PDA

View Full Version : Midfield

Diclonius
24-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Get a new one.

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Get a new one.

Yup. No proper centre midfielders apart from probably Slivka who’s not good enough. Other than that it’s just a bunch of guys who can play as a 10 or a DM. And a few of them aren’t good enough either.

Hibs90
24-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Mallan, Milligan, Horgan, Hyndman. Not good enough. Poor signings

Centre Hawf
24-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Mallan, Milligan, Horgan, Hyndman. Not good enough. Poor signings

I think Milligan has a role to play in a functioning midfield. However the rest of them don’t equate to one.

cleanyman
24-11-2018, 05:12 PM
I've seen enough of Mallan and the likes

Diclonius
24-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Milligan is a good player but can't do it all himself. Mallan offers a threat from long range and nothing else. Horgan is too inconsistent at very most. Slivka has done nothing in a year and a half and Hyndman - what's the point?

With McGinn and McGeouch going we needed steel in midfield. Milligan was signed, followed by three poor man's Scott Allans. We get bullied in the middle every single game.

Borderhibbie76
24-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Mallan, Milligan, Horgan, Hyndman. Not good enough. Poor signingsAgreed apart from Milligan who has been very decent. Mallan does the square root of #### all when he isn't scoring free kicks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hibs90
24-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Agreed apart from Milligan who has been very decent. Mallan does the square root of #### all when he isn't scoring free kicks

Milligan who constantly gives the ball away

Hibee Mac
24-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Thing is we all said during summer that we were signing too many attacking midfielders and no one to even attempt replicating McGinn or mcgeouch.

Apart from one good transfer window Lennon's signing ratio is poor compared to the likes of Stubbs.

Mr_F
24-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Milligan is a player, a very good one. The rest, especially Mallan are pretty woeful.

Borderhibbie76
24-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Thing is we all said during summer that we were signing too many attacking midfielders and no one to even attempt replicating McGinn or mcgeouch.

Apart from one good transfer window Lennon's signing ratio is poor compared to the likes of Stubbs.Agreed far too many below average signings...now the majority of the Stubbs team has gone we are struggling. Lennon got lucky with the squad he inherited and is now struggling to source adequate replacements

blackpoolhibs
24-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Mallan for me offers very little if not shooting, he did have a good cross for the 2nd goal, but i go for long periods of the games not even noticing that he's playing.

Horgan flatters to deceive, and Milligan looks as if he's the one player in there who knows what his job is.

Today i understand why he went off, he's had a long week.

The Harp Awakes
24-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Been said so many times on here in recent months, but we are missing Scott Allan's creativity massively. I also think McLaren and Flo are much less effective as the service to them is so poor.

Ozyhibby
24-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Glen Kamara bossed the midfield today. Shame we don’t seem interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
24-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Milligan is a player, a very good one. The rest, especially Mallan are pretty woeful.

Milligan was very poor today. None of them are bad players but a back 3 doesn’t work with those players in front.

TelaStella
24-11-2018, 05:38 PM
We don’t have one so I think “get one” would be more appropriate

B.H.F.C
24-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Horgan flatters to deceive

Agree to an extent. But feel a bit sorry for him as well. He’s a winger who we never play as a winger.

Team is so unbalanced and it’s because of poor recruitment in the summer IMO.

Dancehibs
24-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Mallan for me offers very little if not shooting, he did have a good cross for the 2nd goal, but i go for long periods of the games not even noticing that he's playing.

Horgan flatters to deceive, and Milligan looks as if he's the one player in there who knows what his job is.

Today i understand why he went off, he's had a long week.
Said similar things on here early on this season. And got ripped.
badly need new midfielders in January or it’s a long season.

today was lowest ticket sales for league game. Or next home league game a midweek against st Mirren.

Dancehibs
24-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Agree to an extent. But feel a bit sorry for him as well. He’s a winger who we never play as a winger.

Team is so unbalanced and it’s because of poor recruitment in the summer IMO.
Is he a winger ? Never takes a man on. When plays wide he drifts out wide. Blowing out his backside in the second half. Can’t run back when we don’t have the ball. Likewise Mallan. Hence we were over run

we are hibs
24-11-2018, 06:11 PM
It's not even defensively either. The midfield aren't showing for the ball half the time. Too many hiding and waiting for someone else to take the initiative instead of going and making something happen. That's why I find it hard to slam Horgan as at least he is trying to take people on, shoot, go forward. More so than mallan

Smartie
24-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Glen Kamara bossed the midfield today. Shame we don’t seem interested.

