PDA

View Full Version : On that showing I'm more worried about the relegation zone than the top four

G B Young
24-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Mind-bogglingly poor. You could argue that if we'd gone in 2-0 up at half-time we would have likely won without too much trouble, but the fragility is alarming and the seeming absence of desire to get things back on track is puzzling. It seems a long time ago but when we were tearing Hamilton apart 6-0 you could see that everyone wanted the ball and there was joyfulness running through our play. We've lost some top players, granted, but the squad we have should be capable of a great deal more than this.

Has Lennon lost his touch? What has characterised his tenure until now is the way we almost always bounce back quickly from the odd bad performance. At present I can't see where a win is coming from.

hibsbollah
24-11-2018, 04:25 PM
We've never been right since all this Brexit pish started.

stoneyburn hibs
24-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Aye right then.

blackpoolhibs
24-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Mind-bogglingly poor. You could argue that if we'd gone in 2-0 up at half-time we would have likely won without too much trouble, but the fragility is alarming and the seeming absence of desire to get things back on track is puzzling. It seems a long time ago but when we were tearing Hamilton apart 6-0 you could see that everyone wanted the ball and there was joyfulness running through our play. We've lost some top players, granted, but the squad we have should be capable of a great deal more than this.

Has Lennon lost his touch? What has characterised his tenure until now is the way we almost always bounce back quickly from the odd bad performance. At present I can't see where a win is coming from.

FFS knee jerking at it's finest, i'm more worried that i wont get a shot at Jennifer Aniston than i am of this team ever being relegated, no matter how pish we were today.

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 04:28 PM

We’ll be well clear of relegation. Well also be well away from top 6 though.

G B Young
24-11-2018, 05:24 PM
FFS knee jerking at it's finest, i'm more worried that i wont get a shot at Jennifer Aniston than i am of this team ever being relegated, no matter how pish we were today.

I'm not saying I think we could actually be relegated, but watching Hibs at present reminds me of a few years back. We look bereft of inspirataion, let alone any obvious tactics, and when you're just hoping to **** we can hold on for a point at home to Dundee there's no denying we're heading in the wrong direction right now.

blackpoolhibs
24-11-2018, 05:28 PM
I'm not saying I think we could actually be relegated, but watching Hibs at present reminds me of a few years back. We look bereft of inspirataion, let alone any obvious tactics, and when you're just hoping to **** we can hold on for a point at home to Dundee there's no denying we're heading in the wrong direction right now.

You were the one who mentioned relegation, and as i said,i'm not remotely worried about Hibs being in the relegation zone.

The Green Goblin
24-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Just no.

lord bunberry
24-11-2018, 05:29 PM

Stop it. We won’t be anywhere near the relegation zone. We need to bring in some decent midfielders in January as we haven’t come close to replacing last years midfielders. I kept waiting on us signing someone in the summer and it’s criminal that we didn’t after we received the money for McGinn.

we are hibs
24-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Relegation is a bit far but we could be cut away in the bottom 6 unless we get our act together pronto. Today was yet another opportunity with Aberdeen and hearts losing to close the gap but we completely shat it yet again

Smartie
24-11-2018, 05:34 PM
He didn't say he thought we'd be relegated.

I agree that ON THAT SHOWING we should be looking down rather than up.

We have a lot of games to play between now and the transfer window opening with a shambles of a midfield, and that's not a recipe for success.

Steve20
24-11-2018, 05:35 PM
We are in no danger of relegation. We have no chance of top 4 though. We might scrape the top 6 if we get our act together a wee bit.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2018, 05:36 PM
We'll not be remotely close to being relegated but it's looking increasingly likely that we will be in the bottom six this year unless things change drastically.

We don't look like a great side at all right now.

B.H.F.C
24-11-2018, 05:40 PM
We'll not be remotely close to being relegated but it's looking increasingly likely that we will be in the bottom six this year unless things change drastically.

We don't look like a great side at all right now.

We don’t look good at all.

I still think we’ll do enough to reach top six but not anything more than that.

ac1
24-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Ever since the Butcher team I have a bit of fear at the back of the mind - it does not take much for a team to lose confidence and points become harder to pick up.

I think we will be midtable in the end. The Scottish Cup feelgood factor feels like its wore off this season though. Losing SJM has been a tough one to take and its put a bit of a downer on the season so far

Jonnyboy
24-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Relegation is a bit far but we could be cut away in the bottom 6 unless we get our act together pronto. Today was yet another opportunity with Aberdeen and hearts losing to close the gap but we completely shat it yet again

Technically, we did :wink:

Jonnyboy
24-11-2018, 09:21 PM
I’m glad someone else noticed that we’re one place higher up the table than this morning.

And one point closer to Aberdeen and Hearts :agree:

Saturday Boy
24-11-2018, 09:24 PM
And one point closer to Aberdeen and Hearts :agree:

Thanks for quoting me, I’ve no idea how I managed to delete my post.

Tv remote in one hand and my phone in the other , probably.

Jonnyboy
24-11-2018, 09:27 PM
Thanks for quoting me, I’ve no idea how I managed to delete my post.

Tv remote in one hand and my phone in the other , probably.

Could have been worse, you might have deleted I'm a Celebrity ……… or maybe could have been better :greengrin

One Day Soon
24-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Technically, we did :wink:

Facts eh?

greenpaper55
24-11-2018, 09:31 PM
We have not won a game in the last five, only Dundee are matching that !

Saturday Boy
24-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Could have been worse, you might have deleted I'm a Celebrity ……… or maybe could have been better :greengrin

True. I kept switching over to see if the Boca game was on. I’ll just have to watch my River City box set now 😄

Robbo6-2
24-11-2018, 09:32 PM
OP is correct.

Its been awful for weeks and we are in free fall.

Really sad where we are heading.

theonlywayisup
24-11-2018, 09:39 PM

I'm going to put you on my ignore list. Whenever I see that you've posted on .net, I know it will be a load of rubbish.

vahibbie
24-11-2018, 09:40 PM

JESUS. Ye don't half get some nonsense on here when we don't get a result.
Crap as we were today we will be nowhere near relegation.

One Day Soon
24-11-2018, 09:44 PM
OP is correct.

Why on earth would you pick Robbo27 as a username? Robertson scored 27 goals against us for the YamFuds so is it meant to be some kind of reverse humour?

SideBurns
24-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Perhaps the thread title has prompted some of the responses, because to be honest I can't see a lot wrong with the content of the OP's post. We seem to have lost the ability to control a game; I don't know if the Aussies were feeling the effects of the week just gone, as Milligan in particular seemed well off the pace.

When I saw the team selection I was quite happy, and so I'm not sure how much blame can be attached to the manager. However, so much of the play seems to be directed towards Kamberi for him to either hold the ball or lay it off; there is a lack of imagination outside of that, in my view, and not enough movement off the ball.

Crab apple
24-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Why on earth would you pick Robbo27 as a username? Robertson scored 27 goals against us for the YamFuds so is it meant to be some kind of reverse humour?

The Yam isn’t known for intelligence let alone subtelty.

Crab apple
24-11-2018, 09:52 PM

No danger will be in the relegation zone. A poor run yes but no major surgery required. We need a big target man and Scott Allan. We’re also missing leadership on the pitch and badly miss David Gray.

Weegreenman
24-11-2018, 09:54 PM
could this be the start of the decline after the high’s of the last two years? I hope not but things are looking a tad gloomy.

One Day Soon
24-11-2018, 09:56 PM
No danger will be in the relegation zone. A poor run yes but no major surgery required. We need a big target man and Scott Allan. We’re also missing leadership on the pitch and badly miss David Gray.

