PDA

View Full Version : Filling in the corners

Diclonius
27-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Probably not the best time to bring this up again given our stellar form, but I couldn't help thinking to myself at the game on Saturday how ****ing amazing the stadium would look if we filled in the corners. We could either make them a two-tiered thing or just one tier with a big TV scoreboard/advertising board (or maybe just one/two of these) - only problem being connecting the East to the FF and South. I'm guessing two tiers would be the only way to ensure people in the corners can still see the pitch.

Of course, the key questions regarding this would be the following:

What would it take to get attendances high enough to justify doing this? The only way I see it is either a billionaire takes us over and plugs money into the club, with us eventually competing with Celtic (which personally I wouldn't find fun) or the whole of Scottish football gets a cash injection ala a bumper TV deal, leading to a closer title race and better quality of football. Another Scottish Cup wouldn't hurt either
What would the new capacity of Easter Road be? My estimations on Saturday were around the equivalent of half a behind the goal stand per corner, therefore bringing the capaity up to about 28,000.
Where would we put Hearts on derby day? We'd of course be giving all other away fans (and the OF) a corner, but I reckon to keep our reciprocal agrement we'd keep giving them the South minus the corners.
Does anyone have any mock-ups? :wink: I remember seeing one a few years ago and it looked amazing.

DarlingtonHibee
27-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Never ever happen, pointless discussion.

Greenbeard
27-11-2018, 01:09 PM
IMO the stadium already looks f***ing amazing.

Michael
27-11-2018, 01:21 PM
We should fill them in, but not with seats IMO.

Renfrew_Hibby
27-11-2018, 01:36 PM
It's no going to happen but regards capacity you would be looking at around 24,000, 24,500 tops.
That's with the NE and SW corners both being two tiers and the NW and SE corners both being just a single lower tier.
An access tunnel would be required, probably in the NW corner.
I would demolish the ticket office an maybe incorporate it into the space currently used for the club shop and build a new store in the NE infill.
Finally in a world where money was no object we could have large screens situated above the NW and SE corners which would only be lower tiered so these corners would be similar to what they have at Ibrox on each end of the Govan stand.

CMurdoch
27-11-2018, 01:45 PM
It's no going to happen but regards capacity you would be looking at around 24,000, 24,500 tops.
That's with the NE and SW corners both being two tiers and the NW and SE corners both being just a single lower tier.
An access tunnel would be required, probably in the NW corner.
I would demolish the ticket office an maybe incorporate it into the space currently used for the club shop and build a new store in the NE infill.
Finally in a world where money was no object we could have large screens situated above the NW and SE corners which would only be lower tiered so these corners would be similar to what they have at Ibrox on each end of the Govan stand.

I believe we rent the ticket office so couldn't knock it down

Peevemor
27-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I believe we rent the ticket office so couldn't knock it down

We rent it from STF/RP do we not?

CMurdoch
27-11-2018, 01:56 PM

That rings a bell
Do we rent anything else from them?

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2018, 01:56 PM
I hate to be the party pooper, but how much would it cost and who is paying for it?

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2018, 01:58 PM
That rings a bell
Do we rent anything else from them?No.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
27-11-2018, 01:59 PM
I hate to be the party pooper, but how much would it cost and who is paying for it?

We'll use the £20M transfer fee we get for Oli Shaw when he goes to Man City.

CMurdoch
27-11-2018, 02:07 PM
No.

Ta

Scottie
27-11-2018, 02:07 PM
:tee hee:

Stuart93
27-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Isn’t there white panelling between the east and the FF and the east and the south? Not sure we’d be able to do that with the rest as I’m sure the gap between the south and the West is used for ambulance access and the gap between the West and the FF is used for the TV box

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2018, 02:23 PM

Wow, that's the style mate :greengrin

When I first started going to Easter Road in the mid 70s every ground in Scotland was a ****hole, including Easter Road. Look at them now, even though some still fall short of what they should be because stadium development is moving at such a pace they are mostly still way way better than what they were then … some because it was forced on them and some because the folk running the clubs had a wee bit of vision, not to mention ambition.

Easter Road is a fine stadium as it is now, but it is not complete and falls short of the stadium it has the potential to be because of the large open corners at the FF / east and south / east corners. In my opinion the development of Easter Road isn't just all about how big we can make it, anything more than 22,000 would be over optimistic as far as what we are going to average within the next 20 years. But the look of the stadium and its ability to generate atmosphere are also big considerations … from that point of view this is what I would do:

Extend both decks of the FF towards the east and extend the lower deck of the south towards it too, then extend the roofs of both stands out the way to meet the roofs of the east and west stands, you would still have the spaces between each stand but they would be hidden from the inside of the stadium after you extend the side panels of the FF and south to meet the east and west ……… Bobs yer uncle, a fully enclosed stadium with an increased capacity of about 5 to 7 hundred seats and a far far better atmosphere …. given that all you would have to add in the way of fittings would be a few light bulbs I doubt the whole thing would cost any more than 2 million quid.