He looked exactly the type of player we should be breaking the bank for - exactly what we're missing.

The midfield is a shambles, it's not creating for the strikers and it's not protecting the defence.

Lennon was decisive in changing the frontline last January. He needs to somehow get to January then this time do likewise with the midfield.

I like Lennon as a manager, but it is worrying how much better Stubbs' recruitment seemed to be than any other period over the last 10-15 years. I think Millgan is ok, but Bartley still goes on and improves us. Players like Hybdman, Horgan, Slivka and Mallan come with some pedigree, but simply are not cutting it.

The worrying thing is, that's about the best team we can put out.

Dancehibs
24-11-2018, 06:14 PM
It's not even defensively either. The midfield aren't showing for the ball half the time. Too many hiding and waiting for someone else to take the initiative instead of going and making something happen. That's why I find it hard to slam Horgan as at least he is trying to take people on, shoot, go forward. More so than mallan
Did he have a shot today? Second half Flo only player in box. Boyler out wide wanting to cross . Mallan and Horgan lazy bar stewards not running to get in the box. Because they cannot get about the park

GreenCastle
24-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Mallan has contributed this season with some good goals.

Horgan Is getting played out of position and is low on confidence after being in and out team.

I do feel we lack energy in there and someone who can turn the ball over - Milligan travelled across the world this week and hurt his leg early then he gets a yellow.

Lennon doesn’t know his best team but we are missing a midfielder and probably 2 strikers / left footed wide player.

J-C
24-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Milligan is a good player but tired in the 2nd half, that's when they started to boss us. Mallan is lazy and doesn't do enough, jogs back when he should be sprinting once the ball is lost, very poor at times. Horgan is a wide player ,keep him out there. Slivka is obviously not doing enough in training to justify a start. We're 2-3 midfielders short at the moment.

Dancehibs
24-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Horgan Is getting played out of position and is low on confidence after being in and out team.

I do feel we lack energy in there and someone who can turn the ball over - Milligan travelled across the world this week and hurt his leg early then he gets a yellow.

Lennon doesn’t know his best team but we are missing a midfielder and probably 2 strikers / left footed wide player.
How do you know Horgan is low in confidence?

Hibees1973
24-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Milligan I would keep. He will be the sitting midfielder.

I’m not convinced about the rest of them though. Mallan is not strong enough/no pace and even though he is good at set pieces does not offer enough to the team.

Horgan.......headless chicken
Hyndman....goes missing
Aygepong....injury prone
Slivka.........inconsistent and flatters to deceive

This might seem harsh but it is how I feel just now.

Need Scott Allan as an attacking midfielder....Boyle on the right and a new signing on the left of midfield.

Lennon needs to sort this out in a January or we are looking at a struggle to make top 6.

Hibees1973
24-11-2018, 06:25 PM
He looked exactly the type of player we should be breaking the bank for - exactly what we're missing.

The midfield is a shambles, it's not creating for the strikers and it's not protecting the defence.

Lennon was decisive in changing the frontline last January. He needs to somehow get to January then this time do likewise with the midfield.

I like Lennon as a manager, but it is worrying how much better Stubbs' recruitment seemed to be than any other period over the last 10-15 years. I think Millgan is ok, but Bartley still goes on and improves us. Players like Hybdman, Horgan, Slivka and Mallan come with some pedigree, but simply are not cutting it.

The worrying thing is, that's about the best team we can put out.:top marks

we are hibs
24-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Did he have a shot today? Second half Flo only player in box. Boyler out wide wanting to cross . Mallan and Horgan lazy bar stewards not running to get in the box. Because they cannot get about the park

Boyle didn't put a decent cross in all game. Horgan's decision making is the problem. He gets in good areas and drives well then his final pass and cross let's him down. At least he looks like he's wanting to have a go though. He's clearly not lazy.

Smartie
24-11-2018, 06:28 PM

We're missing 2 or 3 central midfielders and a couple of strikers.

Goalkeeper, wing backs/ fullback, centre halves are fine. Horgan should be played in the right position or not at all. Agyepong looked the part but is going to be permanently injured and totally unreliable so we should be forgetting about him.