All that needs to be said is in that post. Common sense, no hyperbole and a very distinct lack of headless chicken.

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Perhaps the thread title has prompted some of the responses, because to be honest I can't see a lot wrong with the content of the OP's post. We seem to have lost the ability to control a game; I don't know if the Aussies were feeling the effects of the week just gone, as Milligan in particular seemed well off the pace.

When I saw the team selection I was quite happy, and so I'm not sure how much blame can be attached to the manager. However, so much of the play seems to be directed towards Kamberi for him to either hold the ball or lay it off; there is a lack of imagination outside of that, in my view, and not enough movement off the ball.

Agree with all that. I forgot what thread I’d clicked on but when I read the OP I agreed with the majority of it. Don’t necessarily agree with the title though. Probably cause I’m not worried about either - no chance we’ll be top 4 and no chance we’ll be relegation material.

I was quite happy with the team aswell so I can’t complain on that front. Although I don’t rate them I can’t fathom where some of our players keep disappearing to - Slivka and Hyndman seem to vanish for weeks at a time with no explanation.

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 09:59 PM

Depends what we’re aiming for. If it’s top four then major surgery is required. If it’s top 6 then a couple will do. However if it’s top 6 then whoever decided that was the aim should be out the door.

Borderhibbie76
24-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Stop it. We won’t be anywhere near the relegation zone. We need to bring in some decent midfielders in January as we haven’t come close to replacing last years midfielders. I kept waiting on us signing someone in the summer and it’s criminal that we didn’t after we received the money for McGinn.Ah but many of us were criticized for questioning the transfers in the summer and were told we were bed wetters?? Funny that coz now the squad both in midfield and up front looks nowhere near good enough for a top 4 maybe even top 6 finish... we are so reliant on Kamberi and Maclaren up front it's frightening and both look shadows of last season. Then we have the likes of Mallan and Boyle who seem undroppable under Lennon despite being absolute gash for weeks. Horgan got a 3 year deal and looks way short of what's required at this level...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 10:05 PM
Ah but many of us were criticized for questioning the transfers in the summer and were told we were bed wetters?? Funny that coz now the squad both in midfield and up front looks nowhere near good enough for a top 4 maybe even top 6 finish... we are so reliant on Kamberi and Maclaren up front it's frightening and both look shadows of last season. Then we have the likes of Mallan and Boyle who seem undroppable under Lennon despite being absolute gash for weeks. Horgan got a 3 year deal and looks way short of what's required at this level...

Thank god we waited until the end of the window when all the good players became available.

SquashedFrogg
24-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Well or we'll? Either way you are talking nonsense.

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Well or we'll? Either way you are talking nonsense.

You think Well will be top 6? :greengrin

I meant we’ll of course. And at this rate I’m not so sure it’s nonsense. We will be nowhere near Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Killie and Aberdeen. St Johnstone could be out of sight by the end of this month with the fixtures we have.

Borderhibbie76
24-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Thank god we waited until the end of the window when all the good players became available.Absolutely...that's what all the "experts" on here told us would happen?? Why we never signed Scott Allan and at least 1 if not 2 more strikers in the summer I will never understand...serious business needing done in Jan or Dempster better be prepared for a fall in ST sales - just not good enough at present

Crab apple
24-11-2018, 10:14 PM
You think Well will be top 6? :greengrin

I meant we’ll of course. And at this rate I’m not so sure it’s nonsense. We will be nowhere near Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Killie and Aberdeen. St Johnstone could be out of sight by the end of this month with the fixtures we have.

No one is happy with our current run of form and we’re definitely short of a big target man and a Scott Allan type but to suggest we’ll be nowhere near the yams is nonsense. Seven points behind them and we have a game in hand. They haven’t scored since naismith got injured and lost to st mirren today.

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 10:17 PM
No one is happy with our current run of form and we’re definitely short of a big target man and a Scott Allan type but to suggest we’ll be nowhere near the yams is nonsense. Seven points behind them and we have a game in hand. They haven’t scored since naismith got injured and lost to st mirren today.

Our game in hand is away to Rangers at which point we’ll more than likely still be 7 behind as we’ll not get anything there. We’re averaging less than 1.5 points per game. 7 points is a fairly big gap to a team picking up as few points as we are.

Crab apple
24-11-2018, 10:19 PM
Let’s see where things are after we beat them at Easter Road on 29th.

Borderhibbie76
24-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Let’s see where things are after we beat them at Easter Road on 29th.That's a very confident prediction considering our current form and they will have the likes of Berra and Naismith fit by then...our form will need to pick up a helluva lot to be that confident by 29th

Crab apple
24-11-2018, 10:26 PM
That's a very confident prediction considering our current form and they will have the likes of Berra and Naismith fit by then...our form will need to pick up a helluva lot to be that confident by 29th

No reason not to be confident. The Yams haven’t scored in their last five games and have a brutal record at ER in recent seasons.

Borderhibbie76
24-11-2018, 10:28 PM
No reason not to be confident. The Yams haven’t scored in their last five games and have a brutal record at ER in recent seasons.We haven't won in 5 and just about got a draw at home to the bottom club...don't get your confidence tbh though it is to be admired

Crab apple
24-11-2018, 10:36 PM
You can never be too confident in a derby but a few people on here thinking the yams are miles ahead of us because of their early season bounce when they’re clearly not. Arguably they are on a worse run than us. That said we need to focus on our own form and improvement is needed. The right signings in January will be important.

Jim44
24-11-2018, 10:39 PM
Bog standard ......... what else can you say!???

Scotty Leither
24-11-2018, 10:42 PM
Depends what we’re aiming for. If it’s top four then major surgery is required. If it’s top 6 then a couple will do. However if it’s top 6 then whoever decided that was the aim should be out the door.

Aye there's the rub...Top 6 is probably considered "success" at nice 'n safe Hibernian FC.

stoneyburn hibs
24-11-2018, 10:48 PM
Absolutely...that's what all the "experts" on here told us would happen?? Why we never signed Scott Allan and at least 1 if not 2 more strikers in the summer I will never understand...serious business needing done in Jan or Dempster better be prepared for a fall in ST sales - just not good enough at present

You've always been close to the point of being hysterical, now you've reached it.

Borderhibbie76
24-11-2018, 10:56 PM
You've always been close to the point of being hysterical, now you've reached it.Hardly I expressed disappointment with our recruitment ...Hardly hysteria?? Though that's what happens on here when u don't toe the party line and dare pose a question...
I'd be delighted to be proved wrong and this squad to get us top 4...just not looking likely at present.
Few key positions needing strengthened in Jan...my concern is there are some massive games between now and the window opening

stoneyburn hibs
24-11-2018, 11:19 PM
Hardly I expressed disappointment with our recruitment ...Hardly hysteria?? Though that's what happens on here when u don't toe the party line and dare pose a question...
I'd be delighted to be proved wrong and this squad to get us top 4...just not looking likely at present.
Few key positions needing strengthened in Jan...my concern is there are some massive games between now and the window opening

I've never seen a party line ?? What is a party line? Your questions are viable and I agree mostly, we're light in midfield and up top. Hopefully addressed in the next window.

Cat Stanton
24-11-2018, 11:20 PM
You've always been close to the point of being hysterical, now you've reached it.

I genuinely hate this place after a sub-optimal result/performance. "Knee-jerk" doesn't cover the ridiculous reaction. I was there today, it wasn't great but I have sat through a hundred thousand times worse over the years. People need to see the bigger picture for ****'s sake.

