby
29-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Had our coats in our hand ready to go when Lyle Taylor missed that one on one to make it 4-0, glad we stuck with it!

Train home had a load of Preston fans pile on at Carlisle. They were all singing Hibs songs before we’d reached Penrith!

Hi Heid Yin
30-11-2018, 01:09 AM

My take on Harris too.
This, as well as he struggled to gain any confidence after his injury - like he never really believed in himself.