There are far too many big players who are not giving us anything like enough - Mallan, Agyepong, McLaren, Kamberi, Horgan, Hyndman and Slivka.

Dancehibs
24-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Boyle didn't put a decent cross in all game. Horgan's decision making is the problem. He gets in good areas and drives well then his final pass and cross let's him down. At least he looks like he's wanting to have a go though. He's clearly not lazy.
Horgan is lazy. Not interested in working without the ball. Mallan included

EH54
24-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Forgot all about hyndman. Where's oil shaw aswell? Lennon just picks the names out a hat I think. Nelom and harry the Greek not in the squad either. His signings are abysmal. Think I'm ranting on every post, so emotional right now haha.

Crammond Hibee
24-11-2018, 09:49 PM
The midfield are all too similar unfortunately

Hermit Crab
24-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Boyle, said it before, championship player at best, shown up again by a defence playing for the bottom team. Can't beat a man and can't cross or pass a ball. He gets an easy ride on here Pish!

Heisenberg
24-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Milligan seems to be getting a bit of an easy ride despite being our worst midfielder by a mile. Gave it away constantly and was so far off the pace.

IberianHibernian
24-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Boyle, said it before, championship player at best, shown up again by a defence playing for the bottom team. Can't beat a man and can't cross or pass a ball. He gets an easy ride on here Pish!Agreed . Thought he was slightly better today than last 6 or 7 matches but only cause we were playing worse team in the division . Effective against bottom 6 or lower or as late sub against tiring teams . Lots of threads having a go at new signings but I think it`s players like Boyle and Kamberi who impressed last season but aren`t producing the goods who`re letting us down .

GreenProfessor
24-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Boyle, said it before, championship player at best, shown up again by a defence playing for the bottom team. Can't beat a man and can't cross or pass a ball. He gets an easy ride on here Pish!

Totally disagree, good player in the right position and system.

My issue this season is the system and personal we have. Last year, played 352 and due to a great midfield created loads of chances that were converted by a good front pair. We still shipped goals but made up for that on chances created.
This season, same system not supported by the same midfield and we don't score or create enough...still shipping goals playing this way. Boyle plays well as a wingback but currently spends half his time tracking back to support Efe. He's not a CF in my book, shouldn't play there.
Earlier in the season we change to flat back 4 and looked a lot more solid at the back, I thought we were a better attacking unit too. We created over 20 chances versus Aberdeen in the cup and they created zip, I'm sure we were 451 (or a variation) that night. So...the question is why have we abandoned that shape.
I wish Lennon would go back to that shape and stick to a basic starting team. Bring in the cover at RB for SDG and stop trying to shoehorn a style of play on a team that can't play that way...

yekimevol
24-11-2018, 10:56 PM
The midfield is shocking, personally I feel if we compare the great midfield of last season to this seasons the player we haven’t replaced is mcgeouch, who takes the ball from the defence and takes / distributes the ball forward.

I honestly believe we’re totally misusing mallan his strengths are in the final third with goals and assists but we have him wasted in a deeper role, he should be the Allan replacement.

Milligan can do the ... defencive side that mcginn did to an extent just not the attacking side.

number9dream
25-11-2018, 10:17 AM
If we're playing a midfield trio like yesterday, it has to be Mallan or Hyndman as the central guy getting nearest the strikers and getting shots off near the box.
But then we need two box-to-box workhorses doing the dirty work and keeping the tempo high and we don't really have those guys. Milligan and Slivka would probably be the closest but appear short in terms of quality and stamina.

If we go with Boyle and Horgan wide and two strikers (with a back four) then we'd get overrun by most teams with Mallan or Hyndman involved, but we would face a lack of creativity in the middle of the pitch with Bartley, Milligan or Slivka making up a central pair.

A diamond with a back four doesn't really suit Boyle on the right and he's not the best as a second striker.

One striker and two high wingers (Kamberi, Boyle, Horgan or Agyepong) with a middle three - leaves us with a similar dilemma to option 1.

Bringing in Scott Allan (leaving his lack of fitness aside) isn't necessarily a quick fix since he'd just be replacing Mallan or Hyndman but he would be an upgrade if he could quickly rediscover last season's form.

A left-sided dynamic midfielder should be top of Lenny's Christmas list but those guys are hard to find.