The Harp Awakes
24-11-2018, 11:25 PM

FFS:brickwall

Scotty Leither
24-11-2018, 11:41 PM
I genuinely hate this place after a sub-optimal result/performance. "Knee-jerk" doesn't cover the ridiculous reaction. I was there today, it wasn't great but I have sat through a hundred thousand times worse over the years. People need to see the bigger picture for ****'s sake.

What do you think is the "bigger picture"? Genuine question, incidentally.

Cat Stanton
24-11-2018, 11:53 PM
What do you think is the "bigger picture"? Genuine question, incidentally.

Er... having lived through three relegations, having watched teams and players (e.g. under Calerwood, Fenlon and all) who couldn't create a single goal-scoring chance in 90 minutes, having sat through countless losing finals etc etc, today was not the worst thing in the world. The bigger picture is the obvious improvement, overall, in the last few years. I would have thought that was reasonably obvious, even to those happy to indulge in today's knee-jerk gibberish.

DetroitHibs
25-11-2018, 02:40 AM
Mid table, bottom six is where we are and have been since this board have been in charge. Take our average and that's where we are and will continue to be as long as they are in control.

we are hibs
25-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Facts eh?

Everything is barry eh?

bigwheel
25-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Mid table, bottom six is where we are and have been since this board have been in charge. Take our average and that's where we are and will continue to be as long as they are in control.

would you explain what the board could be doing better to improve the football performances?

BoomtownHibees
25-11-2018, 07:36 AM
Our game in hand is away to Rangers at which point we’ll more than likely still be 7 behind as we’ll not get anything there. We’re averaging less than 1.5 points per game. 7 points is a fairly big gap to a team picking up as few points as we are.

*home to Rangers

DetroitHibs
25-11-2018, 08:03 AM
would you explain what the board could be doing better to improve the football performances?

Investing more in the playing side of things. Listening to the manager when he publicly states he wants 1-2 more players in before the window closes, but gets nothing. That's TWICE Lennon has stated that before the January and summer window and was let down.

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 08:32 AM
*home to Rangers

Is it? My mistake in that case, I thought it was an away game that got rearranged.

BoomtownHibees
25-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Is it? My mistake in that case, I thought it was an away game that got rearranged.

Na we play them away on Boxing Day which was always the case. We now play them the week before at home which was the rearranged one

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Na we play them away on Boxing Day which was always the case. We now play them the week before at home which was the rearranged one

:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Investing more in the playing side of things. Listening to the manager when he publicly states he wants 1-2 more players in before the window closes, but gets nothing. That's TWICE Lennon has stated that before the January and summer window and was let down.

You dont get any managers telling us they dont need any more players, they always tell us they need another couple.

The hysteria on here at the start of the season was fantastic, we'd not seen any of those players kick a ball, but they were sheite, and when they started to play well and win, and win in european games we were going to lose because we'd not brought in sufficient players, suddenly they went quiet.

Now we've hit a sticky patch, here they are, all chests out happy as **** telling us they were right all along.

No leeway is given on this place, no sense is spoken whenever we lose a game, even when we've lost the best midfield in Scotland, and are expected to replace them in one transfer window.

Throw in Gray,Hanlon,McLaren,Kamberi,Rocky and McGregor all being injured for different lengths of time, would normally see rational people cut the team a little slack, not here.

More worried about the relegation zone than top 4,:faf:

Football is a lot different from the past, we can improve dramatically in one transfer window with a couple of january signings, just as we can be a lot worse if we lose players like we did in the summer.

I bet there will be a lot of tears this christmas morning, when some of the folk on here open their presents and they dont get everything they wrote down in their letters to santa

Jones28
25-11-2018, 08:47 AM
We have not won a game in the last five, only Dundee are matching that !

Hearts have the same record as us in five games I think?

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 09:03 AM
You dont get any managers telling us they dont need any more players, they always tell us they need another couple.

The hysteria on here at the start of the season was fantastic, we'd not seen any of those players kick a ball, but they were sheite, and when they started to play well and win, and win in european games we were going to lose because we'd not brought in sufficient players, suddenly they went quiet.

Now we've hit a sticky patch, here they are, all chests out happy as **** telling us they were right all along.

No leeway is given on this place, no sense is spoken whenever we lose a game, even when we've lost the best midfield in Scotland, and are expected to replace them in one transfer window.

Throw in Gray,Hanlon,McLaren,Kamberi,Rocky and McGregor all being injured for different lengths of time, would normally see rational people cut the team a little slack, not here.

More worried about the relegation zone than top 4,:faf:

Football is a lot different from the past, we can improve dramatically in one transfer window with a couple of january signings, just as we can be a lot worse if we lose players like we did in the summer.

I bet there will be a lot of tears this christmas morning, when some of the folk on here open their presents and they dont get everything they wrote down in their letters to santa

A bit like how you hadn’t seen any of the Hearts signings kick a ball yet you were determined to declare they would be ***** because all the good players become available late in the window? Yet here we are with them in third having also been to a cup semi final while we’re in the bottom six.

Nobody is “happy as ****” at where we are just now. But you’ve given it the big i am numerous times when what you’ve said looks to have came to fruition yet when other people have pointed out that the concerns they had with regards to our summer window have came to fruition you’re not happy about people saying “I told you so” back.

People’s reactions today aren’t based on just losing one game. It’s based on the fact we’ve picked up 2 points in 15, performances have been rank and could have quite easily lost today after being 2-0 up against the bottom team in the league who before today had lost 11 of 13.

Of course we’ve no need to be worried about relegation but we’ve also no need to concern ourselves with top 4 as it simply isn’t going to happen. And the longer this goes on it looks like top 6 might not even happen.

Crap thread title though, although the actual post that went along with it is hard to disagree with.

Keith_M
25-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Jeez, there's a lot of knee jerk reactions to the original post.

The guy didn't say we were going to be relegated. He said on the current showing, we look like we'd be nearer relegation than the top four.

I think he's merely illustrating just how far away we look from achieving what should be our aim every season, that top four place.

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2018, 09:14 AM
A bit like how you hadn’t seen any of the Hearts signings kick a ball yet you were determined to declare they would be ***** because all the good players become available late in the window? Yet here we are with them in third having also been to a cup semi final while we’re in the bottom six.

Go find the post where i said their signings would be *****, you will be a long time because i never said it?

Nobody is “happy as ****” at where we are just now. But you’ve given it the big i am numerous times when what you’ve said looks to have came to fruition yet when other people have pointed out that the concerns they had with regards to our summer window have came to fruition you’re not happy about people saying “I told you so” back.

Again, how could you possibly know what our signings would be like without seeing them play for us?

People’s reactions today aren’t based on just losing one game. It’s based on the fact we’ve picked up 2 points in 15, performances have been rank and could have quite easily lost today after being 2-0 up against the bottom team in the league who before today had lost 11 of 13.

Peoples reactions today are just like they were from the same people when we actually won games pre season, knee jerking as usual, and no thoughts on why its happened IE injuries to key players all ****in season.

Of course we’ve no need to be worried about relegation but we’ve also no need to concern ourselves with top 4 as it simply isn’t going to happen. And the longer this goes on it looks like top 6 might not even happen.

Again, we have another window in 6 weeks time, which gives us another chance to strengthen, because even the most stupid people on here couldnt be that naive to think we'd be as good after one?

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Again, we have another window in 6 weeks time, which gives us another chance to strengthen, because even the most stupid people on here couldnt be that naive to think we'd be as good after one?

Ok if you didn’t say they’d be ***** then apologies. You did definitely tell us though that the good players become available late in the window yet it would seem we missed out on all of them.