If money was no object I would fill the corners with buildings and screens, but if you want a bigger and fully enclosed stadium without spending a fortune the above is how to do it.

heretoday
27-11-2018, 02:23 PM
It would certainly cut out the draughts. It can get very uncomfortable.

makaveli1875
27-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Why did they design/build it with big ****ing gaps in the 1st place ? Surely when the East and Main stand were rebuilt it woldnt have been a huge task to butt the corners together with the FF and South

PatHead
27-11-2018, 02:28 PM
A lot of people are saying we can’t fill half the South for the old firm matches. Why do we need to fill the corners in?

If we do fill the south stand this month though.......

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2018, 02:29 PM

When I first started going to Easter Road in the mid 70s every ground in Scotland was a ****hole, including Easter Road. Look at them now, even though some still fall short of what they should be because stadium development is moving at such a pace they are mostly still way way better than what they were then … some because it was forced on them and some because the folk running the clubs had a wee bit of vision, not to mention ambition.

Easter Road is a fine stadium as it is now, but it is not complete and falls short of the stadium it has the potential to be because of the large open corners at the FF / east and south / east corners. In my opinion the development of Easter Road isn't just all about how big we can make it, anything more than 22,000 would be over optimistic as far as what we are going to average within the next 20 years. But the look of the stadium and its ability to generate atmosphere are also big considerations … from that point of view this is what I would do:

Extend both decks of the FF towards the east and extend the lower deck of the south towards it too, then extend the roofs of both stands out the way to meet the roofs of the east and west stands, you would still have the spaces between each stand but they would be hidden from the inside of the stadium after you extend the side panels of the FF and south to meet the east and west ……… Bobs yer uncle, a fully enclosed stadium with an increased capacity of about 5 to 7 hundred seats and a far far better atmosphere …. given that all you would have to add in the way of fittings would be a few light bulbs I doubt the whole thing would cost any more than 2 million quid.

If money was no object I would fill the corners with buildings and screens, but if you want a bigger and fully enclosed stadium without spending a fortune the above is how to do it.

That's a good idea. Saves the cost of filling in the corners completely and does a very similar job.

Keith_M
27-11-2018, 02:33 PM
I can't see a situation where we're ever going to need a higher capacity.

Also, only two of the corners could actually be filled in; FF to East and West to South, the latter being less likely as I'm not convinced there's even enough room on that side, so probably just the East to FF (which would be feasible only as a steep single tier, due to the shape of the FF).

So, apart from all those problems, it's a great idea

:wink:

Renfrew_Hibby
27-11-2018, 02:42 PM
There's a lot of scope to what we could do. From filling the corners with seats or actual buildings to something in between.
Watford for example have been praised down south for the way they have enclosed their formally wide open corners to make Vicarage Road one of the best grounds for atmosphere in the Premiership. Only one of their corners actually has seats in it!
With regards to extending the FF and South as mentioned above, there is a good example of that in one of the corners at Brammall Lane in Sheffield, this would give us a capacity of 21,000 and for me change the dynamics of the ground in a positive way.

overdrive
27-11-2018, 02:45 PM
I have a feeling that the ticket office building might be listed anyway which would stop us from knocking it down even if we bought it.

Slavers
27-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Filling in the corners is a bit of a red herring when the real capacity increase would come from a third tier on the West and a 2nd tier on the East.

Ozyhibby
27-11-2018, 02:47 PM

Also, only two of the corners could actually be filled in; FF to East and West to South, the latter being less likely as I'm not convinced there's even enough room on that side, so probably just the East to FF (which would be feasible only as a steep single tier, due to the shape of the FF).

We won’t be adding any more seats anytime soon. There are only 6 games a season that the capacity comes close to being tested. It is just not financially viable. Better spending the money on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2018, 02:49 PM

See my solution above mate. To fully enclose the stadium you don't actually need to do anything in the corners. The FF can be extended sideways to slightly overlap with the east the same way it does with the west … once you do that and extend the roof out the way to meet the east and west roofs you have a fully enclosed north end of the ground … all you are building is a few metres of new decking and roofing, outside of the stadium it wouldn't even have to be enclosed as the rest of the stand is … what you have now would easily cope with another couple of hundred seats added.

Do exactly the same with the south, where there is room to extend the bottom deck … that would leave that end looking a bit quirky, but hey ho, we can call it character and the end result would be a fully enclosed stadium for a relatively small amount of money.