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2018, 10:22 AM
I said it before, but i'd play Bartley and Milligan if we play a midfield 5, with Boyle and Stevenson wide and Mallan or Horgan behind the front 2.

We are just too open with any other of our options.

Heisenberg
25-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Mallan is a 10. That’s where he played his best football for St Mirren. A couple of their fans said he wouldn’t get involved enough or have the energy to play deeper with them and he often turned in poor performances when played further back.

The problem is we don’t have any other options to play central that will offer us energy or drive and allow him to move higher up. Lennon signed some good footballers but they don’t make up a cohesive unit in midfield.

J-C
25-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Play 4-2-3-1, Milligan holding with Mallan in behind the striker with Boyle/Horgan/AN Other out wide. I'd be looking for a box2box midfielder with energy and strength but that won't come easily, must be someone out there. Watched Nitcham for Celtic yesterday and he was the epitome of a pure box2box player, energy, drive and a willingness to do the dirty work when needed, we have really missed McGinn.

vahibbie
25-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Midfield, what's that ? We didn't seem to have one yesterday.

Crammond Hibee
25-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Midfield, what's that ? We didn't seem to have one yesterday.

And when the other team have the ball we let them play

Smartie
25-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Mallan is a 10. That’s where he played his best football for St Mirren. A couple of their fans said he wouldn’t get involved enough or have the energy to play deeper with them and he often turned in poor performances when played further back.

The problem is we don’t have any other options to play central that will offer us energy or drive and allow him to move higher up. Lennon signed some good footballers but they don’t make up a cohesive unit in midfield.

I think his is where our problems come from, and I'd play Mallan off Kamberi.

Bartley has done well again recently so I'd be tempted to stick him in there and push Milligan further forward, with either Hyndman or Slivka as the third midfielder.

We're persisting with the same kind of thing (midfield with Mallan, Milligan and AN Other), and it's just not working.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Play 4-2-3-1, Milligan holding with Mallan in behind the striker with Boyle/Horgan/AN Other out wide. I'd be looking for a box2box midfielder with energy and strength but that won't come easily, must be someone out there. Watched Nitcham for Celtic yesterday and he was the epitome of a pure box2box player, energy, drive and a willingness to do the dirty work when needed, we have really missed McGinn.

Kamara is the player that would unlock all of that for us.

tamig
25-11-2018, 11:59 AM
I think his is where our problems come from, and I'd play Mallan off Kamberi.

Bartley has done well again recently so I'd be tempted to stick him in there and push Milligan further forward, with either Hyndman or Slivka as the third midfielder.

We're persisting with the same kind of thing (midfield with Mallan, Milligan and AN Other), and it's just not working.

If you were playing Milligan further ahead of Bartley, what kind of role would you see him in? He just doesn’t look like a forward thinking player at all to me.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 12:05 PM
If you were playing Milligan further ahead of Bartley, what kind of role would you see him in? He just doesn’t look like a forward thinking player at all to me.

He's a decent passer, gets stuck in and is reasonably mobile (not yesterday, but he's just back from a pretty gruelling trip). If we don't play him, we lack any grit.

I definitely don't think this is the longterm answer, but I'm just trying to come up with suggestions that we haven't tried yet.

Our midfield is crap, there is only so much that we can do with who we have. I like Marvin Bartley, and I've been concerned at how easy it is to play through our midfield.

neil7908
25-11-2018, 12:16 PM
We've been poor for weeks now so this certainly isn't the only factor but it can't help us to have Boyle, McLaren and Milligan all traveling to the other side of the world and only getting back a few days ago.

Whilst it seems like a positive to have so many internationals in the squad, the downside is we don't have the resources large clubs do to give our top players a rest when needed.

With the 3 players above almost certainly away for January we'll need to think seriously about how to not just improve the squad, but ensure we have adequate cover. That seems pretty daunting at the moment.

tamig
25-11-2018, 12:21 PM
He's a decent passer, gets stuck in and is reasonably mobile (not yesterday, but he's just back from a pretty gruelling trip). If we don't play him, we lack any grit.

I definitely don't think this is the longterm answer, but I'm just trying to come up with suggestions that we haven't tried yet.

Our midfield is crap, there is only so much that we can do with who we have. I like Marvin Bartley, and I've been concerned at how easy it is to play through our midfield.

I thought our midfield played very well against Hamilton and actually looked like an effective unit. I don’t think its been seen again since.