Are people just to have absolutely no thoughts on our signings until they play for us then? Nobody should have any sort of concerns or indeed excitement at signings being made anymore? If Sparky signed in January I’d be delighted. But I shouldn’t be until he’s played for us? People are allowed to form an opinion based on whatever they feel applicable, whether it’s career history, goals scored, appearances made or what they’ve saw of a player with their own eyes.

There’s nothing “knee jerk” about it. We’ve been crap for weeks and the concerns people had in the summer about our recruitment (5 months or so ago) have came to fruition. Our squad is horribly imbalanced and we’ve signed a lot of players that just aren’t up to it. That is absolutely not a knee jerk reaction.

We do have another window in 6 weeks time. However, given the fact we’ve had one good window in four under Lennon a lot of people won’t be hugely confident of us strengthening - history would suggest we’re unlikely to do that if we’re using previous windows to help us predict how this one will go.

One Day Soon
25-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Everything is barry eh?

Is it?

Maybe it’s more a case of it not being the black and white annihilating carnage that some posters seem to think it is.

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Ok if you didn’t say they’d be ***** then apologies. You did definitely tell us though that the good players become available late in the window yet it would seem we missed out on all of them.

No i didnt, i never comment on how any of their signings will pan out until i see how they play.

Are people just to have absolutely no thoughts on our signings until they play for us then? Nobody should have any sort of concerns or indeed excitement at signings being made anymore? If Sparky signed in January I’d be delighted. But I shouldn’t be until he’s played for us? People are allowed to form an opinion based on whatever they feel applicable, whether it’s career history, goals scored, appearances made or what they’ve saw of a player with their own eyes.

Yes everyone can get excited about a rumoured signing, especially ones we know, but quite why anyone would be forming an poor opinion on players we have signed who we know nothing or little about before they've played is baffling, and a glass half empty attitude.

There’s nothing “knee jerk” about it. We’ve been crap for weeks and the concerns people had in the summer about our recruitment (5 months or so ago) have came to fruition. Our squad is horribly imbalanced and we’ve signed a lot of players that just aren’t up to it. That is absolutely not a knee jerk reaction.

Again, you expect us to rip the best midfield in Scotland up, and replace it in one window, that is knee jerking in my book. Squads are built over more than one window, obviously you want jam today in fact yesterday.

We do have another window in 6 weeks time. However, given the fact we’ve had one good window in four under Lennon a lot of people won’t be hugely confident of us strengthening - history would suggest we’re unlikely to do that if we’re using previous windows to help us predict how this one will go.

Why do you follow Hibs, each window he's had he strengthened us, except the last one, and even you cant for one minute think we were going to be stronger after that one?

Jones28
25-11-2018, 09:41 AM
**** me this place is mental.

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Why do you follow Hibs, each window he's had he strengthened us, except the last one, and even you cant for one minute think we were going to be stronger after that one?

When did I say I expected us to replace the best midfield in Scotland in one window? I’ve literally never said anything remotely close to that. I did however expect us to replace them with a better quality of player/more balanced midfield than we have. Our midfield is an utter mess with a bunch of number 10s, wingers and a few holding midfielders, a good few of which aren’t up to scratch. We’ve one out and out centre midfielder in Slivka and he’s not shown enough to get anywhere near the starting line up and we already knew that going into the summer.

TrinityHibs
25-11-2018, 09:48 AM
We are in no danger of relegation. We have no chance of top 4 though. We might scrape the top 6 if we get our act together a wee bit.

Am I missing something. We have been on a poor run yet are 6 points of top 4 with a game in hand and we have no chance of the top 4. This is just mad.

Albanian Hibs
25-11-2018, 09:53 AM

It's actually at home to rangers

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Am I missing something. We have been on a poor run yet are 6 points of top 4 with a game in hand and we have no chance of the top 4. This is just mad.

It’s not so much about our current position, more to do with how we look as a team. We don’t look good enough for top 4. From what we’ve saw so far this season our league position is probably a fair reflection of where we are.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 10:07 AM
I think the key phrase in the thread title is "on that showing".

We were hauled back from 2 goals up at home to bottom of the league in a game where we were largely outplayed by a rubbish team. ON THAT SHOWING we have to be thinking more about relegation than top 4. This is more of a criticism of yesterday's performance and result than a reflection on the quality of our squad, the boards ambition etc.

There is no doubt that we're at least a couple of quality players short of where we need to be, although if we got them, shipped out a few duds and played players in the right position then I could see us having a strong second half to the season.

All of that, plus our closest competitors aren't exactly pulling up any trees right now either.

northern-hibee
25-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Thing is, this is as good as it got. We’ve enjoyed the last few seasons, watched great football and unfortunately haven’t really capitalised on the feel good factor and brilliant crowds. We now reap what we sowed and the season ahead now is all about not getting dragged into a regelation battle and rebuilding again for next season sadly

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2018, 10:49 AM
When did I say I expected us to replace the best midfield in Scotland in one window? I’ve literally never said anything remotely close to that.

How are they a mess, its a midfield in transition that has done ok up till now, and we are 6 weeks away from being able to build on it again?

I did however expect us to replace them with a better quality of player/more balanced midfield than we have.

We had a team fighting until the 2nd last game of the season for 2nd, if you thought we'd sign better but not be better, what position would you say we should be if better than last season was not achievable?

Our midfield is an utter mess with a bunch of number 10s, wingers and a few holding midfielders, a good few of which aren’t up to scratch.

You keep calling our midfield a mess, surely a midfield thats a mess would not be where it is now and within striking distance of 4th place where the superior midfield had us finish last season, and thats before the January window?

We’ve one out and out centre midfielder in Slivka and he’s not shown enough to get anywhere near the starting line up and we already knew that going into the summer.

Slivka is part of the squad, he's had some good and bad games, we should probably get rid of him and sign players much better, perhaps the upcoming window and windows after that will bring better, but until such times as we can actually sign players, we keep what we have and build.

Hibbyradge
25-11-2018, 10:55 AM

:confused:

We're 2 points off the top 6.

Hibbyradge
25-11-2018, 11:07 AM
OP is correct.

If we're in a bad place, I wonder how our noisy neighbours are feeling.

Beaten 2-0 by the second bottom team.

And to think they were going to win the league.

G B Young
25-11-2018, 11:09 AM
I think the key phrase in the thread title is "on that showing".

We were hauled back from 2 goals up at home to bottom of the league in a game where we were largely outplayed by a rubbish team. ON THAT SHOWING we have to be thinking more about relegation than top 4. This is more of a criticism of yesterday's performance and result than a reflection on the quality of our squad, the boards ambition etc.

There is no doubt that we're at least a couple of quality players short of where we need to be, although if we got them, shipped out a few duds and played players in the right position then I could see us having a strong second half to the season.

All of that, plus our closest competitors aren't exactly pulling up any trees right now either.

I'd also say that using the word 'relegation' is what has raised a few hackles. Had I rephrased the title as 'On that showing I'm more worried about the bottom four than the top four' I guess that might have been less inflammatory and more accurate.

As I've said I don't actually think we will end up in relegation trouble. The infrastructure of the club is night and day compared to 2014 and Lennon is clearly a far more savvy boss than Fenlon or Butcher.

Nevertheless, as somebody who has watched Hibs since the 1970s, I've been struck during the last two home games by how similar this current side currently looks to so many bang average Hibs sides of the past. Plenty of huff and puff but next to no creativity, no punch up front and a defence prone to the odd crucial mistake. The paltry one point out of six we've taken from these games (both of which we shoud have been pretty confident of winning) reflects the performances.