When you look at the stadium on Google earth the amount of work required is miniscule compared to the stadium's size, but IMO would make a huge difference to the look, the feel and the atmosphere of the ground.

lord bunberry
27-11-2018, 03:07 PM
See my solution above mate. To fully enclose the stadium you don't actually need to do anything in the corners. The FF can be extended sideways to slightly overlap with the east the same way it does with the west … once you do that and extend the roof out the way to meet the east and west roofs you have a fully enclosed north end of the ground … all you are building is a few metres of new decking and roofing, outside of the stadium it wouldn't even have to be enclosed as the rest of the stand is … what you have now would easily cope with another couple of hundred seats added.

Do exactly the same with the south, where there is room to extend the bottom deck … that would leave that end looking a bit quirky, but hey ho, we can call it character and the end result would be a fully enclosed stadium for a relatively small amount of money.

When you look at the stadium on Google earth the amount of work required is miniscule compared to the stadium's size, but IMO would make a huge difference to the look, the feel and the atmosphere of the ground.
Will there be chips though?

Bostonhibby
27-11-2018, 03:17 PM
We'll use the £20M transfer fee we get for Oli Shaw when he goes to Man City.Or the helipad money since we'll not need one if isn't being built in the corner.

Another missed opportunity

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Last Minute
27-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Probably not the best time to bring this up again given our stellar form, but I couldn't help thinking to myself at the game on Saturday how ****ing amazing the stadium would look if we filled in the corners. We could either make them a two-tiered thing or just one tier with a big TV scoreboard/advertising board (or maybe just one/two of these) - only problem being connecting the East to the FF and South. I'm guessing two tiers would be the only way to ensure people in the corners can still see the pitch.

Of course, the key questions regarding this would be the following:

What would it take to get attendances high enough to justify doing this? The only way I see it is either a billionaire takes us over and plugs money into the club, with us eventually competing with Celtic (which personally I wouldn't find fun) or the whole of Scottish football gets a cash injection ala a bumper TV deal, leading to a closer title race and better quality of football. Another Scottish Cup wouldn't hurt either
What would the new capacity of Easter Road be? My estimations on Saturday were around the equivalent of half a behind the goal stand per corner, therefore bringing the capaity up to about 28,000.
Where would we put Hearts on derby day? We'd of course be giving all other away fans (and the OF) a corner, but I reckon to keep our reciprocal agrement we'd keep giving them the South minus the corners.
Does anyone have any mock-ups? :wink: I remember seeing one a few years ago and it looked amazing.

Hibs cant even sort the Catering out never mind spend money on filling corners etc.. Even the Tanoy has been crying out to get changed for many years and all we hear is we are working on it.

RG04
27-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Check out west broms ground, they have filled in the corners with all different sizes of stands etc...

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Will there be chips though?

Lets not run before we have learned to walk eh! :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2018, 03:42 PM
There's a lot of scope to what we could do. From filling the corners with seats or actual buildings to something in between.
Watford for example have been praised down south for the way they have enclosed their formally wide open corners to make Vicarage Road one of the best grounds for atmosphere in the Premiership. Only one of their corners actually has seats in it!
With regards to extending the FF and South as mentioned above, there is a good example of that in one of the corners at Brammall Lane in Sheffield, this would give us a capacity of 21,000 and for me change the dynamics of the ground in a positive way.

This cant be right mate, were the Watford forums not full of folk saying why it couldn't and shouldn't be done :cb

Sammy7nil
27-11-2018, 03:47 PM

Nah keep Oli we will get £50M when Slivka returns to Juventus :cb

Waxy
27-11-2018, 04:35 PM
How many fans could we fit in a corner?. Probably worth it in the long run to fill in the North/East corner with a safe standing area. Pay for itself quickly.

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Hibs cant even sort the Catering out never mind spend money on filling corners etc.. Even the Tanoy has been crying out to get changed for many years and all we hear is we are working on it.

Sandwich filling before corner filling, i say.

Famous Fiver
27-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Puzzled.

If the tannoy is cream crackered how is Last Minute able to hear they are working on it?

YanYansen
27-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Au contraire - if i win the Euromillions, the corner between the East and the FF is getting filled in, no question. If it's a big enough win, the bottom tiers of the main stand and the FF will be joined to create a wee Ibrox-away style triangle, with a TV gantry and big screen above it. Then we'll have a horseshoe of home ends. Simples.

I'll keep buying those tickets.

Hermit Crab
27-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Correct. Close thread. :agree:

Inconsequential
27-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Two stands already have their corners missing so how are they going to be filled in? The site of the stadium dictated this and the redevelopment work had to be kept within the boundaries. You can't build on the public highway. :agree:

Slim Shady
27-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Are you suggesting that STF and RP have other means of taking money from our club.

Who would’ve thunk it! 🧐

DarlingtonHibee
27-11-2018, 07:38 PM
The rent facility is to prevent the unlikely hostile take over of the stadium and the club

Halmyre Hibee
27-11-2018, 08:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjdZ3veX0AULKMl.jpg:large

CentreLine
27-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Have to say that looks outrageously good. Needs a big lottery win to make that happen though. 🤩

One Day Soon
27-11-2018, 08:11 PM

WTF is that?