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Let’s go back to the old John Collins days hunt in packs to win the ball back 😂
Unfortunately we have to play to our strengths until the window there is nothing we can do about it until then
We have to make the best of what we have got and that must mean starting Bartley to avoid us getting run over in midfield
Let’s get behind the Manager and the team

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2018, 12:29 PM
I thought our midfield played very well against Hamilton and actually looked like an effective unit. I don’t think its been seen again since.
Hamilton were pish though! 🤔

jeffers
25-11-2018, 12:31 PM
I've said this a few times now, but the midfield players we signed in the summer all have ability but I've no idea how they are supposed to fit into a formation that works and judging on his constant changing in team selections neither does NL. I get that we would struggle to replace last season's midfield in one window, but we've not even come close to it, nor have we even signed players of similar styles - we have no box to box midfielder and no midfielder that can thread a pass. Milligan plays in a similar part of the field as McGeouch and while not as skilful at least provides a bit more defensive cover, but the lack of workrate and dig from the other signings puts far too much pressure on him.

McLaren has had a lot of stick, but for me that's down to NL. He's not a player who was unknown to him, in signing him again it would come as no surprise that he needs service to flourish, but I'm struggling to work out who is supposed to provide that as none of the midfielders have shown they can consistently pick a pass. We also have three wingers in the squad. but our main striker seems unwilling to actually header a ball.

I think the ship has sailed but I genuinely think Scott Allan would make a big difference to the team. Yesterday was the first time I really watched Kamara and I thought he looked a class act, if there is any chance we could get him in January we should try.

Oh and a striker with some presence who can actually header a ball - I can see why we were linked with Tom Eaves, him or someone like him is needed.

Smartie
25-11-2018, 01:32 PM
I've said this a few times now, but the midfield players we signed in the summer all have ability but I've no idea how they are supposed to fit into a formation that works and judging on his constant changing in team selections neither does NL. I get that we would struggle to replace last season's midfield in one window, but we've not even come close to it, nor have we even signed players of similar styles - we have no box to box midfielder and no midfielder that can thread a pass. Milligan plays in a similar part of the field as McGeouch and while not as skilful at least provides a bit more defensive cover, but the lack of workrate and dig from the other signings puts far too much pressure on him.

McLaren has had a lot of stick, but for me that's down to NL. He's not a player who was unknown to him, in signing him again it would come as no surprise that he needs service to flourish, but I'm struggling to work out who is supposed to provide that as none of the midfielders have shown they can consistently pick a pass. We also have three wingers in the squad. but our main striker seems unwilling to actually header a ball.

I think the ship has sailed but I genuinely think Scott Allan would make a big difference to the team. Yesterday was the first time I really watched Kamara and I thought he looked a class act, if there is any chance we could get him in January we should try.

Oh and a striker with some presence who can actually header a ball - I can see why we were linked with Tom Eaves, him or someone like him is needed.

Hyndman can thread a pass, but any midfield containing him and Mallan will be exposed and overrun.

McLaren has been awful this season, he almost caused problems yesterday by closing down poor defenders but he was pitiful in possession.

Kamberi can header a ball, but it needs to be delivered to him in the right way.

Horgan and Agyepong can beat players and get decent balls in, but Horgan is played out of position and Agyepong is permanently injured.

tamig
25-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Hamilton were pish though! 🤔

Aye but Dundee were below them.

500miles
25-11-2018, 02:04 PM
We'll end up playing 433/451. We need the extra man in midfield with Mcginn gone, and Kamberi leading the line.

Maclaren might find himself coming on from bench, or having to adapt his game as part of a front 3.

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Aye but Dundee were below them.

Even worse then still pish! 😂

GreenProfessor
25-11-2018, 03:37 PM
We'll end up playing 433/451. We need the extra man in midfield with Mcginn gone, and Kamberi leading the line.

Maclaren might find himself coming on from bench, or having to adapt his game as part of a front 3.

Agreed

Diclonius
16-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Get a new one.

I take it back.

Heisenberg
16-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Stevie Mallan played the McGeough role to perfection with a couple of shots in as well.

Diclonius
16-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Stevie Mallan played the McGeough role to perfection with a couple of shots in as well.

Yup. If he does that every week then we have a player. Hopefully the confidence boost he needs.

hibee_girl
16-12-2018, 02:37 PM

:agree: