PDA

View Full Version : Matt Doherty

hibsbollah
25-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Always pleasurable to see this absolute traffic warden of a man make an erse of things. On Motd2 a sloppy pass givng the ball away,followed by lazy attempt to cover, results in his otherwise talented Wolves team going 1-0 down.

I hear he is much improved, but it's a mystery to me how he's playing at the top level.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2018, 11:12 PM
No mystery at all, was a good player here in a terrible team. Came all the way up the league's with Wolves, stayed in the side despite big money being invested, very highly thought of there. Full international as well.

Don't really get the hate, said in the other thread he's just a stupid lad who said something stupid. Guys who were supposed to be our own like O'Connor and Murray let us down alot more.

hibsbollah
25-11-2018, 11:22 PM
No mystery at all, was a good player here in a terrible team. Came all the way up the league's with Wolves, stayed in the side despite big money being invested, very highly thought of there. Full international as well.

Don't really get the hate, said in the other thread he's just a stupid lad who said something stupid. Guys who were supposed to be our own like O'Connor and Murray let us down alot more.

I don't hate him, I just never saw any evidence that he was a player capable of playing at that level. Even a disinterested loan signing normally gives a glimpse.

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 11:35 PM
I don't hate him, I just never saw any evidence that he was a player capable of playing at that level. Even a disinterested loan signing normally gives a glimpse.

I thought he was a very decent player here in what was a horrific team. Always feel like his ability has been played down because people hate hin. Agree with MW that there’s others who were meant to be “one of us” who let us down a hell of a lot more that day.

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2018, 03:26 AM

I agree.

Beefster
26-11-2018, 06:47 AM

I’m not sure there was evidence that he would end up holding his own at an EPL side but Doherty was one of the better loanees under Fenlon IMHO.

Hiber-nation
26-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Had 2 poor games in 5 months for us and done a daft laddie sort of thing the day after the final. Apart from that he's been very good for Wolves but his efforts at the first goal yesterday were criminal.

Smartie
26-11-2018, 07:55 AM
After having had a living legend playing there for the past few years, it is easy to forget how much of a problem the RB position was for us for a while.

Doherty came in and played regularly to a high standard, helping us out of a bit of a fix.

I jumped on the "Doherty is a twat" bandwagon and hated him for years, then I watched his post- cup- final interviews a few months and changed my opinion.

Good player who has had an excellent career.

Having said all that, there IS still a wee bit of me that chuckles when he flogs goals. That headed og earlier this season was lovely.

calumhibee1
26-11-2018, 08:11 AM
After having had a living legend playing there for the past few years, it is easy to forget how much of a problem the RB position was for us for a while.

Doherty came in and played regularly to a high standard, helping us out of a bit of a fix.

I jumped on the "Doherty is a twat" bandwagon and hated him for years, then I watched his post- cup- final interviews a few months and changed my opinion.

Good player who has had an excellent career.

Having said all that, there IS still a wee bit of me that chuckles when he flogs goals. That headed og earlier this season was lovely.

I also watched it recently because I’d forgotten what was said. I can see why people were annoyed in the heat of the moment but it’s not that bad an interview. A more experienced player maybe would have handled it slightly better but it’s not the car crash it’s made out to be.

GreenArmyyy!
26-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Was it not more than his post cup final interview though?

Sure he was caught pissing himself in the background of GOC’s post match interview then tweeted something as well.

Can’t stand the guy, never disliked an ex Hibs player so much.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Was it not more than his post cup final interview though?

Sure he was caught pissing himself in the background of GOC’s post match interview then tweeted something as well.

Can’t stand the guy, never disliked an ex Hibs player so much.

It was O'Connor who was laughing in the background.

eastcoasthibby
26-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Had 2 poor games in 5 months for us and done a daft laddie sort of thing the day after the final. Apart from that he's been very good for Wolves but his efforts at the first goal yesterday were criminal.
About as bad as Boyle , Mallan and Hanlons contributions to Dundee goals on Saturday ....😬

overdrive
26-11-2018, 10:43 AM
He didn’t get off to a good start with us either IIRC. Kept calling us Hearts in his Hibs TV interview when he signed.

Hiber-nation
26-11-2018, 10:47 AM
About as bad as Boyle , Mallan and Hanlons contributions to Dundee goals on Saturday ....😬

Yep, I thought of Boyle at the first goal when I saw that....

IberianHibernian
26-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Was a great signing by Fenlon . The best right back we`ve had in recent years and I wish him well . Very much doubt he was only one to say something silly on the spur of the moment that day and even if he was he was in his teens and it happened more than 6 years ago .

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Was a great signing by Fenlon . The best right back we`ve had in recent years

I have absolutely heard it all now :faf:

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2018, 12:02 PM
I have absolutely heard it all now :faf:

On paper it's true though, he'd walk into the current side.

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 12:07 PM
On paper it's true though, he'd walk into the current side.

He played 13 games for a us, in a team that finished second bottom and was part of a defence that got turned over week in week out in the SPL. I had a season ticket so I had a good view. I also watched him personally gift two goals away at Motherwell in a shocking defeat.

Best right back in recent years, indeed.

calumhibee1
26-11-2018, 12:11 PM
He played 13 games for a us, in a team that finished second bottom and was part of a defence that got turned over week in week out in the SPL. I had a season ticket so I had a good view. I also watched him personally gift two goals away at Motherwell in a shocking defeat.

He definitely wasn’t when he was at Hibs although he was still decent.

If we’re using his career/ability now to suggest he’s the best then by that logic the best would probably be Whittaker rather than Docherty.

overdrive
26-11-2018, 12:13 PM

I know their careers have since gone in the polar opposite direction, but at the time I genuinely preferred the other right back we had on loan, George Francombe to him.

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 12:18 PM
He definitely wasn’t when he was at Hibs although he was still decent.

If we’re using his career/ability now to suggest he’s the best then by that logic the best would probably be Whittaker rather than Docherty.

Whittaker and Doherty have carved out decent careers, i agree, but thats not what was said.

In this strange parallel universe , Im now casting a vote for Thierry Gathuessi, Kujabi and Torben Joneleit as the best right backs in modern times. Pass the tramadol please nurse.

One Day Soon
26-11-2018, 12:19 PM
His remarks were as unforgiveable as his performances were unremarkable. I wish he'd never worn a Hibs shirt.

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 12:19 PM
I know their careers have since gone in the polar opposite direction, but at the time I genuinely preferred the other right back we had on loan, George Francombe to him.

Absolutely, he did look a lot more assured. Took corners too i think, or if not certainly got forward and banged in plenty of crosses. Funny how some players flatter to deceive.

calumhibee1
26-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Whittaker and Doherty have carved out decent careers, i agree, but thats not what was said.

In this strange parallel universe , Im now casting a vote for Thierry Gathuessi, Kujabi and Torben Joneleit as the best right backs in modern times. Pass the tramadol please nurse.

I think that’s probably what was meant though. I doubt the poster thought he was the best right back Hibs have had in recent times while he was playing for Hibs... surely 👀

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 12:21 PM
It was O'Connor who was laughing in the background.

...someone told him that Doherty was the best Hibs right back in modern times

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Let’s wish this former Hibernian soldier all the best and cease this crass ongoing bitterness towards someone who has obviously grown as a player and person since his brief tenure with us.

Five-one was a **** show but an inevitable one caused by decades of financial doping and crass manipulation resulting in the bumping of Edinburgh businesses and charities by a shameful organization which embodies the very worst of a corrupt sport and footballing administration all within the context of the financialized spiv era of neoliberal nonsense. We were in an ultra cheapskate mode of coming out the end of paying for a new stadium. It was compounded by viciously vindictive refereeing from a prick who shall remain nameless.

It wasn’t pleasant, but to imbue the frustration and anger at all of that into an ill advised comment from a mouthy teen is to lose all perspective.

And anyone who thinks MD wouldn’t improve that defense is nuts.

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 12:31 PM
His remarks were as unforgiveable as his performances were unremarkable. I wish he'd never worn a Hibs shirt.

At last! Sanity! I'm grabbing onto this post like a drowning man looking for a rope.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Now he's playing every week in the premier league. So on paper he's the best we've had. His performances were decent in a poor side. Wasn't that Motherwell game 4-3 and Doherty scored for us? Not really that shocking. Scored at important goal Vs Dunfermline as well.

Gray obviously is the best we've had in recent years but Doherty is a better player who is playing at a much higher level.

The Modfather
26-11-2018, 12:40 PM
I’d rather consign the Fenlon era to the dark recesses of my mind. What a grim time that was to be a Hibee.

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Now he's playing every week in the premier league. So on paper he's the best we've had. His performances were decent in a poor side. Wasn't that Motherwell game 4-3 and Doherty scored for us? Not really that shocking. Scored at important goal Vs Dunfermline as well.

Gray obviously is the best we've had in recent years but Doherty is a better player who is playing at a much higher level.

I think you think that 'on paper' means something else from what it actually means.

His performance at Motherwell was that bad he apologised afterwards. Look it up. He was booed by what sounded like the majority of the support. I was there. I promise. He was lost.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2018, 01:05 PM
I think you think that 'on paper' means something else from what it actually means.

His performance at Motherwell was that bad he apologised afterwards. Look it up. He was booed by what sounded like the majority of the support. I was there. I promise. He was lost.

I was there too. The ones booing the 19 year old lad are the ones who should apologize. Doesn't matter now really. He's earning 5 figures in a top league. Good for him.

scoopyboy
26-11-2018, 01:10 PM
I’d rather consign the Fenlon era to the dark recesses of my mind. What a grim time that was to be a Hibee.

Not arguing but got to consecutive Scottish Cup Finals, far better feat than the Famous Five or Turnbulls Tornadoes.

When I think about it I've seen as many poor Hibs teams playing in a Scottish Cup Final as good sides.

hibsbollah
26-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Not arguing but got to consecutive Scottish Cup Finals, far better feat than the Famous Five or Turnbulls Tornadoes.

When I think about it I've seen as many poor Hibs teams playing in a Scottish Cup Final as good sides.

The finals were the best thing about his reign. I also liked being able to get two seats together anywhere in the stadium. Not so easy these days.