Bobo
27-11-2018, 08:16 PM
There is plenty of scope to do a number of different things with the corners of the stadium but very little justification for spending the money on doing it, at present, unfortunately.

The most likely area for development, IMO, is the Famous Five /East corner of the stadium where there is a large enough footprint to build some sort of structure, be it a hotel or whatever? For this to happen there would need to be some form of outside partnership / investment to make it feasible as I could never see the club undergoing such a large capital expenditure on its own?

If it were to happen and a structure was built, it would be an ideal opportunity to encorporate the construction of a single tier, safe standing area (500-600 spaces) in that corner of the stadium to help generate atmosphere between the two stands.

Sadly I don't think I'll ever see it happen but there is no reason why all the stadium corners couldn't be enclosed, without seating meantime, as has previously been suggested by others.

Weegreenman
27-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Filling in the corners is a bit of a red herring when the real capacity increase would come from a third tier on the West and a 2nd tier on the East.

Maybe help the current rent problem in the time it takes to exit the East stand. It’s an absolute nightmare.

Eyrie
27-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Maybe help the current rent problem in the time it takes to exit the East stand. It’s an absolute nightmare.

I've asked this before - why can't we build external staircases on the back of the East so that fans can exit at the top of the stairways?

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2018, 10:01 PM
The rent facility is to prevent the unlikely hostile take over of the stadium and the clubThat's my understanding. It will be less relevant if and when HSL achieve the 26% shareholding.

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2018, 10:02 PM
Are you suggesting that STF and RP have other means of taking money from our club.

Who would’ve thunk it! [emoji3166]Nobody's biting [emoji38]

monktonharp
27-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Or the helipad money since we'll not need one if isn't being built in the corner.

Another missed opportunity

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TapatalkA bit of a poor comment, re-helipads at this time mate and I am sure you meant it in jest but, I am of the "build it and they will come" brigade , regarding the filling of corners. Firstly though, the joint at the Dunbar end to the West would need to only cover above, with access for tractors , equipment etc. the part joining the Dunbar to the East could easily be done. the part joining the East, to the North looks like it can be done but the problem for the last part might be something to do with the Ticket office block. All in All, it would give the Stadium a completeness, and who can argue with that? when you look at some of the French/German stadiums they look fantastic. Apart from that, why not start with the Dunbar ends? allow bigger clubs more tickets and generate more finance for our club? It would be churlish not to allow clubs that would fill those seats virtually certainly, hence generating much more cash to help pay for the costs involved in extra structure. I just don't get it, when fans virtually say we are too wee to do this! build it. 10 or 15 years from now, I am sure quite a few Scots clubs will be out of the picture altogether. the leagues for professional football will be smaller, and Edinburgh (and us) will have a hellava lot more people living here! I might not be going to games 15 years from now, as my age, and my carer@ s needs might define what I do on Saturdays but hey ho, we'll see.

scoopyboy
27-11-2018, 11:16 PM
I am firmly of the opinion we should not put any money into making the capacity of Easter Road bigger.

For years we've developed the ground and turned it into a fine stadium but this has cost us in terms of investment to the team.

For the foreseeable I want to see all available money pumped into the team (if money has been earmarked for East Mains then fine).

We have had to endure some poor teams since the four stands have been built and understood and supported that, but for me now it's time we had a dash at trying to give the supporters a team that achieves more.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-11-2018, 11:36 PM
If they each get names, one of them has to be That Liam Henderson Corner.

monktonharp
28-11-2018, 12:33 AM
I am firmly of the opinion we should not put any money into making the capacity of Easter Road bigger.

For years we've developed the ground and turned it into a fine stadium but this has cost us in terms of investment to the team.

For the foreseeable I want to see all available money pumped into the team (if money has been earmarked for East Mains then fine).

We have had to endure some poor teams since the four stands have been built and understood and supported that, but for me now it's time we had a dash at trying to give the supporters a team that achieves more.so you want , or are happy to see even more pumped into E.M ? surely not? how much more shall we put into the training centre? I don't get that bit. It is as good as any and better than Most in Scotland.

DarlingtonHibee
28-11-2018, 07:40 AM
so you want , or are happy to see even more pumped into E.M ? surely not? how much more shall we put into the training centre? I don't get that bit. It is as good as any and better than Most in Scotland.

I think they want to build a full size indoor pitch

PatHead
28-11-2018, 07:43 AM
Sure I read it is Not a full size pitch. Just a lot bigger than the current one.

DarlingtonHibee
28-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Sure I read it is Not a full size pitch. Just a lot bigger than the current one.

Stand corrected mate.