FWIW, we currently have only three more points than we did at the end of November in 2013. Yes, I think the current squad, with a couple of influential additions in January, is better than it's showing at present but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that there is cause for concern right now and that it's very disappointing that we're already looking to the January transfer window to salvage our season.

Hibbyradge
25-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Exactly.

G B Young
25-11-2018, 11:18 AM
If we're in a bad place, I wonder how our noisy neighbours are feeling.

Beaten 2-0 by the second bottom team.

And to think they were going to win the league.

Yes, that does at least take some of the sting out of our own poor run of form. I think I'm right in saying they've now gone five games without a goal, let alone a win.

In saying that, the fact that beating St Johnstone and Dundee at ER would have kept us within just two points of them makes our failure to do so all the more frustrating.

PatHead
25-11-2018, 11:20 AM
When did I say I expected us to replace the best midfield in Scotland in one window? I’ve literally never said anything remotely close to that. I did however expect us to replace them with a better quality of player/more balanced midfield than we have. Our midfield is an utter mess with a bunch of number 10s, wingers and a few holding midfielders, a good few of which aren’t up to scratch. We’ve one out and out centre midfielder in Slivka and he’s not shown enough to get anywhere near the starting line up and we already knew that going into the summer.

So a better quality of player.

We signed the Australian captain, a current ROI international, a USA international who a lot of Sevco fans were disappointed to have missed out on, a promising Man City youngster who is an international and a Scotland U21 international.

We also tried very hard to sign a “box to box” midfielder who couldn’t get a game for his club. This went right to the end of the window but didn’t happen for one reason or other. He has taken advantage of injuries and has established himself in his club ‘s first team this season.

I wish we could just turn up and players said okay. Unfortunately that is not how the world works hence Blackpool comments about the second half of the window.

For one reason or other our signings have not worked yet but there was nothing wrong with the quality we were after.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 11:34 AM
I'd also say that using the word 'relegation' is what has raised a few hackles. Had I rephrased the title as 'On that showing I'm more worried about the bottom four than the top four' I guess that might have been less inflammatory and more accurate.

As I've said I don't actually think we will end up in relegation trouble. The infrastructure of the club is night and day compared to 2014 and Lennon is clearly a far more savvy boss than Fenlon or Butcher.

Nevertheless, as somebody who has watched Hibs since the 1970s, I've been struck during the last two home games by how similar this current side currently looks to so many bang average Hibs sides of the past. Plenty of huff and puff but next to no creativity, no punch up front and a defence prone to the odd crucial mistake. The paltry one point out of six we've taken from these games (both of which we shoud have been pretty confident of winning) reflects the performances.

FWIW, we currently have only three more points than we did at the end of November in 2013. Yes, I think the current squad, with a couple of influential additions in January, is better than it's showing at present but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that there is cause for concern right now and that it's very disappointing that we're already looking to the January transfer window to salvage our season.

The thing that concerns me is how it is becoming reminiscent of seasons gone by when we've lost big players and failed miserably to replace them. They vary from the disappointing season after Latapy (and effectively Sauzee) stopped playing for us to the catastrophes when we failed to replace Leigh Griffiths, and Duffy's side without Jackson, Leighton and Hunter.

When we lost Scott Allan the last time we had John McGinn and kicked on to another level, so it's not like it can't be done.

I also don't think Horgan, Milligan and the like have come cheap, so as far as I'm concerned the board have done their bit.

G B Young
25-11-2018, 11:34 AM

We signed the Australian captain, a current ROI international, a USA international who a lot of Sevco fans were disappointed to have missed out on, a promising Man City youngster who is an international and a Scotland U21 international.

We also tried very hard to sign a “box to box” midfielder who couldn’t get a game for his club. This went right to the end of the window but didn’t happen for one reason or other. He has taken advantage of injuries and has established himself in his club ‘s first team this season.

I wish we could just turn up and players said okay. Unfortunately that is not how the world works hence Blackpool comments about the second half of the window.

For one reason or other our signings have not worked yet but there was nothing wrong with the quality we were after.

Can you refresh my memory on who that is?

The 90+2
25-11-2018, 12:00 PM
It’s starting to resemble the season we sold Stokes and Yogi got found out big time.

The 90+2
25-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Can you refresh my memory on who that is?

Christie?

flash
25-11-2018, 01:44 PM

Been watching you for months. Looks like the mask is slipping.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2018, 01:48 PM

So what if Lennon says he wants Neymar? Are we letting him down if we don't sign him?

I'm not sure I'd be trusting Lennon with signings based on what he's brought in so far. Not the board to blame at all.

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 02:25 PM

The international thing keeps getting trotted out every time someone suggests people aren’t good enough. It literally means nothing if they can’t replicate it for Hibs. Kuqi, Johanson, Hurtado, god knows how many others over the years have been internationals. It really doesn’t matter. I’d rather have a team with 0 international caps and players that were good enough.

Also, there may not have been anything wrong with the quality we were targeting. Unfortunately there has been something wrong with the quality of quite a few of the players we’ve ended up with, hence the season were having.

Weegreenman
25-11-2018, 03:00 PM
You were the one who mentioned relegation, and as i said,i'm not remotely worried about Hibs being in the relegation zone.

We were 2-0 up against a team who are strongly fancied to be relegated. What will it take for some Hibs supporters to sit up and realise we are showing the warning signs that could potentially lead us into a relegation battle?

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2018, 03:30 PM
We were 2-0 up against a team who are strongly fancied to be relegated. What will it take for some Hibs supporters to sit up and realise we are showing the warning signs that could potentially lead us into a relegation battle?

Thats done it, we could potentially be in a relegation battle if we dont improve on our recent results, why have i been sleeping through this ground breaking news?

Smartie
25-11-2018, 03:32 PM
So what if Lennon says he wants Neymar? Are we letting him down if we don't sign him?

I'm not sure I'd be trusting Lennon with signings based on what he's brought in so far. Not the board to blame at all.

Lennon showed what he has the potential to do in a transfer market last January.

I agree that it's been a mixed bag for him so far in that respect, but undermining him in that regard isn't going to help anyone.

It was always going to be tough to replace the talent that left in the summer, but I can't say I'm anything other than very disappointed with how our new midfield is looking.

calumhibee1
25-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Christie?

Christie is a good player but he’s definitely not a box to box midfielder.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 03:35 PM
The last time we were relegated we were never really in a relegation battle.

The arse just sort of dropped out of us and we plummeted into the First Division.

DetroitHibs
25-11-2018, 03:44 PM

See I'm the opposite, I don't trust the board one little bit to get things right. This same board that has seen us relegated twice, spend three years in the first division and make us an average bottom six club under its tenure. Just the facts, nothing to see here. I'm sure the Petrie and board apologist will be along shortly.

B.H.F.C
25-11-2018, 03:55 PM

We won’t be near being in a relegation battle. If we don’t get the finger out we might no be where we want to be. But a relegation battle? Nah.

bigwheel
25-11-2018, 05:28 PM

I think that is a easy criticism..but doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny..managers always want 1-2 more Players..Lennon knew the budget available ..The board have backed all or managers in recent years. Lennon included .Getting more out of what we have signed this season is a more material issue..

Through injury or indifferent form we have had a poorer than expected start to the season...very few of the new signings (and a number of existing players) have consistently delivered this season so far...put that together with the quality of what we lost and that’s where you will find the reason for our results this season.

CropleyWasGod
25-11-2018, 05:42 PM
See I'm the opposite, I don't trust the board one little bit to get things right. This same board that has seen us relegated twice, spend three years in the first division and make us an average bottom six club under its tenure. Just the facts, nothing to see here. I'm sure the Petrie and board apologist will be along shortly.Who was on the Board in 98?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
25-11-2018, 05:43 PM
See I'm the opposite, I don't trust the board one little bit to get things right. This same board that has seen us relegated twice, spend three years in the first division and make us an average bottom six club under its tenure. Just the facts, nothing to see here. I'm sure the Petrie and board apologist will be along shortly.

The same board that us relegated twice? Are you serious?

BullsCloseHibs
25-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Scottish fitbaw is crap

Scotty Leither
25-11-2018, 05:48 PM

I'd like our recruitment team to outline why we've brought in Rherras, Mavrias, Nelom, Matelevicuis, basically guys who will be here today gone tomorrow and quickly forgotten; meantime we're toiling up front and in midfield and haven't sourced anywhere near a replacement(s) for McGinn and McGeogh.

Suspect we'll wait a long time though, and instead I'll be asked to cough up for half seasons, West stand stones, etc.

The Modfather
25-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Lennon showed what he has the potential to do in a transfer market last January.

I agree that it's been a mixed bag for him so far in that respect, but undermining him in that regard isn't going to help anyone.

It was always going to be tough to replace the talent that left in the summer, but I can't say I'm anything other than very disappointed with how our new midfield is looking.

I posted my thoughts earlier in this thread about our recruitment under Lennon. Signings are only half of it, he still had to get the most out of the players. Which he did, and then some in, the performances of Kamberi, Allan & McLaren.

My concern is a general one around our scouting department as I believe Kamberi & McLaren were offered to us in January and Scot Alan is a known quantity. Our most recent successes have come from players being offered to us or a known quantity rather than our scouting network.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2018, 06:03 PM
See I'm the opposite, I don't trust the board one little bit to get things right. This same board that has seen us relegated twice, spend three years in the first division and make us an average bottom six club under its tenure. Just the facts, nothing to see here. I'm sure the Petrie and board apologist will be along shortly.Same board that won 2 trophies (Farmer has 3), took us to 3rd twice, 4th 3 times? Signed McGinn, McGeouch, Allan, Kamberi and many many more.

Or am I only supposed to focus on negatives?

DetroitHibs
25-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Same board that won 2 trophies (Farmer has 3), took us to 3rd twice, 4th 3 times? Signed McGinn, McGeouch, Allan, Kamberi and many many more.

Its not fair to focus on just the negatives, there has been positives. Overall for me personally they have been a failure. We have won two trophies and a few finals too, but overall we have failed to build on the positives. A club our size shouldn't be an average bottom six club and been relegated twice, then spend 3 years scrambling to get back up. Finishing forth behind Falkirk in division one, was the lowest point ever.

After last season and the club still on a high from the SC win, we should have pushed the boat out. Season tickets were at a record high, and the fans buzzing. I don't think we should have spent absolute fortunes investing in players, but for me we underspent, rather than overspent just a bit. We got good money for the players sold and playing in Europe.

We should have speculated to accumulate, but didn't. Season ticket sales next year will drop, no money coming in from Europe probably, and we are back to square one.

Scotty Leither
25-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Same board that won 2 trophies (Farmer has 3), took us to 3rd twice, 4th 3 times? Signed McGinn, McGeouch, Allan, Kamberi and many many more.

The club's been relegated four times in its 140-year plus history.

Petrie has got two of those relegations on his CV and a narrow escape via the play-offs against Airdrie, and 3 seasons in the Championship, the first one of which was basically written off by his indecision in not sacking Butcher and Malpas within 10 minutes of the final whistle v Hamilton.

He's got previous as well with good teams being broken up and decent players replaced by dross which sees us go into ever decreasing circles of the odd peak followed by long spells of mediocrity.

Even Leeann's parroting the party line now with "cash in the bank" and "capital projects" to be paid for.

When does anyone at Easter Road ever take a calculated punt now and again???

B.H.F.C
25-11-2018, 06:22 PM
We could have signed better in the summer, no doubt about it IMO.

But we still paid out three fees that were six figure. When did we last do that.

It’s too easy to just say the board should have done more, spent more. You could say that about every team.

Our current issues are much more to do with Lennon and the players. He doesn’t seem to know what to do at the moment and the players he is putting on the pitch are all underperforming at the moment.

Scotty Leither
25-11-2018, 06:28 PM
We could have signed better in the summer, no doubt about it IMO.

So why didn't we then?

B.H.F.C
25-11-2018, 06:31 PM
So why didn't we then?

Because we made bad choices on a footballing level. We chose to sign players who were all very similar and don’t give the midfield any balance.

It’s too simplistic to just say we should have spent more money. I think we did do a bit financially. Certainly more than previously.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2018, 06:32 PM
The club's been relegated four times in its 140-year plus history.

Petrie has got two of those relegations on his CV and a narrow escape via the play-offs against Airdrie, and 3 seasons in the Championship, the first one of which was basically written off by his indecision in not sacking Butcher and Malpas within 10 minutes of the final whistle v Hamilton.

He's got previous as well with good teams being broken up and decent players replaced by dross which sees us go into ever decreasing circles of the odd peak followed by long spells of mediocrity.

Even Leeann's parroting the party line now with "cash in the bank" and "capital projects" to be paid for.

When does anyone at Easter Road ever take a calculated punt now and again???The club has 3 Scottish cups in history. Petrie has one of those on his CV. And one of our 3 league cups as well.

Petrie didn't sign all the players that aren't doing the job, Lennon did.

Farmer employs Petrie so why is he never blamed?

staunchhibby
25-11-2018, 06:38 PM
I think we should take into account that we have brought players and they have under performed which is very frustrating probably to lennon and his backroom staff.

Scotty Leither
25-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Because we made bad choices on a footballing level. We chose to sign players who were all very similar and don’t give the midfield any balance.

It’s too simplistic to just say we should have spent more money. I think we did do a bit financially. Certainly more than previously.

I've always worked under the adage of "buy cheap, you buy twice".

Sometimes in life you've no option to buy something inferior because at that point in time you've not choice but to do otherwise.

That though, is the whole and singular, and indeed recurring point with Petrie and co down the years; signing large quantities of vastly interior players to one's that have left - much in the same way as we're doing now with similar results, yet anyone dares to question that approach and you're shouted down?

As someone said on another thread, McGinn's replacement should have been actively being sought out in January 2018, not January 2019, when the last window's policy of signing jersey fillers has largely been discredited.

Guess that fanciful thinking is why I'm not a gifted accountant though, eh?

Hibees1973
25-11-2018, 07:01 PM
We are now paying for the McGinn/McGeouch transfer sagas dragging on too long and not preparing properly in the summer.

Most of the new players were brought in late in the transfer window and have not had proper pre season training.

Milligan, Nelom, Mavrias, Hyndman, Horgan, Kamberi, MacLaren, Aygepong and there are probably others were brought in too late. Almost all of them are in poor form or have been injured/not fit.

Hibs have prepared poorly for this season which has caused us to be inconsistent. I think we’re are still capable of scoring goals but we seem fragile defensively. We need to get a Gray at right back when he is fit and Ambrose at centre half. This will give us more solidity.

We are all frustrated at the moment and my gut feeling is it will be an up and down season. Lennon will have to ship a few out (even though some of them are his signings) and we can’t always be fortunate with new signings.

I predict a 6th place finish this year. With a fully fit and firing squad we are well capable of a cup final appearance come a May.

B.H.F.C
25-11-2018, 07:21 PM
I've always worked under the adage of "buy cheap, you buy twice".

Sometimes in life you've no option to buy something inferior because at that point in time you've not choice but to do otherwise.

That though, is the whole and singular, and indeed recurring point with Petrie and co down the years; signing large quantities of vastly interior players to one's that have left - much in the same way as we're doing now with similar results, yet anyone dares to question that approach and you're shouted down?

As someone said on another thread, McGinn's replacement should have been actively being sought out in January 2018, not January 2019, when the last window's policy of signing jersey fillers has largely been discredited.

Guess that fanciful thinking is why I'm not a gifted accountant though, eh?

First off, I’m far from a Petrie supporter.

But how much money would we need to have spent to replace McGinn? It would be money we can’t afford, simple as that.

The McGinn we bought wasn’t the McGinn we sold. We need to buy players we can develop generally speaking.

I don’t think there was an unwillingness to spend money in the summer. I think it’s more of a question of whether we spent it correctly or not.

Scotty Leither
25-11-2018, 07:46 PM
First off, I’m far from a Petrie supporter.

But how much money would we need to have spent to replace McGinn? It would be money we can’t afford, simple as that.

The McGinn we bought wasn’t the McGinn we sold. We need to buy players we can develop generally speaking.

I don’t think there was an unwillingness to spend money in the summer. I think it’s more of a question of whether we spent it correctly or not.

I didn't expect a like-for-like replacement with McGinn.

I just thought we were past the stage of signing the likes of Vine, Taiwo, Agogo, Cregg, Keenan, Kuqi, and so on but it seems we're back there with the latest clutch of free agents who'll come and go and take up wages and fees that could be spent on one decent player.

Overly simplistic? Mibbes...but a valid point that seems to be continually lost on our bullet-proof Board.

I'm far from a Petrie supporter either. I wish he'd leave and join his mate Doncaster at the SPFL, to be honest.

Hibernia&Alba
25-11-2018, 07:57 PM
I genuinely don't think we'll be involved in the relegation fight. We're having a bad spell, but this isn't Terry Butcher's Hibs; we're a very different team/club now. We need to turn this around, however, and have some difficult fixtures coming up. We should be capable of challenging for top four; a bottom half finish would be a big disappointment.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 08:35 PM
I didn't expect a like-for-like replacement with McGinn.

I just thought we were past the stage of signing the likes of Vine, Taiwo, Agogo, Cregg, Keenan, Kuqi, and so on but it seems we're back there with the latest clutch of free agents who'll come and go and take up wages and fees that could be spent on one decent player.

Overly simplistic? Mibbes...but a valid point that seems to be continually lost on our bullet-proof Board.

I'm far from a Petrie supporter either. I wish he'd leave and join his mate Doncaster at the SPFL, to be honest.

I don't think we've signed anyone of the same quality as the players you have mentioned.

We've signed a clutch of very good players with no real thought given as to how they might play together.

There is not one player at Easter Road right now who I think isn't fit to wear the shirt, in fact there isn't one player who I don't think could be a very good, effective player in the right team.

Scotty Leither
25-11-2018, 08:47 PM
I don't think we've signed anyone of the same quality as the players you have mentioned.

We've signed a clutch of very good players with no real thought given as to how they might play together.

There is not one player at Easter Road right now who I think isn't fit to wear the shirt, in fact there isn't one player who I don't think could be a very good, effective player in the right team.

I could see the force of signing players with a view to them biding their time until injury/loss of form gives them an opportunity.

We've had a stack of injuries and the manager still hasnt used them though, which begs the question as to on whose say-so are these guys being signed?

I suspect that top of the page of the remit of the recruitment team is headed up by £££££ and if it is then whatever monies the Board are sanctioning is being wasted, and that's me being uncharacteristically charitable to the Board.

I'm sorry, I don't see the "clutch of very good players" you referenced, and if Mavrias and Nelom are indeed on a par with Vine and Keenan et al, then God help us.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2018, 09:48 PM
We'll be nowhere near relegation let's not be silly. Kamberi or James Collins? Ambrose or Nelson? Gray or McGivern? Boyle or Vine? Come on, let's not be stupid.

I think we'll figure things out a bit and sneak top 6. We'll do better over 33 games than st Johnstone and Livingston. Who knows, few signings we can push higher.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 09:49 PM
I could see the force of signing players with a view to them biding their time until injury/loss of form gives them an opportunity.

We've had a stack of injuries and the manager still hasnt used them though, which begs the question as to on whose say-so are these guys being signed?

I suspect that top of the page of the remit of the recruitment team is headed up by £££££ and if it is then whatever monies the Board are sanctioning is being wasted, and that's me being uncharacteristically charitable to the Board.

I'm sorry, I don't see the "clutch of very good players" you referenced, and if Mavrias and Nelom are indeed on a par with Vine and Keenan et al, then God help us.

Personally I think that Kamberi, Milligan, Hyndman, Mallan, Agyepong and Horgan are all very good players and in the right team could be amongst the best players in the country.

The lack of balance in our squad (and some bad luck with injuries and International breaks) means that we're not seeing anything like as much as we should from any of these players.

silverhibee
25-11-2018, 11:04 PM
We'll be nowhere near relegation let's not be silly. Kamberi or James Collins? Ambrose or Nelson? Gray or McGivern? Boyle or Vine? Come on, let's not be stupid.

I think we'll figure things out a bit and sneak top 6. We'll do better over 33 games than st Johnstone and Livingston. Who knows, few signings we can push higher.

St Johnstone are flying just now, won 5 and a draw yesterday and not conceded in 6 games, they keep that up and we will struggle to keep up with them, Livi will end up down the bottom of the league where they should be.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2018, 11:09 PM
St Johnstone are flying just now, won 5 and a draw yesterday and not conceded in 6 games, they keep that up and we will struggle to keep up with them, Livi will end up down the bottom of the league where they should be.

If St Johnstone keep that up they'll win the league. They're not going to keep it up. We had a similar run before the Celtic game.

silverhibee
25-11-2018, 11:19 PM
If St Johnstone keep that up they'll win the league. They're not going to keep it up. We had a similar run before the Celtic game.

Our decent run before the Celtc game doesn't even come close to St Js last 6 games of good form, won 5 drawn 1 and not conceded in there last six games.

Fergus52
25-11-2018, 11:46 PM
This unbiased article outlines two different models which use expected goals, and goals against, to determine the best performing teams in the league, showing who has been lucky and who is underperforming.

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2018/11/22/98mj2rhg2wqqa3tcpszwuwhnkj7dsu

The numbers show us as the 4th best team in the league and imply that we're a bit away from hearts and rangers, about the same as Killie, and better than aberdeen, livi, and st Johnstone. I can't really see us not making top 6, never mind talk of relegation. The way things have been going in recent weeks top 4 could end up being a struggle though.

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2018, 02:21 AM
Hibs will probably be third behind the OF. The rest are poor. We’re just underperforming right now but I trust Lenny to get it sorted.

So please do not worry your pretty little heads about current results, performances and league tables.

Just relax and enjoy the season as it unfolds and all will be good.

One Day Soon
26-11-2018, 08:36 AM
My recollection is that McGinn didn't depart from us until pretty late in the transfer window, mainly due to Celtic fannying around and penny pinching. It wasn't certain that he would be leaving in that window at all until Aston Villa came in with a bid that had not been expected.

I'm not sure how the club was supposed to have a replacement for McGinn lined up and ready to go when:
a) it wasn't clear we were going to need a replacement at that point
b) it was quite late in the window to be able to land a replacement
c) McGinn did not start out with us as the player he finished up being and therefore why would we expect any of the current or prospective new players to arrive at McGinn standard and
d) there's a high probability that whatever the McGinn deal was, it didn't just place millions of immediately disposable income into our account to allow us to spend it right away

And all of the above is without considering that Celtic making an utter cod of it on McGinn also pissed on everyone's chips over Allan as the nob at Celtic decide to take his ball away in a huff.

Whether we like it or not we are a club which is always going to have to discover and develop players like McGinn and/or grow our own from the youth squad. That means no matter how good we may become we will always face circumstances where an O'Connor, Brown, McGinn or Stanton will be sold and there will inevitably be an hiatus while we move to trade up again.

Blaming Petrie is easy, but given that he isn't making most of the decisions here it just doesn't stack up. A mixture of people with genuine angst and others with angles to grind means that the Petrie lightning conductor attracts plenty of attention, but the day to day decisions are made by Leeann and Neil Lennon. Everyone has their own opinion but if I had a choice of a CEO and a Manager for Hibernian from among the realistic candidates both of those would be at or very close to the top of my list. I was pretty happy with how they were both performing two months ago at the beginning of October and I'll be very surprised if I'm not happy with how they are doing in two months time at the end of January.

I'm glad we didn't rush to pi55 away McGinn money late in the window, if it was even available to use. In fact I'm not even sure I want us spending it in January unless a genuine article is available. I'd rather wait until the summer and get the right player - and MAYBE that is Scott Allan - who will help to develop the strength of the team/squad long term. The challenge here it seems to me isn't transfer cost, it's the salaries we can or can't afford. There is nil evidence of any sugar daddy funders out there desperate to buy the club or to help transform our finances.

Going through patches like this seems to me to be just the inevitable part and parcel of a constant process of building and rebuilding. I don't like it but I'm not sure how it can be avoided.

There is zero chance we will be involved in a relegation battle, that's just the stuff of YamFud fantasy.

calumhibee1
26-11-2018, 09:04 AM
My recollection is that McGinn didn't depart from us until pretty late in the transfer window, mainly due to Celtic fannying around and penny pinching. It wasn't certain that he would be leaving in that window at all until Aston Villa came in with a bid that had not been expected.

I'm not sure how the club was supposed to have a replacement for McGinn lined up and ready to go when:
c) McGinn did not start out with us as the player he finished up being and therefore why would we expect any of the current or prospective new players to arrive at McGinn standard and
d) there's a high probability that whatever the McGinn deal was, it didn't just place millions of immediately disposable income into our account to allow us to spend it right away

And all of the above is without considering that Celtic making an utter cod of it on McGinn also pissed on everyone's chips over Allan as the nob at Celtic decide to take his ball away in a huff.

Whether we like it or not we are a club which is always going to have to discover and develop players like McGinn and/or grow our own from the youth squad. That means no matter how good we may become we will always face circumstances where an O'Connor, Brown, McGinn or Stanton will be sold and there will inevitably be an hiatus while we move to trade up again.

Blaming Petrie is easy, but given that he isn't making most of the decisions here it just doesn't stack up. A mixture of people with genuine angst and others with angles to grind means that the Petrie lightning conductor attracts plenty of attention, but the day to day decisions are made by Leeann and Neil Lennon. Everyone has their own opinion but if I had a choice of a CEO and a Manager for Hibernian from among the realistic candidates both of those would be at or very close to the top of my list. I was pretty happy with how they were both performing two months ago at the beginning of October and I'll be very surprised if I'm not happy with how they are doing in two months time at the end of January.

I'm glad we didn't rush to pi55 away McGinn money late in the window, if it was even available to use. In fact I'm not even sure I want us spending it in January unless a genuine article is available. I'd rather wait until the summer and get the right player - and MAYBE that is Scott Allan - who will help to develop the strength of the team/squad long term. The challenge here it seems to me isn't transfer cost, it's the salaries we can or can't afford. There is nil evidence of any sugar daddy funders out there desperate to buy the club or to help transform our finances.

Going through patches like this seems to me to be just the inevitable part and parcel of a constant process of building and rebuilding. I don't like it but I'm not sure how it can be avoided.

There is zero chance we will be involved in a relegation battle, that's just the stuff of YamFud fantasy.

The 4 points you’ve made about the McGinn transfer are all correct however they should only have been an issue if we didn’t plan properly - the fact we didn’t know where he was going or when he was going shouldn’t have stopped us having good replacements lined up or at least know who we wanted. It looks like we didn’t do that seeing as we’ve signed nobody to replace him. Instead we signed two wingers, two number 10s and a centre half/defensive midfielder. We failed in the transfer market by not signing an out and out centre midfielder. Yes, they wouldn’t have been as good as McGinn, but we don’t even have anyone to play the position.

The Modfather
26-11-2018, 09:07 AM

You make a lot of good points. However I can’t say I’ve ever read anyone saying we should be signing a McGinn level player as a direct replacement. What has been questioned is that the club are meant to be proactive and constantly tracking targets should a player or manager ever leave, succession planning if you will. It is a very simplistic outlook but surely we had a a number of targets in mind as a replacement dependent on receiving different values for McGinn which we could re-invest. It may be we weren’t able to get any of them but from the outside it didn’t feel like we were particularly working to a coherent plan. Most of our successes in the transfer market have been players offered to us (Kamberi/McLaren) or known quantities (Ambrose/Allan) rather than many left field successes IMO.

I still have no idea who McGinns replacement is. Milligan must be McGeoughs. Hyndman/Mallan Allan’s replacement. Does that leave Horgan as the replacement or did we decide not to replace him with a similar box to box energetic type of player and try and play differently? I just don’t see what the summer strategy was, get good technical footballers but without much of a view as to how they would all piece together.

In the summer a lot of posters were talking about having to wait until closer to the end of the window before quality became available, and that the long term plan was to build a team to make the Europa group stages. That’s all fine in theory, but at our level every season is a re-build and history isn’t on our side as to doing this successfully, nor the early signs of this summer IMO.

calumhibee1
26-11-2018, 09:26 AM
You make a lot of good points. However I can’t say I’ve ever read anyone saying we should be signing a McGinn level player as a direct replacement. What has been questioned is that the club are meant to be proactive and constantly tracking targets should a player or manager ever leave, succession planning if you will. It is a very simplistic outlook but surely we had a a number of targets in mind as a replacement dependent on receiving different values for McGinn which we could re-invest. It may be we weren’t able to get any of them but from the outside it didn’t feel like we were particularly working to a coherent plan. Most of our successes in the transfer market have been players offered to us (Kamberi/McLaren) or known quantities (Ambrose/Allan) rather than many left field successes IMO.

I still have no idea who McGinns replacement is. Milligan must be McGeoughs. Hyndman/Mallan Allan’s replacement. Does that leave Horgan as the replacement or did we decide not to replace him with a similar box to box energetic type of player and try and play differently? I just don’t see what the summer strategy was, get good technical footballers but without much of a view as to how they would all piece together.

In the summer a lot of posters were talking about having to wait until closer to the end of the window before quality became available, and that the long term plan was to build a team to make the Europa group stages. That’s all fine in theory, but at our level every season is a re-build and history isn’t on our side as to doing this successfully, nor the early signs of this summer IMO.

That’s exactly what I was trying to say in my post above. I’m just not as good at it :greengrin

jdships
26-11-2018, 10:01 AM

10/10:flag::aok:

I'm Spartacus
26-11-2018, 12:32 PM

blackpoolhibs - I had to double check that I'd not returned to 1990 there :)

FAO the OP - If a knee-jerk was to knee-jerk then it would be this thread. Seems the whole league is going to be up and down all season so if you can't cope you'd best find another passion!!