GreenArmyyy!
28-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Being realistic we don’t need it, we’d never fill a 25,000 seater stadium outside of derbies so there’s no financial benefit for the club to fork out millions on it.

surreyhibbie
28-11-2018, 09:04 AM
we will fill in the corners when we are regularly playing in the Champions League group sections

so, not for a wee while yet...:wink:

JXM73
28-11-2018, 12:06 PM

Tynecastle sized pitch?

JXM73
28-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Ok my euro millions spend once i got on the board etc:

Safe standing in lower ff
Sort out away fans location, we need to regularly use south stand, including season tickets
Fill corners of ff lower with east/ west with exec/tv boxes above...

The jxm revolution, anyone wanna buy me some euromillion tickets lol

scoopyboy
28-11-2018, 12:23 PM
so you want , or are happy to see even more pumped into E.M ? surely not? how much more shall we put into the training centre? I don't get that bit. It is as good as any and better than Most in Scotland.

My comment was based on money has been set aside for East Mains and the club are committed to doing it.

Other than that I would rather all money in the near future is directed at the playing strength.

You tend not to get a lot between midnight and 2am. :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Being realistic we don’t need it, we’d never fill a 25,000 seater stadium outside of derbies so there’s no financial benefit for the club to fork out millions on it.

Internationals and use for non OF semi-finals?

NAE NOOKIE
28-11-2018, 12:54 PM

This is about a desire to see the stadium completed, not so much about increasing its capacity to 25,000 or anything like it.

When you boil it down we don't need roofs on the stands either .. I mean even Barcelona don't bother with them. The Green Bay Packers, a sports franchise which dwarves Hibs and who play in far less temperate conditions don't have them. We don't need enclosed concourses either, Killie don't have them. We didn't need to extend the pitch to fully comply with UEFA regulations and yet we did. There is no financial benefit in the various social projects Hibs get involved in, and yet we do.

The advancement and upwards progress of a football club ( especially a professional one ) isn't just about what happens on the pitch … it is without doubt the most vital part of it and obviously that should never be neglected for subsidiary projects. But what the stadium is like is a major part of the upwards trajectory of any club, including this one … so if and when we are in a position to do so fully enclosing the stadium is something we should absolutely do … neglecting our progress off the pitch, of which improving the clubs stadium is a big part, would be just as big an abdication of responsibility by the folk running the club as neglecting the team on it would be.

We are not talking about a fortune here, even in the context of Scottish football …. as I outlined in another post, enclosing the stadium could easily be achieved for probably less than 2 million quid …. about 2 million quid less than the amount of money Hearts have been 'gifted' over the last few years and 13 million quid less than Aberdeen have been 'gifted' in the same period.

Hibs will do this eventually, it may take 5 or even 10 years …. but we will do it I guarantee you.

Since90+2
28-11-2018, 01:09 PM
This is about a desire to see the stadium completed, not so much about increasing its capacity to 25,000 or anything like it.

When you boil it down we don't need roofs on the stands either .. I mean even Barcelona don't bother with them. The Green Bay Packers, a sports franchise which dwarves Hibs and who play in far less temperate conditions don't have them. We don't need enclosed concourses either, Killie don't have them. We didn't need to extend the pitch to fully comply with UEFA regulations and yet we did. There is no financial benefit in the various social projects Hibs get involved in, and yet we do.

The advancement and upwards progress of a football club ( especially a professional one ) isn't just about what happens on the pitch … it is without doubt the most vital part of it and obviously that should never be neglected for subsidiary projects. But what the stadium is like is a major part of the upwards trajectory of any club, including this one … so if and when we are in a position to do so fully enclosing the stadium is something we should absolutely do … neglecting our progress off the pitch, of which improving the clubs stadium is a big part, would be just as big an abdication of responsibility by the folk running the club as neglecting the team on it would be.

We are not talking about a fortune here, even in the context of Scottish football …. as I outlined in another post, enclosing the stadium could easily be achieved for probably less than 2 million quid …. about 2 million quid less than the amount of money Hearts have been 'gifted' over the last few years and 13 million quid less than Aberdeen have been 'gifted' in the same period.

Hibs will do this eventually, it may take 5 or even 10 years …. but we will do it I guarantee you.

I'd rather we spent £2 million on the first team squad.

El Gubbz
28-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Would the cheapest option to increase capacity not be to lower the pitch and add more rows at the front, getting fans closer to the action - wouldn't be as steep as Tynecastle but might help give the place the same intimidation factor that the players say Tynie has.

I'd love to see Hibs fill the corners and I believe it's inevitable that one day we will have to increase Easter Roads capacity.

Last year the National Records of Scotland had Edinburgh's population at 513k and the council is predicting that number will rise to 750k by 2050 - Almost a 50% increase. These guys are going to have to go somewhere to watch their fitba!

One Day Soon
28-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Now that I've finally realised the images further up the thread are what ER might look like with the corners filled in I'm even more gung-ho for that than I was previously.

I've always wanted them filled in - whether with seats or initially with walls/screens etc. I think it would make ER a much noisier and more intimidating stadium with a better atmosphere. I'd do it for that alone.

My Euromillions would go on corners filled in, East Stand supplementary stairway exits, converting the old badge cutaways in the stand infrastructure to the new one, installation of vertical arc lights for evening matches, an inclusion endowment for perhaps 100 free season tickets every season in perpetuity and a series of commissioned life size bronze statues of Hibernian heroes - one for every decade of our existence - to be placed either along the East Stand external concourse or all around the stadium. I'd also like special lighting displays installed locally on the approaches to the stadium for match days and afterwards - coloured underlit pavement sections, wall projections, display boxes, streetlights that switch to green and white downlights.

But mostly all the corners filled in.

One Day Soon
28-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Would the cheapest option to increase capacity not be to lower the pitch and add more rows at the front, getting fans closer to the action - wouldn't be as steep as Tynecastle but might help give the place the same intimidation factor that the players say Tynie has.

I'd love to see Hibs fill the corners and I believe it's inevitable that one day we will have to increase Easter Roads capacity.

Last year the National Records of Scotland had Edinburgh's population at 513k and the council is predicting that number will rise to 750k by 2050 - Almost a 50% increase. These guys are going to have to go somewhere to watch their fitba!

2050 eh? Must be a fair chance one of them can have my seat by then...

El Gubbz
28-11-2018, 01:28 PM
I suspect most will already be here by 2049...

Tynie01011973
28-11-2018, 01:33 PM

Hopefully NOT One Day Soon 😜

NAE NOOKIE
28-11-2018, 01:39 PM
I'd rather we spent £2 million on the first team squad.

Its about finding a balance between the two mate. Besides that, the way clubs like Hibs operate means we cant spend two million quid on players .. who we sign depends on our wage structure, not what transfer fees we can pay, and a one off sum of 2 million quid would be of little benefit to our long term wage strategy … that has to be based on long term consistency of income to enable us to sustain that wage structure. It the same reason that Celtic don't spend the 10 million quid they could afford on a player they would have to pay £50,000 a week … it would be unsustainable.

The vision for any club has to be an ambition to sustain and grow it both on and off the pitch …. The aim on the park should certainly be to keep pace with and hopefully exceed the amount our direct rivals like Aberdeen, Hearts and at one time Dundee Utd are paying their players … do that and we should be in the running for European qualification and the cups every season. But once we have reached that aim the club's progress off the pitch should also be a major consideration.

It would show a distinct lack of ambition and positivity for the clubs future if we didn't think of the clubs whole structure and have the aim to improve it both on and off the park …. the team, the fans, the training facilities, the stadium … are all part of what makes Hibernian Hibernian, some of those parts are more important than others, but the ambition should be to make all these parts the very best they can be.

As things stand there is room for improvement in all areas, it is the job of the clubs custodians to address all of those areas …. and that includes the stadium.

.Sean.
28-11-2018, 04:38 PM

The extend the stands behind the goals is genius, and would look excellent.

Maybe properly constructed tv studio to further enclose a corner at one of the sides of the West too.

Kojock
28-11-2018, 04:43 PM
The extend the stands behind the goals is genius, and would look excellent.

Maybe properly constructed tv studio to further enclose a corner at one of the sides of the West too.

Forget the TV studio I would rather see McCoist etc being exposed to the elements freezing cold and soaking wet.

Waxy
28-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Forget the TV studio I would rather see McCoist etc being exposed to the elements freezing cold and soaking wet.

The tv scaffolding on the old east terracing was brilliant in the early 80s. The corners where filled in then too.

Keith_M
28-11-2018, 07:02 PM
I'm going to win the Euromillions this weekend, buy Hibs and make the following changes to the Stadium...

Build a new Family Section in the North East Corner
Convert the FF Lower to a Standing Section.
Add massive Video Screens in the North West and South East corners of the ground
Have a retractable fifty foot high and six foot wide pole in front of the South Stand, for when Celtc visit.

SteveHFC
28-11-2018, 10:00 PM
I'm going to win the Euromillions this weekend, buy Hibs and make the following changes to the Stadium...

Build a new Family Section in the North East Corner
Convert the FF Lower to a Standing Section.
Add massive Video Screens in the North West and South East corners of the ground
Have a retractable fifty foot high and six foot wide pole in front of the South Stand, for when Celtc visit.

I would leave Easter road and build a super new 30’000 capcaity stadium in Straiton.

monktonharp
29-11-2018, 01:49 AM
I would leave Easter road and build a super new 30’000 capcaity stadium in Straiton.aye, but would you have a Joe Baker Boulavarde along the front of it?

monktonharp
29-11-2018, 11:11 PM
My comment was based on money has been set aside for East Mains and the club are committed to doing it.

Other than that I would rather all money in the near future is directed at the playing strength.

You tend not to get a lot between midnight and 2am. :greengrin:greengrin:greengrinright then, its 11:08 and I have a wee slot, and that is, my comments as previous are still the same.:wink::wink::wink: been into the training centre today? each to their own mate, you do your stuff I do mine.

SideBurns
29-11-2018, 11:24 PM
The tv scaffolding on the old east terracing was brilliant in the early 80s. The corners where filled in then too.

To be fair, lots of things got filled in at ER back in the early 80s - crosswords (as the game was generally boring), visiting football hooligans (foolishly taking on the rather better equipped Hibernian version)....

Alright, maybe only two things.

SteveHFC
30-11-2018, 12:16 AM
aye, but would you have a Joe Baker Boulavarde along the front of it?
:agree:

judas
08-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Is there anything we could build in the corners that would generate a consistent income for the club - enough to pay off the spend whilst simultaneously improving studying atmosphere.

I can’t think of anything.

SRHibs
08-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Is there anything we could build in the corners that would generate a consistent income for the club - enough to pay off the spend whilst simultaneously improving studying atmosphere.

Seats could be good.

wearehibernian
09-08-2019, 12:14 AM

A safe standing section would be good in the FF corner. Or even in the interim you could have a floral mound planted in the form of one of our many legends. A wee bit of imagination to emphasise the fact that we are a club with imagination and mbracing nature too. :agree: What about a massive banner space where supporters/artists (who love the hibs etc) could create artwork and the likes? Would add a lot to the ground and yet again Hibs would be front runners. All good IMO :flag:

wearehibernian
09-08-2019, 12:16 AM
Although it might not pay financially in obvious terms it would certainly set us apart and make people want to visit our stadium. i.e. extra revenue...

Mixu62
09-08-2019, 12:35 AM
Seats could be good.

How much would temporary terracing cost? I see some lower and non-league teams in England have tried it, and East Fife in Scotland. Maybe as a home for the singing section? Space for say 600-700 with the noise echoing down the East, maybe even encouraging more folk to join in, and nobody has to have their seat re-located.

However, before we think about filling them in with anything, a question, if there are any architects or structural engineers on .net. Does the framework at the end of each stand provide structural support for the roof, or is it purely there as additional shelter from the elements? If the former, then forget it, it probably can't be done anyway. Or maybe we could put in those "tower" type structures they have at Genoa/Sampdoria?

Peevemor
09-08-2019, 01:57 AM
The gable ends of the FF & South stands were originally open and were framed and clad afterward as added shelter from the elements.

I would imagine that, given the similar roof structure (and lack of diagonal bracing), the steelwork to the East & West stand gabled won't be load bearing either.

DickieDastardly
09-08-2019, 05:51 AM
The East was built with a view to being able to modify, the talk originally being a hotel within the innards of the framework right along the length of the concourse, that would have included the corner with the FF stand being filled as part of the hotel development.

Several clubs in England have that arrangement which brings constant revenue to the stadium.

PercyHibs
09-08-2019, 06:39 AM
I’ve always though a hibs Museum would be a great idea. With our rich history I’m sure there loads of amazing pieces out there to show. Couple that with a match day bar and I think it would be a good money maker.

Jones28
09-08-2019, 07:19 AM
The East was built with a view to being able to modify, the talk originally being a hotel within the innards of the framework right along the length of the concourse, that would have included the corner with the FF stand being filled as part of the hotel development.

Several clubs in England have that arrangement which brings constant revenue to the stadium.

I’ve stayed in a hotel in Sheffield that was integrated with Bramall Lane which was really cool.

jacomo
09-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Seats could be good.

Radical!

Onceinawhile
09-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Seats could be good.

But that wouldn't pay off the expenditure. A seat in the east stand cost roughly £430 to build (3,000,000 / 7,000) and that was a relatively straightforward build whilst the price of steel was at a historical low.

Filling in a corner would cost more and the price of steel has gone back up, so you're looking at a much, much higher cost per seat, meaning it would take 4-5 seasons to pay off, thus hugely reducing the available budget for the playing squad.

In addition. I really, really don't think we would get planning permission for anything on the east side of the ground due to the flats that are now there. The North West can't be built on, which leaves the south west, which would involve buying the car park behind the stand again making it hugely costly.

Can't see us building into corners any time soon at all.

Wakeyhibee
09-08-2019, 10:06 AM

A mortgage brokers?

Monts
09-08-2019, 10:14 AM

A casino

Hibby70
09-08-2019, 10:41 AM
What about a Hibs Gym?

Sean1875
09-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Titty bar.

Renfrew_Hibby
09-08-2019, 05:10 PM
A community hub?

Could contain classrooms or workshops, meeting places or lecture rooms.
Basically anything. Could have gyms, cafes, Hibs museum or a match day space for kids and families.

Pre match eateries which actually serve up edible food/meals in a Hibs themed environment.

Maybe a combination of the above or something completely different.

More and more English clubs are integrating hotels into their stadium, as mentioned above, Sheffield United have built a really good and interesting facility into one of the corners of Bramall Lane and that could be a good model to follow.

I would personally have some limited seating and a facility below and behind it. If you were to continue the lower tier of the Famous Five round to connect with the East, that would add around 500 to 600 seats, it could be a dedicated safe standing area and you would still have loads of space to develop outwards and upwards.

Keith_M
09-08-2019, 07:52 PM
However, before we think about filling them in with anything, a question, if there are any architects or structural engineers on .net. Does the framework at the end of each stand provide structural support for the roof, or is it purely there as additional shelter from the elements? If the former, then forget it, it probably can't be done anyway. Or maybe we could put in those "tower" type structures they have at Genoa/Sampdoria?

It's not load bearing, no

Theoretically, we could build in the North East corner and join the two stands together. The only 'restriction' (if it is even that), is that it would have to match the rake of the East, i.e. be just as steep.

If we filled in the whole corner, we could fit roughly 1,700-1,800 seats in that area. The problem is that it would cost a few million, so would be hard to justify the cost.

Hermit Crab
10-08-2019, 01:39 AM
There hasn't been, and won't be any need to fill in the corners anytime soon. Leave the ground as it is.

FilipinoHibs
10-08-2019, 01:44 AM
There hasn't been, and won't be any need to fill in the corners anytime soon. Leave the ground as it is.

Wait till we win the league and we have to accommodate all the fair weather fans again.

Hermit Crab
10-08-2019, 01:47 AM
Wait till we win the league and we have to accommodate all the fair weather fans again.

Thats not happening anytime soon bud.

MagicSwirlingShip
10-08-2019, 03:16 AM

Ah yes, the Lochend Park Plaza

Cataplana
10-08-2019, 07:14 AM
From the point of view of the wider community, over provision of hotels is becoming a bit of a problem for those that live in the city.

I think it would be out of character for the area, and the club has a responsibility to its neighbours.

Besides, filling in the corners isn't needed.

judas
10-08-2019, 07:38 AM
I think filling 2 corners with seating is a bit of a white elephant. It won’t generate income other than for the odd fixture.

For me it has to be a building (Genoa style)

This would certainly improve atmosphere.

In terms of income generation, I don’t see a hotel or bar working down there. And I think it would be hard to make it work with building control and planning authorities (I’m not convinced that a structure butting up directly against the gables of two stands would be permitted - I think a boundary would be required.

I don’t think a gym would work as the competition is too stiff. The new Meadowbank looks like it will be sizeable and awesome and there are a plethora of other gym venues.

A community hub is certainly a noble idea and one that I think would attract people. But I don’t see it generating income.

Office and conferencing suites might work. But again; is there much demand for such a thing in that location?

So the original question stands. What can be done with this substantial space to make it work for Hibs.

judas
10-08-2019, 07:42 AM
A casino

Interesting. Do you think the demand is there for a Casino in that location.

And would this pose moral and ethical questions of the club?

jacomo
10-08-2019, 07:45 AM

People said there was no need to build the new East too.

It doesn’t feel like the first priority at the moment, but if Hibs kick on under new ownership, it could be.

The rising population and affluence of Edinburgh is interesting too. Our city rivals have effectively capped their maximum capacity at just under 20k and their hospitality facilities are hugely compromised.

There is a long term prize to be won here.

Northernhibee
10-08-2019, 07:47 AM
Trampolines.

judas
10-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Trampolines.

At first I thought you joking but why not?

Every other trampoline park is rammed.

judas
10-08-2019, 07:56 AM
People said there was no need to build the new East too.

It doesn’t feel like the first priority at the moment, but if Hibs kick on under new ownership, it could be.

The rising population and affluence of Edinburgh is interesting too. Our city rivals have effectively capped their maximum capacity at just under 20k and their hospitality facilities are hugely compromised.

There is a long term prize to be won here.

Agreed.

To leave a large 4m high mound of earth on which to precariously park cars is wasteful.

We need to extract as much potential usage and revenue from what we have here.

It’s a luxury some clubs do not have.

RoYO!
10-08-2019, 08:09 AM
What’s the latest on the NHS hub? Could this be extended into the corner?

Nicho87
10-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Any IT guy able to do a photo shop of the east stand with filled corners. Post earlier in the thread looks outstanding

judas
10-08-2019, 01:19 PM
What’s the latest on the NHS hub? Could this be extended into the corner?

I’m not sure but I think that may be finished.